X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    great photoshoportunity
    Jebus, that photo can be used against Harney pretty easily without any photo-shoppage needed:

Harney seen burying murdered Health System, etc etc

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Anyone read this? Worth a look?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker\'s Guide to... View Post
          Hate dumbass things like that.

It\'s not like Harney wants to cut services - but there are huge inefficiencies in the provision of health care in the country - e.g. with inefficient hospitals serving small populations, and its better that these services are cut rather than the better services. It\'s also been reasonably shown that concentrating some services leads to better treatment for patients. And Harney has presided over a huge rise in the international ranking of our health services. But, yeah, well done the guy throwing the paint
          Get a grip bro. She has been in the office since 2004 and since then the public health system has gone backwards. It was grossly inefficient then. It\'s worse now after spending shead loads.

Any type of grassroots protest in this country right now should be applauded. So much better than apathy or idle talk.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            Get a grip bro. She has been in the office since 2004 and since then the public health system has gone backwards. It was grossly inefficient then. It\'s worse now after spending shead loads.

Any type of grassroots protest in this country right now should be applauded. So much better than apathy or idle talk.
            throwing paint smacks of amateurism though

what happened to thinking big and getting yourself a proper paintball gun with 100 paint balls? ffs, PaddyPowerPoker would not do it this way I can tell you

also, can you explain the bolded quote above in terms of metrics that I can understand?
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
              And Harney has presided over a huge rise in the international ranking of our health services.
              That is to say she ran well when it came to being in the right place at the right time, much like Bertie and tons of others of that ilk. That 'Drunkard's Walk' book is pretty dull but it does have an interesting few pages on how little impact these 'CEO' grade people have and how run-good is way way way more important to their legacy than anything they actually do.

Comment

My internet has been a bit sketchy the last couple of days, kinda drops in and out for like 20 minutes at a time not too bad but hopefully its grand so I can get all my downloads down today really looking forward to The Walking Dead, neighbours next door havent had any tv for a couple of days now I can find it weird how there can be a fault in the area and we are grand for the majority of time by they are in bits.
                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Dunno if this would be of interest to anyone here, but Irish people do like to talk about the weather!

The next Irish Met Society event, "An Evening with Dr Aidan Nulty - recollections from 32 years of weather forecasting" will take place on Thursday November 11th at 7pm in Wynn's Hotel, just off O'Connell Street Dublin.

Dr Aidan Nulty began working for Met Éireann in 1978 having completed a Ph.D. in Physics in UCD. Following short stints in Rosslare and Shannon Airport, Aidan started working in the central forecasting office (CAFO). He was part of the RTÉ weather team for 16 years between June 1983 and January 1999. After a long career in forecasting, Aidan retired in April 2010 and the Met Society is delighted to have him as a guest speaker.

The evening will begin as an interview format, with Gerald Fleming, Head of Forecasting in Met Éireann, acting as the interviewer. Following this, the audience will get the chance to quiz Aidan on his decades of forecasting experience.

If you would like to attend this event, you may book your place by emailing info@irishmetsociety.org.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                    My internet has been a bit sketchy the last couple of days, kinda drops in and out for like 20 minutes at a time not too bad but hopefully its grand so I can get all my downloads down today really looking forward to The Walking Dead, neighbours next door havent had any tv for a couple of days now I can find it weird how there can be a fault in the area and we are grand for the majority of time by they are in bits.
                    My broadband has been the same for the last few days. I am with Eircom are you with them too?

Comment

Well if they have a suitable grant system then that should be fine. Not sure about the research, but broadly heard that people from poor backgrounds tend to be a lot more apprehensive about taking on debts compared to the middle classes.

There is also the control issue - e.g. of the parents saying 'you do medicine or we don't pay the fees'. A student loan system allows students to make their own choices. Although clearly doesn't address the issue of the government needing money now.
                      TBH the students' march this week will be a farce organised by the self-serving cunts in the USI/College SUs and attended mostly by arseholes with nothing better to do who wouldn't struggle to pay the reg fee at all, although I'm sure there's a few people who are genuinely worried and I feel bad for them. I'm a student that pays his own reg fee, has a part-time job and a loan (admittedly this was to fund a summer holiday but nevertheless I'm in debt!) and I don't object to a hike in the reg fee at all so long as I can take out a decently structured loan to pay for it. If people value their third-level education they should be willing to pay for it.

This is a paper from UCD saying basically that free fees did nothing to encourage people from working class backgrounds to go to third-level. The main thing governing whether or not you get to college is your leaving cert, if you go to a shite school and come from a family where education isn't valued it isn't gonna matter that there's free fees. The financial assistance system that's there would be perfectly fine if it wasn't for the massive delays in the County Councils processing the grants. I know of people who had to defer/drop out of college this year because their grant was taking so long to come through, LOL publicserviceaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
                        My broadband has been the same for the last few days. I am with Eircom are you with them too?
                        UPC, has been ok so far so think I will risk it any try and get them now and hope it dont cut out!

Zombies!

Comment

Dunno how many of you are familiar with the townsfolk of Galway but on my mate's facebook pics there is a pic of one of the guys dressed up as the affectionately known "knacker dwarf".

Comment

WANT

and

WANT

Anybody done much research in this area?

I've done stuff like this with regards financial markets for my thesis but would love to learn how to do it for sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                              ^^^This

Which is really frustrating because I thought it started off brilliantly and by book 4 I was hoping he'd diverge and go back into a set of prequels, maybe a trilogy around The War of Power showing the events leading up to/during/aftermath.

By book 7 it was going rapidly downhill and I think Jordan had completely lost control of it. I read one more in hope but then gave up as it was obvious that he had no idea how to bring it to an end.

Apparently Universal pictures have bought the rights to The Wheel of Time and plan to adapt the first book into a movie soon enough. I'm not sure how well it will translate tbh, and I think they'll end up skipping the content of Books 7/9 if they push on with the series.

There's so much out there that's superior to the later books that it's hard to justify going back to them. A Song of Ice & Fire & The Malazan Book of the Fallen to name just two, and then you have Williams, Feist, Cook,Hobb, Wurts and so on.

meh, when it's finally over I'll probably go back through it and read them all just to finish it out. I won't be looking forward to it though.
                              if you do fancy reading some of the ones you missed, I can lend you the books. The last one really was as good add the first few and made me interested in the whole story again.

Waiting for George r.r. Martin to write his next book in the fire and ice series is very annoying though. Only 1 book in the last 8 years, and that was below par as well.

Comment

For any recent graduates who can be around the UCD region on Thursday, that are interested in a job with the Central Bank;

Jonathan McMahon, Assistant Director General for Financial Institution’s Supervision – “The Irish Banking crisis – lessons learned, future challenges?”

The Central Bank are currently recruiting for between 50 and 60 graduates to start employment with us as part of our Graduate Development Programme in 2011. We recruit graduates from all disciplines and this year took on up to 15 graduates with a legal background. We are particularly interested in legal graduates again this year with the introduction of a number of new Enforcement departments in the organisation.

As part of the recruitment campaign for the programme this year we are holding an evening event on UCD campus where a senior member of staff (Jonathan McMahon, Assistant Director General with responsibility for Financial Institution’s Supervision) will deliver a talk entitled “The Irish Banking crisis – lessons learned, future challenges?” Students will then have the opportunity to ask questions etc.

The talk is due to take place on Thursday 4th November 2010, Room Q015 Quinn Business School at 5pm.

Comment

McKillen loses NAMA case

Comment

Jesus that McKillen thing this morning was an eye-opener. First time I've been around a "celebrity" case and it's some craic when something interesting happens.

Interesting note: round hall is apparently a confusing place to hurry out of when you're not sure which door is the exit.
                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The assault on Mary Harney was the signal to begin phase 1 of the revolution. The revolution will only use weapons that are overstocked due to the recession. Tomorrow a breeze block will be dropped on the noggin of
                                      4 well known FF TDS as they sip coffee outside Sam Sara. Then a 200 man (temps from the public service) will make an attack on the dail from the Stephens Green end , and approaching from Dawsons street a little later 50/60 more from Drimnagh who had a pint in Keoghs 1st. The plan is to take over Dail Eireann and immediately commence some serious debate.
                                      Unfortunately we don't expect to take many hostages as the dail is mostly empty at this and every other time of the year. I myself will be in the GPO killing English people. I don't really want to be part of a revolution if there are no English kopping it so I'm doing me own one.

So Stewelpeter, Kayroo, Raoul and other sympathisers to the crown please post yer letters on Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                        if you do fancy reading some of the ones you missed, I can lend you the books. The last one really was as good add the first few and made me interested in the whole story again.

Waiting for George r.r. Martin to write his next book in the fire and ice series is very annoying though. Only 1 book in the last 8 years, and that was below par as well.
                                        Thanks for that, if I do decide to revisit I may well take you up on that offer!

The whole Martin thing is frustrating alright, he readily admits his own failings though. I don't know if you've read the Dreamsongs collection (2 parts) but there's so many stories in there where he started a (quite good and engaging mostly) arc and then lost interest/direction and never finished as a result.

A Song of Ice & Fire is being affected by that and his growing popularity across other series and media. The upcoming series of A Game of Thrones from HBO has taken up a lot of his time and he's returned to his Wild Cards series over the last few years publishing 3 and with another on the way. He just strikes me as someone who is easily distracted and side-tracked and who needs to be browbeaten into staying on a topic. The first book in A Song of Ice & Fire was published in 1996, 14 years and still not completed yet.

Compare that to say Erikson who is delivering a Malazan book on almost an annual basis, but isn't really working on anything else that's so high profile. Some people don't like Eriksons style and even complain that it's like a conveyor belt rather than a series of engaging novels but I think the breadth and scope of what he's doing is incredible, even if there are similarities with Glen Cooks Black Company series.
                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                          Kurzweil's a drooler. That is all.

Fair Play to Mary H for keeping on going and doing the gig with all the paint dripping off her.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Crown forces, prepare your positions.

Comment

Cheap Trips to NY / LA / Vegas etc.

Does anybody know anything about a guy who offers great deals to the US?

He offers great deals on flights and accomo on trips to the US. Apparantly he plays in the Empy / Fitz but I don't know. Or does he post on here?

Just wondering if he is legit or if anyone has any experience with him?

Thanks.

Last edited by pocketdooz; 01-11-10, 15:08.
                                              No Sig To See Here

Comment

November now & looks like it's going to be a very Merry Christmas !!!

Portfolio is up over 37% year to date.

10 Places for my money, starting now for the full year 2010 (Figures in Bold were the prices at the beginning of 2010)

1. Fresenius Medical Care (FME) - 37.50 - up 22.9% to 46.09

2. Aegis Group (AGS) - 1.17 - up 7.7% to 1.26

3. Virgin Media (VMED) - 17.12 - up 48.8% to 25.48

4. Harris and Harris (TINY) - 4.52 - down 7.1% to 4.20

5. MDC Partners (MDCA) - 8.35 - up 67.7% to 14.00

6. Publicis Groupe (PUB) - 28.67 - up 26.5% to 36.28

7. Liberty Global International (LBTYA) - 22.02 - up 72.4% to 37.97

8. Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT) - 4.19 - up 28.8% to 5.40

9. Marriott International (MAR) - 27.71 - up 36.1% to 37.70

10. British Sky Broadcasting (BSY) - 5.66 - up 24.9% to 7.07

Total Portfolio increase from January 1st 2010 to October 31st 2010 was 37.3%

Compares to an increase of 6.7% for the DJIA and an increase of 4.6% for the S&P

---

€10,000 invested in the "10 Places for 2008" in January 2008 and transferred into the "10 Places for 2009" in January 2009 would have given you the following portfolios today:

Pocketdooz: €19,222, a return of 92.2%

DJIA: €12,680, a return of 26.8%

S&P: €13,120, a return of 31.2%

No Sig To See Here

Comment

Originally posted by pocketdooz View Post
                                                  Does anybody know anything about a guy called?

He offers great deals on flights and accomo on trips to the US. Apparantly he plays in the Empy / Fitz but I don't know. Or does he post on here?

Thanks.

Probably not the best idea to be broadcasting the name around, yes the deals are legit havent gone on them myself.

Comment

I recently bought a new iPod Touch so am looking to sell my old one and I would like to give first refusal to somebody over here before I went and put it up on adverts.ie or something.

32gb 2nd Gen iPod Touch for sale - €180 anybody interested send me a PM or just post something in the BBV and will get back to you.

Its in very good condition no scratches on the screen very well kept some small wear and tear on the back and edges. Not sure if I still have the box for it, but have the USB connector no headphones thou as I normally give them away as I have a set of Bose headphones.

If anybody is interested and would like some pics etc to check it out would be able to do that.

Cheers lads.

Comment

First episode of The Walking Dead is amazing!

Opr

Comment

I keep seeing the numbers 1-11 everywhere. Wtf.

Comment

Repost from the other day for some of you's who might of missed this, Lazare posted this on Friday night its just brilliant if it doesn't bring a smile to your face you are dead on the inside

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                            also, can you explain the bolded quote above in terms of metrics that I can understand?
                                                            Back when Bertie didn't believe in bank accounts he used to keep all the government money in potting sheds at the back of the Japanese gardens

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                              Back when Bertie didn't believe in bank accounts he used to keep all the government money in potting sheds at the back of the Japanese gardens
                                                              please don't use the B-word

it upsets me greatly

Comment

Probably not the best idea to be broadcasting the name around, yes the deals are legit havent gone on them myself.
                                                                Cheers Danny, yeah makes sense.

Does anyone know of anyone who has actually gone on one?

Thanks
                                                                No Sig To See Here

Comment

Thanks
                                                                  pretty sure one of the regs from the SE has done, I remember him telling me about it and it all worked out fine

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                    First episode of The Walking Dead is amazing!

Opr
                                                                    Anywere you can watch this online as i dont have Sky.

Comment

Repost from the other day for some of you's who might of missed this, Lazare posted this on Friday night its just brilliant if it doesn't bring a smile to your face you are dead on the inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo
                                                                      overkill, bad production imo

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Thoughts on this laptop. Seems like a good bargain but i do no fuck all about these things!

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                          Thoughts on this laptop. Seems like a good bargain but i do no fuck all about these things!
                                                                          http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_...ZG_687712.html
                                                                          looks pretty good tbh, screen is a little small
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Does anybody know anything about a guy who offers great deals to the US?

Thanks.

details pls, PM if required. Are we talking significant differences or just small savings?

Also, would like to get your 10 for 2011 around the 27th Dec or so pls
                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

So there are actual advantages to being dead on the inside?

That in itself has cheered me up no-end
                                                                              I almost feel a sight curling of my top lip

Comment

this sort of thing?

Comment

Isn't in the same league as this which is possibly the cultural high point for us as a species so far ... IMO

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXiuK6nrWTA[/ame]

I've read a few different attempts at explaining why that is so great but I'm not sure that anyone really understands why it is so awesome.
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Well if they have a suitable grant system then that should be fine. Not sure about the research, but broadly heard that people from poor backgrounds tend to be a lot more apprehensive about taking on debts compared to the middle classes.
                                                                                    I despise debt and strive to never be in that situation

There is also the control issue - e.g. of the parents saying 'you do medicine or we don't pay the fees'. A student loan system allows students to make their own choices. Although clearly doesn't address the issue of the government needing money now.
                                                                                    That hadn't occurred to me but why don't we flip it and have a situation where the government heavily subsidises courses which provide graduates the country actually needs (whatever they may be at any given time) and anyone doing other courses (e.g. health promotion or recreation management type carry on ) pays their own way.

Originally posted by daire View Post
                                                                                    If people value their third-level education they should be willing to pay for it.
                                                                                    Speaking as someone in the position, I would be in favour of a different (few percent higher) tax band on recent graduates to contribute towards the cost of their education. Based on the assumption one is able to secure employment in their field.
                                                                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

I don't know if anyone remembers discussing the big casino/hotel/resort proposed for Tipperary a while back. Massive casino in it (for our standards i suppose) and a mini whitehouse . Tipp Co Co granted it today, prob be in press later/tomorrow

Comment

Tony Stewelpeter

It's called harmony. I'm not talking about harmony in the musical sense (though it does apply also)

Comment

Thanks
                                                                                          Yeah its all pretty cool, if you have the chance to do it I would snap the hand of it. As for keeping the name a little secret ive had people come up to me and say "do you know such and such is doing a deal to xyz" ive seen them given away as prizes at poker tournaments as well some people eh

Im trying to think of who went on it, I think im correct on who it is and they had no problems went to do it again and had troubles with dates but got all their money back so was grand.

With so many people looking to get onto your man it can get a little tricky with it (ie dates), when I spoke to him he does sound pure D4 and like slick rick trying to hustle and bustle but I havent heard one bad thing about it so far.

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                          overkill, bad production imo
                                                                                          Dead on the inside

So there are actual advantages to being dead on the inside?

That in itself has cheered me up no-end
                                                                                          Uber dead on the inside

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          Isn't in the same league as this which is possibly the cultural high point for us as a species so far ... IMO

More than 200 dancers were performing their version of "Do Re Mi", in the Central Station of Antwerp. with just 2 rehearsals they created this amazing stunt!...

We had a 45 minute gap between two trains and there was a school group performing the Do Re Mi! It too us a while to realize that this was a performace!!! It...

I've read a few different attempts at explaining why that is so great but I'm not sure that anyone really understands why it is so awesome.
                                                                                          Its still a great video but the 2 you posted are great I especially love the first one.

Comment

This is utterly ridiculous but couldnt stop laughing at it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWDg1r_N6Y[/ame]

Comment

This is utterly ridiculous but couldnt stop laughing at it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWDg1r_N6Y
                                                                                              More of a shart tbf.

Comment

Anybody have any good notes/links describing channel management and demand networks?

Comment

just seeing in the stars lobby there is some nice additions to the MTT schedule between 12pm and 6pm which is usually fairly quiet
                                                                                                  http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

Harry Redknapp is an out and out Scumbag.

Comment

The Walking Dead gets the thumbs up from me

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                        Obv, what he do now?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                                          I don't know if anyone remembers discussing the big casino/hotel/resort proposed for Tipperary a while back. Massive casino in it (for our standards i suppose) and a mini whitehouse . Tipp Co Co granted it today, prob be in press later/tomorrow

can we add this smiley???
                                                                                                          http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post

can we add this smiley???
                                                                                                            I don't know what half the smileys are but what does that one mean?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJFF View Post
                                                                                                              just seeing in the stars lobby there is some nice additions to the MTT schedule between 12pm and 6pm which is usually fairly quiet
                                                                                                              New schedule looks awesome and even more to come throughout the week until next monday when it will all be in place.

Comment

Help please lads!

I use firefox but the last couple of days i'm having internet explorer windows popping up with various gambling/casino sites advertised.

Any idea how I can stop this?

I'd appreciate any help as I'm useless with this stuff, cheers.
                                                                                                                We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

havent played an online mtt in ages. Might give a few on stars a go tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                    Harry is a total legend - Completly destroyed Portsmouth which was a bit rough but the discount he got on Van der Vart makes his awesome. I may be a little biased as a Spurs fan tho.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                                                      I don't know what half the smileys are but what does that one mean?
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Zuroph View Post

.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                                                                                                        Harry is a total legend - Completly destroyed Portsmouth which was a bit rough but the discount he got on Van der Vart makes his awesome. I may be a little biased as a Spurs fan tho.
                                                                                                                        He ran Bournemouth and Southampton into the ground too, he is scum.

Comment

i run gooooooooooooooot.
                                                                                                                          4th in thw same 19K grtd again for $2.6K .

7K for first.

played one bad hand 4 handed and got very short and was knocked out shortly afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X