This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
    If we have an award at the end of the year for most ridiculous post this should romp home. Seriously EE wtf?

Please Jose come to Liverpool, he'd be our best signing in a decade, the man's a genius.
    Oh Danny, you should read all posts before you reply.
    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Listen baby, I watched Barca "beat" Chelsea last year.
    With your epic fail in the chavball/sheep thread I never thought you would fall for that.

I'll say no more on the matter, CHD as usual despite my best efforts was onto me immediately. If you ask him who my favourite soccer manager is, I'm sure he will tell you.
    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Such high justice tonight!! Take your fancy short passing, your diminutive dribblers, your inflated sense of self worth as a football club and stick it up your gash along with your rolling around on the ground trying to con referees and your ill gotten semi final win last year.

JUSTICE!!

Tonight is a great night for football, a victory for tactics, organization, grit, bravery and determination. Fair play to Mourinho and his bunch of over achieving cast offs. Great stuff altogether!
      I don't really get the whole justice angle. I remember seeing you mention it after the first leg too. Justice for what?

Inter defended like champions and deserved to go through, but it's not as if they're some kind of virtuous football club.

Mourinho is a great manager and at times great entertainment, but he can also be a classless piece of shit. Ever since he called Ranieri an old man who has achieved nothing I've viewed him in a far more negative light.

Their fans are amongst the most despicable in Italy, or at least their ultras are. Fascist, violent and racist, they are only a slight step up from Di Canio and his mates at Lazio.

Their chairman is a tool who by all accounts is only chairman because his father didn't want to put him in charge of any of his other businesses because he was too incompetent, so he gave him Inter as a toy to keep him occupied.

The sentence bolded above applies equally to Inter with the exception of the fancy short passing and diminutive dribblers, which are hardly criminal traits in a football team.

I'm not a Barca fan, and I don't even have a massive hatred of Inter, I just think a bit of perspective is needed.

I also think Van Gaal will have enjoyed tonight as much as anyone. Bayern's defence would have been pulverised by Barca. I'd still put Inter as favourites, but it's going to be tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
        had lost a few bes recently, so i just let it all ride on inter and prayed for mourinho to be the magician he is!
        Well I'd say that one makes up so!

Originally posted by 30something View Post
        Here it is

Edit: Forgotten how to paste it normal size
        You use IE and PT3? Shame on you.
        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post

They're a club owned a run by the fans for the fans and nobody else, a club who pay their sponsor and cost themselves 7 figures a season to do so, they are a club who practically represent a nation. If they haven't got an entitlement to consider themselves "More than a club" than nobody does. It doesn't entitle them to win anything ofc, but they have no inflated sense of selfworth as a football club. What they are 'worth' as a football club is immeasurable, hence Mes Que Un Club,
          Nobody does.

As I said, stick your inflated sense of self worth up your gash.

Meanwhile on a related point, you Dublin lads trumpeting the awe inspiring greatness of the lost nation of Catalonia make sure to keep your mouths shut the next time lads post in this thread about their love for Celtic Football club. Alright?

lol football fans.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
            Can people stop going on about Barcelona's great generosity in the UNICEF deal. God you would think Barce are some benevolent charity organization to hear some of you talk. From what I have read it one of the most cynical pieces of all be it genius business by any football club in the world.

Opr
            This basically.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

lol football fans indeed.

Thank fukk the T20 (and cricket season essentially) starts this weekend.

Ireland v West Indies Friday @ 22.00 on Sky
              Ireland v England Tuesday @ 18.30 on Sky

Back to the caribeen baby!

Comment

lol, just back from the pub watching the match, had a 200 euro bet with a guy in the pub,i bet on inter to qualify, gave him 6/4 on Barca, 5 minutes before the end of match he disappears, 15 minutes later he comes back tells me hes short on cash and gives me a playstation 3 with 2 new games, sweet deal for me imo

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                  I don't really get the whole justice angle. I remember seeing you mention it after the first leg too. Justice for what?
                  Barcelona had no business playing in the Champions League final 2009. A fact understandably forgotten when they seized their ill gotten opportunity with both hands in the final itself. As such, it would have been pretty sick for them to win two in a row in the modern era and be hailed as the 'greatest club side eva' on that basis.

Hence: "Justice".

As for the Inter end of it, I just think the players on the Inter side who have been thrown to the curb over the past couple of seasons by various powerhouse clubs (like Barca!) deserve huge credit for manipulating the chip on their collective shoulder in the manner they have done thus far in the competition.

Comment

Nobody does.

As I said, stick your inflated sense of self worth up your gash.

Meanwhile on a related point, you Dublin lads trumpeting the awe inspiring greatness of the lost nation of Catalonia make sure to keep your mouths shut the next time lads post in this thread about their love for Celtic Football club. Alright?

lol football fans.
                    I'm a Shels fan, Lloyd, and a Barca admirer. I've never been to Barcelona, I'm as Catalan as Franco, I don't claim otherwise, I don't see myself as part of any kind of Catalan culture, nor have I mentioned any desire for them to gain independence. What I truly know about Catalan culture could fit on a postage stamp. Doesn't change a thing, though. Barcelona as a football club and what it means to the Catalan people is beyond argument, and you're coming across as silly if you try and downplay it. They're in many ways the symbol of a nation for many reasons that have been outlined here and elsewhere, they're run by the people for the people, they represent the people. Their decisions are made for the benefit of the people who own them, not shareholders, not for profit, not for the benefit of their foreign owners, but for the people of the area who own them. That's why they make decisions like not having a shirt sponsor > 20 odd million a year of profit, it wouldn't happen elsewhere. In every single way imaginable, they are Mes Que Un Club. Whatever bs your spouting about some weird sense of on field justice I'll ignore (Though I'll again lol at Inter winning for non rolling around on the floor), this is beyond defence for you.

The argument with Celtic makes no sense by the way, only if I considered Barcelona to be Irish. I don't, weirdly enough. They're their own team and are a symbol of their area. I'm not part of that area or culture nor would I ever pretend to be.
                    Last edited by Sledgejammer; 28-04-10, 22:55.
                    "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtCb4H6p9U[/ame]

Comment

if people could join this facebook group please

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

doubt will change anything but u never know.Homeless hostels are being shut down which is terrible especially in this recessionary times.I worked in one in amien street and the service was badly needed.

Comment

two 1/3 shots losing back to back . . . covers one them two, nearly! haha but still ver nice
                          GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                            Originally posted by oleras View Post
                            You would have felt/heard it for sure !!!

Smoker ? Could be a lung issue.
                            No smoking. its sore to the touch right in on the ribs. Ah its probably a muscle that I keep making worse by doing stuff.

It keeps waking me up at night is the worst part.
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggl View Post
                              lol, just back from the pub watching the match, had a 200 euro bet with a guy in the pub,i bet on inter to qualify, gave him 6/4 on Barca, 5 minutes before the end of match he disappears, 15 minutes later he comes back tells me hes short on cash and gives me a playstation 3 with 2 new games, sweet deal for me imo
                              Definitely, what games?

His kids are gonna kill him

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

doubt will change anything but u never know.Homeless hostels are being shut down which is terrible especially in this recessionary times.I worked in one in amien street and the service was badly needed.
                                only gives a like this option???... sad to hear that shite.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                  Oh Danny, you should read all posts before you reply.
                                  I read them alright any yours kept getting worse.

Your attempts to backtrack when you realise you've gotten things arseways by using the 'i'm levelling' excuse has gotten pretty lame at this stage tbh.
                                  Last edited by dannydiamond; 28-04-10, 22:52.
                                  We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                    Definitely, what games?

pro evo and fight night

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                      Definitely, what games?

if its his kids give it back and catch him again,i dont know maybe i am a softie at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        what apps should I get for my iPhone? why? and what do they do?
                                        Ping - free iphone to iphone messanger
                                        Ebay - if you use it
                                        Sky Movile Tv- this is £6 a month and you get SS1, SS2, SS3, SSX, at the races, SSN, ESPN and sky news all live and for only the £6 a month, which imo is excellent value and defo worth it
                                        Xe currency exchange - latest exchange rates
                                        Paper toss - good game, very addictive
                                        Wiki - self explanatory
                                        Angry birds - probably the best game on it tbh
                                        doodle jump is also very good
                                        Talking carl is good fun for children and a general piss take - its a voice changer and funny

Most of these are free but i dont think any are over 59p

Comment

if its his kids give it back and catch him again,i dont know maybe i am a softie at heart.
                                          Good shout peteypop.
                                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

no i dont think he has kids, though im not sure, if it is i would give it back, i wouldnt have the heart to take it

Comment

Nice bluff by him imo.
                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

i dont think id of taken the ps3 anyway, this guy totally random?

Comment

coupled with the fact that iam just not playing my"A" game atm i also run verybad

edit:
                                                  did i say i suck

edit:
                                                  what about running bad did i mention that

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I'm a Shels fan, Lloyd, and a Barca admirer. I've never been to Barcelona, I'm as Catalan as Franco, I don't claim otherwise, I don't see myself as part of any kind of Catalan culture, nor have I mentioned any desire for them to gain independence. What I truly know about Catalan culture could fit on a postage stamp. Doesn't change a thing, though. Barcelona as a football club and what it means to the Catalan people is beyond argument, and you're coming across as silly if you try and downplay it. They're in many ways the symbol of a nation for many reasons that have been outlined here and elsewhere, they're run by the people for the people, they represent the people. Their decisions are made for the benefit of the people who own them, not shareholders, not for profit, not for the benefit of their foreign owners, but for the people of the area who own them. That's why they make decisions like not having a shirt sponsor > 20 odd million a year of profit, it wouldn't happen elsewhere. In every single way imaginable, they are Mes Que Un Club. Whatever bs your spouting about some weird sense of on field justice I'll ignore (Though I'll again lol at Inter winning for non rolling around on the floor), this is beyond deference for you.

The argument with Celtic makes no sense by the way, only if I considered Barcelona to be Irish. I don't, weirdly enough. They're their own team and are a symbol of their area. I'm not part of that area or culture nor would I ever pretend to be.
                                                    They have marketed themselves very successfully as the squeaky clean team of tradition, and have gone to great lengths to put themselves in the running as the "second club" of football fans all over the world. The Unicef decision is part of that marketing strategy and, as such, is cynical in nature at its core.

As for the Celtic reference, my point is that Irish people over here get caught up in a misrepresentation of what Celtic stands for and who they represent. But it isn't entirely their fault, as Celtic have a marketing department tuned in to that strand of appeal, and they encourage the misunderstanding because it is a good business move to do so.

For me, Irish lads here typing "Mes Que Un Club" are every bit as bizarre as people telling me I ain't truly Irish if I don't pay attention to Celtic, or lads who have no family or friends directly or indirectly affected by Hillsborough and don't attend Anfield regularly typing "Justice for the 96".

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                      i dont think id of taken the ps3 anyway, this guy totally random?
                                                      i only know him from the pub, hes about 25, total degen, if i didnt take the ps3 i may not have ever got the loot and i wanted one anyway, just to lazy to buy one myself, two bird with one stone and all

Comment

pro evo and fight night
                                                        sweet, two good games too!

Comment

Serious lack of real info on that group from what I can see.
                                                          The 'Info' page appears blank for me. (is it?)

Spent 5 minutes trying to find info on which homeless services are being shut down and where?
                                                          Watched the youtube clip relating to some U.S city.

Comment

So Real will host Germans and Italians and I bet they couldn't be more delighted.

The barca bashing is obscene imo. Great football team playing beautiful football. fair play to Inter but I won't really be tuning in each week to watch them play as I do Barca.

Great post by Aj on barca it doesn't immune them from criticidm though as off the pitch they let themselves down, similar to Drogba last season when his team appeared robbed.

Now La Liga gets even more interesting, will Barca reaxt good/bad to this

the real issue should be the pathetic reffing AGAIN this year. FIFA/EUFA need to do something.

Comment

They have marketed themselves very successfully as the squeaky clean team of tradition, and have gone to great lengths to put themselves in the running as the "second club" of football fans all over the world. The Unicef decision is part of that marketing strategy and, as such, is cynical in nature at its core.

As for the Celtic reference, my point is that Irish people over here get caught up in a misrepresentation of what Celtic stands for and who they represent. But it isn't entirely their fault, as Celtic have a marketing department tuned in to that strand of appeal, and they encourage the misunderstanding because it is a good business move to do so.

For me, Irish lads here typing "Mes Que Un Club" are every bit as bizarre as people telling me I ain't truly Irish if I don't pay attention to Celtic, or lads who have no family or friends directly or indirectly affected by Hillsborough and don't attend Anfield regularly typing "Justice for the 96".
                                                              Are you telling me the EV of paying Unicef millions a year + opportunity cost of giving up one of the biggest sponsorship deals in football is worth it from a purely profitable perspective? If all they wanted was money they'd have the sponsor on their shirt. You watch what'd happen the Barca president who tried to vote in the shirt sponsorship idea. It'd be a different reaction to just throwing a few Norwich scarves on Also pre Unicef they were still one of the only clubs in world football to have nothing on their shirts. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AT ANY OTHER CLUB BECAUSE BARCELONA ARE DIFFERENT. Sorry but it's true.

Celtic annoy me because they claim to be Irish, no more no less, and their fans are worse for it. I don't see the comparison here at all? If Barcelona market their history than it's justified, and anyway, most literature on the subject comes from third party sources. Jimmy Burns book probably did more for Barcelona's 'marketing' than they ever did, but is it marketing if it's simply retelling history as it happened? Should they try and shut people up about it? I'd understand your arguments if it was based on falsehoods, but it's not. It'd be like arguing that Man United 'market' the Munich air disaster, it won them a lot of support and gets referenced alot but it's hardly the same thing.

And Mes Que Un Club is written on the stadium and is simply as good a way as any to describe it. Essentially you're suggesting you can't believe in any cause you're not directly related too with your Justice for the 96 comment, could that not be written by someone who educated themselves on the incident and feels strongly about it? If I typed on here I hopoe Maddy McCann gets justice would you say "lol wasn't your kid you weren't directly affected by it what right do you have to comment"? That makes no sense, and I'm surprised I have to point it out.

Barcelona are more than a club (If that sits better with you) and you can't argue against it, what they mean to their people who own and run them and the way they are run makes them so. If people talk about it that's their right, doesn't change the fact it's true. I've already said why it's so, and even most people who don't like Barcelona wouldn't try argue against it.
                                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                                only gives a like this option???... sad to hear that shite.
                                                                Serious lack of real info on that group from what I can see.
                                                                The 'Info' page appears blank for me. (is it?)

Spent 5 minutes trying to find info on which homeless services are being shut down and where?
                                                                Watched the youtube clip relating to some U.S city.
                                                                i know i seen the moronic video showing the american city,when this is an irish group,i think who ever set it up didnt research properly after all there is rte vids on the situation.Amien street hostel is in the process of being shut down and the salvation army hostel cedar house is in the process of being shut down also and they are the main emergency shelters in dublin after charlemount street but the group is still worth supporting.

Comment

THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AT ANY OTHER CLUB BECAUSE BARCELONA ARE DIFFERENT
                                                                  Don't Aston Villa has some childrens chairty on thier shirt Acorn or something?

Edit

Acorns Children's Hospice cares for life-limited children and their families.

Comment

Barcelona had no business playing in the Champions League final 2009. A fact understandably forgotten when they seized their ill gotten opportunity with both hands in the final itself. As such, it would have been pretty sick for them to win two in a row in the modern era and be hailed as the 'greatest club side eva' on that basis.

Hence: "Justice".

As for the Inter end of it, I just think the players on the Inter side who have been thrown to the curb over the past couple of seasons by various powerhouse clubs (like Barca!) deserve huge credit for manipulating the chip on their collective shoulder in the manner they have done thus far in the competition.
                                                                    Fair enough I guess, I just found it a strange choice of word.

It's funny though seeing so many people who had dismissed Italian football as dead after the United - Milan game now drooling over Inter ( though admittedly they're not exactly inundated with Italians) Not referring to anyone on here, more Dunphy and a good few posters on the Boards soccer forum.

Hopefully this also means Italy keeps it's fourth CL spot, which would be good news for Napoli.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                      I should have said nearly any other club to be fair, I hardly know of the way every single club in world football is run, but Barcelona are certainly in a minority of probably around 1% especially in 'top level' football.

Comment

Originally posted by eight-ball View Post
                                                                        coupled with the fact that iam just not playing my"A" game atm i also run verybad

edit:
                                                                        did i say i suck

edit:
                                                                        what about running bad did i mention that
                                                                        I reckon if me you bubbleking and emmett should sat down in a game the rake would be the only winners - if only i could borrow that run good button for a day or 2 i'd be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                          So Real will host Germans and Italians and I bet they couldn't be more delighted.

The barca bashing is obscene imo. Great football team playing beautiful football. fair play to Inter but I won't really be tuning in each week to watch them play as I do Barca.

Great post by Aj on barca it doesn't immune them from criticidm though as off the pitch they let themselves down, similar to Drogba last season when his team appeared robbed.

Now La Liga gets even more interesting, will Barca reaxt good/bad to this

the real issue should be the pathetic reffing AGAIN this year. FIFA/EUFA need to do something.
                                                                          A year later Robben and Sneidjer will be back at the Bernabeu, the place they were shipped out of to bring in players who will win the CL. Delighted for them.

Comment

That's why they make decisions like not having a shirt sponsor > 20 odd million a year of profit, it wouldn't happen elsewhere. In every single way imaginable, they are Mes Que Un Club.
                                                                            Except in Birmingham. Narrow world view much?
                                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post

Edit

Acorns Children's Hospice cares for life-limited children and their families.
                                                                              Deal is cancelled now I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSloane View Post
                                                                                Not the biggest football fan or anything but I do have some recollection of the chelsea/barca game last year and chelsea were denied a penalty at some point I think - but claimed they were denied like a half dozen or something? And barca scored a great goal late on to go through iirc. Lol probably not even the same match.

Actually I was just watching this again on youtube. Probably 3 penalties! - one awful clear handball from pique anyway - and chelsea got a great goal too from essien. At least it was the right match i was thinking of. yay me

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                                  I reckon if me you bubbleking and emmett should sat down in a game the rake would be the only winners - if only i could borrow that run good button for a day or 2 i'd be happy
                                                                                  I run bad + make horrible choices

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                    Except in Birmingham. Narrow world view much?
                                                                                    Already clarified that and Villa aren't turning down nearly the same amount of money and have had plenty of shirt sponsors before in fairness. And Villa could change that policy tomorrow and there isn't a thing the fans could do, in that way they are different.

Comment

i know i seen the moronic video showing the american city,when this is an irish group,i think who ever set it up didnt research properly after all there is rte vids on the situation.Amien street hostel is in the process of being shut down and the salvation army hostel cedar house is in the process of being shut down also and they are the main emergency shelters in dublin after charlemount street but the group is still worth supporting.
                                                                                      I think it would be worth setting up your own group, whoever set up this one don't appear to be up to the task, not that I'm sure how much a facebook group will achieve.

Comment

Barcelona are more than a club (If that sits better with you) and you can't argue against it, what they mean to their people who own and run them and the way they are run makes them so. If people talk about it that's their right, doesn't change the fact it's true. I've already said why it's so, and even most people who don't like Barcelona wouldn't try argue against it.
                                                                                        We've come full circle, and it again underlines my original point. Plenty of sets of fans of plenty of clubs all over the world consider their club to be more than a mere sports team / club. Barca are no different in this respect, and are nothing special as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          Would it be possible to have a cracked or broken rib without having any idea of how or when I did it.

I thought I'd pulled a muscle in my side but its getting sorer all the time?
                                                                                          Well I have sprained my ankle without knowing what caused it, so anything is possible I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                                                                                            Fair enough I guess, I just found it a strange choice of word.

It's funny though seeing so many people who had dismissed Italian football as dead after the United - Milan game now drooling over Inter ( though admittedly they're not exactly inundated with Italians) Not referring to anyone on here, more Dunphy and a good few posters on the Boards soccer forum.

Hopefully this also means Italy keeps it's fourth CL spot, which would be good news for Napoli.
                                                                                            It is nothing short of absolutely hilarious. I'm reading some posters over there tonight and thinking "wtf?".

Comment

We've come full circle, and it again underlines my original point. Plenty of sets of fans of plenty of clubs all over the world consider their club to be more than a mere sports team / club. Barca are no different in this respect, and are nothing special as a result.
                                                                                              How many of these clubs are seen as the symbol of a Nation, a symbol of an entity that resisted the attempted suppression and elimination of an entire culture? How many of these clubs are run by the people for the people, not for profit, but for the benefit of the fans and people of the area they represent? How many of these clubs would value tradition over money to the extent of turning down a shirt sponsor? How many of these clubs could never be taken out of the fans hands, never have their faith resting in foreign owners and never be subject to the whims of whoevers in charge with no recourse?

Come back to me with a list pls

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                A year later Robben and Sneidjer will be back at the Bernabeu, the place they were shipped out of to bring in players who will win the CL. Delighted for them.
                                                                                                Def agree. Must be a kick in the teeth for perez. Ive always loved Robben. The last few games he has just looked so dangerous every time he got the ball. Pity he is so injury prone.

Comment

It is nothing short of absolutely hilarious. I'm reading some posters over there tonight and thinking "wtf?".
                                                                                                  Italian football is still screwed. The Mourinho factor has Inter this far.

Comment

Sledgejammer, to be fair I think you are getting a bit worked up over Lloyd's initial, admittedly intemperate, post.

Barcelona are football snobs. That's a fact. Cruyff says he can tell if a player is good enough for Barcelona by the sound of them kicking a ball. They are obsessed with technique etc and that is fine but the arrogance that comes with it has nothing to do with Catalonia or Franco or anything else. It is arrogance.

Sid Lowe, speaking on the Guardian podcast before the 1st leg v Arsenal, said that the Catalan press were making the point that if Barca had to lose to anyone they'd prefer to lose to Arsenal as they played football properly, as close as anyone else could to Barcelona. Sid Lowe, who knows more about Spanish football than either of us, commented that this was a sentiment shared by most Barca fans. That kind of snobbishness is always going to elicit negative reactions.

They are an astonishing club and fair play to them, but pride comes before a fall and their regal attitude to the style of football they play has created a dislike for the team and club among certain people. I, for one, am glad Inter and Bayern made it to the final and not Barcelona as they don't deserve to be there.

Comment

How many of these clubs are seen as the symbol of a Nation, a symbol of an entity that resisted the attempted suppression and elimination of an entire culture? How many of these clubs are run by the people for the people, not for profit, but for the benefit of the fans and people of the area they represent? How many of these clubs would value tradition over money to the extent of turning down a shirt sponsor? How many of these clubs could never be taken out of the fans hands, never have their faith resting in foreign owners and never be subject to the whims of whoevers in charge with no recourse?

Well I could think about a club like Athletico Bilbao who genuinely attempted to be a quasi national side in terms of its self imposed player eligibility restrictions, and the damage it suffered to its competitiveness (and consequent profitability) as a result.

And as for the gallant picture you are painting about the shirt sponsor stuff, please stop - I don't buy into it.

Comment

Sledgejammer, to be fair I think you are getting a bit worked up over Lloyd's initial, admittedly intemperate, post.

Barcelona are football snobs. That's a fact. Cruyff says he can tell if a player is good enough for Barcelona by the sound of them kicking a ball. They are obsessed with technique etc and that is fine but the arrogance that comes with it has nothing to do with Catalonia or Franco or anything else. It is arrogance.

Sid Lowe, speaking on the Guardian podcast before the 1st leg v Arsenal, said that the Catalan press were making the point that if Barca had to lose to anyone they'd prefer to lose to Arsenal as they played football properly, as close as anyone else could to Barcelona. Sid Lowe, who knows more about Spanish football than either of us, commented that this was a sentiment shared by most Barca fans. That kind of snobbishness is always going to elicit negative reactions.

They are an astonishing club and fair play to them, but pride comes before a fall and their regal attitude to the style of football they play has created a dislike for the team and club among certain people. I, for one, am glad Inter and Bayern made it to the final and not Barcelona as they don't deserve to be there.
                                                                                                        But your point is not what I'm arguing with, Lloyd is talking strictly about history and tradition here. I disagree with you entirely by the way, but not enough to get into it and you're entitled to your opinion. I will say though that Sid lives in Madrid, so what access he has to Barca fans is limited, basing it on the Catalan press would be like judging an English football teams fans on the writing of The Sun or Ian Wright, whatever arrogance you've heard hasn't come from the club, if there's a more humble and classy manager in football than Guardiola I've yet to see him - However by the same token I'd slate Busquets and the post match action as much as anyone, it is beyond defending.

Comment

I think it would be worth setting up your own group, whoever set up this one don't appear to be up to the task, not that I'm sure how much a facebook group will achieve.
                                                                                                          i sat thru my first strategic plan meeting in my new job ,in a residental drug rehab and heard how the funding budget was cut by 15% this year and 10% last year and because of this they are now running at 20% below capacity depite the fact that referals are up by 30%.Thats the government for u ,bail out the bankers but neglect the most marginalised in society ie. the homeless ,drug addicts and the poor.

Comment

How many people care?

It's. A. Game.

One team isn't totally run as a business, STOP THE PRESSES!

I can achieve some truly amazing things as a person for the benefit of millions and still be a complete asshole. No amount of good works gives a club the right to have the arrogance that Barcelona show on occasion.

Comment

Well I could think about a club like Athletico Bilbao who genuinely attempted to be a quasi national side in terms of its self imposed player eligibility restrictions, and the damage it suffered to its competitiveness (and consequent profitability) as a result.

And as for the gallant picture you are painting about the shirt sponsor stuff, please stop - I don't buy into it.
                                                                                                              A list of one? Plenty /=1. Bilbao are equally Mes Que Un Club by the way since I haven't got the Basque translation, I'd not argue with that, a truly fantastic club.

What don't you buy into? They don't have a shirt sponsor, never have and never will. What part aren't you buying into!? If anyone tried to bring one in they'd be hit with a vote of no confidence and be on their ear within a month. That's the point.

Comment

How many people care?

It's. A. Game.

One team isn't totally run as a business, STOP THE PRESSES!

I can achieve some truly amazing things as a person for the benefit of millions and still be a complete asshole. No amount of good works gives a club the right to have the arrogance that Barcelona show on occasion.
                                                                                                                I'm not arguing that you should care. Honestly, what cause are you trying to take up here? I'm arguing against what Lloyd said, if you don't care that's up to you. I also said it doesn't justify anything. I'm not arguing anything like the points your countering here. You seem to want to start a seperate argument about arrogance, I suggest barcaforum.com because nobody here is mentioning that or even defending or attacking the behavior of anyone associated with the current club

I don't expect people to care nor would I even mention anything to do with any of this if it wasn't brought up first

Comment

A list of one? Plenty /=1. Bilbao are equally Mes Que Un Club by the way since I haven't got the Basque translation, I'd not argue with that, a truly fantastic club.

What don't you buy into? They don't have a shirt sponsor, never have and never will. What part aren't you buying into!? If anyone tried to bring one in they'd be hit with a vote of no confidence and be on their ear within a month. That's the point.
                                                                                                                  No, the point is that taking on the Unicef name onto the shirts made the club money, when it is being portrayed as something they paid for, some sort of noble sacrifice. It's that sort of thing that grates.

Comment

No, the point is that taking on the Unicef name onto the shirts made the club money, when it is being portrayed as something they paid for, some sort of noble sacrifice. It's that sort of thing that grates.
                                                                                                                    Still waiting on that list, Lloyd.

And I'm sure it has its benefits, I doubt it brings in as much as a shirt sponsor would, and they donate millions to charity. I don't see why donating millions to charity is a policy that should be attacked.

Comment

Bunch of knacks moved a very large apartment building bin into the middle of the road, heard them laughing their way up the street, wp lads.

Comment

But your point is not what I'm arguing with, Lloyd is talking strictly about history and tradition here. I disagree with you entirely by the way, but not enough to get into it and you're entitled to your opinion. I will say though that Sid lives in Madrid, so what access he has to Barca fans is limited, basing it on the Catalan press would be like judging an English football teams fans on the writing of The Sun or Ian Wright, whatever arrogance you've heard hasn't come from the club, if there's a more humble and classy manager in football than Guardiola I've yet to see him - However by the same token I'd slate Busquets and the post match action as much as anyone, it is beyond defending.
                                                                                                                        You live in Ireland and can judge the fans better than Sid Lowe in Madrid? Also your analogy with English fans is ridiculous as it presupposes that I can only get information from those sources and have the intrinsic bias of an English reader rather than being an outsider like Mr. Lowe. Furthermore Sid Lowe is very much a fan of Barcelona and, if anything, is willing to see the positive side of their club.

I'm glad you like Guardiola. When did I mention him? I was taking about an ethos within the club. The ethos comes from Cruyff, not the manager. He is an enormous figure at Barcelona, moreso than any manager since himself.

You can continue spouting history at Lloyd. The club do have an overinflated sense of self importance. They are a football club, and an exceptional one at that, and in that context their sense of importance is ridiculous.

Comment

aaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X