This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
    Keep watching the history channel Danny, while you are at that for the next 20 years we will be out making history

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      After all that you didn't do it? At least I got the small consolation from it of 4 points for a correct score prediction.
      Only reason I was going to do the bet, was because we have a competition running here where you had to hit 11 goals exactly to win it. One lad had Utd and they were on 8, so I was only trying to give myself and out if he won (which he did of course). Decided to take the sweat instead. Had a small wager on Utd, Che, Ars treble at 5/2 so happy (and lucky) to get that one up.

Originally posted by CHD View Post
      2218: Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, meanwhile, has confirmed that new signing Fernando Torres WILL make his debut against Liverpool on Sunday, provided he is fit. "We will test tomorrow and the next day. If he has no problem, he will play against Liverpool." What a match to make your bow in for the Spaniard. What a match

Cannot wait for Sunday
      Not being wise after the event but I was sure he would play (esp seen as its at SB). Also, he will get the first goal (cert imo). PP are giving enhanced odds on it (5s from 4s). Would never back against Pool but I'll have a bet on that.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
        Only reason I was going to do the bet, was because we have a competition running here where you had to hit 11 goals exactly to win it. One lad had Utd and they were on 8, so I was only trying to give myself and out if he won (which he did of course). Decided to take the sweat instead. Had a small wager on Utd, Che, Ars treble at 5/2 so happy (and lucky) to get that one up.

Not being wise after the event but I was sure he would play (esp seen as its at SB). Also, he will get the first goal (cert imo). PP are giving enhanced odds on it (5s from 4s). Would never back against Pool but I'll have a bet on that.
        I doubt he will start. I reckon we stick with 4-3-3 and start Drogba and put Torres in for him or someone else in the second half.

Then next week in training the tactics will change and he starts from the Fulham game.

Comment

You'd need a microscope to be able to read 'Fianna Fail' in the pictures of MeHole outside my office window. Says it all really.

SF at the doors last night. I was polite to them in case they would kneecap me.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            You'd need a microscope to be able to read 'Fianna Fail' in the pictures of MeHole outside my office window. Says it all really.

SF at the doors last night. I was polite to them in case they would kneecap me.
            You're late

Comment

Originally posted by daire View Post
              M&S had nice cheap suits ~18 months ago but dunno if they've got womens' ones
              Thats where I would advise also. Decent quality and decently made so you will get much more usage than needed out of them. Sister got one in there recently for her interviews and was happy out as it was nice and cheap

Comment

'FF under 20 seats' now out to 9/2 on PP btw

Comment

You're late
                  I've been here for hours

much like strewelpeter I run on African time

Comment

This thing is great for iPhone users...

Comment

Bacik tightened up to evens in DLR

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                        IonaPaul is from Tuam i think tis a desolate kip but probably has 5 or 6 supermacs with 5 euro snackboxes on offer.
                        Its 18 19 miles from Tuam to galway city by way of the N 17 also a catchy song about emmigration by the ;saw doctors.
                        check outt that commute on friday evenings. Takes close to two hours

Comment

the polls are all over the place

Red C for Paddy Power:

FG 37
                          Lab 19
                          FF 18
                          SF 12
                          Grn 3
                          Ind 11

Indo:

FG 30
                          Lab 24
                          FF 16
                          SF 13
                          Grn 1
                          Ind 15

Comment

Bacik tightened up to evens in DLR
                            When are the runners and riders finalised?
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              I don't see how that analogy stands up at all.
                              It was just an example of what I highlighted as the ethical principle you appeared to be suggesting that one ought to do something because other people are denied the right to.

Whether a person in Ireland should vote has nothing to do with the lack of effective democracy elsewhere imo.

The fundamental question I have remains: Why should someone vote?

Comment

When are the runners and riders finalised?
                                they should in theory be finalised but FF would be nuts not to move one of Hanafin or Andrews into Dublin South

Comment

Guy I know works for a funeral directors, a Chelsea fan, was watching the footie with him last night, he is the most impatient man I've ever met. Fucker would drive you to an early grave.

Comment

The pools are all over the place

Red C for Paddy Power:

FG 37
                                    Lab 19
                                    FF 18
                                    SF 12
                                    Grn 3
                                    Ind 11

Indo:

FG 30
                                    Lab 24
                                    FF 16
                                    SF 13
                                    Grn 1
                                    Ind 15

Not least because the indo's doesn't even add to 100%
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Anyone know what the story is with the new jobs in Full Tilt announced this morning? All techy jobs is it?

Never mind: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...288767701.html

cheers anyway TD
                                      Last edited by ghostface; 02-02-11, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                        Dude, trust me, with my memory, it doesn't matter !!
                                        You will be fist pumping like a champ soon!

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        Lol

Also, on episode 6 of community and it's finally delivered

Gnight everybody
                                        Some cracking episodes ahead

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                        Anyone know what the story is with the new jobs in Full Tilt announced this morning? All techy jobs is it?
                                        PM Gilligan Black maybe?
                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

meanwhile, back at the ranch

remember that boring stuff about capital flight I was predicting last year?

here's the numbers. €40bn alone in December.

Couple this with the ELA and it leads me to wonder if getting elected to government is really all that desirable...tipping point approaching.

Comment

Danny when you are out at Deepstack today could you let me know what the story is with parking in the hotel? Cheers.

Comment

Danny when you are out at Deepstack today could you let me know what the story is with parking in the hotel? Cheers.
                                              Will do man just about to leave for it now in a couple of minutes. Catch you all in a bit.
                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

People should vote because it is a privilege to be able to and if you don't value it its very easy to lose it.
                                                Other reasons include that IMO you cede your right to whinge about the government or the state of the nation if you do note vote, to balance out against all the droolers who vote. In Ireland your vote actually does count often down to the 10th transfer and beyond.

And I won't even bring up the one about better men than you having died to get you the right to vote.

Comment

heys guys do ye know if i can jus turn up pay and play in the deepstack today or is it full

Comment

Never mind: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...288767701.html

cheers anyway TD
                                                    Lots of customer services jobs but a whole pile on the IT side also. Lots in payments especailly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattled77 View Post
                                                      heys guys do ye know if i can jus turn up pay and play in the deepstack today or is it full
                                                      You should be still able to turn up and pay today, don't think will be able to do so tomorrow

Comment

Morning folks.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                        I was ready to dump Community after the 1st few episodes as I thought it was quite poor - lazy hack writing and unoriginal and repetitive "guy hitting on girl who doesn't like him" story taking up a large part of each episode.

But because people here like it so much I investigated further and consensus seems to be that it hits its stride and gets good in the 2nd half of the 1st season (which is 25 episodes long). So I'm sticking with it for now.

I will say however that the number of episodes lead written by a female writer is quite high. This is usually a bad thing.
                                                        The Halloween party ep is the one I watched last night - thought it was very funny tbf.

The eps are a good length to throw on first thing in the morning to keep me from falling back to sleep so I'm gonna stay with it for another while.

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                                        check outt that commute on friday evenings. Takes close to two hours
                                                        You're talking about driving from Tuam to Galway here?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

You're talking about driving from Tuam to Galway here?
                                                          ya, its a nightmare traffic jam all the way to clare galway and after that just really slow. Starts to build at about 4pm when the kids get out of school and runs till around 7 when the office stragglers get out. Might have changed now but was the case a few years back, has been in serious need of a dualer for ages

Comment

no wonder FF made a mess of the economy....

Comment

Fianna Fail election slogan seems to be 'Real Plan, Real Future'.

I don't think anyone nailed that in the big money competition I ran a few weeks ago, if I'm wrong link to your post and I'll ship the cash.

Comment

Talking of election slogans Fine Gaels is really poor.

'Lets Get Ireland Working' is boring and unoriginal, and is also too similar to 'Vote Yes for Jobs' that was used in LisbonII and which is now (probably incorrectly) derided.

Though I'm not sure how influential these things are on the voting public anyway.

Comment

I think its about time and i deserve the BBV thread title. Being the IPB flag bearer and most infamous member it's about time imo

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                    I think its about time and i deserve the BBV thread title. Being the IPB flag bearer and most infamous member it's about time imo
                                                                    I am happy to release my title to you

Comment

People should vote because it is a privilege to be able to and if you don't value it its very easy to lose it.
                                                                      Other reasons include that IMO you cede your right to whinge about the government or the state of the nation if you do note vote, to balance out against all the droolers who vote. In Ireland your vote actually does count often down to the 10th transfer and beyond.

And I won't even bring up the one about better men than you having died to get you the right to vote.
                                                                      People should vote because it is a privilege to be able to
                                                                      Again, I just don't understand why a privilege being available renders it ethically encumbent upon one to engage in it. I could examples all day long why this position would be ridiculous if broadly applied.

and if you don't value it its very easy to lose it.
                                                                      Ireland's citizens will not lose the right to vote if *I* as an individual choose not to vote. It is not very easy to lose it. Ireland will continue as a democracy irrespective of any reasonably possible change in voter turnout.

Other reasons include that IMO you cede your right to whinge about the government or the state of the nation if you do note vote, to balance out against all the droolers who vote.
                                                                      Why? Your vote as an individual is 100% ineffective in altering the makeup of the Dail. It is analogous to suggesting that if you didn't pray for a sunny day then you have no right to moan if it rains. Both have no effect but merely the illusion of an effect. You as an individual are not balancing out "all the droolers", you are not affecting anything in any way. And I think one has a right to moan about all manner of things which one isn't actively trying to do something about. Such as poverty, war, and world hunger.

Just another variation of "You have the privilege so therefore it is an ethical imperative to exercise it".

Others please feel free to chime in.

We have grown up with a socially constructed perspective that exercising the right to vote is a good thing. There is a very good reason for the promotion of this view, but it breaks down and doesn't apply at the individual level. It's almost a paradox.

The only way, to my mind, to ethically argue for voting is by invoking Kant's categorical principle. At least if you do that then a genuine ethical debate can occur. But I enjoy discounting that in this instance due to pragmatic realism.

Comment

I think it was remiss of us not to award Hotspur a custom title sooner.
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                          I think it was remiss of us not to award Hotspur a custom title sooner.
                                                                          It's remiss of you not to award me the title.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                            Talking of election slogans Fine Gaels is really poor.

'Lets Get Ireland Working' is boring and unoriginal, and is also too similar to 'Vote Yes for Jobs' that was used in LisbonII and which is now (probably incorrectly) derided.

Though I'm not sure how influential these things are on the voting public anyway.
                                                                            I don't think they matter even in the slightest to be honest.
                                                                            Again, I just don't understand why a privilege being available renders it ethically encumbent upon one to engage in it. I could examples all day long why this position would be ridiculous if broadly applied.

Ireland's citizens will not lose the right to vote if *I* as an individual choose not to vote. It is not very easy to lose it. Ireland will continue as a democracy irrespective of any reasonably possible change in voter turnout.

Why? Your vote as an individual is 100% ineffective in altering the makeup of the Dail. It is analogous to suggesting that if you didn't pray for a sunny day then you have no right to moan if it rains. Both have no effect but merely the illusion of an effect. You as an individual are not balancing out "all the droolers", you are not affecting anything in any way. And I think one has a right to moan about all manner of things which one isn't actively trying to do something about. Such as poverty, war, and world hunger.

Just another variation of "You have the privilege so therefore it is an ethical imperative to exercise it".

Others please feel free to chime in.

We have grown up with a socially constructed perspective that exercising the right to vote is a good thing. There is a very good reason for the promotion of this view, but it breaks down and doesn't apply at the individual level. It's almost a paradox.

The only way, to my mind, to ethically argue for voting is by invoking Kant's categorical principle. At least if you do that then a genuine ethical debate can occur. But I enjoy discounting that in this instance due to pragmatic realism.
                                                                            <insert nodding man gif here>

Comment

It's remiss of you not to award me the title.
                                                                              You want the fucking title do ya? I'll give you the fucking title.
                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

what a whinger *insert flabergasted smiley here*

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

pretty poor titling there Lloyd

Kev is much better at it, too much Mad Men imo

Comment

If you add 'and all round nice guy' it would be acceptable

Comment

In Ireland your vote actually does count often down to the 10th transfer and beyond.
                                                                                      But all the candidates are the same, vote for someone not in one of the clone parties and they're not going to be able to do anything anyway, as RD said yesterday whats the point in voting for an independant.

Comment

meanwhile, back at the ranch

remember that boring stuff about capital flight I was predicting last year?

here's the numbers. €40bn alone in December.

Couple this with the ELA and it leads me to wonder if getting elected to government is really all that desirable...tipping point approaching.
                                                                                        so whats the outcome when all the monies are withdrawn?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

featuring The Lover, The Legend, The Fink.

Comment

jesus if the govt. gave in to the taxi drivers as easy as you did it would cost 50quid just to call one

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                              jesus if the govt. gave in to the taxi drivers as easy as you did it would cost 50quid just to call one
                                                                                              Love that. Not sure why but im pissing myself. Think i need to get out of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                featuring The Lover, The Legend, The Fink.
                                                                                                When this forum eventually goes worldwide I'll be a bigger brand that Stewart Baggs

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                  so whats the outcome when all the monies are withdrawn?
                                                                                                  what happens to a balloon when you stab it with a knife?

Comment

I look at the voting thing a bit differently to you all. It is easy to get fixated on the way things are and decide that your vote is meaningless because the vast majority of people eligible to vote either sit at home or - worse in my view - go and vote for all sorts of crazy, uninformed reasons.

Leaving aside the reality that your individual vote is much more valuable in this system relative to other democracies, I like to go over and make an informed vote because I know if everyone kept up with a decent objective news resource for a few hours a week; spent a couple of hours researching what their candidates stood for; and then made an informed decision at the polls we would have a much higher standard of elected officials in a matter of decades. As such, I do what I feel any good citizen should. I'm not just toddling over to vote on the fly out of a sense of duty as some do, and I agree that such a move essentially amounts to a waste of your democratic privilege.

Particularly in a forum like this where we have many smart people with interesting backgrounds, it's a shame to think most of you aren't bothered to vote - because I reckon we would get a decent percentage of decently informed votes (or decently spoiled votes! ) if you were. The arguments put forward thus far for not voting are a very eloquent version of 'I can't be arsed'. That's cool, and to each their own. I just wish it was different though.

Also, because they changed the election date, it now appears I'll be out of the country. I need to register for a postal vote. How does one do this?

Comment

When this forum eventually goes worldwide I'll be a bigger brand that Stewart Baggs
                                                                                                      You deserve your thread title taken away from you for spouting this rubbish.
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                        You deserve your thread title taken away from you for spouting this rubbish.
                                                                                                        Wait and see kid

Comment

CHD > Finkel should be the title

Comment

Finkel is the Snooki of the BBV

Comment

Again, I just don't understand why a privilege being available renders it ethically encumbent upon one to engage in it.
                                                                                                              ...
                                                                                                              .
                                                                                                              That is just wishful thinking based on the experience of the last 80 years.

.
                                                                                                              By participting in Liberal Democracy we are trying to do things about poverty war and World hunger

I don't know about Kant's categorical principle but if he is saying that sometimes we have a duty and a responsibility to act in the interest of the community and society we are part of then that's fine by me because its true.

Comment

CHD > Finkel should be the title
                                                                                                                Fuck you pal, it's my time, it's Finkels time and Finkel is not gonna have his reign at the top spoiled by some sideshow freak

Comment

Postal & Special Voters

A Postal Voters list is prepared every year as part of the Register of Electors compilation process. Postal voting is provided only in respect of certain categories of persons as specified in electoral law. An elector registered as a postal voter may vote by post only and may not vote at a polling station.

The following categories of persons must be registered as postal voters:

* Whole-time members of the Defence Forces - members who live in military barracks may be registered either at the barracks or at their home address. Form RFC
                                                                                                                  * Irish diplomats posted abroad and their spouses - they are registered at their home address in Ireland. Form SV5

The following categories of persons may apply for registration as postal voters:

* Members of An Garda Síochána. Form RFB
                                                                                                                  * Persons living at home who are unable to go to a polling station to vote because of a physical illness or physical disability. Form PV1
                                                                                                                  * Persons whose occupations are likely to prevent them from voting at their local polling station on election day, including full-time students registered at home who are living elsewhere while attending an educational institution in the State. Form PV2
                                                                                                                  * Prisoners - any person detained in a prison pursuant to an order of a court may apply to the registration authority covering the address where he/she would have been residing but for the fact of their detention. Form RFG (for those who are already registered as an elector) and RFA4 (for those who are not registered as an elector).

A Special Voters list is also prepared every year as part of the Register of Electors compilation process. Those eligible to apply for special voter status are persons ordinarily resident at a hospital, nursing home or similar institution who are unable to vote at a polling station by reason of a physical illness or physical disability that is likely to continue for the period the Register is in force. Form SV1

Electors on the Special Voters list vote at their hospital, nursing home, etc. by completing a ballot paper brought to them by a special presiding officer who is accompanied by a Garda.

The statutory closing date for receipt of application forms for inclusion on the Postal or Special Voters List is 25th November each year, except in the case of Diplomats the closing date is 30th September.

A supplement to the Postal and Special Voters' list is prepared during the year of an election or referendum.

If you are eligible for the Postal or Special Voters' list but are not included, you can apply for inclusion in the relevant supplement to the PVS1, PVS2, SVS1

The latest date for receipt of applications is two days after the date of dissolution of the Dáil in the case of a general election or two days after the order appointing polling day for other elections or refernda.
                                                                                                                  Nevermind. Looks like I won't be voting. Also going to miss the fun of this election result - likely to be the most dramatic in some time.

Comment

Is this working?
                                                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CmvqJJttA[/ame]

Comment

Also, because they changed the election date, it now appears I'll be out of the country. I need to register for a postal vote. How does one do this?
                                                                                                                      When you going to the Homeland? sure you may aswell apply for citeznship while there and become mr. America. Like Big Dev keep your nose out of Irish Politics. Also Check your mail.

Comment

Seems I am not registered to vote since moving into my own place. To register on the supplementary list you have to go to the Garda station and het it signed and stamped then bring it up to the Co. Co. offices??

Comment

dichotomy: PP

Socialist Party are 4/1 to win 3 seats - basically this assumes Higgins (cert), Daly (1/3 shot) and Barry to be elected

but....in the individual constituency betting for Cork North Central, Barry is a 4\1 shot. I'll be having some of that. No way is Billy Kelleher anything close to a 1/12 cert.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X