This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Just finished watching Under Siege 2. What an immensely satisfying film!
    I suggest you move onto the Iron Eagle series of movies now.
    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Another Festivus miracle:

Comment

Any good movies worth watching?
        Not comedy, not sci fi.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
          I preferred The Sopranos.
          mods ban please for saying anything (regardless of how good) is better than the wire

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            oohhhhhhh

you're now on my enemy list.
            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
              Not for me personally as got too drama-ish in the last few series, but The Shield would be an excellent contender.
              over the last few weeks I rewatched both of these.. the wire the second time round was just as good and it was amazing how much I missed the first time..

The shield is not in the same category as a series but very enjoyable .. I think Forest Whitaker is excellent as Kavanagh.... watching the noose tighten on mackey as the series progreses was well portrayed.
              Last edited by Macspower; 02-05-11, 23:10.
              Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Garcia said the late pontiff wasted no time in performing the second miracle needed for sainthood, making it possible for American commandos to find and kill their hated Al-Qaeda foe, whom they had hunted for the past decade.
                Ah yes, killing and hatred. Staple miracles of all the successful saints.
                We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                    Got a great idea for an newspaper article. Have to prepare a talk for some people on Friday so was trying to plan it tonight; talk is something about how to manage your money and aimed at middle-aged drones. So may as well turn it into a newspaper article while I'm at it.

Going to call it "The New Social Money Rules", if can't think of a better title. Will give maybe The Guardian a ring next week and try to pitch it to them. Think it might be a goer tbh. Idea is that it would look excellent when go into the interview in Dublin if can mention it to them.
                    How about...

No’ Money Mo’ Problems
                    All about the Benjamins
                    Taking care of business
                    For the love of money

Comment

Comment

Unfortunately there are times when the soccer forum on boards.ie can severely tilt me. Certain types of trolling should not be on, and some pretty ridiculous stuff got posted there tonight. As usual, the culprit will go unpunished. Awful.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Comment

arrgghhhhhh

Made one especially for the forum

Comment

Unfortunately there are times when the soccer forum on boards.ie can severely tilt me. Certain types of trolling should not be on, and some pretty ridiculous stuff got posted there tonight. As usual, the culprit will go unpunished. Awful.
                              Was it one of our lot?
                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Why bother with the place?

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                  Was it one of our lot?
                                  Yes, and I guarantee you'll get who it is with your first guess.
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Yes, and I guarantee you'll get who it is with your first guess.
                                    I would guess Muppet but then I saw this and can't say I recongise the poster

Evening all, Can someone please take a look at my ban from the soccer forum, for alledged trolling. Thanx 4 the Fish believes I was trolling and off I go.

Although I just spotted it was created last night.
                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Genuinely don't know why you get so het up. Like if The Muppet was in your local pub talking bollix at the bar you wouldn't feel obliged to start conversing with him. So why on a message board does it bother you?
                                      Have to learn to let it go on the soccer forum. 95% tards.

Comment

Evening all, Can someone please take a look at my ban from the soccer forum, for alledged trolling. Thanx 4 the Fish believes I was trolling and off I go.

Wahey, about time he was banned.

Comment

Anyone who has been banned from the soccer forum is clearly just a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                            Wahey, about time he was banned.
                                            You got a good reference on the MUFC super thread last night, good to know your legend lives on a year later.

Originally posted by flahavaj
                                            You'd nearly wish CHD was still here, the quality has just plummeted since he left really.

Comment

Yup.

Genuinely don't know why you get so het up. Like if The Muppet was in your local pub talking bollix at the bar you wouldn't feel obliged to start conversing with him. So why on a message board does it bother you?
                                              Have to learn to let it go on the soccer forum. 95% tards.
                                              In this case I can't engage with him because the thread in question is predictably locked by the time I get there. If I was in a pub and I overheard somebody insinuating that Liverpool fans did do what the Sun claimed they did 22 years ago I'd make sure to note to them that they were talking deeply offensive bollocks.

Anyway, I have actually avoided debating him seriously in the Liverpool thread for a long time now. But Hillsborough trolling tilts me big time. Can't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                You got a good reference on the MUFC super thread last night, good to know your legend lives on a year later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...ostcount=29131
                                                I guess I just have a natural talent to troll United fans

Comment

oohhhhhhh

watched this bout 50 times -hilarity..

Comment

I think i'll start a % staking thread in the moning given that every other fecker on the site has

Comment

I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                        So I've decided to move on from my post Wire depression and commit to another TV show, more than looking for suggestions, I'm just wondering, does The Sopranos even remotely compare?
                                                        I was never a huge Sopranos fan but think it was decent, The Shield is also quality imo, what kinda series are looking for, comedy/drama/sci fi etc?

Also watch The Wire again

oohhhhhhh

Raise you these

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                          I think i'll start a % staking thread in the moning given that every other fecker on the site has
                                                          Technically I have but I haven't

Obviously yours would be locked quick smart

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                            I was never a huge Sopranos fan but think it was decent, The Shield is also quality imo, what kinda series are looking for, comedy/drama/sci fi etc?

Comment

Cant be shocked now with all the stuff I have missed and stuff that everybody likes that I don't its like a given at this stage.

Comment

This had me laughing hard.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw&feature=player[/ame]

Comment

Cant be shocked now with all the stuff I have missed and stuff that everybody likes that I don't its like a given at this stage.
                                                                  But not a huge sopranos fan.... not sure on that one.

Attempting to watch at least 1 ep of Nikita while slightly intoxicated, could go wrong

Comment

Also watch The Wire again
                                                                    Basically I just want The Wire, again. So there's some very sound advice in there, I may do exactly that...
                                                                    "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

But not a huge sopranos fan.... not sure on that one.

Attempting to watch at least 1 ep of Nikita while slightly intoxicated, could go wrong
                                                                      I think the big thing with The Sopranos for me was I watched it nearly all back to back and because I wasn't really loving it kinda put a little dampener on it for me because there was so much to take in.

Maybe if I get to watching it 2nd time around I might like it a little more kinda like I did with Season 2 of The Wire.

Why is it a bad thing to watch Nikita while a little intoxicated?

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                        Basically I just want The Wire, again. So there's some very sound advice in there, I may do exactly that...
                                                                        If you are looking for great characters/acting/dialogue/performances/story you really can't go wrong with Friday Night Lights absolutely fucking immense Coach Taylor is the man!

"Clear eyes, Full hearts, Cant lose"

Comment

Why is it a bad thing to watch Nikita while a little intoxicated?
                                                                          I may forget what i have just watched

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                            Also, SoYouThink running in a minor group 3 at the Curagh today at 16.20

Won last years Cox plate in Oz and 3rd in the Melb. Cup - Both very tough group 1 races. After the cup Coolmore stud snapped him up. He is 1.20-1.25 or so, fill your boots
                                                                            Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            Just watched the re-run there. Looks the real deal. Prob see him up against Workforce next time out at the Curragh in the tattersalls gold cup-drool. Flat season is already better than it was last year.
                                                                            For any that missed it. Such a class horse, not enough pushing it here.
                                                                            Running at the end of the month, one to watch

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF5HttsyQ3g[/ame]
                                                                            Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                            Not sure really, I guess it would be a 'jack of all trades' type of camera. Basically we had a good SLR camera before digital cameras came around and we got great use out of it. Since then we've had any number of digital point and shoot cameras and they've all been mistreated/unused/broken or whatever. I've no doubt that if we had a proper camera in the house it would be used a lot.
                                                                            I think a Bridge camera might be a good middle ground.
                                                                            Simply like a point and shoot, but much better quality of photos.
                                                                            They have a single lens, but it comes with a much biger focal range that a standard SLR. something like 18-300 co will cover all sort of situations

Just got this PM on boards. Lucky one
                                                                            Originally posted by Daisies
                                                                            You accidently left yourself logged onto the computer in the Night Owl in Randwick. I could have done damage but I'm just too nice

Comment

I may forget what i have just watched
                                                                              Ah I get ya.

Comment

Just started watching that poker movie 'Deal', not sure how long I'll last.

Comment

Comment

Where is Dave?

Comment

Dunno.
                                                                                      Hi.

Comment

Hi

Comment

Ah I get ya.
                                                                                          I survived 2 eps, Nikita is a good watch. As is her sidekick

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTYuZLpHwD8[/ame]

Comment

just exited the €11 rebuy on stars in 57th place for a measley €124 no real beats... Final hand was my AQ vs his AK.... I flopped a Q just to give me hope but no good..

No real mistakes... lost most of my stack in a bvb war when I got all in with AK vs 66
                                                                                            Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              Ok, well first place to start is between Canon and Nikon. It's a bit Like (for want of a better example) picking between PS3 an X-box - You will always have people telling you that one is better than the other and why that is. It's also like an internet argument, no side will ever back down or win! Personally, I'm a Canon man.
                                                                                              SPOILER

Once you get over that little hurdle, I'd advise you to go into a couple of camera shops in Dublin and have a chat with them (you don't have to tell them that you're never going to buy from them ) Pick up some of the cameras and get a feel of them, how heavy are they, are they awkward to hold,can you access the controls easily while taking a picture. This may sound really obvious but you'd be amazed at how many people don't do this and then regret it afterwards - After doing this, you'll hopefully have a better idea of which camera you're swaying towards.

On the shops, there is Gunns on Wexford St, Bermingham Cameras on the quays and Conns Camera on Claredon St - I bought all my gear in Gunns and I can't recommend the place enough, lovely, honest, decent people.

If you are going for an entry level camera, the Canon 1000D/1100D or the Nikon 3000D/3100D would be a good buy. Prices will vary and not sure what kind of discount your Dad can get for wholesale but retail you are probably looking around the €450-€600 mark for the any of the above which would include the standard kit lens (which will be an 18-55mm)

On lenses, I can't give you much advice on Nikon lenses (don't have any and never have) except that for every Canon lenses, there should be something identical or very similar from Nikon.

The standard kit lens, is well, standard. It'll take ok pics but they probably won't be mind blowing but if you are not sure whether this is something that you are going to take seriously yet, it might be an idea to just go with the standard lens first to see how things go as lenses will be the most expensive part of having photography as a hobby!

If you wanted to go a bit further than the kit lens, you could go with an 18-135mm or a 'nifty fifty'. The 18-135 is about €350-€400 and there is two options for the nifty fifty (three really but presume you don't want to spend €1.5k+ for a 1.2!!!) You can get a 50mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 - You can pick up a 1.8 for about 100 quid and they are great as a portrait lens. The 1.4 is more expensive, €400+ so again I'd go with a 1.8 and then if you you really get into it, upgrade.

I think if you splash out for one of the above cameras (body only) plus 18-135mm and/or the 50mm or one of above camera plus kits lens plus 50mm it'll be a decent spend (Don't buy the kit lenses and the 18-135mm, it's one or the other) and it should give you an idea of whether you want to take the hobby further. If you do, get saving as it ain't cheap!

Below is my current set up (along with a few pics that I've taken to give you an idea of the capability of the lens) which set me back approx €2500 and already I want to upgrade the 70-200mm lens, get a really good macro lens, another portrait (probably 85mm) and a fish eye lens!

Camera - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Lenses -

Is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Is the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Using 50mm 1.4 lens

Using 70-200mm lens

I can't actually find any shots from the 18-135 at the minute, but TylerD currently has my 18-135mm lens and think he used it to take some shots of the final table at the IO this year so maybe check with him to see some pics.

That's all I can think of right now but if you want to know anything else, just ask here or drop me a PM - I've to log off in a bit but will be back on at some stage tomorrow evening.
                                                                                              Thanks very much, really informative post.

I think Dad will get a price list tomorrow and we can see whats what. For the time being though I reckon that the standard lens that comes with it will do, as you say there is no point increasing the initial cost any more than is necessary, although I would like the option to 'expand' with more lenses in the future, if it becomes a big hobby, and is the main reason I think an entry level Slr might be a better option than a 'bridge' type of camera as Mellor put it. While obviously they have their benefits, I believe they would soon feel limited if photography is something which I and others in the house start to really enjoy and take more seriously, and I believe that we will.

Thanks again for that post tho, I'll see the price list and let you know what I'm thinking.

Comment

@ Dubs, on Wednesday morning I have an interview in the US Embassy at 11, but before that I need to go to the go4less office, which is in Lower abbey Street. They open at half 9. assuming I can't be any bit late for the embassy, and I'll be about half an hour in the travel agents, how long will it take me to get from abbey street to D4, and how much time should I allow myself to get from the Limerick Road to Abbey Street, to be there at 9.30? I guess this is the height of rush hour and traffic will be pretty mad yeah?

Comment

Thanks very much, really informative post.

I think Dad will get a price list tomorrow and we can see whats what. For the time being though I reckon that the standard lens that comes with it will do, as you say there is no point increasing the initial cost any more than is necessary, although I would like the option to 'expand' with more lenses in the future, if it becomes a big hobby, and is the main reason I think an entry level Slr might be a better option than a 'bridge' type of camera as Mellor put it. While obviously they have their benefits, I believe they would soon feel limited if photography is something which I and others in the house start to really enjoy and take more seriously, and I believe that we will.

Thanks again for that post tho, I'll see the price list and let you know what I'm thinking.
                                                                                                  I would deffo go SLR. I have a Canon 450d since they came out and they were the biz at the time. But like everything else they get surpassed with new tech all the time... Still a great camera though
                                                                                                  Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Where is Dave?
                                                                                                    'sup

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                                      'sup
                                                                                                      Hi.

Comment

@ Dubs, on Wednesday morning I have an interview in the US Embassy at 11, but before that I need to go to the go4less office, which is in Lower abbey Street. They open at half 9. assuming I can't be any bit late for the embassy, and I'll be about half an hour in the travel agents, how long will it take me to get from abbey street to D4, and how much time should I allow myself to get from the Limerick Road to Abbey Street, to be there at 9.30? I guess this is the height of rush hour and traffic will be pretty mad yeah?
                                                                                                        You should be going against the traffic to the embassy.
                                                                                                        Ido.

Comment

Wolfpack in the house!!

Comment

Vintage howling.

Comment

I'd just like to take a moment to wish my friend Dwayne Johnson a happy birthday. Congratulations for being born on this day a number of years ago.

Comment

I'd just like to take a moment to wish my friend Dwayne Johnson a happy birthday. Congratulations for being born on this day a number of years ago.
                                                                                                                I had to turn it off. Pretty gay show.

Comment

I had to turn it off. Pretty gay show.
                                                                                                                  Ye it's been terrible. 'rasslin ain't what it used to be.

Comment

It was yesterday, but not in the USA where it is still today, good catch.

Comment

I run on USA USA USA time.

Comment

Vegas time? I have it on my phone.
                                                                                                                        It's 7:37pm.

Comment

I run on Vegas time most days for the week

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X