This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the aul switcharoo View Post
    Ok, just writing out a CV for a summer job but I kinda have a problem. I gave up a course in 2nd year in finance, and then transferred into a different course straight into 2nd year. What should i put in the CV?
    Anyone?
    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Aargh, I had a long post wrote out on my phone but somehow lost it, so I'll be a bit briefer here.

Basically,
        a) How expensive is it to repair the power jack/PSU on a dell xps M1530 laptop?

b) Would there be any chance of success by getting onto dell/small claims court and say that a €1200 laptop should be expected to last for more than 2.5 years? I am obvout of warranty, but I'm thinking along the lines of the merchantable quality bit of consumer laws.

Thanks

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
              Think you need to see the CV to know whether what you've said looks right or wrong. Don't know why you'd even need to mention the switch - just say "BSc in [current course] followed by the years you've been doing it. The fact that you started doing something else shouldn't be mentioned unless you can't avoid it.

Can have a look over what you've written if you wish as see tonnes of CVs because of work - michael.m.dowling -at- gmail.com. Although perhaps the likes of Solksjaar might be best as think he is involved in hiring people on a regular enough basis.
              Then there'll be a couple of years blank..Explain with hookers and coke

Comment

River card is my fucking enemy.

3 weeks profit wiped out in 2 days.

gg Poker
                Last edited by Emmet; 20-05-10, 13:11.

Comment

Comment

Decent desk chair around the €200 mark anyone?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuroph View Post
                        right, after a good bit of reading online trying to cure choppy playback via tversity to ps3, I think I need to upgrade to Wireless N and an ethernet bridge.
                        would this work on smart telecom network? right thing to buy?
                        http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WAG160N
                        Apple wireless routers are unbelievably good
                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Don't know how it happened, but have £40 left in my betfair account after some shenanigans last night. Because my head is hurting me so much have piled it all on Webbow to win the 3:25 Haydock race at 4.3. As regular followers of this forum will know this creates an excellent opportunity to back other nags in that race.
                          Did you back that because it was the Joe.ie tip today?

They have had 21/1 and 25/1 winners over the last 2 days

Comment

Hmmmm, I dropped in my driving license for renewal at about 1pm yesterday and my new one arrived this morning???

Why can't updating a passport be as quick?
                            Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                              Take your pick if you dont mind buying from ikea

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/ca...kspaces/10725/

I sat in this one in one of the show rooms up there are was pretty good

Browse our full range of products from dressing tables to complete modern kitchens. Click here to find the right IKEA product for you. Shop online and in store today.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MaudSkKdE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                  To be honest i had no major issues with last week or this, I am looking forward to the shows finale, not to see it end but rather to see how it ends. I have gotton a lot of enjoyment from lost over the years.

I think the big fail on there part is not having us glued with only 1 season left, moreso, not glued 5 out ! I got it this morning but waited till wifey got home to watch it this evening, no way in hell i was waiting 2 years ago!!

Because of this I am afraid to say i am not expecting much by the end. Lets hope they have this pre-anti climax planned and I will be blown away next week, who knows, this is the "What the Fuck!!" show after all.

My prediction...For me, lost will end with a meh. It could have, should have been so much more fucking brillient. Oh, and ABC will do a prequel, lots left to explain about the island. I will also watch this !
                                  SPOILER

I think the resolution of the sideways will ultimately decide how good or not the finale is. It will also have a huge impact on how people see the final season; it's hard to completely judge it without knowing the resolution.

I am very confident it will deliver. I've loved all 5 finales. I really don't think they will drop the ball for the biggest one of the lot. If they do they would probably want to go into hiding if last weeks is anything to go by!
                                  Last edited by cooker3; 20-05-10, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                    Hmmmm, I dropped in my driving license for renewal at about 1pm yesterday and my new one arrived this morning???

Sent the young fellows off with An-post on 21-april and recieved it tis Monday, 27 days. Not too bad considering.

As for the licence, as i said before, down here, Limerick Co Co, they give you the new one there and then.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Very cheap on ebay fwiw. Got one from there before for a Dell
                                      That's great just saw them there now. In terms of fitting them, is it handy enough or would you need someone who properly knows what they are doing? Obviously I've never done it before, but I'd be happy enough to give it a go if it's doable!

Comment

On a more serious note. The person reading your CV won't know your age
                                        do people not put their age on their CV any more?

is this some daft anti-ageist thing you have going on in the UK?
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                          Have a look at Vikingdirect.ie, have loads of office furniture at really good prices. Free delivery, and if you don't like the chair you can return it without hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                            Aargh, I had a long post wrote out on my phone but somehow lost it, so I'll be a bit briefer here.

Basically,

b) Would there be any chance of success by getting onto dell/small claims court and say that a €1200 laptop should be expected to last for more than 2.5 years? I am obvout of warranty, but I'm thinking along the lines of the merchantable quality bit of consumer laws.

Thanks
                                            a) Go onto e-bay & buy one; about €10

b) not a chance...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              do people not put their age on their CV any more?

is this some daft anti-ageist thing you have going on in the UK?
                                              You can put your age on it if you want, but they can't ask you if you don't.

It's all part of anti-discriminatory policies etc

You can't ask about Age, Sexual Orientation, Marital Status, Parenthood, home location etc or at least you shouldn't.

Generally I just let people give me the information through their answers to other questions etc, but if you ask then you run the risk of having to face action over discrimination in the event that the person doesn't get the job.
                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I habe my DOB on it. In fairness im a student with little experience so it took up space. I can hardly go on about my levels of degeneracy in the pokerz can I. It probably wouldnt matter what age I am because im still a student but it could work against a guy who was maybe 55 or 56 who just got laid off from a long term job

Comment

So this is the guy who enabled me to buy burgers and beer at five in the morning?! Obv sounds a bit stupid, but didn't realise how recent ATMs were. Love the attention to detail on exactly how he sold the idea to Barclays! RIP.
                                                  Where would I be without him? I'm in the business of inventing new things for people to do with them!
                                                  Originally posted by RasTa View Post

Because they are lazy low life scum.
                                                  Dermot Ahern has two requests on his desk for mine to be rushed through, odds are he will never see them.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by the aul switcharoo View Post
                                                    I habe my DOB on it. In fairness im a student with little experience so it took up space. I can hardly go on about my levels of degeneracy in the pokerz can I. It probably wouldnt matter what age I am because im still a student but it could work against a guy who was maybe 55 or 56 who just got laid off from a long term job
                                                    I'd take your DOB off it to be honest, you can fill in plenty of information without it

Personal Details

Name
                                                    Address
                                                    Contact Number
                                                    Contact email

You could put in a small section on some of your personality traits here. Some people do, and some people don't. It can help give a flavour of why you should get an interview and some of the things you put in might help to lead an interview in the direction you want it to go in.

education

obvious enough

Work experience

At a younger age, anything you've worked at that shows reliability, commitment, teamwork, initiative etc. should go in here.

Generally works best if you format it as;
                                                    Role (just the job title)
                                                    Responsibilities (bullet points, high level)
                                                    Key Deliverables(specific deliveries in your time there)

Awards & Achievements
                                                    These can be academic, work related or social related. Again you're giving a flavour for what makes you tick

Interests

References

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That should easily cover a page or so with the right spacing, if you find it's more than a page then make the break after education.

You could also switch education / work around so that work experience is on the front page but if you're fairly inexperienced then probably best to leave education on the front page.

Also don't underestimate the impact a good cover letter will have on your chances. So many people pay little attention to this and it could make all the difference.
                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcxF9oz9Cu0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                        You can't ask about Age, Sexual Orientation, Marital Status, Parenthood, home location etc or at least you shouldn't.
                                                        mad stuff Ted

most people here still put it on their CVs - quite a few (mainly women for some reason) also put their marital status on

never seen a 'Sexual Orientation' header on a CV before

Comment

Thief Steals Paintings In Paris Art Heist

€500m, not bad.

Apparently it was Rafa Benitez, he was looking to prop up the Liverpool transfer reserves in order to make them a top 4 team again...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Seen loads with photos on them which just looks weird
                                                                at least you can work out their sexual orientation then

Comment

Comment

Aidy Boothroyd is coventrys new manager not happy at all.

Comment

mad stuff Ted

most people here still put it on their CVs - quite a few (mainly women for some reason) also put their marital status on

never seen a 'Sexual Orientation' header on a CV before
                                                                      A place I used to work opened an office in Belfast and they had to hire a consultant to sit in on all the interviews to make sure that no one asked any questions that shouldn't be asked ... like where are you from and where did you go to schol
                                                                      He then had to ensure that we hired the appropriate amount from each community.

As regards age there is no need to be explicit because all the clues are there. You put your College years on it etc.
                                                                      Which is cool when you choose to briefly mention your first degree without reference to when it was and concentrate on the degree you did when you were already an 'oul lad

Comment

Seen loads with photos on them which just looks weird
                                                                        Its usually only decent looking foreign girls.

They usually go to the top of the "call these people for interview" pile

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          A place I used to work opened an office in Belfast and they had to hire a consultant to sit in on all the interviews to make sure that no one asked any questions that shouldn't be asked ... like where are you from and where did you go to schol
                                                                          He then had to ensure that we hired the appropriate amount from each community.
                                                                          South Africa is a minefield for this sort of shyte as well

you also can't fire anybody. I wanted to get someone fired for being at best grossly incompetent and lazy (this was a generous description) and was told I couldn't as this was discriminatory due to past historical wrongs.

She was white

Comment

My fav HR SLOGAN of all time is. (posted before so none of those silly thanks footaments)

HR PEOPLE -> AVOID HIRING UNLUCKY PEOPLE
                                                                            THROW OUT 50% OF THE CVS YOU RECEIVE DIRECTLY INTO THE BIN WITHOUT READING THEM.

Comment

...

Comment

Is Breaking Bad a good enough series to devote my time to? Watched the 1st episode and thought it was very good but my mate who has watched most of the epidodes reckons they are very repetitive...

Comment

South Africa is a minefield for this sort of shyte as well

you also can't fire anybody. I wanted to get someone fired for being at best grossly incompetent and lazy (this was a generous description) and was told I couldn't as this was discriminatory due to past historical wrongs.

She was white

Racist.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                    Racist.
                                                                                    shurrup ya tinker kraut

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                      Is Breaking Bad a good enough series to devote my time to? Watched the 1st episode and thought it was very good but my mate who has watched most of the epidodes reckons they are very repetitive...
                                                                                      change mates. Breaking bad keeps getting better and better

Comment

Downloading it at the momeno really hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by aodea View Post
                                                                                          Aidy Boothroyd is coventrys new manager not happy at all.
                                                                                          Why? Proven in the Championship.

Things have really took a turn for the worse for Chris Coleman after a promising start to his managerial career.
                                                                                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Ingredient list and preparation instructions for all of the Baked Bean recipes listed.

For you Hitchhiker...

Comment

The farce continued long enough imo...

This too shall pass.

Comment

Just in case anyone misses it over in Online Promotions - we're adding $4,000 in total to three MTTs over tomorrow and Saturday evenings: http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=4039
                                                                                                    Follow us on Twitter
                                                                                                    Follow us on Facebook

Comment

You should stop being friends with this person its a brilliant show.
                                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                        i finally sorted out my iphone store thingy. anyway, i know i asked this before but what apps should i have? ty.

Comment

...

Comment

How is anyone going to vote for FF in the next election? I'd be on their side in general (although have only voted for them once in the last three elections essentially because Michael Woods was the local TD and he started a PhD scholarship scheme as Minister for Education that gave me three years of funding), but they are such a pathetic bunch apart from Lenihan.

I'd guess the turnout at the next election will be woeful, as FF supporters will just stay away rather than switching to FG. Surely FF are looking at near wipe-out?
                                                                                                            ah, Michael Woods - the man who had a pension law passed for himself alone, what shining bastion of democracy. Not.

1\4 of the electorate will vote for FF in the next election - at least. It has nothing to do with policies or performance and 100% to do with pure, unadulturated tribalism. They'll get at least 45 seats.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

ah, Michael Woods - the man who had a pension law passed for himself alone, what shining bastion of democracy. Not.

1\4 of the electorate will vote for FF in the next election - at least. It has nothing to do with policies or performance and 100% to do with pure, unadulturated tribalism. They'll get at least 45 seats.
                                                                                                                  I've advertised the 5 votes in my house for whoever gets me a new passport by Tuesday (I live right on the border of two constituencies so I've a choice of 7 who think I'm eligible to vote for them)
                                                                                                                  Fwiw two FF guys called me back today and have sent requests to the MoFF's office about it. I can't get through to either of my Labour options. One of them , Jack Wall, has a default eircom voice mailbox that is full and won't accept messages

Comment

As we've both said before; we need a PD-style party to give people a real alternative.

FF / FG are both woeful imo, and Lab doesn't even pretend to represent the middle classes. Could never bring myself to vote for FG, but would be great to have an good alternative option.
                                                                                                                    I'd disagree heartily with your statement about Labour. Teachers, social workers, nurses - these are the Labour consituency and are all as middle class as it gets.

why could you never bring yourself to vote FG? odd statement to make given that you've admitted voting FF in the past - is this some family thing?

what's actually needed is a technocratic party; one that would govern on a pragmatic basis - preferably one that could draw on a pool of clever people with real-world experience (not the dynastic muppets that inherit Leinster House at present)

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post

Basically,

Thanks
                                                                                                                      The dc jack will cost no more than €15 including delivery from UK, do not buy from a seller on ebay in the UK these days without checking his negative feedback as half the bastards are chinese based power sellers using a UK warehouse address and the deliveries are taking up to 3 weeks ime. Very easy to get caught out and then have to pay customs charges even though you were buying the item from the "UK".

As for the power jack repair. I have worked on quite a few different types of laptops and of all the brands dell are the hardest to replace the jack. I have not come across an XPS model yet as they aren't as popular as the Inspirons /Vostros/Dimensions but experience suggests that you will not be able to remove the old jack and solder a new one into place especially if you are a novice with soldering/hardware in general.

To do the actual repair you will need to fully disassemble the machine. You'd need small philips and flat head screwdrivers. Also a fine tipped soldering iron, a de-soldering pump, good quality solder, isopropyl alcohol or some other solvent and a small pliers.

Your best bet is to source the jack yourself so as to not get screwed on the price and bring it to a repair centre with a good reputation or give it to a mate who is nifty at that sort of thing. Unfortunately there is reasonable possibility too that the motherboard may have been damaged if the jack is broken completely from it's location/housing. If so then you would have to buy a new laptop as a motherboard would be more than €250 plus labour costs....

As for small claims court, a lot of customers we had in are taking HP/Harvey Norman/Other Retailers to small claims court over the HP Pavillion GPU failure that was mentioned a couple of pages back. FYI nobody has come back to me yet as to how they ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                        how the fck do i get my tunes from my itunes to my iphone?

you don't deserve to have an iPhone

give it to the next random beggar that you encounter

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                                          Why? Proven in the Championship.

Things have really took a turn for the worse for Chris Coleman after a promising start to his managerial career.
                                                                                                                          Well from what i have read he has a very big ego, yes he got watford promoted but does not mean he is proven, Colemans record while poor is what is expected from a team that sells its best players yearly last year, dann, Fox, Best all sold makes it hard for a manager to work. Nothing new is promised seems like replacing like for like. Hopefully i will be proven wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X