This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post
    All this talk of Xavi makes me miss Alonso so much. My favourite Alonso quote which is just so perfect.

Opr
    Spain played England in a friendly about 2 years ago (iirc) and Xavi and Alonso were in the middle for Spain. The English midfield didn't get a kick the entire game. Beautiful to watch.

I loved Alonso but I wished he went forward a bit more often. Xavi is just the complete deal. As Sledgehammer says, his passes aren't just sideways (ala Van Bommel) but defence splitting ones as well. On a different level.

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
      I think it was Almeria who against Barca this year man-marked Xavi and Barca really struggled. I thought they'd drawn 0-0 but Barca actually won 1-0, I just remember a lot being made of it at the time.

I don't know if there are any markets available for it yet but Xavi for the ballon D'Or might not be a bad bet at the right price. My thinking is that if Barca win the CL, which at this point looks quite likely, and Spain win the WC which admittedly is no certainty, the Ballon D'Or will go to a player involved in both, and the obvious choice is Xavi.
      While I'm not debating the merits of Xavi actually deserving the award, unless one of the already big names (Ronaldo, Villa, Ribery type) has an immense world cup, then as long as he stays fit then there is only going to be one winner again. Rightly or wrongly, it seems to go to the player that has the most hype around him. The days of mostly on the back of an excellent WC performance (Ronadlo in 2002, Cannavaro in 2006) winning the award are not going to be repeated this year as there were no players of the hugely hyped kind back then, as Messi and Ronaldo in particular are now.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
        It's a blatant yellow. It's not the contact which matters, that was fairly minimal. Ribery was on a very dangerous looking break. Rafael made no attempt to get the ball, all he tried to do was try to pull him back and stop the attack. Professional foul which is an easy yellow
        The fact is he didn't actually get Ribery to stop, Ribery stopped himself to counter attack Raphael with a slap (unpunished btw) , whilst at the same time demanding a free kick and a sending off, , he had Ribery in his pocket the whole game, this was Riberys only way out, worse than a dive in my view. This shirt pulling goes on all the time. I don't care if my view in in the minority on this , I'm convinced it wasn't a yellow card offence and so was the Ref until Ribery stepped in. You disagree meh, I've heard that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
          The fact is he didn't actually get Ribery to stop, Ribery stopped himself to counter attack Raphael with a slap (unpunished btw) , whilst at the same time demanding a free kick and a sending off, , he had Ribery in his pocket the whole game, this was Riberys only way out, worse than a dive in my view. This shirt pulling goes on all the time. I don't care if my view in in the minority on this , I'm convinced it wasn't a yellow card offence and so was the Ref until Ribery stepped in. You disagree meh, I've heard that already.
          I am a die hard Man utd fan but Willie it was 100% a yellow card.

Comment

THE LIST OF DIFFERENT TYPE OF SHIT

Ghost shit
            The kind where you feel the shit come out, but there is no shit in the toilet.

Clean shit
            The kind where you shit it out, see it in the toilet, but there is nothing on the toilet paper.

Wet shit
            The kind where you wipe your butt 50 times and it still feels unwiped, so you have to put some toilet paper between your butt and underwear so you won’t ruin them with a stain.

Second Wave shit
            This happens when you’re done shit-ing and you’ve pulled up your pants to your knees, and you realize that you have to shit some more.

Pop-A-Vein-In-Your-Forehead-shit
            The kind where you strain so much to get it out, you practically have a stroke.

Gassy shit
            It’s so noisy, everyone within earshot is laughing.

Drinker shit
            The kind of shit you have the morning after a long night of drinking. Its most noticeable trait is the skid marks on the bottom of the toilet.

Lincoln Log shit
            The kind of shit that is so huge you\\\’re afraid to flush without first breaking it into little pieces with the toilet brush.

Corn shit
            Self-explanatory.

Gee-I-Wish-I-Could-shit shit
            The kind where you want to shit but all you do is sit on the toilet and fart a few times.

Spinal Tap shit
            That’s where it hurts so badly coming out, you would swear it was leaving you sideways.

Wet Cheeks shit (The Power Dump)
            The kind that comes out of your butt so fast, your butt gets splashed with water.

Liquid shit
            The kind where yellowish-brown liquid shoots out your butt and splashes all over the toilet bowl.

Mexican shit
            It smells so bad your nose burns.

The Surprise shit
            You’re not even at the toilet because you are sure you’re about to fart, but oops…….a shit!!!

The Dangling shit
            This shit refuses to drop into the toilet even though you know you are done shit-ing it. You just pray that a shake or two will cut it loose.
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

essi hasn't really set the world on fire at International level, this World Cup we shall see what he is made of.
              Right now he is on fire and frankly any other player receiving the award ahead of him should be embarassed.

Can't wait for the World Cup. None of the Ole ole shitee. Just the overhype of da English, the brillance of the top world stars and the emergence of one or two to set the transfer markets going mad next year. And with most of Ireland out of work , we will all be at home in our jocks , muncing on our bounty bars and having a rare ol time. Bring it on.

I hope by then Someone sets fire to Beglin, the single most tilting commentator I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                While I'm not debating the merits of Xavi actually deserving the award, unless one of the already big names (Ronaldo, Villa, Ribery type) has an immense world cup, then as long as he stays fit then there is only going to be one winner again. Rightly or wrongly, it seems to go to the player that has the most hype around him. The days of mostly on the back of an excellent WC performance (Ronadlo in 2002, Cannavaro in 2006) winning the award are not going to be repeated this year as there were no players of the hugely hyped kind back then, as Messi and Ronaldo in particular are now.
                I have to agree. I'd love to see Xavi win it, especially after that English tabloid headline from a couple of seasons ago "Four of the worlds best players and Xavi pose for a picture", if Messi even half produces near his best at this world cup he's going to win it. And to be fair, it's hard to argue with that, it'd clearly be deserved, I'd just love Xavi to get some real recognition. Iniesta back fit and hopefully can get a sustained run and get back to his best for El Clasico this weekend, it's going to be some game.

Also I can't agree that this world cup will show what Messi is made of. We know what he's made of. Judging him on a tiny sample size of a tournament of a lower standard than the champions league, despite more prestige, doesn't make sense to me, even without taking into account the moron who's in charge of him. The CL is the highest level of football in the world and has the best teams, that's the true test of any player even though the world cup has more prestige.
                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by hatedajacks View Post
                  I am a die hard Man utd fan but Willie it was 100% a yellow card.
                  Die harder imo

Comment

Speed Sessions must have been invented by the Devil,

My lunchtime consisted of 5 x 1 mile speed sessions with 3 minute intervals, made it through to 4 and wanted to collapse on the last one. best pace was a 6.09 minute mile.
                    To think there is sickos out there that can run a minute per mile faster than this and maintain it through a full marathon

At least the Endorphins are flowing.

Comment

I hope by then Someone sets fire to Beglin, the single most tilting commentator I've ever heard.
                      slagging off Waterfords finest... Hes not the worst imo. Hes better than some of the messrs TV3 put on
                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Ribery and a few of the other Bayern players behaviour to getting Rafael sent off actually sickened nme to watch. Gutted after the result, totally outplayed them in the first 40 mins of gthe game.
                        Really getting sick of Berbatov too

Comment

Originally posted by bantee View Post
                          Ribery and a few of the other Bayern players behaviour to getting Rafael sent off actually sickened nme to watch.
                          they all do it, including United players

Q: who got Rafael sent off?
                          A: Rafael
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ribery and a few of the other Bayern players behaviour to getting Rafael sent off actually sickened nme to watch. Gutted after the result, totally outplayed them in the first 40 mins of gthe game.
                            Really getting sick of Berbatov too
                            Mancs are so sick they will even try to get their own team mates sent off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRYeIBO-ko[/ame]
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              they all do it, including United players

Q: who got Rafael sent off?
                              A: Rafael
                              True obv, and inexperience was a factor, but 4 guys running up making the card gesture certianly didn't help and the ref actually looked a bit unsure before that.

Comment

essi hasn't really set the world on fire at International level, this World Cup we shall see what he is made of.
                                Right now he is on fire and frankly any other player receiving the award ahead of him should be embarassed.

Can't wait for the World Cup. None of the Ole ole shitee. Just the overhype of da English, the brillance of the top world stars and the emergence of one or two to set the transfer markets going mad next year. And with most of Ireland out of work , we will all be at home in our jocks , muncing on our bounty bars and having a rare ol time. Bring it on.

I don't think Messi will ever shine with Argentina. They have always had problems on the pitch and off it. I remember hearing a great quote along the line's of.. "put one argentinian on a team and the team is great, put two argentinians on a team they are good and put three on a team they are average etc" this quote is probably more than 60 years old and is true to this day. They never should have appointed Maradona either. Anyway Messi = gifted

Comment

True obv, and inexperience was a factor, but 4 guys running up making the card gesture certianly didn't help and the ref actually looked a bit unsure before that.
                                  they were just being 'professional'

while it's pretty unsavoury to see, you see it all the time now - even in matches in the locla park. Fecks sake, you even see it on the GAA pitch!

Ferguson was, as ever, being completely and utterly one-eyed in his comments last night

Comment

Anone playing the monthly thurs game in SE tonight?

Comment

they were just being 'professional'

while it's pretty unsavoury to see, you see it all the time now - even in matches in the locla park. Fecks sake, you even see it on the GAA pitch!

Ferguson was, as ever, being completely and utterly one-eyed in his comments last night
                                      Lol and then you get the butt of a hulrey into the back when the ref has his back turned!

I haven't seen much of it in the EPL the last few years in fairness, maybe its just more prevelant in other European leagues and that's why it was a bit surprising to see it.

Agree that his comments were a bit OTT but then again it was in the heat of the moment

Comment

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
                                        Speed Sessions must have been invented by the Devil,

My lunchtime consisted of 5 x 1 mile speed sessions with 3 minute intervals, made it through to 4 and wanted to collapse on the last one. best pace was a 6.09 minute mile.
                                        To think there is sickos out there that can run a minute per mile faster than this and maintain it through a full marathon

At least the Endorphins are flowing.
                                        All relative. Thats very good running by you. Like I ran 5 miles at lunch and I'd need a calendar to time myself. Half thinking of running the marathon in Oct, but the summer will tell a lot.

Comment

under active consideration at present

Comment

ugh y did i have to see this

Comment

feck, you and me must be the only two left in the country that still eat Bounties
                                              I can't stand Bounties, awful things.

J10 Spades - Last longest this evening?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                I can't stand Bounties, awful things.

J10 Spades - Last longest this evening?
                                                sure why not, could even arrange 1c 2c NL for rolls too ..how much? i love bounties probably the best bar going, close 2nd/3rd turkish/galaxy caramel

Comment

Originally posted by J10spades View Post
                                                  sure why not, could even arrange 1c 2c NL for rolls too ..how much? i love bounties probably the best bar going, close 2nd/3rd turkish/galaxy caramel
                                                  €20? I'm pretty sure we'll both be gone by the break but might give me added incentive to stick around for hopefully a 5k+ prize pool.

Turkish delights also manky. Double Deckers or top decks (old school ) all the way

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                    Ronaldinho would have carried a fair bit of hype in 2006, as would Rivaldo in 2002 though I agree not to the same extent as Messi and C. Ronaldo now.

Obviously Messi is a justified favourite, I just think there could be value to be had in backing Xavi. I haven't seen any markets for it though so I don't know, I'm just presuming Messi will be ridiculously short and Rooney and Ronaldo will be second and third favourites.

Comment

Was thinking about it until I spilled a bowl of poxy tomato soup all over myself while eating lunch at my desk. FML
                                                      By the time I get home have a shower the Masters will be in full flow on TV.
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

€20? I'm pretty sure we'll both be gone by the break but might give me added incentive to stick around for hopefully a 5k+ prize pool.

Turkish delights also manky. Double Deckers or top decks (old school ) all the way
                                                        Yeah my little toddler runs better than i do at the moment. Sure i'll swap 10% with you too if you want. So whatever story you have to tell me at the break will make me happy should be a good game tonight.. just the two of us or get a few more fish involved? Edit- 20's ok with me
                                                        Last edited by IPB Champ; 08-04-10, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by J10spades View Post
                                                          i love bounties probably the best bar going, close 2nd/3rd turkish/galaxy caramel
                                                          Crunchie all the way imo

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Was thinking about it until I spilled a bowl of poxy tomato soup all over myself while eating lunch at my desk. FML
                                                          That was a fairly stupid thing to do...

Comment

that's actually one point in favour of not going; the place will be full of lads talking shite about golf

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                              Crunchie all the way imo
                                                              This a good shout also

Comment

that's actually one point in favour of not going; the place will be full of lads talking shite about golf
                                                                better than talkin shite about that match last nite...

Comment

Masters and poker what a sweet combo.....I wonder if I'll get it through on the home front.....

Request slip submitted......decision awaited.....
                                                                  Last edited by V for Vendetta; 08-04-10, 14:47.
                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                    better than talkin shite about that match last nite...
                                                                    maybe. I just hate golf.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                      Masters and poker what a sweet combo.....I wonder if I'll get it through on the home front.....
                                                                      arrrrghhhh not you too - infected with the golf virus

you all need help

Comment

This isn't photoshopped btw.

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

you all need help

I bought clubs last year and I've even had lessons!! In fairness it's getting reasonably cheap to play thanks to the recession and some clients like it so what can you do???
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                            Me too - I've read it most days for the last few years, so scary how many of their predictions have come through, particularly when you realise what their predictions for years to come mean for the future in Ireland.

I'm still so worried about the government doing something suddenly like leaving the Euro and devaluing before I can get my savings and investments out - but I've been reasonably assured that they just can't do this overnight. For me, this is a truely nightmare scenario - much higher taxes I can live with!!!
                                                                            Yep, nonzero probability IMO. What happens with Greece will give us a clearer picture of the size of that risk.

if you really are concerned:

fly to Germany or France, open a bank account

wire your cash there

bling blang blaow
                                                                            I've considered this but I reckon it's only slightly +EV when you consider the size of the risk, the size of my savings and the cost of the flights. That said, if there were better deposit rates on offer somewhere that could swing it. I should do my research.
                                                                            Last edited by brianmc; 08-04-10, 14:55.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJk-OempCJI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJk-OempCJI[/ame]Maybe some better news for United fans.Just signed Javier Hernandez the young mexican striker.Wont be getting too exited but seen him play twice and he looked really impressive
                                                                              Last edited by Hatedajacks; 08-04-10, 14:55.

Comment

I bought clubs last year and I've even had lessons!! In fairness it's getting reasonably cheap to play thanks to the recession and some clients like it so what can you do???

tell them you refuse to play on environmental grounds

at least tell me you don't own one of those checked pringle v-necks?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJk-OempCJIMaybe some better news for United fans.Just signed Javier Hernandez the young mexican striker.Wont be getting too exited but seen him play twice and he looked really impressive
                                                                                  you're right i won't be getting excited

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
                                                                                    Yep, nonzero probability IMO. What happens with Greece will give us a clearer picture of the size of that risk.

I've considered this but I reckon it's only slightly +EV when you consider the size of the risk, the size of my savings and the cost of the flights. That said, if there were better deposit rates on offer somewhere that could swing it. I should do my research.
                                                                                    biggest risk now to your savings probably isn't the stability of the Irish banks

it's inflation

Comment

biggest risk now to your savings probably isn't the stability of the Irish banks

it's inflation
                                                                                      Spend! Spend! Spend!

Comment

it's inflation
                                                                                        I've considered that too but haven't come up with a simple solution. Buy oil on Delta Index perhaps?

To be honest, I'm far too passive to bother doing anything. What little savings I have aren't even sitting in the best choice of Irish deposit account... by a long shot.

Comment

Request slip submitted......decision awaited.....
                                                                                          Major brag: Herself is studying for exams at the moment so I get a green light. Not only that but I get a ringing endorsement of spending a degen evening and I quote.....

To be honest I will probably get more done at home on my own cos I've no excuses of "keeping you company" or "making dinner"!!
                                                                                          I know this makes me sound like some 1950's husband type but she's basically being using any excuse not to study for the last while and I've been benefiting!!

Comment

I've considered that too but haven't come up with a simple solution. Buy oil on Delta Index perhaps?

To be honest, I'm far too passive to bother doing anything. What little savings I have aren't even sitting in the best choice of Irish deposit account... by a long shot.
                                                                                            commodities

Comment

tell them you refuse to play on environmental grounds

at least tell me you don't own one of those checked pringle v-necks?
                                                                                              Not yet, but if I could get one in pink then maybe....

Comment

I know this makes me sound like some 1950's husband type but she's basically being using any excuse not to study for the last while and I've been benefiting!!
                                                                                                Ollyk at home, awaiting dinner

Comment

commodities
                                                                                                  Is there a simple way for a small timer like myself to do that? As in a diversified portfolio of commodities? Is anyone mainstream offering a cheap "commodities" fund?

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                    This isn't photoshopped btw.

At least Nando had the wherewithal to pull up those extra long short sleeves.

Troggs
                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ollyk at home, awaiting dinner

major kudos. You got me down perfect!

Comment

Who is number 18?!^
                                                                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

is it just me or does Stevie G have freakishly long arms?

Comment

you all need help
                                                                                                            Would ya listen to Sean Kerly complaining would ya.

Comment

LOL from the BBC updates of the Masters

'1515: Fergie's not gonna be happy, Bernhard's gone three under after just seven holes! Outright lead for the German, typical...'

Comment

Is there a simple way for a small timer like myself to do that? As in a diversified portfolio of commodities? Is anyone mainstream offering a cheap "commodities" fund?
                                                                                                                Irish life have a useful commodities index fund that reduces the oil weighting by half.

Comment

Only in Ireland, What? Its in Denmak !

Comment

What do you expect after going out on away goals to Bayern just a few days after losing to Chelsea. And he has to give an interview just minutes after all of this. I think his reaction is somewhat understandable, although obviously it was a bit over the top.

Comment

Buy a house. Oh wait....

Comment

Rabo have a few options:

there's a Mining fund and a natural resources fund

not quite the same as buying gold coins or commodity futures but still gives you exposure

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                          Who is number 18?!^
                                                                                                                          Kuyt.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X