Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which season 3 should I start first - Fargo, Saul or the leftovers?

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
      I'm watching all three and they are all delivering but Fargo for me.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
        Saul
        Profit before people.

Comment

Guy requests a bet from Paddy Power on John Terry to be subbed off on 26 mins today (his number and its his last game). Ball is kicked out in 26th min but takes Terry until 28th to get off the pitch. Unlucky boss.

PP gave him 100/1

Comment

God this always happens to me. Even worse when you're driving with all the windows down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Guy requests a bet from Paddy Power on John Terry to be subbed off on 26 mins today (his number and its his last game). Ball is kicked out in 26th min but takes Terry until 28th to get off the pitch. Unlucky boss.

PP gave him 100/1
              Hard Luck Denis Wise

Comment

Dom with some real talk
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  Dom with some real talk
                  jaysus forgot about you! where have you been?

very quiet these days !
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                    jaysus forgot about you! where have you been?

very quiet these days !
                    I have no ability to access here during the work day unfortunately, which is a long part of the day. I drop in every week or so and read through this thread and it's still great - particularly when you're consuming large volumes of it at a time.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I have no ability to access here during the work day unfortunately, which is a long part of the day. I drop in every week or so and read through this thread and it's still great - particularly when you're consuming large volumes of it at a time.
                      you happy enough with my lack of posting these days

ah the memories , was good craic
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

Have you moved on from the place beside me or are they keeping locked inside?
                        If you are looking you should pop me your CV I know of a couple of places with some places to fill in your sort of area.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          If you are looking you should pop me your CV I know of a couple of places with some places to fill in your sort of area.
                          Referral whore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Opened the door to the apartment block and a fly flew in. As I was coming up in the lift it struck me that this is a MASSIVE life event for that fly. Probably first time indoors, will probably spend the rest of his life indoors, will probably crash into a whole lot of windows having never really encountered a window before. Just like that his whole world has utterly changed.
                            Had similar thoughts a few months ago, got on a plane home from Tenerife and there was a fly in the cabin. Poor fecker was going to end up damp and wet in Ireland and probably not a word of english.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                Referral whore.
                                Good people are hard to find

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                  Had similar thoughts a few months ago, got on a plane home from Tenerife and there was a fly in the cabin. Poor fecker was going to end up damp and wet in Ireland and probably not a word of english.
                                  Good enough for the lazy bastard.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Lloyds back. Someone is going to die.

Comment

Still there, but a couple of rungs up the greasy pole. That's a very kind offer.

Comment

Ooooft. Had the displeasure of partially reading a thread about bitcoin and a thread about mental health on boards. Never again.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Meh. Seems a ridiculous over the top reaction from some random (Irish?) lad living in Russia. It's satire, doesn't need to be literal.
                                          It's true, that building is St Basil's Cathedral, not the Kremlin itself. But that building is perhaps the most iconic building on red square. Presenting it as if it's completely unrelated is bizarre.
                                          The author has ignored, or embarrassingly missed, that the red bricked lower stories of the Time cover are a reference to the Kremlin walls themselves. As St Basil's isn't bricked at lower stories.

Fun Fact: Architecturally, The White House was based on Leinster House.
                                          Last edited by Mellor; 22-05-17, 06:29.

Comment

Didn't want that hotel job I accepted in Celbridge, just viewed it as a start to get me up that side of the country. Wanted a job with a landscape gardener, I want the hours more than the job tbf, 8-5 Mon-Fri. Got an email this morning. I start with him on Thursday.

Two interviews, two jobs. Boom is back

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                              and an occasional Saturday morning nixer!
                                              #ratondobby

Comment

Had an inkling to play some online pokas over the weekend, haven't played with much interest in awhile , won a freeroll sat ticket into the Party $1M and also Powerfest sat into the $100k two day (900k)
                                                Went out within 15mins of the $1M and 5hrs later in the $100k for $67.
                                                It's still Lol donkaments!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  and an occasional Saturday morning nixer!
                                                  About 4/5 a year apparently

Comment

Just got a 1.5 page letter in an exam script about how it's mean to make them remember equations, and it makes their learning suffer. Young people, eh.

Comment

Wife planning holiday but worried about 2 dogs being left behind, one of which is 12 yrs old and frail. I suggested she go on holidays with kids and I would stay behind and mind dogs. It would mean she wouldn't spend whole holiday worried if dogs OK. It would leave me opportunity to fish every day and maybe play online poker again every night. Conflicted whether I am being considerate or selfish

Comment

question for movie people. Which director has had the best 5 movies in a row?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                          Rocco Siffredi

Comment

"Best" is subjective but as a guess I would say it would come from a list of Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson, Hitchcock, Leone, Scorsese, Coppola, Stone, Coen Bros. Probably loads I can't think of right now though.

Comment

Kubrick
                                                              Coens
                                                              Billy Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                Wife planning holiday but worried about 2 dogs being left behind, one of which is 12 yrs old and frail. I suggested she go on holidays with kids and I would stay behind and mind dogs. It would mean she wouldn't spend whole holiday worried if dogs OK. It would leave me opportunity to fish every day and maybe play online poker again every night. Conflicted whether I am being considerate or selfish
                                                                Is a boarding kennel not an option??
                                                                Try a trial weekend first before you go to see do they settle before heading off for longer.

Comment

Kubrick i reckon:

6 crackers in a row:

Dr Strangelove
                                                                  A clockwork Orange
                                                                  Barry Lyndon
                                                                  The Shining
                                                                  Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    Just got a 1.5 page letter in an exam script about how it's mean to make them remember equations, and it makes their learning suffer. Young people, eh.
                                                                    While it's useful to know some forumlae it was always something i thought was stupid too.

The standard is WAY higher in some other countries and a lot of it is the rote learning we have here, not focusing on understanding as much. Happened to my GF and my brother when they went abroad for three masters and a phd, both went to NL and then brother went to the UK. They consider Ireland Kinder garden mode.

Same in my degree and masters tbh, looking at some US ones and it's a totally different ball game. Hell people game the system and just learn off answers in Ireland.

Comment

All hail Shane Ross, the first transport minister to ever break a transport union.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...0-bus-eireann/
                                                                      NBRU gave an unconditional surrender as well today.

Comment

The BBC has apologised after one of its local radio stations ran an entertainment game feature based on the Moors murderer Ian Brady to the disbelief of listeners.
                                                                        On Sunday BBC Radio Leeds’s Nathan Turvey asked listeners to try to guess the identity of a “well-known person who has been in the news this week” from a series of musical clues.
                                                                        They included All the Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople, the theme tune to the Brady Bunch, Suffer Little Children by the Smiths and Psycho Killer by Talking Heads.

Host asked listeners to try to guess killer’s identity from musical clues including Psycho Killer and Suffer Little Children

You'd wonder at the thought process which leads to enough people thinking 'yeah, this is a good idea'.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                          While it's useful to know some forumlae it was always something i thought was stupid too.

The standard is WAY higher in some other countries and a lot of it is the rote learning we have here, not focusing on understanding as much. Happened to my GF and my brother when they went abroad for three masters and a phd, both went to NL and then brother went to the UK. They consider Ireland Kinder garden mode.

Same in my degree and masters tbh, looking at some US ones and it's a totally different ball game. Hell people game the system and just learn off answers in Ireland.
                                                                          The problem being that conceptual understanding leads directly to all of the equations that he/she is bemoaning having to remember so they can gtfo.

Dutch guy just started here and is amazed at the low standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                            The BBC has apologised after one of its local radio stations ran an entertainment game feature based on the Moors murderer Ian Brady to the disbelief of listeners.
                                                                            On Sunday BBC Radio Leeds’s Nathan Turvey asked listeners to try to guess the identity of a “well-known person who has been in the news this week” from a series of musical clues.
                                                                            They included All the Young Dudes by Mott The Hoople, the theme tune to the Brady Bunch, Suffer Little Children by the Smiths and Psycho Killer by Talking Heads.

Host asked listeners to try to guess killer’s identity from musical clues including Psycho Killer and Suffer Little Children

You'd wonder at the thought process which leads to enough people thinking 'yeah, this is a good idea'.
                                                                            decent song list though in fairness
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              The problem being that conceptual understanding leads directly to all of the equations that he/she is bemoaning having to remember so they can gtfo.

Dutch guy just started here and is amazed at the low standard.
                                                                              Yeah that's what should happen all right, it's a lot easier to know/use them when you understand it like that. For most people here it's just pages of random stuff!

Haha I bet he is, students over there in UVA and Leiden seemed to just have a grasp of everything they were taught instantly as they had such a good grasp on the concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                Just to ease the conflict in your soul - selfish but done so well as to look considerate so you get brownie points. Bravo

Comment

...
                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                    Just to ease the conflict in your soul - selfish but done so well as to look considerate so you get brownie points. Bravo
                                                                                    Just messing with you, it was clearly considerate when you suggested it but turns out that you will end up with the best holiday you could want judging from your posts here

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                                                      "Best" is subjective but as a guess I would say it would come from a list of Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson, Hitchcock, Leone, Scorsese, Coppola, Stone, Coen Bros. Probably loads I can't think of right now though.
                                                                                      Those were some of the lads that sprung to mind. But when you look at the filmographies, there's always a bogey or two in the middle of the great films you remember.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter
                                                                                      Kubrick
                                                                                      Coens
                                                                                      Billy Wilder
                                                                                      Kubrick is a good shout.
                                                                                      I know you rate the Coens highly but which 5 are you talking about. They were one filmography that I pulled up. A few films among their greats that I was unsure of.

Comment

Not sure if he managed 5 in a row but early Ridley Scott must have got close

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                                          Is a boarding kennel not an option??
                                                                                          Try a trial weekend first before you go to see do they settle before heading off for longer.
                                                                                          Did that once and wife fretted whole time despite being a well maintained /run kennel with daily walks etc. Our dogs are spolit house dogs with downstair and upstair beds! We had been leaving them with relation but she has dogs herself now and cant accomodate. One consideration is leaving them in house and having them 'visited, fed and walked' but with one of them old and not fit to climb stairs (gets carried to bed) the worry is that she may suddenly get unwell or even die. If that happened when we were away and not with a family member wife and kids would be distraught.
                                                                                          Problem with me staying at home is wife would be very dependant on me abroad and is a very nervous flier and also suffers panic attacks.
                                                                                          No idea how we gonna work it out

Comment

Isn't he kinda famous for making as many awful films as he has good ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                              Those were some of the lads that sprung to mind. But when you look at the filmographies, there's always a bogey or two in the middle of the great films you remember.

Kubrick is a good shout.
                                                                                              I know you rate the Coens highly but which 5 are you talking about. They were one filmography that I pulled up. A few films among their greats that I was unsure of.

looking at the list Intolerable cruelty is the closest they have come to a dud but its not at all its just a bit too mainstream rom com for some tastes.
                                                                                              LadyKillers gets a lot of stick but thats just for Hanks false teeth and too many IBS jokes, Hanks is actually good in it.

If I was forced to choose one single sequence of five it would be... I can't do it Take any five you like from Blood Simple through to the man who wasn't there and you could make just as strong a case from No Country to Inside Llewyn Davis

2016 Hail, Caesar!
                                                                                              2013 Inside Llewyn Davis
                                                                                              2010 True Grit
                                                                                              2009 A Serious Man
                                                                                              2008 Burn After Reading
                                                                                              2007 No Country for Old Men
                                                                                              2004 The Ladykillers
                                                                                              2003 Intolerable Cruelty
                                                                                              2001 The Man Who Wasn't There
                                                                                              2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou?
                                                                                              1998 The Big Lebowski
                                                                                              1996 Fargo
                                                                                              1994 The Hudsucker Proxy
                                                                                              1991 Barton Fink
                                                                                              1990 Miller's Crossing
                                                                                              1987 Raising Arizona
                                                                                              1984 Blood Simple.

Comment

looking at the list Intolerable cruelty is the closest they have come to a dud but its not at all its just a bit too mainstream rom com for some tastes.
                                                                                                LadyKillers gets a lot of stick but thats just for Hanks false teeth and too many IBS jokes, Hanks is actually good in it.

If I was forced to choose one single sequence of five it would be... I can't do it Take any five you like from Blood Simple through to the man who wasn't there and you could make just as strong a case from No Country to Inside Llewyn Davis
                                                                                                By issue is that I haven't seen a lot of them tbh. My logic was;

No Country for Old Men is great. And were the following 3. But I wasn't sure what Inside Llewyn Davis was like or was received even. I wasn't a fan of Hail Caesar tbh. Felt it was pandering to hollywood, film critics.

Going back, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and O Brother stood out as a trio. But didn't know if the adjacent films were up to scratch. I knew Barton Fink was supposed to be good, but had no idea of Hudsucker.
                                                                                                FWIW, the director was Joel only for the earlier films.

I still think Kubrick is the best shout.

1999 Eyes Wide Shut
                                                                                                1987 Full Metal Jacket
                                                                                                1980 The Shining
                                                                                                1975 Barry Lyndon
                                                                                                1971 A Clockwork Orange
                                                                                                1968 2001: A Space Odyssey
                                                                                                1964 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
                                                                                                1962 Lolita
                                                                                                1960 Spartacus

Comment

Honourable nod towards Eric Bress.

Comment

the director was Joel only for the earlier films.
                                                                                                    That was just a matter of the credits, they were both down as writers and one was producer to the others director but the roles have always been completely interchangeable.

1999 Eyes Wide Shut
                                                                                                    1987 Full Metal Jacket
                                                                                                    1980 The Shining
                                                                                                    1975 Barry Lyndon
                                                                                                    1971 A Clockwork Orange
                                                                                                    1962 Lolita
                                                                                                    1960 Spartacus
                                                                                                    You cant be leaving out Paths to Glory and the Killing imo
                                                                                                    FMJ wouldn't fit in his top either
                                                                                                    I'd make the five from Paths of Glory to 2001 but Barry Lyndon is still my favourite to re watch.

Comment

Wes Anderson has to be in contention.

But for me probably

Raging Bull
                                                                                                      The king of Comedy
                                                                                                      After Hours
                                                                                                      The Colour of money
                                                                                                      The last temptation of Christ.
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Denny I need a bit more relief from the echo chamber, help me see how this could be acceptable on any level

This is some achievement - the single most gobsmacking, jawdropping minute of ignorance I've heard from anyone in the whole administration yet, thats including the moronic little bully boy himself.

Not a single guy with a bad placard

What fucking planet is this cretin living on?
                                                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 22-05-17, 15:43.

Comment

By issue is that I haven't seen a lot of them tbh. My logic was;

No Country for Old Men is great. And were the following 3. But I wasn't sure what Inside Llewyn Davis was like or was received even. I wasn't a fan of Hail Caesar tbh. Felt it was pandering to hollywood, film critics.

Going back, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and O Brother stood out as a trio. But didn't know if the adjacent films were up to scratch. I knew Barton Fink was supposed to be good, but had no idea of Hudsucker.
                                                                                                          FWIW, the director was Joel only for the earlier films.

1999 Eyes Wide Shut
                                                                                                          1987 Full Metal Jacket
                                                                                                          1980 The Shining
                                                                                                          1975 Barry Lyndon
                                                                                                          1971 A Clockwork Orange
                                                                                                          1962 Lolita
                                                                                                          1960 Spartacus
                                                                                                          Don't think that was actually the case, guild rules meant Joel took credit until they became an established duo.

Wiki seems to suggest the answer is John Ford. Was winner in different best categories from best director to best documentaries for multiple years in the 40s.

For me gotta be James Cameron, had the guy ever made a bad film?
                                                                                                          Last edited by pokerhand; 22-05-17, 15:54.
                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                            Not sure if he managed 5 in a row but early Ridley Scott must have got close
                                                                                                            This started after we saw alien covenant last night and they were saying that Ridley scott would be up there. I don't think he has a stretch of 5 top class ones in him though. I suggested fincher was better with seven, the game, fight club, panic room and zodiac.

This got me thinking about a stretch of 5 films after remembering an article talking about Eddie Murphy's best 5 years ever (82-87) - Delirious, trading places, beverely hills cop 1+2, Raw, coming to america.

Comment

Rocky 1-5
                                                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                e 40s.

You must have missed Titanic and Avatar

Comment

Denny I need a bit more relief from the echo chamber, help me see how this could be acceptable on any level

This is some achievement - the single most gobsmacking, jawdropping minute of ignorance I've heard from anyone in the whole administration yet, thats including the moronic little bully boy himself.

Not a single guy with a bad placard

What fucking planet is this cretin living on?
                                                                                                                  Lovely touch with the dates.

Comment

Lenny Abrahamson's Adam and Paul, Garage, What Richard did, Frank and Room is a cracking 5 set. Improving with every film too so he could be elite if trend continues.
                                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Arronofsky maybe, was massive fan of pi and requiem.

Pi
                                                                                                                      Requiem for a dream
                                                                                                                      The fountain
                                                                                                                      The wrestler
                                                                                                                      Black swan

Comment

You must have missed Titanic and Avatar
                                                                                                                        Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean they are not good movies. They both took over 2 billion in box office each, got nominated for best movies and best director and a host of other awards, etc...
                                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

That was just a matter of the credits, they were both down as writers and one was producer to the others director but the roles have always been completely interchangeable.
                                                                                                                          ah, that makes sense. I genuinely though Ethan was fully scripted focused.
                                                                                                                          You cant be leaving out Paths to Glory and the Killing imo
                                                                                                                          FMJ wouldn't fit in his top either
                                                                                                                          I'd make the five from Paths of Glory to 2001 but Barry Lyndon is still my favourite to re watch.
                                                                                                                          Haven't seen either of those two. And I love the first half of FMJ jacket.

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                          I'd say he only barely scraps 5 non-consecutive decent films.
                                                                                                                          And that's including Titanic and Avatar.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X