• Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
        good watch,

looked up that shane perez guy he met on the bridge, some interesting pictures alot of them can't be linked off his site

nsfw
        SPOILER

He's lookin' well.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
          Going to not be drinking for the next year - need to get things done for the kid, so having the last night of drunkenness for ages. gf gone to sleep though after seeing Medevev's (?) presidential new year address at 9pm russian new year.

Have some wine, beer, and whiskey; going out in style.

btw happy birthday CHD!
          Working out well I see.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              you need to invite rounders along next time for reportage
              Oh yeah, ha ha 7-0...

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                Oh yeah, ha ha 7-0...
                we were lucky to get 0 by all accounts

saving ourselves to thrash Arsenal tomorrow night obv.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Playing the first 'multi entry' tourney on FT. Very imaginative from them. Have my max 4 entries in. Lets see how it goes.
                  Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                    I can't imagine you posting the story if you just had a cheeky gawk at your housemate's bird. Also if he's a housemate, I would have thought the general idea is to try stay friendly with them, not piss them off and have to avoid them if you live with them!
                    You can try spin this any way you want, but what you did was pretty scummy imo.
                    Originally posted by Valor View Post
                    Hooking up with your roommates girlfriend is ridiculously low and there's no defence for it, and likening it to looking at girls on the street who might have a boyfriend is fucking retarded
                    Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                    Ye, HH is looking more and more like a sociopath to be honest, not only the roommate but what about the pregnant girlfriend? You'd know you were once involved with student politics.
                    If she's throwing herself at you there's only one thing to do tbh, and for all the posturing online after the event few if any of us would do any different, especially if she has a kinky uniform on (btw hurry up with the pics)

Think of it as doing him a favour and saving him from her immoral ways before marriage & kids are involved.
                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

God help if its a girl HH i can imagine in 18 years time you hitting on a couple of her friends

Comment

Iago

Don't you know Poker players mix and match their morals, even Catholic priests consider them hypocritical.

'Like a rat up a drainpipe' is the expression you were missing though.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                            God help if its a girl HH i can imagine in 18 years time you hitting on a couple of her friends
                            Well Fran, how is that girl who fell over in your place? Still wearing the same drawers?

Comment

One of my ex's was a student nurse. I was very much looking forward to a bitta jiggerry pokery in the nurses uniform.

Imagine my disgust when I collected her from her first day and she looked like she was dressed as a carebear who'd lost a shit tonne of weight, and who's skin no longer fit.

Nurses uniforms are glorified onesies

Comment

hmm ste05 sending spam emails (ty avg)
                                Yeah soz about that... pretty annoying having to work out how it could have happened...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                  Anybody recommend me a decent book on psychology for the interested lay person?

Something readable but not completely flimsy...

Possibly too vague a request but any suggestions welcome
                                  Sigh, where's Hotspur when you need him?

Anybody?

Comment

Anybody?
                                    If you go to that book club thread, I think Hotspur recommends a bunch in there

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                      If you go to that book club thread, I think Hotspur recommends a bunch in there
                                      Didn't know such a thread existed, I'll have a look.

TY.

Comment

Didn't know such a thread existed, I'll have a look.

TY.
                                        A good book to try is "The Man who mistook his wife for a Hat": [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Mistook-His-Wife/dp/0684853949[/ame]

I'm also a huge fan of any of Malcolm Gladwell's books, nice and easy to read for lay people.

Comment

If anyone knows where that bookclub thread is I'd be obliged...

Even remeber what the title was, no joy in the search so far...

Comment

If anyone knows where that bookclub thread is I'd be obliged...

Even remeber what the title was, no joy in the search so far...
                                            It was in the old place, the worst ever thread in the history of the boards.ie poker forum
                                            http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623942
                                            Forget KevIrl launching daily raids on CountToAMillion, or Lloyd regularly starting 'stick it up your gash admins' threads in the mod forums. Forget all that, Bookclub is the real reason we had to leave.

Comment

The book club.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiend View Post
                                                Playing the first 'multi entry' tourney on FT. Very imaginative from them. Have my max 4 entries in. Lets see how it goes.
                                                All 4 of my horses still in at the break. I'd say this tourney style is going to be very popular
                                                Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Hey folks. New blog post if you fancy a quick read. http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/20...-thoughts.html
                                                  http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
                                                  http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                    Lose a little gain in the long run!
                                                    How many people - if they could go back to their pre poker days - would take up the game again?

To be fair, I probably would (especially as it helped pay for my phd), but I'm not sure I want to get back into poker now - especially when the fun of it is gone for me.....

obv you go. just say at the start that you're big in Limerick poker - if you win they go 'ah well, he's big in Limerick poker, what could we do?', and if you lose then they'll think 'my god, can't believe we beat the Wayne Dundon of Limerick poker'. win win etc.
                                                    Funnily enough, I think I've only played poker in Limerick on a handful of occasions (outside home games with friends).

Heck, I'm not even particularly good at the game!

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                    If you had a gambling problem, dont.

If you just fell out of love with the game or it crushed you on the inside, I highly recommend jumping back on that ship. Nothing worse than running off the pier when the ship has left the harbor.
                                                    No gambling problem, just fell out of love with the game (grinding a couple of tables online ruined the fun of it for me) and had to prioritise college so poker was easy to give up.

And I havent really missed it much the past while tbh, hence my reluctance to get back into it. On the other hand though, this seems to be a great opportunity, career wise.

Comment

Anybody?
                                                      Sorry haven't been reading BBV as diligently as usual over the past couple of days.

What was your thinking which lead to you to want to read a psychology book? It's a diverse area, if you tell me what had you fancying reading one I can better advise you.

Comment

Wiilie discusses Hitchhiker in the bookclub thread...

Originally posted by YULETIRED
                                                        . The fact that this notion was to allow a dice dictate his actions was interesting, however his descent into extreme debauchery shows that once we change the moral rules we live by, our primal desires can take over, it wasn't the dice dictating it was him using it to justify him carrying out his up to now subconscious desires.

It is not the choices we make it's the choices we ask ourselves to make that shows how near or far away we are from insanity. Tonight my choices are, go to the pictures, go drinking , or rape some woman who lives downstairs, inserting the latter option makes me a madman, although at todays prices so do the 1st 2.
                                                        My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                          It was in the old place, the worst ever thread in the history of the boards.ie poker forum
                                                          http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623942
                                                          Forget KevIrl launching daily raids on CountToAMillion, or Lloyd regularly starting 'stick it up your gash admins' threads in the mod forums. Forget all that, Bookclub is the real reason we had to leave.
                                                          Genuine lol, TY

Comment

The HH argument is obviously irrelevant withouts pics of the nurse

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                              Sorry haven't been reading BBV as diligently as usual over the past couple of days.

What was your thinking which lead to you to want to read a psychology book? It's a diverse area, if you tell me what had you fancying reading one I can better advise you.
                                                              Yeah I figured there wouldn't be a catch-all answer.

Watching the Sopranos lately and found it interesting how Melfi tells Tony he's choosing to interact with joyless, unpleasable women because that's what his mother was like, and how seeing his father chop off a guy's finger affected him later and that sort of thing.

I guess I'm interested in how our early life affects us later on mainly...

Comment

Girl at work just rang to say her husband allowed the scammers access to her laptop (they said broadband issues).

Whats the best course of action? Complete wipe of laptop or that too much?

Comment

Divorce.

Comment

I am in the "find out when it pops out" brigrade, it ruins the suprise finding out in advance

Did anyone watch that programme on Channel 4 last night about Britains Fattest Man. I found myself cursing down the telly at the guy. He is costing the UK Tax payer a 100k a year, continually stuffing shit down his gob circa 20k calories a day, got his mothers house repossed as she remortaged for him so he could buy more food, gets to have costly surgery for freeand starts crying at every opportunity when things don't go his way.
                                                                    I know there are genuine people out there that suffer with their weight but i felt outraged for some reason by this guy as he seemed like a lazy fucking chancer. And before people jump in and say the guy has a disease i don't buy it for one minute the simple fact he is a kebab eating machine. End rant.
                                                                    How much is the uk taxpayer spending on drug addicts or prisoners? The guy is an addict and the nanny state can't help itself spending money on him. Where does the real problem lie?
                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                      Girl at work just rang to say her husband allowed the scammers access to her laptop (they said broadband issues).

Whats the best course of action? Complete wipe of laptop or that too much?
                                                                      Give Zod a shout IMO, said he'd take care of any computer issues in Dublin for serious discount.

I think a wipe is using a sword to get rid of a toenail, it'll work, but there'll be collateral. Reinstall of windows may not even be necessary.

Few slaps for the husband optional

Comment

this HH smells of reverso

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                          Give Zod a shout IMO, said he'd take care of any computer issues in Dublin for serious discount.

I think a wipe is using a sword to get rid of a toenail, it'll work, but there'll be collateral. Reinstall of windows may not even be necessary.

Few slaps for the husband optional
                                                                          I'd imagine she has very little on it, maybe a few photos, so I'll prob just wipe the thing and put office back on. I know its a bit ott but peace of mind for her, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by K1NG View Post
                                                                            How many people - if they could go back to their pre poker days - would take up the game again?

To be fair, I probably would (especially as it helped pay for my phd), but I'm not sure I want to get back into poker now - especially when the fun of it is gone for me.....

Funnily enough, I think I've only played poker in Limerick on a handful of occasions (outside home games with friends).

Heck, I'm not even particularly good at the game!

No gambling problem, just fell out of love with the game (grinding a couple of tables online ruined the fun of it for me) and had to prioritise college so poker was easy to give up.

And I havent really missed it much the past while tbh, hence my reluctance to get back into it. On the other hand though, this seems to be a great opportunity, career wise.
                                                                            lol, people taking it serious and not enjoying it, what's there not to enjoy with friends or such it just a social gathering and instead of using drink, you play cards

I honestly think i would have got into playing it, i enjoy everytime i play! online live tourny cash it's never felt like a job even when i had it as one, i never had it feeling like i was grinding! you may get the taste for it if you just play social again and if you do keep it social, with the odd semi serious tourny thrown in and you never know what could happen....

Comment

this HH smells of reverso
                                                                              LOL, no nothing like that. I wiped this woman's laptop for her some years back so she instantly rang me again.

When I said whats on it, she said "you should know, sure you set it up for me". LOL.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                  How much is the uk taxpayer spending on drug addicts or prisoners? The guy is an addict and the nanny state can't help itself spending money on him. Where does the real problem lie?
                                                                                  If you overfeed your child to the point that they baloon and require your constant attention, Is this called Munchhousing?

Comment

LOL, no nothing like that. I wiped this woman's laptop for her some years back so she instantly rang me again.

When I said whats on it, she said "you should know, sure you set it up for me". LOL.
                                                                                    eh, unlikely the scammers actually did anything to the machine, the idea for them is to to connect remotely and poke about like they know what they are doing, then bill you for it.

Stick on Microsoft Security Essentials, run a sweep and see if it picks up anything.
                                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                      I would guess a hell of a lot more Olly if i am being honest. What annoyed me was his expectance for people to run around after him, cook his food and feed his habit whilst all he had to do is keep shovelling the shit down his gob.
                                                                                      You could say that in this case the problem lies squarely with the individual. In saying that if you know you can get wheeled in and get the necessary surgery done for free then the NHS and Government play a part also.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                        If you overfeed your child to the point that they baloon and require your constant attention, Is this called Munchhousing?
                                                                                        Don't get me started on parents overfeeding kids or i could literally go off on one. Me and the missus have differing views on it as i see it as a form of negligence on the parents behalf to allow such a situation to arise.

Comment

I would guess a hell of a lot more Olly if i am being honest. What annoyed me was his expectance for people to run around after him, cook his food and feed his habit whilst all he had to do is keep shovelling the shit down his gob.
                                                                                          You could say that in this case the problem lies squarely with the individual. In saying that if you know you can get wheeled in and get the necessary surgery done for free then the NHS and Government play a part also.
                                                                                          so incentivise the fat fucker to eat healthy and keep his lardy arse out of the health system

either pay him directly or else penalise him by witholding some benefits

that'll learn 'im

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                            Whoever said watching poker after dark in 720p was the nuts is correct!
                                                                                            Thank you thank you

Originally posted by GrangeUtd View Post
                                                                                            A really big thanks who whoever was recommending Party Down on here yesterday. Im already 3/4 way through season 1. Its very good.
                                                                                            Yeah its brilliant hit up Community after it and you will be loving it.
                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Don't get me started on parents overfeeding kids or i could literally go off on one. Me and the missus have differing views on it as i see it as a form of negligence on the parents behalf to allow such a situation to arise.
                                                                                              but growing healthy children are also bottomless pits

the main thing is to give them a reasonable diet (good luck trying to keep them sweet-free ) and make sure they get loads of exercise

Comment

Yeah I figured there wouldn't be a catch-all answer.

Watching the Sopranos lately and found it interesting how Melfi tells Tony he's choosing to interact with joyless, unpleasable women because that's what his mother was like, and how seeing his father chop off a guy's finger affected him later and that sort of thing.

I guess I'm interested in how our early life affects us later on mainly...
                                                                                                Good answer, I know exactly where we're at so. Attachment theory. As the founder of the theory John Bowlby once famously wrote "Attachment behaviour characterises human beings from the cradle to the grave."

One difficulty with a good book to recommend is that there are few books on the topic written for the general public. And most of the academic ones would be very difficult to understand because it intersects with psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts are a bunch of pricks in their writing in that it is very difficult to read because they are full of references only people who have studies psychoanalysis would get.

I've read a couple of good attachment theory books over the past 2 months - The search for the secure bas by Jeremy Holmes, and Attachment in psychotherapy by David Wallin, but they are both quite applied books in respect of using it in psychotherapy.

Perusing what is available I think the best bet is probably John Bowlby and attachment theory by Jeremy Holmes. I have only flicked through it myself, and Holmes does succumb to being a wanker in respect of the psychoanalytic stuff, but I think it's worth a shot. If you want to check it out before buying you can download it from this link:
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                http://rapidshare.com/#!download|49l33|147547645|0415077303.zip|1691

Jump to page 67 and see what you think.

Attachment theory is an extremely important theory, it has a lot of empirical support, and informs a lot of understanding about why we behave the way we do in relation to other people. You will also likely get a lot of self-understanding if you engage in the topic with an autobiographical perspective in mind.

If you like it you may actually enjoy the first 2 of the 3 parts of the book Attachment in psychotherapy by Wallin which explain it extremely well, you can download that book with this link:
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                http://www.filestube.com/77ed3dcf1370fa8c03e9/go.html

Comment

Yevgeniy Timoshenko is a pretty impressive player, is Hellmuth having little digs at JC Tran in the Premier League Poker or am I just imagining it? JC carries himself very well.

Of coarse FullFlush is a bender!
                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    Good answer, I know exactly where we're at so. Attachment theory. As the founder of the theory John Bowlby once famously wrote "Attachment behaviour characterises human beings from the cradle to the grave."

One difficulty with a good book to recommend is that there are few books on the topic written for the general public. And most of the academic ones would be very difficult to understand because it intersects with psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts are a bunch of pricks in their writing in that it is very difficult to read because they are full of references only people who have studies psychoanalysis would get.

I've read a couple of good attachment theory books over the past 2 months - The search for the secure bas by Jeremy Holmes, and Attachment in psychotherapy by David Wallin, but they are both quite applied books in respect of using it in psychotherapy.

Perusing what is available I think the best bet is probably John Bowlby and attachment theory by Jeremy Holmes. I have only flicked through it myself, and Holmes does succumb to being a wanker in respect of the psychoanalytic stuff, but I think it's worth a shot. If you want to check it out before buying you can download it from this link:
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|49l33|147547645|0415077303.zip|1691

Jump to page 67 and see what you think.

Attachment theory is an extremely important theory, it has a lot of empirical support, and informs a lot of understanding about why we behave the way we do in relation to other people. You will also likely get a lot of self-understanding if you engage in the topic with an autobiographical perspective in mind.

If you like it you may actually enjoy the first 2 of the 3 parts of the book Attachment in psychotherapy by Wallin which explain it extremely well, you can download that book with this link:
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    http://www.filestube.com/77ed3dcf1370fa8c03e9/go.html
                                                                                                    Thanks a lot man.

That first book looks pretty much spot on. I have a feeling even after reading a couple of paragraphs that the self-understanding will come at the price of epic facepalming and cringing tbh, but fuck it - it'll be good for me!

I'm also going to order two of the books you suggested on the thread on boards:

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life & An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis, as both seem pretty interesting as well.

Comment

so incentivise the fat fucker to eat healthy and keep his lardy arse out of the health system

either pay him directly or else penalise him by witholding some benefits

that'll learn 'im
                                                                                                      Or alternativley only give him healthy food. He is a fat fucker so its not as if he wont eat it and if he cant or wont leave his own place then whats he gonna do go on a hunger strike. Sounds like it would take him weeks to waste away

Comment

Any of you folks know much about mortgage applications? I'll be looking to buy possibly this year but I don't have a permanent contract and I'm wondering how much of a stumbling block that could be. I do have a consistent income history going back to when I started my PhD in 2002 and when I finished in 2005 I've been in pretty much consistent employment since then in various institutions and will have 2 more years gtd when it comes to application time.

Comment

Anybody have/played Assasins Creed Brotherhood? Got it as an Xmas gift and haven't opened it yet. Is it any use?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                            Any of you folks know much about mortgage applications? I'll be looking to buy possibly this year but I don't have a permanent contract and I'm wondering how much of a stumbling block that could be. I do have a consistent income history going back to when I started my PhD in 2002 and when I finished in 2005 I've been in pretty much consistent employment since then in various institutions and will have 2 more years gtd when it comes to application time.
                                                                                                            I'll save you some time and frustration; forget it

the banks are looking for any excuse not to lend, that's a pretty big one

just wait, save and watch prices continue to fall. Then buy for cash.

that'll be €500 please, cash only

Comment

but growing healthy children are also bottomless pits

the main thing is to give them a reasonable diet (good luck trying to keep them sweet-free ) and make sure they get loads of exercise
                                                                                                              My poor ol mudder had trouble feeding her brood of lads when we hit the teens. The simpsons at feeding time looked like
                                                                                                              dinner with Lizzie Windsor in comparison One savage (to this day a neadrathal with the grub) would have 4 large batch slices of bread caked with butter beside his dinner plate. There is nothing you can't make a sandwich from. The dog under the table was restricted to his own feeding times as nothing ever dropped from above to his beseeching eyes below.
                                                                                                              To this day when we are all there, the mudder still shovels the food onto the table, and to cater for Mr neadrathal
                                                                                                              the fresh batch is strategically placed beside him. Sometimes I take a wee look under the table wishing the doggie was still there so I could drop him a piece of grub. The scene at the end of godfather 2 when Michael remembers them all sitting at the table reminds me of the clan at feeding time, although less dislogue and more scoffing was done.

Now that was MUNCHhousing.

Comment

I'll save you some time and frustration; forget it

the banks are looking for any excuse not to lend, that's a pretty big one

Comment

Originally posted by K1NG View Post
                                                                                                                  Dilemma: I've stopped playing poker and havent played a game in over a year at this stage. I've now been invited to join a couple of big-hitters (job wise) which would open up an excellent network of contacts that I would never have access to otherwise. Only been invited to join the game through the husband of a friend of a work colleague. To play or not to play - that is the question........
                                                                                                                  Friend of mine who is a relatively good poker player worked at the time for goldman sachs in NYC. They were on a team building trip, turned into a big poker event. Company put 500$ in for each player, large kitty . . .

He was heads up with his bosses boss, had trip Aces, boss shoved all in, now Tonys boss shook his head to fold - tony obliged. Came second . . . He told me this story about 3 years ago. Sickens me yet i admire him, still dont think i could do it.

(same guy has now been headhunted by another firm and is going very well for himself.)

Go to the event, enjoy it, use it as a chance to befriend those playing with, it doesnt have to be a regular thing, and if it turns into it, just ask is it ok if you just play once a month. Attending is a must though

Originally posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
                                                                                                                  Anybody have/played Assasins Creed Brotherhood? Got it as an Xmas gift and haven't opened it yet. Is it any use?
                                                                                                                  Song on the add sold it to me!!

If you have it on the PS3 ship it my way when finished!
                                                                                                                  GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                    it's good news!

why would you want to buy now?

Comment

How do you get the password for your internet if youve never used it before. Im with eircom fwiw.

Comment

it's good news!

why would you want to buy now?
                                                                                                                        Reasons are personal rather than financial really. tbh it wouldn't be til the end of the year anyhow.
                                                                                                                        Its so annoying how the country was being run like the Beastie Boys' Fight for Your Right to Party video for so long and the upshot is that sensible people who knew 1000 euro weeks making lego wouldn't last forever end up getting the door closed in their face when it comes crashing down. Oh well, at least I've a job and a bigger net worth than most of the lego men

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                                                                          How do you get the password for your internet if youve never used it before. Im with eircom fwiw.
                                                                                                                          Is for the WEP ie, wireless or to access the router?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X