Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only time will tell I guess I just wouldn't have a lot of faith in him from what I have seen up to now, but it does seem to be a big problem at OT attracting the big players they once did.
    http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Wow, got chatting with one of the other students who got a particularly harsh feedback e-mail on his presentation. I asked him if I could post it here, let others give some thoughts on it. Relationship with lecturer would be fairly good, he's a cool guy imo, knows his shit and his opinion is usually worthwhile on most matters.

Just think that this is a bit OTT, anyone who's in academia who would like to offer an opinion?

SPOILER
      I cannot give your provisional mark as they need to be processed, however I can give you feedback on your presentation and the grade we are recommending (subject to approval).

We have recommended a 'B'. The gap between your grade and an 'A' was substantially on your presentation style and whether it was convincing (these issues were worth 40% of the marks). You have a very informal style, which is fine socially but not when trying to convince people to take you seriously. In industry you need to inspire confidence that you are right.

You did too much background (which I assure you Examiner2 and I are familiar with) which meant you ran out of time on the meat. Your decision to do the proofs on the blackboard turned out to be a poor one. I suspect the issue is you are not familiar with the technique and it might have been better to present the proofs and explain them rather than simultaneously getting the proofs right and explaining them.

Your numerics, worth 9%, were wrong.

You had a good intuition and we believe you understood the topic, but were rubbish at demonstrating this.

Bear in mind that in academia or industry your reputation is based on being able to effectively communicate ideas, there is a massive difference between being innovative and inventive, innovators retire young and rich, inventors die poor and bitter.

edit - is there any way to make this unsearchable in google?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
        i see boyles has it 10/11 milan, 4/5 spurs. hmmmmm
        Gordo, you wanna take even money as i fancy Spurs to go through?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Wow, got chatting with one of the other students who got a particularly harsh feedback e-mail on his presentation. I asked him if I could post it here, let others give some thoughts on it. Relationship with lecturer would be fairly good, he's a cool guy imo, knows his shit and his opinion is usually worthwhile on most matters.

Just think that this is a bit OTT, anyone who's in academia who would like to offer an opinion?

My two cents would be it's awesome to have somebody be so straight with you...

Comment

Apart from the bit I have quoted below it seems fine.

ETA: Saying it is fine... but there are better ways to say it.

were rubbish at demonstrating this.
            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Seems like honest assessment.
              http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

seems fair enough.

Comment

whatever about the senstive types in academia, this is pretty mild by the standards of industry

man up (always wanted to say that)
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm not studying but in no way should that be considered harsh. It's great feedback imo.
                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Maybe its just relative to the feedback that others got, but I just thought it was a bit harsh. bp_me mentions the line that stood out to me.

Lecturer is impressive, and think the guy will really take the feedback on board, just not sure that it was a completely appropriate feedback from a lecturer to a student.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                        5/4 between friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                          5/4 between friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                            Thought I read it in inc magazine but must have got confused with somebody else.

It's a pretty savage idea in anycase imo, been meaning to get me some for quite a while.
                            Wow good find. Its the top guy there.

Comment

I never would of thunk that my nephews school play was gonna be so funny, kids do the darndest things

Then off to the first showing of Tron Legacy, great movie

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I've taken 13/2 Copenhagen to qualify (willhill), ridiculous price

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                  Don't want to hear about you running bad in your blog if this is the sort of thing your carrying on with!!

FFS Nicky would not back them at 10/1.
                                  twitter
                                  moneybookers

Comment

With the way Chelsea are playing anything is possible

Comment

Good quality feedback IMO no??

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                        Looking at the darts lineup till 23rd, Do you or MD think there's any value in these games. First name to win obv

Welge 3/1 v Lloyd 1/5
                                        Roy 6/5 v Dudbridge 8/13
                                        Shephard 11/4 v Jones 1/4
                                        Van Gerwen 8/11 v Suljovic Evs
                                        McDine 10/11 v Bates 4/5
                                        Pipe 5/2 v Walsh 2/7

Never heard of the first guy but im backing Lloyd and Lewis to both win 3-0 tonight.

Cant see much value in the rest tbh, McDine probably has the best chance.

Looks a fair price on Dudbridge as well actually, Roy is always tipped to cause an upset but never does.
                                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I think that a straight appraisal is always good but it does seem a little harsh as I was always told to present with a view that nobody is familair with the material. Having been to lots of business presentations it does annoy me when it goes on too long in the intro tho. Also a casual presenting style also annoys me but if it is too formal then it can get boring quickly so it is a tight rope.
                                          having incorrect figures even if only worth 9% I imagine took marks of other areas also even tho technically they shouldn't have as that would have really pissed me off. I will let the lectures go into more detail on this one but it does make your achievement look better if you felt it was good.

Comment

Its pretty much just the "rubbish" that raised eyebrows. And the last line, which is bizarre imo!

Found this incredible website for anyone getting a new laptop/computer for Christmas. Easy installer for everything you need when you start fresh!

The easiest, fastest way to update or install software. Ninite downloads and installs programs automatically in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                              I never would of thunk that my nephews school play was gonna be so funny, kids do the darndest things

Then off to the first showing of Tron Legacy, great movie
                                              Got a pretty poor write up in The Irish Times today

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                                                Don't want to hear about you running bad in your blog if this is the sort of thing your carrying on with!!

FFS Nicky would not back them at 10/1.

I haven't followed football for years tbh, but this year followed the CL, Cop wont be a pushover for anyone. only a small bet to Qualify, it's about 20% over priced, but ill be stuck into them in the home leg at +.5 and +1 on the asian, also, under 2.5, will also be a good game to take the no score draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                  Shrewd.

Comment

I'd also have been a bit taken aback by the use of 'rubbish'. It's seems a little ironic to accuse someone of being a bit too informal and then using a very casual word like rubbish in an appraisal... Apart from that it's fine.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

I like this, they've like two and half months to prepare for a match which is basically their cup final.

Comment

Any HEM/Postgres experts on here?

Really don't fancy the idea of losing my DB

Comment

For the darts experts, what do ye think

Stompe 3-0 10/11
                                                          Lloyd 3-0 5/4
                                                          Lewis 3-0 ev's

Comment

I cannot give your provisional mark as they need to be processed, however I can give you feedback on your presentation and the grade we are recommending (subject to approval).

We have recommended a 'B'. The gap between your grade and an 'A' was substantially on your presentation style and whether it was convincing (these issues were worth 40% of the marks). You have a very informal style, which is fine socially but not when trying to convince people to take you seriously. In industry you need to inspire confidence that you are right.

You did too much background (which I assure you Examiner2 and I are familiar with) which meant you ran out of time on the meat. Your decision to do the proofs on the blackboard turned out to be a poor one. I suspect the issue is you are not familiar with the technique and it might have been better to present the proofs and explain them rather than simultaneously getting the proofs right and explaining them.

Your numerics, worth 9%, were wrong.

You had a good intuition and we believe you understood the topic, but were rubbish at demonstrating this.

Bear in mind that in academia or industry your reputation is based on being able to effectively communicate ideas, there is a massive difference between being innovative and inventive, innovators retire young and rich, inventors die poor and bitter.

I wouldn't like the rubbish comment-needless, last line is soapbox stuff also needless

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCa73lmlXw&feature=related[/ame]

lol..
                                                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Last bit is totally out of place. You're doing a financial maths course, right? Being innovative and demonstrating entrepreneurship shouldn't be anywhere near the criteria for how you're assessed.

He was just a bit excited after watching the interview ep of the apprentice probably.

Comment

I wouldn't like the rubbish comment-needless, last line is soapbox stuff also needless
                                                                  Exactly this!
                                                                  No need to use the word rubbish or the half-baked fortune cookie wisdom.

Sounds like the boy himself made some basic errors though?
                                                                  Surely getting the numerics bit wrong is an absolute no no?

Comment

predictions for the HC tomorrow;

Munster will do a number on the Ospreys, might even get a bonus point

Leinster will win narrowly in a blizzard

Ulster will get stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      BOD Almighty is playing, as is Heaslip

Comment

I think if I were a professor I'd be rubbishing the chimps in my care, feckers need some tough love. The tiger is dead, get competitive and get working on yer presentations, it's a feared practice but when you master it you'll impress. Softly softly is no good, the soft underbelly of our up and coming graduates
                                                                        is everywhere to be seen in the workplace.. Scary. I hope the fk the colleges get tougher, we need our graduates to be sharp.

Teresa, you have scared off our own nutty professor with your critique . I hope you are pleased.
                                                                        When you wake up out of your drug enduced coma HH, please post cliff notes on the last 48 hours. Peru girl?

Comment

predictions for the HC tomorrow;

i actually think clermont are going to take this one.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                            i actually think clermont are going to take this one.
                                                                            shall we engage in friendly wagering?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              Should I watch the original Tron first?
                                                                              If you can yes as it will give you some of the back story.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              Lloyd seems to be to the weather what El Stunt is to the economy. Quite an odd subject to be a naysayer about I have to say.

I hope you're right though. Was out busking last night and nearly got hypothermia. Wanna get out a few more times over the weekend but defo wearing 8 layers minimum.
                                                                              Was in town last night and was passing at the top of Grafton Street around half 8 and seen a bunch of dudes busking but no sign of you?

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                              Just read the review there, what a load of bollox fucking rag of a paper!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Just read the review there, what a load of bollox fucking rag of a paper!!!
                                                                                Ah he usual does decent reviews. Will be going to see it anyhow to decide its level of awesomeness.

Off to The Loose later for the annual chrimbo gig, better be good consideing what I've heard of the new album is shite

Comment

shall we engage in friendly wagering?
                                                                                  what handicap or odds are you offering?

Comment

what handicap or odds are you offering?
                                                                                    an even 100

Comment

I looked on Metacritic as well, Tron got (on average of course!) pretty poor reviews in the States Not sure I'll bother to see it in the cinema now.

Comment

an even 100
                                                                                        lol, leinster are 1/2 in the bookies

Comment

an even 100
                                                                                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9TouRnO84[/ame]

Comment

lol, leinster are 1/2 in the bookies
                                                                                            I hadn't even looked

just chcked PP now, they makes it evens both teams with Clermont +4. No way does that equal 1/2 Leinster?

I'll give you 5/4 so

Comment

That dude over in the otherplace who forcasts the snow is on The Last Word today at 5pm for anyone interested.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I hadn't even looked

just chcked PP now, they makes it evens both teams with Clermont +4. No way does that equal 1/2 Leinster?

I'll give you 5/4 so
                                                                                                They're 8/15 which i found surprising aswel. 7/5 Clermont without the handicap is the way to go imo if you fancied backing them

Comment

I haven't followed football for years tbh, but this year followed the CL, Cop wont be a pushover for anyone. only a small bet to Qualify, it's about 20% over priced, but ill be stuck into them in the home leg at +.5 and +1 on the asian, also, under 2.5, will also be a good game to take the no score draw.
                                                                                                  What price will you give me on Chelsea to win both legs without conceding a goal?
                                                                                                  twitter
                                                                                                  moneybookers

Comment

I hadn't even looked

I'll give you 5/4 so
                                                                                                    they're 1/2 on pp, so if you want i'll take 50 on clermont at 2/1, which'll make it an even 100 for you (if leinster lose) ;-))

Comment

they're 1/2 on pp, so if you want i'll take 50 on clermont at 2/1, which'll make it an even 100 for you (if leinster lose) ;-))
                                                                                                      no chance

I'd rather back Clermont @ 2s than lay them, thanks very much

edit: I was just looking at the handicap betting and trying to work it from there - just saw their outright market there. Leinster 1/2 seems nuts, even if BOD is back.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 17-12-10, 16:19.

Comment

the Green Island rum just landed on my desk btw

Happy Christmas Denny

Comment

Ah he usual does decent reviews. Will be going to see it anyhow to decide its level of awesomeness.

Off to The Loose later for the annual chrimbo gig, better be good consideing what I've heard of the new album is shite
                                                                                                          Serious man that reviewer has left out loads of things and some of the stuff he writes about is rubbish!

Here is a quote from the article

Most significantly, the picture relied on a vanished class of novelty for its appeal. Made (lest we forget), two years before the launch of the Apple Macintosh, a decade before the advent of the PlayStation and more than 20 years before the Wii arrived, Tron did a very good job of rendering a digital environment. Even if the effects had been a quarter as impressive, it would still have seemed like a visual marvel. Nowadays, you can see more impressive images on your telephone.
                                                                                                          What the hell does the Apple Macintosh/Playstation/Wii got to do with the movie? "Nowadays, you can see more impressive images on your telephone." jesus man its called progression for what it was 28 years ago was an absolute marvel!

Tron for what it was at the time was technological brilliance.

With the new one he does leave out the all import updated light cycle sequence obviously when you think of Tron you think of that, dont wanna go into too much on it but you will see.

When he talks about Michael Sheen in this I actually thought he pulled off his character very well.

There is very few movie reviewers that I actually like I think they are a bunch of assholes, had to stop reading the reviews in the hearld because the guy was a fucking moron!

Fucking rag of a review!!!

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                          I looked on Metacritic as well, Tron got (on average of course!) pretty poor reviews in the States Not sure I'll bother to see it in the cinema now.
                                                                                                          Go and see it you fool
                                                                                                          Last edited by tylerdurden94; 17-12-10, 16:36.

Comment

Shrapnel, oddscheckers show best value Clermont is 7/4 with Sky Bet

I actually think I'll take a slice of that myself

Comment

no chance

I'd rather back Clermont @ 2s than lay them, thanks very much

edit: I was just looking at the handicap betting and trying to work it from there - just saw their outright market there. Leinster 1/2 seems nuts, even if BOD is back.
                                                                                                              okay so to keep it simple, we'll go with the PP odds of 13/8, so my 50 to your 80?

Comment

okay so to keep it simple, we'll go with the PP odds of 13/8, so my 50 to your 80?
                                                                                                                again, no thanks - my offer was 5/4 and that's where I think it should be priced at so take the SkyBet odds of 7/4 imo^^

Comment

Anyone who enjoys a bit of bluegrass might enjoy this if you keep an eye on what the kids are listening to :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lqVYoU0LA[/ame]

Comment

again, no thanks - my offer was 5/4 and that's where I think it should be priced at so take the SkyBet odds of 7/4 imo^^
                                                                                                                    before I disappear for some damaging drinking 48 hours.
                                                                                                                    treble for ye. .

Leinster,
                                                                                                                    manu

and AUSTRALIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA COME ON BASH THE FUCKING POMs MATES.

Comment

no worries, i'll go with sky bet so.

Comment

Been reading some of the dudes reviews who done Tron Legacy, guy is a douchebag! Seems to give ever artsy fartsy movie 3-5 stars, clown.

Gives Unstoppable 3 stars and says its Tony Scotts best movie in 10 years? Eh Man on Fire mate, Unstoppable is a dreadful fucking movie!

Then he goes on and says this line "And then they go and spoil it all by cutting to Hooters. Who on earth wants to look at Hooters chicks when Rosario Dawson is in the house?"

Its god dam fucking hooters Ste you would be doing well not to read that guys stupid reviews.

I always find myself when reading some of these dudes that they go way over the top with the way they word things and the words they use, pretentious cunts!
                                                                                                                        Last edited by tylerdurden94; 17-12-10, 16:39.

Comment

its 10/11 clean sheet in leg one chris. with 8/13 a good guess at the home leg
                                                                                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X