This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Thoughts on the new Barcelona shirt sponsorship deal? I'd imagine you see no problem with it, right?
    Impressive answer given that you managed to completely avoid comment on who the sponsors will be, or the nature of the regime they represent - and the interesting departure from UNICEF that having them as a sponsor will make.

Your post sizzles with anger, I like.
    tbf you only asked his opinion on it rather what the actual facts are..
    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
      Have a big smile on my face after watching that its very good

While watching it thou was thinking of this
      Breakfast club is good.
      Pretty much anything from John Hughes is 80s gold

And we obv have a different point of reference for "in bits"
      in bits = stick from the lads in the pub

Comment

Ugh that sucks unlucky dude.
        I've had this cure. This link you posted t'other day has kept me sane after beats lately! Tyvm. Just going back through season 1 atm. Epic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPillowTalk View Post
          I dont think it was terrible business by pool today, 10 mill too much for a player but if he fires them into 4th it will be well worth it, pretty huge ask from such a young player though. I think the sale of Torres had to happen and all things considered its a great price for a player that hasnt really looked at it the last two years and looks like he could be a bit of a croc who will have massive depreciation in capital value over the life of his contract due to age alone.

Im not as convinced as everyone else seems to be about the Drogba Torres partnership Im finding it hard to imagine how its going to fit.
          I think 4th place is obviously beyond Liverpool at this point. We could have signed Ronaldo or Messi, and it might have been too much ground to make up.

It is unfortunate that football is the way it is, but once a player wants out you have to let them go. If he had stayed I could imagine him sulking for the rest of the season. There have been a couple of games this year where he genuinely wasn't trying, and he has struggled to string performances together that do his capabilities justice. If he could stay fit and manage a healthy 40 games he becomes befitting of that fee. But it's a big ask for him to be healthy for that much of a season.

I hear you with regards to how they will work together. Both like to play on the last shoulder and are at their worst when dropping deep to collect the ball (though Drogba is better in this respect). Drogba does miss a certain amount of games a year though it should be remembered. The real strength of the move might be that they always have a dominant goal getter on the pitch for any one game.
          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 01-02-11, 03:06.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

To be fair without the thousands of dollars worth of make-up, stylists, clothes, etc which most girls that you or I would meet out I reckon I'd be dishing out the stick. Big man head on her.

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
              tbf you only asked his opinion on it rather what the actual facts are..
              I'm sure he is fully aware of all the surrounding facts as a diehard Barcelona fan...
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Impressive answer given that you managed to completely avoid comment on who the sponsors will be, or the nature of the regime they represent - and the interesting departure from UNICEF that having them as a sponsor will make.

I genuinely don't know enough to comment on it nor was I asked nor are you interested in my answer or in doing anything other than satisfying some child like need to play ftw. If you genuinely want to discuss barcelona with me id be happy to do so via pm or skype or whatever, if you actually want a calm reasoned discussion where the goal isn't point scoring than that is a genuine offer, I've no interest in wasting peoples time with nonsense here though. Ask yourself what is your motivation for bringing up this topic and you'll see why it'd be a waste of bbv space to continue this discussuon here but that offer is genuine.

Fwiw I've never claimed to be a die hard barca fan, or even a fan. I'd rather see shelbourne be promoted than barca win the treble, i support one team and it isn't barca
                Last edited by Sledgejammer; 01-02-11, 03:11.
                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

i have to say, i'm not a fan of football Lloyd!

Comment

I claimed an attempt at objectivity in one post. ABL other than that, cleaned up on the Liverpool top4 last season. Should be able to lay them to win the league next season as most pool fans will think theyll win the league next year as per most years.

As you say 4th is beyond you so why not wait and bring in someone top class in your own time over the summer.

As for Barca and sponsors, I think everyone saw it coming when the Unicef deal came in. Now they're in line with the vast majority in having a sponsor, sure it was nice to be able to say fair play to them for not having one but money talks. The more than a club thing had nothing to do with the lack of a sponsor. Also Nike were basically the shirt sponsor before Unicef came in.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      i have to say, i'm not a fan of football Lloyd!
                      Not many are, but he'll keep on trucking regardless.

Comment

I'm sure he is fully aware of all the surrounding facts as a diehard Barcelona fan...
                        Im surprised you were even interested in the evenings transfers being more of a die hard UCD fan.

Comment

I have never seen him claim to be a die hard fan. If he has in the past then, going by his post, he has obviously changed his attitude. He admitted he doesn't know the ins and outs.

Speaking of avoidance you clearly avoided my point that you hadn't actually asked him what the facts were, merely for his opinion on the issue.

[/my involvement]
                          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                            I claimed an attempt at objectivity in one post. ABL other than that, cleaned up on the Liverpool top4 last season. Should be able to lay them to win the league next season as most pool fans will think theyll win the league next year as per most years.

As you say 4th is beyond you so why not wait and bring in someone top class in your own time over the summer.

As for Barca and sponsors, I think everyone saw it coming when the Unicef deal came in. Now they're in line with the vast majority in having a sponsor, sure it was nice to be able to say fair play to them for not having one but money talks. The more than a club thing had nothing to do with the lack of a sponsor. Also Nike were basically the shirt sponsor before Unicef came in.
                            Any Pool fan that reckons we will win the league next year needs their head examined - though I do expect further moves to be made in the summer.

Carroll is obviously their guy, and they figured if Torres was going to go they might as well get him on board now. It could also be the case that Tax concerns played a part in moving today, as the overpayment for his acquisition could be balanced somewhat by the Tax liability created by leaving the net profit for the Torres sale on the books through to the summer.

I have no problem with them having a sponsor. It is the nature of their sponsor that surprised me at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                              Im surprised you were even interested in the evenings transfers being more of a die hard UCD fan.
                              Ah now Oscar, I never claimed diehard status there and you well know it! I expect I'll see more games this season than ever before mind given my change over to a night shift before the start of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                Breakfast club is good.
                                Pretty much anything from John Hughes is 80s gold

And we obv have a different point of reference for "in bits"
                                in bits = stick from the lads in the pub
                                Must check out some of his other stuff.

And yes it does seem we have polar oposite to what "in bits" means.

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                I've had this cure. This link you posted t'other day has kept me sane after beats lately! Tyvm. Just going back through season 1 atm. Epic stuff.

http://tvdex.org/shows/jersey-shore/...rdwalk-blowups
                                As I said im here to spread the good word

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                To be fair without the thousands of dollars worth of make-up, stylists, clothes, etc which most girls that you or I would meet out I reckon I'd be dishing out the stick. Big man head on her.
                                I applaud this post

One of the sites I read he referes to her as "hackjob squareness"
                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                  Fwiw I've never claimed to be a die hard barca fan, or even a fan. I'd rather see shelbourne be promoted than barca win the treble, i support one team and it isn't barca
                                  That surprises me given the nature and frequency of Barcelona related posting, but fair enough.

Comment

Must check out some of his other stuff.
                                    I'd say you've seen loads, just don't know its him. He was the writer (and often director too) of the likes of National Lampoon's European Vacation, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club, Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Uncle Buck, Home Alone and the breakfast club

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                    meh, still would in a heartbeat tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                      Havent commented on the whole transfer saga yet but for some strange reason I get the feeling that people at liverpool seem to believe bringing in carroll can somehow put liverpool back into the top 4 this season. Why else would they do it? Really doesnt make sense otherwise imo.

Torres was going to leave so they save on his wages, carroll can be bought in the summer for a lot cheaper as unlikely he would top 20 million plus his 80k a week is saved on too so unless they feel he makes the difference there doesnt seem to be much point in doing it for such a large fee imo.

No other team that would be interested in him next summer would have the same prestige or pedigree of liverpool. Chelsea,United,Arsenal,City would not be interested. Spurs probably and then that means its a two horse race between them to sign him. I think most people are agreed that its highly unlikely spurs will get champions league football this season so they wouldnt have an advantage in that regards. This premiership season no one seems to want to it. Chelsea believe they can catch united and are 10 points behind, Liverpool are only 9 points from 4th and maybe there is a chance.

Panic buys are always something to be afraid of and if i were a liverpool supporter (shudder) I think i would be much happier holding onto the cash for another 6 months plus the savings through the wage bill and making a real go at revolutionising the squad because there are lots of players out there available at reasonable prices.

Agüero, Forlán, Llorente, Rossi and fabiano were just 5 people spurs were linked to. All of them bar Aguero will be cheaper than carroll was now and probably Forlan and Rossi would be cheaper than he will be in the summer. That is a much bigger pool of talent to choose from and non insane prices either.

Everyone knows that since 50 million was being thrown around for torres regardless of whom they tried to buy the price was going to be highly inflated just like when city,madrid,barca and chelsea of old come looking to buy a player. The smart thing to do was accept the money, come out and say it is being put back into the club etc and that a certain amount is made available. English clubs remind me of teenagers from a few years back getting some cash and spunking it all on motorola V3's and an ipod then creaming themselves when newer versions came out. they just need to relax and stop trying to be cool.
                                      This was the last window in which you could spend money without it effecting the club negatively going forward under the new financial rules. Basically all clubs will start on some sort of equal footing in the new fiscal term with regards transfers. This means while Man City won't start by having to try and recover a deficit of 20 billion or however much they have spent, on the flip side Liverpool can't carry the profit of £50m from this window into the next to be spent in whatever way they like without it negatively impacting on them under the new rules.

Once the money was spent within this window it didn't matter hence the reason for the rash nature of the purchase. This all sounds retarded to me but it does tie in with what I have read and its what people on other forums have been saying all day today.

The pool of talent you mention has only one player who comes close to the kind of criteria Liverpool would have been trying to cover when look for a striker and I don't think he is even gettable.

Rossi -

Agüero - He has just signed a new contract so no chance at the moment and being realistic Liverpool would find it very hard to lure him given the watchful eyes from other clubs interested.

Forlán or Fabiano would never be sanctioned given that youth is now a key driving factor in how FSG have said they will be buying going forward.

Llorente is the only player on that list which would have been seen as a realistic option but reports suggest Real already have a gentlemens agreement to take him at the end of this season. Even if he does go anywhere else its going to be for in the region of at least £35m/£40m

We got taken for a ride no two ways about it but if we were determined to buy a striker and it needed to be done within this window given that the Torres situation only arose a few days before the end of the window Carroll may have been one of very few options.

Its hard to get my head around the fact that he is the most expensive player ever under 23 but considering Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, and Reina were all around that age when they signed and the first three are now great examples of the potential resale value when you take a risk and buy the player young.

I have to say I am more worried about the fee due to his extra curricular activities than anything else.

Opr

Comment

Stupid football.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Oz weather is crazy at the minute

It's currently 42 degrees in Sydney, 40 by the coast.
                                          It's set to hit 44 tomorrow

At the sametime there is a Cat 4 hurricaine (second highest category there is) about to hit queensland tomorrow night. Luckily, i'm not in Qld,

Comment

Acorrding to bom.gov.au it's now 26 here, it was 39 at 11. Melbourne's mad.

Comment

A long fought battle but I have eventually retained my Tetris title from Kayroo, please don't beat this one, it took so long to get it....

Comment

Delighted to see the new Carvalho, David Luiz, is now a Chelsea player. This season is just a blip on our way to domination.

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
                                                  This year we will experience 4 unique dates.... 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11 .........

NOW go figure this out.... take the last 2 digits of the year you were born plus the age you will be this year and it WILL EQUAL .... 111!
                                                  I'm pretty sure the world is fucked if nobody has been born since the year 2000

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Also, why you wear my badge icky ?
                                                    I'm still disappointed to find you're not following WW
                                                    Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Mornin' Icawus

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                        Mornin' Icawus
                                                        Good mawning comwade.

Comment

LOL at Barca moving sponsorship from Unicef to Qatar. Classy.

All of youse sanctimonious Barca fans can stick that right up your too pure to piss Gash.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                            A long fought battle but I have eventually retained my Tetris title from Kayroo, please don't beat this one, it took so long to get it....
                                                            You sir, are one sick individual.

Comment

Footbaaaaaaaaaaaaal

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pow3d1Po90k&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Just listened to a 30 minute interview with Enda Kenny on Newstalk, it depresses me that he will be taoiseach next.

Comment

Is it safe to come out yet or are we going to listen to this transfer drivel ALL day as well. Go fives a Funk about who paid what for who. It's a fkn game and the money spent on one player is just stupid. How the fk can they justify millions for a guy who runs about a grass pitch and can get his legs broke and career gone in minutes.

You are all fkn mental!

I am not referring to a single player, just the amount a club will pay for one. No one is worth that sort of money imo

Running for cover now lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                    Is it safe to come out yet or are we going to listen to this transfer drivel ALL day as well. Go fives a Funk about who paid what for who. It's a fkn game and the money spent on one player is just stupid. How the fk can they justify millions for a guy who runs about a grass pitch and can get his legs broke and career gone in minutes.

You are all fkn mental!

I am not referring to a single player, just the amount a club will pay for one. No one is worth that sort of money imo

Think of football players as shoes and you might get the idea

Comment

You are all fkn mental!

Because the clubs makes millions, the players attract the fans, that brings in the money. So the players cost loads and get paid too much but if they don't some muppet in a suit pockets it.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

This is what a real hero looks like http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281...gainst-40-men/

Cliffs from AH

Cliffs:
                                                                      - Soldier on a train stormed by 40 armed robbers with knives & guns
                                                                      - Robbers tried to rape 18 y/o girl
                                                                      - Soldier intervenes, uses knife to kill 3 and injure 8
                                                                      - the rest of the robbers flee

Comment

Ugh Sky have re shuffled the Channels order.

I thought Sky Atlantic would be 108 is it launched tonight?

Comment

Have to change my screen saver this morning

Also will really miss the "we're gonna bounce in a minute, bounce in a minute" prelude to the Torres song in the Park bar across from the KOP, great craic.

Ah well, thanks for the good times Nando. Hope your hamstring holds up

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                            Ugh Sky have re shuffled the Channels order.

I thought Sky Atlantic would be 108 is it launched tonight?
                                                                            Yar its out tonight. Showing Boardwalk Empire at 9 i think

Comment

This is good

Apparently it translates as "Mubarak Go Already, My arm is aching"

The other thing that no one has mentioned that Tahir Square probably has a lower body count in the last week than average because the lethal traffic normally around there.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                Have to change my screen saver this morning

Also will really miss the "we're gonna bounce in a minute, bounce in a minute" prelude to the Torres song in the Park bar across from the KOP, great craic.

Ah well, thanks for the good times Nando. Hope your hamstring holds up
                                                                                The bouncy is great craic at least you will still do that.
                                                                                Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                Yar its out tonight. Showing Boardwalk Empire at 9 i think
                                                                                Cool, gona be a great channel.

Comment

You are all fkn mental!

But the big wages keep lots of women out of the kitchen and into proper paying jobs like escorts and strippers and keep brothels thriving.

Comment

Is it safe to come back in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                      Just about

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                        Safe til end of August.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                                          But the big wages keep lots of women out of the kitchen and into proper paying jobs like escorts and strippers and keep brothels thriving.
                                                                                          not to mention NOTW touts!
                                                                                          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Most of the those prima donna football players are a bunch of women anyway so I'm sure there's a bit of ironing to be done in the midst of all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                              I'm still disappointed to find you're not following WW
                                                                                              Someday...in the very far future maybe.

Ah, see you are back to normal now, carry on...
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                Someday...in the very far future maybe.

Ah, see you are back to normal now, carry on...
                                                                                                We'll have to think up some kind of prop bet to draw you in.

Comment

Think of football players as shoes and you might get the idea
                                                                                                  >

Comment

I keep getting emails from blackmoonpoker and they have no unsubscribe button, no idea how they even got my email address to start with.

Comment

you want to walk around with your foot stuck in Carlos Tevez?
                                                                                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                        you want to walk around with your foot stuck in Carlos Tevez?
                                                                                                        Don't dis the Manolo's

He is one ugly fuck, isn't he.

Comment

Is it possible to get a bet on Utd scoring exactly 3 goals against Villa tonight?

I don't care if or what Villa do, just Utd getting 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                            cowen not standing
                                                                                                            fell off his bar stool again?

FFS
                                                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                                              We'll have to think up some kind of prop bet to draw you in.
                                                                                                              Better chance of me posting like a loon on transfer day imo !!
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

...
                                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...
                                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Bobby View Post
                                                                                                                    If it hadn't ended so badly, it's some level of service that Cowen put in, given that he's only 51:
                                                                                                                    I suppose bankrupting the country does put a slight shadow over his earlier shining list of noteworthy achievements

Comment

Is it possible to get a bet on Utd scoring exactly 3 goals against Villa tonight?

I don't care if or what Villa do, just Utd getting 3.
                                                                                                                      Paddypower > United match > Specials > Number of team goals

Man Utd to Score Exactly 3 Goals
                                                                                                                      10/3

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Bobby View Post
                                                                                                                        Apparently his Councillor brother might be running in his place, so all is not lost!
                                                                                                                        the quote apparently was:

"there'll always be a Cowen from Clara" for FF in the Dail

something for the Biffos like Gimmeabreak to hold onto in these troubling times . Classic case of 'threat or promise?' imo

Comment

Hopefully someone might be able to help with this.

I lost my car keys on Saturday night in the back of a taxi and I didnt have the car long so I hadn't had a chance to get a spare key. I need the chassis number to get a new key but unfortunately the log book is in the car and I cant get into the car to get the number from underneath the bonnet.

Does anyone know if you can get the chassis number from the department of transport etc ?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X