X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    This is almost all correct.

Only flaw is that the runners up in the FA Cup get the Europa Cup place if the winners have already qualified for Europe (and the runners up haven't).
    Only the League Cup place auto-reverts to the EPL positions.
    Ah, that makes sense because I did remember Millwall having a brief UEFA Cup run and they where only FA cup runners up.
    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
      for once CHD I agree with you. But I think the point I was making was missed. How can anyone Irish support Rangers.............................they don't have to support Celtic.........but never Rangers
      Catholic and Irish

Yeah you are right, but the core of people we are talking about are mainly fools and not football fans so I have no time for any of them when it comes to football.

Comment

I was gonna have a rant but I'm in foul humour and I don't feel like it. Maybe this is a rant about not ranting, fcuk the whole world anyways
        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
          I was gonna have a rant but I'm in foul humour and I don't feel like it. Maybe this is a rant about not ranting, fcuk the whole world anyways
          I had to stop myself before I ranted. +1 on fuck the world. I'm going to talk football in the United thread instead, always fun.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            When I was a teenager I preferred Rangers because I think they had won 9 times in a row or something. It wasn't until I was about 16 that I realised my parents' disgraceful dereliction of Irish parental duties in failing to inculcate in me a hatred of British, Prods, dirty foreigners, people who are different etc. Not liking GAA or listening to history school teachers helped too.

But then again I'm not "truly Irish".
            I love how careca thanked this.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              Right on. Shootouts are an awful way to finish things! Game is much better played 4 on 4 IMO
              Aye. The extra time period was a much better spectacle.
              Still, the issue of being unable to ever see the puck is going to stop me watching it regularly.

Comment

Playing the $15k gtd on stars (prizepool $40k fwiw) but blinds just gone 900/1800 with a 225 ante....sick little structure!

Comment

All the hype around Invictus - it's pretty crap

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                    Seems no refs have any backbones anymore. They all buckle under pressure, panic and bottle it.
                    have you ever tried to referee a match? Its nothing to do with bottle, its to do with lines of sight and memory. Its a really hard job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      have you ever tried to referee a match? Its nothing to do with bottle, its to do with lines of sight and memory. Its a really hard job.
                      It's hardly nothing to do with bottle in fairness or a pre season game would be as easy to referee as a champions league final, bottle is a huge part of it. Ofc simple human error accounts for most mistakes fans scream blue murder about, but the simple fact is some refs can't handle refereeing big games and bow to the pressure in making certain decisons also.
                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

This isn't some amateur game with Mickey Joe the volunteer reffing the match, this is a professional referee with two linesman who are paid good money to be fit enough to keep up with the play.

Anybody can make a mistake but the amount of horrendous errors made yesterday was calamitous at best.
                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

This for sure.

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                          It's hardly nothing to do with bottle in fairness or a pre season game would be as easy to referee as a champions league final, bottle is a huge part of it. Ofc simple human error accounts for most mistakes fans scream blue murder about, but the simple fact is some refs can't handle refereeing big games and bow to the pressure in making certain decisons also.
                          I completed an FAI Referee course about 8 years ago and refereed a handful of games once i qualified and it's one of the most daunting things ever. In junior games where you don't even have linesmen to help with offside decisions, it's a job where you have nowhere to hide.

I have to admit that about 25% of the decisions i made where based on the reactions of the players and the supporters

Comment

demonoid registration is open to anyone who wants it

Comment

I have quite a few times. United match today, peno after 5 mins. Vidic didn't even get booked for a sendable off offence.

Ref bottled it.

It is a tough job, these guys are meant to be the best though.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                I have quite a few times. United match today, peno after 5 mins. Vidic didn't even get booked for a sendable off offence.

Ref bottled it.

It is a tough job, these guys are meant to be the best though.
                                It's a fair point, human error is one thing. Like the ref in Ireland v France who missed the handball, if he doesn't see it he can't call it, sucks that it happened to us but whatever...But errors in judgement are a different thing, and today in the Man U Villa match, the referee saw everything and made the wrong decision, that is beyond excuse and isn't human error. The occasion and perhaps the pressure that comes with refereeing a game Ferguson is involved in got to him.

Speaking of refereeing, anyone see Atletico v Valencia today? That could be a whole can of worms opened
                                Last edited by Sledgejammer; 01-03-10, 01:03.
                                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                  I completed an FAI Referee course about 8 years ago and refereed a handful of games once i qualified and it's one of the most daunting things ever. In junior games where you don't even have linesmen to help with offside decisions, it's a job where you have nowhere to hide.

I have to admit that about 25% of the decisions i made where based on the reactions of the players and the supporters
                                  My dad was a ref for a good 25 odd years in the juniors, mainly in the amateur football league. I remember he was doing 1 of the cup finals in the main AFL complex. I watched on the roof of 1 of the dugouts and 1 of the people below me in the dugout called him a right bollox. I was around 6 and was totally shocked that someone would say a thing about my dad. I told my mam when we gone home but used the term "oxball" They found it absolutely hilarious. I was so confused for years!

Comment

It's a fair point, human error is one thing. Like the ref in Ireland v France who missed the handball, if he doesn't see it he can't call it, sucks that it happened to us but whatever...But errors in judgement are a different thing, and today in the Man U Villa match, the referee saw everything and made the wrong decision, that is beyond excuse and isn't human error. The occasion and perhaps the pressure that comes with refereeing a game Ferguson is involved in got to him.

Speaking of refereeing, anyone see Atletico v Valencia today? That could be a whole can of worms opened
                                    What happened in La Liiiiiiiiiiiiga?

Comment

Atletico have a blatant penalty turned down, neither linesman nor ref give it, they swarm the ref, Valencia counter attack, ball goes out for a throw in a good thirty odd seconds later and the fourth official, who may have even seen it on TV (That was hinted at by the commentary team, was probably idle speculation but I wasn't really listening so I don't know), gets the referees attention...Penalty given and Valencia reduced to ten men...

Which was the correct decision, but I can't imagine it'll go down well. Kind of a good argument for video evidence mind you, referee missed a huge incident and was corrected by someone without the match getting majorly disturbed

Comment

SnGs dont come much quicker than this. Headsup after 19 minutes ftw!

Comment

This isn't some amateur game with Mickey Joe the volunteer reffing the match, this is a professional referee with two linesman who are paid good money to be fit enough to keep up with the play.
                                          It doesn't matter how much you pay someone, they can't see through players or slow down time, which are the two main reasons for mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                            My dad was a ref for a good 25 odd years in the juniors, mainly in the amateur football league. I remember he was doing 1 of the cup finals in the main AFL complex. I watched on the roof of 1 of the dugouts and 1 of the people below me in the dugout called him a right bollox. I was around 6 and was totally shocked that someone would say a thing about my dad. I told my mam when we gone home but used the term "oxball" They found it absolutely hilarious. I was so confused for years!
                                            Yes it is a thankless job for sure. Ive played football mainly in the amateur league for the last 10 years. I might know your Dad if it was in the same timeframe and also probably called him a bollox on few occasions(under my breath of course)

I done the FAI referees course when i was about 17 and reffed a few kids matches. The abuse from the parents on the sideline was unreal. I used to ref senior freindlies pre-season much easier than the kids. I never did it for long cause i played football and it interfered with that. Although it did give me a great insight into refereeing and a lot more respect for most of them and i think it is something that all players in the academies should be made do and ref a few matches. I think it would change a lot of players atittiudes towards referees.

Comment

Thats a great idea

Comment

Uh huh.
                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It doesn't matter how much you pay someone, they can't see through players or slow down time, which are the two main reasons for mistakes.
                                                  They have three guys looking at every play, thats three different angles. If they are up with the play, as they should be, then at least one of the three should have an unobstructed view.

Comment

lol Fitz cash games.

slowrolled by a guy who thought about calling my all in on the river for at least 60 seconds with the stone cold nuts. turns out he thought i might have a straight which would obviously beat his nut flush.

Comment

I don't know if any of you have seen this before but I just love watching it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM[/ame]

Comment

Is My Best Friend's Girl any good?

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                          Is My Best Friend's Girl any good?
                                                          Any pic's of her? Bad form though.

Comment

They have three guys looking at every play, thats three different angles. If they are up with the play, as they should be, then at least one of the three should have an unobstructed view.
                                                            That's just no true. There are twenty two bodies running around, players actively trying to cheat and they get one chance, and one chance only to make a decision that can sometimes come down to a few milimeters either way. A lot of the rules these days come down to intent. So not only do they have to see what happened, they have to interpret the thinking behind the action!

How many times have you seen an incident in a match, think its either a foul or a dive, and then have the TV evidence show otherwise. Remember the ref is at ground height, along with the players. Watching sport on TV really gives you little idea what its actually like.

I think the referees (in general) do a good job in the premiership. The "mistakes" that people highlight are actually not really a problem that can be fixed. Without tv evidence you will always get referee errors, like poker they are playing in a game of incomplete information.

Comment

Just run TPTK into a set then this beauty

*** HOLE CARDS ***
                                                              Dealt to Hero [Ad Ac]
                                                              Hero: raises $1.50 to $2
                                                              stilsmokn420: folds
                                                              Vitorero: folds
                                                              Baggies2008: folds
                                                              Methenz: folds
                                                              Apollwn22: calls $1.50
                                                              *** FLOP *** [Ks 9d 7h]
                                                              Apollwn22: checks
                                                              Hero: bets $2.50
                                                              Apollwn22: calls $2.50
                                                              *** TURN *** [Ks 9d 7h] [3h]
                                                              Apollwn22: checks
                                                              Hero: bets $6.50
                                                              Apollwn22: raises $6.50 to $13
                                                              Hero: raises $11.30 to $24.30 and is all-in
                                                              Apollwn22: calls $11.30
                                                              *** RIVER *** [Ks 9d 7h 3h] [Qs]
                                                              *** SHOW DOWN ***
                                                              Apollwn22: shows [Jd Td] (a straight, Nine to King)
                                                              Hero: shows [Ad Ac] (a pair of Aces)
                                                              Apollwn22 collected $55 from pot
                                                              *** SUMMARY ***
                                                              Total pot $57.85 | Rake $2.85
                                                              Board [Ks 9d 7h 3h Qs]

Comment

New episode of High Stakes Poker is up on pokertube

Comment

Can you explain who the 3 guys are because if an incident happens in the penalty area, with possibly 20 players packed in there are only 2 officials with any kind of decent view as the other "assistant" does not pass the halfway line & the fourth official (if there is one) will be at the halfway line. As hectorjelly has said their view may be obstructed by other players etc.

In underage football the job is extremely difficult because the referee is on his own to call every decision including offside. Even linesmen / assistants can't get this one right.

Already there is an acute shortage of referees in underage levels & this in time is going to have a huge affect on how the game progresses
                                                                  Last edited by kakak1; 01-03-10, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
                                                                    for once CHD I agree with you. But I think the point I was making was missed. How can anyone Irish support Rangers.............................they don't have to support Celtic.........but never Rangers
                                                                    Supporting Chelsea is not that different to supporting Rangers.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                        It's a depressing group of people that queue at a post office at 9am in the morning.
                                                                        Mickey Monday for you HH?
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

What's a mickey monday?! (no, really)
                                                                            it's when the single mothers collect dere benefits, den drop de kids off at dere mas and go mental in the local on WKD Blue

supposedly a great day for lads looking to get a roide off young wans...thus leading to more Mickey Mondays in the future

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbQ7QRndcA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Childrens allowence

Comment

That's excellent!
                                                                                    not if your taxes are paying for it!

Comment

...

Comment

Never heard of xkcd, but I really did not want to read the word goatse on a Monday morning, as I sadly do know what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                          it's when the single mothers collect dere benefits, den drop de kids off at dere mas and go mental in the local on WKD Blue

supposedly a great day for lads looking to get a roide off young wans...thus leading to more Mickey Mondays in the future
                                                                                          Literally spat coffee all over my desk reading that, wp sir.

Comment

Comment

Isn't 'Dickie Day' the first Tuesday of the month?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirtoyou View Post
                                                                                                Isn't 'Dickie Day' the first Tuesday of the month?
                                                                                                Yep, first Tuesday, Mickey Money day, is the most important date on the financial calendar in Ireland.
                                                                                                Its the day that the really important bills get paid. All the debt collectors, shopkeepers, pawnbrokers etc have the busiest day of the month tomorrow. I get shivers down my spine when I think of the the 1980's and the misery of having to chase people for small money that they couldn't really afford. I'd be out from 10AM on the Tuesday until the end of the week trying to prioritise all the arrears and the slow payers and give them the best chance to pay up before it was gone.
                                                                                                I'm all for it as a SW payment though, it is a good thing that we allocate this money to the children, just a pity about so many of the parents being morons.
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tosh!

About 5 mins in Clough'e tells you yer talking out yer harris

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ite2W4_kJHk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ite2W4_kJHk[/ame]

Comment

Just for the monday morning to brighten is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                      I'm all for it as a SW payment though, it is a good thing that we allocate this money to the children, just a pity about so many of the parents being morons.
                                                                                                      it's a good thing that we allocate this money to the children - true

it's a bad thing that all children get this payment - true (why the hell should middle class parents get welfare allowances/)

it's a bad thing that we don't invest this money directly into the children that need it (clothing vouchers, free meals in school, better educational facilities, better play facilities etc) - true

anyway under my dictatorship, ahem democratic government, this will all be resolved nicely

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Yep, first Tuesday, Mickey Money day, is the most important date on the financial calendar in Ireland.
                                                                                                        Its the day that the really important bills get paid. All the debt collectors, shopkeepers, pawnbrokers etc have the busiest day of the month tomorrow. I get shivers down my spine when I think of the the 1980's and the misery of having to chase people for small money that they couldn't really afford. I'd be out from 10AM on the Tuesday until the end of the week trying to prioritise all the arrears and the slow payers and give them the best chance to pay up before it was gone.
                                                                                                        Thank's I can understand it being called Mickey Money Day.I thought Mickey Monday might have been a new celebration for the now abolished childcare allowance which was paid on the second Monday of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post

Just for the monday morning to brighten is up.
                                                                                                          Love this Cyanide and Happiness and xkcd talk of a monday morning

Also, delighted for Atletico getting that peno cos I had lumped on

Also, had a nice double get up on United/Ireland

If only my laptop wasn't busto I'd have had a great weekend!
                                                                                                          Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Brag: Being at Twickenham to watch Ireland stick the knife into England.

Brag: Having Reggie Corrigan sitting behind me and chatting away with him about the game between roaring myself hoarse.

Variance: Having Reggie Corrigan help himself to some of your jammie dodger biscuits at half time!!
                                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                              Variance: Having Reggie Corrigan help himself to some of your jammie dodger biscuits at half time!!
                                                                                                              did you tell him he's a fish?

why on earth did you have a packet of biscuits with you?

Comment

packed lunch obv, altho its much more GAA style and not very rugby.

Did you have hang sangwedges and a flask of tea as well Mr Vendetta?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                  packed lunch obv,
                                                                                                                  late lunch so, 'twas a 4 o'clock start

Comment

No I didn't - where is the +ev in that? I asked him where he'd be playing next. He reckons he'll play at the CPT in Clonmel...he seems to have scaled back since he took over as scrum coach at Leinster.

Are you saying Reggie, my bro and I are wrong on our choice of halftime sustenance?? Hockey players
                                                                                                                    Last edited by V for Vendetta; 01-03-10, 11:49.
                                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                      choice of halftime sustenance??
                                                                                                                      imo

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                        packed lunch obv, altho its much more GAA style and not very rugby.

Did you have hang sangwedges and a flask of tea as well Mr Vendetta?
                                                                                                                        No jammie dodgers are strictly a tide you over meal! Chicken katsu curry afterwards ftw!

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OykLR105KGI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2b8ENc_Ak&feature=related[/ame]

More C&H love.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X