This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
    Like old times. Always preferred donkeys more though...
    Sleep is not an option Kev, caught with your pants down there so to speak

Comment

Omaha teaser

taken from Poker Europa

You hold 3h3s3d9h

What two boards (excluding a board with 9s on it) can give you the nuts. ie obv 999xx (where xx is a pair less than 9s) is the nuts but what two other boards.

Put your answer in spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
        taken from Poker Europa

You hold 3h3s3d9h

What two boards (excluding a board with 9s on it) can give you the nuts. ie obv 999xx (where xx is a pair less than 9s) is the nuts but what two other boards.

Put your answer in spoilers.
        easy:

SPOILER
        AKQJThhhhh and 22223

Comment

if anyone has today's irish Times, they have recreated the face of a cave man on Page 1

for some unaccountable reason, he reminds me greatly of a well-known poster here....
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Is this Hitchhikers handiwork I wonder?

Mmm, Umami: Elusive Fifth Taste Hits Shelves

4:48pm UK, Wednesday February 10, 2010

Ed Merrison, Sky News Online
            Homecooking buffs look poised to have their lives spiced up when a new ingredient - which pretty much sells itself as distilled perfection - becomes widely available.

Tubes of umami, whose Japanese name roughly translates as "deliciousness", will hit UK shelves next week.

The product has been described as "the fifth taste" because it does not squeeze into the traditional categories of sweet, salty, sour and bitter.

Waitrose will be the first supermarket to stock Taste No 5, a paste made from umami-rich foods such as tomato, parmesan cheese and porcini mushrooms.

The product has been developed by Laura Santtini, a chef and food writer, and boasts it can act as a "flavour bomb" for any savoury dish, from roasts and bakes to pastas, soups and stews.

It can also be used as a condiment spread for panini, crostini and dressings.

The existence of the umami taste was first discovered early last century by the Japanese and, although widely adopted in Italian cuisine, has only recently been accepted by Western scientists.

It is now taken to refer to the intensely savoury taste imparted by glutamates and five ribonucleotides which occur naturally in many foods such as meat, fish, vegetables and dairy products.

Waitrose grocery buyer John Vine said: "This is such a great product, one which will help cooks at all levels, as well as being the perfect complement to any kitchen.

"Taste No 5 is such an innovation and Waitrose is proud to be the first supermarket to stock it."

Comment

Is this Hitchhikers handiwork I wonder?
              I call truth on this one (without even resorting to Google)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                I call truth on this one (without even resorting to Google)
                Just had a look at the list of umami rich foods on the wiki and plenty of stuff there I like. Am hungry now!

Comment

Just had a look at the list of umami rich foods on the wiki and plenty of stuff there I like. Am hungry now!
                  ahhhh good auld monosodium glutamate

Comment

ahhhh good auld monosodium glutamate
                    Is it MSG? Just the Japanese version of it?

Comment

there has to be a bunch of strange goings on when ireland is repeatedly described as being secure and prudent!

Comment

Is it MSG? Just the Japanese version of it?
                        MSG is a Japanese invention!

here's what wikipedia says, I haven't a bulls notion what any of this means:

"The umami taste is due to the detection of the carboxylate anion of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid common in meat, cheese, broth, stock, and other protein-heavy foods. Salts of glutamic acid, known as glutamates, easily ionize to give the same carboxylate form and therefore the same taste. For this reason, they are used as flavor enhancers. The most commonly used of these is monosodium glutamate (MSG). While the umami taste is due to glutamates, 5'-ribonucleotides such as guanosine monophosphate (GMP) and inosine monophosphate (IMP) greatly enhance its perceived intensity. Since these ribonucleotides are also acids, their salts are sometimes added together with glutamates to obtain a synergistic flavor enhancement effect."

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                          there has to be a bunch of strange goings on when ireland is repeatedly described as being secure and prudent!

Comment

CNN and some Brit commentators on Sky News were citing us as the example of how it should be done, sort of the anti-Greece. LOL.
                            When the cretins in FF hear that they will be straight back to businesss. "Ah Shure of course you can put me cousin on the board to get that new shopping centere / hotel built Shure aren't CNN Saying dat we have the hole mess sorted out"
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

TIP : If you are going to buy someone an I-reader, ask them 1st if they would like one, and don't assume they will be
                              delighted at your kind thoughtfulness in saving them the hassle of turning on/off beside lamps for reading and instead
                              Reading from an i-reader with it's own build in backlight and 1000s of books to choose from. Believe it or not, some people just want to read a germ carrying, tree felling book and quite enjoy the zombiefied stretch and moan as she turns off the beside lamp. I feel betrayed as it lies unused since Christmas. I'm stealking it. (stealking is my new word for stealing something that you've had your eye on for a few weeks now)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                CNN and some Brit commentators on Sky News were citing us as the example of how it should be done, sort of the anti-Greece. LOL.
                                When the cretins in FF hear that they will be straight back to businesss. "Ah Shure of course you can put me cousin on the board to get that new shopping centere / hotel built Shure aren't CNN Saying dat we have the hole mess sorted out"
                                truer than you know, the geniuses in the South Dublin county council approved a new town of 11,200 houses earlier this week at Clonburris.

was it Einstein that defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

edit; please change the thread title, use Solksjaer's new word

Comment

truer than you know, the geniuses in the South Dublin county council approved a new town of 11,200 houses earlier this week at Clonburris.

was it Einstein that defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

edit; please change the thread title, use Solksjaer's new word
                                  oh ffs, I was doing it after I read his post but now it looks like its just cause you told us to. Boo-urns

Comment

LOL, The BBV dictionary out next Christmas in Hardback.(an i-reader) At least it's not as bad as munting. I'm still recoving from that one.

Comment

I read a few Spanish newspapers in Madrid at the weekend (I have this bizarre ability to be able to read Spanish, but can't speak/write a word nor understand a spoken word !) and a few economic articles were referring to the PIGS.
                                      Now when PIGS is mentioned in an Irish newspaper the 'I' is usually said to refer to Italy and Ireland, but the Spanish newspapers would always refer to just Italy.
                                      So its seems despite some of the doom and gloom here that we are not actually considered as a basket-case in Europe yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                        LOL, The BBV dictionary out next Christmas in Hardback.(an i-reader) At least it's not as bad as munting. I'm still recoving from that one.
                                        You weren't meant to actually try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                          I read a few Spanish newspapers in Madrid at the weekend (I have this bizarre ability to be able to read Spanish, but can't speak/write a word nor understand a spoken word !) and a few economic articles were referring to the PIGS.
                                          Now when PIGS is mentioned in an Irish newspaper the 'I' is usually said to refer to Italy and Ireland, but the Spanish newspapers would always refer to just Italy.
                                          So its seems despite some of the doom and gloom here that we are not actually considered as a basket-case in Europe yet.
                                          FYI; most analysts would use the PIIGS acronym now

it's not that we are not a basket case (all the figures and projections show that we most definitely are) but rather that the Greeks make everyone else look less bad (not good) by comparison!

I'd rather have Greece's economic fundamentals than ours. It all boils down to the fallout from the Bubble

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            citing us as the example of how it should be done, sort of the anti-Greece.
                                            a lot of articles i've come across hold up ireland as an example of solid stewardship in the face of the economic downturn, unlike those lazy, lying, useless greeks.

Comment

a lot of articles i've come across hold up ireland as an example of solid stewardship in the face of the economic downturn, unlike those lazy, lying, useless greeks.
                                              jaysus

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                You weren't meant to actually try it out.
                                                Never fall asleep at a Celtic Poker game.

Comment

Originally posted by K1NG View Post

Love that track - but much prefer the Beatles version though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNMr...eature=related
                                                  Great alright.
                                                  But I loved that Harrisons son was there playing and obviously in awe of the lads playing.
                                                  Also, Prince is fucking aces
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                      Is there any easy way of doctoring the properties of Word documents to make them look like they were created in the past? I'm pretty sure changing the system time in the BIOS will allow for this but then I'd have to go and change it back afterwards....

Oh and David McWilliams was down in Waterford City Council today, he basically said that the country is fucked and to get out of it if you can. He's obviously been reading El Stuntman's posts.

yep.

There are a few programs around that'll do it for ya or you can do it in DOS if you have the stones

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                        PIIGS isn't used so much anymore. We have been (slightly prematurely imo) freed from the bad country acronym. Well The Economist at the weekend and the big investment houses only use PIGS now without Ireland.

Greece is absolutely fcked. It and the likes of Portugal are just irrelevant countries from an economic perspective ... terrible education systems, bloated hugely inefficient public services, speaking the wrong language, high taxes and costs to doing business. This is on top of their debt and deficits.
                                                        I'd disupte that; I get tons of emails from sovereign analysts every day and the vast majority of them use PIIGS when discussing the 'dodgy' Eurozone countries. I agree that Ireland is flying under the radar at the moment but that doesn't mean that our overall situation is improving, far from it.

My comment about preferring to have Greece's economic fundamentals is based not on their education systems, their bloated hugely inefficient public services (although that sounds very familiar ) or any of the other stuff you mention but their banks. We had an insane property bubble here and FF have put us on the hook for the debts arising from that. That's what's going to weigh us down for decades.

Comment

Comment

TIP : If you are going to buy someone an I-reader, ask them 1st if they would like one, and don't assume they will be
                                                            delighted at your kind thoughtfulness in saving them the hassle of turning on/off beside lamps for reading and instead
                                                            Reading from an i-reader with it's own build in backlight and 1000s of books to choose from. Believe it or not, some people just want to read a germ carrying, tree felling book and quite enjoy the zombiefied stretch and moan as she turns off the beside lamp. I feel betrayed as it lies unused since Christmas. I'm stealking it. (stealking is my new word for stealing something that you've had your eye on for a few weeks now)
                                                            Personally I'd prefer a book than an i-reader and I'm a huge tech head

Comment

Mine is gathering dust in a drawer for nigh on six months now - was great initially, passing train journey from Limerick to Belfast with an endless supply of books that I will never read, but now, meh.

I started reading crime and punishment on the reader, but couldnt finish it - and last week I bought the paper back!

Comment

Ok, I'll fall for it.

What does PIIGS stand for? I presume it is an acronym that describes basket case economies, but can't figure out what is actually stands for.

Comment

Feck it, Jackanory FTW.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ultimately things like education and business friendliness are far more important than these debts. The worst case scenario from NAMA is a €25bn loss and that is unlikely. Even if it did happen we'd be fine. These are disgraceful losses, but nothing a country the size of Ireland can't handle. That's what the markets are looking at and its why our CDS spread has narrowed so much.
                                                                        where do you get that number from? (the NAMA business plan is pure fiction so I hope it's not from there)

We've already thrown 7bn into BoI and AIB and 4bn into Anglo - with billions more to come. Does your number include those recaps?

Does your number include future debt servicing costs?

We could build world-leading (not just world-class), free, education systems for the money we are incincerating in NAMA and the banks.

We could have a LUAS running down every boreen! Is the opportunity cost of this bailout included in your number?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by K1NG View Post
                                                                            Mine is gathering dust in a drawer for nigh on six months now - was great initially, passing train journey from Limerick to Belfast with an endless supply of books that I will never read, but now, meh.

I started reading crime and punishment on the reader, but couldnt finish it - and last week I bought the paper back!
                                                                            I do all my reading from the comforting glow of an iPod touch. Only downside is the battery life isn't long enough to finish large books in a single sitting.
                                                                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

...

Comment

Am a step ahead of you! My crime and punishment paperback is gathering dust for about six months. Don't know why as its an excellent read. btw The Gambler by Doestevsky is well worth the read if it hasn't already been read.
                                                                                From what I have read, its really interesting but very tough going though (apparently, I got one of the less good translations!). Looking forward to starting over.

Havent read The Gambler - must look into that too. Also picked up "The Brothers Kamazov" (sp?) so lots to keep me going for a while (now, if only I could find some spare time to actually read)!

Comment

It never rains but it pores.
                                                                                  2nd interview today, went meh, asking silly questions (user cant print, what do you do etc?) walked it and will find out later.

Got a phone call and another company wants to hire me off the strength of my cv (6 month contract rolling), more money better company more used ot what I'm doing (SQL based)

Got a classic bird in the hand, two in the bush scenerio

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    2nd interview today, went meh, asking silly questions (user cant print, what do you do etc?) walked it and will find out later.

Got a phone call and another company wants to hire me off the strength of my cv (6 month contract rolling), more money better company more used ot what I'm doing (SQL based)

Good to have options DP, best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

get an improved offer out of Crowd 1 on the basis of Crowd 2's offer, then take it back to Crowd 2 and ask them to match it

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                                                        How good is the BBV at multi-tasking?

Multitask: How well can you multitask? Put your multitasking skills to the test by seeing just how many games you can play at once!

I keep failing on the third game!
                                                                                        Great game! I faultered at the 3rd too just when i think it was about to go to level 4!

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUS6nKpddec&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

beware of Greeks bearing defaults

deal done, apparently

Comment

Comment

loled when i seen this

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                                                                                                  Great game! I faultered at the 3rd too just when i think it was about to go to level 4!
                                                                                                  I got to the forth game. Jesus was it hard. Ya have to use the spacebar to jump over walls.

Just got onto the fifth one there now. You have to use your face and smash it into the keyboard everytime this dot appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                                                                                                    loled when I SAW this

FYP

Taking it back to annoying grammar mistakes. There hasn't been much correction around here in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                                                                                      FYP

Taking it back to annoying grammar mistakes. There hasn't been much correction around here in a while.

Let lose the dogs of war

Comment

Seen/saw is just such a retarded tilting mistake

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                                          Let loose the dogs of war
                                                                                                          Not sure if you did this on purpose, but fyp.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                                            Let lose the dogs of war
                                                                                                            Let slip.
                                                                                                            Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

It's all about the content not the medium. You need to put some trashy cheap ass books on it not literary classics and watch it get gobbled up.
                                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by TomD
                                                                                                                effect/affect has the same effect on me
                                                                                                                There and their for me.
                                                                                                                Don't even get me started on than and then or two, too and to.
                                                                                                                I need a paracetamol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                                                                                                  There and their for me.
                                                                                                                  Don't even get me started on than and then or two, too and to.
                                                                                                                  I need a paracetamol.

Take too, it will have a better affect then one.

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                                                                                                                    Take too, it will have a better affect then one.
                                                                                                                    To wright it wood

Comment

i presume stealking is the latest guy to join the forum

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Does anybody know anybody interesting worth following on twitter. Pref sportsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                          Does anybody know anybody interesting worth following on twitter. Pref sportsmen.

well she's athletic at least

Ryan Babels twitter is fun too

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X