X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    wtf?
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
      wtf?
      as in, wtf is Norris on?

I agree, pretty damning article I think really. Not sure how well quoted he has been in it, or if there are elements of paraphrasing, but he was outspoken in his defence of O'Searcaigh, and anyone who watched that documentary on him saw that he was definitely definitely burning morals if not breaking laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
        Anyhu should we not be teaching kids that saving is bad due to inflation/rising costs?
        If we, as a nation, had a better attitude towards saving we wouldn't be in the financial mess that we are in at the moment... I would imagine that teaching children that good financial management will provide them with advantages/safety in the future, will lead to them developing financial common sense. Something that clearly we have not instilled in our children when you had people taking out crazy mortgages that they realistically could never pay back.

The fact that my girlfriends parents are wanting her not to rent, but wait and buy a house because renting = "paying off somebodies mortgage for them" is laughable (and these are intelligent people with highly respected jobs). It just goes to show how inept/down right silly, some people are when it comes to money matters.
        Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          ?
          He closed Ted's thread..Boo is right
          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
            wtf?
            The more you know about the man the less likable he is

Comment

The more you know about the man the less likable he is
              Who should be next president in your opinion shambo

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                If we, as a nation, had a better attitude towards saving we wouldn't be in the financial mess that we are in at the moment... I would imagine that teaching children that good financial management will provide them with advantages/safety in the future, will lead to them developing financial common sense. Something that clearly we have not instilled in our children when you had people taking out crazy mortgages that they realistically could never pay back.

The fact that my girlfriends parents are wanting her not to rent, but wait and buy a house because renting = "paying off somebodies mortgage for them" is laughable (and these are intelligent people with highly respected jobs). It just goes to show how inept/down right silly, some people are when it comes to money matters.
                I didn't buy a house during the boom!
                I laughed at people who said rent is dead
                I also at older relatives who payed into savings schemes over the years and ended up WORSE OFF in real terms

teach kids not to buy on the never never, to pay what they can afford, to wear a shirt more than once
                however don't lie to them about letting money sit in a low interest account for 20 years

ooh and you may have missed the ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                  anyone think David Norris to be next president at 9/2 is buying money?
                  Have you a lay option? [can't quite bring myself to write - 'you should lay david norris']

Bigger parties have an advantage for obvious reasons, both Pres. Robinson & Mc Alesse would never have done as well without the organised ready-built structure behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                    can anyone recommend a house cleaner in rathgar or nearby. Maybe two would be needed considering how messy this is

Appreciate any replies - houes is a kip and google isnt too helpful
                    Try these guys Donal. We found them pretty good and a good price compared to others.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                      Who should be next president in your opinion shambo
                      haven't looked at the runners tbh as
                      waiting on my shiny new passport, then...

I wanted to run the last time but was too young

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                        Myself and someone else in work are just about to submit a research proposal to the Financial Services Authority on promoting the savings habit in children. We're planning to give (through school teachers) 300 young kids £3 per week 'pocket money' for 15 weeks and give different groups of these kids different types of incentives to save, so e.g. one group might have that if they have 50% of the pocket money saved at the end of the 15 weeks they can cash it in for toys worth double the amount.

The idea being that the literature suggests that we learn the 'savings habit' when we are kids and this then follows through to adult life. We're trying to test what are the best types of incentives to engrain that savings habit.

Seems kinda surreal writing the proposal! Anyway, just looking up average pocket money for kids in the UK and apparently its £6 a week! That seems like a crazily generous amount of money.

I hope you encourage "entrepreneurship" while you're at it. Get a small stakes poker game going!!
                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Anyone able to tell me how i go about getting to liverpool by boat?
                          I was told i don't need to book anything and it costs €70 including train ticket?
                          Do you actually sail into liverpool or is it holyhead?
                          How long does it take?

Basically i know nothing about sailing so anyone whos gone to liverpool on a boat, HELP please!

Thanks

Comment

Myself and someone else in work are just about to submit a research proposal to the Financial Services Authority on promoting the savings habit in children. We're planning to give (through school teachers) 300 young kids £3 per week 'pocket money' for 15 weeks and give different groups of these kids different types of incentives to save, so e.g. one group might have that if they have 50% of the pocket money saved at the end of the 15 weeks they can cash it in for toys worth double the amount.

The idea being that the literature suggests that we learn the 'savings habit' when we are kids and this then follows through to adult life. We're trying to test what are the best types of incentives to engrain that savings habit.

Seems kinda surreal writing the proposal! Anyway, just looking up average pocket money for kids in the UK and apparently its £6 a week! That seems like a crazily generous amount of money.
                            Make it clear to the kids that if they want to be selected £1 out of the £3 comes back to you. Teach them how the real world works

Comment

teach kids not to buy on the never never, to pay what they can afford, to wear a shirt more than once
                              however don't lie to them about letting money sit in a low interest account for 20 years
                              Well I think Hitchhiker is developing an academic piece with practical implications. I don't think that encouraging children to save by offering them rewards = encouraging people to become put all their money into long term saving accounts. It will just open them up to the idea of the advantages of being frugal.
                              Of course this comes from someone who has €13.42 in his current account.
                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                Just here in work sorting out my parting details, asked for a written reference as I might need it while travelling or in the future and I'd like to have it on file or whatever!

Got the companies official line from my team leader:

The company don't give personal references, they'll only state the dates between which you worked and that's it! Nothing at all to do with how you performed or got on in your role. This is standard for all employees.

Am I wrong in thinking that that would look horrific for any prospective employer? I wouldn't mind if I was one of those here that stagnate and just do enough to get by, but in my 3 quarterly reviews so far I've gotten "top performer", in my bi annual personal performance review I was the highest ranked by some 15% in the metrics they use to gauge employee performance and the division head has guaranteed me a job no questions asked(well as much a guarantee as he can give) when I return.

Furious doesn't cover it.
                                lol at the fury. Get a mate working somewhere to give you a reference. You'll be on the other side of the world ffs. lol 15% metric outperformance indeed.

Comment

ugh, speaking of headphones, now my Sennheiser RS120s have only one side working.

I can't seem to find any guidance to fix them either.

Pain in the hole!
                                  Are you handy with a soldering iron?

Comment

Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                    I was told i don't need to book anything and it costs €70 including train ticket?
                                    How long does it take?

Basically i know nothing about sailing so anyone whos gone to liverpool on a boat, HELP please!

Thanks
                                    Yeah you can get a rail/sail deal and its into Holyhead, then train to Chester and Chester to Liverpool. The sail is about 2 hours i think (been ages since i went via boat) and you get the train to Chester when you get off the boat, its all dead handy.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                      Are you handy with a soldering iron?
                                      Define handy.

I struggled as a child to colour in between the lines of colouring books though...

Is there a specific part that sounds like it needs replacing? They weren't expensive, so if they're done, they're done, I'm not going to a whole lot of effort for them!

Comment

How long does it take?

Thanks
                                        PM Dub13, here or on boards, and he will tell you all you need to know about this.

I think the fast sailing doesn't go to Liverpool anymore, only an 8 hour boat from Dublin.

Ferry.ie is one place to get fare info, etc, and I'd imagine you would have to book in advance to get your place secured, etc.

Comment

hehe in my first Omaha tourney and im the chip lead(i know) with 162 left.

it's only a $1 rebuy with 1K for first.

haven't a clue how to play Omaha so im just playing any hand that looks pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                            Well I think Hitchhiker is developing an academic piece with practical implications. I don't think that encouraging children to save by offering them rewards = encouraging people to become put all their money into long term saving accounts. It will just open them up to the idea of the advantages of being frugal.
                                            Of course this comes from someone who has €13.42 in his current account.
                                            Again I think you missed the in the first post

My second post is replying to your tangent about family members
                                            not hitch handing sweets to kids in his capacity as a trusted adult

wait, haven't we been here before

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                              Yeah you can get a rail/sail deal and its into Holyhead, then train to Chester and Chester to Liverpool. The sail is about 2 hours i think (been ages since i went via boat) and you get the train to Chester when you get off the boat, its all dead handy.
                                              sound,
                                              and is it true the train is only 2/3 hours aswel?
                                              Im goin for the pool - west ham game next month so i presume 5am sailing would be plenty of time for the 5.30 Kick Off ?

Comment

How long does it take?

Thanks
                                                It only sails to Liverpool during the 'summer' months afaik. May-Aug I think. Holyhead normally and the train is about 2/2.5 hours to Lime St Stations.

Its basically a major session and can be decent fun depending on who you are with.

Comment

sound,
                                                  Im goin for the pool - west ham game next month so i presume 5am sailing would be plenty of time for the 5.30 Kick Off ?
                                                  Yep, plenty of time. Unless the sailing is cancelled and you have to wait for the slower ship. Should be fine though.

Comment

Define handy.

I struggled as a child to colour in between the lines of colouring books though...

Is there a specific part that sounds like it needs replacing? They weren't expensive, so if they're done, they're done, I'm not going to a whole lot of effort for them!
                                                    Well thing is, you might have been kinking the cable by wrapping it incorrectly for one and it could be frayed or broken in a couple of places. Also possibly the solder joints on the headphones themselves might have come loose or cracked if there was too much play or pressure on them. Obviously the build quality on a high end pair should negate this. Still it's hard for me to say without looking obviously.

Comment

sound,
                                                      Loads of time mate, going to that game myself.

Comment

hmm, anyone with any electrical ability? Messing around with them for a while I've found that the left speaker only works above a certain volume level on the headset.
                                                        However, this is quite high, so I have to turn the input level down on the ipod/computer etc.
                                                        BUT, the headphones require a certain level of an input before they auto standby, and if I want to listen to a CD at a comfortable level, it will shut off every 10 mins and I'll get a huge amount of static in the headphones.

Any idea what I could do to fix this? Or what sounds broken on the headphones?
                                                        Well thing is, you might have been kinking the cable by wrapping it incorrectly for one and it could be frayed or broken in a couple of places. Also possibly the solder joints on the headphones themselves might have come loose or cracked if there was too much play or pressure on them. Obviously the build quality on a high end pair should negate this. Still it's hard for me to say without looking obviously.
                                                        This make any sense though?

Comment

Debra Morgan as a character discuss?
                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                            Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                              Had a big lol at your response to the 1st offer

Originally posted by UraiseIfold View Post
                                                              15 min short film, especially for The Rigger - Your Lucky Day
                                                              That was really well done. Folk should watch incase they skipped over it.
                                                              It's all an illusion

Comment

This make any sense though?
                                                                Head gasket mate.

Seriously though I am thinking that maybe the signal is not transmitting fully, maybe a bad solder joint/connection and again frayed wire perhaps. I am not exactly up on high end headsets and the like tbh though.

Comment

anyone think David Norris to be next president at 9/2 is buying money?
                                                                  main problem for him is just getting the nomination.

He did a talk in college yesterday and was pretty impressive. I'd vote for him anyway. But the must more active grey vote might not be so easily swayed.

Comment

spoilers please

@kev - you're minus craic

Comment

Ship the:

- Finding out there is a Professor rate of $245 to do CFA exams and no enrollment fee.

- Paycheck this month including loads of back-dated pay due to apparently being meant to be appointed as Senior Lecturer a few months ago.

- Getting word back that just got another part-time lecturing gig, bringing my combined pay from the current job plus two part-time job to about £3k above the top of the Professor scale (although UK professor pay is quite a bit lower than Irish professor pay)

Seem to be ridiculously good at getting money. Two people in my office who were appointed with similar quals and experience to me are being paid a huge amount less than me in the current job. And with these part-time jobs I'd be on about £25k more than them. Which is fairly substantial given that average pay in the UK is about £23k.

/ know this has been a bit of a brag!!!

Comment

At least 50% of the reason I watch the program

Season 5 spoilers -
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        Just to see how they're gonna kill her off, I was certain the Ice Truck Killer would do it, hated that he was thwarted! Hoping this is her season!

Head gasket mate.

Seriously though I am thinking that maybe the signal is not transmitting fully, maybe a bad solder joint/connection and again frayed wire perhaps. I am not exactly up on high end headsets and the like tbh though.
                                                                        Oh, I should mention these are wireless too...

Why would one side only work at high volumes?

Comment

my first 1st in a tourney on stars,pity it was only a 2.20 rebuy.But still nice to win.

Comment

beggin time
                                                                            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Please please please give my mates a vote, they can win 15k in rent for the next year, and are very very tight at the top of the competition, so every vote would be a huge help.
                                                                            one of my friends is in that too.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
                                                                              Yes.

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                              spoilers please

@kev - you're minus craic
                                                                              Im just talking in general so no need for spoilers I reckon

At least 50% of the reason I watch the program

Season 5 spoilers -
                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                              Just to see how they're gonna kill her off, I was certain the Ice Truck Killer would do it, hated that he was thwarted! Hoping this is her season!

Oh, I should mention these are wireless too...

Why would one side only work at high volumes?
                                                                              Interesting.

Comment

How long does it take?

Thanks
                                                                                haven't tried it yet but according to this site that Carlop linked here last week its only €40 one way from Dublin to anywhere in the UK any day
                                                                                you can read through this excellent site or just go straight to the Irish Ferries site
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                                                                                  my first 1st in a tourney on stars,pity it was only a 2.20 rebuy.But still nice to win.

well done, 1st of many hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                                                                                    hehe in my first Omaha tourney and im the chip lead(i know) with 162 left.

it's only a $1 rebuy with 1K for first.

haven't a clue how to play Omaha so im just playing any hand that looks pretty.
                                                                                    final table now but im very low in chips.

Comment

My brain aint working very well today I was totallly convinced it was Thursday all today till my Dad just told me it was Wednesday

Comment

Went to see Red this afternoon. Twas actually a pretty fun enjoyable film, wouldn't turn anyone against seeing it. What's troubling me is that I was strangely attracted to 65 year old Helen Mirren holding a semi-automatic gun
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                                                                          Went to see Red this afternoon. Twas actually a pretty fun enjoyable film, wouldn't turn anyone against seeing it. What's troubling me is that I was strangely attracted to 65 year old Helen Mirren holding a semi-automatic gun
                                                                                          I thought it was utter and complete Sh*t tbh..... and I would rather poke my eyeballs out than recommend it to anyone..... but meh what do I know
                                                                                          Follow me in twitterland

Comment

fuck Omaha anyway...out in 6th after getting dogged twice .

im pretty sure i was solid fav in both hands to win them.

got $209 for a $2 investment so i suppose it could have been worse.

Comment

Supposedly the final season of Friday Night Lights is starting to air in the states tonight, had no idea it was back but am delighted it is

Comment

Originally posted by 72zero View Post
                                                                                                Had a big lol at your response to the 1st offer

Just looked over it there and loled too. A genius response to a time waster wp
                                                                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Norway have released an online database which shows Income, Property (Currently held assets) and Tax of everyone in the country!

Came across it because people were posting what the likes of Annette and Lodden had declared in NVG.

Annette

Lodden

Opr

Comment

Beeeennnnnntttttnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh

Comment

What way do first goalscorer/correct score bets work when the 1st goal is an og?

Have a few quid on Bendtner 3-0/3-1

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                        What way do first goalscorer/correct score bets work when the 1st goal is an og?

Have a few quid on Bendtner 3-0/3-1
                                                                                                        og's dont count. rolls onto the next goal afaik

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                                                                          I'd hardly call that beast a flat-screen now
                                                                                                          Well it's obv not what you kids would term a 'flat screen' , but when I bought it it was shit cool.

Plus, the screen is flat.
                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Quick one for collie maybe .
                                                                                                            When i move my lap top to the bedroom the signal goes down to 1 bar .
                                                                                                            Is it possible to have a 2nd modem plugged in to the main one by etheret cable and situated closer to the bedroom to boost the signal ???

Comment

It's a bit Krul taking that goal away from super Nik.
                                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                                Is it possible to have a 2nd modem plugged in to the main one by etheret cable and situated closer to the bedroom to boost the signal ???
                                                                                                                I take you have an older house with thicker walls or a 2 story abode.

You can pick up a wireless access point which basically "repeats" your signal giving you increased range for less than €50. Setting it up is a bit tricky if you aren't kinda techy tbh. Place it obviously somewhere in the middle and you are sorted.

The other option would be if your laptop has got a wireless-n standard wifi adapter built in. Pickup a wireless router that is n-type and you will the benefit from a greater range and better connection overall. Most routers/wifi cards in laptops(greater than 2 years old or so) have been the g-type standard which isn't as strong in terms of range/range(compared to n-type) for a start. You can read more here on the wifi standards: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...11standard.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
                                                                                                                  Scouting thread = so much fun
                                                                                                                  lol, wp Ciaran.

Originally posted by Caf
                                                                                                                  Retardis
                                                                                                                  Brilliant.

What a fucking knob head.

Oh and the word 'worms' is so cringe inducing.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

And it's LIVE!!

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                                      i have a second router in my house
                                                                                                                      the only thing is one of them is a netgear and the other a trendnet and you have to switch them over on the laptop as you move around the house

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I've been thinking recently that I'd like to take up some part-time work / voluntary work to experience something new - can anyone think of any opportunities in the Dublin area that would spring to mind for being interesting / fun? Money isn't particularly important but I'd obvious prefer some cash rather than working for free!

Maybe this is a mad request; any interesting part-time jobs would probably be inundated with candidates...something like working part-time in a museum for minimum wage or helping out with a film festival or offering my marketing expertise to a worthy organisation, that's what I'm thinking of. Any thoughts welcome.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ionapaul; 27-10-10, 20:10.

Comment

Karen Brady looking yummy on the Apprentice.

This week's episode has the potential to be epic already.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X