Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    Tar, what's the age profile of the boardgame meetups like? I love a good boardgame but wouldn't fit in with a bunch of early 20-somethings. Don't suppose you have a link to more information about the group?
    Ages goes from late teens to forties generally, majority would be mid twenties to thirties.

can spy on the members and meetups there, usually around 30-60 would turn up on a night, on twice a week, one of the days has a second location running also.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
      I understand if I need to be banned. Of course you need to be loyal to him.
      Or if you see me as a troublemaker. Or too ...pc or whatever. Or if you feel I am being nasty.

I didn't say it to be nasty. So I am very sorry.

And Sorry for the Drama Keane. I'll stop.

Lol you guys always beat me.
      In today's culture, 'racist' is one of the very worst labels you can stick on a person. So if you're going to do so, at least have the balls to back it up.

I suspect you're just engaging in virtue signalling i.e. by labelling people in this way, you're attempting to draw attention to your own impeccable credentials. Which is tiresome, to say the least.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        In today's culture, 'racist' is one of the very worst labels you can stick on a person. So if you're going to do so, at least have the balls to back it up.

I suspect you're just engaging in virtue signalling i.e. by labelling people in this way, you're attempting to draw attention to your own impeccable credentials. Which is tiresome, to say the least.
        Give her a break. Yer man is a bit of a cunt, we have called people a lot worse things on this forum before. Racist probably a bad word to use alright but not the end of the world.

Poor Donald and Gerry get an awful time off Strewel for example.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
          Give her a break. Yer man is a bit of a cunt, we have called people a lot worse things on this forum before. Racist probably a bad word to use alright but not the end of the world.

Poor Donald and Gerry get an awful time off Strewel for example.
          We do understand the difference between public figures and private ones, right?

That your right to privacy isn't the same as Donald Trump's?

I disagree on the seriousness too. It's like a smell that will follow a person around for ever. It is a big deal in my view.

Comment

Here, we're talking about O'Shea. If someone has a problem big enough that they go blurting it out at 5am on the poker boards they would probably be better off asking him about it directly rather than trying to drag the whole place into it.

It's not like he'd be hard to reach like.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              We do understand the difference between public figures and private ones, right?

That your right to privacy isn't the same as Donald Trump's?

I disagree on the seriousness too. It's like a smell that will follow a person around for ever. It is a big deal in my view.
              The bit about Trump was tongue in cheek obvs!

You're right though maybe I just have a different view because I don't particularly like the chap.

Agree with Keane also.

Comment

Switch on your PMs there mdoug.
                Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 20-04-17, 13:45.

Comment

did anyone else skim the article and misread their concerns over a "string of disputed bets" to be disputes over string betting.

I was thinking that this was a serious escalation in pettiness until I copped it a few seconds later.

Comment

What's with all the Bray hate lads?

Don't make me come at you........

Comment

So we can freeroll international index betting sites? Dagunman is a national hero.

Comment

Good to see Peaceandfires true colours showing.

A troubling obsession with John O' Shea, why follow him if you find his tweets distasteful

Katie Taylor comments spot on too.
                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                          Good to see Peaceandfires true colours showing.

A troubling obsession with John O' Shea, why follow him if you find his tweets distasteful

Katie Taylor comments spot on too.
                          Piss bad obsession if she can't even spell his name. Not that I care but wasn't the bbv lambasting mickey the lip last week.

Comment

Havent had one touch wood, but the first margin call I get from IG index will be telling em to GTFO
                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Can someone explain how you can owe a sports betting company or any gambling facility over 100k without them lending you credit?

Did they pay out in error or something and then the money was quickly withdrawn?

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                  Can someone explain how you can owe a sports betting company or any gambling facility over 100k without them lending you credit?

Did they pay out in error or something and then the money was quickly withdrawn?
                                  Spread betting losses.
                                  So I buy Saracens over Munster at €1000 a point, expecting only a few points in it either way anyway.
                                  Extreme result happens and Munster win by 60, I owe them 60K.
                                  I think.

Comment

Lol dingle whiskey absolutely taking the piss with their pricing.jameson too with all the NAS bullshit,airports full of that crap

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                      Spread betting losses.
                                      So I buy Saracens over Munster at €1000 a point, expecting only a few points in it either way anyway.
                                      Extreme result happens and Munster win by 60, I owe them 60K.
                                      I think.
                                      I wouldn't have thought that they would leave them selves open like that, seems rather stupid from them. That's just open to tons of abuse

Comment

O shea's clearly a national hero if he stiffed some Brit bookies out of a wedge

(Disclaimer:don't know him)
                                        Ps someone please inform him of recent posts on this thread,we all need some popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                          I wouldn't have thought that they would leave them selves open like that, seems rather stupid from them. That's just open to tons of abuse
                                          You'd probably have to have 20K in your account before such a bet could be put on, which would cover a 'normal' bad result. If it goes beyond that and you don't pay they have no problem looking for a judgement against you, taking your assets etc.

They are licensed separately in the UK, by the FSA so its like buying shares and doing short selling or whatever. Big boys game as opposed to doing bets in a fixed odds shop.

Comment

Where can one watch a game of hurling this weekend in the Dublin area? Even if it's some shitty local teams
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I see they hit their £6m guarantee in Nottingham. Also how come I never get lads to rip in 100+ bbs against me like this....

"Paul Carr was very happy to find himself in the very same seat and table on Day 2 as well, and the Irishman had been running incredibly well there last night.

It just got even better, as a raising war broke out between Ngoc Nguyen and Carr on the button. Nguyen raised to 50,000, Carr three-bet to 140,000 and Nguyen clicked it up to 425,000. Carr squeezed to 1,040,000 and Nguyen ripped it in for around 2.5m to pick up a snap-call.

Ngoc Nguyen: JJ
                                              Paul Carr: AA

The AJ2 flop gave both players a set, and the miracle one outer would not show up as the K turn and 4 river completed the board. Carr up to 9m"

Comment

I see there's a lot of noise in the press about Coveney's help to buy scheme being a massive disaster for people trying to buy.

This is not particularly unexpected obviously. I always think Coveney seems like a nice enough guy and think I wearily tried to give this the benefit of the doubt at the time.

Would people think that this is a bumbling error?

Seems to me really like another cynical and calculated effort to help out the Celtic Tiger generation at the expense of fucking over young people again.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                  Where can one watch a game of hurling this weekend in the Dublin area? Even if it's some shitty local teams
                                                  Keane, know of anything? Have some tourists here dying for a game and I can't see jack
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                    Keane, know of anything? Have some tourists here dying for a game and I can't see jack
                                                    Let me have a look. The Dublin GAA site was dreadful for viewing fixtures last time I was on it.

Any part of town suit particularly?

EDIT:

No hurling this weekend apparently Doug, sorry. Football Championship starting up.
                                                    Last edited by Keane; 20-04-17, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                      Do you not have to pay US taxes on your Irish income as a US citizen?
                                                      Not that I'm aware of anyway. Is that really a thing?

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      Well if America's so great why don't you move there then?
                                                      I'm waiting for America to be great again obvs.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        I see there's a lot of noise in the press about Coveney's help to buy scheme being a massive disaster for people trying to buy.

This is not particularly unexpected obviously. I always think Coveney seems like a nice enough guy and think I wearily tried to give this the benefit of the doubt at the time.

Seems to me really like another cynical and calculated effort to help out the Celtic Tiger generation at the expense of fucking over young people again.
                                                        It was always a subsidy for the construction industry. Theoretically it should cause prices to shoot up quickly initially, then plateau. Hard to tell since the market is gone mad, but I doubt that plateau will ever appear. Regardless, the prior situation, where the only people who could afford houses were cash buyers, had to go.

p.s. We're back.
                                                        Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 20-04-17, 16:38.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

8/10, best bbv read in a while.
                                                          Glolm at Braycist.
                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Also the effect of the subsidy is massively overblown. It only applies to new builds, there are fuck all new builds, and most first time buyers aren't buying new builds.
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

A very minor effect in reality. More of a signal that coupled with the easing of lending criteria by the CBI has brought buyers out of the woodwork which combined with a shortage of property stock for sale had lead to a decent price rise. No reason to believe it will be a sustained double digit inflation though as a lot of things are acting as a brake on rampant house price inflation. High income taxes, second time buyer deposit requirements are two big ones.

Fundamentally it's pretty expensive to build a modern compliant house and salaries are going higher so that's a factor too. House prices 3 years ago were well below the rebuild cost. Now to build new highly energy efficient houses with less tradespeople in the country is relatively expensive. A bubble implies things are above their fundamental price. I don't think we're close to that except in discrete areas of Dublin.

The rebuild cost of my house in kildare values the site at 25k. Pretty low considering land with no planning or services in the area are going for 50k+ so I'd argue I paid 30-50k below the site plus build cost.

Having said that cheaper houses are more overvalued on a relative basis.
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                  A very minor effect in reality. More of a signal that coupled with the easing of lending criteria by the CBI has brought buyers out of the woodwork which combined with a shortage of property stock for sale had lead to a decent price rise. No reason to believe it will be a sustained double digit inflation though as a lot of things are acting as a brake on rampant house price inflation. High income taxes, second time buyer deposit requirements are two big ones.

Fundamentally it's pretty expensive to build a modern compliant house and salaries are going higher so that's a factor too. House prices 3 years ago were well below the rebuild cost. Now to build new highly energy efficient houses with less tradespeople in the country is relatively expensive. A bubble implies things are above their fundamental price. I don't think we're close to that except in discrete areas of Dublin.

The rebuild cost of my house in kildare values the site at 25k. Pretty low considering land with no planning or services in the area are going for 50k+ so I'd argue I paid 30-50k below the site plus build cost.

Having said that cheaper houses are more overvalued on a relative basis.
                                                                  Where in Kildare are you? Im home in a month... pint?
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                    I see they hit their £6m guarantee in Nottingham. Also how come I never get lads to rip in 100+ bbs against me like this....

"Paul Carr was very happy to find himself in the very same seat and table on Day 2 as well, and the Irishman had been running incredibly well there last night.

It just got even better, as a raising war broke out between Ngoc Nguyen and Carr on the button. Nguyen raised to 50,000, Carr three-bet to 140,000 and Nguyen clicked it up to 425,000. Carr squeezed to 1,040,000 and Nguyen ripped it in for around 2.5m to pick up a snap-call.

Ngoc Nguyen: JJ
                                                                    Paul Carr: AA

The AJ2 flop gave both players a set, and the miracle one outer would not show up as the K turn and 4 river completed the board. Carr up to 9m"
                                                                    That hand history is so tilting. First of all, who is in the button, both of them? Nobody clicked it up, that means a min raise, and a squeeze is a technical term not just a raise. Is it too much to ask for bloggers to understand the words they are using? From experience I would imagine the amounts are all wrong as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                      That hand history is so tilting. First of all, who is in the button, both of them? Nobody clicked it up, that means a min raise, and a squeeze is a technical term not just a raise. Is it too much to ask for bloggers to understand the words they are using? From experience I would imagine the amounts are all wrong as well.
                                                                      TBF they are probably paid in magic beans.

Comment

IF this is real, boom times are definitely back!

Hoping to start property development in a few weeks. Hope to purchase land/property and develope in South county dublin initially.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                          Where in Kildare are you? Im home in a month... pint?
                                                                          South of Kilcock near Donadea forest. I'd love to catch up when you're back.
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Economics first day first class student would know this was always going to end in disaster.

Comment

Didn't a number of developments instantly go up 20k the day it came in?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    But what about after they've had a few more classes and actually know something?

The overall 11% rise in house prices would only very minorily have been affected by new build firat-time buyer homes being a bit easier to buy (probably no overall effect). Plus there's now bigger incentives for developers to build first time buyer houses, as opposed to e.g. office blocks, hotels, second owner bigger homes.
                                                                                    Restriction on building up is the factor affecting the free market operating properly. Also if the restriction on building up wasnt to be removed then cutting the developers costs (VAT reduction etc.) would be a far better alternative then allowing medium term price gouging on already completed houses.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                      South of Kilcock near Donadea forest. I'd love to catch up when you're back.
                                                                                      Definitely. I'll give you a shout closer to the date.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                      Applied for a job a bit above what I'm currently doing in the off chance they would respond given the closeness in functions yet the scope being different. i.e. I'm in an operational improvement role now for a SaaS company yet the job was for product owner in an app development company.

Applied online - and got a reply about two days later asking me to do a case study. Its at this point I realised I was a little out of my depth yet persevered and answered honestly. Case study involved developing an app for a BeerFestival. I was product owner/project manager.

Got an interview request today - should be good banter if nothing else.

They gave me 48 hours to do the case study last week which was a little annoying and have requested some time over the "next couple days" for the interview. Swift GTFO as a) fuck you and b)Im in Arizona.

One time for the job though. It'd be pretty awesome given the scope of the work the company does.
                                                                                      Update on this for anyone interested. Strange oul goings on.

So the interview was scheduled (Video call) yet I never received the invite. I emailed and called the HR Person, lets call her "Mary" 4 times in the days before the interview confirming my details, my email, my hangout settings were correct etc and she never responded.

Day of interview comes and still no invite, I call again... no answer. Well! Thats me then.

Cue 10 mins after proposed start time she called me in a panic saying the interviewer is waiting on me and why didn't I show...

I tell her that I'd taken another meeting because nothing was confirmed and that she will need to reschedule now. Told her about the 4 emails and that I didn't get a response.
                                                                                      She called me back shortly with a new time, the next day at 10am. I agree.

Met the interviewer the next day, and it went very very well. She was good banter and we got on excellently. Signed off with her telling me Mary will be in touch to organise the next stage, an interview with the Director of Projects. K sweet.

No email.
                                                                                      I follow up two days later.
                                                                                      Response comes with request for me to give some times over next 5 days Im available.
                                                                                      I reply immediately.
                                                                                      No response.
                                                                                      I follow up (under cover that my availability had changed).
                                                                                      Comes back with "I sent an email to the interviewer for Thurs at 11am MST. - I'll let you know when she confirms"
                                                                                      I say "No worries, let me know"
                                                                                      No follow up from her as of yesterday at 11am, I send a mail asking about it.
                                                                                      No response.
                                                                                      Interview day 8am. I follow up - "Is this still on?"
                                                                                      Interview day 9:10am "Hi, yes she agreed, still on, sorry for not getting back to you sooner"
                                                                                      LOL

I log into video call at 10:55 to test my connection. Nothing.
                                                                                      Wait til 11:10am. Nothing.
                                                                                      11:15 am I call and leave a voicemail saying "Am in video call, no sign of interviewer, gonna give it 5min more and log out, let me know about the reschedule"

Its gas. I would be somewhat skeptical if a) I didn't get on so well with the technical interviewer the first time. and b) if they weren't a pretty reputable company.

The worst part is, there is another stage of interviews (with someone from the leadership team) after this interview... if it ever happens. I don't want to go through all this again

Mad Ted.

I do want the job though... or at least the leverage.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

If there's all these restrictions then how come we were consistently building 70-80k homes a year for a decent number of years?

Personally I prefer the idea of giving the money to buyers, as opposed to developers. Even though it all ends up with the developers in the end. But it gives the choice on the buyer side this way.

It'll be a few more years before all this can be sorted out on supply side. We had essentially zero home building for about a decade. It's obv not the case that we can suddenly get back on track after ten years of nothing. Not least because most skilled labour moved abroad, and loads of the main developers shut down.
                                                                                            Dublin is a vast urban sprawl!! Often cited as one of the worst cases of it in Europe.

How does it give the buyer any difference in choice? It just jacks up the amount they will be paying for the rest of their working lives and also enhances the risks of negative equity.

Comment

Their Calgary office is on my walk home...

I might pay a visit "WTF guys".

Comment

Top drawer.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

@hitch

Azure Machine Learning studio is pretty cool.
                                                                                                  Build machine learning models in a simplified way with machine learning platforms from Azure. Machine learning as a service increases accessibility and efficiency.

Get some free Azure Credit here and have a root around. Your UNI might already have credit under Microsoft Campus agreement.
                                                                                                  Everything you need to build and deploy your app on any platform including tools, services, training, and more. Join our free developer program.

@ people paranoid about security
                                                                                                  Don't browse or use YouTube and stuff while logged in. Use private tabs and free VPNs.

Take the time out the change privacy settings on Windows, Facebook, YouTube etc.
                                                                                                  Like these guys on Windows for example:

Delete your google activity from time to time.
                                                                                                  Take back control of all the personal data Google stores about you with our easy-to-follow security tips

Nonrepudiation is tough. I wasn't driving the phone M'lud.
                                                                                                  Don't be lazy. Stop being paranoid and enjoy the wonderful world of the inter webs.

The guards don't need any evidence to accuse you of being a child molesting porn baron in any case so don't be worrying. Now gpo out there with your bog band and online friends and create an Arab Spring right here in Eire.

@Peace and Fire
                                                                                                  Please stop. Please.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'd stop a fucking train at the minute. Everything I back is second. Backed and to beat taylor in the darts. Goes 4 0 up and taylor wins the next 6. Fml.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                        How does it give the buyer any difference in choice? It just jacks up the amount they will be paying for the rest of their working lives and also enhances the risks of negative equity.
                                                                                                        The theory is that the choice comes from having builders build new houses that were not getting built otherwise because of the gap between the cost of building and the buying power of first time buyers.
                                                                                                        It appears to be working and have been a shrewd way of at least partially addressing a difficult problem.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                          I'd stop a fucking train at the minute. Everything I back is second. Backed and to beat taylor in the darts. Goes 4 0 up and taylor wins the next 6. Fml.
                                                                                                          Next 7

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            Next 7
                                                                                                            Lol. I stopped watching after 6 cos my goose was cooked

Comment

I heard Simon Harris on the radio this evening talking about the Sisters of Charity / NMH furore and he came over as astonishingly competent. He seemed to me to have managed to diffuse the hysteria while showing that he understands the genuine concerns people have.

Comment

...

Comment

He is very competent, and this obv wasn't his idea. But to give a flavour of some of power of the director board - they stopped John Crown doing medical experimental tests in Vincent's because it involved contraception. He had to get permission from Tallaght instead. Crown (aside from his populist senator role) is a hugely respected cancer surgeon internationally, and he couldn't even do his job. It's just hard to fathom why religious people who argue against best medical practice should be allowed run hospitals. Don't think that's hysteria.
                                                                                                                  His line is that this will not be Vincents, the board will constituted by him under the Holles St ethos guaranteeing clinical and corporate control by the board.
                                                                                                                  Any change will have to be agreed both by a unanimous decision of the board and a by the Minister of health who will hold a veto.
                                                                                                                  Its a tough choice but the Penguins own the site but they lost the governance and will have no say over any clinical or operational matters. We get to use the ideal site without having to pay the cost of the site from the current budget.
                                                                                                                  In an ideal world they would be told to GTFO but as we all know it just aint no ideal world.

Comment

...

Comment

Having seen the horrific state of Holles I do agree with you on the need to get it done, and that is the important thing. Just wish that crowd would feck off back to monasteries and we could break the very unhealthy link.
                                                                                                                      He was leveraging the anger over this as an argument for finding a way of taking back the schools without having to hand over oodles of cash.

Comment

Was a little worried that zuutroy might have passed away from the chicken pox. There he is posting away on snooker
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Having seen the horrific state of Holles I do agree with you on the need to get it done, and that is the important thing. Just wish that crowd would feck off back to monasteries and we could break the very unhealthy link.
                                                                                                                          Monasteries = places where monsters live.

Nunneries. As in 'get thee to...'.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X