This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Dude, thought you knew the plan! Plan C is that if anyone comes looking for their money back we pretend we're not in.

"Who're you looking for? Ireland? Nahh, never heard of the guy"
    "ah dat'd be Oiceland yiz are looking for

ye'd find him up dere, near de Nort Poile, good luck now!"
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

My only knowledge about sugar sachets is that the guy who invented the long thin ones committed suicide out of frustration at people not breaking them in the middle as he had planned.

He viewed the middle break as his big thing, as it allowed people to moderate exactly how much sugar they put in their cup. (or something like that)
      that's some awesome trivia HH

wp

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
        surprised at that Kev, considering how many are employed there. Must be one of the few companies in the city not unionised. Is there a reason.
        It's usually a good sign from a companies point of view that they have been looking after their employees well.
        Hope all goes well for you all out there.

You playing Olympus tonight ?
        Ya, I'll be there tonight Dave. Will talk to you then.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          No more really. I think management are terrified that if these lads come back that it will lead to the place becoming a Union shop. Jacko and the boys are desperate to get 650 * weekly union subs and Green Isle would rather close than have their business run by the unions.
          650 jobs in a currently thriving business is a pretty big game.
          This is doubtful considering most people passed the picket and 12 union members were expelled from the TEEU for going back to work.

Not everything is a Union conspiracy. Most of the time its just about getting a fair deal for workers. These guys in GI were not given a fair deal. The LC agreed.
          pandapower99.blogspot.com

Comment

They fired people they believed they had good cause to fire . Labour court found against them and they negotiated a position that everyone will put up with whether they like it or not.
            The rest of the 650 workers passed the pickets every day being called scabs and intimidated by the strikers.
            I jeered the strikers when I drove by too.

Edit: I told this one before but the first day I came across the strike I was trying get into the ind estate to go to another place nothing to do with GI and all the lads were in the road and were trying to engage me, I opened down the window knowing nothing except that it was a strike and told them "Fck off you shower of wankers". Oh how I LOL'd when I read up about the strike and found how accurate I was in my assessment of them
            So anyone who strikes is a wanker regardless of circumstance??

I wonder will those 650 be so smug when GI move their jobs to England regardless. Its funny how there is little mention of the impending job cuts laid out in the "secret files" that one of the men who was sacked had found.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
              So anyone who strikes is a wanker regardless of circumstance??
              If they are trying to stop me going somewhere that is absolutely none of their business then yes.
              I wonder will those 650 be so smug when GI move their jobs to England regardless. Its funny how there is little mention of the impending job cuts laid out in the "secret files" that one of the men who was sacked had found.
              I think its clear that it was a broad strategy document that discussed loads of options that any business should have the right to discuss without some scumbag broadcasting it to everyone in order to play political games.
              But lets not get to specific about stuff we really don't know all the details of.

I would support the right of GI to be a non union house in order to maintain the kind of flexibility and profitability that has worked so well for them to date. Despite the huge effort of the union bosses over the year there was no demand among the workers to join up and pay their dues. Its funny how the demands for workers rights in GI are coming from outside rather than inside
              There is always however always huge demand for the jobs there with queues of people in existing jobs in the town trying to get in there every time there are vacancies.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                Production numbers for tracking purposes or something similarly mundane i'd imagine.
                Someone else said this alright, but it isn't the end of a number printed inside or anything, just 1 to 10, then it starts again 1 to 10.

Probably something stupid alright, just annoying me at this stage

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                  Someone else said this alright, but it isn't the end of a number printed inside or anything, just 1 to 10, then it starts again 1 to 10.

Probably something stupid alright, just annoying me at this stage
                  No idea if this is the right answer, but it is an answer.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

My god i thought From Paris With Love was gonna be bad but not that bad!
                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

If they are trying to stop me going somewhere that is absolutely none of their business then yes.

I think its clear that it was a broad strategy document that discussed loads of options that any business should have the right to discuss without some scumbag broadcasting it to everyone in order to play political games.
                        But lets not get to specific about stuff we really don't know all the details of.

I would support the right of GI to be a non union house in order to maintain the kind of flexibility and profitability that has worked so well for them to date. Despite the huge effort of the union bosses over the year there was no demand among the workers to join up and pay their dues. Its funny how the demands for workers rights in GI are coming from outside rather than inside
                        There is always however always huge demand for the jobs there with queues of people in existing jobs in the town trying to get in there every time there are vacancies.
                        You dont know specifics yet you call the person a scumbag?? Is that because he is a union member or concerned for his job??

I thought they fired 3 guys without proper cause?? Thats not outside, thats an inside call.

You support the rights of the employer yet you dont support the rights of workers to be members of a union??

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                          did he do the thing with the thing that we talked about last night?

Comment

Comment

You dont know specifics yet you call the person a scumbag?? Is that because he is a union member or concerned for his job??

I thought they fired 3 guys without proper cause?? Thats not outside, thats an inside call.

You support the rights of the employer yet you dont support the rights of workers to be members of a union??
                              I think in this instance he was calling that lad a scumbag because he was picketing an Industrial Estate, not just the company gates, thus trying to prevent people in no way connected to GI from going about their daily business.

Comment

gl with that! Toastmasters? I cringe thinking back to my maiden speech and think the next two stages might have been even worse. Was thinking about getting back into them though. Way too bored with my very limited entertainment choices at the moment.
                                Yup. I won our club comp last night and came second in the evaluator contest.
                                Only two of us in the speaking contest but the other guy is a veteran with 20 years experience and a fantastic speaker so I was delighted to beat him.

The road to California* starts here!!

*That's where this years world final is.

You really should get back into it if you can. It's a great way of meeting a diverse group of people - our club is really riding a high at the moment with a fantastic committee and some excellent and interesting speakers.
                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I have a €150 voucher for Amazon that I got at xmas. Any suggestions for what to get? I don't want to get dvd's or books with it. I was tempted to put it towards a netbook, and still might, but I don't really need a netbook, not that that would stop me I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    That PAYE online thingy is very impressive. I think I might be owed a refund for 2006 when I left Ireland about 8 months into the tax year. That would be awesome.
                                    €0.04. Apparently I claimed the rest already some time in the past. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                      I have a €150 voucher for Amazon that I got at xmas. Any suggestions for what to get? I don't want to get dvd's or books with it. I was tempted to put it towards a netbook, and still might, but I don't really need a netbook, not that that would stop me I guess.
                                      Have you a kickass monitor and speakers? Decent HD monitor is a good idea if you don't have one and never underestimate how good sound can be. Boes speakers are so worth the money.
                                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

My god i thought From Paris With Love was gonna be bad ass but not that bad ass!
                                        I loved it! It knew exactly what it was and absolutely embraced it. Don't go if you want anything serious or with any substance but it didn't attempt to give the impression it'd ever be about any of those things. It was pretty much a p-ss take, like Crank or Shoot Em Up. It was almost worth going for the Pulp Fiction reference alone...
                                        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armani-leather-silver-logo-EG2401/dp/B002SUI6E2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1267790810&sr=1-10"]some tasteless bling[/ame] imo

right up your alley I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                            Have you a kickass monitor and speakers? Decent HD monitor is a good idea if you don't have one and never underestimate how good sound can be. Boes speakers are so worth the money.
                                            Nah, I'm fine with that type of stuff. I have a 1920x1200 17" laptop, old PC with 21" 1600x1200 monitor, although I rarely use it and it is out on loan now atm, and I have a fairly new 22" HDTV in my bedroom as well, so no interest in anything else like this right now.
                                            Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            some tasteless bling imo

right up your alley I reckon
                                            Exudes class imo.

I am actually browsing some watches, and thinking of getting a new watch with a ps3 game if there is money left over. I'll probably just let the voucher expire in true balla style though.

Comment

and thinking of getting a new watch with a ps3 game
                                              Must be a big fucking watch

Comment

Exudes class imo.

I am actually browsing some watches, and thinking of getting a new watch with a ps3 game if there is money left over. I'll probably just let the voucher expire in true balla style though.
                                                a certain Boardsie confessed he has 15 or 16 watches last night

you could just buy one of his cast-offs

Comment

I think in this instance he was calling that lad a scumbag because he was picketing an Industrial Estate, not just the company gates, thus trying to prevent people in no way connected to GI from going about their daily business.
                                                  No he called the guy who distributed the "secret files" a scumbag.

Comment

Comment

GI need these guys

Comment

I'll probably just let the voucher expire in true balla style though.
                                                        That reminds me actually, I found a 100yoyo voucher for Jervis Shopping Centre a couple of months ago that's out of date. I thought that was a very grey legal area about whether or not that means anything?

Comment

help ....help well not really

Girls, any chance one of ye can give me the nod as to how to set up Firefox to run well on my pc

gave up using it before as it annoyed me blocking stuff and the likes (i know its for my good), other reasons too

But i know its me thats wrong not firefox so
                                                          Giving it another lash and read on here that once you get it set up right,
                                                          it works like a dream

tips/setup options or links to tips/set up options please

sorry if above is not in English or is way too Engerlish as dont have head on yet

cheers!

Comment

Neither. The truth is completly obscured under layers of bullshit now, but I don't think anyone was nailed for distributing the internal document. That would be an on the spot no questions asked firing offence and the perpetrator would indeed be a scumbag IMO.
                                                            That was a decision of the Labour Court. Looks on the surface like a terribly wrong decision to me but I haven't read all the paperwork.
                                                            I support the rights of everyone to work within the rule of Irish and European law. As a worker I am happy with the rights and protections I'm afforded under those laws. Those include the right to join a union and if I was an employer I also have the right to close up and move to somewhere that does not have to deal with unions.
                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-03-10, 12:31.

Comment

Is Malcolm still in Eblana? Think he's just about the only one I remember from the club.
                                                              He came along as a guest in October but he's living in South Wicklow now and seems to spend all his time traveling on buses to work in a bank in Dublin so it didn't sound like it made sense for him to rejoin as a member. If he ever moves back to Dublin I'm sure he'll come back on a more permanent basis.

Did you ever meet Liam Haines? Red headed business guy who spends a lot of his time in South America on business? He was the guy I was up against last night.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Nice!

Definitely am going to get back into it. I really struggle to find something to do in the place i'm in at the moment apart from drink beer. How much better and worthwhile is something like Toastmasters, masons, etc?
                                                                What sort of demographic the masons? Would I be way out of place there if I tried to join?

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                                                                  That reminds me actually, I found a 100yoyo voucher for Jervis Shopping Centre a couple of months ago that's out of date. I thought that was a very grey legal area about whether or not that means anything?
                                                                  was it bought or a prize?

IMO If bought im pretty sure they cannot do that, if a prize/discount, i think they can do what they like

If bought, you go in and say money is money they will not argue
                                                                  well they will argue, but tell them (depending on your cockyness)you have either
                                                                  A: worked in shops or
                                                                  B: Used to manage shops for a living and they are wrong (i love using that one )
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 05-03-10, 12:33.

Comment

Carlos Tevez sees his child for the first time says it looks noyhing like me?
                                                                    His wife says will you give me a chance ive only just boiled the kettle.

Comment

What sort of demographic the masons? Would I be way out of place there if I tried to join?
                                                                      If you stay in FF and learn to speak coherently in public you will be totally out of place.

Comment

Neither. I'm not completly clear on all the details, I don't know if the truth is not completly obscured now, but I don't think anyone was nailed for distributing the internal document. That would be an on the spot no questions asked firing offence and the perpetrator would indeed be a scumbag IMO.

That was a decision of the Labour Court. Looks on the surface like a terribly wrong decision to me but I haven't read all the paperwork.

I support the rights of everyone to work within the rule of Irish and European law. As a worker I am happy with the rights and protections I'm afforded under those laws. Those include the right to join a union and if I was an employer I also have the right to close up and move to somewhere that does not have to deal with unions.
                                                                        Fair enough. Its Friday and I am not feeling militant enough to go on a long rant about the evils of big business and their anti-worker policies.

I will instead bask in the glory of my weekend off, which I will be spending in a very nice hotel/spa. 2 nights B+B, one evening meal and some treatments for myself and GF. All for free. GF is doing a review of the place.

Comment

Fair enough. Its Friday and I am not feeling militant enough to go on a long rant about the evils of big business and their anti-worker policies.

I will instead bask in the glory of my weekend off, which I will be spending in a very nice hotel/spa. 2 nights B+B, one evening meal and some treatments for myself and GF. All for free. GF is doing a review of the place.
                                                                          do make sure that you instruct the staff (who attend your every whim) in class consciousness and urge them to rise up against their capitalist overlords whereupon they will be able to run the joint as an anrchist syndicate

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                            50/50, although the answer you want is approximately 51/49. It depends on what side of the coin is facing upwards when you flip it.

However, the piece of research is flawed in that it assumes the same side is always facing upwards. If we take the rather more likely assumption that the upward facing side of the coin has a 50/50 chance of being either heads or tails (obv) and we exclude someone purposefully choosing to always have one side face up then the odds of it landing on either side revert to 50/50.

Don't always assume QI is right. They tend to present things as facts that really need more information about the theory to be properly understood in context.
                                                                            "Either side" means one or the other, so if we go strictly by phrasing the odds are "certainty" or maybe a million to one on. "100%" has the same meaning, but thats probability, not odds. Phrasing FTW.
                                                                            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

I had planned to watch this tonight, knowing my taste i will probably come back with a review of 10/10

Comment

Pretty interesting post from FreddieMays this week: http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/commu...ur-toothbrush/

My brother was in Brazil last year and had so many good things to say about it (and so many bad things about the journey there and back), gotta visit at some stage over the next few years.

Comment

...

Comment

Cool.
                                                                                    Now relax and enjoy listening to two of my heros from the days when Unions seemed to be a good idea.
                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQLzZ1zlkGo[/ame]
                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Kxq9uFDes[/ame]

Comment

do make sure that you instruct the staff (who attend your every whim) in class consciousness and urge them to rise up against their capitalist overlords whereupon they will be able to run the joint as an anrchist syndicate

I intend to leave several copies of the Ragged Trousered Philantropists lying around the place when I leave

Comment

...

Comment

Why on earth would clever, articulate, dynamic young people decide to join Fianna Fail ?
                                                                                          I can only assume that both of you have family history that is sucking you in, yea?
                                                                                          I just thought I'd give it a shot and trying to find some other sensible people in it and trying to instigate a bit of positive change, rather than just grumbling to myself every time I read the news!

My college isn't very politically charged, and the membership is quite small, most of the people in it are actually on the same course as me, so to stage a coup wouldn't take too much, and we can take it from there!

Comment

I just thought I'd give it a shot and trying to find some other sensible people in it and trying to instigate a bit of positive change, rather than just grumbling to myself every time I read the news!

My college isn't very politically charged, and the membership is quite small, most of the people in it are actually on the same course as me, so to stage a coup wouldn't take too much, and we can take it from there!
                                                                                            Despite my slagging I actually think that its great that there are people like you and Kayroo willing to get involved and trying to change things.

Unfortunately I know how that movie ends.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                              My girlfriend is going on work experience and was thinking about trying Green Isle cos its about 5 mins walk from her house. I just lolled and said "You won't cook me dinner if you're on hunger strike."
                                                                                              got ur priorities right anyway - wp sir.

did he do the thing with the thing that we talked about last night?
                                                                                              Did either of you guys win last nite?

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                              50/50, although the answer you want is approximately 51/49. It depends on what side of the coin is facing upwards when you flip it.

However, the piece of research is flawed in that it assumes the same side is always facing upwards. If we take the rather more likely assumption that the upward facing side of the coin has a 50/50 chance of being either heads or tails (obv) and we exclude someone purposefully choosing to always have one side face up then the odds of it landing on either side revert to 50/50.

Don't always assume QI is right. They tend to present things as facts that really need more information about the theory to be properly understood in context.

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                              "Either side" means one or the other, so if we go strictly by phrasing the odds are "certainty" or maybe a million to one on. "100%" has the same meaning, but thats probability, not odds. Phrasing FTW.
                                                                                              It could also land on its edge, i.e neither heards nor tails.

Comment

Half day today. 2nd interview later for that job I've already got one hand on. The sun is shining, and I'm watching Spaced.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBLWDF2nfP8[/ame]
                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Watched that movie that you mentioned yesterday - Idiocracy. Really good!
                                                                                                  Its worth a watch alright, starts really well, something must have been seriously wrong during the filming as i think it tails off a bit

Could have been brilliant!
                                                                                                  jokes missing a bit of snap imo

Badly needed another writer/script editor

Still; next time you go for a stroll it will get you thinking about all the baby factories walking about

Comment

goddamit, carefully selected a nag in the 1.20 at Lingfield that had a good e/w shout in a weak 8-runner handicap, ridden by my favourite AW jockey

went for a walk at lunchtime and was enjoying blue skies\fresh air so much that I walked right past the bookies - check on the interweb when i get back here and it won at 8/1

tiltacular imo

there should be a word for such an occurence, preferably one of those long German ones

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                                                      Did either of you guys win last nite?
                                                                                                      I didn't anyway, hatedajacks had approx 1 million chips when I left the building

Comment

goddamit, carefully selected a nag in the 1.20 at Lingfield that had a good e/w shout in a weak 8-runner handicap, ridden by my favourite AW jockey

went for a walk at lunchtime and was enjoying blue skies\fresh air so much that I walked right past the bookies - check on the interweb when i get back here and it won at 8/1

tiltacular imo

there should be a word for such an occurence, preferably one of those long German ones
                                                                                                        Skydencloudenfreed?

Comment

Anybody ever fly into Malaga and then get the ferry to Tangiers? It much work?
                                                                                                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                            Anybody ever fly into Malaga and then get the ferry to Tangiers? It much work?
                                                                                                            if you get it the other way, you can come ashore in a raft made of tyres

Comment

It's currently €30 to book a bag onto a Ryanair flight, how much more does it cost to just not book one and pay for one on the day? Or to put an extra one through??

Comment

Pushbike versus cop car, only ever going to be one winner.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_Z-ywTc4w[/ame]

Comment

tiltacular imo

A Nagging regret ?

(I vill get mein Leather Mac)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    Pushbike versus cop car, only ever going to be one winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_Z-ywTc4w
                                                                                                                    Pretty fake
                                                                                                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                      Pretty fake
                                                                                                                      Yep, looks like it on second viewing alright.

***********

A GAMBLER was given a suspended prison term today after he threatened to kill a racehorse unless it was withdrawn from a race.

Andrew Rodgerson, 26, warned a racing stud manager not to run 2008 St Leger winner Conduit in a valuable Group One race at Ascot after he forgot to place an accumulator bet on behalf of a syndicate.

He panicked when he realised that victory for Conduit in last July's King George King Stakes would lead to the syndicate expecting winnings of £50,000, Bolton crown court heard. Rodgerson, of Balderstone, near Rochdale, sent a series of text messages and emails to Peter Reynolds, the general manager for the Ballymacoll Stud in Ireland, which owned Conduit. Ten days before the race he texted Mr Reynolds: "Dear Peter, we would just like to warn you should Conduit run in the King George then the horse will be killed."

Police in the Newmarket area were informed and Rodgerson was arrested at his home two days before the race.

Rodgerson pleaded guilty to threatening to commit damage at an earlier hearing after an initial charge of blackmail was dropped.

Sentencing him to 34 weeks in jail, suspended for two years, Judge Angela Nield said he had embarked on a "foolish escapade".

Conduit went on to win the King George.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Andrew Rodgerson, 26, warned a racing stud manager not to run 2008 St Leger winner Conduit in a valuable Group One race at Ascot after he forgot to place an accumulator bet on behalf of a syndicate.
                                                                                                                        http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gamble.....-a0215725206
                                                                                                                        LOL @ Forgot

Comment

Bringing the betterhalf to London for the weekend .Anyone recommend nice pubs/clubs to go to and maybe a restaurant as well.Staying near picadilly.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X