Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just made my first (and hopefully last) ever complaint to the advertising standards authority: www.stopdrinking.ie/

The prick actually went onto the psychology forum on boards a few weeks ago to spam it and got an earful from me.

Comment

I was out for a spin in the sunshine today and dug oot a three cd compilation called 'renaissance the classics'.
      Had forgotten what a brilliant comp selection it was. The mixing of the tunes is flawless.

Here's a couple of my forgotten gems!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0DJpbXum7k[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iQl46-zIcM[/ame]

I never forgot about this tune, prob my fav ever but it's on the comp cd

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHixChYgGRI[/ame]
      We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Lovely Maradona has resigned. Argies now have a chance in 2014.
        It could be another 1950 moment if they win it in Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
          Zombies, Darabont and more Zombies

Reading about this has made my morning.

It due to air around October. Below is a interview with Darabont and a few of the first cast pictures.

Opr
          Couple more details about the show.

It is due to air this Oct. Already got renewed and they haven't even aired an episode!

While at Comic Con, producer and series overlord Frank Darabont has announced a second series has been green-lit so impressed are AMC with what’s been delivered already.
          Bear McCreary of BSG fame is doing the score!

Cam trailer which was recorded by someone at comic con. I am sure the proper release should be around in a few days.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHN6goQTP9k[/ame]

Few more details in this article.

All things considered it is shaping up to be one hell of a TV show.

Opr
          Last edited by Opr; 27-07-10, 23:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Where could be better?
            1 that provides a decent passport service

For a start Japan, now I was only there for a brief time but an incredible place. The subway system puts our excuse of a transport network to shame.
            Lot of data about Scandinavia although I haven't been there so guess I am basing on 2nd hand experience.

I guess you could identify a near infinite number of metrics to measure quality of life but looking at our political class, transport system, health service, cost of living, general indebtness - and I mean debts ordinary people have, not just giant debt country holds. With all that I find it hard to believe we are number 1 on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
              1 that provides a decent passport service

For a start Japan, now I was only there for a brief time but an incredible place. The subway system puts our excuse of a transport network to shame.
              Lot of data about Scandinavia although I haven't been there so guess I am basing on 2nd hand experience.

I guess you could identify a near infinite number of metrics to measure quality of life but looking at our political class, transport system, health service, cost of living, general indebtness - and I mean debts ordinary people have, not just giant debt country holds. With all that I find it hard to believe we are number 1 on the list.
              Japan is about the one place I haven't been that I'd like to visit.
              Quality of life is so subjective though that I guess there is no real way to compare.
              When you look at the practical things ,the Government and the economy we are an awful mess but for Community, environment and general attitude to life we can't be beat. I'm in the middle of a funeral at the moment, a relations son died after a long struggle with his health, when you see the way the extended family and friends got through those years, the medical care and attention the lad got and the way that everybody comes together to help and be with people to get them through terrible times, I don't think you get that sort of community in other places.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Think im gona kill another penguin after them two exits.

Comment

Japanese people are just flat out weird though.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Japan is about the one place I haven't been that I'd like to visit.
                    Quality of life is so subjective though that I guess there is no real way to compare.
                    When you look at the practical things ,the Government and the economy we are an awful mess but for Community, environment and general attitude to life we can't be beat. I'm in the middle of a funeral at the moment, a relations son died after a long struggle with his health, when you see the way the extended family and friends got through those years, the medical care and attention the lad got and the way that everybody comes together to help and be with people to get them through terrible times, I don't think you get that sort of community in other places.
                    As I said to Zuutroy I and most everyone reading this are amongst the luckiest people alive or ever to have lived and it's very easy to forget how good we have it but I still question our placing on top of the list but as you said it's pretty subjective and depends on what metrics you want to focus on.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    True but, and I know always seem to stereotype like this, but I found the Japanese people so incredibly nice and helpful.

I remember 1 night, we got kicked out of the taxi as someone(not me) got sick in it. We had no idea where we were or how to get back to our hostel so I went off and hoped I could figure it out seeing as I was least drunk of our group. I remember asking some Japanese couple, they didn't speak a word of English but they tried so very hard, far beyond the call of duty, to help me out.

Now imagine at 4am some drunk foreigner who is a different race comes up to you speaking a totally different language. How helpful do you think you would likely be?

Comment

I remember 1 night, we got kicked out of the taxi as someone(not me) got sick in it. We had no idea where we were or how to get back to our hostel so I went off and hoped I could figure it out seeing as I was least drunk of our group. I remember asking some Japanese couple, they didn't speak a word of English but they tried so very hard, far beyond the call of duty, to help me out.

Now imagine at 4am some drunk foreigner who is a different race comes up to you speaking a totally different language. How helpful do you think you would likely be?
                      Ah come on I was listening up until the anecdotal evidence!

Opr

Comment

Ah come on I was listening up until the anecdotal evidence!

Opr
                        Heh, yeah I know it's anecdotal but just giving an example, I'm not suggesting it's an objective fact. Just my perception.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2j8hmLTyYk[/ame]

Comment

In fairness PL I think if you do the same experiment in most cities I think you would get a similar response.

Opr

Comment

True but, and I know always seem to stereotype like this, but I found the Japanese people so incredibly nice and helpful.

They were probably trying to convince you to appear on 'Shiny Happy Silly Game Show' where to get home you would have to wrestle alligators or something, but gave up because you were too drunk.

Comment

Pretty wonderful, Creep sung by Scala an all girl youth choir from Belgium.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evG2DDmSdxM[/ame]

Opr

Comment

Don't know if its been mentioned here before, just watched the first episode of Sherlock which is a new show on BBC and its excellent. Its Sherlock Holmes set in modern times.
                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                    Don't know if its been mentioned here before, just watched the first episode of Sherlock which is a new show on BBC and its excellent. Its Sherlock Holmes set in modern times.
                                    Was actually going to ask if anyone had seen it. Will give it a go, Moffat the guy from Dr Who was involved in writing it so was expecting good things.

Opr

Comment

Opr
                                      That's so odd and yet really brilliant, it's going into my ipod rotation, the highest honour for any song
                                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Was actually going to ask if anyone had seen it. Will give it a go, Moffat the guy from Dr Who was involved in writing it so was expecting good things.

Opr
                                        I liked it, I've always been a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, although for my liking it was a little too much like the Movie and not enough like the old Sherlock Holmes show (the 80's one) which I absolutely love and watch the odd episode now and again.

I wasn't gone on the Sherlock Holmes actor, but he kinda grew on me...

SPOILER
                                        I didn't think much of the ending TBH

Comment

As I said to Zuutroy I and most everyone reading this are amongst the luckiest people alive or ever to have lived and it's very easy to forget how good we have it but I still question our placing on top of the list but as you said it's pretty subjective and depends on what metrics you want to focus on.
                                          Do we have it good? Yes. Are we among the very highest happy countries? No. The question of metrics is of course an issue but the field of positive psychology has been researching measures such as gross national happiness and subjective well being for a while now. Gallop has put a lot of money into measuring wellbeing.

Gallop polled 150+ countries and found that wellbeing might be broken down into career wellbeing, social wellbeing, financial wellbeing, physical wellbeing, and community wellbeing.

They track wellbeing in America on a daily basis with a wellbeing index which includes these metrics - life evaluation, emotional health, physical health, healthy behaviour, work environment, and basic access.

Here is a pdf of the latest gallop world survey on the issue of 155 countries:

You will note that Ireland does well but very far from the top. Turkmenistan pwn us for example, and we only edge out Colombia.

As to the temporal issue. We aren't really happier than we were decades ago, and there is a far greater amount of mental health problems now than decades ago.

One interesting coincidence has been the increasing interest in wellbeing / happiness measures which have emanated from positive psychology and the global economic meltdown. I predict that increasing national wellbeing is going to be something of a political Zeitgeist over the coming few years.

When we were all so rich before postmaterialist politics sprung up and we all had lolz voting for the Green Party and whatnot. We have been in the mire of ultra materialist politics again for a couple of years now, which is a tremendous shame because people in suits talking about economics is soul suckingly boring and an exercise in intellectual sophistry by second rate minds and bluffers a lot of the time.

When we do next have a pot to piss in, we won't have the stomach to just piss it away like before. The greedy scum and the incompetent morons will be held to greater account going forward, and the transient decadence of flash new cars and "huge growth of our economy like a thousand year Reich" fuelled mortgages should hopefully give way to demands that our wellbeing as a people improve and not just our pay-packets.

We have the science, tools, and desire to focus on wellbeing now. We genuinely never had those three before.

Jesus, nothing like insomnia to get you rambling...

Comment

So if HM rake calculations are correct, in 2 days of poker (2300 hands) i've paid rake to the tune of 14 buyins

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYazCng4nM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYazCng4nM[/ame]

Comment

this has been floating around Facebook for the last 24 hours, and it's a gem

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD49mZiyJYQ[/ame]
                                                Last edited by TheJiggaman; 28-07-10, 02:10.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                  jesus that was really boring. can't believe I let it run the whole way

Comment

Originally posted by DJKendo View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD49mZiyJYQ
                                                    Is it some sort of new meme to post this and that penalty every few hours?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD49mZiyJYQ
                                                      4th time posted in the last 16 hours or so.
                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                        If buying used panties from a vending machine on the street is weird, I don't want to be normal!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                                          4th time posted in the last 16 hours or so.
                                                          aroud 10 pages of shit to get through though :/

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                            Jesus he must be old

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                            are you several hundred years old?
                                                            Coming together now..

Comment

So did I, not helped by seeing that yoke 4 times.

Comment

You are new, so a little tip,
                                                                go to settings, then change posts per page to the max, makes the BBV much easier to get through

Comment

Got properly caught in my first texas storm tonight at training. Raindrops so big and hard they actually hurt my eyes and pounded down for 15 mins. was pretty awful running sprints in them.

was cool seeing shit tonne of lightning off in the distance though
                                                                  Last edited by Trippie; 28-07-10, 03:27.

Comment

Anyone seen this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD49mZiyJYQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                                    ''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                                                                    I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

I love playing in the fitz
                                                                      got told by someone I was (can't remember the term!!) mega gaming everyone into thinking I was a tool.... I am in fact, a tool!
                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4td1XCkP0[/ame]

Comment

Possibly the greatest movie ever made, complete with carefully interwoven subplots thats keeps the viewer guessing for days afterwards.

Mickey Graham is nothing short of spectacular and James P. Bennett plays the role with all the coolness and natural ability of Bruce Lee, but also has the emotional acting ability of a young Marlon Brando or Humphrey Bogarts performance in The Big Sleep.

As far as scenery, you couldn't wish for a more serene setting than Trim, its a character in itself, just like Sergio Leone's mid 1960s westerns.

This is a celebration of joy.

Comment

Obviously have watched before on youtube.

Last week got a copy off the cousin so I can watch it in full glory on the telly.

Comment

I just realised this music is about bad beats.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrML6s1wNHk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrML6s1wNHk[/ame]

Comment

30 odd pp's tonight, hit 2 sets 1 quads win the minimum. Rest all out flopped, scuk my balls poker gods.

Comment

But this translation is more accurate imo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVf7K_KvVtg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVf7K_KvVtg&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

More

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx19UywP03g&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx19UywP03g&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                      jesus that was really boring. can't believe I let it run the whole way
                                                                                      Yeah i agree.

I left it playing in the background, but i only let it play all the way through becasue i was 100% convinced that your man was going to do a runner aswel. Waste of 10 minutes

Comment

Opr
                                                                                        Scala are excellent, they have many cover versions.

Definitely the funniest one I've heard is a cover of Puddle of Mudd's " She Hates Me"; hearing the angelic voices come together as one to sing "She fucking hates me, na na na na na na" was quite the experience!

No youtube access in work, but if someone could find it, post it!

Comment

Can't find it on youtube.
                                                                                          Link to video on some other site.

This one goes out to Emmet02 who is stuck in work.

Comment

Managed to blag a 2 week trial with PokerNews covering the Victorian Poker champs, ship.

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                                                                              Managed to blag a 2 week trial with PokerNews covering the Victorian Poker champs, ship.
                                                                                              That lot doesn't drink, you'll find it difficult to fit in

Comment

Ah I'm sure the Aussie ones will. If not I'm sure I can do some mingling in the bar after by myself.

Comment

...
                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                    Woot! We (well you) now own Arnotts!
                                                                                                    free Dublin tops for all!
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                      free Dublin tops for all!
                                                                                                      You can have mine

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                        You can have mine
                                                                                                        I'm sorry, they are now compulsory wearing

in other news, the colours green and yellow have been outlawed

Comment

Re: Japan, I worked with a lot of Japanese guys in my time and they certainly don't have it easy from a career point of view. They get something like 8 vacation days a year which in many cases they don't take because they feel their worth to the company will be called into question if it continues to function while they're away.
                                                                                                          Anyway I'm sure everyone knows the stories...That ain't my idea of a quality life!

Still looking forward to going there though. My trip now includes Shanghai as well

Comment

I was wondering why Dail Eireann was waving the white flag
                                                                                                            http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

The yanks who work for PayPal only get 2 weeks holidays a year and no pay for sick days. Suckers.
                                                                                                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by kincsem View Post
                                                                                                                I just realised this music is about bad beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrML6s1wNHk
                                                                                                                It's hilarious how many people think this song is about devil worship, just because it was used in a few movies as background music for evil things. The whole Carmina Burana from which this song comes is an hour long tribute to drinking, gambling, whoring and general debauchery. It's actually pretty awesome considering the time and place it was written.

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm sorry, they are now compulsory wearing

So the Irish flag is now white?

figures; was forever thus!

*try to be a little poetic in this place and someone always jumps in first
                                                                                                                  heathens!!!
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 28-07-10, 10:01. Reason: *zuroph

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                                                    So the Irish flag is now white?
                                                                                                                    I am holding a tendering competition for a new national flag

first entry received

Comment

this one should do the trick and is most likely
                                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                                      http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

first entry received
                                                                                                                        Joxer the original of this before the shinners and the looneys got hold of it would be my choice

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X