This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary O'Rourke talking about the old age pension not being cut

'You know, if you're a younger person, they can go earn a nixer or they have some other way of making a bit of money, but an old age pension has not'

13 minutes in.

Mad stuff altogether.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
      Mary O'Rourke talking about the old age pension not being cut

'You know, if you're a younger person, they can go earn a nixer or they have some other way of making a bit of money, but an old age pension has not'

13 minutes in.

Mad stuff altogether.
      Ya gotta love this country sometimes.
      http://mobro.co/zuroph
      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        Tara is fucking useless. More than that, her whole demeanour is instantly dislikeable. Her face, her gait, her voice, her tone is all so automatically argumentative and antagonistic. Bullish woman, always with the last word - and for what! She hasn't put forward an innovative idea since the start of the process.

The thing that really depresses me is that Irish offices up and down the country are full of women just like her. Awful.
        Tonight's posts might suggest checking with your GP tomorrow to ensure you haven't got seasonal misogyny disorder.

Glad to see the back of that bint though.

Comment

ace gonna ace?
          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            Tonight's posts might suggest checking with your GP tomorrow to ensure you haven't got seasonal misogyny disorder.

Glad to see the back of that bint though.
            lol! On the couch with Dr. Hotspur.

Yeah, I think my problem lies more with a particular type of Irish woman rather than women in general if that makes any sense.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Gonna be some fun on the Front Line, discussing the budget cuts.

Anyone give me Evens on the phrase 'the most vulnerable in society' being used. No, thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                Gonna be some fun on the Front Line, discussing the budget cuts.

Anyone give me Evens on the phrase 'the most vulnerable in society' being used. No, thought not.
                grab a bottle of whiskey, we'll come up with a drinking game.
                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

I hate that fecker Jamie and his dopey sidekick Will

(bit of balance on da wimmin hate)

Comment

Is the WSOP final table over? I dont want to know who wins just when it will be on pokertube.

Comment

Ha, I hate Roisin Ingle - who doesn't though?

Comment

Cliffs on what has happened on here over the last 3/4 days...

It appears I missed quite a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                          Cliffs on what has happened on here over the last 3/4 days...

It appears I missed quite a lot!
                          Zod will be along now to summarize it in 20,000 words.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                            Maybe her kids like her?
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Though I very much agree with this opinion piece on the whole thing.

This a little self righteous and over the top on the other hand.
                              From the editor of the Metro Herald:

It's taking place in Copper Face Jack's, like a killer returning to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                Going back and forth between the two countries recently: Irish women are far more classily dressed than Brit preston women imo. (but that's not really that debateable in any case, given the low incomes of the brits preston girls) Looks-wise they're grand with some absolute stunners; but obviously drinking pints and eating generally bad food are always going to have them looking worse than the likes of the continentals. Mainly the bad food rather than the beer though.
                                fyp.

I make the occasional trip across the water and at no time have I seen girls wearing pyjamas in public.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

we all transferred our money out of the country and signed up for punt nua.

Emmet tilted and lost his roll online, Ace was the anonymous cleaner,("jokingly") tried to encourage emmet to reload on here and then admitted it was him.

Smurph got her IO ticket sorted out nice and Early.
                                    Gholi hit a 12k payday scooping in a MTT.

Hitch-hikers gonna hitch-hike

Lots of drop out of the IPB deepstack game, but still loads of fishies in.

Denny Crane.

some levelling by FD at the end of the latest WW game
                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Obviously hope the pension doesn't have to be cut, but obviously all Mary is doing is trying to save her seat rather genuinely make the point.
                                      Pretty sure she doesn't have a seat to save. Isn't she a senator now? She's just speaking her mind for the lols. RTE is like an internet chat room to her

Edit: So she did get it back in 2007. My bad.
                                      Last edited by ComradeCollie; 08-11-10, 22:51.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Pretty cool video about not talking to the cops in America, the 5th Amendement, etc

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=related[/ame]

I'd love to Get Kayroo's [or anybody who knows about this issue] opinion on relevance of this advice in Ireland etc?

Comment

donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                            we all transferred our money out of the country and signed up for punt nua.

Emmet tilted and lost his roll online, Ace was the anonymous cleaner,("jokingly") tried to encourage emmet to reload on here and then admitted it was him.

Smurph got her IO ticket sorted out nice and Early.
                                            Gholi hit a 12k payday scooping in a MTT

Hitch-hikers gonna hitch-hike

Lots of drop out of the IPB deepstack game, but still loads of fishies in.

Denny Crane.

some levelling by FD at the end of the latest WW game
                                            cool missed those two. wd both.

Comment

It doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'm all for women being pictured in as little as possible, but they will regret that when their pupils find it, especially if they end up teaching in an all boys school surely
                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Plough View Post
                                                yeah you too. is there a thread somewhere?

your gf's hot
                                                Thread is here:

You should come if your about, will be a good laugh.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You see, the government should be a lot smarter about this whole pension issue. The whole idea of a State pension is going to become ever more ridiculous over the coming decades (in fact it already is!). But like it or lump it, people currently over 65 were promised this their whole working lives. Indeed, people over 55 have had this carrot dangled infront of them most of their working lives, and are at an age where they don't have time on the clock to make other provisions from scratch now.

But at a certain age, it surely should become acceptable to say 'folks, when you get to 66+, you're going to have to go your own way'. Why is that so fucking taboo? Certainly people under 35 have long been warned about making private provisions for retirement. I have no personal expectation of a liveable state pension when I reach 65. For me, the government strategy here is to come out and say:

- we'll cut full rate of state pension in correalation with the rate of deflation and no more;
                                                  - we'll do income assessment of those in receipt of a state pension, and if private provisions put you over a certain threshold you get less from the state the more you cross it;
                                                  - we're going to adjust promised state provisions by age going backwards - increasing retirement age and lowering potential top rate as we roll through the years;

As such, you make a decent saving in the short term, but in the medium to long term you make strides at significantly reducing the state's liabilities in this area as the years roll by. Given that a big part of our present International perception problems rest on the (correct) assumption that we cannot possibly meet our responsibilities in the long term, when it comes to austerity measures we really need a solid long term dimension to any cuts to state spending that this budget (or any budget) deigns to make.

And crucially, if you do it like above, you avoid all the retarded self serving anger that such (absolutely inevitable by the way) measures will stir up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                    It's times like this I wish Trump was in charge. He wouldn't suffer these planks. Triple firing ftw.

Tara's gotta go imo.
                                                    i couldn't agree more,

however i'd be worried he wouldn't hire anyone
                                                    http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had the pleasure of seeing Midlake play in Vicar street last night. Went along with no real expectations and was blown away. 5 guitarists and an off the chain drummer. A guy called John Grant(formerly of the Czars) was supporting. I have seen him before and he has a realy highly rated album out this year called the Queen of Denmark. Fine album. This site correlates every review http://www.anydecentmusic.com/review...f-Denmark.aspx They brought him out for the encore and played this song. Really beautiful song worth a listen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1r7LSDum_E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1r7LSDum_E[/ame]

Comment

Dexter is awesome as always, now with Sick boy present so how can anyone not love this show?

Also if The Walking Dead ends up disappointing me after the first 2 episodes I am going to bust a nut.

Comment

She was taking earlier about tonnes of OAPs being in negative equity on their houses and this would decimate them! What pension would have a mortgage on their house if they were only in receipt of the state non-contributory pension?! Unless she doesn't realise that that's what negative equity implies, which is potentially more likely as she has always been a special type of dumb.

Obviously hope the pension doesn't have to be cut, but obviously all Mary is doing is trying to save her seat rather genuinely make the point.
                                                          Having read this thread, I hope they do cut it.

Comment

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

- Discussion of child benefit;
                                                            - New speaker, his take: "what about the director of the HSE, he earns €300k per annum - why not cut his wages?";
                                                            - Audience claps;

Fuck the retards that inhabit this country. Our anger and attention is directed at all the wrong things. All we want / like to do (and have been doing the past two years) is play the never ending blame game. No - one is willing to take responsibility, no - one willing to give anything up, no - one willing to propose any solutions.

And crucially, the thing that people should be most furious about - the complete lack of innovation and problem solving ability of all the current parties - gets barely noticed.

Comment

Take a drink!
                                                              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Valor View Post
                                                                Pretty cool video about not talking to the cops in America, the 5th Amendement, etc

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'd love to Get Kayroo's [or anybody who knows about this issue] opinion on relevance of this advice in Ireland etc?
                                                                I am by no means a legal eagle, but have you ever heard of a case on these shores where the defence has refused to answer a question from the state on the grounds that their answer may incriminate themselfs ? This is the 5th ammendment to the constitution of the united states, we do not have any right/ammendment in our constitution afaik, you would be regarded as hostile and uncooperative in our courts imo.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

A country of interest groups. Every single interest group, from the unemployed to pensioners to public sector workers to students to privately employed PAYE workers should all get fucked and take their medicine if they want to stay here. What we need (and what we haven't got) is a politician / group of politicians brave enough to fuck them all and completely re imagine how the state interacts with the populace at all levels and invests public expenditure.
                                                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-11-10, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                                                    Zod will be along now to summarize it in 20,000 words.
                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                      Remember the Roisin Bungle blog that used to pop up back on Boards?

Thursday, September 01, 2005 - My Collected Columns

Those of you who can't get enough of my columns in the Naas Herald will be delighted to hear my collected works have been published by Gluteus Maximus Press. "Overweight, Overpayed and Over Here - Part 1 of my AMAZING life" is now available from all good book shops.

Here's the press release from gluteusmaximus.com:

"Roisin Bungle’s column in The Naas Herald Saturday Magazine is relished by thousands of readers every week. In her disarmingly open, thought-provoking style, which always raises a smile, she holds forth on life, love and everything in between. Collected here for the first time in book form, the columns are accompanied by PROVOCATIVE new writing in which she reflects on the death of her FATHER, her EX-HUSBAND and the personal DEMONS she has struggled with all her life. Dealing with her tender years in the Urban Ghetto of SANDYMOUNT, her prize-winning LEGS, her ineptitude on a bicycle and her BOYFRIEND from the years spent treating her body as a ‘CHIPS BAG' as opposed to a temple to the insights she achieved while dipping her toes in YOGA, she writes about her journey so far with all the tenderness, humour and honesty fans have come to expect. "OW,OP&OH" will stir, engage and delight Roisin’s regular reader’s who often find their lives reflected back through her pen. "

Reflected back through a pen? Who writes this stuff? Oh, that's right.....

Luv Roisin
                                                                      Saturday, September 03, 2005 - Im really SPIRITUAL

I've just got back from a week-long 'Fatra' in France which is a kind of really cool SPIRITUAL holiday. It was really amazing, I had to do Number 2 in a field on a number of occasions, myself and my BOYFRIEND shared this really tiny tent that meant he had to sleep outside most of the time but then his asthma got aggravated by the pollen and his glasses kept steaming up and his rickety back was badly effected by the damp grass but I slept like an 18 stone baby I can tell you.

We spent our days in a convoy of 200 German hippies and deluded new-age types snaking through the countryside from field to field like a SPIRITUAL plague of locusts, eating entire pumpkins raw like an apple and chasing down and eating sheep and cows before burning huge pits of our accumulated Number 2. Our leaders 'Spider' and 'Angie' read us extracts from really deep, SPIRITUAL books like Jeffrey Archer's 'The Bonfire of the Vanities' which is all about how possessions and materialism are completely WRONG. We gladly gave all our money, our watches and our shoes to 'Spider' who was going to use the cash to sponsor a meditation for world peace in the year 2020 which is going to be a really deep and SPIRITUAL year.

After my BOYFRIEND got out of hospital he said he wanted to go and relax on a beach for a week to recover but then I saw a poster for a week of self-flagellation in a former Guardia Civil torture chamber outside Barcelona. When he said he didn't want to go I told him I woulnd't let him wear my underwear any more so he said OK.

When we got there it was totally great with lots of other self-loathing fat people whipping themselves with chains, eating gravel and broken glass and sleeping on spikes. My brother Dave who is totally SPIRITUAL and really good at YOGA and has lived in INDIA and everything (and runs really good YOGA classes in the Merrion Centre on Wednesday nights) told me to nab the best spike for myself which I duly did.

After 2 weeks of putting my shameful fat shabby hide through hell I really feel a much more whole person. I only wish I didn't have to write this column to make ends meet. But you probably wish that too, right?

Luv Roisin
                                                                      Sunday, September 11, 2005 - Misery means MONEY

Some of my regular readers recently asked me "are there no depths you will not sink to in order to sell more copies of your book?", and the answer is a resounding NO. As you avid fans will know by now, my collected columns "Overweight, Overpayed and Over Here: Part 1 of my AMAZING Life" is available now from Gluteus Maximus Press and features EXCITING NEW LITERARY WRITING about my upbringing in strife-torn Sandymount, Dublin 4. As one of 364 children brought up in a 1/2 bedroom lean-to in the notorious shanty-town that is Sandymount I never had it easy, which makes it all the more AMAZING that I have gone on to become such a BRILLIANT journalist and writer of SERIOUS LITERARY FICTION.

As that old boy who wrote Angela's Ashes will tell you, misery sells big in this day and age, and we all need reminding of the dark days before vol-au-vents, stuffed olives and dinner parties when all there was to eat was chips, which you could only get by STEALING from your mother's purse. My publishers at GM told me to lay it on thick as possible so that even those people who think that an aging labrador could write better formed prose will feel GUILTY about not liking my work and think to themselves "ah its only a tenner and that Rosin had a HARD life in the slums of Sandymount".

So far so good, in the first 2 weeks alone I have sold FIVE copies as follows.

One to My poor Gin-Soaked WORKING CLASS mother who runs her own chain of succesful boutiques in Naas having dragged herself from the cesspits of Dublin 4 by her own Jimmy Choo-straps.

One to my brother Dave who is amazing at YOGA and is really SPIRITUAL and has been to INDIA and everything.

One to my BOYFRIEND with whom I regularly have SEX

One to my EX-HUSBAND who even paid postage to his home town in Latvia

One to my CLEANER who is really POOR and has never even eaten a sundried tomato, but I get great mileage out of my crises of conscience hiring menial labourers as I am from such a HARD upbringing myself.

If these sales keep up we may have to go into another edition in 2037!

Luv Roisin
                                                                      Saturday, September 17, 2005 - My Sister is so AMAZING

My sister Assumpta Bungle is so AMAZING. As you know we all had to drag ourselves up from the slums of Sandymount, Dublin 4 and you would think it sufficiently mind-boggling that one out of the 364 children in our family would go on to achieve such FAME and CELEBRITY as I have, but that's not the full story let me tell you. Of course there's my brother Dave who is really SPIRITUAL and good at YOGA and has been to INDIA and everything, but Assumpta is something different. First of all she's the only member of the Bungle clan to have gone to UNIVERSITY as she's so amazingly brainy. She has a CDVEC in Book-keeping from the prestigious Ballsbridge Business College for the Financially Stable and Intellectually Challenged, or BBCFSIC for short. Which is an amazing coincidence as she now works as a receptionist in the FSIC which is where all the big banks and things are.

While Assumpta may have the brains and the high powered CAREER she doesn't have my FABULOUS life and friends, so occasionally I like to take her out to show her the high life of a Journalist and writer of SERIOUS LITERARY FICTION. As a businesswoman she always dresses in really amazing SUITS from Penneys worn with a T-SHIRT! whereas I normally wear brown sackcloth covered in chip fat, melted chocolate and semen as my BOYFRIEND doesn't like me to take my clothes off when we have SEX. Which we do a LOT.

I brought Assumpta along to meet some of my glamorous friends who are also HOMOSEXUALS, which if you peruse any women's magazine or watch TV will know are FABULOUS people to be friends with as even though deep down they despise women and want to have sex with their mirror image as a profound expression of their supreme vanity they pretend to like to talk about SHOPPING and MEN. Much like my alter-ego Carrie Bradshaw I attend great parties full of HOMOSEXUALS the whole time which is FABULOUS I can tell you. After a super amazing launch of a CHAMPAGNE or some other great product I can't be bothered to make up we went across the road to the PORTER HOUSE as we have WORKING CLASS roots and really like nothing better than washing down a truckload of vol-au-vents and stuffed olives with a big dirty feed of PINTS. There we met my friend Crispin and his new boyfriend Campion De La Fey (his real name - WOW!) who is a fulltime professional Charlie Chaplin impersonator. He told us that he once cried himself to sleep watching a Charlie Chaplin film after receiving the latest in a series of savage beatings from his alcoholic father and decided there and then to be GAY and FABULOUS and we all had an amazing time watching him twirl his cane and wiggle his little moustache.

I sometimes wish I was a man and a HOMOSEXUAL as they have such a FANTASTIC life, and my BOYFRIEND agrees with me. But at least I have my super brilliant sister who is one of the best Receptionists in the whole FSIC which is enough for me.

Luv Roisin
                                                                      Thursday, September 22, 2005 - Vote for ME!

Big News! I've been nominated for the Irish Tittle-Tattle Wimmin of the Year Awards 2005 which is an amazing step up for this POOR girl from the slums of Sandymount I can tell you. Admittedly I have won several awards on foot of my AMAZING legs (that's what my Creative Writing night course teacher calls "a pun") which resemble overstuffed sausages jammed into size 18 pumps.

They seem to have made a typo (or "Typographical Error" - that €50 at Ringsend VEC is paying for itself already) in my name, so to vote for me you need to scroll down to the Media section, click on Other and type in "Roisin Bungle".

I can't wait for the super-FABULOUS party and the wonderful opportunities for self-effacement and deprecation that being around all those AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL women will present. Guess I'll have to bring some extra choccie in my handbag, get really drunk on WINE, dance on a table, call Sharon Ni Bheolain a "Talentless slut" and wake up covered in my own vomit. It'll give me something to write about.

Back on saturday, Luv Roisin
                                                                      Saturday, September 24, 2005 - My BOYFRIEND is a PROTESTANT

As regular readers of my column will know by now, I have a BOYFRIEND and have been married and everything. What you may not know is that my BOYFRIEND is a PROTESTANT which means he comes from up NORTH and speaks differently and has completely different traditions and culture like listerning to BILLY BRAGG and stuff. Those of you not as politically astute as my good self may not realise the enormity of a Southern Catholic Bungle going with a Northern PROTESTANT Adair, but take it from me it is AMAZING as it is a total love-across-the-wires scenario much like Jude Law and Rachel Wice (who is great because she has curves and is womanly like me) in that film Enemy at the Gates which is all about the Russians during the Vietnam War.

Since my BOYFRIEND is a PROTESTANT and from up North and everything he is not as clued up about the importance of green issues, eating organic food, using a bicycle and wearing jumpers knitted by Incan tribesmen. In fact he is so ignorant that up until quite recently he had a CAR. My creative writing night course teacher always tells me to include details, so here goes: he had a Peugeot 306 XRAD with 3 previous owners which retailed for £8,995, he bought it from Biggotts of Antrim and it is Azure Blue with black trim around the bumpers and door panels that has now faded to a dark grey colour. Who says girls know nothing about cars?

My BOYFRIEND's car was I must admit great while it lasted as he used to drive me and my POOR GIN-SOAKED WORKING CLASS shell of a mother who owns Mutton boutique in Naas up to Belfast every weekend to visit this great shopping centre that has a Burger King, A McDonald's, a Kentucky Fried Chicken and best of all a branch of Blimp which sells amazingly concealing sackcloth tents for women who are womanly and have curves and everything and aren't like that talentless slut Sharon Ni Bheolain.

One thing you need to remember about PROTESTANTS is they are notoriously tight with their money, so when it came time for my BOYFRIEND to dispose of the car after myself and my brother DAVE, who is really SPIRITUAL and who does YOGA and has been to INDIA and even saw lots of people getting killed by the Tuna-Me in Thailand, spent 48 hours protesting outside his house with incense and books about how Petrol is really bad and killing the planet and how Gaia who is this old lady is now really angry with him he decided he would sell it to this blind lady who lives down the street. He told her it was a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow from 1979 and a steal at only €5000 and by the time her husband had come home and found out he'd sold her a complete heap of junk it was too late as my TIGHT NORTHERN BOYFRIEND had her money already and it wasn't his problem any more.

Now my BOYFRIEND says his life is much easier not having to drive around two Tadhgs (whatever that is) the size of beached whales from Oversize Shop to Oversize Shop. All our AMAZING friends who are RICH and GLAMOROUS were worried that we wouldn't be able to drive to Bundoran for weekends away the whole time like they do, but I had to tell them that I'm from SANDYMOUNT and WORKING CLASS and everything and haven't got the resources for that kind of frippery. Now where did I leave that bottle of Bollinger?

Luv Roisin

Comment

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

- Discussion of child benefit;
                                                                        - New speaker, his take: "what about the director of the HSE, he earns €300k per annum - why not cut his wages?";
                                                                        - Audience claps;

Fuck the retards that inhabit this country. Our anger and attention is directed at all the wrong things. All we want / like to do (and have been doing the past two years) is play the never ending blame game. No - one is willing to take responsibility, no - one willing to give anything up, no - one willing to propose any solutions.

And crucially, the thing that people should be most furious about - the complete lack of innovation and problem solving ability of all the current parties - gets barely noticed.
                                                                        Lloyd, I would be quiet happy to pay an extra 10-15 % income tax if someone laid it out to me in black and white saying we need to do x to reach y, this will take z years. What you say about lacking thr solutions is very true, as for leadership...someone needs to take the counrty and run it like a buisness, take the personal feelings out of it, give it x amount of time trying your best and if it then fails, hands up and say well, i honestly done the best i could.

Too much worrying on the governments half of what about the next election, do a good job and i will stick you right back in there because i have trust in you, easy game !
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

You see, the government should be a lot smarter about this whole pension issue. The whole idea of a State pension is going to become ever more ridiculous over the coming decades (in fact it already is!). But like it or lump it, people currently over 65 were promised this their whole working lives. Indeed, people over 55 have had this carrot dangled infront of them most of their working lives, and are at an age where they don't have time on the clock to make other provisions from scratch now.

But at a certain age, it surely should become acceptable to say 'folks, when you get to 66+, you're going to have to go your own way'. Why is that so fucking taboo? Certainly people under 35 have long been warned about making private provisions for retirement. I have no personal expectation of a liveable state pension when I reach 65. For me, the government strategy here is to come out and say:

- we'll cut full rate of state pension in correalation with the rate of deflation and no more;
                                                                          - we'll do income assessment of those in receipt of a state pension, and if private provisions put you over a certain threshold you get less from the state the more you cross it;
                                                                          - we're going to adjust promised state provisions by age going backwards - increasing retirement age and lowering potential top rate as we roll through the years;

As such, you make a decent saving in the short term, but in the medium to long term you make strides at significantly reducing the state's liabilities in this area as the years roll by. Given that a big part of our present International perception problems rest on the (correct) assumption that we cannot possibly meet our responsibilities in the long term, when it comes to austerity measures we really need a solid long term dimension to any cuts to state spending that this budget (or any budget) deigns to make.

And crucially, if you do it like above, you avoid all the retarded self serving anger that such (absolutely inevitable by the way) measures will stir up.
                                                                          While I agree with nearly all of the above, the vast bulk of us will never earn enough money to manage to adequately provide for our retirement years at a level that we may become accustomed to. This holds true even if you're loading up on AVCs, and given the current instability of pension funds across the country (and globe) who knows what will actually be left by the time we get there.

You can minimise that risk by investing your entire pension fund into cash, or the equivalent, but that leaves you with even less when retirement day comes around as you'll be lucky to realise 2-3% annual growth a year. All of the above is stated from a lay-mans point of view obviously, but I think it's a fair representation.

Given that I'm currently giving over 50% of my take home pay up on the higher level of tax and will be for the rest of my life (in all likelihood) then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the state to give me something back when I'm no longer able to work. If they want to reduce my tax in lieu of that then I'm willing to evaluate any proposals they may have.
                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

A country of interest groups. Every single interest group, from the unemployed to pensioners to public sector workers to students to privately employed PAYE workers should all get fucked and take their medicine if they want to stay here. What we need (and what we haven't got) is a politician / group of politicians brave enough to fuck them all and completely re imagine how the state interacts with the populace at all levels and invests public expenditure.
                                                                            You say this like it comes as a surprise to you. You're young and free enough to move on to greener pastures. Get the fuck out of here, and leave the rest of us droolers to wallow in the mire for the next 30 years, or death, whichever comes sooner.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Keep an eye on the manager, give the guy a jersey!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgpiShSH_eQ[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                                Is the WSOP final table over? I dont want to know who wins just when it will be on pokertube.

Its down to HU and thats starting at 4am irish time. Should be up on pokertube wednesday sometime. Beware though.. I think it was the 2008 one where I avoided boards/2+2 etc for the relevant couple of days and logged on to pokertube to watch it in blissful ignorance to be met with a huge banner saying PETER EASTGATE YONGEST EVER MAIN EVENT CHAMPION!!!
                                                                                Was not impresed

Q for BBV. What age should a female dog be spayed? Golden retriever/lab cross if breed matters.

Comment

Just skimmed over that roisin one's column's for the first time.

And all I can say is. What a cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                    Lloyd, I would be quiet happy to pay an extra 10-15 % income tax if someone laid it out to me in black and white saying we need to do x to reach y, this will take z years. What you say about lacking thr solutions is very true, as for leadership...someone needs to take the counrty and run it like a buisness, take the personal feelings out of it, give it x amount of time trying your best and if it then fails, hands up and say well, i honestly done the best i could.

Too much worrying on the governments half of what about the next election, do a good job and i will stick you right back in there because i have trust in you, easy game !
                                                                                    Couldn't agree more!

The politician who will get my vote is the dude who comes out with a platform along the lines of:

1) the export driven / hi tech industry portion of our economy is performing, we are going to take what limited resources we have and funnel it furiously in their direction through:

- removing all tax breaks / public expenditure on useless / no future sectors of the economy like property;
                                                                                    - reducing fees / giving expanded grant support to college courses in maths / science / I.T. / engineering, etc. You want to do Marketing? You can fucking pay full fees, we don't give a fuck;
                                                                                    - WE FUCKING DEFAULT IF SOMEONE MAKES US INCREASE CORPORATION TAX;

2) Fuck the Public sector. We don't give a fuck what agreements you had in place. We're going into every department, and we're going to get an outside body to assess what every department / employee is producing. Fuck universal pay / hiring freezes. You doing a good job? Pay rise. You doing nothing? Fired. You performing below expectations? Pay cut. Department useful? You can hire. Department perfunctory? 30% of employees cut. Fuck off.

3) Fuck every interest group. Social Welfare / Pensions / Childrens allowance / farmers / professional associations / unions / small business association / etc, etc. If a cut makes sense, is necessary, it will be done. Fuck you. Go your own way. Toughen up, figure it out;

And yes, Rauol and Olly are right when they say our politician's hands are tied and the ECB will be making a lot of decisions for us. But nonetheless, I want a politician and would actually go back out and work for their party if they had the right fucking ideas - irrespective of their scope to enact them.

We don't even have anyone with the right ideas.

Comment

I made a really great sandwich today, cheese, ham, tomato, a crisp lettuce leaf, garnished with whole grain mustard and coleslaw, all wrapped lovingly in a fresh baguette. Anyway, I left the room, for a few minutes (due to a fairly troublesome shit) and when I came back in it was gone. I was completely beside myself. I checked the fridge, the microwave, desperately trying to think where I could have put it. I had a look in the oven even though I knew I couldn't have put it there. I went back to the bathroom, tears forming in my eyes (though I maintain that it was from the smell I left in there rather than my emotional trauma) to see if I might have taken it up with me. Next I rushed round my housemates' rooms trying to find a potential thief, or failing that, at least getting some help on my search.

After half an hour of looking I came to a stunning realisation... I could easily have made another sandwich in the time I had spent looking for it.

In a completely unrelated matter, I have some advice for Kate and Gerry...
                                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                        I made a really great sandwich today, cheese, ham, tomato, a crisp lettuce leaf, garnished with whole grain mustard and coleslaw, all wrapped lovingly in a fresh baguette. Anyway, I left the room, for a few minutes (due to a fairly troublesome shit) and when I came back in it was gone. I was completely beside myself. I checked the fridge, the microwave, desperately trying to think where I could have put it. I had a look in the oven even though I knew I couldn't have put it there. I went back to the bathroom, tears forming in my eyes (though I maintain that it was from the smell I left in there rather than my emotional trauma) to see if I might have taken it up with me. Next I rushed round my housemates' rooms trying to find a potential thief, or failing that, at least getting some help on my search.

After half an hour of looking I came to a stunning realisation... I could easily have made another sandwich in the time I had spent looking for it.

In a completely unrelated matter, I have some advice for Kate and Gerry...
                                                                                        Ace strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                          You say this like it comes as a surprise to you. You're young and free enough to move on to greener pastures. Get the fuck out of here, and leave the rest of us droolers to wallow in the mire for the next 30 years, or death, whichever comes sooner.
                                                                                          Well isn't that just the thing? I don't want to leave! I love Irish people and living in Ireland despite it all. I think I'd be perfectly happy to make my life here in Dublin. I have friends over seas, leaving all the time, and good luck to them. It's personally my last option.

It's actually something that quite annoys me about this thread at times (as much as I really love ye all ) - the blase attitude to going abroad. Yes, travelling is very good, broadens the horizons and all of that. And yes, there is better quality of life to be had abroad.

But so many of the people leaving here every year don't want to leave. It is a huge failing on behalf of a society if its populace do not have the choice to stay. Thankfully most people in this thread have had a positive attitude to emigration and it hasn't been completely forced upon them in most cases from what I can make out. But there are so many more who hate leaving friends, family and home behind.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YO7Qxvvia4[/ame]

I always wondered what was so moving about the above clip, and I eventually copped on to it...no - one in the Visa / boarding queues will look directly at the camera. They'll look anywhere else. They aren't proud to be leaving. Aren't happy for their departure to be captured as an event.

At least in 1986 we had the dignity as a nation to realise that there was something wrong with a large part of a generation forced abroad. We don't even have that about us now.

Comment

Couldn't agree more!

The politician who will get my vote is the dude who comes out with a platform along the lines of:

1) the export driven / hi tech industry portion of our economy is performing, we are going to take what limited resources we have and funnel it furiously in their direction through:

- removing all tax breaks / public expenditure on useless / no future sectors of the economy like property;
                                                                                            - reducing fees / giving expanded grant support to college courses in maths / science / I.T. / engineering, etc. You want to do Marketing? You can fucking pay full fees, we don't give a fuck;

2) Fuck the Public sector. We don't give a fuck what agreements you had in place. We're going into every department, and we're going to get an outside body to assess what every department / employee is producing. Fuck universal pay / hiring freezes. You doing a good job? Pay rise. You doing nothing? Fired. You performing below expectations? Pay cut. Department useful? You can hire. Department perfunctory? 30% of employees cut. Fuck off.

3) Fuck every interest group. Social Welfare / Pensions / Childrens allowance / farmers / professional associations / unions / small business association / etc, etc. If a cut makes sense, is necessary, it will be done. Fuck you. Go your own way. Toughen up, figure it out;

And yes, Rauol and Olly are right when they say our politician's hands are tied and the ECB will be making a lot of decisions for us. But nonetheless, I want a politician and would actually go back out and work for their party if they had the right fucking ideas - irrespective of their scope to enact them.

We don't even have anyone with the right ideas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5eYFH8HZ8[/ame]
                                                                                            Last edited by Mr.Plough; 08-11-10, 23:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                                              I'm obv the bookies favourite for this event as I'll be the best player in the place. Unless I get horrible dogged I'll win
                                                                                              20 quid LL Richie for shits and giggles?
                                                                                              We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

I love Lloyd.

Comment

At least in 1986 we had the dignity as a nation to realise that there was something wrong with a large part of a generation forced abroad. We don't even have that about us now.
                                                                                                  Not only that, we fucking celebrate it. The Govt eagerly estimating how many will go. The more that go the better for our finances etc. The forgotten Irish who emigrated to the UK and felt later even in the boom time they couldnt come back is one of the greatest shames on our country.

Granted the world is a smaller place and all that now, but its still an awful shame for this to be happening and actively encouraged again

Comment

I always wondered what was so moving about the above clip, and I eventually copped on to it...no - one in the Visa / boarding queues will look directly at the camera. They'll look anywhere else. They aren't proud to be leaving. Aren't happy for their departure to be captured as an event.
                                                                                                    That. Or they were told not to look at the camera and wave like gormless fuckwits we usually see on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                      I love Lloyd.
                                                                                                      And I'm the gaylord apparantly.
                                                                                                      Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                        That. Or they were told not to look at the camera and wave like gormless fuckwits we usually see on the news.
                                                                                                        It would be better if they had waved in this one
                                                                                                        right after this report they ate his brains

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3elLmrCmOqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3elLmrCmOqo[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Gaylord View Post
                                                                                                          And I'm the gaylord apparantly.
                                                                                                          If you insist.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                            If you insist.
                                                                                                            Kev! you avoiding twat,give up drink.

Comment

...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

focker

Comment

Couldn't agree more!

Lloyd, run for office. We'll vote for you. If we can swing a Facebook competition then we can swing an election. Call yourself the Poker Party if you like.
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Keep an eye on the manager, give the guy a jersey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgpiShSH_eQ
                                                                                                                    It'd never work out...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_vj2f6OFpk&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

FullTilt down for anyone? In the middle of 4 tournies incl a headsup and it just crashed ffs

Comment

When will Wayne catch the Sthraight....tune in next week...
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                                          focker
                                                                                                                          I have nipples Greg,can you milk me?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X