This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    I'd just take the train - can't keep me out! That new motorway is the business, driving from Dublin to the metropolis of Galway and back is a breeze. I still prefer taking the train though, get to watch a movie or a few episodes of Deadwood without the need to concentrate on the road.

With FG publicly stating they won't be bound by whatever is agreed in the 4-year plan, surely the Government need to step down NOW and hold the election pre-Christmas? If they ever really wanted to prove they have the good of the country in mind rather than trying to preserve a rump FF opposition in the Dail by not touching the PS and the OAPs and shafting the rest of us...
    The bus is handiest of all now. GoBus and Citylink both have direct routes from Eyre Sq to O Connell St for a tenner. There is wifi on the buses, and they're v comfortable.

Comment

was Baggs hilarious again last night btw?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        No TV in the bedroom, anyway I have mmds rather than sky, The Radio 4 stream on the TV is from FM and there isn't a LW one.
        Does the LW stream on Sky play TMS and does it work Free to Air, i.e if I picked up a Lidl dish without a sky sub could I get it. I think I'll probably just root out an old LW receiver.

The podcast used to be out too late to listen to in the car on the way to work but my new HTC phone should be able fix that
        mmds?

I don't have sky either
        I use an old sky box as a free to air box so ya id imagine they should be free to air alright on a lidl disk

didn't check last night but usually Radio4 on the TV is TMS lads
        I listened on 5 live extra (BBCR5SX) channel 0144

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        I think I'll probably just root out an old LW receiver.
        I believe it is called a radio

Comment

I'd just take the train - can't keep me out! That new motorway is the business, driving from Dublin to the metropolis of Galway and back is a breeze. I still prefer taking the train though, get to watch a movie or a few episodes of Deadwood without the need to concentrate on the road.

With FG publicly stating they won't be bound by whatever is agreed in the 4-year plan, surely the Government need to step down NOW and hold the election pre-Christmas? If they ever really wanted to prove they have the good of the country in mind rather than trying to preserve a rump FF opposition in the Dail by not touching the PS and the OAPs and shafting the rest of us...
          your points are valid but domestic politics are irrelevant in the wider context

this bailout is way more important than just Ireland. Our job is to shut up and make the right noises for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
            Damn it you guys, we had him sidetracked on the cricket.

btw
            I hope that reluctant carpet muncher Grange United brushed his teeth this morning.
            flossed imo

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              was Baggs hilarious again last night btw?
              Yeh he was decent but his team won so didnt get to see enough of him in action in the boardroom.

When they were talking about PM he said he didnt want to do it because he was "knackered". LOL

I think the new team split favours you in our bet. Stella with Laura Bagga and Jo. She wont get fired before any of them.

Well done in the Fitz.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                The bus is handiest of all now. GoBus and Citylink both have direct routes from Eyre Sq to O Connell St for a tenner. There is wifi on the buses, and they're v comfortable.
                Mmmm was gonna get train next week, is the wifi ok (poker ok?).

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  I didn't use it for poker, but for browsing on the phone it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                    Liking them so far also, solid recommendation.

Also that song is on an ad, not sure which ad, I wanna say one of the phone networks but I'm not certain
                    Its from Fifa 10 thats probably were you know it from
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Doc Farrell is alive and well
                      lol he was grumbling about poker and proclaiming retirement at the IPB game. Guess not then!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                        I've honestly never warmed to travelling by bus - back in my busto-student days (a long, long time ago) I'd take the Citylink to and from Dublin but if someone sits by you there just isn't much space. I like the train because you now have a power outlet (on all the Dublin-Galway trains) and a nice big table to rest my power-hungry 17" laptop while I watch all the crap I've downloaded. I'm guessing the size of the laptop would make using it on the bus messy?

The low, low cost of travelling and the free Wi-Fi is pretty tempting though! Last weekend's train journey cost me €42 return, though if I book far enough in advance it can cost less than €30, which is very reasonable I think. If I drive instead, I'm spending €10 on tolls and at least €30 on petrol, which is why I often take the train instead.

Well down on snagging that ticket Glyn by the way. I feel like trying out some live poker tonight, might head into the Fitz for some cash, nit it up ionapaul style!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          [ ]Niki Whelan has the body of an 8 year old
                          [ ]Borderline repulsive

I can understand soem people be obsessed with boobs, and not like some very sexy people purely because they are B cups. But seriously, boderline repulsive, GTFOOTC
                          SPOILER
                          (get the fook out of the closet)

Proof:
                          Google Search
                          I don't agree with you there on her having a body of an 8 year old as my daughter doesnt have a body like this.. (God why am I posting this lol, but just to prove a point I suppose lol)

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            lol he was grumbling about poker and proclaiming retirement at the IPB game. Guess not then!
                            he was claiming it as his last hurrah in the Fitz

he'll be back, you'll all be back

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                              At the end of the day, the total amount spent each year on SW is a fraction of that spent on Public Sector wages. I have said it in here before and I'll say it again - we get shocking value relative to the level PS salaries are pitched at. The real fucking solution here is to go in to every State Department and assess the shit out of what each employee brings to the table on a yearly basis, and cut / hire wages in relation to it. The idea of blanket rises and drops in pay bands or big picture hiring / firing across departments is ludicrous. In the private sector employees don't get to hide away as part of one large mob. The employment picture gets broken down to an individual level - and that is exactly as it should be too.

That's what irritates me about your posts and conversely pleases me about Solk's: it's very fucking easy to go after the more vulnerable party in this thing. We should all be livid with what was announced today, but only because it doesn't dare go near the big White Elephant problem we have in terms of State Expenditure. And all because they do vote, and will strike, and will clog up the city centre if you push them. Unbelievable.

There was a lot more that I wanted to say, but I lost my train of thought. Fuck it.
                              Someone mentioned six sigma on t'other place a few weeks ago in relation to the public sector.
                              Hadn't heard of it before then, seems a better system than what is currently in place.
                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                I don't agree with you there on her having a body of an 8 year old as my daughter doesnt have a body like this.. (God why am I posting this lol, but just to prove a point I suppose lol)

SPOILER
                                OK thats much nicer. But you can nearly see her internal organs in the ballet shots.

Comment

advice duly taken so it looks like my guy got the bullet

hotspur levelled me it appears

down to my Stella versus eoghan's Liz
                                  meh, he was a bit unlucky.

I reckon Jamie led him up the garden path that night.

imo there was a late night session in the red light district, and without it they'd of won the task handy enough.
                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Any one know whats on the menu tonight in Fitz eom

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                                      @ Bantee, yea will go over alright. I see you get the early bird chip before 7.45, fancy a couple of pints first. You going Zuroph, any other Limerick lads?
                                      What's this about?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        What's this about?
                                        Russels Bar 8pm 40 f.o afaik Bantee and theDini and possibly yours truly meeting up for a pint there also

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                          Fish
                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

WTF

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4KcUyc5rMM[/ame]

Comment

best sites for downloading films?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                He seemed to like it...

Comment

Originally posted by Aya14 View Post
                                                  Russels Bar 8pm 40 f.o afaik Bantee and theDini and possibly yours truly meeting up for a pint there also
                                                  Cool, where abouts is that? Might pop along if I'm not doing anything...

Comment

best sites for downloading films?
                                                    myfreepaysite.com

Comment

myfreepaysite.com
                                                      Have plenty of them

Comment

he was claiming it as his last hurrah in the Fitz

he'll be back, you'll all be back
                                                        [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU[/ame]

Comment

Its on Fr.Russel Rd in Raheen heres proper directions

Comment

It's the barpokerireland thing so you'd need to register in paddypowers, it's €40 +10 and pp give you a free tenner bet. Russell's is on Fr.Russell rd in Raheen.

Comment

If you sleepwalk and you have an account with any gambling site, be sure to hide your laptop or you'll end up like me, a thousand euro down.

lol

Comment

The low, low cost of travelling and the free Wi-Fi is pretty tempting though! Last weekend's train journey cost me €42 return, though if I book far enough in advance it can cost less than €30, which is very reasonable I think. If I drive instead, I'm spending €10 on tolls and at least €30 on petrol, which is why I often take the train instead.

Well down on snagging that ticket Glyn by the way. I feel like trying out some live poker tonight, might head into the Fitz for some cash, nit it up ionapaul style!
                                                                Lads regarding wifi on the bus, I have used it twice only on trips from kinnegad/rochfortbridge to Galway and return with gobus. It was always very patchy/slow at best and not great at all. Only really worked properly when the bus was travelling slow or in a town. I guess it was working off 3g or something. I would not recommend it for poker, personally.

However that was last year around Halloween so there is every chance that now the service/coverage has improved but I could not say that for sure.

Also there are no power outlets on the gobus coaches that I used either.

Comment

An afternoon oldie

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KOiITxwWIM[/ame]
                                                                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

ah that time of month, the 270euro dinner. ya never know they might throw a turkey on for the day thats in it....

Comment

It's the barpokerireland thing so you'd need to register in paddypowers, it's €40 +10 and pp give you a free tenner bet. Russell's is on Fr.Russell rd in Raheen.
                                                                      what time is it starting at?
                                                                      http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                        what time is it starting at?
                                                                        8pm, if you there before 7.45 you get an earlybird 1000 chip,

Comment

8pm, if you there before 7.45 you get an earlybird 1000 chip,
                                                                          hmm.. must check with the GF told her id drop her and her mate to some play and pick em up after. TBH i'm way too stoney broke anyway. tempting though.
                                                                          http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                            ah that time of month, the 270euro dinner. ya never know they might throw a turkey on for the day thats in it....
                                                                            last year after rugby training id often find myself sneaking in with the other non players to stuff myself no shame
                                                                            last 2 times managed the dinner 2 desserts and 2 pints at the break one before
                                                                            cant change winning formula 2nd 2 months ago 4th last month playing like a cunt for first 5 hours seems to help too

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                              hmm.. must check with the GF told her id drop her and her mate to some play and pick em up after. TBH i'm way too stoney broke anyway. tempting though.
                                                                              See you there

Comment

Do we have anyone nuts enough to play this game properly with the EU?

Socialist party? Could we elect them for a week?

Reckless cross-border lending by big banks has made many nations vulnerable to Ireland’s fiscal crisis, an economist writes — and none more so than Belgium.

SPOILER
                                                                                Will Ireland Default? Ask Belgium
                                                                                By SIMON JOHNSON
                                                                                Today's Economist

Simon Johnson, the former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund, is the co-author of “13 Bankers.”

On the face of it, Ireland seems poised on the brink of default. Its debts are very large relative to the size of its economy, most of this money is owed to foreigners and – unless there is an unexpected growth miracle – the country will struggle to pay its debts in full for many years to come.

Yet all the indications are that, as part of the historic rescue package to be introduced this week by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund, Ireland will not default on or otherwise restructure its most substantial debts. Why not?

To be clear, Ireland owes a huge amount of money to the outside world. In the best scenario, Ireland’s government debt is likely to stabilize at more than 100 percent of gross national product, or G.N.P.; in the worst scenario, with greater real estate losses and a deeper recession, this level could reach 150 percent.

That’s a higher number than you see in many news reports, in part because officials are still focused on gross domestic product, a misleading statistic in the Irish case, as Peter Boone and I have been arguing in this space for some time.

At least 20 percent of Ireland’s G.D.P. is from “ghost corporations” that have little or no real activity in Ireland. Corporate taxes are set at 12.5 percent, but leading global corporations are able to construct complicated schemes involving other offshore tax havens that reduce their effective tax rates to the low single digits.

The Irish insist that raising the corporate tax rate would not generate additional revenue – effectively acknowledging the point that this part of the economy cannot be taxed as part of the anti-crisis policy mix. You will know that reality has finally set in when all the relevant numbers are presented relative to G.N.P., not G.D.P.

After the I.M.F. finishes going through the Irish books, we will all need to redo our projections (remember the data revisions that came to light in Greece under similar circumstances). But for now we stand by our previous assessment regarding the likely trajectory of Irish budget deficits – in the region of 10 to 15 percent of G.N.P. for this year and next.

So why not restructure some of this debt, particularly as much of what the government will owe is actually debt taken on by overgrown and careless Irish banks?

The government has indicated that it will force a restructuring of some subordinated, relatively junior debt. For at least for one prominent bank, Anglo Irish, this may amount to paying 20 cents in the euro. This debt by itself is too small to make a difference, but why not apply the same principle to other categories of borrowings?

The most obvious answer is: Ireland’s European partners do not want this to happen, because it would expose the really bad decisions made by pan-European banks and their regulators over the last decade and create potential fiscal risks in other euro-zone countries.

Jacob Kirkegaard, my colleague at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, points out that the claims of foreign banks (in the 24 countries reporting to the Bank for International Settlements) on Ireland “are at over $500 billion — three times the scale of total claims against Greece.” (The underlying data from the Bank for International Settlements that he uses can be seen here, starting on Page 90.)

German banks in particular lost their composure with regard to lending to Ireland – although British, American, French and Belgian banks were not so far behind. Hypo Real Estate – now taken over by the German government – has what is likely to be the highest exposure to Irish debt.

But look at loans outstanding relative to the size of their domestic economies (using the data from the Bank for International Settlements on what it calls “ultimate risk basis”).

German banks are owed $139 billion, which is 4.2 percent of German G.D.P. British banks are owed $131 billion, or about 5 percent of Great Britain’s G.D.P. French banks are owed $43.5 billion, which is approaching 2 percent of French G.D.P.

But the eye-catching numbers are for Belgium, which is owed $29 billion. In the relatively small Belgian economy, this accounts for around 5 percent of G.D.P.

Given the prevalence of offshore banking in Ireland, these numbers may overstate the true liabilities. But still, Belgium is already on the hook, according to the Bank for International Settlements, for 18.3 percent of its G.D.P. as a result of “general government contingent liabilities arising from ‘crisis assistance’ to financial institutions” (again, see Jacob Kirkegaard’s note.) The last thing it – or the rest of the euro-zone – needs is a fiscal crisis arising from commitments to support its banks after an Irish default.

Belgium’s overall fiscal picture is not good, its political stability is far from assured and its underlying social fissures would surely not be helped by a further dose of severe austerity. (According to Eurostat’s latest numbers, the Belgian budget deficit was 6 percent of G.D.P. in 2009 and its debt was 96.2 percent of G.D.P. at the end of last year; to be fair, Belgium has an established tradition of being able to survive with high debt levels.)

In addition, Ireland’s European creditors reckon, if they can just hold on for a few years, perhaps there will be a recovery in asset values. But real estate prices rose dramatically in Ireland over the last decade – quadrupling by some measures. And fiscal contraction – either higher taxes or lower government spending or both, as negotiated with the I.M.F. and E.U. – is unlikely to help the residential real estate market (so far most of the damage has been in commercial real estate.)

It is true that Irish mortgages are “recourse” — that is, you can’t just turn in the keys and walk away from a property as you can in many parts of the United States. On the other hand, Irish residents can leave the country – moving to Britain or the United States is a well-established tradition for many families. And how can an Irish lender enforce debts when someone has emigrated?

Eventually, Ireland will need to restructure its debts. How soon and how completely it does this will have major implications for the rest of Europe.

Many countries were exposed to the potato blight of the 1840s – it was a global affliction — but Ireland was unusually dependent on this one crop (a phenomenon known as monoculture). The result was famine and emigration; the population never returned to its pre-1840s level.

Many countries experienced debt-based property booms over the last decade fueled, in part, by reckless cross-border lending. Ireland again proved to have something of a monoculture; this is the origin of its extreme vulnerability and an awful decade to come.

This time, will the global disease continue to spread as banks elsewhere get bailouts that allow them to become even bigger and more dangerous? Will we see immediate ramifications in other euro-zone countries, such as Belgium or others?

And will the same underlying problem continue to grow in such a way that it can ultimately bring down the United States – as Peter Boone and I suggested here in March?

Anyone got the balls to stand up to an entire continent and tell them that they've to pay some of the chunk, not just lend us, but actually pay, some of the liabilities that we've opened ourselves up to through this effective "Peer Pressure" lending?
                                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 25-11-10, 14:04.

Comment

I really shouldnt play the EOM tonght - someone with more sense convince me why its a bad idea

Comment

See you there
                                                                                    Just had a read of the thread about these games there - it all seems a bit badly organised and wishy washy.

Think I'll wait for the trip report and hit it next week depending...

Comment

Just saw Bat O keefe was attacked by a man who grabbed his tie and tried to tighten it
                                                                                      Dempsey who is a plank his offices were vandalised

While not agreeing with such actions i feel many especially in fianna fail will come under attack and assault at there every public showing
                                                                                      for every action there is a reaction and imo some of these pricks will need police protection for life

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                        I really shouldnt play the EOM tonght - someone with more sense convince me why its a bad idea
                                                                                        10k for the winner nice food can be a tough field but plenty of droolers too.
                                                                                        Always a great atmosphere at the tourney play some sng sats maybe get in for 30 valooooo

Comment

Ive always seen dribs and drabs of 12 monkeys so decided to watch the full lot of it last night.

Yeah didnt really like it at all I think its the fact that I dont really like Terry Gilliams stuff, havent walked out of very many movies and I walked out of The Brothers Grimm.

I know the imdb top 250 is a little all over the place but I cant really see why 12 monkeys up in there, I like the premise of the movie but just dont like the final product.

Just checking out his stuff and I see he done Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ive heard such good things about it but have never gotten around to seeing it I have a feeling it might be tainted now!

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                            Just checking out his stuff and I see he done Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ive heard such good things about it but have never gotten around to seeing it I have a feeling it might be tainted now!
                                                                                            read the book first td, seriously

Comment

Basking in a hugely over-inflated sense of my own awesomeness after my Passion Pit recommendation went down so well

Comment

you are not very good
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

10k for the winner nice food can be a tough field but plenty of droolers too.
                                                                                                  Always a great atmosphere at the tourney play some sng sats maybe get in for 30 valooooo
                                                                                                  thats making me want to play it *shakes fist*

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                  you are not very good
                                                                                                  lol thats more like it

Comment

thats making me want to play it *shakes fist*

lol thats more like it
                                                                                                    I assume your moustache is still dodgy - people will ridicule you for it.

Comment

Can anyone sort us out here cheers

''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                                                                                                      I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

Any pensions expert on here

I have a pension that hasn't been paid into since 2003 . I had it for approx ten yrs prior to 2003 . What are my options for this .

Comment

I've got 2 tickets up for grabs for the smirnoff nightlife exchange project, which is taking place this saturday night at the wrights venue out in Swords.

If anyone wants them send me a pm

Comment

Fade Street is on TV.

Comment

whats the structure like in the EOM folks?

and i will only play if Smurph promises to play and sits on my table

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                                                                                                                whats the structure like in the EOM folks?
                                                                                                                10k stack, 30 minute levels

Comment

weird request here if anyone can do it would be grateful, moneybookers is all of sudden a looking for an identity verification via mailing address off me even though i've been withdrawing from there to my bank account for months.

what im looking for is a transfer my moneybookers for your bank deposit will do my E257 for your E240 obv i will ship first on moneybookers, if anyone can help PM me please

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                                    My favorite aftershave was discontinued -I know, it probably smells crap. But I have searched the web an cant find it. Anyone any ideas?

Its The Body Shop: Javari

FCUK have a good one called Man Up.
                                                                                                                    Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

for the traditional Boxing Day test experience, wear a beer hat like this classy lady

remember to drink the beer first and throw the tinnies at fans sitting below who don't join in chanting\mexican waves etc

Loose the hat, head and lower body and your left with a fine pair of tits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                                                                                        Loose the hat, head and lower body and your left with a fine pair of tits.
                                                                                                                        we're not talking about Cowen today

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                                                          FCUK have a good one called Man Up.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                          Last edited by RoadSweeper; 25-11-10, 14:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X