Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no insight into the crisis. I don't expect the elites to look out for any of us anyway. And they control it. Leo doesn't care. None do really presently.

We're strong though. We will be ok.

Comment

I've gotten the golf bug. I knew this day would come... I just didn't think so soon.

As the ole body breaks down, the knees and ankles battered from years of abuse I shall slowly decline into a life of walking around a park following a wayward white ball.

This is life.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
        I've gotten the golf bug. I knew this day would come... I just didn't think so soon.

As the ole body breaks down, the knees and ankles battered from years of abuse I shall slowly decline into a life of walking around a park following a wayward white ball.

This is life.
        I have seen this with my dad ...we had to amputate his body from his head. It was the only way.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            The majority of them have no business turning up at university at all at 18. Crisis incoming I'd say.
            100 percent. Thats at least my excuse and I'm sticking to it
            airport, lol

Comment

Stand up paddle boarding surrounded by Turtles, great food and beers followed by one of the most remarkable sunsets. Good day.

Gilli Trawangan has certainly been the highlight of the trip, wish we booked longer here.

Comment

The Sinn Féin president starts proceedings over attempted escape convictions from the 1970s.

Gerry Adams has begun a legal bid to overturn two historical convictions he received for attempting to escape from prison/internment.

The news is sure interesting these days.

Comment

I would say it's a pr thing to get internment which ended nearly 50 years ago ..( and was an APPALLING abuse of human rights of course ) back in the news around this time of the summer.

Risky if it fails.

I do think that is what it is though..get people talking internment again...I think he will come to regret it ..he has a lot of skeletons.
                  Last edited by Guest; 18-07-17, 15:49.

Comment

The majority of them have no business turning up at university at all at 18. Crisis incoming I'd say.
                    I had that as one of the pros of fees. Right now a lot of people just trundle off without much thought. If people had to pay more for it (even if it was deferred until they hit a certain salary), it'd concentrate minds a bit better about why and what they're doing.

It's probably a bit much to expect everyone to handle to jump from the confines of school to college freedoms over the space of a summer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      The crisis isn't so much turning up at 18 imo, its in thinking that when you graduate at 21 that you have learned enough to get you through to 70 based on work-experience alone.
                      Not many of them graduating at 21 when more than 50% of the class fail 2 or more exams in first year!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        I had that as one of the pros of fees. Right now a lot of people just trundle off without much thought. If people had to pay more for it (even if it was deferred until they hit a certain salary), it'd concentrate minds a bit better about why and what they're doing.

It's probably a bit much to expect everyone to handle to jump from the confines of school to college freedoms over the space of a summer anyway.
                        Wasn't a problem at any time in history up until now. Personal accountability is gone out the window.

Comment

Wasn't a problem at any time in history up until now. Personal accountability is gone out the window.
                          Oh stop bein old!

Comment

Bollix stop your fascist nonsense Crane. Not everyone can afford it. We should look after EVERYONE.

Comment

Watch that John Hume Doc. It explains how education saved him. It's really enlightening.

Comment

Anyway spam over and out ..bye for now

Comment

I agree with that plus Denny about the cost, based on my own experience of messing around numerous times in college, I was able to recover and refocus extremely easily if I'm honest. Fees are low, plenty of financial help etc.
                                  I am very much against a lot of extremely specific courses which make no effort to change and evolve even though it's clear that the majority of their graduates are not remotely working in the field the course allegedly trains you for.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                    I agree, I'm getting to that age and in social circles now where I think I know more parents of soon to be college students and I feel for them when they tell me their children want to go study certain courses which are just a waste of money imo.
                                    The specificity of certain Irish university/IT courses is a bit ridiculous, I think a more generalised approach in first year at least is far more worthwhile.

1000e a month for a bedsit to study some of these courses for 4 years
                                    Actually doing a useless degree in gender studies or creative and cultural industries sets you up for a great career in writing articles whinging about the gender pay gap etc
                                    So many of those courses should be apprenticeships.
                                    The 3rd levels are great at scamming fees out of people for waste of time masters as well (not that they are all useless) ,makes fuck all difference to your prospects in most cases from what I can see.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 18-07-17, 16:05.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's amazing really. Our Dutch colleague (where the pass mark is 60%) is visibly upset when he's at board meetings discussing whether we should bump a student from 33% to 35% so they can pass by compensation. Eventually though they seem to get their shit together and we produce humans that are comparably useful to those produced by other countries.

Comment

Ah in business we just let everyone through
                                            Good to know

Comment

Ah yea my argument is 100% is based on my own experience and a sense of 'old man yells at cloud'. However we still take in the same 50 students each year that we did when I started 20 years ago and the retardation factor is much higher.
                                              20% of them failed the lab for goodness sake. All you have to is turn up, keep your spectrum disorder under control and write a 'my summer holidays' account of what you did and you'll pass.

Comment

I can safely say the job I'm doing now would be far better learned as an apprenticeship. New staff basically finish their degrees and have to start an apprenticeship after that.

For IT jobs, if you're doing support or administration, it should be an apprenticeship. If you're doing development, you should definitely get a degree. The high-level concepts involved should be taught properly.

But I'm an administrator, so 99% of my work is about correct execution of procedure. That's got apprenticeship written all over it.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                  Bollix stop your fascist nonsense Crane.
                                                  You're going to be surprised if you ever meet me in person

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                    Bring on the self drive asap!
                                                    What year will the first country ban the use of human driven cars, and which country?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      What year will the first country ban the use of human driven cars, and which country?
                                                      My guess/bet would be germany.

Year would be 2130
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

No different from those with PhDs then.
                                                          Last edited by Guest; 18-07-17, 19:36.

Comment

Same with nurses, brickies, but they've converted those apprenticeships into degrees as the reality is international employers expect a degree and it's better for the person to be able to say they have a degree. Maybe the issue is your degree wasn't well-designed. We're never returning from that. Most young people without a degree are in for a lifetime of uncertainty and probably pain.
                                                            Where do you stand on the idea that most people within a decade won't be able to find work anyway? Or you in the camp that think we can't yet the imagine the type of jobs we will see created going forward that we will somehow be able to do better than our robot overlords. Just taking into account the amount of people employed in the transport sector world wide alone will decimate the work market. How will all these displaced people make ends meet. Do you support the living wage idea?

Opr

Comment

Same with nurses, brickies, but they've converted those apprenticeships into degrees as the reality is international employers expect a degree and it's better for the person to be able to say they have a degree. Maybe the issue is your degree wasn't well-designed. We're never returning from that. Most young people without a degree are in for a lifetime of uncertainty and probably pain.
                                                              My degree (in software engineering) was incredibly well designed to produce software engineers. But for some reason employers want system administrators with degrees in software engineering. The skillsets are so different that it doesn't make sense. I'm sure some smart employers could get the jump on the competition by snapping up talent if degree weren't so cheap.

They've effectively outsourced the basic training of staff to the state. It's a strange situation. I'm sure a smart employer could grab top talent from the competition before they ever get there, by enticing students out of universities with the promise of wages and training. The risk would be big, they'd need funding from the state for it.
                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                Where do you stand on the idea that most people within a decade won't be able to find work anyway? Or you in the camp that think we can't yet the imagine the type of jobs we will see created going forward that we will somehow be able to do better than our robot overlords. Just taking into account the amount of people employed in the transport sector world wide alone will decimate the work market. How will all these displaced people make ends meet. Do you support the living wage idea?

Opr
                                                                We can all be social media influencers,tell your kids to start act like attention seeking whores and they'll have a head start.
                                                                Those in power will be quite happy to see a return to feudalism.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Opr
                                                                      Have to imagine we'll have UBI, probably paid for by corporation tax*. It's cheaper to do that than have a revolution. The other side of it is that the cost of living with be so much lower that the UBI won't even have to be significant.

* and the international tax situation will have had to have been sorted by then

Comment

Getting destroyed on twitter over a comment about those new €1k a month student digs in Dublin.
                                                                        Link? Don't have a Twitter

Comment

Comment

Comment

Think we'll move to a four-day work week, that's probably inevitable. World population starts falling soonish (?) so that should sort out a bit more. Then I've no idea, but gotta assume it'll be fun.More interesting jobs, less mundanity, vastly more multi-gig employment.
                                                                              Are you sure you are not mixing up that the rate at which world population is growing is falling but the population is still increasing I believe?

Four day week has been touted for how long? We have had a situation where productivity has increased massively yet wages haven't followed that trend for decades. Yet we are suppose to believe that suddenly we will be working four day weeks earning similar wages? Isn't it much more likely that we will see less people working and high unemployment considering that makes the most sense in the current economic system?

I do love the optimism though. The sunshine and rainbows last line is my favouite bit

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

Have to imagine we'll have UBI, probably paid for by corporation tax*. It's cheaper to do that than have a revolution. The other side of it is that the cost of living with be so much lower that the UBI won't even have to be significant.
                                                                                  In what form though. Isn't the current idea that everyone gets the UBI then after this if you can find work good luck but if not tough, a radical misstep. I believe it was the right who first put forward the idea of the UBI. When you actually start thinking about it effects it is easy to understand why. Lets say we reach a point where a huge portion of people can't find work through no fault of their own. You have big business making huge amount of profit. We give people just enough to live on. How long do you think people are going to continue in that system. Everything I have read about the UBI seems to put a bandaid over the problem to prop up the current system for another short period but hard to see how it would survive if AI, robotics etc really becomes the problem it looks like being over the next decade. I don't think PSV is too far off it calling it a return towards feudalism.

Opr

Comment

Really don't understand the fuss over Ryanair's seating policy,the only time it would ever bother me is if the plane was falling out of the sky and you wanted to hold your significant others hand/pray together. You would be pretty pissed you hadn't splurged the extra 4€ or whatever it is in that instance.Could definetly see being separated from your kids as a bonus too

Comment

Presumably they talked about moving from seven to six work weeks, and then six to five days for ages too. It's inevitable we'll move to four day weeks, and then lower. There's not some universal law that says the work week should be five days!

Isn't the population not due to peak and then start falling in about 20 years? Might have that wrong.
                                                                                      Unions got us the 8 hour day and the weekend back in the day
                                                                                      Modern day unions are gonna do nothing

Comment

In what form though. Isn't the current idea that everyone gets the UBI then after this if you can find work good luck but if not tough, a radical misstep. I believe it was the right who first put forward the idea of the UBI. When you actually start thinking about it effects it is easy to understand why. Lets say we reach a point where a huge portion of people can't find work through no fault of their own. You have big business making huge amount of profit. We give people just enough to live on. How long do you think people are going to continue in that system. Everything I have read about the UBI seems to put a bandaid over the problem to prop up the current system for another short period but hard to see how it would survive if AI, robotics etc really becomes the problem it looks like being over the next decade. I don't think PSV is too far off it calling it a return towards feudalism.

Opr
                                                                                        We've gone from a situation where nearly 100% of people were involved in food production, to where a tiny % of the population is involved in primary agriculture, and we'll go to a situation where autonomous machinery produce crops/food/deliver it to your local shop where you buy it by picking it up off the self. No humans involved.

It'll be far easier to pay everyone off than fight the uprising. People will have more than just enough to live on because living costs will be negligible.

I think about 1% of population is involved in transport, for the other 99% of the population transport costs go close to nil via cheap solar powered autonomous cars. It's gonna be great.

Rich people will waste their money on conspicuous consumption via artisan human crafted goods while everyone else will have super cheap mass produced goods.

Worst comes to worst we can all start producing gin.

Comment

This is life.
                                                                                          It's great way to spend a day drinking, (everyone drinks on the course in Canada for all you Irish playing folks).

Playing bad = time to start throwing them back

And there's some great mountain courses outside of Calgary to play, some are pretty expensive $150+ but you can get some of them for $70+ in the afternoon/early evening.

Comment

...

Comment

All *we* can do is be aware there's a very decent chance our jobs won't exist in 20 years time and be aware of related areas we can move into.

E.g. uni profs largely teach textbooks and publish mainly unimportant research in journals no-one reads. That's clearly not sustainable, especially given the cost.

We're surely looking at much more online teaching - which is vastly better for loads of undergrad and a lot of masters education. That means a lot less of the teaching part of the job.

Then the research roles will presumably only be available for those that can fund their own research. Meaning most of the ordinary stuff will be wiped out.

On the plus side there should be a big growth in consultancy and creating intellectual property development as unis professionalise.

But either way the current role just can't exist in 20 years. The issue becomes how to prepare for that.

I'd say everyone could look at their current job and imagine how it won't exist in 20 years. Or if you can't then your missing something that's going to bite you in the ass when your least prepared for it.
                                                                                              I think I might get into selling opiates,that's going to be a growth industry

Comment

Not sure Hitch. We've gone from the stuffy pontificator at the head of the room to the entirety of human knowledge accessible in an instant in the last 20 years and standards are failing.
                                                                                                I'm ditching PowerPoint and going back to chalk and a 'tough shit of your didn't take them at the lecture' system I think.

Comment

This is life.
                                                                                                  You sad fuck.

This one thing I have resisted. Hard.
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    You sad fuck.

Nothing wrong with the game itself,it's the "patrons".
                                                                                                    Golf might pull out of its current death spiral given all the extra leisure time we are all about to come into

Comment

Not sure Hitch. We've gone from the stuffy pontificator at the head of the room to the entirety of human knowledge accessible in an instant in the last 20 years and standards are failing.
                                                                                                      I'm ditching PowerPoint and going back to chalk and a 'tough shit of your didn't take them at the lecture' system I think.
                                                                                                      In 90% of my lectures (8-10 years ago) we had to take the notes or tough luck getting them from the lecturer. Luckily we had a deaf guy in the class who had a note taker who we'd hit up come exam time
                                                                                                      Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 18-07-17, 18:52.

Comment

All *we* can do is be aware there's a very decent chance our jobs won't exist in 20 years time and be aware of related areas we can move into.

E.g. uni profs largely teach textbooks and publish mainly unimportant research in journals no-one reads. That's clearly not sustainable, especially given the cost.

We're surely looking at much more online teaching - which is vastly better for loads of undergrad and a lot of masters education. That means a lot less of the teaching part of the job.

Then the research roles will presumably only be available for those that can fund their own research. Meaning most of the ordinary stuff will be wiped out.

On the plus side there should be a big growth in consultancy and creating intellectual property development as unis professionalise.

But either way the current role just can't exist in 20 years. The issue becomes how to prepare for that.

I'd say everyone could look at their current job and imagine how it won't exist in 20 years. Or if you can't then your missing something that's going to bite you in the ass when your least prepared for it.
                                                                                                        If you start selling jacks I will be highly unimpressed...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          You sad fuck.

Whatever about playing a round I find it bewildering that so many people watch it if you are punting it that's fine. But seeing Mcilroy playing shit and still getting bundles off sponsorship and his horrible face duck off.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                One of the Scandis or maybe somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong. I'd probably say 20-30 years time.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Good debate on the future of work. Personally the plan is to be in a position to fully retire in 20 more years if I need to. I'd hate to be trying to reinvent myself at that stage because I need the money. Another good reason to be saving a lot for those in their late 30s and early 40s.
                                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I personally don't think standards are falling. I think we're just not teaching right. Like not you and me alone, but 99% of how we teach in unis is just wrong.

I'll play devil's advocate for a second here and suggest that while you abandoning PowerPoint is a good move, the move back to how you were taught with chalk is absolutely bound to end in failure.

It's about taking a lot more of the mundane stuff out of the classroom into short clear videos with inbuilt exercises that students can look at when they want and rewind when they don't get something. Loads of in-term assessment to check online learning. Then have shorter classes that are about discussing the interesting aspects of each week.

Then fck'em if they fail.
                                                                                                                    You know what, sometimes learning IS just fucking mundane. In physics if you're not regularly tearing your hair out wondering who the fuck came up with this nonsense and how do I get it into my stupid head, then you're doing it wrong.
                                                                                                                    Maxwell's equations, quantum mechanics etc are mental concepts and no Khan Academy video or clever applet if going to give you the magic touch to understand them. Crumpled up pages and attempting dozens of problems is.
                                                                                                                    What is a waste of time is me just making my own notes based on the book and saying sentences from the book at the top of the room. What isn't a waste of time is me going through questions line by line and constantly polling their understanding of wtf I'm talking about (not easy in a class of 250).
                                                                                                                    Anyway this probably only applies to science but that's my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                                                      Bollix stop your fascist nonsense Crane. Not everyone can afford it. We should look after EVERYONE.
                                                                                                                      He said it could only be repayable once a certain salary was achieved - is that inclusive enough for you?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Really don't understand the fuss over Ryanair's seating policy,the only time it would ever bother me is if the plane was falling out of the sky and you wanted to hold your significant others hand/pray together. You would be pretty pissed you hadn't splurged the extra 4€ or whatever it is in that instance.Could definetly see being separated from your kids as a bonus too
                                                                                                                        Couldn't give a shite who I sit beside but there's nothing worse than the middle seat.

Comment

Getting destroyed on twitter over a comment about those new €1k a month student digs in Dublin.
                                                                                                                          You're defending it valiantly - keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X