X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    cheers sp,

so the first thing is the technology and the second bit(s) are just the storage disks?

Does this work via wireless technology too? i.e. can I add it into my wireless network or would I have to plug it into my laptop anytime I wanted to add more content onto it?

I think tylerdurden was telling me about the media player yoke before, that seems like the easiest bit!

in my ideal world, I would stick the storage behind the TV together with the media player and would be able to play media files through the TV at the click of a remote. I'd also be able to copy content from my laptop to the storage device over my wireless network.
    Yea the D-link is a tiny embedded Linux computer that does nothing except run the storage and this one has room for two hard drives. There are lots of more and less expensive options including All in one jobs that have hard disk and media players in the one unit. IMO that kind of option is a bit limited. A blu ray rip is 4GB so it doesn't take long to fill a Terrabyte if you don't throw anything away.

The NAS is wired but visible and available from the Wireless network. It plugs in to the Wireless Router and so does the Media player. There are plenty of options for Wireless media players but Wireless NAS is less common.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    What do you use for storage? NAS or just plug in a external HD? Or can you stream from your pc over the wireless network?
    You can stream form a PC NAS - I started with a 500Gb and a 1Tb and now I'm going to replace the 500 with a 2Tb etc.
    The Asus has options for streaming from the internet but I've never used that.

There is also a lot to be said for the HTPC option.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Reading up on it, the Acer sounds simpler for a dimwit such as myself, no messing around with a media player or anything. Looks like I could get that plus a external HD and that would do the job.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Reading up on it, the Acer sounds simpler for a dimwit such as myself, no messing around with a media player or anything. Looks like I could get that plus a external HD and that would do the job.
        go on then be a wuss...(is that how you spell wuss????)

Comment

am in the market for a HTPC myself..

built a laptop running ubuntu and have installed boxee on it to mess around with.

this seems like a good all in one job for non techies i think.
          plenty of storage, can play just about every file format. internet radio, etc
          not very customisable though but that shouldnt be an issue for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
            I understood none of your post except some crap about dimming the lights

that's what I pay the servants for

Comment

what is Netflix btw? all the reviews I read seem to mention it

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                I seen the film "4 Lions" last night and couldnt help thinking of you

I don't think you are a Muslim extremest by the way

Comment

Is one of these media centre jobs just the same thing as having a normal PC plugged into your PC but with a flashy User Interface?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                    I don't think you are a Muslim extremest by the way
                    what gave him away?

the drinking, the gambling or the consorting with loose women?

Comment

US only pay service for streaming movies and tv

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                          Netflix is a US online dvd store, and the main reason Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy a few months ago - so i'd guess the reviews you are reading are US-based.
                          gotcha

is there a Euro equivalent?

Comment

what gave him away?

the drinking, the gambling or the consorting with loose women?
                            I was gonna say I thought he was gay but your reasons are fine too

SPOILER
                            joking obv

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    Well, three of us played a game last week, good craic, hopefully we'll set up a few more over the next while. Join up whenever you remember, we'll go slaughtering zombies!
                                    I'll be back for L4D2 soon, new WoW expansion came out and has consumed my life.
                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

gotcha

is there a Euro equivalent?
                                      lidl.
                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

actually, just on the dvd thing. Bought this new laptop three weeks ago and thus had a working dvd drive for the first time in ages. Got some dvd's in xtravision because they were on sale and slightly for the novelty value as well. .... dvd's are so shite! they made us look through some adverts for other movies for about 10 minutes, including a presumably ironic warning that watching illegal copies of the movie would be poorer quality.
                                        This has to be the most annoying thing about DVDs.

What makes it worse for me is that I've the attention span of a distracted gnat so I only watch max 20 minutes of a film at a time anyway. So when I go back to it the next day I have to sit through all the bumppfffhhh at the start again, watch another 20 minutes, then same again the next day.

By the end of the film I tend to know the trailers, production company and copyright warnings better than I know the film.

They should never have got rid of VHS.

Comment

the problem with having a laptop is that you can't have it dedicated to this.

HTPC is a PC that looks like a normal DVD player,and sits where your DVD player sits,but can do so so much more.

you can then install a media centre application(there is good few around but Mediaportal is by far the best and it's free,there is constant updates for it as well,lots of plugins that will do cool shit).

it will then catalouge every kind of file you have,be it home vidoes,music files,movie files,etc and will let you play back everything.

cuz it's a PC then you can stream anything from the net as well.

if you have a Network eneabled TV ,then you can have one of these and watch it in the other rooms as well(any room that has a Network enabled TV).

it's really limitless in terms of what you can do with it.

here is a link to media portal.
                                          check out what it does and different plugins.there are also cool screen shots of how it will look and feel.

MediaPortal offers you a variety of creative skins to personalize your media center. Everyone has their own preference: clean and simple, more colorful or with tons of fanart. Here we present you with just some of our most popular skins compatible

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Plus the thing is very portable if your needs change and can still be used as a basic pc for the Mrs and kids.

Netflix and hulu could be accesed if you were willing to pay for a professional ip hiding service. 5 dollar a month would be the approximate cost.

The htpc gives more options but the acer reduces the work load and is very cheap.

I bought the folks a new mpeg 4 compatible Philips lcd tv for Xmas. Set it up over the weekend and brought my acer down home to stream the rugby and play movies from my harddrive. Blew my Dads mind.
                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                              I bought the folks a new mpeg 4 compatible Philips lcd tv for Xmas. Set it up over the weekend and brought my acer down home to stream the rugby and play movies from my harddrive. Blew my Dads mind.
                                              just as well or he probably would have boxed you one

in all seriousness though, the Acer sounds ideal - I'm going to get me one now

Comment

Having said all that the philips tv plays movies directly from the harddrive so it's pretty handy on its own.
                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Netflix is a US online dvd store, and the main reason Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy a few months ago - so i'd guess the reviews you are reading are US-based.
                                                  Funny thing is Netflix wanted to merge with Blockbuster in the early 2000's, Blockbuster loled and told them to gtfo.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                    We had our first IPB game of Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam tonight - short but good craic. Join up if you've a Steam account, we should organise regular games hopefully:

bump for anyone else just after buying this.

Comment

just as well or he probably would have boxed you one

in all seriousness though, the Acer sounds ideal - I'm going to get me one now
                                                      Be aware that Acer hard drives and motherboards have a habit of fukking up . Well mine did anyway and only after 12mts and it was cheaper to buy a new lappie than to repair either one

Comment

Anyone watched the tv series Freaks and Geeks (altho only 1 season i think)?

Watched 1st ep last night and thought was very good. Load of well known people in it when they were younger, my personal favourite was Roman from Party Down - mess of a man

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post

Watched 1st ep last night and thought was very good. Load of well known people in it when they were younger, my personal favourite was Roman from Party Down - mess of a man
                                                          Yea, great show. If you haven't seen Undeclared watch it after, closest you'll get to a second season.

Comment

Gerry Ryan rapping about drugs. I can't believe he sank so low

SPOILER
                                                            RAP?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWtLx8ax9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWtLx8ax9k[/ame]

Comment

This Raoul looks genius.

Visit us, explore, and be inspired by premium external hard drives, SSDs, and RAID solutions that give you field-proven reliability and bold performance. Trek the globe with Rugged® durability, sprint through projects with Thunderbolt™ speed, and easily connect to the latest USB-C computers.
                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Yeah its pretty good.

Comment

Roon to come good tonight? Cheeky few europeans on 1-1.
                                                                  http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
                                                                  http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Comment

I suppose, with all this predicted snow, it would be silly not to get out of the house tonight and play poker*

*Excuse No. 176

Comment

Comment

Just finishing up reading a thread on boards that kev posted yesterday about the locking of the soccer off-topic thread.

Those people are so ridiculous it isn't even funny.

I mean, if we take here and this morning with CHD, we all just went 'CHD gonna CHD' and allowed him his indulgence, whereas on boards there would have been an insta-ban and comments about how he is probably the most evil person to ever enter the world, and we should probably ban all Wicklow IPs just in case he tries to post again.
                                                                          Probably a good idea to ban all Wicklow IP's just in case never know what them folks out in the sticks do be thinking.

In fairness thou all that drivel was a load of bollox and was totally over the top but as you say CHD gonna CHD

I did find his champagne story funny thou.

Glad we are here and not over there

Comment

I suppose, with all this predicted snow, it would be silly not to get out of the house tonight and play poker*

*Excuse No. 176
                                                                            Does the Fitz get many runners of a Monday night what with the best football match in the history of the world being on and all....

Comment

Dont even bother imo. I signed up 2 nights ago its shocking bad for choice as far as i can see. Il be taking my free month and cancelling it then.
                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Does the Fitz get many runners of a Monday night what with the best football match in the history of the world being on and all....
                                                                                Barca 5 Real Madrid 0

history dude, history....

(usually 40-50 runners)

Comment

... and we should probably ban all Wicklow IPs just in case he tries to post again.
                                                                                  If we can add Wexford to the list I'll vote
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Serious Raoul you should really consider that little piece of kit I put up its absolutely fantastic.

All you gotta do is learn to download movies/tv shows and you will be running as well as this dude

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      and Leitrim

and Roscommon

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        And lolCork too

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
                                                                                          And lolCork too
                                                                                          Jesus how were we forgetting that place

Comment

...

Comment

Deserting the Kestril?

Comment

...

Comment

@Hitchhiker, don't give them a penny. They froze my funds in retaliation for the US freezing theirs.

They're all cunts, US / hackers / etc

Comment

Fat Sam gone from blackburn.

Comment

Sam allardyce gone from Blackburn.Bit of a shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                        Deserting the Kestril?
                                                                                                        Might do, doubt be many runners tonight and be bigger prizepool in Fitz. Also after my epic final table blow up in Molloys on Thurs I think i'll give it a miss

You let the team down on Thurs, I assume you heard you were one of Tags horsies

Comment

I mean, if we take here and this morning with CHD, we all just went 'CHD gonna CHD' and allowed him his indulgence, whereas on boards there would have been an insta-ban and comments about how he is probably the most evil person to ever enter the world, and we should probably ban all Wicklow IPs just in case he tries to post again.
                                                                                                          The thing is you can only have one CHD. On boards.ie The Law of Big Numbers (copyright outlaw pete) would mean that some equally drunk MUFC or Tottenham fan would have been there responding in outrage and the whole thing would have generated into a mess and all of them would get banned. Whereas here people went 'awwww, look at him with his little drunk rage on again'.

Comment

Might do, doubt be many runners tonight and be bigger prizepool in Fitz. Also after my epic final table blow up in Molloys on Thurs I think i'll give it a miss

You let the team down on Thurs, I assume you heard you were one of Tags horsies
                                                                                                            What happened Thurs?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                              The thing is you can only have one CHD.
                                                                                                              Jesus thank fuck

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                Serious Raoul you should really consider that little piece of kit I put up its absolutely fantastic.

All you gotta do is learn to download movies/tv shows and you will be running as well as this dude
                                                                                                                What can it do that a regular PC hooked up to your tv can't?

Comment

...
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-12-10, 17:08.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                    Fat Sam gone from blackburn.
                                                                                                                    Jose better watch out at Madrid
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Dub13; 13-12-10, 17:08.

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                                                      Sam allardyce gone from Blackburn.Bit of a shocker
                                                                                                                      This is turning me off football. Big Sam deserved to stay, he stablised the club, a club that had very little in terms of resources.

Comment

CHD was fairly tame this morning no? What's the problem?

Comment

what do we think good or bad connection??

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X