• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trip is really good, looking forward to next weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      or your Finnish?
      Oops. Don't know what I was at. All this talk of Germany.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      The middle point as to this is their fault?
      That, I'm afraid is bullshit.
      We have to remember that we as a nation are quite young and democracy was/is still a new system to the irish psyche. That mindset, WW2, communism, ignorance (on a national level), no infrastructure and good old common greed kept FF in power more than lazy voters. The thing is, the older generation are still much more likely to vote, get organized and protest than the current cynics of our generation.

As for a drop to match deflation, while on paper it seems good, it would never get back in line.

Old people have a god given right to piss themselves, have a few pints and not worry about shit like the tv fucking license. I for one, cant wait to be that old.
      I take your point on Ireland being young as a nation.
      Why can it not be linked to inflation?
      The older generation have helped kept FF in power most of their lives, including Bertie whom some still hold dear to their heart.
      I just don't understand why they should be fully insulated from taking even a cut in line with the cost of living decrease we've experienced of late.

They can still have their few pints, soil themselves and get a free tv licence if they are over 70, amongst other things.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post

EDIT 2: Also surely the transfer fees for regular payment transfers will lower the interest received even more.
      €0.51c.

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
      we did ask for capitalism and I always understood that to mean that the best guy gets paid most and the more you work the more you gain.
      I don't think it always works out that way.
      Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 09-11-10, 19:31.
      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Highly impressed that everyone seems to have all this money to move to other countries!

How are ye all dealing with the DIRT issue?

EDIT: also what are ye doing with tonnes of savings in the bank at relatively young ages, when you should be investing in stocks for the long-term growth unless you need the money in the short term. Keytrade is offering about 2% interest, meaning you are effectively losing money every year because of EU-wide inflation.

EDIT 2: Also surely the transfer fees for regular payment transfers will lower the interest received even more. Because presumably you will be keeping this up, with transfers to Keytrade regularly, as it would take quite a few years for any bankruptcy of an Irish bank to happen (at least four years, provided the EU approves our budget reduction plan, which seems like a done deal, and the recapitalised three main banks could easily hang on with just relatively 'minor' defaults of 100,000 mortgages, especially as a lot of the mortgage defaults will be from the newer i.e. foreign lenders)
        It's not the threat of banks going bust that is prompting this, it is the prospect of the punt nua scenario that raoul etc are going on about that is driving this.

Also, the 2% interest there is a hell of a lot more than my money gets at the moment

I'm good at not spending money, not so good at making it grow in the best way.

Comment

Any one remember someone posting a video of the worlds fastest Greyhound few months ago? Great video.Wanted to show someone but can find it anywhere on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            Can anyone help here: Got a new LG W3000h 30" monitor today, but its only running at half resolution and I cant get it above there. Drivers of it and gfx card are up to date.
            Do you have two outputs on your graphics card? If so, try the other output

Also, anyone playing the voodoo 25 tonight?
            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zod;190277]Do you have two outputs on your graphics card? If so, try the other output
              /QUOTE]

2 outputs, one of which is DVI and is driving my other monitor.

Comment

if i have 200 names in an excel sheet, how do i make 200 labels without typing out every name! There must be a way on publisher/word...help?

Need help asap. Thanks guys, Im not very techy

Comment

One dvi and one VGA then.... What resolution is it at? Also, have you got the latest drivers from manufacturers website?

Comment

Yeah latest drivers for monitor and graphics card. Max it will let me set it too is 1280 x 800. Max of monitor is 2560 x 1600.

My other 22" is running fine at 1600 x 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                      if i have 200 names in an excel sheet, how do i make 200 labels without typing out every name! There must be a way on publisher/word...help?

insert column type A1 in 1sr then drag down to 200 it will increment the alphanumeric column.

igore if I don't get what you mean by labels.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                        insert column type A1 in 1sr then drag down to 200 it will increment the alphanumeric column.

igore if I don't get what you mean by labels.
                        is this serious, i can never tell with you?

like a name tag label

Comment

is this serious, i can never tell with you?

like a name tag label

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

If I have funds in a poker account/betfair, and we drop out of the euro, will they get frozen/converted? I really don't want to move money out of the country cos I use it very regularly.

Also, would like an excuse to borrow as much money as possible from Irish banks in the next short while? Any good ideas?
                              Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Yeah latest drivers for monitor and graphics card. Max it will let me set it too is 1280 x 800. Max of monitor is 2560 x 1600.

My other 22" is running fine at 1600 x 1080.
                                Can you run the new monitor through the dvi to see if you get full resolution? Can you run the old monitor through the VGA?

Comment

ahh. Just been passing over those posts about the punt nua as thought ye were pisstaking tbh! Obv there's no harm having the money abroad if the transfer costs are only €0.51 (as per Lotto). Think I'm just more concerned (well probably not concerned - interested might be a better word!) about the underlying mania behind why ye would believe such stories.

Also young people keeping significant amounts of money in a lose-money savings account is fairly poor long-term planning!

Just as a simple illustration (and this won't be too accurate as have made some simplfying assumptions, but it won't be too far off either as used a pension calculator):

Let's assume you are 35. You either save or invest €1,000 per month for the next 30 years and then retire. We'll also assume that your saving/investing rate rises at 3% per annum.

Option 1: You save in a zero real interest account (i.e. the interest rate just matches inflation, like with Keytrade). You will end up with a monthly pension that will last approx 30 years and pay you €1,000 per month in today's money.

Option 2: You invest in a world stock index and long-term bond portfolio and earn a return over the inflation rate of 5% per year (easily achieveable based on historic stock and bond returns). You will end up with a monthly pension that will last approx 30 years and pay you €4,000 per month in today's money.

... that's a fairly spectacular difference!
                                  Am I missing something (probably am) or is everybody ignoring the tax advanages (I only know about PAYE workers) of puting money into a pension?
                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

The function is called mail merge.
                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

ahh. Just been passing over those posts about the punt nua as thought ye were pisstaking tbh! Obv there's no harm having the money abroad if the transfer costs are only €0.51 (as per Lotto). Think I'm just more concerned (well probably not concerned - interested might be a better word!) about the underlying mania behind why ye would believe such stories.

Also young people keeping significant amounts of money in a lose-money savings account is fairly poor long-term planning!

Just as a simple illustration (and this won't be too accurate as have made some simplfying assumptions, but it won't be too far off either as used a pension calculator):

Let's assume you are 35. You either save or invest €1,000 per month for the next 30 years and then retire. We'll also assume that your saving/investing rate rises at 3% per annum.

Option 1: You save in a zero real interest account (i.e. the interest rate just matches inflation, like with Keytrade). You will end up with a monthly pension that will last approx 30 years and pay you €1,000 per month in today's money.

Option 2: You invest in a world stock index and long-term bond portfolio and earn a return over the inflation rate of 5% per year (easily achieveable based on historic stock and bond returns). You will end up with a monthly pension that will last approx 30 years and pay you €4,000 per month in today's money.

Again with the assumption of planning. I don't save money, I just don't spend all I earn. There is a difference there.

Also, I have a pension that has been going for 10 years or so, and I put investing in the stock market along with betting on horse racing in that I don't understand either, so don't put money into either. Apart from the pension money, which I presume is in stocks, etc, losing mone merrily due to retarded traders.

Comment

Comment

what version of office have you got?
                                          Mail Merge is the answer, fairly idiot proof.
                                          In word, tools ---mail merge
                                          from source (excel fiile)
                                          choose size of label
                                          job done.

That's a jist of it anyway
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I dont know what Labels or mail merge mean. until now.

I do however have a tracker mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                              Can you run the new monitor through the dvi to see if you get full resolution? Can you run the old monitor through the VGA?
                                              thats how it is at the moment. New monitor only has DVI out.

Comment

There's a good bit in the CFA curriculum about this. It's pretty amazing when you think about it. I'd say the majority of the general are option 1 which is quite sad really.

I think there's an awful lot of stigma associated with investing in anything other than a savings account. Mainly the premise that investing is gambling. Such a shame.

Comment

Did anyone else order those ridic moustaches after I did?

Just realised I'm still waiting on them!

Comment

thats how it is at the moment. New monitor only has DVI out.
                                                    zuutroy I'm fairly sure that for a monitor that size you will have to use a dual-link DVI connection to achieve the max resolution. VGA won't have enough bandwidth to cope.

Comment

ah come on Tommy, thought you might be one of the sane ones! Are you serious?! How could the UK-based Betfair and Pokerstars, or any of the others for that matter, possibly freeze your account on any legal basis? How could they possibly switch your money into some unauthorised currency?
                                                      Well if we do drop out of the euro, which is definitely a realistic event, then there is a provision in law (Maastricht Treaty perhaps?) that government can freeze domestic accounts and transfer them to the new currency. Clearly this has to be the case if we do drop out. Also, the official exchange rate would also obv be a rapery of any forced transfers. Thus, want my money somewhere that there is no downside.

It would be an authorised currency, and it has legal basis. How likely it is is a different question, and one in which I guess we have different answers.

Comment

Originally posted by niav View Post
                                                        zuutroy I'm fairly sure that for a monitor that size you will have to use a dual-link DVI connection to achieve the max resolution. VGA won't have enough bandwidth to cope.
                                                        Yeah I think thats what I have. VGA is running my second, smaller monitor.

Comment

Govt freezes domestic accounts Tommy, as in AIB / BOI / Permanent TSB.

Essentially all the euro in Ireland (that is known to the Govt) becomes CurrencyX. At whatever exchange rate the Govt feels is suitable.

If you have money in Pokerstars etc, they are with that company, essentially, that money has completely left Ireland at this stage, and the Govt has no claim to it, nor knows it exists.

The money that Raoul is urging people to move is hefty deposit accounts which have a decent wedge of danger

Comment

Lots of people have money in savings rather than investments right now because they believe that there may not be much value in worldwide equities; my net worth is divided 50 / 50 between cash and equities / commodities and I think that the stock market could easily be in bubble territory...so I'd rather cash than overpriced equities in this circumstance! I think the next few years are all about asset preservation, not asset growth (this will be much more difficult!), as the world economy continues to de-leverage and hopefully avoid pumping up some more asset bubbles (this will also be difficult if government pursue more QE and keep the printing presses running!)

In a nutshell, for the moment having a larger % of your net worth in cash than is deemed suitable for a young person may not be such a bad thing! As long as you can preserve its value of course...

Comment

Yeah I think thats what I have. VGA is running my second, smaller monitor.
                                                              Is it working now? Not all DVI cards are dual-link capable. You may have to get a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                Lots of people have money in savings rather than investments right now because they believe that there may not be much value in worldwide equities; my net worth is divided 50 / 50 between cash and equities / commodities and I think that the stock market could easily be in bubble territory...so I'd rather cash than overpriced equities in this circumstance! I think the next few years are all about asset preservation, not asset growth (this will be much more difficult!), as the world economy continues to de-leverage and hopefully avoid pumping up some more asset bubbles (this will also be difficult if government pursue more QE and keep the printing presses running!)

In a nutshell, for the moment having a larger % of your net worth in cash than is deemed suitable for a young person may not be such a bad thing! As long as you can preserve its value of course...
                                                                i think its even better again to have your money in the gamble!

Comment

Originally posted by niav View Post
                                                                  Is it working now? Not all DVI cards are dual-link capable. You may have to get a new card.
                                                                  Cheers. Its only about 2 years old (nvidia ge force 7200) so I thought it would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                    i think its even better again to have your money in the gamble!
                                                                    I'm the most pathetic gambler ever - I'll play a bit of blackjack occasionally but otherwise low-stakes poker is all I go for! Sports betting has never interested me in the slightest...

Comment

Cheers. Its only about 2 years old (nvidia ge force 7200) so I thought it would be ok.
                                                                      I'm not an expert on graphics cards but if you are looking for advice there are very knowledgeable guys on the Building & Upgrading section of Boards. I'm sure they will be able to recommend a reasonable replacement.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                          If I have funds in a poker account/betfair, and we drop out of the euro, will they get frozen/converted? I really don't want to move money out of the country cos I use it very regularly.

Also, would like an excuse to borrow as much money as possible from Irish banks in the next short while? Any good ideas?
                                                                          I'm sure there are Mandrins burning the midnight oil in the Dept of Finance trying to work out all the scenarios as we speak.

The only way we get a Punt Nua is if the Euro collapses completely with the Germans leaving first, while that could possibly happen its not something I'd be gambling on to the extent of borrowing against it.
                                                                          Also stashing it anywhere in Europe other than Norway would probably be as bad as not moving it.
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                            Anyone know of a way to get round bbc iplayer to view it from Ireland? Wanna watch The Trip from last night

Edit: found a dl but query still stands. Cheers
                                                                            I think I'm just gonna write a guide up for this it seems to come up every now and then.
                                                                            in the meantime
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                              Anyone know of a way to get round bbc iplayer to view it from Ireland? Wanna watch The Trip from last night

Edit: found a dl but query still stands. Cheers
                                                                              mgeni. simples

Share the link to the trip with your cousins please

Comment

...

Comment

I went out on Sunday night for a few beers to numb the head after all the live pokers in the Maldron. Ended up getting pretty drunk after long Island Ice teas, jager bombs and whatever else. Cant remember how but tripped or something going down the stairs in Whelan's. Woke up on the floor with my neck twisted against the wall and a bouncer over me telling me not to move. My head was pumping blood. I didn't really know what the fuck was going on. Told him to get the fuck off me and called him a name or 2. He got it through to me in the end.

An ambulance arrived, they strapped me into a stretcher and put a neck brace on. By this stage I was having a mini meltdown thinking "oh fuck, you've really done it this time". Was rushed to hospital and brought straight in to the ER. All a bit blurry here but as the doctor put it "I was less than charming". I can only imagine how much of a spanner I was.

After all of the tests and x-rays I was brought into a room for the night. I tried forcing my way out in my drunken state. They had to fully strap me into the bed. I wasn't happy with this at all. Kept telling them I was fine and to let me go home. Had to put the poker face on and tell them "ok ok I'll be good sorry" etc. As soon as they left and the coast was clear I unstrapped myself and legged it. I remember hiding whenever I saw someone coming my way but made it out and jumped a taxi home. WTF was I at like?!!

Anyway went back yesterday and had to wait in A&E for 13 hours before I was seen to at 5am this morning or so. X-rays came back and no breaks thank feck. Just bruised and battered all over. Worst is the deep cut going from my forehead to the top of my head about 3 inches long. Getting stitches on the noggin aint the nicest experience. Haven't had a proper look yet but I'm told it'll leave a nice scar. Could have been a hell of a lot worse and I consider it some serious run good that it wasn't!

I'm some gobshite. It's a wake up call all the same.

Dear Booze

We had some good times, some great times. But everything comes to an end. It's not you, it's me.

Regards
                                                                                  David

Gonna be missing out on the start of the ftops and probably have to give the ipb game a miss this weekend. I've got a date with my bed, painkillers and a load of films for the week.
                                                                                  It's all an illusion

Comment

managed to avoid spoilers so far so dont do it to me!!
                                                                                    any video reply of HU wsop final table or just the final table video i saw it as far as 5 handed? i think its on espn3 again tonight with hole cards but thats onlyn free to the US. maybe ATDHE.net are showing it again, they showed the live stream last night and saturday

Comment

.......

I doubt many people that are moving their money abroad at the moment are planning to leave it there in low interest accounts until they retire or with their pension in mind.

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                      There's a good bit in the CFA curriculum about this. It's pretty amazing when you think about it. I'd say the majority of the general are option 1 which is quite sad really.

I think there's an awful lot of stigma associated with investing in anything other than a savings account. Mainly the premise that investing is gambling. Such a shame.
                                                                                      It's closer to gambling if you have zero clue what you are at.
                                                                                      I had no clue what I was at and invested in a BOI fund a few years ago, it tanked obviously.

I still have no clue. If someone informed is able to recommend a fund that will perform long term and isn't run by morons, then I'll consider it.
                                                                                      Until then, I'll ship what I have left to the Germans to mind as I'll sleep a bit better in the interim.

I'd like to get informed, but it seems like a really difficult area to quantify.
                                                                                      A lot of people talk like they know their shit but most probably know very little like me.
                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Alcohol is the dumbest drug.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                                                                          but most probably know very little like me.
                                                                                          Admitting this to yourself is the first step in dealing with being a wingnut.WP.

Comment

This is fantastic, too long to not spoiler. 72zero enjoy number 10!
                                                                                            (stolen from boards)
                                                                                            SPOILER

Comment

...
                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 09-11-10, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                Alcohol is the dumbest drug.
                                                                                                how can you say such things

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Just any reputable bank that offers an index fund (not an actively traded fund) that is geographically well spread (ideally tracking something like the MSCI world index).

E.g. on first glance, something like this looks fine, although the fact that they don't say the fees anywhere on their website is presumably because they are Irish-style high:

As the famous recent analogy on the cost of some investment funds goes:
                                                                                                  So what you're saying is I should definitely get a tracker mortgage?
                                                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                    So what you're saying is I should definitely get a tracker mortgage?
                                                                                                    Good luck with trying to chisel one of those out of a bank at this stage.

Comment

I doubt many people that are moving their money abroad at the moment are planning to leave it there in low interest accounts until they retire or with their pension in mind.

It's closer to gambling if you have zero clue what you are at.
                                                                                                      I had no clue what I was at and invested in a BOI fund a few years ago, it tanked obviously.

I still have no clue. If someone informed is able to recommend a fund that will perform long term and isn't run by morons, then I'll consider it.
                                                                                                      Until then, I'll ship what I have left to the Germans to mind as I'll sleep a bit better in the interim.
                                                                                                      Sorry to hear about your BOI experience. I should've been a bit more specific when I said investing. I wasn't talking about a particular stock more like a portfolio with a mix of cash, stock, bonds, real estate, etc.

For someone in their mid twenties, it pays to be more aggressive in terms of having a greater proportion of your net worth invested in stocks (usually >50%). When I say stocks I don't mean BOI, AIB , Ryanair etc. I mean something like an exchange traded fund (etf) of the S&P 500, an emerging markets etf and maybe something like an etf for the Dow Jones Eurostoxx 50 to represent Europe. ETFs are an easy way of obtaining diversification which lowers risk. They basically track the overall performance of the index rather than just a single stock.

The portfolio mix will become more conservative as you become older i.e. a progressively greater weighting towards bonds, cash and real estate. Obviously this is just a general approach and the specifics would depend on the individual's circumstances.

Anyhow, that's my understanding of it from what I've learned in college and picked up in books. Hopefully, it's not woeful advice!

I'd like to get informed, but it seems like a really difficult area to quantify.
                                                                                                      A lot of people talk like they know their shit but most probably know very little like me.
                                                                                                      Very True. Obv I'm not an expert or nowhere near it. I just know a lot of the theory and would love the opportunity to practice it (i.e a job in the area)!

Buy "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and absorb the info. Everybody should have this book.

Comment

Connacht just beat Samoa in Galway - great result!

Comment

Stupid Yanks..bicyclists
                                                                                                          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

LOL typical in the Stoke game just now. Stoke defender hits it off his own post, birmingham then have a shot cleared off the line and about 3 shots blocked and it ends with a corner. Stoke break from the corner and Fuller scores an absolute peach.

Edit and just as I post Fashey scores with a chest and volley from just inside the box. Better game than expected!
                                                                                                            Last edited by sligoboi; 09-11-10, 21:19.
                                                                                                            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

http://www.worldometers.info/ this is pretty cool, real time statistics about the world.
                                                                                                              http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Stoke Birmingham game is mental.
                                                                                                                eoghanlyons.com

Comment

Van der Goal. Glad I didnt ship him out now

Comment

Had him out and only just got to it in time after I heard he was starting. Happy days
                                                                                                                    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                      Van der Goal. Glad I didnt ship him out now
                                                                                                                      + 1. Delighted.

Typical defending by Spurs to follow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                                                                        http://www.worldometers.info/ this is pretty cool, real time statistics about the world.
                                                                                                                        Interesting

10 million emails sent in 3 seconds but only 100,000 google searches in 3 seconds. Thought it would have been the other way around

Comment

not so HOT Spurs

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X