• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
    Chinese whispers in work can be so fucking tilting
    Fran said "Cadburys Wispas in work can be so fucking tilting"

Comment

Anyone fancy applying for this job?

Very interesting position especially in light of this article.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
        I think the main difference is that the pubs tonight won't be door to door United fans wearing United Jerseys cheering on Benfica. Last night you'd swear Liverpool were playing the CL final.
        I did see an FC Cologne shirt, WP that lad. United fans LOL at Liverpool, the Liverpool fans SEETHE at United. That's how I see it but then again I'm biased.

Rovers versus Bohs this week. I'm in the strange position of not knowing who to shout for. Meh give us a draw please.
        Roll back 20 years, and there is a great chance it was the complete opposite, although I can't really remember, and the less saturated football coverage probably meant it was a bit less obvious, but I'm sure that was the case generally then.

Comment

As for Raphael, I wouldn't be too hard on the lad, it was a simple pull back , if you get booked for that in the middle of the pitch the game is fooked. Redic booking but I'm not going to debate that with the ABUs on here.

it was a blatant yellow and a stupid thing to do given his earlier booking.

I actually wanted Man U to win so we could have a rematch of last year's final.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
            Roll back 20 years, and there is a great chance it was the complete opposite, although I can't really remember, and the less saturated football coverage probably meant it was a bit less obvious, but I'm sure that was the case generally then.
            Not really, there was jealousy but there was never a thing called an ABL. That pretty much sums it up imo.
            Only team I REALLY hated when I was a kid was Leeds, still do. Filthy feckers.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
              Fran said "Cadburys Wispas in work can be so fucking tilting"
              Yeah that is exactly what was said for sure Think i will give up this work malarky and concentrate on sccoping the Lotto.

Comment

Not really, there was jealousy but there was never a thing called an ABL. That pretty much sums it up imo.
                Only team I REALLY hated when I was a kid was Leeds, still do. Filthy feckers.
                Nah, as a Liverpool fan from the 80s, I think the vitriol was as bad, and there was definitely an ABL thing going on. I remember the pub going berserk when Wimbledon beat us in the Cup Final, when Michael Thomas scored at Anfield to win Arsenal the League.

The only reason it was less than the ABU-ism of today is because of the lack of the Internet/mobile phones, phone-ins etc.

Comment

I'd recommend anyone interested in Banksy should go and see this, think today is the last day.

Link no working, it's Exit Through the Gift Shop (12A)

Lighthouse cinema Ireland, Dublin, view current and upcoming films. Browse movie times, watch movie trailers, find cinema deals, and book your cinema tickets online today.
                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    Nah, as a Liverpool fan from the 80s, I think the vitriol was as bad, and there was definitely an ABL thing going on. I remember the pub going berserk when Wimbledon beat us in the Cup Final, when Michael Thomas scored at Anfield to win Arsenal the League.

The only reason it was less than the ABU-ism of today is because of the lack of the Internet/mobile phones, phone-ins etc.
                    funny that I never heard of an ABL until I decided to be one recently.

I remember clapping Liverpool off the pitch when they beeat Forest 5-0 playing superb football,. I also grew up in a hotbed of Chelsea-Utd_pool fanbase
                    the slagging was always there but never the crap you see today. Bitter IMO

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                      I'd recommend anyone interested in Banksy should go and see this, think today is the last day.

Link no working, it's Exit Through the Gift Shop (12A)

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/index.php
                      Never heard about this, would really like to see it but a 4.10 start i can't do. Will have to try and get it from other sources.

Comment

I don't think Utd were unlucky to lose last night. They were the better team, no doubt, but it wasn't luck that cost them. Maybe stupidity (on Raphaels part) or bad tactical decisions on Fergies part (although he did pick a team/formation that went three nil up) but not luck.

Comment

Greece is going down the tubes today

CDS spreads heading to 500bps

very bad news all round

Comment

funny that I never heard of an ABL until I decided to be one recently.
                            I remember for one sweet week when I was six, the playground was full of ABIs and I mocked them all, Lucky Lloyd style

hubris, hubris

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

very bad news all round
                              And yet the equity markets rise and rise.....
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                And yet the equity markets rise and rise.....
                                cash has to go somewhere

Comment

very bad news all round
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

here's FT Aplhaville on the subject of Greeks bearing gilts

Comment

He was in fine form last night. Prob posted b4 but wtf

Attached Files
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

all sorts of mad rumours flying around:

- Commerzbank are refusing repo financing to Greek banks
                                        - Citi have dumped 50% of their Greek bond holdings

one of those days where working in the markets is both terrifying and fascinating

Comment

So it was different because someone didn't think up a hold all catch phrase?
                                          Ya that works! :smolleyes:

Main difference is back then the majority of fans actually played a bit and knew about a bit about it, now the "Sky Sports fan"(tm pending) has taken over and all they are doing is filling the hole that is their empty lives with a cheap polly blend shirt and a misplaced sense of belonging.

A bit too into it because they don't really get it in the first place!

Thing United fans either don't get or don't want to get is most ABU's (not one myself btw) are not "anyone but United", they are "Anyone But United Fans" (I tend towards being one of these, but so do some United fans I know)

as United fans tend towards being a pain in the hole, mainly due to most of them not really getting it (see above)

I have a feeling that last night yer typical 70's Scouse comedian finally forgave the Geermeenns for bombing there chippy during the war

Comment

why do I bother trying to coverse with LOLLiverpool fans. I'll never learn

got WOlves to Kill

Comment

This is a fantastic piece of journalism from the Guardian a few weeks ago about this photo
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

why do I bother trying to coverse with LOLLiverpool fans. I'll never learn

got WOlves to Kill
                                                I know, heaven forbid they don't agree with your right royal manc'ness

btw cheap way of trying to cover the fact yer caught in your own trap, the droolers will no doubt row in behind and defend your besmirched honour

Last edited by Guest; 08-04-10, 11:07. Reason: *dam right smurph

Comment

I want rolleyes back....
                                                  Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Greek CDS spread has gone to 650bps

the markets are basically saying that Eddie Durkin has more chance of completing his prop bet than Greece does of paying their debts

we're next

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                      I know, heaven forbid they don't agree with your right royal manc'ness

btw cheap way of trying to cover the fact yer caught in your own trap, the droolers will no doubt row in behind and defend your besmirched honour

Comment

the markets are basically saying that Eddie Durkin has more chance of completing his prop bet than Greece does of paying their debts

we're next
                                                        The passport thing must be a government conspiracy to stop us all jumping ship at the same time

Last one down the docks close the door on the ferry to wales

Comment

all sorts of mad rumours flying around:

- Commerzbank are refusing repo financing to Greek banks
                                                          - Citi have dumped 50% of their Greek bond holdings

one of those days where working in the markets is both terrifying and fascinating
                                                          Where is the best place for plebs to watch it live

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Where is the best place for plebs to watch it live
                                                            MSNBC probably or Bloomberg TV

fucking nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                              I have a feeling that last night yer typical 70's Scouse comedian finally forgave the Geermeenns for bombing there chippy during the war
                                                              Fokkers.

Comment

MSNBC - http://www.atdhe.net/6268/watch-msnbc

Comment

One of my favourite Xkcd's ahs always been

Comment

Originally posted by ditpoker View Post
                                                                    these posts make my head hurt.

Berbatov - 37million pound striker. he is BRILLIANT. Any team, ANY TEAM, would be delighted to have him. Currently plays for a team challenging for the premier league and got to a champions league quarter.
                                                                    Tevez - great player, plays for a decent city team trying to get into champions league, where berbatov has been of late.
                                                                    Rio - 'on borrowed time' as captain of a united team that has got to two champions league finals and won 1, has like a gazzilion premier league winners medals, and will captain his country at the world cup... borrowed time, i think not.

in other news...
                                                                    United dropped the ball when they sold pique to barca...
                                                                    Ok i know its the morning after the night before and BBV has timing issues but your reply is LOL.
                                                                    When Utd bought Berbatov i thought he would be a great signing as a striker, considering his record at Spurs. Normally you can allow a player a year to settle in(although in fairness a player like Tevez doesn't seem to have issues bedding in to the new team system) and so Berbatov gets a years grace on that gorund. Ferguson makes the decision to sell Tevez (believed he was overpriced) puts Rooney on his own up front for the most important games and Berbatov becomes a side issue to how the team develops this year. In my opinion Berbatov shouldnt have been brought on last night..Marcheda would have been a bigger threat to the Bayern defence with his style of play ie hassling,running at players and busting a gut to get into the box. In other words a tevez type player.
                                                                    Your defence of Rio is bizarre? So what he has won titles before? His positioning since he hurt his back has been appaling and in the here and now considering Ferguson wants to win more quickly imo he will be on the way out with Ferguson already signing Fulhams Chris Smalling. Only an opinion mind you..
                                                                    I agree with you on Pique..Evans must have got the nod over him..

Comment

we're next
                                                                      It seems very quiet over at the property pin. Should I be looking somewhere other than the Central Bank?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                        Never heard about this, would really like to see it but a 4.10 start i can't do. Will have to try and get it from other sources.
                                                                        Let me know if you do, i'd love to see it but am busy today

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
                                                                          It seems very quiet over at the property pin. Should I be looking somewhere other than the Central Bank?
                                                                          The pin has been very quiet for the last while. A lot of the quality posters seem to have left the building.

Comment

The pin has been very quiet for the last while. A lot of the quality posters seem to have left the building.
                                                                            +1

its raison d'etre is basically fulfilled and accepted

Comment

It always had a large number of car crash watchers (like myself) though. I thought they'd be out in force.

Comment

It always had a large number of car crash watchers (like myself) though. I thought they'd be out in force.
                                                                                tbh, they're more concerned (in the main) with the price of semi-ds in South Dublin

Comment

On a lighter note did anyone spot Flushdraw?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddx0Lyi0v5M&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Me too - I've read it most days for the last few years, so scary how many of their predictions have come through, particularly when you realise what their predictions for years to come mean for the future in Ireland.

I'm still so worried about the government doing something suddenly like leaving the Euro and devaluing before I can get my savings and investments out - but I've been reasonably assured that they just can't do this overnight. For me, this is a truely nightmare scenario - much higher taxes I can live with!!!

Comment

is maps.google.com acting a bit weird for anyone else?
                                                                                      I can't pan around the map, or search for a location, it just doesn't load.

Comment

Last night was possibly the worst day/night of football I've sat through in terms of overall disappointment, even more so than Rome last year I think.

United have all sorts of problems starting with needing at least 6 world class players to actually become the team they should be, and continuing through Fergies inability to admit he's wrong and change things mid-match and finishing with Carrick who cost us both goals last night as well as countless others over the course of this season.

If United don't win their 19th title this year, it'll be at least 3-5 years before they're in a position to do so again.

What I find hard to fathom is that this squad could have been the first team to win 4 leagues in a row, the team that brought the 19th title to United & a team that made 3 CL finals in a row...they would have carved legends for themselves from those achievements. Yet, there's been little or no passion or drive all season, and even last night when we needed a goal there was no busting a gut performances to try and deliver it.

but cest la vie, 5 games left, if we win all 5 we have a great chance of winning the league. Typical of my luck that the year I get tickets from UEFA, United don't make the final. I'll probably go to it anyway, a Champions League Final is a Champions Legue Final after all.
                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                          Xavi being awesome etc
                                                                                          The best Xavi stat was over the two legs he made 244 passes, he missed 15 of them. 15!! Considering he doesn't just pass it sideways and managed two assists over the two legs and constantly looks for through passes, that's remarkable, and I believe he also covered the most distance of all the players over the two legs. Messi will get the hype, sure, but as good as Messi is at attacking that's how much better Xavi is than his peers at mid field play, he's equally dominant in his field and equally worthy of being considered one of the all time greats in his role.
                                                                                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by EARMUFFS View Post
                                                                                            Ok i know its the morning after the night before and BBV has timing issues but your reply is LOL.
                                                                                            When Utd bought Berbatov i thought he would be a great signing as a striker, considering his record at Spurs. Normally you can allow a player a year to settle in(although in fairness a player like Tevez doesn't seem to have issues bedding in to the new team system) and so Berbatov gets a years grace on that gorund. Ferguson makes the decision to sell Tevez (believed he was overpriced) puts Rooney on his own up front for the most important games and Berbatov becomes a side issue to how the team develops this year. In my opinion Berbatov shouldnt have been brought on last night..Marcheda would have been a bigger threat to the Bayern defence with his style of play ie hassling,running at players and busting a gut to get into the box. In other words a tevez type player.
                                                                                            Your defence of Rio is bizarre? So what he has won titles before? His positioning since he hurt his back has been appaling and in the here and now considering Ferguson wants to win more quickly imo he will be on the way out with Ferguson already signing Fulhams Chris Smalling. Only an opinion mind you..
                                                                                            I agree with you on Pique..Evans must have got the nod over him..
                                                                                            Last night a Tevez type player was needed because we were playing one up front. That Tevez-type player is Rooney, and unfortunately he is injured. Even if we still had Tevez, we line up as a 4-5-1 in big European matches, and quite simply he wouldn't start ahead of Rooney.

This season when we have played a 4-4-2 Berbatov and Rooney have linked up very well. The berba-Valencia-Rooney axis has come up with a lot of goals. The only times we have really missed Tevez is games where we were playing 1 up front and Rooney was injured, or to have as an option off the bench when chasing the game.

For a club with financial problems, spending 35 million on a substitute who is a very good but slightly inferior version of Rooney would have been madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                              ship the €1275 for 5 numbers in the lotto!!

Beat, lost a 42/1 flip for €13m
                                                                                              ugh fairly sick bein so close and only gettin €1275

Originally posted by smurph View Post

I want rolleyes back....
                                                                                              You know what this means???

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                              On a lighter note did anyone spot Flushdraw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddx0L...layer_embedded
                                                                                              Nope didn't see flushdraw - what time does he appear @.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                The best Xavi stat was over the two legs he made 244 passes, he missed 15 of them. 15!! Considering he doesn't just pass it sideways and managed two assists over the two legs and constantly looks for through passes, that's remarkable, and I believe he also covered the most distance of all the players over the two legs. Messi will get the hype, sure, but as good as Messi is at attacking that's how much better Xavi is than his peers at mid field play, he's equally dominant in his field and equally worthy of being considered one of the all time greats in his role.
                                                                                                [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sjmEfM1c88[/ame]
                                                                                                ''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                                                                                                I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                  Me too - I've read it most days for the last few years, so scary how many of their predictions have come through, particularly when you realise what their predictions for years to come mean for the future in Ireland.

I'm still so worried about the government doing something suddenly like leaving the Euro and devaluing before I can get my savings and investments out - but I've been reasonably assured that they just can't do this overnight. For me, this is a truely nightmare scenario - much higher taxes I can live with!!!
                                                                                                  if you really are concerned:

fly to Germany or France, open a bank account

wire your cash there

bling blang blaow

Comment

The day has come, my nemeses the vending machine is being hauled away , I looked on with interest as they unearthed that
                                                                                                    Cash cow from our refreshment area. How many times have I done battle and lost only to come back for more punishment.
                                                                                                    I have illegally shook the bastard until my spine nearly jutted out of my back and all for an afternoon bounty bar that was legally paid for but delivery blocked. Today I watched it being hauled off and I felt like one of the baying crowd shouting obscenities at a murderer being taken away to prison as I yelled over to the guys moving it. THAT YOKE OWES ME A FORTUNE. TAKE IT TO THE SCRAP YARD. They Laughed but little did they know the crimes that machine had committed as it sat innocuously in the corner. I'm dying for a bounty atm,, Damn I miss it already.

Comment

feck, you and me must be the only two left in the country that still eat Bounties

also, had a hankering for a Frys Chocolate Cream the other day - got some land when I couldn't find it in the shop

Comment

All this talk of bounties reminds me of the time those terrorists put one on the head of Kofi Annan

SPOILER

Comment

Dark Chocolate Bounties are unreal

Comment

All this talk of Xavi makes me miss Alonso so much. My favourite Alonso quote which is just so perfect.

Xabi Alonso makes this team tick.

There was a quote from the Daily Telegraph report after last Sunday’s match against Villa that I absolutely adore. “…The star of the show was Xabi Alonso. The Basque appears to operate in a vortex, time slowed around him so he always seems to have space. It is a rare gift.”

Rare to say the least. Alonso doesn’t move into space, he creates it from thin air with his positioning and close control, and has the vision to play a pass to any part of the pitch from anywhere else. He is an absolute artist – directing traffic seemingly without a care in the world, coolly spreading the ball wherever he sees fit to start the attack.

I’m reminded of a Renaissance book I read as an undergraduate called The Book of the Courtier. One had to have many talents to fit into a Renaissance court, but most important was:

“…To practice in all things a certain sprezzatura, so as to conceal all art and make whatever is done or said appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it.”

That’s Alonso. That’s Alonso to a tee..
                                                                                                            Opr
                                                                                                            Last edited by Opr; 08-04-10, 13:10. Reason: Didn't post properly first time

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                              I think it was Almeria who against Barca this year man-marked Xavi and Barca really struggled. I thought they'd drawn 0-0 but Barca actually won 1-0, I just remember a lot being made of it at the time.

I don't know if there are any markets available for it yet but Xavi for the ballon D'Or might not be a bad bet at the right price. My thinking is that if Barca win the CL, which at this point looks quite likely, and Spain win the WC which admittedly is no certainty, the Ballon D'Or will go to a player involved in both, and the obvious choice is Xavi.

Comment

ho ho ho

Comment

feck, you and me must be the only two left in the country that still eat Bounties

also, had a hankering for a Frys Chocolate Cream the other day - got some land when I couldn't find it in the shop

+1 on the bounties, lovely things. Also the same on the chocolate cream, but I prefered the orange cream one as a kid.

Comment

just playing my first game of rush poker wow its cool

Comment

Originally posted by Lafortezza View Post
                                                                                                                      is maps.google.com acting a bit weird for anyone else?
                                                                                                                      I can't pan around the map, or search for a location, it just doesn't load.
                                                                                                                      Tried different browsers?
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

As for Raphael, I wouldn't be too hard on the lad, it was a simple pull back , if you get booked for that in the middle of the pitch the game is fooked. Redic booking but I'm not going to debate that with the ABUs on here. Unlucky is how I see the last two weeks .
                                                                                                                        It's a blatant yellow. It's not the contact which matters, that was fairly minimal. Ribery was on a very dangerous looking break. Rafael made no attempt to get the ball, all he tried to do was try to pull him back and stop the attack. Professional foul which is an easy yellow

Comment

Reuters have a decent summary of the escalating Greek crisis

their government manages to make ours look dynamic by comparison (which is some feat)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X