Originally posted by Keane View Post

Solid party I'd say, wish I could remember some of it
    Any order would do me !!

What party was it?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
      Any order would do me !!

What party was it?
      It was the Classic in Cork celebrating their fifth birthday.

There was a ton of free booze cos I was with a former staff member. The last thing I remember reliably is doing shots of tequila in the toilets for some unknown reason

Comment

The last thing I remember reliably is doing shots of tequila in the toilets for some unknown reason
        things never to do in toilets of public houses:
        1. accept 'drinks'
        2. talk to anybody
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There was a ton of free booze cos I was with a former staff member. The last thing I remember reliably is doing shots of tequila in the toilets for some unknown reason
          For some strange reason I thought it was Tony Fenton's 50th and I was wondering how the fuck you managed to get an invite

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
            send it5 to me and I'll exchange it for goods and services.
            You'll get more goods and services for your $ from me
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              things never to do in toilets of public houses:
              1. accept 'drinks'
              2. talk to anybody
              I can confirm the shots were brought - again for some unknown reason - from the bar down to the jacks and so were largely urine-free.

Talking to people in the jacks is a risky one, it can pay off with incredible and rare meeting of minds under the right circumstances.

Like I had a good time calling some droolers droolers to some other chap when they were complaining about the quality of the free beer when they were plainly the checked-shirt wearing types that think Budweiser is lovely stuff.

Comment

Yeah "tequilla"

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Just booked a J1 for the summer, off to Chicago! Can't wait; at the time I regretted not going last year but I think looking back I was right to wait until I was 21.

Heading off to Chicago for around 10 weeks where hopefully I'll be able to get some work, and then in mid August I'm going to Vegas, San Francisco and New York before coming back home. I've saved up a good bit for it so all the flights are paid for before I go and have a good few $$$ left so hopefully it will be class. I booked the flights with one other lad, but I know a load of people heading to Chicago this summer too.

Any recommendations/advice/ideas? I've only booked the transatlantic flights at this stage; I'll try to have all the internal flights booked before I go too though (Southwest FTW).

Also while on the topic, what would be the best way to 'bank' while I'm over there? I currently have a UB account with Visa and Visa Debit, would I still need a US bank account?

Comment

this for some reason sounds terrible seedy

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                      Just booked a J1 for the summer, off to Chicago! Can't wait; at the time I regretted not going last year but I think looking back I was right to wait until I was 21.

Heading off to Chicago for around 10 weeks where hopefully I'll be able to get some work, and then in mid August I'm going to Vegas, San Francisco and New York before coming back home. I've saved up a good bit for it so all the flights are paid for before I go and have a good few $$$ left so hopefully it will be class. I booked the flights with one other lad, but I know a load of people heading to Chicago this summer too.

Any recommendations/advice/ideas? I've only booked the transatlantic flights at this stage; I'll try to have all the internal flights booked before I go too though (Southwest FTW).

Also while on the topic, what would be the best way to 'bank' while I'm over there? I currently have a UB account with Visa and Visa Debit, would I still need a US bank account?
                      Thats great news man congrats and wish you all the best should be some blast, be cash rich man don't use a bank
                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

i would say that a young fresh virgin like yourself could command big money for services to lonely gay men

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                          i would say that a young fresh virgin like yourself could command big money for services to lonely gay men
                          *shudders*

Comment

im sorry i just need to vent some anger! grrrrrrrrrrrr wefyiyegywqtlqefto;8FTQO0;WFTQOEYFTQEYFYQOEYFO fuck my life!!!!!!!!!!!! thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by liz:) View Post
                              im sorry i just need to vent some anger! grrrrrrrrrrrr wefyiyegywqtlqefto;8FTQO0;WFTQOEYFTQEYFYQOEYFO fuck my life!!!!!!!!!!!! thankyou
                              thats allright
                              come back again whenever you feel pissed off with life
                              we will be here to help you through it

Comment

new approach. If you are planning on working legally then you may need a bank account to get payed into but lots of people work cash in hand for the J1. Tax free and all that. I would always advise having a bank account set up even if you leave it with hardly anything in it. You never know when you may want to launder money in the future but it will also give you the lowest form of credit rating. Which if not particulairly usefull wont be a hinderance at anystage.
                                I am sure one of the finance guru will let you know if that is really the right advice but I am pretty sure I still have a US account that I set up years ago but who knows if its worth anything to me know. I also wouldnt be surprised if when the US legalise gambling you will need to hold a US bank account to play with their players. This will be tied up though Patriot act, Counter Terrorism etc but realistically just set up in case they want to tax withdrawls at any stage. In the long run could save you some hassle but wont be too much work now.

Comment

thats allright
                                  I'd recommend a dose of ginseng

tried it at the weekend on advice received from a Korean acquaintance, great stuff altogether. Makes you feel very relaxed and destressed.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

thats allright
                                      someone drove into my car while i was in work lastnight and put a dent in it and a scratch and they just drove off after they did it

Comment

venting is fine..

Just dont try to tell us why you're upset.
                                        Last edited by Mike; 28-03-11, 14:57. Reason: too late

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                          new approach. If you are planning on working legally then you may need a bank account to get payed into but lots of people work cash in hand for the J1. Tax free and all that. I would always advise having a bank account set up even if you leave it with hardly anything in it. You never know when you may want to launder money in the future but it will also give you the lowest form of credit rating. Which if not particulairly usefull wont be a hinderance at anystage.
                                          I am sure one of the finance guru will let you know if that is really the right advice but I am pretty sure I still have a US account that I set up years ago but who knows if its worth anything to me know. I also wouldnt be surprised if when the US legalise gambling you will need to hold a US bank account to play with their players. This will be tied up though Patriot act, Counter Terrorism etc but realistically just set up in case they want to tax withdrawls at any stage. In the long run could save you some hassle but wont be too much work now.
                                          can you not just cash your paychecks in the States without needing a bank account? costs a dollar or so

no point in opening an a\c if you don't need to imo

Comment

someone drove into my car while i was in work lastnight and put a dent in it and a scratch and they just drove off after they did it
                                            ahh the fucking cunts
                                            what colour was it?

Comment

ahh the fucking cunts
                                              what colour was it?
                                              my car? its dark blue. im so cross,i only got it last week,i was parked outside a bookies so hopefully they have cctv .im not even going to go to the guards when i find out who it was.im going to their house and im breaking every one of their car windows with a baseball bat and god help them if they come out their front door to stop me

Comment

Is that true about the interest relief RDIII?

Went to see this place @ the weekend. A lot of people I talk to seem to think its likes won't go down TOOO much more....

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                  You see, the cons just way outweigh the pros for me. Yes, you are more likely to make yourself fabulously wealthy but - for me at least - personal safety trumps all; i.e. I am satisfied with a possible (probable?) future within the lower middle class socio economic bracket in a country with a low murder rate, little violent crime full stop - and the protection of law and stable government. Call me a life nit I guess.

=====================
                                                  I'm way too risk adverse when it comes to property rights for the other countries too.

Comment

my car? its dark blue. im so cross,i only got it last week,i was parked outside a bookies so hopefully they have cctv .im not even going to go to the guards when i find out who it was.im going to their house and im breaking every one of their car windows with a baseball bat and god help them if they come out their front door to stop me
                                                    yeah thats the spirit, nothing beats taking the law into your own hands

Comment

oooooh yeah

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cVJkuT1k0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cVJkuT1k0[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                        Trying to book train tickets for June to Cork on the irishrail website:

1. Can't book more than a month in advance

2. Adult return is €46, whereas student return is €47.50 and railcard/taxsaver users pay €52.50
                                                        Cheaper to fly
                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Also while on the topic, what would be the best way to 'bank' while I'm over
                                                          there? I currently have a UB account with Visa and Visa Debit, would I still need a US bank account?
                                                          Awesome, was only there for a few days on my J1 but it was my favourite area of the states, that City got soul, definitely going back some time. The
                                                          whole Navy Pier area is pretty cool...
                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              Is that true about the interest relief RDIII?

Went to see this place @ the weekend. A lot of people I talk to seem to think its likes won't go down TOOO much more....

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/bro...ublin-9/404132
                                                              it's true

now here's a question:

why do the people you talk to think property won't fall much more?

Comment

i nearly feel better already,i might burst them in the face aswell just for good measure

Comment

Anyone want to do an over/under bet on how long before Gadafy is killed/flees Libya?

Want to put my reading of what's happening in Libya to some benefit, given that the knowledge acquired is highly irrelevant otherwise.
                                                                  I'd take the over on any realistic line, I think he'll never leave

Comment

awww jesus a blue car, that just madensss me more
                                                                    i don't know if this will help
                                                                    but i find it good
                                                                    SPOILER

Comment

it's true

now here's a question:

Good Q....I dunno...one of 'em works as an analyst in EBS so I just listen to him!
                                                                      He reckons commuter belt is still in freefall but 'old dublin' is settling

Comment

Good Q....I dunno...one of 'em works as an analyst in EBS so I just listen to him!
                                                                        He reckons commuter belt is still in freefall but 'old dublin' is settling
                                                                        he shouldn't mistake zero transactional activity for 'settling'

house prices have still got a long way to fall

Comment

it's true

now here's a question:

well now that they are taking first time buyers out of the game its defintley gonna. I have been witing for ages for it to properly fall and I dont think it has droped nearly enough yet. only way to get a decent price is to wait for some one to be just heading into NAMA and looking to sell off all their assets before hand. I do keep hearing that the market is bottoming out all the time but generally these are the same people who are not sure if they are in favour of the bank gaurantee in hindsight and that we can afford the repayments on our bailout with just a monor readjustment

Comment

i nearly feel better already,i might burst them in the face aswell just for good measure
                                                                            you're a bit mad aren't you?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Harney View Post
                                                                                Robbed off FB.. disgusting and shocking

SPOILER
                                                                                http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=10150170956082925&comments
                                                                                Cliffs pls before i decide

Comment

Just found out that if you are a postgrad DCU gives you a once off 500 quid to go to a conference related to what you are studying.

Eh ship them apples 10 days hols in the USA for me please.

Comment

What do you think would be a realistic enough line - three months?
                                                                                    eh, the bombs are falling around his ears and the mightiest military machine of all time is lined up against him

Comment

My sister had pictures up on facebook a week ago of herself and friends in the disabled toilets.... 'can't believe there is a swing in the disabled toilets!!' and then hanging out of it.

Had to point out that it was a hoist and not a 'swing' for the disabled peeps.

Trying to book train tickets for June to Cork on the irishrail website:

1. Can't book more than a month in advance

2. Adult return is €46, whereas student return is €47.50 and railcard/taxsaver users pay €52.50
                                                                                      They did have some 10e one way/20e returns for a while.
                                                                                      If you haven't booked yet, you can get 15% off by enterining a code that o2 give out. I'm not an o2 customer but it is usually posted on boards.

....

Thanks, your right but for some reason i just had it in my head that booking a return ticket hueston to Kildare(depart sat ret sun) would be more costly that a 5-day return.

Codes appear on Tuesday and Saturdays and have to be booked by midnight that day.
                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

well that 30k sting certainly makes buying now a bit more viable no?

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY
                                                                                          put a black american accent on and shout now your ugly bitch
                                                                                          gold and I don't even know why

Comment

...

Comment

Nice one!
                                                                                              I spend about 45 days in Chicago three years back, also went to Vegas and San Fran so i'll try and give you a little run down of what I enjoyed.

Chicago - Absolutely brilliant city, reckon if i'm to live anywhere in the states it would be Chicago, just a really great place to be (during the summer anyway)
                                                                                              I wasn't actually doing a J1 over there, but lived with two of my friends who were doing so. They found it incredibly difficult to get jobs, but eventually managed to both get jobs bartending (basically sat in the bar drinking loads, got to know the owners and kept pestering about it. They both claimed to have lots of experience, but for one of them it was his first ever job)...
                                                                                              Stayed near Wrigley Field, a place commonly referred to as boystown. While I was originally told that its because it was the place where they filmed boyz in the hood, that is no doubt a lie as 1) it's not in california and 2) it's definitely because it is the gay hub of chicago.
                                                                                              None the less its a lovely place to be living, you get used to the lads walking around holding hands fairly quickly and other then that its great location. Two minutes from the baseball stadium and one of the best night life streets in Cha town. Also by the like, so nice for going for jogs etc and also has the L line (elevated train) fairly close by too.
                                                                                              I'd definitely recommend it as a locational base.

Other cool places in Chicago are Kingston Mines (blues bar) and BLUES bar which are across the road from one another. Really cool spots to listen to some music and drink a lot of beer.

TBH there is not a lot of stuff that can go wrong once you get to Chicago, I think the main thing would be trying to sort out a job which can be tricky.

Vegas - I stayed here for about three weeks I think.... maybe less maybe more. Stayed in a villa with a few poker heads off Leggopoker. Vegas is great, but as everyone says it is designed so you spend as much money as you can.
                                                                                              Luckily for me I ran like god while I was over there and also had my biggest ever online score, so I actually came out about even after massive expenses.

I'm not sure how long you plan on spending in Vegas but if it is more then a week (at the absolute most) then I'd look into getting a villa off strip. The place we stayed was fairly reasonable and had a swimming pool, pool table, big tv, the works!
                                                                                              I found after two or three days hanging around the strip that you really just have to get out of there.
                                                                                              I would also strongly recommend putting aside $150 and going to one of the amazing steak houses and blowing it all on the chefs menu. I forget which place I went to when I was there but it was without doubt the best meal i've ever had. I regarded it as a once in a lifetime experience so didn't mind blowing the cash.

As I said, I was doing pretty well with the poker at the time so didn't have money issues while I was there, but there is a few tricks if you want to have a cheapish night drinking. Stick around the cheapest slots and when a waitress walks by start playing, order a drink, tip her a dollar on her return, start drinking, stop playing, rinse and repeat...

Also while I was there, we went to a Cirque de soleil show, it was amazing, saw the water show 'O', which was an absolute feast on the senses. Probably isn't still running over there but i would recommend checking out one of those shows.

San Francisco - stayed in the Green Tortoise hostel while there, was only for a week, but its a nice place. Found that hostels are great for meeting people, especially if you plan on travelling around. San Francisco for me was a bit of a mixed bag, parts of the city seem to be really dodgy, a lot of drug addicts etc. but other parts are lovely, liked the whole wharf part although it is very touristy.
                                                                                              One of the best days over there was renting bikes and cycling across the golden gate bridge, theres a lovely little town the far side of the bridge which is worth a look.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to pm me.
                                                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                Just found out that if you are a postgrad DCU gives you a once off 500 quid to go to a conference related to what you are studying.

Eh ship them apples 10 days hols in the USA for me please.
                                                                                                500 quid will barely cover the conference fee!

Comment

i believe in equality but if any one
                                                                                                  woman included came at me with a glass a bottle or a
                                                                                                  cricket bat world cup influence obv id cave there face in
                                                                                                  put a black american accent on and shout now your ugly bitch
                                                                                                  i'll have made sure ive cracked their head in before they get near me

Comment

This sickens me the americanisation of our country baseball bat?
                                                                                                    in my day disputes were settled with hurleys made from irish ash not chinese ash
                                                                                                    if a member or travelling community slash hooks
                                                                                                    well said, also lol @ liz.

New Approach: was in chicago few years back, loved it. Amazing city and real nice weather in the summer, something really cool bout sitting on a beach with sky scrapers behind you. I stayed near Lincoln park, seemed to be where most J1'ers were too.

Comment

well that 30k sting certainly makes buying now a bit more viable no?
                                                                                                      no

you have to borrow that 30k to get the tax benefit! prices will, on average, fall a lot more than the 30k

sit on your hands, save your money and wait

if your burd is giving you hassle, send her my direction

Comment

What do you think would be a more realistic timeframe?
                                                                                                        surely a matter of days, looks like the army are either unwilling to fight now or else defecting to the rebels

Comment

eh, the bombs are falling around his ears and the mightiest military machine of all time is lined up against him
                                                                                                          The roman legions?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                            I've always read that its Botswana first, the rest nowhere when it comes to living in the southern half of Africa. Stable democracy, low crime, GDP per person higher than some countries in Europe.
                                                                                                            Let's not forget the winning statistic of the highest rate of HIV / AIDS in the world. 1 in 4 adults iirc (pretends he didn't just Google to check).

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                              Watching an hour of news on BBC is pretty interesting in the relative sense. The set of rolling North African / Middle Eastern crises will go down as a major chapter in World History books. It is a more modern version of the Age of Revolutions in some respects and will be thought as such - primarily because it will be a useful way to get kids / people thinking about the sea-change in private communication that was heralded through the advent of twitter / facebook / other "social media" formats.

There will also be plenty of other strands to be studied in terms of religious divides / International reactions to the crises / traditional media perceptions and distortions / examples of how ideas like "freedom" and "democracy" differ sharply within different cultural brackets.

Of course, that the coverage we are currently fed manages to miss so much of this is a testament to the how dumbed down and futile modern mass media tends to be.

Was any of this predicted like any political scientists? I still wonder what the hell the point of that subject is. Today it was mentioned in a lecture that a bunch of political scientists studied goverment aid, and found that the amount given is reduced when conservatives get into power and when countries are in recession. Like seriously?

Comment

...

Comment

Well, she moved home to save which isn't a long term option really. I'm living with a mate who bought recently. We wanna get our own place but dropping 800-1k a month on rent seems ridic...so we're left with the buy option!

Comment

Why dont they hit Korea?
                                                                                                                    they reckon Seoul would disappear in a couple of days, that's why

even in their impoverished state, the North Korean army is fairly awesome

Comment

How about 3 weeks? My main obstacle to winning is that the guy is batshiat crazy and unlikely to listen to common sense. Obv any saner person would be long gone.
                                                                                                                      10 days

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                        Let's not forget the winning statistic of the highest rate of HIV / AIDS in the world. 1 in 4 adults iirc (pretends he didn't just Google to check).
                                                                                                                        1 in 4 is fairly bad, but I doubt its the actual world highest. More of a case of a decent government acknowledging the problem and not lying about the true figures.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                          doesn't really matter unless you are planning on having loads of unprotected sex with random strangers?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X