This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free cheese.

€818,000 worth of cheese. Some tasty puns in here.

The Government is to distribute some 53 tonnes of free cheese to people in need in the run up to Christmas.

Minister for Agriculture Brendan Smith announced the EU-funded scheme today following talks with a number of charitable organisations.

He said the cheese will be available free of charge for distribution to those most in need. It will be available from November 15th “in time for Christmas”.

The State has been given more than €818,000 from the EU budget to purchase the cheese and the Irish Dairy Board has been awarded the tender to supply it.

The Minister said the scheme was “an important means of contributing towards the well-being of the most deprived citizens in the community”.

“I am very conscious that many people find themselves in difficult circumstances at present and I want to commend the work of the many charitable organisations who are working on the frontline to bring what comfort and relief they can," he said. “I am glad to be able to help their work in such a practical way.”

The cheese is available in 12 x 1kg boxes from stores in Clondalkin, Portlaoise, Kilmacthomas Waterford, Cobh and Togher Co Cork from November 15th with a “minimum of one box per collection”.

Fine Gael’s agriculture spokesman Andrew Doyle reacted with scepticism to the plan.

“Fianna Fáil and the Greens gouda be kidding,” he said. “People on the breadline would rather the Government’s unfeta’d attention was on solving the economic crisis they caused and providing jobs rather than on this ridiculous announcement."

Mr Smith said similar schemes had been run in the past, even during good years for the economy.

Some 350 tonnes of butter was allocated this year by the European Commission, but it was swapped for 315 tonnes of cheese. The 53 tonnes of cheese made available from this month brings the total to 167 tonnes for the year.

Mr Smith said: “Not alone would it benefit people from the point of view of providing good food, but it also promotes the use and the value and the importance and the nutrition of cheese and dairy products."

He said the EU had always had such a scheme, but this was the first time the Government had issued a press release announcing it.

"It goes to show that they think that providing free cheese will soft-soap the electorate and make us all forget the mess Fianna Fáil made of the country and the hardship Brian Lenihan will inflict on everyone. It won’t. At least this announcement has exposed Fianna Fáil and the Greens’ true attitude when it comes to the Irish people: Let them eat cheese.”

Permits are being issued to applicants to facilitate collection. Further information and application forms are available from the Department of Agriculture’s intervention operations department at Johnstown Castle, Co Wexford.

According to the Department of Agriculture, the programme of food aid was first introduced in 1987 as a reaction to conditions faced by deprived persons during a particularly harsh winter. Its primary objective is considered to be a "social measure" but it also has the effect of reducing the intervention storage costs at EU level.

The overall budget for the programme has increased from €100m in 1988 to €478 million for 19 member states this year. Ireland’s share of the budget this year is €818,816 or 0.17 per cent.

Because of the reduction of the stocks in intervention the commission has been granting cash to buy products on the open market instead in recent years.

Personally I couldn't give edam.
    Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 05-11-10, 13:18.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
      does any one know if we have to pre-reg for JP's MiniWSOP game,or can we pay there and then?
      Pay there and then, but get there early as there are a lot of seats reserved with deposits paid.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
        Pay there and then, but get there early as there are a lot of seats reserved with deposits paid.
        Yeah def this. Heard there was around 140 for the shorthanded game last night so sounds like be a full house later

Comment

.sorted
          Last edited by Laois Hammer; 05-11-10, 13:39.

Comment

Who was the poster (back when the old place was still the forum of choice) that bought a shed-load of BOI shares when they initially plunged towards 30c / share? He / she was sitting on a massive gain when they rebounded somewhat to €3 / share...really hoped they sold long ago as the share price is almost back to the lows it tested in 2008.

Actually, anyone browse the Investment & Markets forum over in the old place? It is filled with absolute retards so it quite amusing, there is a poster called ranger4 who is so deluded it actually is painful to read his posts.

Comment

I browse it. I have no clue what is going on.

Comment

I bet this hurts! The elephant escaped BTW, according to RTE...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                  Who was the poster (back when the old place was still the forum of choice) that bought a shed-load of BOI shares when they initially plunged towards 30c / share? He / she was sitting on a massive gain when they rebounded somewhat to €3 / share...really hoped they sold long ago as the share price is almost back to the lows it tested in 2008.

Actually, anyone browse the Investment & Markets forum over in the old place? It is filled with absolute retards so it quite amusing, there is a poster called ranger4 who is so deluded it actually is painful to read his posts.
                  it was tar aldarion iirc. i think he bought at 1c though. he never said if and when he sold.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    I bet this hurts! The elephant escaped BTW, according to RTE...

his mother and the herd come back for him. there's a whole series of shots about that scene

Comment

What the fuck is going on back there?

Riots, cheese, social unrest!

If you're speaking French when I get home for Christmas, I'm moving over here permanently

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                        Just thought of something and thought I'd ask you. I never went to college, left school at 15. My daughter was out sick the other day and I had to write a note to the teacher to explain why.
                        Who do you ask for an absent note? Ring home and get one emailed or what?
                        If she is in college no note is required.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                          his mother and the herd come back for him. there's a whole series of shots about that scene
                          Nothing to do with the mother and the herd coming back for him tbf..schoolboy error on the gator's part:

It may or may not be a crocodile
                          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Still can't shake me hangover, so a BIG granby special fry up with da eggs, black and white pudding and the traditional granby burger coming up when I get home tonight. Then sleep. Hopefully I'll be in ok shape for the big game tomorrow at the Aviva... I'll be in Cullens tomorrow at 4ish for the warm up.

Comment

Aussie rubgy player gets a BJ off a dog

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Time for either a National Government or a Military Coup IMO this is no time fopr an election.
                                Time for a Military Coup was two years ago when they bailed out their mates/selves in the shitty (is that place still open? sur only a small group of people use that place, no need to save it) banks

Still; A killing spree might relieve some tension and the free cheese means we will have enough energy to finish the job

National Government made up of who?
                                FF are drunk at the wheel and apparently the rest don't know how to drive

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  are you sure you are not thinking of the kruger park one?

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                    your attitude is starting to grate with me, I suggest you tread more caerphilly in future and pay unfeta'd attention to this thread
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                      are you sure you are not thinking of the kruger park one?

yup that's the one. the shot is from that series

An amateur photographer captured a wild confrontation between an elephant and a crocodile at Kruger National Park in South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        your attitude is starting to grate with me, I suggest you tread more caerphilly in future and pay unfeta'd attention to this thread
                                        both of you are crackers.

Comment

well the head gasket isnt gone in my car - apparently there was a problem with the round thingy that caused some more important thing to stop working. Bottom line its costing me €290 which is gay. I prob shouldnt play the JP game now we'l have to see

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                            well the head gasket isnt gone in my car - apparently there was a problem with the round thingy that caused some more important thing to stop working. Bottom line its costing me €290 which is gay. I prob shouldnt play the JP game now we'l have to see
                                            What colour is the car?

Comment

Man up and play BK!!

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                The missus is approaching the big 40 soon. As per usual haven't a clue what to buy her, so I googled 40th Birthday presents.

this one came up. I wonder would she be happy with it.

40th Pint Glass £9.99

A gorgeous, stylish and useful 40th keepsake!

The lovely 40 Pint Glass holds up to a pint of her favourite beer! Beautifully decorated the glass is hand painted in the U.K. in black relief line infilled with grey/cream with the numbers 4 and 0 in each square. Fully washable, it comes with a card of authenticity and has the painters' initials on the base of the glass. Perfect for enjoying a beer or two on any occasion!

Ensure that your gift is presented beautifully! Simply add to your basket now, and you can select Gift Wrap from just £2.99 from the next screen.

The fact that the numbers 4 and 0 are in their own square and that its fully washable nearly sold if for me.

or

job done imo
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                  Man up and play BK!!
                                                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Harney View Post
                                                    What colour is the car?
                                                    oi Harney, you owe me for stealing my line

big time

Comment

2/3. Blatant plagiarism on the unfeta'd directly from the article quoted.

Comment

lol thats a rediculous line tbf.

I'll go tap people up that owe me money - On a slightly related note in my experience Id say your better off never lending money to friends. I have quite a substantial sum wrote off that I never expect to get back

Comment

man I love mashups

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5a_0GzPw-M[/ame]
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

2/3. Blatant plagiarism on the unfeta'd directly from the article quoted.
                                                            1/2 point for not having read the damn article?

Comment

Does this apply to drink shots too?, if so this could be a very dangerous attidude on a night out.
                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

oi Harney, you owe me for stealing my line

big time
                                                                How does a shag sound?

Comment

How does a shag sound?
                                                                  kind of like a cormorant?

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                    Does this apply to drink shots too?, if so this could be a very dangerous attidude on a night out.
                                                                    Yes this qualifies

Comment

kind of like a cormorant?
                                                                      We'll sound like seagulls screaming

Comment

Twitter delivers:

Comment

1/2 point for not having read the damn article?
                                                                          Black mark tbh.

Comment

Heskey - You miss 100% of your shots if you do take them.

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                              Right, just over 27 hours since sleep..Doing this project for around 4pm today will be interesting then
                                                                              Fuck it..she can wait until Monday
                                                                              Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

...
                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The people who keep changing usernames are confusing the shit out of me.
                                                                                  That is all

Comment

Originally posted by Aya14 View Post
                                                                                    That is all

+ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Aya14 View Post
                                                                                      That is all
                                                                                      Sorry old buddy old pal. Want me to change back?
                                                                                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                        Torres - You miss 100% of your shots if you do take them.
                                                                                        fyp

Comment

cant belive that in the middle of a huge rescession cheese was the best way anyone could think to spend the guts of a million. Surely at christmas they could have went to Iceland and got everyone some turkey burgers.

Comment

Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Wave or Sony Eriksoon Vivaz?

My head is fried trying to choose one.

Comment

oh feck ,JPs main event starts today,i thought it starts tommorrow.

better get some rest then .

im sure i will a lot of you down there.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                                                Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Wave or Sony Eriksoon Vivaz?

My head is fried trying to choose one.
                                                                                                If it has to be one of those, then it has to be the Galaxy S.

HTC Desire HD > all of those though, same screen size as the Galaxy S.

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                                                                                                  oh feck ,JPs main event starts today,i thought it starts tommorrow.

better get some rest then .

im sure i will [insert funny context here] a lot of you down there.
                                                                                                  FYP
                                                                                                  One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                    If it has to be one of those, then it has to be the Galaxy S.

HTC Desire HD > all of those though, same screen size as the Galaxy S.
                                                                                                    Oh ya the Desire. I cant get the Desire HD with meteor, just the original HTC Desire.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                                                      Oh ya the Desire. I cant get the Desire HD with meteor, just the original HTC Desire.
                                                                                                      HD should be available soon there afaik.

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Start a blog hitchhiker. I need interesting ones to add to my feedly page

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            Stolen from boards, but oh how I lol'd:

Hide yo kids pic[/img]

I have to admit, the quality of signs at that march were quite good.
                                                                                                            I love that meme

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw[/ame]

Comment

how much would a taxi cost me from tallaght to the city center?

Comment

For the day that's in it

There's always free cheddar in
                                                                                                                a mousetrap, baby
                                                                                                                It's a deal, it's a deal

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM[/ame]
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Music post.

Ok, my taste in music taste wouldn't be to the BBV's liking . Like Dom i rarely recoqnise any of the groups at some of the festivals. I also don't get the likes of Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. I mean are they playing each other or what the fuck does the vs stand for?

Anyway, saw The Riptide Movement on Grafton Street a few Sundays back and thought they were very good.

Anyone have any of their albums or seen them live?

Comment

Re: Free cheese.

€818,000 worth of cheese. Some tasty puns in here.

I'm still waiting for all this to be revealed is a Hitchhiker inspired fake news story.
                                                                                                                    Just fucking mental

Comment

Prob 30/35 euro. Get the luas just don't post on here about how much you'll have with you

Comment

15-20 quid off peak 18-22 peak times

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                          Prob 30/35 euro. Get the luas just don't post on here about how much you'll have with you
                                                                                                                          Jesus No

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X