This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    people need to stop looking at the top of an insane bubble and making comparisons downwards to extrapolate the conclusion 'BARGAIN!'

what you need to look at instead (as V has alluded to) is future affordability
    Affordability is not a problem as I won the lotto a while back. I agree to some extent on the bolded bit but the current climate does give me the opportunity to acquire a property i was not in a position to 3/4 years ago. I pretty much would rule out the move if my current house was in negative equity.

Edit: BTW The house was never worth the 800k in the first place.
    Last edited by Jackyback; 08-11-10, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      people need to stop looking at the top of an insane bubble and making comparisons downwards to extrapolate the conclusion 'BARGAIN!'

what you need to look at instead (as V has alluded to) is future affordability
      I'm happily paying €720 a month on a two bed apt at the moment.
      When houses approach their realistic value, (2.5 times industrial wage imo) I'll have a proper look
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

hmmm bbv making me feel a bit reckless with what im paying in rent. could probably use that €€€ more productively.
          Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-11-10, 12:47.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide to...
            you are really the strangest person, (In a nice kinda way)

So if you could go just one day without the coke/hooker fueled rampage and turn up for the IPB game in Barrys it would make me happy, it would be nice to put a face to the name...
            Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Kelly sounds like he is advocating mass organised mortgage default. What are the chances?

Any prospect of a class action on bogus lending advice?
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
                  Hitchhiker\'s Guide to...

So if you could go just one day without the coke/hooker fueled rampage and turn up for the IPB game in Barrys it would make me happy, it would be nice to put a face to the name...
                  On the pull.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

beat: Diagnosed with Seasonal Affected Depression disorder last friday.
                    variance: on 20mg Lexapro, not having much effect yet (Doctor said it wouldn't work for a week anyway)
                    brag: my iron constitution has protected me from most of the worse side effects.
                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                      When we're renting from the middle of January, we're going to just pick some nice apartments in the Ranelagh area and offer maybe 150 euro off whatever they're asking. See which of the landlords are first to bite.

Going on the general rule that a boomtime 1200 euro apartment, should now be about 700-750 euro. Would that be a reasonable enough assumption?
                      150-200 on top of the rent allowance for 2011. As someone else says no more no less
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Going on the general rule that a boomtime 1200 euro apartment, should now be about 700-750 euro. Would that be a reasonable enough assumption?
                          you'd think so
                          A quick look at daft will tell you otherwise.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

In stark contrast to all the doom and gloom, I saw this posted on a friends facebook....

Coffee at Epicurean, then drop into Twisted Pepper, then Jackass 3D, then beers?
                            YES! Unemployment Monday, you're alllright!

Some people don't seem so stressed lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              When houses approach their realistic value, (2.5 times industrial wage imo) I'll have a proper look
                              actually, is this a realistic target?
                              average wage is about 36k???
                              so about 90k?
                              I've had numerous arguements with herself about it

Comment

you'd think so
                                A quick look at daft will tell you otherwise.
                                Indeed, only 4k a month for a two bed near Trinity College which comes complete with bronze sex doll and bathtub in bedroom.

Find Apartments For Rent in Dublin 2, Dublin. Search 86 Apartments for rent in Dublin 2, Dublin on Daft.ie now.

I was looking to get this place last month for €1500 but the landlord wouldn't budge www.daft.ie/2908586.
                                Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                  Indeed, only 4k a month for a two bed near Trinity College which comes complete with bronze sex doll and bathtub in bedroom.

Find Apartments For Rent in Dublin 2, Dublin. Search 86 Apartments for rent in Dublin 2, Dublin on Daft.ie now.

I was looking to get this place last month for €1500 but the landlord wouldn't budge www.daft.ie/2908586.
                                  I know him, a bit of a cowboy by all accounts.
                                  He rented a place across from their to a mate of mine, huge bungalow at the hill.
                                  It got flooded last year when the liffey burst and they subsequently got a €500odd bill from the esb from the dehumidifiers and clean up crew.
                                  Fella didnt budge so they moved out.
                                  It;s also for sale for €970k

Comment

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Can't handcuff a man like that - let him come bells & whistles

Comment

LOL

A Google Maps error is being blamed for Nicaraguan troops accidentally invading Costa Rica last week. The troops have been accused of crossing the hotly disputed Nicaragua border into Costa Rica and setting up camp for the night after taking down a Costa Rican flag and raising the Nicaraguan flag.

Comment

Nanonoko lost $232k in a 25/50 session yesterday. -46 buyin session ftw.

Admittedly the session was 18000 hands and 20 hours long but still!

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
                                            Ah, I said it was a beat, but to be honest I'm glad I've started to do something about it, been affecting me for years and my inabilityability to admit something was wrong with me stopped me doing anything before.

Might be worth having a read of Rosenthal's classic book on SAD.
                                            Thanks, will certainly look it up.

I'm not a 'proper doctor' obv, so bear that in mind with the following advice, but wouldn't be a big fan of Lexapro. It really numbs the senses (both up and down). One of the biggest factors in causing SAD is the lack of sunlight and a lot of people would use something like this lamp to counteract that (its the high LUX count that is the vital part):
                                            Have been looking into these already, and have read a lot about lexapro, only the start of the treatment, and the doctor has been great about it, really gave me confidence in the treatment.

I'd nearly recommend chatting to the doctor when you see him/her next about these natural treatment options. Know it has been a big issue in the UK where doctors were recommending Lexapro just because it was a quicker solution and they could get the patient in-and-out of the surgery faster.
                                            Will do, he actually spoke about why he started with Lexapro, and to be honest I'll take the numbness for a while, could do with some stability!

Comment

Rents seem to be WAY down on a few years ago though, particularly in more desirable areas - a good few 3-bed places (none of them amazing, but acceptable) in Dublin 6 right now seem to start from €1,350 / mo, which is down from about €1,800 / mo a few years ago.

One of the very strange aspects of the Dublin rental market, as noted a few times over the past few years, is the similarity in the rental costs for property located in wildly differing locations in the city...a 2-bed apartment in a high-crime, less salubrious neighbourhood will rent for almost as much as a similar apartment in a low-crime, more desirable suburb with better amenities. Must be the effect of rent allowance, but it is bizarre, in most big cities I've lived in renting in a 'nice' area might be twice the cost of renting in the ghetto!

Comment

Good afternoon educated people

Insurance question:

Car got a bang, their insurance company's assessor has just been along. He said he'll have it sorted.

Do I have to get it sorted? can I get the cash instead?

(I'd rather trade the car as is and put the money towards a new one, i reckon it'll be a better move moneywise)

cheers

Also speaking of houses:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...282629168.html

and

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=556043

I'm selling up and getting the fuk outta this shithole country!

Comment

IMO

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

On the Morgan Kelly article, from the Pin:

If Carlsberg did doom mongering it wouldnt be this good.
                                                    I've finally sent off the documents to Keytrade Bank to set up my Belgium bank account, after having gone on about getting my savings out of the country for the last few years, damn you procrastination! Still think we've a few months left before the shit really hits the fan though... wonder if any of the true doom-mongers on the Pin have bothered with cash stashed in their homes in case we actually go Argentinian?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      .. wonder if any of the true doom-mongers on the Pin have bothered with cash stashed in their homes in case we actually go Argentinian?
                                                      HA! From just a few pages on in that thread on Kelly's article:

Originally posted by www.thepropertypin.com
                                                      And the bank shares falling.
                                                      Hmmm ... might take some cash out of the account today.

Comment

Must do that, if can get down there all right! Have actually met you loads of times back a few years ago in the Fitz, but generally wasn't very talkative
                                                        lol
                                                        there doesn't narrow the field much, considering most of the fitz regulars
                                                        Follow me in twitterland

Comment

On the Morgan Kelly article, from the Pin:

I've finally sent off the documents to Keytrade Bank to set up my Belgium bank account, after having gone on about getting my savings out of the country for the last few years, damn you procrastination! Still think we've a few months left before the shit really hits the fan though... wonder if any of the true doom-mongers on the Pin have bothered with cash stashed in their homes in case we actually go Argentinian?
                                                          What sort of documentation is needed, I'm fcking determined to start this process during this week after being a lazy procrastinator for the last 2 years.

(Even thinking of transferring a chunk to Stars if I'm too lazy to do the keytrade thing so at least I've got it out of Irish banks, sad that a poker site based in the basement of a Cayman Islands warehouse seems more secure to me than an O'Connell Street bank).

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                            What sort of documentation is needed, I'm fcking determined to start this process during this week after being a lazy procrastinator for the last 2 years.
                                                            a copy of your passport and a copy of a utility bill for proof of address

it's very straightforward
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Meh,I'm with Warren Buffet, " Let blockheads read what blockheads write".
                                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Would BOI give me the balance of my savings a/c over the phone?

Comment

TL Dr etc etc.

SPOILER
                                                                  So we ALL default on our mortgages (some of us just to be heroes) is a pretty irresponsible piece of advice to be offering to people. Although I'd recommend it to the people who are really fcked financially. A huge proportion of people can and WILL pay their mortgage. The Govt is broke and as a country we have huge financial concerns however the goverment can't strangle employers. The focus should be on creating employment. If people are working they won't default. I have no real urge to stop paying my mortgage just because it makes financial sense. If only it was that easy. The mortgage default scenario will only play out if employment plummets. Our country is in sht creek but it doesn't mean we necessarily have to be. The underlying issue will be that we will be paying higher tax and getting a lot less back for it, but we don't have a national mindset to default. People will just not do it unless it's a very last resort. We also won't find ourselves in a food or mortgage situation. Well not to the extent that Kelly in mongering. The focus HAS to be on Employment. Keep that ticking over and even though we pay more to the fckers in charge we at least won't drag the country down further by abandoning contracts that WE signed off on.
                                                                  The 6 billion budget and the reaction to it will decide how the next few years go and articles like Kellys will only help
                                                                  those who secretly delight in chaos. I can't see what positive purpose his article serves.

Comment

nice one Smurph on the ticket.

it was good craic on Friday playing on thr same table as your self ,Bubbleking,Swar and Damo and Bops.

that was the most fun i had the entire tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                      Would BOI give me the balance of my savings a/c over the phone?
                                                                      banking 365?

Comment

Nah just a regular savings a/c in a branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post

it was good craic on Friday playing on thr same table as your self ,Bubbleking,Swar and Damo and Bops.

how much did you pay that dope on your left to donate over 100k to you? I was mad to get a craic at him but couldnt because you and bops kept getting in there first

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post

thanks eshan... pity I decide to play a hand against you when you flop the nuts...

There was some great comments, I particularly like your one to a player, something along the line of "I actually think my bag of spanners of a hand, is better than yours" or something like that.... Then bops comes to the table, sigh.... bops gonna bop
                                                                              Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                TL Dr etc etc.

SPOILER
                                                                                So we ALL default on our mortgages (some of us just to be heroes) is a pretty irresponsible piece of advice to be offering to people. Although I'd recommend it to the people who are really fcked financially. A huge proportion of people can and WILL pay their mortgage. The Govt is broke and as a country we have huge financial concerns however the goverment can't strangle employers. The focus should be on creating employment. If people are working they won't default. I have no real urge to stop paying my mortgage just because it makes financial sense. If only it was that easy. The mortgage default scenario will only play out if employment plummets. Our country is in sht creek but it doesn't mean we necessarily have to be. The underlying issue will be that we will be paying higher tax and getting a lot less back for it, but we don't have a national mindset to default. People will just not do it unless it's a very last resort. We also won't find ourselves in a food or mortgage situation. Well not to the extent that Kelly in mongering. The focus HAS to be on Employment. Keep that ticking over and even though we pay more to the fckers in charge we at least won't drag the country down further by abandoning contracts that WE signed off on.
                                                                                The 6 billion budget and the reaction to it will decide how the next few years go and articles like Kellys will only help
                                                                                those who secretly delight in chaos. I can't see what positive purpose his article serves.
                                                                                I do, the more that goes on the more I think I should just default and walk away from the whole shooting match.

Sure, I couldn't come back to Ireland for 10 years or so but is that really that big a deal? 10 years in Thailand/Malaysia/Cape Town would be relatively cheap and if I could actually play this poker lark in any decent way I wouldn't have to do anything else.
                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet
                                                                                  So you post in BBV saying you're having an awful day, running like crap and tilting like a retard. Instead of people saying "quit, cut your losses and stop playing today" , they actively search you out, needle you and bust you.

This is far from ok IMO, why would anyone offer constructive advice on HH's here if that's the aim of the game?

This place is supposed to be a community, and most of the time we help each other best we can.

I'm actually incredibly dissappointed
                                                                                  Yeah this

Comment

actually, is this a realistic target?
                                                                                    average wage is about 36k???
                                                                                    so about 90k?
                                                                                    I've had numerous arguements with herself about it
                                                                                    Is this likely when most houses are bought by 2 people?
                                                                                    I don't agree with it, but surely that pushes up the price.

A lot of them have their heads in the clouds, estate agents too.

Actually did my PhD on how stuff like SAD might influence stock prices.
                                                                                    Cliffs?

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                    Ah, I said it was a beat, but to be honest I'm glad I've started to do something about it, been affecting me for years and my inabilityability to admit something was wrong with me stopped me doing anything before.

Thanks, will certainly look it up.

Have been looking into these already, and have read a lot about lexapro, only the start of the treatment, and the doctor has been great about it, really gave me confidence in the treatment.

Will do, he actually spoke about why he started with Lexapro, and to be honest I'll take the numbness for a while, could do with some stability!
                                                                                    Sounds like a decent doctor. Are you in Dublin by chance?

Rents seem to be WAY down on a few years ago though, particularly in more desirable areas - a good few 3-bed places (none of them amazing, but acceptable) in Dublin 6 right now seem to start from €1,350 / mo, which is down from about €1,800 / mo a few years ago.

One of the very strange aspects of the Dublin rental market, as noted a few times over the past few years, is the similarity in the rental costs for property located in wildly differing locations in the city...a 2-bed apartment in a high-crime, less salubrious neighbourhood will rent for almost as much as a similar apartment in a low-crime, more desirable suburb with better amenities. Must be the effect of rent allowance, but it is bizarre, in most big cities I've lived in renting in a 'nice' area might be twice the cost of renting in the ghetto!
                                                                                    I notice the list prices for renting 3 beds and 2 beds fall, but one beds do not feel much of the knock on effect. It must be the rent allowance. It's a pain in the hole. Definitely paying over the odds where I am. Only a trickle of apartments in the complex seem to come up for rent which might also be a factor, along with retarded estate agents. Maybe I should default on the rent.

TL Dr etc etc.

SPOILER
                                                                                    I appreciate that it's informative.
                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                      I do, the more that goes on the more I think I should just default and walk away from the whole shooting match.

Sure, I couldn't come back to Ireland for 10 years or so but is that really that big a deal? 10 years in Thailand/Malaysia/Cape Town would be relatively cheap and if I could actually play this poker lark in any decent way I wouldn't have to do anything else.
                                                                                      So when I said that Evening Herald girl should default, a lot of you on here took a very different point of view.
                                                                                      So do you now think she should default? What changed your mind? The article?

Comment

So when I said that Evening Herald girl should default, a lot of you on here took a very different point of view.
                                                                                        So do you now think she should default? What changed your mind? The article?
                                                                                        I was one of those that took a very different point of view

and no, I don't think she should default. I think I should default, completely different thing altogether

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                            I was one of those that took a very different point of view

and no, I don't think she should default. I think I should default, completely different thing altogether
                                                                                            But but..er...but. Wait a sec. Ah feck it, bring back CHD. Release the Chelsea one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                                                                              Yeah, Doctor is in Hanover Medical Centre across from the IFSC. Went into him for the first time a few weeks ago for something else and the attitude and treatment I got from him gave me confidence to go back about this.

Comment

But but..er...but. Wait a sec. Ah feck it, bring back CHD. Release the Chelsea one.

Nah, I said it at the time and I'll say it again now. Allowing people to just mass default on their mortgages and walk away from loans etc is the road to madness, there will always be some group of people who screw over the rest and the secret is trying to minimise the impact that they can have on you.

In unrelated news looks like Ole is leaving United, Molde have come back for a 3rd time trying to get him to manage their team and it seems he's willing to take it this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                                                                                                  In my defense...
                                                                                                  PM me for the help of a pro
                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown

Meh, if Emmet posted in BBV that he was running bad, playing bad, tilting and Ace looks him up and jumps in a game with him then its very poor imo.

Yeah pretty much this, but the money makes a difference imo. If it was 200-300 quid then not worth falling out over .
                                                                                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom

To choose a better phrase from the wire "A man must have a code".
                                                                                                      from the same character and in relation to his "code"

"I never turned my gun on any man who wasnt in the game"

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                                                                                        Is this likely when most houses are bought by 2 people?
                                                                                                        I don't agree with it, but surely that pushes up the price.

A lot of them have their heads in the clouds, estate agents too.

Cliffs?

I notice the list prices for renting 3 beds and 2 beds fall, but one beds do not feel much of the knock on effect. It must be the rent allowance. It's a pain in the hole. Definitely paying over the odds where I am. Only a trickle of apartments in the complex seem to come up for rent which might also be a factor, along with retarded estate agents. Maybe I should default on the rent.

I appreciate that it's informative.

Ah yes, due to the nature of you responding to people in multquotes,
                                                                                                        it is elementary my dear watson,
                                                                                                        that Lotto.ie is none other than
                                                                                                        Goodluck2me Rigger
                                                                                                        from Boards.....
                                                                                                        Last edited by smurph; 08-11-10, 15:28. Reason: Solskjaer is very clever man
                                                                                                        Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                                                                                                          Ok do you think Emmet was out of line when he posted up about some fish on ipoker network and gave out his name, and all his stats?

it doens't bother me cause i don't play off that a/c alot but just in general, - FD asked for the names to be changed in some slight way - this is obv done for a reason.
                                                                                                          I mean, he shouldn't do it because then other people would get his "fish" and thats stupid of him. But, he didn't know it was you, my whole argument is based on following some sort of community ethos, you had prior knowledge, he didnt. Who gives a fuck if he posts that, it doesnt matter.

Comment

Originally posted by bops View Post
                                                                                                            Good afternoon educated people
                                                                                                            Insurance question:
                                                                                                            Car got a bang, their insurance company's assessor has just been along. He said he'll have it sorted.
                                                                                                            Do I have to get it sorted? can I get the cash instead?
                                                                                                            (I'd rather trade the car as is and put the money towards a new one, i reckon it'll be a better move moneywise)
                                                                                                            cheers
                                                                                                            As you are not responsible for the accident you are entitled to get the car repaired at the Garage/Panel Beater of your choice. They cannot insist otherwise. You need to present them with a quotation for the cost of repairs, depreciation (usually about 10% of the cost of repair) but this can be difficult but fight for same & the hire of a replacement vehicle if they are not providing same during repair & during time your vehicle is off the road.

They may pay you on this but could insist on receipts or seeing the repaired vehicle. Nevertheless you should be entitled to receive the price of the quotation price + depreciation + vehicle hire to offset against the trade in if that is what you wish to do.

PM me if I can help further

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                              from the same character and in relation to his "code"

"I never turned my gun on any man who wasnt in the game"
                                                                                                              lol, okay we should stop using wire quotes coz to be fair they're not gonna be specific enough to grasp the point, although they are fun.

Do you not agree from all thats been said, that there's a difference when using prior knowledge of a community you participate in and benefit from to exploit someone, I mean i think its really clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                                                                                                                Ok do you think Emmet was out of line when he posted up about some fish on ipoker network and gave out his name, and all his stats?

it doens't bother me cause i don't play off that a/c alot but just in general, - FD asked for the names to be changed in some slight way - this is obv done for a reason.
                                                                                                                Was just interested in the players involved because i'm only started having a spin at those levels and wanted to see if i had any dealings with any of them

Comment

Anyway,enough of internet serious business stuff.Here's a dedication for CHD.

Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Goodluck2me
                                                                                                                    from Boards.....
                                                                                                                    Let me help you, his ol name rhymes with a derogatory name for an African American.

Comment

Goodluck2me
                                                                                                                      from Boards.....
                                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Rigger
                                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Maths question.

A credit union has a rule that if you have a loan then you can only remove money from your savings to help pay it off as long as it leaves your savings at at least 25% of your loan.

Lets take the example that a person has €1,000 in savings and €2,000 as a loan. According to the rule you can only take around €666 from your savings to pay off the loan because that would result in savings of around €334 and a loan of around €1344 which is 25% savings : loan.

The question is what formula can be applied to get the answer as to how much can be taken out of savings to equal 25% of loan (post calculation).

I hope that's clear. Maybe it's simple, but my head is elsewhere today.

Comment

Yeah pretty much this, but the money makes a difference imo. If it was 200-300 quid then not worth falling out over .
                                                                                                                          The money is all relative really. It's a really interesting debate about morals in poker. I would not like to think that if I was chatting to someone I know on google talk, or posting on here that I was down a lot that day and they knew my name and came to my hu table on an account that I didn't know was theirs and they started playing me HU.

HU has basically no rules but there should be a few associated with it. A couple that I would really like to see implemented:

5-10 min warning that you are going to quit, if not given then you have to leave 10bb behind or something similar!
                                                                                                                          Have a minimum number of hands rule. Say 50 or so, if you bust then you can leave! But nothing worse than people hit and running you all the time
                                                                                                                          Only allowed to sit at 1 empty table per limit/currency

There are so many reg scumbags playing heads up, that I basically have got sick of it and rarely play it any more for a few different reasons. Takes ages to find a game or for someone to sit in and play you, and then the hit and runners, extreme bumhunters. PTR etc

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X