This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

facebook aint all bad

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za75pfu8Ag"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za75pfu8Ag[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by BrianByrne View Post
      Scrolling through the facebook debate until i stumbled across this

lolol come on, who is it?
      Tom Kitts post here shouldn't go unnoticed

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
        Quote from that Q&A thread on the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion.
        Listening to Newstalk today, apparantly BP share prices have dropped 40% since this all kicked off, apparantly in the billions.
        We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

yeah saw that, surely worth a punt!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
              I hate seeing this word written down - I instinctively read it in my mind as 'hyper - bowl' rather than 'hyper - bow - lay', so if I'm reading aloud a sentence with 'hyperbole' in it, I end up stumbling and pausing before speaking it, as I need to take a short moment to prepare the correct pronounciation in my mind!

Don't know if that makes much sense to anyone but it's the best way I can describe it this late at night!

Now, 'discombobulation'...now there's a cool word Reads nice and phonecially too!
              You're still pronouncing it wrongly imo. There's no pronouncing of "hype" in the word. It seems like you pronounce it "hype-er" as you would in hyperactive. But, despite being the same prefix, it is pronounced as "high-per" so it's "high-per-bo-lay."

Ugh, what a shocking contribution to such a great day's postings, just caught up with it all now. Damn you last page post replying to bias

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                Only read the first bit of Guns Germs Steel so far. That list was just the books I've brought over the read, rather than having actually read them yet!

Yeah, Nudge annoyed me too even though Thaler is a big academic hero of mine. Should have been max of 20-30 pages really. Another book like that was The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. It was originally based on this Wired article, and he managed to expand the idea to 300 pages without adding anything new.

Actually starting a research project in neurofinance at the moment! It's such a fascinating area. Not sure if it would be of interest, but really liked this academic summary paper on the subject. Going to have to get a copy of that book though.

Also the must buy of this year for the serious investor has to be this bad boy. Although might be just saying that because I sweated blood trying to get my chapter for it written
                Cool, I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Might have a look at the book too, as long as that chapter wasn't the product of one of those "spent all week drinking and smoking have 10k words to write by tomorrow" posts I remember!

Comment

Bah humbug. Played the UKIPT sat in the Fitz tonight. 9 tickets and 925. Got QQ vs 77 vs AQ for a 60k pot when average was about 28 with 27 left. Obv 7 on turn. Left me with 6k. Managed to keep that alive through ups and downs to finally shove 20k with 14 left with TT into AK at 1500/3k. Obv K on the river. Sigh. The QQ hand would have left me in a position to destroy the table though, which was the really gay thing.
                  Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      You're still pronouncing it wrongly imo. There's no pronouncing of "hype" in the word. It seems like you pronounce it "hype-er" as you would in hyperactive. But, despite being the same prefix, it is pronounced as "high-per" so it's "high-per-bo-lay."
                      Basically what hotspur is saying is just say it in a West Cork accent and you cannot go wrong

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                          RDIII to be the Matt Cooper of the piece. I'd personally have Willie down for the 11am-1pm slot for the indignant whingers. A tentative daily schedule would be something like:

Rounders and Lazare - Breakfast show, 7-9am
                          TylerDurden and Deadparrot - Fight the power hour 9-10am
                          Emmet and Bubbleking - 10-11am
                          Wiliies Whiners - 11am-1pm
                          Hectorjelly and the eclectic mix - 1pm-3pm
                          Dannydiamonds golden hour, with special guest StrewelPeter - 4-5pm
                          Drivetime with RDIII - 5-7pm
                          KevIRL's house of tripe - 7-8pm
                          Iago, C Kid and Eagle Eye Sports Report 8-10pm
                          Howard Finkle and Starvin Marvins hour of hostility - 10-11pm
                          Rigger talks lotto - Get Rich Quick tips and more - 11-midnight
                          LuckyLloyd, Hotspur and Kayroo talk, and talk, and talk - 12-2am
                          HHG... and CHD do drunk radio - 2-4am
                          Through the night with the Z's - zuroph, zuutroy and zosma - 4-7am

Onto a winner there I reckon.
                          Sounds like were on to a winner what a line up you have put together

What is a fight the power hour by the way?
                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                            So a lesser perceived wrong should be ignored? The league is very tight ( I'm out of it ). I didn't say anything before as there may well of been a good reason for giving the walks. However, Connor posting graphs with tens of thousands of hands just shows he couldn't be arsed.
                            well done on finishing college and the poker results, but I think it was pretty shitty of you to totally ignore the HU league when out of contention giving crucial walks to people at the vital stage.
                            When people sign up to the league, they give their word to play X amount of matches, irrespective of how there doing. It's disrespectful to the other participants not to for fill this obligation. They're people in contention who won hard fought matches with him, how do they feel seeing rivals just getting walks at this vital stage. Its out of order and discourteous to Tony and the players, simple as.
                            Oh FML. I'm really sorry. I actually completely forgot about it. FWIW, the last PM I got was from suilen, and had planned to play him but wasn't able to play the day we had planned and then just forgot. It just went out of my head, and didn't think of the thread till I saw your posts. FWIW, if I had of been PMd to be reminded I would have played, but I know that burden isn't on anyone but myself, and is completely my fault.

I was annoyed enough at John O'Shea for being awkward with dates last year and eventually missing a match with me in a cup, and I know I have posts giving out about people for doing precisely what I did. I was never in a position where I was hurt by it though, and I feel really bad now.

You're right. It is shitty. It is discourteous. Its disrespectful. Its really bad. There is no excuse.

I'm guessing a sorry doesn't do much justice or doesn't help. I haven't looked at the HU thread yet, but I'm guessing I did you out of something.

I doubt that there is anything I can do to the rest of the players to make up, but I owe ye pints anyway. I'll self impose a 2 series ban on HU leagues as well. I deserve it at the minimum.

Comment

Actually one more book related post. But, brought over possibly the best reading list. Although it's going to seem boring after Harry Bosch.

Science:

Jared Diamond: Guns, Germs and Steel on how some societies have evolved more successfully than others. Diamond is easily one of the most brilliant science writers around.
                              Yeah read that 2 years ago, very interesting hypothesis. I thought it dragged a little bit when he went really in depth into plant domestication and where to plans seeds but overall still well worth it. It's pretty mad how dead the fertile crescent is considering the amount of advantages it had 10,000 years ago.

I thought collapse was a bit better. Fun reading about some set of pacific islands you never heard of and how the locals screwed it up. I particularly loved Greenland, such a grim existence. As for Inuits, how they survived for so long I will never know. Hardcore living.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbleking View Post
                                she'd still get it though
                                Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                you'd let her be on the posters though!
                                Seriously, 10 hours and on and still nobody has posted pics. Wtf!

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                  Oh FML. I'm really sorry. I actually completely forgot about it. FWIW, the last PM I got was from suilen, and had planned to play him but wasn't able to play the day we had planned and then just forgot. It just went out of my head, and didn't think of the thread till I saw your posts. FWIW, if I had of been PMd to be reminded I would have played, but I know that burden isn't on anyone but myself, and is completely my fault.

I was annoyed enough at John O'Shea for being awkward with dates last year and eventually missing a match with me in a cup, and I know I have posts giving out about people for doing precisely what I did. I was never in a position where I was hurt by it though, and I feel really bad now.

You're right. It is shitty. It is discourteous. Its disrespectful. Its really bad. There is no excuse.

I'm guessing a sorry doesn't do much justice or doesn't help. I haven't looked at the HU thread yet, but I'm guessing I did you out of something.

I doubt that there is anything I can do to the rest of the players to make up, but I owe ye pints anyway. I'll self impose a 2 series ban on HU leagues as well. I deserve it at the minimum.

Fair enough TG, there's 2 games left for everyone in the league, it will go a way if you could make an effrot to play them?

Comment

I wasn't affected personally in the league in any way by you not playing Connor. I made the point after your posted your graph which hit me that you had been playing a decent amount and hadn't made any effort in the HU league, bubbleking subsequently drew me out on it. Seems like a genuine mistake from what you say

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                      Fair enough TG, there's 2 games left for everyone in the league, it will go a way if you could make an effrot to play them?
                                      I know nothing about the league but surely that would just skew results even further ?

Opr

Comment

I find Serial Killers incredibly fascinating, if there is ever a show bout any serial killer I get glues to it.

Comment

I know a girl that's big into serial killers too. She scares me.

Comment

Actually would you know if any of the Dawkins books are worth reading? Would love to read a good book on how we evolved all the way back from the amphibian stage. At the moment my main knowledge of evolution is that the crazies are against it for biblical reasons so it must be correct but didn't actually learn about it in school except in the most general sense.
                                            Well The Selfish Gene is a classic and well worth reading. I used to be quite into the evolution debates (not evolution v creationism but debates within evolutionary theory).

One of my favourite ever books (not just on evolution or sociobiology / evolutionary psychology but of anything I've ever read) is Sex, Evolution and Behaviour by Daly and Wilson- you can pick it up a 2nd hand copy on Amazon UK for less than £2. It was the first book I ever read in the field and I found it utterly fascinating:
                                            [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sex-Evolution-Behaviour-Martin-Daly/dp/0871507676/[/ame]

Comment

Comment

cheers for above post tg.
                                                I honestly felt very very let down by you and line us and actually had a long rant written to post in the heads up thread but opted not to submit it as it would just seem like I was hoping both of you would return and I'd have a better chance(no chance now anyway )

I just knew no matter how I did in the league I would get all games finished but honestly I do appreciate the honesty.
                                                I sent a few offline messages on msn after your exams and never got any reply so didn't know the story. Won't be re-entering a heads up league here again but just hope that anyone who ever does plays all games as its the right thing to do
                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

What do people think about Uruguay and France ? I know that France have massive squad spilts and are camped within a hotel that can only be reached by one dirt road with four check points or by boat. They have huge devisions within the squad and within the practice matches played in SF have been terrible not to mention the lead up farce which included the Irish match. Surely Uruguay look value ?

Edit - JD is a helluva a drug.

Opr
                                                  Last edited by Opr; 11-06-10, 01:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    I know nothing about the league but surely that would just skew results even further ?

Opr
                                                    I reckon it'll be Flushdraws decision, obviously gonna be a good few backing him to play on though
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

What do people think about Uruguayy and France ? I know that France have huge devisions and are camped within a hotel that can only be reached by one dirt road with four check points or by boat. They have huge devisions within the squad and within the practice matches played in SF have been terrible not to mention the lead up farce which included the Irish match. Surely Uruguayy look value ?

Edit - JD is a helluva a drug.

Opr
                                                      Uaregay(ho-ho-ho) draw-no-bet would not be the worst bet in the world with french being a bit shit and first round games tending towards tight historically

Comment

Ugh, what a shocking contribution to such a great day's postings, just caught up with it all now. Damn you last page post replying to bias
                                                        Nah, I'm defo pronouncing it fine - I just failed to spell it phonetically enough in my original post!

When I see it written I definitely think 'hyper-bowl' before some mental juggling turns it into 'high-per-bow-lay' - hence the stumble when I have to read it aloud!

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                          cheers for above post tg.
                                                          I honestly felt very very let down by you and line us and actually had a long rant written to post in the heads up thread but opted not to submit it as it would just seem like I was hoping both of you would return and I'd have a better chance(no chance now anyway )

I just knew no matter how I did in the league I would get all games finished but honestly I do appreciate the honesty.
                                                          I sent a few offline messages on msn after your exams and never got any reply so didn't know the story. Won't be re-entering a heads up league here again but just hope that anyone who ever does plays all games as its the right thing to do
                                                          Yeah, I know, I got back to you on msn one of the days and i must have just missed you cos it was within 20 mins iirc. My bad though, its definitely my fault. Particularly in your case.

I can just say sorry again, and know that I let people down.

Comment

Opr
                                                            How could it possibly be better if he doesn't play?

Some have already put in the time and effort to play TG, and then alot of walkovers were given in his absense. The league has been very tight throughout and the walkovers have had a huge impact on how things will shape up.

As Conor has come in and admitted his mistake, it's only proper that he plays out his remaining matches if he is willing to do so.

Btw, I for one appreciate him coming in and holding his hands up.Better late than never!

Comment

Yeah, I know, I got back to you on msn one of the days and i must have just missed you cos it was within 20 mins iirc. My bad though, its definitely my fault. Particularly in your case.

I can just say sorry again, and know that I let people down.
                                                              Forgiven on my part anyway, can't say the same for line us tbh as he has shown no effort. I knew it was going to be very tough to play our game as you were seriously busy, and I didn't really have much time that week either so it was always going to be unreal tough. I was only surprised you never posted back in the thread after it happened but see why now.
                                                              Cheers for posts
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Theree's a world of difference between, finding them interesting and worshiping them

Comment

Some have already put in the time and effort to play TG, and then alot of walkovers were given in his absense. The league has been very tight throughout and the walkovers have had a huge impact on how things will shape up.

As Conor has come in and admitted his mistake, it's only proper that he plays out his remaining matches if he is willing to do so.

Btw, I for one appreciate him coming in and holding his hands up.Better late than never!
                                                                  I'll defo play the games if thats what people want me to do.

Comment

Well The Selfish Gene is a classic and well worth reading. I used to be quite into the evolution debates (not evolution v creationism but debates within evolutionary theory).

One of my favourite ever books (not just on evolution or sociobiology / evolutionary psychology but of anything I've ever read) is Sex, Evolution and Behaviour by Daly and Wilson- you can pick it up a 2nd hand copy on Amazon UK for less than £2. It was the first book I ever read in the field and I found it utterly fascinating:
                                                                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sex-Evolutio...dp/0871507676/
                                                                    I've read most of Dawkins' books and they are almost all excellent I think; I particularly enjoyed the Selfish Gene and would recommend that to anyone. Probably 50%+ of the popular science books I've read focus on biology and evolution in particular; once a person really understands evolution I think they cannot but be changed forever, I think the knowledge is almost literally mind-blowing. Evolution by means of natural selection is amazing, fantastic, grand, beautiful and infinitely more facinating than any religious myth ever told IMHO...no hyperbole here!

Comment

I only meant in the fact that if walkovers have been given then surely the dynamic is going to swing in certain peoples direction given certain people have yet to play and if they suddenly they have to play against someone who is taking it seriously other people are going to be put at an advantage.

Opr
                                                                      Last edited by Opr; 11-06-10, 02:02.

Comment

Give her Comrade Chikatilo to read and see if she maintains her interest, most horrifying frightening book I ever read. My mind was warped for like two weeks after reading it.
                                                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

she'd probably get off on it tbh.

Comment

Anyways big second half, season defining actually for the Celtics. I think they win this, they put in a bad half and are still in it and they usually take games like that.

Edit: Well not season defining unless they lose that is.
                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

i have to laugh at how the us stations advertise the world cup, so different to here.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                Give her Comrade Chikatilo to read and see if she maintains her interest, most horrifying frightening book I ever read. My mind was warped for like two weeks after reading it.
                                                                                Guessing this is based on Andre Chikatilo. Russia's second biggest serial killer. There was a chapter in a book a read (20 chapters, 20 different killers) that gave a rough bio on the guy, pretty fucked up fella imo.

Comment

kobe's home

Comment

i have to laugh at how the us stations advertise the world cup, so different to here.
                                                                                    I can just imagine what they are like. Any youtube examples?

Comment

Too many lads in here on the same monthly cycle imo.

Everyone take a break from each other, that'll sort it.

Comment

fcuk off birds its only 4am

ft'aments on ipoker if anyones bored.
                                                                                        Last edited by a-k-47; 11-06-10, 03:06.

Comment

Sick crazy emotional LA Boston game, technicals all over the place, trash talking, Kobe drilling 3's, they should play best of 11 imo.

Comment

Pretty sick awesome poker hand,

Guy with the KK is an amateur on a freeroll in a cash game as part of the show. Hellmuth is gold, slowrolling and running it four times, and Tony G trash talk. Just perfect video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID8rap6LFVo[/ame]
                                                                                            Last edited by The C Kid; 11-06-10, 03:34.

Comment

Pure and utter gold, C Kid.

Comment

brag warning!

nice way to start the day of the world cup

Comment

Pure and utter gold, C Kid.
                                                                                                  hellmuth cracks me up, rigged or not rigged, quality viewing.

Comment

Weekend plan was to be sort of conservative, try to save a bit of cash, broke after a week long drinking session. Was hoping for maybe a few drinks sunday afternoon.
                                                                                                    lol, not a chance says the alcohol gods

First, I remembered it was house mates birthday on Saturday, I have to go out with her obviously.
                                                                                                    Then I remember the WC starts tonight, as midnight my time, so there's no chance staying in tonight.
                                                                                                    The UFC is on sunday, starting at 12pm, in the pub, so thats an all day session,

and to top it off, I found out monday is a bank holiday, so from a quiet sunday, its become another piss-up. Should be fun, until I see the bank a/c

also, C kid, that was near perfect,

Comment

Anyone think Mexico is free money today?

Comment

Originally posted by MrPillowTalk View Post
                                                                                                        Yup

Comment

DOUBLE with uraguay

fk plo top set v middle set turns the gutter fk u

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                                                                            DOUBLE with uraguay

fk plo top set v middle set turns the gutter fk u
                                                                                                            treble with serbia too imo
                                                                                                            You got to have a lot of balls, to play golf the way I do!

Comment

yep i think 6/4 ish is a huge price

Comment

how bad are south africa? worth a good lump?

Comment

worth noting ! home nation . opening game .a win good for country support . mandela will be there . fifa is rigged etc etc

still fancy mehico tho
                                                                                                                  You got to have a lot of balls, to play golf the way I do!

Comment

I'll self impose a 2 series ban on HU leagues as well. I deserve it at the minimum.
                                                                                                                    But your the value in that league

I'll happily take a day's ban for that - will probably get another for my outburst in the WW later on

Comment

Mexico are certainly not free money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                                                                        But your the value in that league

I'll happily take a day's ban for that - will probably get another for my outburst in the WW later on
                                                                                                                        What you planning Ace? lol

Comment

Humdinger of a night in Leop last night. Backed a 12/1 winner in the second last + reverse forecase and lumped on the last winner. Then saw Milkshake had only one rider all day in the last at Haydock and got stuck into that as well. Thankfully no more races to give it back.

Came in this morning with an unmerciful hangover, thinking how would I get to 9.30 (teabreak), only to see the BBV was at its best last night.

LOL at the BBV radioshow by Dom.

LL, Kayroo and Hotspur = Talk, talk, talk

gotta go, 9.30

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X