X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post
    Liverpool fans really tilting even me

Opr
    I take extreme umbrage to this post sir.

I am fully aware of the financial importance of the CL, and the reality that once City get in they will be very difficult to dislodge. If the decision had been made to play a second string side for these past four Europa games I would not / could not have rationally complained at the decision.

BUT:

I remember the times we got beat in Europe by the likes of Brondby and Celta Vigo. I really remember the joy and happiness that I derived from deep runs in Europe, and the pure emotion I experienced on those magical nights in 2001 and 2005. I have always argued that you can't beat the satisfaction of the big European knockout games, and I don't think it is unreasonable to get caught up in the rush of the final stages of any cup competition. You only need to look at the highlights from the last two rounds of the Europa League to see what these games mean to the players themselves - and not just the Liverpool squad. Check out the reaction of the Athletico and Valencia squads when the final whistle blew tonight if you don't believe me.

In 2001, we beat Roma, Porto and Barcelona to get to the final, before meeting an Alaves side playing like their lives depended on it. If we are to win this competition, we will need to have beaten Lille, Benfica and Athletico Madrid - before possibly meeting a fired up Fulham. Winning this tournament will be a worthwhile achievement, and an immensely satisfying end to a bitterly disappointing season.

The Birmingham draw on Sunday DID NOT hinge on the Benfica game the previous Thursday. The team had more than enough chances to win before and after Torres was substituted, and should have been well able to handle their goal. The Champions League place is dying on the basis of the squad not performing in key moments over the broad stroke of the season.

Tonight is something to be celebrated, the semi final something to be excited about. I will make no apologies for enjoying this run. And I think it is an extremely cold and utilitarian outlook to be so focused on the financial aspect of the club that you would feel unable to do so as well.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
      Whichever of Carlton Cole, Darren Bent or Gabby Agbonlahor is the fifth choice striker.

That would leave them with Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe and Zamora.
      Will he take 5 strikers?
      Traditionally for the 20 outfield players you take an 8-8-4 formation (obviously some players don't fit into such neat boxes and are interchangeable).

But Capello doesn't strike me as the type to change this to 8-7-5, - (I'd have 8-9-3 as more likely than 8-7-5).

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
        Refuse to thank that one Willie. Explain away to me.
        I wish i could, perhaps this will expliain or maybe it won't, either way it's a good clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34ydLx706s&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34ydLx706s&feature=channel[/ame]

Comment

So given the choice of 4th or winning the Europa cup which would you choose ?

Opr
          On the night of the Champions League final in 2005, I said to my friends before the game that I would take a win if it meant we would not win anything else for the next six seasons. I meant it at the time, and I stand by the comment today. Think about all the clubs in the world and all the fans who never get near winning a trophy like this. The idea that one should choose qualification for the CL in of itself over the opportunity to win a European trophy is symptomatic of the kind of attitude to and engagement with football that breeds such disdain amongst League of Ireland fans for their Irish "big four" counterparts.

ditpoker was outraged last season when Harry Redknapp decided to punt the Europa League tie against Shaktar Donetsk - and I could completely understand why.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
            Atletico are frankly awful, would expect Liverpool to be fairly comfortable over two legs. They're very inconsistent though, very much an on their day team, but that day is very rare this season. Very dangerous strikers though, but a poor mid field and defence.
            I agree with that assessment, but at the same time Liverpool are very poor defensively this season, and the hostile Madrid atmosphere for the first leg will give them a big boost.

Comment

surely this gives a lot of extra incentive to DBC?

edit: nevermind, seems noel has it covered
              Originally posted by DBC
              The bet wil now take place from Monday 19th to Friday the 23rd. PP have a rake race/promotions thing called rakes and ladders on during this time so i assume ill qualify for that aswell. Maybe Noel can awnser that for me

Originally posted by paddypower
              April 9th 00:00 - April 18th 23:59
              April 23rd 00:00 - May 2nd 23:59
              Last edited by Zuroph; 09-04-10, 00:14.
              http://mobro.co/zuroph
              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

i used to think i was a unique quirky mofo but I now know I'm just another lunatic that posts on the internet, unfortunately I'm in the hapenny place when it comes to off the wall soccer posts, I'd like to thak LuckyLloyd and Kayroo for helping me realise this fact.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  On the night of the Champions League final in 2005, I said to my friends before the game that I would take a win if it meant we would not win anything else for the next six seasons. I meant it at the time, and I stand by the comment today. Think about all the clubs in the world and all the fans who never get near winning a trophy like this. The idea that one should choose qualification for the CL in of itself over the opportunity to win a European trophy is symptomatic of the kind of attitude to and engagement with football that breeds such disdain amongst League of Ireland fans for their Irish "big four" counterparts.

ditpoker was outraged last season when Harry Redknapp decided to punt the Europa League tie against Shaktar Donetsk - and I could completely understand why.
                  i was 3 when Coventry won a trophy and i would love to see them in a postion of fighting for a trophy. The europa league is huge and liverpool fans should be excited.

Comment

I take extreme umbrage to this post sir.

I am fully aware of the financial importance of the CL, and the reality that once City get in they will be very difficult to dislodge. If the decision had been made to play a second string side for these past four Europa games I would not / could not have rationally complained at the decision.

BUT:

I remember the times we got beat in Europe by the likes of Brondby and Celta Vigo. I really remember the joy and happiness that I derived from deep runs in Europe, and the pure emotion I experienced on those magical nights in 2001 and 2005. I have always argued that you can't beat the satisfaction of the big European knockout games, and I don't think it is unreasonable to get caught up in the rush of the final stages of any cup competition. You only need to look at the highlights from the last two rounds of the Europa League to see what these games mean to the players themselves - and not just the Liverpool squad. Check out the reaction of the Athletico and Valencia squads when the final whistle blew tonight if you don't believe me.

In 2001, we beat Roma, Porto and Barcelona to get to the final, before meeting an Alaves side playing like their lives depended on it. If we are to win this competition, we will need to have beaten Lille, Benfica and Athletico Madrid - before possibly meeting a fired up Fulham. Winning this tournament will be a worthwhile achievement, and an immensely satisfying end to a bitterly disappointing season.

The Birmingham draw on Sunday DID NOT hinge on the Benfica game the previous Thursday. The team had more than enough chances to win before and after Torres was substituted, and should have been well able to handle their goal. The Champions League place is dying on the basis of the squad not performing in key moments over the broad stroke of the season.

Tonight is something to be celebrated, the semi final something to be excited about. I will make no apologies for enjoying this run. And I think it is an extremely cold and utilitarian outlook to be so focused on the financial aspect of the club that you would feel unable to do so as well.
                    The competition in the past was much more prestigious and comparing nights in which we were involved then to its present format is not fair. Its bastardized format now has made it nothing more than a joke and the only reason the matches take on any sense of occasion is due to the random drawing of big teams together and the actual winning of the competition is meaningless.

While enough chances were created to beat Birmingham trying to claim that the Benfica game had no influence is native in the extreme. Had we played a second string all players would have been much more refreshed including Torres being able to play a full game and regardless of what happened this will always increase our percentage chance of winning.

Thus in lies my problem that 4th is priority and however much I enjoyed tonight it will always be bitter sweet when I am thinking of the greater good.

Opr

Comment

Perhaps the financial implications of not qualifying for the CL are lost on some Liverpool fans . Especially when the club is in dire need of the monies involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                        i used to think i was a unique quirky mofo but I now know I'm just another lunatic that posts on the internet, unfortunately I'm in the hapenny place when it comes to off the wall soccer posts, I'd like to thak LuckyLloyd and Kayroo for helping me realise this fact.
                        I'll admit I was probably pissing into the wind last night to a certain extent but I cannot see how you could say Zamora isn't a better choice than Heskey? In a, I hate to admit it, inferior attacking side to Villa, Zamora has more shots on target, more appearances, more goals, more assists, more everything than Heskey.

You might say that's cause he plays more but surely the fact he starts every week for Fulham more or less and is definitely one of the first names on the sheet every game means he is in better nick for going to the World Cup than Heskey?

He's not getting in ahead of Defoe, Rooney or probably Bent, but if Heskey's name is on that list how can you say Zamora's shouldn't be?
                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The competition in the past was much more prestigious and comparing nights in which we were involved then to its present format is not fair. Its bastardized format now has made it nothing more than a joke and the only reason the matches take on any sense of occasion is due to the random drawing of big teams together and the actual winning of the competition is meaningless.
                          Stop pissing all over my parade. Don't try and tell me it's meaningless, or any of the fans of the teams who are still in it. If Fulham won this competition it would be a truly incredible achievement and it's not like we've come the easy way or come up against teams resting players in the knockout stages. Juventus 4-1 and that Dempsey goal will remain among my favourite football memories of all time.

Stop looking down your nose at a competition that still has meaning for some fans, even if Liverpool and United want to look down their noses at it.

Comment

Whats this soccer thing that everyone keeps talkin about

Comment

While enough chances were created to beat Birmingham trying to claim that the Benfica game had no influence is native in the extreme. Had we played a second string all players would have been much more refreshed including Torres being able to play a full game and regardless of what happened this will always increase our percentage chance of winning.

Thus in lies my problem that 4th is priority and however much I enjoyed tonight it will always be bitter sweet when I am thinking of the greater good.

Opr
                              You see that type of stuff irks me beyond belief. So what if they changed the format of the competition? The Champions League format has changed dramatically over the years (ffs, it wasn't always the "Champions League"); the Premiership used to be called the first division and have 22 teams.

Whatever the format, the constant has been the desire of players to win it and the consequent joy fans throughout Europe have experienced from doing so.

As for winning percentage, of course you are correct that tanking the game the previous Thursday would have increased our edge, but either way they should have won! I mean, if they can't win that game in the context with which it was played they don't fucking deserve a top four spot!! If Liverpool fail to qualify for the CL because they weren't good enough over an entire season that is reality and we all have to deal with it.

Part of that reality is that winning trophies may become a less frequent experience from this season on, and I am therefore loathe to spurn the opportunity that is there for the taking right now.

Comment

I'll admit I was probably pissing into the wind last night to a certain extent but I cannot see how you could say Zamora isn't a better choice than Heskey? In a, I hate to admit it, inferior attacking side to Villa, Zamora has more shots on target, more appearances, more goals, more assists, more everything than Heskey.

You might say that's cause he plays more but surely the fact he starts every week for Fulham more or less and is definitely one of the first names on the sheet every game means he is in better nick for going to the World Cup than Heskey?

He's not getting in ahead of Defoe, Rooney or probably Bent, but if Heskey's name is on that list how can you say Zamora's shouldn't be?
                                I'm slagging you changing it from Crouch to Heskey really but if pushed I'd point to Interntional experience is on Heskeys side and in the WC that's vital. Do i think Zamora is a better player? on current form probably, the WC though is a different matter. I'm sure Cappello knows more than me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                  I'm slagging you changing it from Crouch to Heskey really but if pushed I'd point to Interntional experience is on Heskeys side and in the WC that's vital. Do i think Zamora is a better player? on current form probably, the WC though is a different matter. I'm sure Cappello knows more than me though.
                                  I deserve slagging for changing it but I was just in from the pub after watching that win so cut me a little slack.

Also, trying to get the pub to tune in ITV4 and watch Fulham when there are a good few Pool fans in the room is a fucking achievement.

I still reckon Zamora >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heskey any day of the week.

Comment

just back from SE double chance. build up a tank to 18k.

150/300 level
                                    Utg limps
                                    i raise on the button to 975 with AA
                                    utg calls
                                    flop 9c Jc 2d
                                    i bet 1750
                                    Utg raises to 4000
                                    I ship like a donkey and get snapped by 9Jo

apperently it is now en vogue to limp call J9 utg. i obv butchered the hand - just a little frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by bubbleking View Post

150/300 level
                                      Utg limps
                                      utg calls
                                      flop 9c Jc 2d
                                      i bet 1750
                                      Utg raises to 4000

apperently it is now en vogue to limp call J9 utg. i obv butchered the hand - just a little frustrating
                                      Obv knew he'd get paid off when he hit his two pair.
                                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Stop pissing all over my parade. Don't try and tell me it's meaningless, or any of the fans of the teams who are still in it. If Fulham won this competition it would be a truly incredible achievement and it's not like we've come the easy way or come up against teams resting players in the knockout stages. Juventus 4-1 and that Dempsey goal will remain among my favourite football memories of all time.

Stop looking down your nose at a competition that still has meaning for some fans, even if Liverpool and United want to look down their noses at it.
                                        I am prioritizing and trying to come up with the most +EV overall situation for Liverpool football club. For me that means ignoring the Europa cup while we still can attain 4th.

You see that type of stuff irks me beyond belief. So what if they changed the format of the competition? The Champions League format has changed dramatically over the years (ffs, it wasn't always the "Champions League"); the Premiership used to be called the first division and have 22 teams.

Whatever the format, the constant has been the desire of players to win it and the consequent joy fans throughout Europe have experienced from doing so.

As for winning percentage, of course you are correct that tanking the game the previous Thursday would have increased our edge, but either way they should have won! I mean, if they can't win that game in the context with which it was played they don't fucking deserve a top four spot!! If Liverpool fail to qualify for the CL because they weren't good enough over an entire season that is reality and we all have to deal with it.

Part of that reality is that winning trophies may become a less frequent experience from this season on, and I am therefore loathe to spurn the opportunity that is there for the taking right now.
                                        I don't agree if the overall strategy is to the detriment of the prioritized goal. One could argue that if Liverpool don't finish 4th that it was at the expense of progression in the Europa league which I think is madness.

Your idea that taking the short term view of winning a trophy now compared with the longterm view of finishing 4th and ensuring a much better longterm strategy I find surprising coming from you.

Opr

Comment

Lloyd, you're posts on LFC are so strange and unlike you . Full of short term thinking and seemingly resigned to mediocrity. Where's the fight man, where's the passion!! "before possibly meeting a fired up Fulham" seriously, it'll be an achievement to beat a "fired up Fulham" now? I can't believe what I'm reading TBH... I can't fathom how any LFC would put winning the Europa Cup ahead of finishing 4th in the league! City haven't got it yet, and I'm starting to come round to the thinking that them not getting 4th is better then you guys not getting it!

And comparing the Europa league to the UEFA cup of old is crazy, it's simply not, the standard is just not there anymore to make it a worthwhile cup for a Big club, it'd be a great achievement for Fulham to win it, but for LFC it should be the same or similar to the Carling Cup (which again would be an achievement for Fulham to win).

Comment

football thread, please, the soccer talk has dominated for 3 days now.
                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

And tonight it shall end. I get the same way with the Nama-we're all fucked-LOL Greece type stuff but the thread ebbs and flows man, let it be.

Comment

150/300 level
                                                Utg limps
                                                utg calls
                                                flop 9c Jc 2d
                                                i bet 1750
                                                Utg raises to 4000

i take it u didn't win the LL?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  Will he take 5 strikers?
                                                  Traditionally for the 20 outfield players you take an 8-8-4 formation (obviously some players don't fit into such neat boxes and are interchangeable).

But Capello doesn't strike me as the type to change this to 8-7-5, - (I'd have 8-9-3 as more likely than 8-7-5).
                                                  I think he will and the reason being he has both Wes Brown and Joleon Lescott who both have and can play full back as well as centre-half.

I see his defensive part of the squad being made up of Johnson, Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Lescott, Cole.

There is a chance that he decides to bring either Baines or Warnock but with Lescott well able to play there I can't see why he would need to bring a second player for left-back only purposes.
                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                    i take it u didn't win the LL?
                                                    nah danny and connor were still il when i left - danny had quite a big tank built up

Comment

150/300 level
                                                      Utg limps
                                                      utg calls
                                                      flop 9c Jc 2d
                                                      i bet 1750
                                                      Utg raises to 4000

apperently it is now en vogue to limp call J9 utg. i obv butchered the hand Player was an idiot - just a little frustrating
                                                      Just a little ? shit like that made me stop enjoying poker(tournies, never a serious cash player), they say, you want people like that to be calling in that spot, in the long term you will be a winner over them, when will you be in that same spot against that same idiot at a live table again ? Where is the varience there ? Someone in their sig had" in cash games in varience, in tournament, its luck" never a truer word spoke.

It is impossibe to put an idiot on a hand, any 2 cards and all that, but i dont think anyone would be folding in that spot, sickining as the outcome was, you played it fine imo.( may have bet 2600 on the flop but it was going in anyway in hindsight)
                                                      Last edited by oleras; 09-04-10, 00:54.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Really loving the new Jonsi album:

If Sigur Ros don't get it together again, this music will nicely compensate imo:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Also listening a lot to this recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeA-jYDrZYQ
                                                        IIRC and I am just back from beering after sending a mate off to Denmark for college related stuff, but Jonsi has categorically stated more than once that there will be more Sigur Ros. There is a recent Irish Times article online that I read to confirm this.

Tbh I might even venture to the picnic this year as a picnic virgin to see him. But I have RATM in June, Rock Wertcher in July and other stuff planned over the summer that may take priority.

The sickest thing of all I was not a Sigur Ros fan until about 3 months after they played the picnic 2 years ago = morbid depression.

Anyway, love this tune, probably my fave one of theirs:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQ2WwiMndY[/ame]

Comment

And tonight it shall end. I get the same way with the Nama-we're all fucked-LOL Greece type stuff but the thread ebbs and flows man, let it be.
                                                          ya but at least that remains fairly civil!
                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Winning this tournament will be a worthwhile achievement,

for Liverpool yes.....

Comment

Originally posted by zuroph View Post
                                                              ya but at least that remains fairly civil!
                                                              Maybe I am wrong but tonights conversation seems civil and constructive to me ?

Opr

Comment

maybe it has, i just gloss past it and occasionally spot hot-headed posts, and baiting.
                                                                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

nah danny and connor were still il when i left - danny had quite a big tank built up
                                                                  ugh conor obv runs well - has dbc on his tabling - come he had an edge on us before we even started

Comment

I am prioritizing and trying to come up with the most +EV overall situation for Liverpool football club. For me that means ignoring the Europa cup while we still can attain 4th.

I don't agree if the overall strategy is to the detriment of the prioritized goal. One could argue that if Liverpool don't finish 4th that it was at the expense of progression in the Europa league which I think is madness.

Your idea that taking the short term view of winning a trophy now compared with the longterm view of finishing 4th and ensuring a much better longterm strategy I find surprising coming from you.

Opr
                                                                    Your idea that we can pass on chances of winning trophies when it suits us surprises me if you are a Liverpool fan age 25+. We haven't won one in four years, and we have won a total of 8 in 20 years.

You could argue that not finishing 4th was due to progression in the EL if you like. But the winning argument for failure to finish 4th will be down to the squad simply not being efficient enough over the course of the entire season - particularly in defense. The idea that the final 8 games are where it is won or lost is short term thinking, no?

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                                    Lloyd, you're posts on LFC are so strange and unlike you . Full of short term thinking and seemingly resigned to mediocrity. Where's the fight man, where's the passion!! "before possibly meeting a fired up Fulham" seriously, it'll be an achievement to beat a "fired up Fulham" now? I can't believe what I'm reading TBH... I can't fathom how any LFC would put winning the Europa Cup ahead of finishing 4th in the league! City haven't got it yet, and I'm starting to come round to the thinking that them not getting 4th is better then you guys not getting it!

And comparing the Europa league to the UEFA cup of old is crazy, it's simply not, the standard is just not there anymore to make it a worthwhile cup for a Big club, it'd be a great achievement for Fulham to win it, but for LFC it should be the same or similar to the Carling Cup (which again would be an achievement for Fulham to win).
                                                                    Hello concern troll. Yes, winning the Europa League will be an achievement every bit as good as winning it in 2001 was. The passion burns just as brightly as it ever did, any opportunity to add to the club's legacy in the most important respect (what it has won) appeals to me greatly. Whether you choose to accept either of those points is irrelevant.

Ultimately, my posts are worth only so much. Check out quotes from Gerrard and Torres over the past week where they claimed to be massively up for winning the Europa League as a fantastic end to a terrible season, and a worthy addition to their own haul of medals.

Comment

hate when this happens!

zuroph ($1,480)
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 ($1,540)
                                                                      dundee63 ($1,360)
                                                                      alanwong ($2,530)
                                                                      chrislapaz ($1,490)
                                                                      rojalJV ($600)

zuroph posts (SB) $10
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 posts (BB) $20

Dealt to zuroph Kc 6s
                                                                      dundee63 calls $20
                                                                      alanwong calls $20
                                                                      fold,
                                                                      rojalJV calls $20
                                                                      zuroph calls $10
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 checks
                                                                      FLOP ($100) 2s 3s 8s
                                                                      zuroph checks
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 checks
                                                                      dundee63 checks
                                                                      alanwong bets $80
                                                                      rojalJV folds
                                                                      zuroph folds
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 calls $80
                                                                      dundee63 folds
                                                                      TURN ($260) 2s 3s 8s 5s
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 bets $260
                                                                      alanwong calls $260
                                                                      RIVER ($780) 2s 3s 8s 5s 4s
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 bets $1,180 (AI)
                                                                      alanwong folds
                                                                      LARRYlarry38 wins $780
                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                        Just a little ? shit like that made me stop enjoying poker(tournies, never a serious cash player), they say, you want people like that to be calling in that spot, in the long term you will be a winner over them, when will you be in that same spot against that same idiot at a live table again ? Where is the varience there ? Someone in their sig had" in cash games in varience, in tournament, its luck" never a truer word spoke.

It is impossibe to put an idiot on a hand, any 2 cards and all that, but i dont think anyone would be folding in that spot, sickining as the outcome was, you played it fine imo.( may have bet 2600 on the flop but it was going in anyway in hindsight)
                                                                        yeah i couldnt really fold due to all the draws that is in his "range" lol.

still sick though if i manage to re suck out there im in great shape

Comment

Firstly, the Europa League is the same standard of the Uefa cup from the last 15 years or so since the CL was introduced.

As for the 4th vs EL debate, I think there is no reason why both can't be done. By the time we play Chelsea we will ahve played home to West Ham, home to Fulham, and away to Burnley. If they can't get 9 points from those 3 games then to blame that on playing a european match is papering over the cracks of not being good enough. At that point, we will have played the first leg of the semi final, and will know where we stand in relation to 4th. If City or Spurs perform above expectations and 4th is out of reach, or effectively then I would hope that influences the team selection, same as I hope it would if we are only a point behind 4th at that point.

Comment

For the last time: the essence of this thread is its diversity in terms of subject matter, and its free wheeling nature in terms of topic changes. This thread is not and will not be tailored to any specific taste. Calls to that end are pointless and irritating.

Comment

For the last time: the essence of this thread is its diversity in terms of subject matter, and its free wheeling nature in terms of topic changes. This thread is not and will not be tailored to any specific taste. Calls to that end are pointless and irritating.
                                                                              thats fine, it hasnt meandered in three days though !!

I believe a bit of venting is allowed??
                                                                              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Come on man, it has meandered. We had a bunch of economic / political discussion earlier today, a load of discussion around Tiger and the Masters this evening. To claim there has been three days rock solid football discussion is disingenuous.

Comment

Ah don't worry. In about 5 or 6 weeks the season will be over. All that is happening between then and mid August is the World Cup for 5 weeks and it's warm up games

Comment

You don't get it do you, this is a massive 7 days in sports, the Champion's League QFs, the Europa Cup, the Masters, the Grand National, Heineken Cup QFs, a huge London Derby next week as the season draws to a close.

You won't have any peace this weekend, and to be fair everything is decided over the next 6/7 weeks as far as the Premier League/Champion's League are concerned so its a huge time for soccer fans.
                                                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

as it was said many months ago;
                                                                                      What do Israel and Liverpool have in common?
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      No matter how much they try to say otherwise, they're not really in europe..
                                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Why the bold type ? Are you internet shouting ?

You could be a bit more civil to a fellow poster.
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Your idea that we can pass on chances of winning trophies when it suits us surprises me if you are a Liverpool fan age 25+. We haven't won one in four years, and we have won a total of 8 in 20 years.

You could argue that not finishing 4th was due to progression in the EL if you like. But the winning argument for failure to finish 4th will be down to the squad simply not being efficient enough over the course of the entire season - particularly in defense. The idea that the final 8 games are where it is won or lost is short term thinking, no?
                                                                                          I am on the wrong side of 25 but I understand what will most benefit the club longterm. The fact that other things will obviously contribute to us not finishing 4th doesn't take from the fact that the Europa league will have played a big part in it.

Check out quotes from Gerrard and Torres over the past week where they claimed to be massively up for winning the Europa League as a fantastic end to a terrible season, and a worthy addition to their own haul of medals.
                                                                                          What players will quote in public view and what they actually show to be their true feelings are two very different things!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0vAtVkC0Y[/ame]

Opr

Comment

Loving the homepage now that I finally figured out how to remove the top 5 stuff.

Comment

Over the last cople of months i've spoken to alot of Liverpool fans about the europa league, every single 'pool fan i've spoken to would love to win it.

As I said earlier, the uefa cup final in '01 was a huge occassion and one that will live long in my memory. Everything about Dortmund for 2 days was all about the football, it was hugely enjoyable and on a side note the Alaves fans were absolutely fantastic to us, i'll definately be making the trip to Hamburg if we manage to get there.

Did you see the effort put in by those Liverpool players on the pitch tonight?

Liverpool fans at the time will remember winning this and what it meant, I honestly don't get where you're getting the notion that 'Pool fans look down their noses at this competition?
                                                                                              We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                You don't get it do you, this is a massive 7 days in sports, the Champion's League QFs, the Europa Cup, the Masters, the Grand National, Heineken Cup QFs, a huge London Derby next week as the season draws to a close.

You won't have any peace this weekend, and to be fair everything is decided over the next 6/7 weeks as far as the Premier League/Champion's League are concerned so its a huge time for soccer fans.
                                                                                                I get it. its why I got sports in.
                                                                                                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                  Ah don't worry. In about 5 or 6 weeks the season will be over. All that is happening between then and mid August is the World Cup for 5 weeks and it's warm up games
                                                                                                  Dont forget the transfer window opening!

Comment

donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Lloyd got slightly infected whilst modding outside the poker forum on boards, and subscribes to using bold when being an important person as opposed to a normal one.

It always irritates me when I see a mod on boards doing this, tbh.

Comment

anyone care to explain how Agg numbers work in HEM?
                                                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

As for the 4th vs EL debate, I think there is no reason why both can't be done. By the time we play Chelsea we will ahve played home to West Ham, home to Fulham, and away to Burnley. If they can't get 9 points from those 3 games then to blame that on playing a european match is papering over the cracks of not being good enough. At that point, we will have played the first leg of the semi final, and will know where we stand in relation to 4th. If City or Spurs perform above expectations and 4th is out of reach, or effectively then I would hope that influences the team selection, same as I hope it would if we are only a point behind 4th at that point.
                                                                                                          That's more what I expected LFC fans to think, I hadn't actually looked at the fixture list but defo I think you guys should be trying to win both (once the EL doesn't hurt 4th position chances), I'm just surprised that some Liverpool fans would prioritise the EL over 4th (not just Lloyd BTW, some of my LFC following mates are the same way) or if given the choice would choose the EL, long term no CL is seriously damaging to LFC and a serious boost to whoever gets it in your stead.

I wasn't actually trolling, I was genuinely surprised...

Comment

more than the rolleyes smiley?

Comment

From interviews I had seen with the new Dr Who I didn't think I would take to him but I enjoyed the first episode.

Opr

Comment

That's more what I expected LFC fans to think, I hadn't actually looked at the fixture list but defo I think you guys should be trying to win both (once the EL doesn't hurt 4th position chances), I'm just surprised that some Liverpool fans would prioritise the EL over 4th (not just Lloyd BTW, some of my LFC following mates are the same way) or if given the choice would choose the EL, long term no CL is seriously damaging to LFC and a serious boost to whoever gets it in your stead.

I wasn't actually trolling, I was genuinely surprised...
                                                                                                                That is the problem. We shouldn't be in the situation where some people think they have to make a choice. I am not bemoaning the fact that we are in the EL, as that is what the performaces merited. However, facing the situation where essentially 1 player playing well can be the difference, and also looking likely to finish 4th just sucks balls.
                                                                                                                It never annoyed me except when you constantly misused it.

Comment

Comment

I don't get why there has to be a prority over the europa league and a top 4 spot?

This is total claptrap as far as i'm concerned.

There's only a handful of games left in the season regardless and there's no reason why the manager has to prioritise either way really. He's gotta try and put out his best team for each remaining game, the very same if Liverpool were still in the champions league.
                                                                                                                    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Dom, is it just me or is every thing on the front page a hot link to the vote marty fb page. (except other links).

I just clicked on a few spots and it keeps coming up!

Comment

+1

Comment

Seems like an open url tag,

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X