This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on a second, seriously hang on.

USI says thousands of students will be forced to drop-out of college if the registration fee rises again.
    The latest speculation is that the charge will rise from its current level of €1,500 to €2,500.
    thats it? the increase is only 1000? get a fucking job for the year you lazy cnuts

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post

thats it? the increase is only 1000? get a fucking job for the year you lazy cnuts
      not only that but if your family income is below 51k or so you're exempt. so absurd to suggest it'll put people out of college.

Comment

no wonder the country is fucked. fucking clowns

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

tossing a mars bar over the fence

really

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

no wonder the country is fucked. fucking clowns
              may I send you my campaign literature Sir? You sound like my target voter.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

OK i know its only been a year since iv been gone but WTF is a hog bomb?
                Generic jägerbombs.

Comment

Do those retarded students really think that acting the twat is going to get them sympathy? Kids today.
                  We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                    Think it's 41k or below. and one of the issues is that because it is happening so suddenly, a lot of families might not have saved for it.
                    Is the SSC not the registration fee?

Comment

As a student I'd like to distance myself from this protest..by a few thousand miles!

Emigration not Education!!!!
                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        may I send you my campaign literature Sir? You sound like my target voter.
                        New Finna Fail? Are you in? You can be TB, I'll be AC, HH can be PM.

Comment

Not to stick up for the spotty faced feckers or anything. But I thought there were no jobs to be had and if not where do they get the extra fees? Also I'm sure 1k is nothing to the balla boys on here but by the look of the Spar deli brigade some of em will struggle. I actually don't mind the stewpots having their say. More mars bars need to be flung in the direction of Cowen, only hope it's a recycled mars bar. The rest of us will get shagged up the ass in the budget and
                          cry into our cheaper wine watching some freak on the X factor attempt to deceive the ignorant out there as to what music is And those above the 50k mark will find their take home pay will be just as low as those who are apparantly exempt.

*oooh sugar rush*

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                            New Finna Fail? Are you in? You can be TB, I'll be AC, HH can be PM.
                            Minister for Magic/Mayhem please

Comment

not only that but if your family income is below 51k or so you're exempt. so absurd to suggest it'll put people out of college.
                              Thats 2% of the family income every year for 4 years. Plus I assume it gross income rather than net making it an even greater amount of the familys spendable income. Thats a lot, especially with no notice given.

NOTE: NOT A STUDENT

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                Not to stick up for the spotty faced feckers or anything. But I thought there were no jobs to be had and if not where do they get the extra fees? Also I'm sure 1k is nothing to the balla boys on here but by the look of the Spar deli brigade some of em will struggle.
                                Maybe you're right. Idk if I already posted this but the other night I was sitting in the college bar (probably one of the cheapest venues you can drink in) and there was a group of girls at the next table to us drinking out of soft drink bottles.

Bouncer went over, realised they had alcohol, threw the bottles in the bin. Few mins later he went off somewhere else, girls ran over and fished the bottles out of the bin. Studentaments .

Comment

you have to chortle at the irony of throwing Mars bars and cans of beer in the direction of Biffo and Sweary Mary
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

bottle of water was for gormley.

Comment

Not to stick up for the spotty faced feckers or anything. But I thought there were no jobs to be had and if not where do they get the extra fees? Also I'm sure 1k is nothing to the balla boys on here but by the look of the Spar deli brigade some of em will struggle. I actually don't mind the stewpots having their say. More mars bars need to be flung in the direction of Cowen, only hope it's a recycled mars bar. The rest of us will get shagged up the ass in the budget and
                                      cry into our cheaper wine watching some freak on the X factor attempt to deceive the ignorant out there as to what music is And those above the 50k mark will find their take home pay will be just as low as those who are apparantly exempt.

*oooh sugar rush*
                                      Take your sensible, reasoned opinions and shove them up your arse. This is the BBV, dammit!
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I know I should probably be like "Hiss, boo, poor form" etc, but Negreanu is such a prick I lol'd:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMZSRtbNZ8[/ame]

Comment

that has to be a 1st for WW....christ almighty
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                            You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die
                                            2. A very old friend who once saved your life.
                                            3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?
                                            Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.
                                            You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you could take
                                            the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

SPOILER

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. He simply answered: 'I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams.'

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations.
                                            Never forget to 'Think Outside of the Box.'
                                            SPOILER

HOWEVER....., The correct answer is to run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have sex with the perfect partner on the bonnet of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.
                                            Only in Ireland there's such a shocking public transport system that this becomes a dilemma.
                                            But as for the answer, surely accelerate towards the the closest puddle whilst shouting bus wankers at them.
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                              that has to be a 1st for WW....christ almighty
                                              cliffs?

Comment

Thread had to be locked because Howard and Rigger were throwing handbags at one another.

Comment

cliffs?
                                                  finkle gonna finkle
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I wouldn't say either party was more at fault than the other tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      Thread had to be locked because Howard and Rigger were throwing handbags at one another.
                                                      Step down from alcohol and confectionary IMO

Comment

Because jobs are just that easy to get right??

"Only" €1k is still a lot of money, and more so if you have no job or no hope of getting part time work. Terrible attitude imo.

Comment

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds 50 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t3275)
                                                          Hero (BB) (t3260)
                                                          UTG (t3541)
                                                          UTG+1 (t3536)
                                                          MP1 (t27433)
                                                          MP2 (t6135)
                                                          MP3 (t4635)
                                                          CO (t8262)
                                                          Button (t7795)

Hero's M: 2.41

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A
                                                          1 fold, UTG+1 calls t600, MP1 bets t1200, 5 folds, Hero raises to t3210 (All-In), UTG+1 raises to t3486 (All-In), MP1 calls t2286

Flop: (t10932) 9, 4, Q (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t10932) 5 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t10932) A (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t10932

Results:
                                                          Hero had J, A (one pair, Aces).
                                                          UTG+1 had 7, J (high card, Ace).
                                                          MP1 had J, 5 (one pair, fives).
                                                          Outcome: Hero won t10380, MP1 won t552

didn't see me winning this on the turn!
                                                          Last edited by BrianByrne; 03-11-10, 17:13.
                                                          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post

"Only" €1k is still a lot of money, and more so if you have no job or no hope of getting part time work. Terrible attitude imo.
                                                            Part time work is definitely out there imo.

Comment

we'll teach them all to play poker. it'll be grand.

Comment

Ugh rugby forum tilt. So many Braindead posters over there
                                                                I didn't say changing a gameplan, I said altering the gameplan.
                                                                Why do I even bother?
                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 03-11-10, 17:18.

Comment

yeah you are probably right, it mine has a ring to it.

Comment

we'll teach them all to play poker. it'll be grand.
                                                                    Here someone in DCU is already on that. Quit Zuckerberging!

Comment

Anyone playing the Jackpot 40 FO this evening?

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post

im a student myself, but ye working towards 1k is a lot obviously in one go, however at 20 a week its much more mangeable. if you cut back on boozeage and eat better 20 is nothing.

nitelinks home or part of the way instead of taxi's is just one way i started saving a lot of cash

Comment

5 easy steps to saving a thousand euro a year as a student.

Get a bike, lights, and a good lock. This will last you 4 years of college, with small amounts of maintenance and can be use for as many journeys as you can handle, all doable for less than 4e a week (spread across bikes lifetime + maintenance costs)

Bring your own lunch to college, teabags and a travel mug too, easy enough to cut back > 8 quid a week doing this

Use book123.net as an online library for any textbooks your course requires.

Pick and choose your nights out. Not having a social life will severely impact upon your ability to successfully interact in the real world, so don't be a recluse, but don't overdo it either.

Budget, budget, budget. Track your expenses for 4weeks, then go over them. There will be gaping life leaks in many spots. Seal them up!

Comment

Jackbacks Q.
                                                                            Give the old lady a lift. Perfect match and old friend a favour = quitzies.
                                                                            Run down Jackback on his bicycle on the way home. (black out reg plates in case victim is a venditive type)

*If Stewelpeter. Old Lady = Perfect match.
                                                                            Or perhaps hook up the aul wan with our very own Solskjaer

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                                              You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die
                                                                              2. A very old friend who once saved your life.
                                                                              3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?
                                                                              Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.
                                                                              You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you could take
                                                                              the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

SPOILER

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. He simply answered: 'I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams.'

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations.

Never forget to 'Think Outside of the Box.'
                                                                              SPOILER

HOWEVER....., The correct answer is to run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have sex with the perfect partner on the bonnet of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.
                                                                              I would just drive on incase id miss my earlybird chip

Comment

As a student myself the USI are absolutely delusional if they think that an increase in reg fees are going to see thousands of people dropping out of courses.

Saying that people couldn't afford an extra 1k over the course of a year is a non argument, because for those who actually can't afford it, there are the grants! The grant system is already giving money to people who don't really need it, several of my classmates spent their grant money on capital luxuries last year (big tvs, cars etc).
                                                                                Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Lads,

Looking for a sub for the current werewolf game rather than modkill.

Anyone interested, send a PM with your CV and i'll take the 1st one

Tony

Comment

I would

Nice line about Senor Raouls's latest proto Fascist man crush in the FT

The other name we are all going to have get used to is John Boehner - the new speaker of the House. I must say I didn’t much like the look of him. The fact that he cried during his victory speech is a very black mark against him. This is not just a primitive British prejudice against “blubbing”. It’s also that Boehner was not crying tears of compassion. His tears fall into a new category “tears of self-congratulation”. He began to weep as he recounted how far he had come from his humble days waiting on tables.
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                      As a student myself the USI are absolutely delusional if they think that an increase in reg fees are going to see thousands of people dropping out of courses.

Saying that people couldn't afford an extra 1k over the course of a year is a non argument, because for those who actually can't afford it, there are the grants! The grant system is already giving money to people who don't really need it, several of my classmates spent their grant money on capital luxuries last year (big tvs, cars etc).
                                                                                      I may be wrong but I don't think grants will cover the extra fees considering they are being cut by around 10% after the budget next month. Also, don't paint all students who are on grants with the same brush, thanks.

Edit to say it's a moo point (yeah, like a cow) as I'm in my last year
                                                                                      Last edited by sligoboi; 03-11-10, 18:02. Reason: 2nd edit for sounding like a pretentious twat
                                                                                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

I know I should probably be like "Hiss, boo, poor form" etc, but Negreanu is such a prick I lol'd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMZSRtbNZ8
                                                                                        20 seconds?
                                                                                        Slow roll?

Apparently life changing sum of money in the middle for the lad

sit back, take a good look at board to make sure, get a mouthful of air in and pray for a friendly river

Negreanu just crying imo

as for turning them over slowly
                                                                                        Dam right (Negreanu wasn't too quick turning them over himself)

*ooh and of course lol Negreanu
                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 03-11-10, 17:50. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                          20 seconds?
                                                                                          Slow roll?

Apparently life changing sum of money in the middle for the lad

sit back, take a good look at board to make sure, get a mouthful of air in and pray for a friendly river

Negreanu just crying imo

as for turning them over slowly
                                                                                          Dam right (Negreanu wasn't too quick turning them over himself)

*ooh and of course lol Negreanu
                                                                                          Its a slow roll.
                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Facebook spazzy for anybody else? I can log onto the page but it wont let me do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                                              I may be wrong but I don't think grants will cover the extra fees considering they are being cut by around 10% after the budget next month. Also, don't paint all students who are on grants with the same brush, thanks.

Edit to say it's a moo point (yeah, like a cow) as I'm in my last year of a 5 year under grad course
                                                                                              I'm sure my former classmates are the exception rather then the rule, but it is happening that people who don't need grants apply for them anyway.

In Ireland in general I feel there is a bad attitude of "well its free money, so it'd be stupid of me not to try and get some".
                                                                                              This goes for all types of government hand outs.

I'd hazard to say that the hardest grant to get is to start a business!
                                                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

You should get a bonus prize for slowrolling that complete and utter c*nt Negreanu.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                  You should get a bonus prize for slowrolling that complete and utter c*nt Negreanu.
                                                                                                  Get off the fence and tell us how you really feel...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                    Its a slow roll.
                                                                                                    20 seconds? meh

well then poker players need to man up and stop being such nerds imo

long way from penny apples and six shooters under the table

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                    You should get a bonus prize for slowrolling that
                                                                                                    complete and utter c*nt Negreanu.
                                                                                                    its odds on Negreanu did something to annoy the lad "to gain an advantage" during the game

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                      Budget, budget, budget. Track your expenses for 4weeks, then go over them. There will be gaping life leaks in many spots. Seal them up!
                                                                                                      What about the people who are already doing all this? Where do they get the extra 1k?
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Its a slow roll.
                                                                                                        Yes it is indeed a slow roll imo, but Negreanu is still a top notch cunt.
                                                                                                        NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                          Hurts are playing The Academy in Dublin Feb 7 2011 tickets on sale Friday.

Opr
                                                                                                          Nice one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                                                                            What about the people who are already doing all this? Where do they get the extra 1k?
                                                                                                            Speaking only anecdotally, as a UCD graduate, I would guess that (a lot) less than one in 5 people in ucd would actually be doing this already.
                                                                                                            Of course it's not a fair representation of the rest of the students, but there's a heck of a lot of fat that can be cut from the majority of students without causing boatloads of stress.

as I posted earlier though, increasing fees has to be done right, with adequate loans being provided by the govt, enabling people to delay spending on the increase until they are earning.

The two part process to dealing with the issue has started, as a one part process...

Typical govt behaviour unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                                              20 seconds? meh

well then poker players need to man up and stop being such nerds imo

long way from penny apples and six shooters under the table

its odds on Negreanu did something to annoy the lad "to gain an advantage" during the game
                                                                                                              20 seconds??? Yeah its still a slow roll, the guy sits back in his chair hands on his head like he has a decision to make while sitting there with the nuts.

Originally posted by four of a kind poker View Post
                                                                                                              Yes it is indeed a slow roll imo, but Negreanu is still a top notch cunt.
                                                                                                              He is a bit of a dope lately but im not seeing the out and out hatred for him.

Comment

20 seconds??? Yeah its still a slow roll, the guy sits back in his chair hands on his head like he has a decision to make while sitting there with the nuts.

He is a bit of a dope lately but im not seeing the out and out hatred for him.
                                                                                                                Its time to start hating on him
                                                                                                                NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                  2 easy steps to saving a thousand euro a year as a student.

1. Use a bit of common sense
                                                                                                                  2. End.
                                                                                                                  FYP
                                                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by four of a kind poker View Post
                                                                                                                    Its time to start hating on him
                                                                                                                    You just set this up perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                      megasin fails at VoFo Omaha.

As do I, but that's not important.
                                                                                                                      Lol. Turns out hitting sets are a bad thing. Nice to put another name to a face.

Comment

RTE news doing an expose on the Drogheda accent.

Comment

He probably cocked his leg and followed through.

Surely BG (before google) makes more sense than using BC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDLIwlzkgY
                                                                                                                          Have to lol at the predictions presented as impending.
                                                                                                                          Where's my hoover board imo.

quote=phantom_lord;185281]Seems to have been written by the same person. Real motive of the protest becoming clear?[/quote]

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                          Think it's 41k or below. and one of the issues is that because it is happening so suddenly, a lot of families might not have saved for it.
                                                                                                                          It's been on the cards for a long time though, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

What tilts me about today's protest is that the turn out 2 years ago for the student protests was piss poor. The turnout today is far greater and more impassioned.
                                                                                                                          It's 4 weeks before the budget, it's a bit fucking late at this stage.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 03-11-10, 18:53.
                                                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X