This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
    Just about to watch Mad Men for the first time.
    Interested to hear you thoughts on this. I've only recently watched the first series and for the first time ever, I'm disappointed at a BBV recommendation.

Loved the sets, the costumes, and the lighting. That was about it. It's no Wire or Sopranos IMO

Though I will watch it again, just in case it was my bad mood that ruined it for me.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
      Interested to hear you thoughts on this. I've only recently watched the first series and for the first time ever, I'm disappointed at a BBV recommendation.

Loved the sets, the costumes, and the lighting. That was about it. It's no Wire or Sopranos IMO

Though I will watch it again, just in case it was my bad mood that ruined it for me.
      Failed to grab me by the nuts also, feeling the same for Oz...
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
        heard this comparison on the radio today and put together a quick video to compare...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_UADhSiqz4
        [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJpgmcMV3n4[/ame]
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
          I do think it's very good, excellent acting, well written, interesting storylines (even if they do move frustratingly slowly)
          Man Men is just a show out on it's own, sure it hasn't got the action of Spartacus for example, but every scene is just loaded that it has a whole different type of action.

Take for instance, in the last episode, the seemingly benign conversation Don has with his secretary about the holidays while signing some documents.

Combined with the phenomenal sets, acting, etc and the 60s booze and women lifestyle it's up there with the Wire for me.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3OIT7mxDQ[/ame]

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
              heard this comparison on the radio today and put together a quick video to compare...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_UADhSiqz4

Bit worried you recognized it tbh

Probably the same studio engineer or something

Id say its a safe bet Steps took it from somewhere else anyway, don't see them as the kind of band who wrote sheet music and harmonies

Comment

Anyone been watching the documentary on more4 about the amazon swim??

Amazing stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                  Anyone been watching the documentary on more4 about the amazon swim??

Amazing stuff
                  Big River Man ?

Watched Touching the Void last night, amazing story of just how deep a human being can dig to survive!

Opr

Comment

that is class, their videos are interesting!
                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1CKesTyTpI[/ame]
                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrLBZVSrDR4[/ame]
                    Last edited by Zuroph; 18-08-10, 00:01.
                    http://mobro.co/zuroph
                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                      Big River Man ?

Watched Touching the Void last night, amazing story of just how deep a human being can dig to survive!

Opr
                      yeh big river man, great documentary.

never seen that touching the void but read about it there now, will be worth a watch sometime alright

Comment

Touching the void is just amazing. I saw it in the cinema when it came out.

Comment

Anelka suspended for eighteen international matches.

Evra for five and Ribery for three.

I doubt any of them give a sh1t really.

Last edited by dannydiamond; 18-08-10, 00:10.
                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                            +1 on Mad Men,it's good but not that good.Maybe I need to a bit further in,i'm only on the third eppy.
                            Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                              Ban. Not for Mad Men, I watched the 1st episode and wasn't interested, but any man who doesn't like Oz has questions to answer. The first being: why don't you like Oz. And the second probably: how did you catch the ghey?

Comment

w$EGR%$@ :HW$L%H YW$:L%HY:Q Q!QQQQ£$Y:LQ! cheap lead before break with 27left gonzo in 21st!! dam yamaha donks!!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                  Ban. Not for Mad Men, I watched the 1st episode and wasn't interested, but any man who doesn't like Oz has questions to answer. The first being: why don't you like Oz. And the second probably: how did you catch the ghey?
                                  I thought it was about men getting raped,how does that make the rest of us ghey?

Comment

Never said i didnt like it !

It is entertaining, but i feel nothing ever really happens, I have only seen the first 8 tbh but when I find myself watching something for the sake of it, it tends to get pushed to the back of the pile to be discovered at a later date.

Maybe I just have too many on the go at the one time, I am sure it will be revisited again.

Edit to add: My big mistake was I was a late started to The Sopranos, watched it all in about a month i think and tend to base every other show on that...as i have said before,thats a show that should be kept till you are told you have 6 weeks to live, nothing will ever come close to it imo.
                                    Last edited by oleras; 18-08-10, 00:47.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

All this talk of TV shows really made me want to write more about Six Feet Under as its still rattling around in my head.

All my favourite shows have been about things which deal with big issues and by nature have thus been naturally entertaining. Shows like The Wire, The Sopranos and The West Wing all deal with elaborate stories which to me personally are fantasy and this means enjoyment comes largely from a voyeuristic place.
                                      Six Feet Under is different in that it deals with real life, its relationships and hardships. I think by the end of it I could relate on a real life level with the show and its characters. During the show I really felt part of the Fisher family and its the reason the ending had such an impact.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                        At what point in those quotes did Defoe say anything remotely like what the headline said he said? Am I missing something here?
                                        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

All this talk of TV shows really made me want to write more about Six Feet Under as its still rattling around in my head.

All my favourite shows have been about things which deal with big issues and by nature have thus been naturally entertaining. Shows like The Wire, The Sopranos and The West Wing all deal with elaborate stories which to me personally are fantasy and this means enjoyment comes largely from a voyeuristic place.
                                          Six Feet Under is different in that it deals with real life, its relationships and hardships. I think by the end of it I could relate on a real life level with the show and its characters. During the show I really felt part of the Fisher family and its the reason the ending had such an impact.

Opr
                                          I started it last month on holidays, finished season 2 last weekend. very enjoyable and easy to watch 3 or 4 in a row. The mother is fantastic !
                                          SPOILER
                                          Just freaky seeing Dexter make out with a bloke, I still half expect him to produce a needle from behind his back and stick him in the neck !
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Opr
                                            Sounds kinda gay.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                              Sounds kinda gay.
                                              I don't think you're allowed spell ghey like that on the interweb.

Comment

Didn't mean to offend you.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                  I don't think you're allowed spell ghey like that on the interweb.
                                                  No no, Oleras not loving Oz is ghey, what Opr wrote was definitely gay, verging on munting tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                                    Sounds kinda gay.
                                                    Well, the lead actor does tend to munch on the odd cock !
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

No no, Oleras not loving Oz is ghey, what Opr wrote was definitely gay, verging on munting tbh.
                                                      I'm glad we were able to clear this matter up.

Comment

Love calling light with suited connectors, flop the flush on an ace high board, and his premium pair turns the nuts! ghey!!

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                          Love calling light with suited connectors, flop the flush on an ace high board, and his premium pair turns the nuts! ghey!!
                                                          Why do you love it? Usually tilts me.

Comment

Opr
                                                            Show that was always on my radar but just got around to watching but downloaded season after reading your post. I've heard a few times, all right, that the series finale is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              The Young Boys v Spurs thread on boards is worth a read for silly giggles, a good 30% of the posts are puns.
                                                              Just had a quick look off it there, some funny posts alright.
                                                              Seen this clip from Soccer AM? I was going to post it on that thread but haven't got permissions in Soccer & couldn't be bothered applying for them. Hardly ever read this thread btw, so this might have been posted already.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uBO74hyf8[/ame]

Comment

Watching Big River Man atm

In Eastern Europeana accent "there are fish in Amazon that can swim up penis, and if they do, no more penis"

lol

Comment

Going straight to the last post of the BBV and reading it backwards is ghey.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                                    Going straight to the last post of the BBV and reading it backwards is ghey.
                                                                    That's what I always end up doing too! No idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by H8GHOTI View Post
                                                                      Just had a quick look off it there, some funny posts alright.
                                                                      Seen this clip from Soccer AM? I was going to post it on that thread but haven't got permissions in Soccer & couldn't be bothered applying for them. Hardly ever read this thread btw, so this might have been posted already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uBO74hyf8
                                                                      so childish

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                        Why do you love it? Usually tilts me.
                                                                        tilted half my roll tonight after playing rush!. wish they'd get rid of that!.

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                                          tilted half my roll tonight after playing rush!. wish they'd get rid of that!.
                                                                          Its like a drug!

Comment

Final Table of $16.50 - $1,000 guaranteed on ppp at the mo.

let's do this!!

Comment

ah here, that's just rude...

all in then with 66,,called by Ace 5...ace on flop...fml

Comment

Originally posted by DJKendo View Post
                                                                                ah here, that's just rude...

all in then with 66,,called by Ace 5...ace on flop...fml
                                                                                Ruh roh. I think the curse is coming back...
                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                                                  Ruh roh. I think the curse is coming back...
                                                                                  Random question, but what does the FB stand for in your name?
                                                                                  Just asking because i've jsut relised what I've mentally been reading it as

Comment

Fat Bastard?

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                      Fat Bastard?
                                                                                      CHD is correct! Back in '97 in the dark ages of the internet, I chose the username "andyfatbastard" for a web forum. My (ironic) nickname at school was "The Fat Bastard". It stuck. A few years later Mike Myers came along with his character in Austin Powers 2, but I swear I got there first!

I shortened it when I started playing online games since a lot of them wouldn't allow the "bastard" in the name. The name is no longer ironic, so the FB is a bit more comfortable.
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ship

Chopped the Voodoo 25 e freezeout 3 ways for 150 with Ronan and some other guy, had over half the chips in play but it was all in or fold every hand so i suggested the split, Went down as a win so i'm pleased.

Couple of Questionable hands which ill be posting in Theory.
                                                                                        Last edited by BrianByrne; 18-08-10, 03:41.
                                                                                        Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Wait, does this mean I'm Andy Facebook now? Ugh. I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianByrne View Post
                                                                                            Ship

Chopped the Voodoo 25 e freezeout 3 ways for 150 with Ronan and some other guy, had over half the chips in play but it was all in or fold every hand so i suggested the split, Went down as a win so i'm pleased.

Couple of Questionable hands which ill be posting in Theory.
                                                                                            Did the other two get 150?

Comment

Yeah, i know it sounds silly, but literally a couple of hands before i was the shortstack. Doubled up which put me over 100k, (180kish in play according to the clock).

With 3 remaining, blinds 4/8k All in every hand it seemed the right thing to do.
                                                                                              Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Sounds like you screwed yourself there Brian tbh.
                                                                                                It's all an illusion

Comment

I know Damo posted a hand similar to this in the Theory section so ill just get a couple of your opinions here.

Blinds are 300/600 Final 2 tables.

Villain1 is UTG and open Ships all in for 5950 Villain2 Ronan (NuckChorris) is UTG+1, he has 20k + behind and has me covered. He Flat calls.

It folds around to me on the button, i am above average in chips with 14.8kish.

I look down at 10 10, what do you do here?
                                                                                                  Last edited by BrianByrne; 18-08-10, 04:22.
                                                                                                  Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

I know Damo posted a hand similar to this in the Theory section so ill just get a couple of your opinions here.

Blinds are 300/600 Final 2 tables.

Villain1 is UTG and open Ships all in for 5950 Villain2 Ronan (NuckChorris) is UTG+1, he has 20k + behind and has me covered. He Flat calls.

It folds around to me on the button, i am above average in chips with 14.8kish.

I look down at 10 10, what do you do here?
                                                                                                    What's the average. Meh Fold

Comment

Folding

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                        Anyone know where i can get a book called Kill Everyone , author Lee Nelson and Kim Lee , Ive been on Easons website but no joy
                                                                                                        Must be a present for someone, a book is hardly for you

Comment

Fold

Comment

ALL IN

pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                                                                              Wait, does this mean I'm Andy Facebook now? Ugh. I hope not.
                                                                                                              lol This is exactly what I have been reading it as
                                                                                                              Yeah, i know it sounds silly, but literally a couple of hands before i was the shortstack. Doubled up which put me over 100k, (180kish in play according to the clock).

With 3 remaining, blinds 4/8k All in every hand it seemed the right thing to do.
                                                                                                              You had leverage, you should of used it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
                                                                                                                I had a fairly heated argument one day in work with a guy about an issue quote similar to this.

He believed it was much easier for top athletes to be in the shape they are in because they have an army of coaches, professionals, trainers and nutritionists and that its all laid out for them. A coach cant make you squat 2+ times your bodyweight, he cant make you eat flawlessly, cant make you do the hard graft or be future orientated. That you and you alone.

I genuinely havent talked to him since, the utter retardation of that view is lost on him. I put it down to the begrudging Irish attitude and naivety tbh. Its amazing how he can think it.

The determination and work ethic to STAY at the top, never mind get there is mind boggling. For example, Del Piero used to spend hours a day turning his garage light switch on and off with a tennis ball. Ronaldo does the 300 workout every second day AFTER training. Tiger Woods used to do his 100putts before he went home, 100 puts from inside 7ft without missing one or he would start again.

Driven is the only word that can describe elite athletes, its got very little to do with talent and a hell of a lot more to do with mental and physical toughness and its not just sports fans that forget this.
                                                                                                                Bang! Great post.
                                                                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

on the Mad Men thing, just finished Season 3 last night (TD, I'll be lending that to you when required). Looking forward to Season 4 already.

Anyone who is looking for 'action' in The Wire or The Sopranos sense is obviously going to be disappointed and for that reason, I can understand why many people would say they don't get MM. It's all about the characters. The sense of a lost time (pre Women's Lib , pre 60s revolution ) is also very apparent and, to me anyway, quite poignant.

Was watching it the other day and lolling to myself as the main character seduces his daughter's primary school teacher, got caught by Mrs Duke III and she accused me of 'wanting to be Don Draper'. Good read by her, naturally I bluffed my way out of it. I think.
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

You win this round insomnia, WP.
                                                                                                                    It's all an illusion

Comment

I always wondered how many of the elite athletes in the world could be diagnosed with OCD? All those stories about beckham, del piero and their insane training devotion could have a basis in their brain chemistry.
                                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                        on the Mad Men thing, just finished Season 3 last night (TD, I'll be lending that to you when required). Looking forward to Season 4 already.

Anyone who is looking for 'action' in The Wire or The Sopranos sense is obviously going to be disappointed and for that reason, I can understand why many people would say they don't get MM. It's all about the characters. The sense of a lost time (pre Women's Lib , pre 60s revolution ) is also very apparent and, to me anyway, quite poignant.

Was watching it the other day and lolling to myself as the main character seduces his daughter's primary school teacher, got caught by Mrs Duke III and she accused me of 'wanting to be Don Draper'. Good read by her, naturally I bluffed my way out of it. I think.
                                                                                                                        Best show on TV. Season 4 is a little different again and is building nicely.

Comment

Putting Mad Men on the same page as a comic like Spartacus is ridonkulous. It is definitely a top 10 series, perhaps a bit too subtle for some.
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X