X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last 2 Speakers Of Dying Language Won't Speak To Each Other

rofl

If you've never heard anyone speaking Ayapaneco, you're not alone.

Though the language has been spoken in what is now Mexico for centuries, there are only two people left who can speak Ayapaneco fluently. Like so many other indigenous languages, it's at risk of extinction -- even more so because, as the Guardian reports, the last two speakers are refusing to talk to each other.

Though it is not clear what lies behind their mutual avoidance, Manuel Segovia, 75, and Isidro Velazquez, 69, live 500 metres apart in the village of Ayapa in the the southern state of Tabasco. The two have reportedly never enjoyed each other's company.

But now, Daniel Suslak, a linguistic anthropologist from Indiana University, is planning to produce a dictionary of Ayapaneco in an effort to revitalize the language before it is too late, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Examples of things which are beyond your control and therefore allowed, subject to PokerStars being able to corroborate with evidence, include:

1. A thunderstorm strikes your location and takes the power down for the surrounding area, so you call a friend to take over your account while you make alternative arrangements.
      2. Your child is taken ill and you have to attend hospital, so you call a friend to take over your account.
      3. You are playing in a tournament and lose internet access in your home due to a failure of your ISP. You call a friend and he takes over while you make alternative arrangements.

this rule i assume stands on most sites so theres a simple louphole

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
        It's more of a biggie than you realise, it's against the t's and c's of every single poker room. I'll edit my earlier post to delete your quote.

I presume you 'obv didn't tell them' for a reason then?
        actually they never asked.thats not my problem.he won the ticket,he played the event.there was no weird collusion or deceit ,he gained absolutly nothing from not playing his own acc.you seem to have a big issue with this?

Comment

Originally posted by liz:) View Post
          actually they never asked.thats not my problem.he won the ticket,he played the event.there was no weird collusion or deceit ,he gained absolutly nothing from not playing his own acc.you seem to have a big issue with this?
          Can't be quantified.

Comment

Examples of things which are beyond your control and therefore allowed, subject to PokerStars being able to corroborate with evidence, include:

1. A thunderstorm strikes your location and takes the power down for the surrounding area, so you call a friend to take over your account while you make alternative arrangements.
            2. Your child is taken ill and you have to attend hospital, so you call a friend to take over your account.
            3. You are playing in a tournament and lose internet access in your home due to a failure of your ISP. You call a friend and he takes over while you make alternative arrangements.

but this isnt what happened with you.
            http://mobro.co/zuroph
            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Louphole

Comment

its actually not illegal to play on someone elses acc.read the rules on most sites and theres various reasons they will allow somebody else to play your acc
                lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                  but this isnt what happened with you.
                  no it isnt.im sorry but have you a problem? you seem very miffed here,would you like my details and you can have my acc closed? do you feel cheated in some way? does my acc get given better cards than his does? what exactly is the problem here? it was a simple mistake?

Comment

lads, what are yas wearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                      lads, what are yas wearing?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        Louphole
                        So that's where the werewolves have been hiding!
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

no it isnt.im sorry but have you a problem? you seem very miffed here,would you like my details and you can have my acc closed? do you feel cheated in some way? does my acc get given better cards than his does? what exactly is the problem here? it was a simple mistake?
                          the problem is some people helpfully advised you that it wasnt a good idea to brag about it online, and gave an example to help illustrate the point, and instead of taking their good advice on board, you continued to post more about it. People here are just trying to help you liz, not attack you. PP could see this tomorrow and shut your account and your BFs and be perfectly justified to do so, as you openly admit to lying to them about who played.
                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

it was auto log in and he was in a rush to reg for the sat and didnt realise til the table opened that it was my acc,no biggie really
                            Does not compute.

After all the replies you've had you should be realising by now that you might perhaps be misinformed on this particular matter.
                            We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                              the problem is some people helpfully advised you that it wasnt a good idea to brag about it online, and gave an example to help illustrate the point, and instead of taking their good advice on board, you continued to post more about it. People here are just trying to help you liz, not attack you. PP could see this tomorrow and shut your account and your BFs and be perfectly justified to do so, as you openly admit to lying to them about who played.
                              i didnt lie.nor did i brag,i used an example to a question that was asked,i took peoples advice and removed the post and yet am still met with hostility.

Comment

Heaven forbid a drooler of a bird would admit when shes wrong

Comment

I'm a big fan of Leonard Cohen, his songs are poems put to music. One song in particular has always intrigued me. 'The Guests'. The beauty I find in listening to Cohen's music is in trying to interpret his songs, trying to figure out what was in his head. I've read many different interpretations of 'The Guests' online but here's my read on what it means. Here's the song first of all...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fhhOZNYCY[/ame]

And the lyrics...

One by one, the guests arrive
                                  The guests are coming through
                                  The open-hearted many
                                  The broken-hearted few
                                  And no one knows where the night is going
                                  And no one knows why the wine is flowing
                                  Oh love I need you
                                  I need you
                                  I need you
                                  I need you
                                  Oh . . . I need you now
                                  And those who dance, begin to dance
                                  Those who weep begin
                                  And "Welcome, welcome" cries a voice
                                  "Let all my guests come in."
                                  And no one knows where the night is going ...
                                  And all go stumbling through that house
                                  in lonely secrecy
                                  Saying "Do reveal yourself"
                                  or "Why has thou forsaken me?"
                                  All at once the torches flare
                                  The inner door flies open
                                  One by one they enter there
                                  In every style of passion
                                  And here they take their sweet repast
                                  While house and grounds dissolve
                                  And one by one the guests are cast
                                  Beyond the garden wall
                                  Those who dance, begin to dance
                                  Those who weep begin
                                  Those who earnestly are lost
                                  Are lost and lost again
                                  One by one the guests arrive
                                  The guests are coming through
                                  The broken-hearted many
                                  The open-hearted few
                                  I think it's a tragic love story, set in a holocaust death camp on the naked march to the gas chamber. They were separated from loved ones and ordered to strip and march to the 'shower room'.
                                  The open-hearted many
                                  The broken-hearted few
                                  And no one knows where the night is going
                                  And no one knows why the wine is flowing
                                  The 'flowing wine' is a metaphor for the lifted mood the break in monotony brings. The main protagonist however is one of the broken hearted few, separated from his wife, he fears what's about to happen.

"Welcome, welcome" cries a voice
                                  "Let all my guests come in."
                                  Spoken by the Nazi guard... to the open hearted many it's a warm voice, to the broken hearted few it's menacing.

Saying "Do reveal yourself"
                                  or "Why has thou forsaken me?"
                                  The nervous positivity of the many and the anguish of the few.

All at once the torches flare,
                                  The inner door flies open
                                  One by one they enter there
                                  In every style of passion
                                  Confusion, optimism, fear, bewilderment, spreading panic, they enter with every style of passion, while the protagonist knows he's entering hell... 'oh love I need you, I need you, I need you now'

And here they take their sweet repast
                                  While house and grounds dissolve
                                  And one by one the guests are cast
                                  Beyond the garden wall
                                  Death is their sweet repast, one by one they fall.

The broken-hearted many
                                  The open-hearted few
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                    Heaven forbid a drooler of a bird would admit when shes wrong
                                    i have never once had a conversation with you without arguing so im going to politely tell you to leave me alone because i always come out the c@*t where your involved

Comment

hahaha
                                      PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

UTG ($23.10)
                                      MP ($237.60)
                                      Hero (CO) ($62.50)
                                      Button ($90.95)
                                      SB ($105.05)
                                      BB ($44.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, 4, 5, 7
                                      UTG bets $1, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.50, Button calls $1.50, SB calls $1.25, BB raises to $2, UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $3, Button calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50, BB raises to $17.60, UTG calls $15.60, Hero calls $14.60, Button raises to $90.85 (All-In), 1 fold, BB calls $26.70 (All-In), UTG calls $5.40 (All-In), Hero calls $44.80 (All-In)

Flop: ($195.70) 4, K, 7 (4 players, 4 all-in)

Turn: ($195.70) 10 (4 players, 4 all-in)

River: ($195.70) 4 (4 players, 4 all-in)

Total pot: $195.70 | Rake: $3
                                      Main pot: $95.60 between UTG, Hero, Button and BB, won by Hero
                                      Side pot 1: $63.90 between Hero, Button and BB, won by Hero
                                      Side pot 2: $36.20 between Hero and Button, won by Hero

Results:
                                      Button had A, 9, 10, 2 (two pair, tens and fours).
                                      BB had Q, 8, 9, 8 (two pair, eights and fours).
                                      UTG had 7, J, 6, 8 (two pair, sevens and fours).
                                      Hero had 9, 4, 5, 7 (full house, fours over sevens).
                                      Outcome: Hero won $192.70

Comment

i didnt lie.nor did i brag,i used an example to a question that was asked,i took peoples advice and removed the post and yet am still met with hostility.
                                        You're not being met with hostility (apart from Sickpuppy's insulting post above, but ignore him). You're just being repeatedly told that you're wrong. You know why? Because you're wrong. Stop taking it as a personal insult.
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          I'm a big fan of Leonard Cohen, his songs are poems put to music. One song in particular has always intrigued me. 'The Guests'. The beauty I find in listening to Cohen's music is in trying to interpret his songs, trying to figure out what was in his head. I've read many different interpretations of 'The Guests' online but here's my read on what it means. Here's the song first of all...

The guests - Leonard CohenFoto di Henri Cartier BressonBresson nacque a Chanteloup il 22 Agosto 1908 e morì a L'Isle sur la Sorgue il 3 Agosto 2004.Tranne b...

And the lyrics...

I think it's a tragic love story, set in a holocaust death camp on the naked march to the gas chamber. They were separated from loved ones and ordered to strip and march to the 'shower room'.

The 'flowing wine' is a metaphor for the lifted mood the break in monotony brings. The main protagonist however is one of the broken hearted few, separated from his wife, he fears what's about to happen.

Spoken by the Nazi guard... to the open hearted many it's a warm voice, to the broken hearted few it's menacing.

Confusion, optimism, fear, bewilderment, spreading panic, they enter with every style of passion, while the protagonist knows he's entering hell... 'oh love I need you, I need you, I need you now'

Nice mood lightner dude !!

edit:mode ? its me thats on the wine...lol
                                          Last edited by oleras; 15-04-11, 00:26.
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                            You're not being met with hostility (apart from Sickpuppy's insulting post above, but ignore him). You're just being repeatedly told that you're wrong. You know why? Because you're wrong. Stop taking it as a personal insult.
                                            im not saying im not wrong! i just said the situation and told you the reason for the situation .it was obv wrong for it to happen but it was a genuine mistake and i feel maybe people think it was done on purpose or something?!

Comment

i have never once had a conversation with you without arguing so im going to politely tell you to leave me alone because i always come out the c@*t where your involved
                                              No problem but please dont make it sound like im following you

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                It has to be the wine...
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                  It has to be the wine...
                                                  i dont even drink really,except on occasion

Comment

im not saying im not wrong! i just said the situation and told you the reason for the situation .it was obv wrong for it to happen but it was a genuine mistake and i feel maybe people think it was done on purpose or something?!
                                                    nobody cares about why it happened, just advising you on why it shouldnt be posted about.
                                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

The guests - Leonard CohenFoto di Henri Cartier BressonBresson nacque a Chanteloup il 22 Agosto 1908 e morì a L'Isle sur la Sorgue il 3 Agosto 2004.Tranne b...

And the lyrics...

Dya like Phil Collins?

Comment

Fair enough. Take my word for it when I say that if you're found multiaccounting, no matter the circumstances, you will be banned by pretty much every poker site out there. It's got nothing to do with our opinions of the circumstances involved. Thems are the rules and the poker sites enforce them brutally.

Comment

will whoever does laptop spring cleaning pm please with rates and stuff

living in leixlip so whoever is closest

thanks

Comment

i dont even drink really,except on occasion
                                                            Is tonight an occasion?...has MSN been breathing on you by any chance ?

Only yanking your chain Liz, no harm intended, but the lads are right, forget the ins and out, legalities and whatever, 1 player 1 account, simples, and if it happens by mistake just let it be, simples really.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

No problem but please dont make it sound like im following you
                                                              it actually wouldnt surprise me.you seem to pop up everywhere i post with some retarded comment about what im talking about.doesnt really bother me anymore,kinda feel sorry for you that you can never find anything good to say
                                                              meh,maybe your just sad

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post

thanks
                                                                Zod is 30, DP is 25, ill do it for 20...

Zod is your go to guy here i think, although i am sure he would be kind enough to throw a practical together in the tech forum.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Is tonight an occasion?...has MSN been breathing on you by any chance ?

Only yanking your chain Liz, no harm intended, but the lads are right, forget the ins and out, legalities and whatever, 1 player 1 account, simples, and if it happens by mistake just let it be, simples really.
                                                                  nah her hubby is home so hel be getting the snm sorry meant msn treatment tonight

Comment

it actually wouldnt surprise me.you seem to pop up everywhere i post with some retarded comment about what im talking about.doesnt really bother me anymore,kinda feel sorry for you that you can never find anything good to say
                                                                    meh,maybe your just sad
                                                                    Bi polar and scitzo
                                                                    you ask me to stop talking to you etc but then make comment on my feelings and moods im so hurt
                                                                    i find good things to say when appropriate so if you dont want me talking shyte be a good girl and zip it and that will be the end of it.

Comment

im not saying im not wrong!
                                                                      Two negatives always make a positive, but two positives never make a negative.

SPOILER
                                                                      Yeah right

Comment

nah her hubby is home so hel be getting the snm sorry meant msn treatment tonight
                                                                        Thats why she is not on, it clicks !!

Proably counting up all the contraband cigs again...lol

Speaking of s&m...you got a cam ??
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post

thanks
                                                                          Have you ever filmed yourself masturbating?

Comment

Bi polar and scitzo
                                                                            you ask me to stop talking to you etc but then make comment on my feelings and moods im so hurt
                                                                            i find good things to say when appropriate so if you dont want me talking shyte be a good girl and zip it and that will be the end of it.
                                                                            you are actually the biggest ape i have ever come across in my life and you annoy the shit out of me!

Comment

meh,maybe your just sad
                                                                              Bi polar and scitzo
                                                                              Please just lay off it will ye?

Also, there is an ignore option for whoever wants to use it. Just click on a persons username, and choose ignore poster, and you won't see their posts any more.

Comment

you are actually the biggest ape i have ever come across in my life and you annoy the shit out of me!
                                                                                You came on an ape?

Comment

You came on an ape?
                                                                                  Came across dude...squirter obv !!
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

You came on an ape?
                                                                                    i said across lol

Comment

Its been a while !!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_zsuP2owk[/ame]
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

ahhh oleras my old pal how's it going?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Love this version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxP0qS30tRg[/ame]
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                            ahhh oleras my old pal how's it going?
                                                                                            Going good my friend, going good.

Looks like i have to head to blaah country next week, near imposible for someone in the limerick/clare/tipp area to provide IBT (Initial Basic Training) within the next month, guy from the other place, roadskills.ie was able to fit me in with the shift work for next thur and the following tue to complete it, bike was delived to me today and is sitting in the garage and i want to ride it !!
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

<------------------------------

cheers for that
                                                                                              48

Comment

Zod is 30, DP is 25, ill do it for 20...
                                                                                                Sounds like a services price list from a very inexpensive escort.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                Please just lay off it will ye?

Also, there is an ignore option for whoever wants to use it. Just click on a persons username, and choose ignore poster, and you won't see their posts any more.
                                                                                                Ah come on Dom a Sickpuppy Liz spat could be epic.

Comment

What the fuck is a Zod!?!
                                                                                                  Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Ah come on Dom a Sickpuppy Liz spat could be epic.
                                                                                                    Yeah, boo Dom

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                                                      €2 in Ethiopian money

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                                                        Beard rash !!....some people pay more for that !
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Yeah, boo Dom
                                                                                                          To be fair lifes finite wasting anymore time arguing with someone with the brains of alobotomised sheep would be a waste.

Im going to sign off with a whimper not a bang and try to spend my time more productively then arguing with people.

Looking to join the priesthood permanent pensionable job and where not been able to score with women is seen as a plus

Goodnight and goodluck.

Comment

LMFAO
                                                                                                            this is brilliant

The last few speakers of a dying Mexican language don't get on and refuse to speak

Last two speakers of dying language refuse to speak to each otherYahoo!7

There are only two people who are familiar with the Ayapaneco language in Mexico.

Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquezto live less than a kilometre apart in Ayapa village in southern Mexico but according to the Daily Mail, they don't get on.

Those close to the men aren't sure what the conflict is about.

They're the last two speakers of this remote language but they refuse to discuss how best to preserve their dying language.

The Ayapaneco language managed to survive the Spanish conquest however it has suffered due to compulsory Spanish education in Mexico. For several decades indigenous children were forbidden from speaking anything other than Spanish.

Since the 1970s, people started moving away which further diluted the knowledge base.

According to 75-year-old Mr Segovia, 'When I was a boy everybody spoke it. It's disappeared little by little and now I suppose it might die with me.'

Although he still speaks to his wife and son in his native tongue, they understand what he's saying but they can't speak back.

It is not believed that 69-year-old Mr Velazquez converses his native tongue at all any more.

Fortunately all is not lost. Daniel Suslak, an Indiana University linguistic anthropologist, is compiling a dictionary to record the existence of the language.

He spoke to both men about their language and found out they 'don't have much in common'. Apparently Mr Segovia is 'a little prickly' while Mr Velaquez prefers to stay at home and is 'more stoic'.

It is believed there are 6,000 languages in the world and of those around half are expected to disappear over the next century.

Comment

Depends, had a friend call around this evening who spent last week in thailand...got to get my ass over there, gona use the divorce money cos thats the only way i would be allowed i think...lol

It must be his 4th or 5th time there, lucky single cunt.
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                LMFAO
                                                                                                                this is brilliant

The last few speakers of a dying Mexican language don't get on and refuse to speak

http://au.news.yahoo.com/amazing-sto...to-each-other/
                                                                                                                Rigger, the owner of the internet got there before you.

Great story though.

Comment

LMFAO
                                                                                                                  this is brilliant

http://au.news.yahoo.com/amazing-sto...to-each-other/
                                                                                                                  It is. I posted it a few hours ago because I am brilliant.

Comment

You can see how many times each lotto number has appeared in the Irish lotto since it began.

Comment

Fecking timezones

i'll have my revenge Sometime Rigger Happy Dude

Comment

Scientists create human Kidneys from stem cells

TELEGRAPH: The artificial organs were created in a laboratory using human amniotic fluid and animal foetal cells.
                                                                                                                        They are currently half a centimetre in length – the same size as kidneys found in an unborn baby.
                                                                                                                        Scientists at Edinburgh University hope they will grow into full-size organs when transplanted into a human.
                                                                                                                        The breakthrough could lead to patients creating their own replacement organs without the risk of rejection, a common complication in transplant procedures.
                                                                                                                        Physiologist Jamie Davies, a professor of experimental anatomy at Edinburgh University, said: ”It sounds a bit science fiction-like but it’s not.
                                                                                                                        ”The idea is to start with human stem cells and end up with a functioning organ.
                                                                                                                        ”We have made pretty good progress with that. We can make something that has the complexity of a normal, foetal kidney.”
                                                                                                                        The research team hope that doctors will eventually be able to collect amniotic fluid, which surrounds the growing embryo in the womb, when a baby is born.
                                                                                                                        This will then be stored by scientists in case that person develops kidney disease later in life. The fluid can then be used to create a matching kidney.
                                                                                                                        Creating an organ using a patient’s own stem cells solves the problem of having to use powerful immunosuppressant drugs to stop the body rejecting a another person’s kidney.
                                                                                                                        Professor Davies said the technology could be ready for use on humans in around 10 years.
                                                                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Fecking timezones

i'll have my revenge Sometime Rigger Happy Dude
                                                                                                                          no you won't!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X