This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
    Superb piece of trolling by Ionapaul in the main forum. Well played everyone who played a part.

Edit:
    8-ball are you sure you aren't doing it wrong? There's bound to be some program that will use the device's internal clock rather than insisting you use Google calendar. Try harder imo.
    this is my point exactly
    it was so easy in the old days

i remember when i was a youngfella.........

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      Just here in work sorting out my parting details, asked for a written reference as I might need it while travelling or in the future and I'd like to have it on file or whatever!

Got the companies official line from my team leader:

The company don't give personal references, they'll only state the dates between which you worked and that's it! Nothing at all to do with how you performed or got on in your role. This is standard for all employees.

Am I wrong in thinking that that would look horrific for any prospective employer? I wouldn't mind if I was one of those here that stagnate and just do enough to get by, but in my 3 quarterly reviews so far I've gotten "top performer", in my bi annual personal performance review I was the highest ranked by some 15% in the metrics they use to gauge employee performance and the division head has guaranteed me a job no questions asked(well as much a guarantee as he can give) when I return.

Furious doesn't cover it.
      This is now the standard in lots of companies so your prospective employers will understand. This is set up to protect terrible employees as giving a bad reference is now defemation of caracter. Strangley for years it was fine to refuse to give a bad reference for years but now this refusal is taken as defemation of character as everyone can read between the lines on that one. Another pointless rule designed to punish those who do their job well and keep lazy clowns employable. Not that I am bitter as it makes my job harder or anything

Comment

Just here in work sorting out my parting details, asked for a written reference as I might need it while travelling or in the future and I'd like to have it on file or whatever!

The company don't give personal references, they'll only state the dates between which you worked and that's it! Nothing at all to do with how you performed or got on in your role. This is standard for all employees.

Am I wrong in thinking that that would look horrific for any prospective employer? I wouldn't mind if I was one of those here that stagnate and just do enough to get by, but in my 3 quarterly reviews so far I've gotten "top performer", in my bi annual personal performance review I was the highest ranked by some 15% in the metrics they use to gauge employee performance and the division head has guaranteed me a job no questions asked(well as much a guarantee as he can give) when I return.

Its the same in the place I work in. (big pharma multi national) I dont get it myself but its policy here.

What industry are you in? I wouldnt take it personally.

Comment

Hypothetical Question:

You have an apartment you are renting with no car parking space
          There IS a parking space with your apt number in the car park but the landlord never paid for it and as such has no fob.
          Is it wrong to clone a neighbouts fob so you can access this space?
          How likely are you to get caught?
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Had a flat screen TV and stand on adverts.ie the last few weeks, originally had it at €150 but got no biters, dropped it to 100 and eventually accepted an offer of €70.

Guy calls earlier to get directions etc, so I heave the heavy bastard downstairs to await his arrival, I noticed the remote is missing the little plastic battery cover, but figure he's not gonna mind considering he's getting a TV and stand that I paid €900 for four years ago for less than a fucking restaurant bill. Ah he'll stick a bit of tape on it.

Oh no.

About an hour later he gets here and demands to see it plugged in, no bother, then asks where the battery cover is, I tell him I'll take a look upstairs.

I rummage around upstairs but can't find the thing anywhere, thinking it won't be a problem.

No deal he says, 'if ye find it, I'll come back' he says. WTF??

This guy travelled for an hour to get to my house then walked away because of a fucking tiny plastic battery cover.

He said the telly was for an elderly lady and he was worried about her changing the batteries. I put brand new duracells in there, a bit of tape and they'll out live the oul'one ffs.

Is this normal behaviour?

Here's the ad fwiw http://www.adverts.ie/254366/tv/phil...ew-price-drop/
            I'd hardly call that beast a flat-screen now

Comment

Flights booked for Australia

flying into sydney 9th of January,

had a serious battle with ebookers, got them at 800euro in the end they wer 650 and the bastards put them up,

couldn't care now, real excited
              http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                How much were you expecting?
                What's the location?

I had someone all lined up at 60e a month in July, then some moron in my building put an ad in the lobby offering a spot for 30e (which is just retarded), now I can't even find any cunt who wants my spot at 30e. Put it up on daft and haven't heard from a solitary cunt.
                That's a beat.

Its in SandyCove. Asked for 100,as seems to be the norm for this neck of the woods. Its cost a fortune otherwise, and theres never any parking due to where it is. Meh hes sound tbf, offered to buy a few pints across the road as way of sealing the deal. Acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                  This is now the standard in lots of companies so your prospective employers will understand. This is set up to protect terrible employees as giving a bad reference is now defemation of caracter. Strangley for years it was fine to refuse to give a bad reference for years but now this refusal is taken as defemation of character as everyone can read between the lines on that one. Another pointless rule designed to punish those who do their job well and keep lazy clowns employable. Not that I am bitter as it makes my job harder or anything
                  Yeah I figured that was the reason! Why the fook is the world coming to, someone can't even be acknowledged for their hard work.

Literally no incentive to be anything more than a drone.

All the more galling considering I'm a twenty two year old with a 2.1 in Commerce! I was banking on some experience and some excellent references to gloss over my pitiful degree.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Forge one while you can still access headed paper ldo.

Comment

Super Standard but it shouldn't matter, put your team leaders name down as a personal reference and he/she can give you any reference they want when they're called.

Most companies will only give a "X started here on Y date and finished on Z date" it's always about getting a manager on the phone afterwards for an individual reference.
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

All the more galling considering I'm a twenty two year old with a 2.1 in Commerce!
                        grades are over rated imo
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah I figured that was the reason! Why the fook is the world coming to, someone can't even be acknowledged for their hard work.

All the more galling considering I'm a twenty two year old with a 2.1 in Commerce! I was banking on some experience and some excellent references to gloss over my pitiful degree.
                          ah but in your favour you are an elite member of IPB just like Bubbleking. Send them in your post count and thread threaten them.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                            Super Standard but it shouldn't matter, put your team leaders name down as a personal reference and he/she can give you any reference they want when they're called.

Most companies will only give a "X started here on Y date and finished on Z date" it's always about getting a manager on the phone afterwards for an individual reference.
                            Not true most companies wont allow employees references for past employees as it is still tied into the companies name. This is the madness that Ally McBeal has left us with. Off the air for a decade and still haunting me.

Comment

beggin time
                              Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Please please please give my mates a vote, they can win 15k in rent for the next year, and are very very tight at the top of the competition, so every vote would be a huge help.
                              http://mobro.co/zuroph
                              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                To accumulate enduring wealth, do not lend to grasshoppers.

Comment

Yeah my team leader offered her hotmail address which I though while nice of her.... Isn't really 'the same! Phonecall would be nice but unfortunately all the calls are recorded so she couldn't/wouldn't be be willing to give mRNA glowing reference for the same reasons she wouldn't give me a written one.

I'm not taking it personally at all, just don't understand it, gives those that do fuck all a significant edge IMO.
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                    Its in SandyCove. Asked for 100,as seems to be the norm for this neck of the woods. Its cost a fortune otherwise, and theres never any parking due to where it is. Meh hes sound tbf, offered to buy a few pints across the road as way of sealing the deal. Acceptable.
                                    great bloke in my books

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

ugh, speaking of headphones, now my Sennheiser RS120s have only one side working.

I can't seem to find any guidance to fix them either.

Pain in the hole!

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-10-10, 15:31.
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

some companies will dice with danger and still give references. You should probably give them a call beforehand to check. I have no doubt that accademics will still produce top notch refernce documentation with full appendix available on request

Comment

Hotfile heads up !!

heads up on hotfile, kinda sneaky but meh, i joined last month to try it, just got a month for 9 bucks, the year is 55, they have automatic rebilling so just got charged for another 9 bucks.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Best work reference ever: 'Lemon numbers among my employees.'

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Not true most companies wont allow employees references for past employees as it is still tied into the companies name. This is the madness that Ally McBeal has left us with. Off the air for a decade and still haunting me.
                                                  well I've moved more than the average person and I've never had an issue with a reference. my most recent move was about 5 months ago and I got reference from 3 different managers in previous companies with no questions asked.

I've also provided reference for previous employees a number of times over the last few years and I've never received instructions otherwise from an employer.

I know this is your business so you would have a wider knowledge than me, but that's my experience
                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                    ugh, speaking of headphones, now my Sennheiser RS120s have only one side working.

Pain in the hole!
                                                    this would defo never happen if you had a pair of Bose

Comment

speaking of references. OLdies but goodies.

Since my last report, this employee has reached rock bottom and has started to dig."

"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity."

4. "I would not allow this employee to breed."

5. "This employee is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definite won't be."

6. "Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap."

7. "When she opens her mouth, it seems that it is only to change feet."

8. "He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle."

9. "This young lady has delusions of adequacy."

10. "He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them."

11. "This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot."

12. "This employee should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better."

13. "Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together."

14. "A gross ignoramus -- 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus."

15. "He doesn't have ulcers, he's a carrier."

16. "I would like to go hunting with him sometime."

17. "He's been working with glue too much."

18. "He would argue with a signpost."

19. "He has a knack for making strangers immediately."

20. "He brings a lot of joy whenever he leaves the room."

21. "When his I.Q. reaches 50 we should sell."

22. "If you see two people talking and one looks bored, he's the other one."

23. "A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on."

24. "A prime candidate for natural deselection."

25. "Donated his brain to science before he was done using it."

26. "Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming."

27. "Has two brains: one is lost and the other is out looking for it."

28. "If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week."

29. "If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change."

30. "If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean."

31. "It's hard to believe that he beat out 1,000,000 other sperm."

32. "One neuron short of a synapse."

33. "Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled."

34. "Takes him 1 1/2 hours to watch 60 minutes."

35. "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead."

Comment

Did you speak directly to the HR dept or the department head, if HR then try the department head as he may be more willing to help you out given your work performance.

Edit; Never mind seen posts above
                                                        Last edited by Jackyback; 27-10-10, 16:04.

Comment

anyone think David Norris to be next president at 9/2 is buying money?
                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Scouting thread = so much fun

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                              Not if the anti gay's get to him first..

This article will haunt him too

Don't forget who votes most btw, the golden oldies wont be as accepting of a Gay president as the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                I can see him asking Emmet Stagg if he's like to come up the Aras some time.

Comment

didn't realise the "knocking out a bounty" thing was such a big deal...... one time and all that

Dear Ms. Murphy,

Congratulations on knocking out a Boylepoker.com IPO Bounty player at this year’s IPO! As you have knocked out one of our Bounty players you have won entry into our $500 added BOSP (Be Our Sponsored Pro) promotion, Event #8 tournament.

The tournament is called ‘BOSP 8 IPO Bounties’ and will be held on Wednesday 03rd November at 21:00 (9pm). The winner of this tournament will also win a seat in our BOSP promo live final table, where the winner of the live final will receive a $10,000 sponsorship package with Boylepoker!

You can register for this tournament by logging into our Poker Client and clicking on ‘Boylepoker Exclusives’, then ‘BOSP’. Then just register for the ‘BOSP 8 IPO Bounties’ tournament. This is a restricted entry event so you will need to register yourself for the tournament before it starts. Registration is now open.

Please note entry into this tournament is non-transferable. If you are unable to play, your seat in this event will be forfeit.

We wish you the very best of luck at in the tournament.

Kind Regards,

The Boylepoker Team
                                                                  Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Not if the anti gay's get to him first..

http://www.davidnorris4president.com/
                                                                    Saw that, TBH I think it will do him more good than harm, people will rally to support him against the clear nutjob of a biblebashing child.

I think he'll get there, anyone wanna offer me better odds?
                                                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

well I've moved more than the average person and I've never had an issue with a reference. my most recent move was about 5 months ago and I got reference from 3 different managers in previous companies with no questions asked.

I've also provided reference for previous employees a number of times over the last few years and I've never received instructions otherwise from an employer.

I know this is your business so you would have a wider knowledge than me, but that's my experience
                                                                      Totaly dependent on the company lots are fine with refereences but when they will only give the dates then generally they wont allow employees to give personal ones either. References are a bit over rated tho as most companies check them at the end after making an offer so a mediocre, good or fantastic one all mean the same thing. Of course the only saw this guy once at the christmas party pissing on the table and he was sick for 6 months outside of this reference will halt the hiring process. I have to admit when I ran a bar a few years ago I used to tell people to write there own reference and send it to me and I will forward it on. Much easier then having to take the phone call.
                                                                      In short your interview and experience will get you a job and only a terrrible reference will ever effect you outside this so always call someone to make sure they are good for a decent one before you hand over the details.

Comment

Batman 3 Given Title
                                                                        Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

with david norris and enda kenny in charge I can see a massive jump in emmigration all right

Comment

with david norris and enda kenny in charge I can see a massive jump in emmigration all right
                                                                            Enda Kenny wont be in charge.
                                                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

We have a drunk of a leader and a unhealthy fat mess for minister of health so why not send a homosexual president about the world.

The worlds leaders must think we are constantly taking the piss as a country.

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                                Shit name.

Batman 4 - The Dark Knight Begins to Return while Rising Forever with a Vengeance

also, spam has really gone downhill in recent times. I have an e-mail with the addressee and subject being "Leo Smith - This is not a Joke, do not delete, you have WON!"

Comment

who would have thought Bertie's yellow suit would be one of our better moments in the international press. Man glad its near home time whining way to much today

Comment

Smartphone questions if anyone has these answers

there is a new version of the HTC Desire coming out soon and I registered my interest in it with Vodafone. Today I got a mail from them saying that it is available now but as far as I can see what they have is not exactly the desire HD but a different phone called the HTC HD2
                                                                                    I googled a comparison here:

they are looking for about 200 more for the HTC HD2 over the original HTC Desire but according to the guy I spoke to in Vodafone there is going to be a Desire HD coming soon as well.

So now I'm totally confused

So the main question is is that HD2 200 quid better than the original desire?
                                                                                    also is there really a difference between the Desire HD and this HD2?
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

From a quick glance, I would say absolutely not.

Especially seeing as its not an Android phone! Its a Windows Mobile phone.

Comment

LOL @ the Weakest link

Q : What is the only US State with a 'Z' in its name

Gormless looking young lad stops and thinks for nearly 20 seconds before replying "Massachusetts"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          Smartphone questions if anyone has these answers

there is a new version of the HTC Desire coming out soon and I registered my interest in it with Vodafone. Today I got a mail from them saying that it is available now but as far as I can see what they have is not exactly the desire HD but a different phone called the HTC HD2
                                                                                          I googled a comparison here:

they are looking for about 200 more for the HTC HD2 over the original HTC Desire but according to the guy I spoke to in Vodafone there is going to be a Desire HD coming soon as well.

So now I'm totally confused

So the main question is is that HD2 200 quid better than the original desire?
                                                                                          also is there really a difference between the Desire HD and this HD2?
                                                                                          As Emmet says, the HD2 is a windows phone, not android. The Desire HD is available now from Vodafone. There are threads on it in the android forum in the other place.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                            brother had the iphone and ditched it fot the samsung
                                                                                            he says it is just streets ahead
                                                                                            anyhow i have no personal organiser anymore so i must use the calender which requires that i have a gmail address
                                                                                            Just so you know, the reason for this is it auto updates your google calender account (auto get this with your google id), This can be uber handy, but obviously would be nice if you had an opt out option.
                                                                                            Also if you update your google calender on your pc, it sends the info to your phone too.
                                                                                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Pain in the hole!
                                                                                              hmm, anyone with any electrical ability? Messing around with them for a while I've found that the left speaker only works above a certain volume level on the headset.
                                                                                              However, this is quite high, so I have to turn the input level down on the ipod/computer etc.
                                                                                              BUT, the headphones require a certain level of an input before they auto standby, and if I want to listen to a CD at a comfortable level, it will shut off every 10 mins and I'll get a huge amount of static in the headphones.

Any idea what I could do to fix this? Or what sounds broken on the headphones?

Comment

From a quick glance, I would say absolutely not.

Especially seeing as its not an Android phone! Its a Windows Mobile phone.
                                                                                                LOL

I completely missed that on the comparison site
                                                                                                Vodafone have managed not to mention Windows Mobile anywhere on their HTC HD2 page

Actually if it was cheap I'd be interested in having a look at the Windows OS but I'm fckd if I'm paying a premium for it.

So now all I need to do is to decide whether I sit back and wait for the newer Desire or just get the original one.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    LOL @ the Weakest link

Q : What is the only US State with a 'Z' in its name

Gormless looking young lad stops and thinks for nearly 20 seconds before replying "Massachusetts"
                                                                                                    The Utah Jazz imo

Comment

My girlfriends father got a windows phone and I had a little mess around on it and found it very confusing. Android is quality imo.

Comment

can anyone recommend a house cleaner in rathgar or nearby. Maybe two would be needed considering how messy this is

Appreciate any replies - houes is a kip and google isnt too helpful
                                                                                                        GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                                                                          can anyone recommend a house cleaner in rathgar or nearby. Maybe two would be needed considering how messy this is

Appreciate any replies - houes is a kip and google isnt too helpful
                                                                                                          try flipper's new site?

EDIT - hasn't launched yet, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                            Sigh at my bargaining abilities! This genius will only ship the 75 a month-meh-should have let herlelf handle this banter as dont have the stomach for it!
                                                                                                            easy going irish guy negotiating vs german girl negotiating. bit of a no contest really sam

Comment

boo to me obv

Comment

...

Comment

Sounds good Hitchhiker, how longitudinal is it going to be? Also with the influx of first generation Irish there could be scope to look at the cultural differences in saving patterns (I'd imagine this wont be of interest to you but still)

Anyway, if you need to find some primary school teachers to help you out with this I know far too many...

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                    boo to me obv
                                                                                                                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                      Myself and someone else in work are just about to submit a research proposal to the Financial Services Authority on promoting the savings habit in children. We're planning to give (through school teachers) 300 young kids £3 per week 'pocket money' for 15 weeks and give different groups of these kids different types of incentives to save, so e.g. one group might have that if they have 50% of the pocket money saved at the end of the 15 weeks they can cash it in for toys worth double the amount.
                                                                                                                      All you will teach them is that the universe will shower them with presents if they do nothing

Anyhu should we not be teaching kids that saving is bad due to inflation/rising costs?

Comment

If they can save 100% of their £3 a week for a few years, they can comfortably afford alcoholism by the time they're old enough to drink until they manage to get themselves a career job.

Serious incentive, they can outlast any recession with this kind of attitude!

Also, are you actually giving them money, or is this a theoretical experiment?
                                                                                                                        Just a thought on how to add some sort of forced savings on them, offer them the ability to buy something for cheaper down the line than it is now. For instance, if you use your £t0 to buy a bar in t0 it costs ~ £.60, but using your £t0 to buy in t5/6 may cost £.50. Not sure how you could govern or enforce that, but misleading children should be easy enough really?

Comment

Can i register to be one of the kids please.
                                                                                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X