This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    I essentially live in the middle of the "Phoenix Park" of Edinburgh, except there's no knackers, hookers or serial killers.
    where's that Emmet, hardly the big bit in the middle between the New Town and The Old Town?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There's a Ted Talk by Sam Harris about whether or not science can answer moral questions.

He speaks a bit about banning burkas and whether or not imposing a ban is any worse than forcing people to wear them and that sort of thing.

He makes some very valid points about whether or not Muslim women who claim they wear them by choice really have a choice at all, whether it's right to let someone carry on in their delusion whether they choose it or not etc.

It's worth a look if you're interested in the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        where's that Emmet, hardly the big bit in the middle between the New Town and The Old Town?
        "The Meadows"

Marchmount / Tollcross area

The green bit at the bottom of the screen. Its a free public "short golf" course too.
        SPOILER
        Last edited by Emmet; 11-04-11, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
          balaclavas are banned as well. All it really is, is a law stating that people need to be identifiable at all times in public places in normal situations.
          The text makes no mention of Islam, but it is widely accepted that President Nicolas Sarkozy’s government promoted the law as a means to -protect- women from being forced to wear Muslim full-face veils such as the burka or the niqab.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            The text makes no mention of Islam, but it is widely accepted that President Nicolas Sarkozy’s government promoted the law as a means to -protect- women from being forced to wear Muslim full-face veils such as the burka or the niqab.
            in fairness they have also banned Sikh turbans, Christian crucifixes and Jewish skullcaps

France has a proud secular tradition. Their attitude seems to be 'like it or fuck off'.

Comment

in fairness they have also banned Sikh turbans, Christian crucifixes and Jewish skullcaps

France has a proud secular tradition. Their attitude seems to be 'like it or fuck off'.

i like there attitude tbh

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                There's a Ted Talk by Sam Harris about whether or not science can answer moral questions.

He speaks a bit about banning burkas and whether or not imposing a ban is any worse than forcing people to wear them and that sort of thing.

He makes some very valid points about whether or not Muslim women who claim they wear them by choice really have a choice at all, whether it's right to let someone carry on in their delusion whether they choose it or not etc.

It's worth a look if you're interested in the topic.
                Found it on youtube as well, the bit about burkas etc. starts around ten minutes in...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww[/ame]

Comment

Did you know that : Jamican women use fake Anti-Tan to appeal to men.

Skin bleaching a growing problem in Jamaica slums

KINGSTON, Jamaica – Mikeisha Simpson covers her body in greasy white cream and bundles up in a track suit to avoid the fierce sun of her native Jamaica, but she's not worried about skin cancer.

The 23-year-old resident of a Kingston ghetto hopes to transform her dark complexion to a cafe-au-lait-color common among Jamaica's elite and favored by many men in her neighborhood. She believes a fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

Simpson and her friends ultimately shrug off public health campaigns and reggae hits blasting the reckless practice.

"I hear the people that say bleaching is bad, but I'll still do it. I won't stop 'cause I like it and I know how to do it safe," said Simpson, her young daughter bouncing on her hip.

People around the world often try to alter their skin color, using tanning salons or dyes to darken it or other chemicals to lighten it. In the gritty slums of Jamaica, doctors say the skin lightening phenomenon has reached dangerous proportions.

"I know of one woman who started to bleach her baby. She got very annoyed with me when I told her to stop immediately, and she left my office. I often wonder what became of that baby," said Neil Persadsingh, a leading Jamaican dermatologist.

Most Jamaican bleachers use over-the-counter creams, many of them knockoffs imported from West Africa. Long-term use of one of the ingredients, hydroquinone, has long been linked to a disfiguring condition called ochronosis that causes a splotchy darkening of the skin. Doctors say abuse of bleaching lotions has also left a web of stretch marks across some Jamaicans' faces.

In Japan, the European Union, and Australia, hydroquinone has been removed from over-the-counter skin products and substituted with other chemicals due to concerns about health risks. In the U.S., over-the-counter creams containing up to 2 percent hydroquinone are recognized as safe and effective by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. A proposed ban by the FDA in 2006 fizzled.

Lightening creams are not effectively regulated in Jamaica, where even roadside vendors sell tubes and plastic bags of powders and ointments from cardboard boxes stacked along sidewalks in market districts.

"Many of the tubes are unlabeled as to their actual ingredients," said Dr. Richard Desnoes, president of the Dermatology Association of Jamaica.

Hardcore bleachers use illegal ointments smuggled into the Caribbean country that contain toxins like mercury, a metal that blocks production of melanin, which give skin its color, but can also be toxic.

Some impoverished people resort to homemade mixtures of toothpaste or curry powder, which can stain skin with a yellowish tint.

The Jamaican Ministry of Health does not have data on damage caused by skin-bleaching agents, though dermatologists and other health officials say they have been seeing more cases.

Eva Lewis-Fuller, the ministry's director of health promotion and protection, is redoubling education programs to combat bleaching in this predominantly black island of 2.8 million people, where images of fair-skinned people predominate in commercials for high-end products and in the social pages of newspapers.

"Bleaching has gotten far worse and widespread in recent years," she said. "(Bleachers) want to be accepted within their circle of society. They want to be attractive to the opposite sex. They want career opportunities. But we are saying there are side effects and risks. It can disfigure your face."

Health officials are running warnings on local radio stations, putting up posters in schools, holding talks and handing out literature about the dangers. But a similar anti-bleaching campaign in 2007 called "Don't Kill the Skin" did nothing to slow the craze.

The bleaching trend is sparking a growing public debate. Even dancehall reggae hits celebrate the practice, or condemn it.

The most public proponent of bleaching is singing star Vybz Kartel, whose own complexion has dramatically lightened in recent years. His 'Look Pon Me' contains the lines: "Di girl dem love off mi brown cute face, di girl dem love off mi bleach-out face."

Kartel, whose real name is Adijah Palmer, insists that skin bleaching is simply a personal choice like tattooing.

Christopher A.D. Charles, an assistant professor at Monroe College in New York City who has studied the psychology of bleaching, said many young Jamaicans perceive it "as a modern thing, like Botox, to fashion their own body in a unique way."

Others, however, say it raises awkward questions about identity and race.

"If we really want to control the spread of the skin-bleaching virus, we first have to admit that there's an epidemic of color prejudice in our society," said Carolyn Cooper, a professor of literary and cultural studies at the University of the West Indies, writing in The Jamaica Gleaner newspaper.

Felicia James, a 20-year-old resident of the Matthews Lane slum, said skin bleaching just makes her feel special, like she's walking around in a spotlight. She was taught to bleach by her older sister and her friends.

"It's just the fashionable thing to do. After I bleach, I'm cris," she said, using a Jamaican term for cool. "Plus, a lot of the boys are doing it now, too."

Comment

France has a proud secular tradition. Their attitude seems to be \'like it or fuck off\'.
                    Totally different issue. The open wearing of religious icons and garments has been banned in French schools since 2004. It is forbidden for pupils, teachers and parents at school to wear veils, whether full or not, the Jewish kippa skullcap, large Christian crosses and Sikh turbans.

Sikh turbans, Christian crucifixes and Jewish skullcaps are not banned in public or covered by the laws that have just come in AFAIK.

Comment

that sort of stuff gets massive sales in Africa too

Comment

Their attitude seems to be 'like it or fuck off'.
                        The way it should be too.

Comment

it's actually a huge issue in a lot of western african countries, as these girls will use anything they can get their hands on to bleach their skin. it's been going on for a long time and the effects of the products they are using can be disastrous.

Comment

are there any charges on that paddypower cash card?

Comment

The sikh/skullcap/crucifix is for state run buildings and schools. The burqa ban is in public.

They are trying to nominitavely promote one equality (women's rights) at the cost of another (religious freedom).

In reality, the whole thing is Sarkozy playing politics with the FN's voterbase. French officials put the figure of hijab wearing french muslims at around 2000 (french muslim population is about 5 million)

The police themselves think the law is uninforcable. The whole thing is Sarkozy trying to keep favour with disillusioned voters and picking an easy target.
                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                are there any charges on that paddypower cash card?
                                No but it's crap. I wanted to withdraw cash from them a month ago, so I got this card. I've twice used it, and I was only allowed to withdraw 50%, 80% and 40% of my balance each time.

I've now binned it and will just use moneybookers.

Comment

This sort of thing is typical. Ever notice how Bollywood stars are all a bit plump and pale? In third world countries someone who is a bit overweight and has pale skin probably has a lifestyle that allows them to sit around indoors a lot, meaning they are not struggling to find their next meal, don't have to work hard for a living, and are therefore considered better candidates for mating than the average person.

Conversely, western societies prize tans, slimming and fitness because this represents a healthy, outdoor lifestyle that most of us don't have. The same mating instincts apply from the other direction, reflecting itself in our cultural icons of virility being (in general) skinny, tanned and well muscled.
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                    No but it's crap. I wanted to withdraw cash from them a month ago, so I got this card. I've twice used it, and I was only allowed to withdraw 50%, 80% and 40% of my balance each time.

I've now binned it and will just use moneybookers.
                                    Ok yeah, just saw it said something like max 500 + some weird withdrawal rules if you didn't put money in with cash.

Why not withdraw to your bank acc?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      Ok yeah, just saw it said something like max 500 + some weird withdrawal rules if you didn't put money in with cash.

Why not withdraw to your bank acc?
                                      Yeah it seems they make up a different rule each time. I try not to have payments direct from PP etc to the Bank a/c, I like to go via moneybookers. Not sure it will make any difference in the long run tho. Plus moneybookers is very handy for transferring between accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                        This sort of thing is typical. Ever notice how Bollywood stars are all a bit plump and pale? In third world countries someone who is a bit overweight and has pale skin probably has a lifestyle that allows them to sit around indoors a lot, meaning they are not struggling to find their next meal, don't have to work hard for a living, and are therefore considered better candidates for mating than the average person.

Conversely, western societies prize tans, slimming and fitness because this represents a healthy, outdoor lifestyle that most of us don't have. The same mating instincts apply from the other direction, reflecting itself in our cultural icons of virility being (in general) skinny, tanned and well muscled.

What happens to the short fat pale but slightly dirty looking people?

Where will they find admiration?

Comment

Just in case some of ye didn't venture in the Golf Betting thread over the weekend, here were some classic posts by Lazare. Got a real LMAO out of them this morning.

Sorry Lazare.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Got on Rory an hour ago @ 10/1 and Schwartzel @ 50/1 e/w

I have Tiger @ 10/1 since Thurs

All e/w
                                          Paddy Power, about an hour and a half ago. I nearly shat myself when I saw it.
                                          Oh massive facepalm, I've backed them to win the open. I thought I was on the live betting page on the iphone app.

LOL

Comment

no filming in paris for the rubberbandits then
                                            http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

What happens to the short fat pale but slightly dirty looking people?

Where will they find admiration?
                                              poker, obv.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwghabw4N80[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                  Just in case some of ye didn't venture in the Golf Betting thread over the weekend, here were some classic posts by Lazare. Got a real LMAO out of them this morning.

Sorry Lazare.
                                                  Bet is still live though
                                                  Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Horribly quiet in here today, something amiss?

Weather here is fucking unreal for April. Someone left the heating on far too long. Living right beside the meadows is making studying tough though. So many people just lounging with cans and instant barbeques.

I essentially live in the middle of the "Phoenix Park" of Edinburgh, except there's no knackers, hookers or serial killers.
                                                    A good friend of mine did all her studies in Edinburgh and a few of us would be over to visit a few times a year. She lived by the Meadows for a couple of years and it was a cool place to be. Infact, Edinburgh is a great city full stop if you're young imo.
                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Pretty cool

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j36Erxd5rc&feature=feedwll&list=WL[/ame]
                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                        I've got golf fever, any good par 3 courses left around Dublin? I'll hate the game again if I play on a normal course.
                                                        Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                        I can save you time and effort.

Golf is shit. go play Pitch and Putt.
                                                        Not sure if it's still going, but i used to play on a great Par 3 course in Swords, can't think of the name tho.

For pitch and putt, the Brock Inn course on the Ashbourne Road is top notch, but years since i played there too

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                          Edinburgh is a great city full stop if you're young imo.
                                                          pretty damn cold though

Comment

Is someone playing a particularly sick joke on me?
                                                            RogerEbert tweeted this a while ago
                                                            ebertchicago Roger Ebert
                                                            Like I was sayin'. Helen Mirren's breasts are the answer to everything. http://bit.ly/g12rFh
                                                            but when I click on the [URL="http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/funny/helen-mirrens-breasts-are-the.html"]link [/URL ]there is a blank black flash object on the page that does nothing
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Its funny but fake

Comment

She's 65.
                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                  Very cool but had to watch on mute..
                                                                  Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Has anyone tried accessing betfair from the US? Would it work with Tor & Mgeni?

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                      She's 65.
                                                                      Too young for him?

Comment

Comment

Yesterday morning I was in a Tescos there were two women in Muslim regalia , not with the face covered but with the Nun style veils, Egyptians I think. Also in the same aisle there was a young woman with a toddler probably in her late 20's who ...well, either she forgot to put a skirt on or I don't know what she was thinking. She was just wearing a pair of tights and a dental floss type thong. Very disconcerting and much more upsetting to my delicate psyche at 9AM of a Sunday Morning than the hejab.

I did think of getting a pic for all the BBV pervs but the place was almost empty and I'd never have got away with it.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AI-KntvOI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                                            We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              Yesterday morning I was in a Tescos there were two women in Muslim regalia , not with the face covered but with the Nun style veils, Egyptians I think. Also in the same aisle there was a young woman with a toddler probably in her late 20's who ...well, either she forgot to put a skirt on or I don't know what she was thinking. She was just wearing a pair of tights and a dental floss type thong. Very disconcerting and much more upsetting to my delicate psyche at 9AM of a Sunday Morning than the hejab.

I did think of getting a pic for all the BBV pervs but the place was almost empty and I'd never have got away with it.
                                                                              The bbv is not overly concerned with whether you get away with it or not.

Comment

obviously without the picks

just GTFO!!!!

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOuW9odA9hA[/ame]

Comment

Grow-houses right in the middle of town. Nice work boys.

Gardaí find cannabis valued at €1.5m in weekend raids

GARDAÍ DISCOVERED cannabis-growing houses in three counties and seized cannabis plants and herbs valued at more than €1.5 million at the weekend.

One of the crops was among the largest gardaí have ever found.

The grow houses, all described as sophisticated operations, were discovered in counties Tipperary, Mayo and Westmeath.

The biggest find was made in Co Tipperary, where more than 1,500 cannabis plants were discovered.

A quantity of cannabis herb – dried cannabis plants prepared for smoking – was also found.

The haul has an estimated street valued of €900,000.

The find was made in premises on Main Street in the village of Borrisokane on Saturday morning during a planned Garda search.

Rows of plants were found growing in rooms that had been carefully converted for the purpose.

High wattage lights had been installed to create the bright light and heat needed to grow the plants.

The crop was being fed by a network of tubes pumping water and plant feed into hundreds of plant pots.

The gang behind the operation had installed a ventilation system to remove the pungent smell caused when cannabis is cultivated in an intense growing environment.

The gang set aside parts of the premises as potting and incubation rooms to bring on saplings cut from a maturing crop.

In an unrelated operation, 1,000 cannabis plants were found growing in premises on The Square, Swinford, Co Mayo, on Friday night.

The plants, with an estimated street value of about €400,000, were found in several rooms throughout the property.

The building had been fitted out with advanced growing equipment.

The intelligence-led search operation involved gardaí from Claremorris and Swinford aided by the armed Regional Support Unit. Another similar growing operation was found in Mullingar, Co Westmeath, also on Friday. The premises raided had been converted into what gardaí described as a “cannabis factory” capable of growing a large number of cannabis plants.

The value of the plants seized is believed to run into several hundred thousand euro.

No arrests were made in any of the search operations but investigations are continuing.

Comment

it's a bit like The Hardy Bucks, except real life

surreal

Comment

Open your camera and then put the phone to your ear pretending you are on a call and take the pic as you are walking by her, its a sneaky perv move i learned.
                                                                                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

it's a bit like The Hardy Bucks, except real life

surreal
                                                                                          Hardybucks was all filmed in Swinford as well.

Comment

Kevin O'Brien-esque form here

185 out of 232, not bad going

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                              Hardybucks was all filmed in Swinford as well.
                                                                                              I know, hence the comment

sure everyone outside the M50 is stone hammer mad Ted

Comment

Following this old facebook thing out of bordom...

‎1 - Go to wikipedia and hit random. The first random wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

2 - Go to quotationspage.com and hit random. The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.

3 - Go to flickr and click on “explore the last seven days” Third picture, no matter what ...it is, will be your album cover.

4 - Use photoshop or similar (gimp) to put it all together.

5 - Post it with this text in the "caption".

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                                                  Open your camera and then put the phone to your ear pretending you are on a call and take the pic as you are walking by her, its a sneaky perv move i learned.
                                                                                                  Just make sure u have the flash off

Comment

There's a girl in college that looks like a cartoon, really absurd fake tan, luminous teeth, dyed black hair, and bright red lipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                      Grow-houses right in the middle of town. Nice work boys.
                                                                                                      They've hit a bunch of those places recently, how do they find them?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                        Thermal imaging from helicoptor/plane fly over will do the job. Also crazy ESB power draw.
                                                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                          Not sure if it's still going, but i used to play on a great Par 3 course in Swords, can't think of the name tho.

For pitch and putt, the Brock Inn course on the Ashbourne Road is top notch, but years since i played there too
                                                                                                          Played that Brock Inn course last year with my brother and thought it was really good (to put my golfing experience into context though, I've played pitch-n-putt about 6 times in my life, and a par-three course once) - my brother is quite a good golfer and he seemed to enjoy it too. The Brock Inn does a quality Sunday carvery as well, mmmmmm good!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                            Looking out for Vietnamese people with massive ESB Bills seems to be working for them.

Comment

This is pretty lol. The guy reminds me so much of The Situation which is a bonus

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjw3OQ3iGQ&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

OK done for $50

so he has to either die or leave Libya by 4.30pm on the 11th April for you to scoop? One time, eh, dealer

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                  Played that Brock Inn course last year with my brother and thought it was really good (to put my golfing experience into context though, I've played pitch-n-putt about 6 times in my life, and a par-three course once) - my brother is quite a good golfer and he seemed to enjoy it too. The Brock Inn does a quality Sunday carvery as well, mmmmmm good!
                                                                                                                  Yeah we used to go down every Sunday, play the course and have some grub and a couple of pints. Really enjoyable on all fronts. It's probably the best pitch and putt course i've played on (i've only played about 10 different courses)

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                                    Thermal imaging from helicoptor/plane fly over will do the job. Also crazy ESB power draw.
                                                                                                                    ESB/someone snitching is far more likely. doubt very much the garda helicopter is flying around small towns in offaly looking for canabis growers.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                                      Doubt there is a budget for random thermal imaging fly-over\'s or warrants for monitoring irregular ESB usage.
                                                                                                                      Wouldn\'t be Major CSI stuff.
                                                                                                                      More like dumb growers (houses in middle of busy towns, smells, plants in view etc), funny comings and goings, loose talk etc.

Comment

How did you manage to make that bet? I would have taken the overs on any longevity bet involving the colonel.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                          ESB/someone snitching is far more likely. doubt very much the garda helicopter is flying around small towns in offaly looking for canabis growers.
                                                                                                                          thinking about this and Brian_Byrne's unfortunate situation some more, it occurs to me that he should investigate the contents of his housemate's bedrooms rather closely

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X