Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woah, they want to reinvest the pension funds in Ireland?

Investment101 diversification!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      Oversimplifying
      Wages are biggest cost to a company
      Lower minimum wage means
      Lower overall wage bill
      Means lower overall cost/ higher profit
      Means less companies out of business / increase chances for startup companies
      Means more jobs!
      (this is way too simple a way of lookin at it though)
      Oversimplifying

That has always been a false argument pushed by those not on minimum wage
      min wage follows cost, doesn't create it

this is way too simple a way of lookin at it though

Comment

Much prefer these RTE player commercial breaks compared to the tv, the screen just says 'commerical break' and goes quiet for a few minutes.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
          Time to invest in depression medication. Will be a growing market imo.
          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk[/ame]

Comment

Woah, they want to reinvest the pension funds in Ireland?

Investment101 diversification!!!!
            see my post above, no other SWF in the world does this

we're displaying worrying levels of doublethink, I hope you're not my secret long-lost brother
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
              Oversimplifying

That has always been a false argument pushed by those not on minimum wage
              min wage follows cost, doesn't create it

Only long term job I've had as of yet was on minimum wage.

Minimum wage does not follow cost, and costs do not follow minimum wage. They are both inputs of each other.

Comment

amongst all of this bullshit, note this:

not a single mention of our biggest single problem, the banks

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                  despite the fact that if both parents are unemployed and have kids they get €200*2 per week, plus rent allowance, plus child welfare, plus free healthcare. I mean, wtf, are these people spending their money on?
                  Drink, drugs, holidays, cars, iPhones, Sky+hd, clothes, Weekend breaks, Xmas, Shopping, on their chavy kids, getting an extention, the garden, internet, laptops, DVDs, Take aways, meals out, 20€ phone credit for them and their kids (regardless of age), Xbox live, the Wii to keep fit but only used it one month after Xmas.

I could go on and on and on....

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                    Drink, drugs, holidays, cars, iPhones, Sky+hd, clothes, Weekend breaks, Xmas, Shopping, on their chavy kids, getting an extention, the garden, internet, laptops, DVDs, Take aways, meals out, 20€ phone credit for them and their kids (regardless of age), Xbox live, the Wii to keep fit but only used it one month after Xmas.

I agree with all but you should leave the bolded bit out - not everyone on the dole is a chav.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      Can't believe I left out the re-introduction of student fees.

Fucking hell.
                      It was only increased to €2000, which is surprising.

Comment

I see you downloaded the trainspotting chose life song

Comment

Is there any sound logic at all to the increase in VAT rates or is it as foolish as it appears to my uneducated mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                            I agree with all but you should leave the bolded bit out - not everyone on the dole is a chav.
                            Fair point. As I was on it a while back. But that was before the recession got into full swing and in the que was a vast majority of travellers, junkies and drug dealers and it would not be a rear sight to see drug deals and fights in the que for the SW.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              yore ma might kick you out

your situation sounds about as ideal as possible tbh, good work sir!

having a plan for the future might be an idea too but you don't really need one of them until you meet a poker-playing Scarlett Johannsen lookalike
                              So basically do nothing? sweet.

Eoghan, you are catching the wave. No chains and good prospects, even in a downturn!

Higher taxes will hit you, yes, and there might be the odd pothole not fixed (road not even finished). Health service and education will fall foul of cuts, get good health insurance and buy all te contraception you can.
                              I have good health insurance through the job and apparently the pension is great too.

I wont be having kids anytime soon although me and the pope share the same opinion on certain contraceptions so maybe I should look at that!

I feel bad now for my mates that were saving to buy houses while I was out spending money like it was water over the last few years. I really shouldnt be rewarded for my stupidity but c'est la vie, I help my mates as best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                ah come on now, you know well what surviving means in 2010. You can't have it both ways We all agree the Sw cuts are unavoidable.
                                Im paraphrasing of course.
                                you are sending mixed messages.
                                1) We're all fucked emigrate, take yer money and run, everyone else you and your kids will be broke forever

and then

2) What do you mean you can't survive , you won't die. sure the English dole boys survive on low dole

1) There will be zero growth, if you want a job emigrate, etc etc

and then

2) You have to cut the dole as much as possible and force those people who are better off on the scratcher than working to work.

so force the unemployed to emigrate is really what you are saying here after all there will be no jobs

So it's not quite the famine give up everything bar the essentials, food water, heat.
                                and fk the unemployed, let them eat cheeze or fk off.

Why should the poor suffer so much. Middle class cough up I'm afraid.
                                Jaysus, it's a rare thing when I'm nodding my head to a Solksjaer post.
                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

You knew it was going to be bad. You knew the guys driving the bus was a dangerous idiot and you therefore carefully put on your seat belt and stayed tucked in the crash position. It didn't matter a bit your still going to get hit real bad.

I wonder if we'll have riots tonight or on Saturday.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                    So basically do nothing? sweet.

I have good health insurance through the job and apparently the pension is great too.

I wont be having kids anytime soon although me and the pope share the same opinion on certain contraceptions so maybe I should look at that!

I feel bad now for my mates that were saving to buy houses while I was out spending money like it was water over the last few years. I really shouldnt be rewarded for my stupidity but c'est la vie, I help my mates as best I can.
                                    You might want to think about reigning in the water wasting now alright

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                      You knew it was going to be bad. You knew the guys driving the bus was a dangerous idiot and you therefore carefully put on your seat belt and stayed tucked in the crash position. It didn't matter a bit your still going to get hit real bad.

Doubt it. Xfactor is on.

Fuck this depressing BBV i'm off to kill some Nazi Zombies in COD BO

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                        Much prefer these RTE player commercial breaks compared to the tv, the screen just says 'commerical break' and goes quiet for a few minutes.
                                        well, since you're watching online instead of on tv, you wouldnt need a €160 tv licence, so why would you need to watch paid for ads?! RTÉ are clowns.
                                        http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Re: those asking about opening a Keytrade bank account, I completed the online application about 3 weeks ago and send off the required documents; yesterday I got the first two letters from them with my online username / ID so now am just waiting on the Keytrade ID device (guessing it is the same as the one Rabodirect sends you when you open an account there). Bit of a slow turnaround to be honest.

If the next Government (FG / Lab hopefully) have a big enough majority (looks likely), I'm guessing they will be able to force through a reduction of the old age pension in the following December's budget, and FF probably realise this and are happy to let a rock-solid government take on the grey beards.

Will be interested in seeing the breakdown in the changes to CGT...one tax I'm always relatively happy to pay, I'd love to cut a cheque for €1,000,000 to the Revenue for CGT!

Comment

I'd be very very surprised if the ictu protest goes off without violence

Comment

Chavvy?, we really are turning into little Britain over here.

that money looks to be going back into the economy if the above is true.

Comment

Only long term job I've had as of yet was on minimum wage.

Minimum wage does not follow cost, and costs do not follow minimum wage. They are both inputs of each other.
                                                Well if your allowed give a simple argument why can't I?

everything is cost
                                                min wage people spend
                                                cut wage, cut business outgoings
                                                cut spend, cut society/business incomes

Service industry economics

make stuff, sell stuff!

fair spread of cuts means everyone affected, means spenders will still to an extent spend

im just saying that the "cutting the min wage will get people off dole" argument at this time is a rubbish argument

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                  Jaysus, it's a rare thing when I'm nodding my head to a Solksjaer post.
                                                  but what is he actually saying?

figuratively murder the middle classes (of which he is one, even though he'll probably deny it ) in order to keep the non-productive folks in SW-bubble benefit heaven?

there's no equity in that and it's also bad economics

Comment

we're displaying worrying levels of doublethink, I hope you're not my secret long-lost brother
                                                    Lend me a few euros bro?

Comment

Chavvy?, we really are turning into little Britain over here.

that money looks to be going back into the economy if the above is true.

Well paid mate of mine always argues against dole cuts because
                                                      "they pump the money straight into the economy anyway"

Comment

not tonight, Champions League is on plus it's cold outside

Comment

Lend me a few euros bro?
                                                          sure, np

babysit your niece and nephew for the weekend bro?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                            The song "Sleepyhead" from the album was offered from iTunes for free in 2009 and since has appeared in several ads, including Top Gear [15] advertisements in Australia, and most notably in spots for the Palm Pixi.[16] Also, the song appeared in a PSP Canada advertisement.[17] It was used in a season 3 episode of the Channel 4 teen-drama, Skins. The song was most recently used in the debut trailer for LittleBigPlanet 2.[18] This made the band more popular amongst fans of the game and soon an in game instrumental was made by players.

The song "Moth's Wings" was used in a season 3 episode of the CW teen-drama Gossip Girl, as well as the video game FIFA 10 and the closing credits of Episode 36 of HBO's Big Love. It is also featured in the upcoming film Life As We Know It, starring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel. In addition to this, the track has also be used as a background theme for Sky Sports' coverage of the UEFA Champions League.

The PS22 chorus sang background vocals on the songs "The Reeling", "Little Secrets", "Let Your Love Grow Tall".

The song "Let Your Love Grow Tall" was used in a season 4 episode of the TV series "Ugly Betty"

"To Kingdom Come" was used in the Rhapsody commercial concerning its iPhone application.

Their music has been featured in loads of stuff - Pretty sure,you'd know them from Gossip Girl and Ugly Betty though
                                                            Defo Fifa 10!

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                            American TV show, macabre was used a lot in it.

Quiet good actually, same people who made My Name Is Earl.
                                                            Its actually very good.
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                              Jaysus, it's a rare thing when I'm admitting to nodding my head to a Solksjaer post.
                                                              FYP

Comment

Really pissed off with this...I was too young for the riots in the eighty's and now to old.FML
                                                                twitter
                                                                moneybookers

Comment

bah, small open economy so most of it goes straight out of here

Comment

Wasting water is one of my main joys. I love how free it is to flush the toilet.
                                                                    Sometimes I give it a second flush even when it is unnecessary just because I can, and because it's FREE!

Comment

was tongue in cheek there.

Comment

TableNinja is just after fucking me up for a session.

Sat down to my daily 2 hours multitabling session of 15 $3.25 turbo 6-man SNG's on stars.

Obv have this set up on sit-n-go sensei on tableninja to speed up precess and keep me registered into 15 tables for 2 hours.

So up fires 15 tables and off I go, except there's not one $3.25 turbo 6-man sng. Instead they are a mix of $16 turbo FR, $11 DON FR, $10.40 knockouts, and $6.75 normal speed.

WTF??

Obv, I'm grinding away at the lower limit SNG's to eventually move up levels when BR has increased to justify the move. But this totally knocked me, as not only was I playing above my level and BR, but also the different formats really made sure I was never going to get out with any +ROI.

Ended up costing me $60 for that fuck up.

Thing is I don't know why it happened? Anyone else had this happen to you?

Personally I love Tableninja as I can 15-20 table with no stress at all using it, but I'd like to find out what could have caused this mistake, whether it was me or the software.
                                                                        NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

How was this allowed to be shown pre watershed, chick from Corrie

[NSFW="Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy!"][/NSFW]
                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Well if your allowed give a simple argument why can't I?

everything is cost
                                                                            min wage people spend
                                                                            cut wage, cut business outgoings
                                                                            cut spend, cut society/business incomes

Service industry economics

make stuff, sell stuff!

fair spread of cuts means everyone affected, means spenders will still to an extent spend

im just saying that the "cutting the min wage will get people off dole" argument at this time is a rubbish argument

I'm on my phone so can't really reply properly, I was answering both yours and damo's posts on the matter. Seemed as though damo was unsure why at all theyd go near minimum wage.

I gave the theory behind the reduction, in an oversimplified way.

To answer the above post will take me some more time, as I'd rather not give you such an easy out again! Essentially, the cuts have to start somewhere, and depending on your approach and thoughts on the available outcomes, minimum wage can be your first step.

Whether it is the correct first step has to do with information not readily accessible to me...

Comment

let's get ourselves in check here lads, it's really not that bad.

We still have a better standard of living than any of the previous generations had. We have better education, better healthcare and better opportunities in front of us. We have access to incredible communications and communities through technology, and the world has become a very small place for those of us that have a desire to travel and see it. We'll eat and drink better, and live longer than our predecessors and there's never been a better time to be grateful for everything that we have when compared to the vast bulk of the worlds population. The very fact that we have shelter, clothing & food puts us far closer to the top of the ladder than it does to the bottom.

So we'll pay extra taxes, but only if have the income to do so.
                                                                              We'll pay for our property, but only if we own one.
                                                                              We'll pay more for our cars, but only if we have them.
                                                                              We'll retire later, but we'll live far longer.

Honestly, at times I feel we don't even know we're born in this country. We have our health, our families and friends, access to education and the means to communicate and be made to feel part of something bigger than our small circle as well as the opportunity to make a life for ourselves in a relatively peaceful time.

It's great to be alive
                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

bah, small open economy so most of it goes straight out of here
                                                                                hence the

Japanese did well out of our boom times

was tongue in cheek there.
                                                                                See above

He generally says it to wind people up
                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 24-11-10, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

We still have a better standard of living than any of the previous generations had. We have better education, better healthcare and better opportunities in front of us. We have access to incredible communications and communities through technology, and the world has become a very small place for those of us that have a desire to travel and see it. We'll eat and drink better, and live longer than our predecessors and there's never been a better time to be grateful for everything that we have when compared to the vast bulk of the worlds population. The very fact that we have shelter, clothing & food puts us far closer to the top of the ladder than it does to the bottom.

Honestly, at times I feel we don't even know we're born in this country. We have our health, our families and friends, access to education and the means to communicate and be made to feel part of something bigger than our small circle as well as the opportunity to make a life for ourselves in a relatively peaceful time.

It's great to be alive
                                                                                  all very true bar you omitted the point that we have been f*cked up the ass by an incompetent, greed driven government who's poor decisions got us into this mess
                                                                                  You see Billy it's like this, you either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked

Comment

@Raoul

That Alan Ahern guy you mentioned a few days back seems to be working for Lenny now.

Comment

but what is he actually saying?

figuratively murder the middle classes (of which he is one, even though he'll probably deny it ) in order to keep the non-productive folks in SW-bubble benefit heaven?

there's no equity in that and it's also bad economics
                                                                                      not saying that at all, I agreed with the cuts but not with your severity.

picking and choosing points is fun. You did at one stage in the old BBV welcome Cowen to the game when Bertie hightailed it. lol. I could possibly find it for the lols but I'm sure it was just a relative statement

Comment

Can we please change the names of the werewolf poker accounts to that of government ministers for the next game?

Comment

Can we please change the names of the werewolf poker accounts to that of government ministers for the next game?
                                                                                          WW is dead

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

It's great to be alive
                                                                                            There is every chance that this generation will work longer than the previous.
                                                                                            Some reports suggest that it could be the first generation with a shorter life expectancy also, though they were american reports and it related to childhood obesity which I don't believe is as much of a problem here.

WW is dead
                                                                                            You're dead.

Comment

not saying that at all, I agreed with the cuts but not with your severity.
                                                                                              the funny thing is Solks, those 'cuts' announced today (by a government that won't exist when the time comes to implement them but let's park that for now) are actually utterly unrealistic - if this truly is a recovery plan. They have totally overestimated growth and they have totally underestimated debt servicing costs.

things are much, much worse than a literal reading of this plan would imply

we are going to default, the quantum of debt is just too high

and when that happens, the dole will go to maybe 50 quid a week - if we're lucky.

picking and choosing points is fun. You did at one stage in the old BBV welcome Cowen to the game when Bertie hightailed it. lol. I could possibly find it for the lols but I'm sure it was just a relative statement
                                                                                              Cowen is still >>>>Bertie

he might be an incompetent drunk but he's not a crook!

Comment

@Raoul

That Alan Ahern guy you mentioned a few days back seems to be working for Lenny now.
                                                                                                has been for two years

Comment

Comment

Yo Momma so fat she downloaded cheats for the Wii Fit

Comment

I thought you said he was good?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaps View Post
                                                                                                        all very true bar you omitted the point that we have been f*cked up the ass by an incompetent, greed driven government who's poor decisions got us into this mess
                                                                                                        but that's irrelevant really. Our "mess" as you put it is nothing but a pipe dream for the vast majority of the worlds population.

In 2005 (last reliable research) there were 2.6billion people living on less than $2 a day. Now I know that everything is relative but regardless of how relative you make it I think you'd struggle to find a single one of them that wouldn't swap places with us in a heartbeat. What we go through is relatively difficult, but in the greater scheme of things it's a lot of moaning about nothing.
                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I thought you said he was good?
                                                                                                          guess he got deprogrammed

Comment

The two Brians are really astounding liars - really - it is almost incredulous. They aren't even very good at lying, despite how often they engage in it!

I wonder what emigration will be like next year? If we have a really high level of emigration will that depress internal demand for goods and services and thus reduce the chance of the economy growing? Or will that be offset by savings made because of less SW paid out?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                              The two Brians are really astounding liars - really - it is almost incredulous. They aren't even very good at lying, despite how often they engage in it!

I wonder what emigration will be like next year? If we have a really high level of emigration will that depress internal demand for goods and services and thus reduce the chance of the economy growing? Or will that be offset by savings made because of less SW paid out?
                                                                                                              net effect of emigration is good for the exchequer in the short term

obviously it's a disaster in the long run

Comment

Let's all forget our woes with some Scarlett.

nswf
                                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                                What movie is this from please!!!!

Comment

ouch Lenihan just got creamed on CNBC

interviewer basically called him a liar to his face

Comment

Could anyone recommend an IT recruitment Firm in Sydney? Ideally one that can facilitate sponsored visas

Cheers!

Comment

ouch Lenihan just got creamed on CNBC

interviewer basically called him a liar to his face
                                                                                                                      Details?

Comment

WW is dead
                                                                                                                        But Turbo WW lives on!
                                                                                                                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Details?
                                                                                                                          said the banks were functioning well and the interviewer loll'd and said if that was true, there wouldn't be a mass exodus of deposits. Which there is.

then he asked him about shorts on BoI and leni hadn't a breeze what he talking about

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X