Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 more BTC double ups and I can retire

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Hmm I don't know. There's got to be a reason why it has any value, therefore there has to be a reason it should have a specific value. Maybe it's like gold - no inherent value except that people feel it should have value. And there's lots of studies on gold. Must look into it!
      Most of what your investing in is the sentiment behind the coin. This idea (ridiculous or otherwise to what you believe) of a better society forged through bitcoin. Much of the language around it is very emotive which has given this type of religious faith around it societal importance moving forward. Whether this idealistic talk ever comes to fruition is hard to know but investing in the idea that everyone wants to believe in something better seems like some good magic beans to get in on.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
        Most of what your investing in is the sentiment behind the coin. This idea (ridiculous or otherwise to what you believe) of a better society forged through bitcoin. Much of the language around it is very emotive which has given this type of religious faith around it societal importance moving forward. Whether this idealistic talk ever comes to fruition is hard to know but investing in the idea that everyone wants to believe in something better seems like some good magic beans to get in on.

Opr
        in fairness, most people invested cause it was a way of cashing in on the drug trade

Mate of mine is balls deep since the start, told me to get involved recently (mate states the above about freedom and all that, but would people saying such really get involved in a drug traffickers dream?)

Gonna be real messy when it dies

Comment

Won't quantum computing mean that they'll just get incredibly easier to mine and thus destroy the current values?

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
            Yes. Tie a bow around it.

Do you know I am genuinely perplexed.
            I am assuming as few men wish to see fanny pics as there are women who wish to see dick pics.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
              Won't quantum computing mean that they'll just get incredibly easier to mine and thus destroy the current values?
              Does the mining thing actually mean anything... really, just a system of giving a value to nothing (I know gold etc)

Comment

I am assuming as few men wish to see fanny pics as there are women who wish to see dick pics. So I say boob....
                I feel you are really underestimating men there.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                  nice of my phone adding Thumbs down icon to that post, so a joke looks like im being a dick, by mine own twisted logic, I wasnt joking at all, just being a dick
                  It's ok, I've removed it for you. Dick.

Comment

Gold has the inherent value of it's properties. It's durable (relatively) incorruptible, so it can be cast and recast without losing its properties, and does not tarnish. It's easy to work with. You can melt it down and make something else without it becoming corrupted. It was easier in the past to create coins from gold.

If you discover a big golden string in a rock it's easier to be obtained comparing with other metals. But you rarely find a big string.

So it's easy to work with. It's easy to get out of rock when you find it compared to other metals. It's pretty. It can be used again and again and melted down. It doesn't self corrupt like copper and rust. It doesn't tarnish.

It replaced cattle as you don't need to feed it. And there is no mess. You don't have to look after gold. It costs little to store. It does cost you to keep it in comparison to cattle. In other words it's CLEAN. You could be wealthy ..and be a much cleaner type of wealthy.

So culturally it became desirable over other currency. Lots of gold is a nicer place to live than a house with lots of pigs or cows.

Gold is valuable. Because it is pretty. It's rare ..but easy to extract when you find it. If you FIND it it's worth investing in. It's clean durable and can be used. It retained value in coinage as it's non perishable and was not common enough to be amassed by many people. Ten coins would not be worth so much less in six months due to an influx of gold. It was relatively stable in supply. So it became currency not through a decision. But culture.

Iron etc was needed for different things that gold was too soft for. So gold became the currency used to buy Iron. Gold has very little industrial use except jewelry it's not used for anything else really. You can't pass Iron to your kids. It's rusted by then.

It's rare easy to get out. That makes it worth investing in.

It has only one grade. Easy to test ...other things

That gave rise to the cultural and historical financial importance of gold. The choice to back currency with gold happened after silver went out of circulation and before currency was valued by supply and demand of national currencies against each other. .
                    Last edited by Guest; 21-05-17, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                      Middlesbourgh are 20/1 to beat liverpool and 7/1 for the draw. Seems overpriced no?
                      Boro 1-0 66/1

ultimate missed out on europe insurance policy

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                        I think the computing power point was just that the electrical power required means that the cost to mine them is >0.

But I think the real value comes from the fixed number. Even if earning them becomes trivial, the finite number creates value. And people increasingly willing to pay a premium for drugs, could possibly continue to drive the price up.

Comment

No he is right quantum computing would completely destroy bitcoin as it stands. From my understanding currently QC would undermine the actual cryptography which keeps bitcoin safe.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            I've no idea how bit coin works.
                            How do people "mine" coins?
                            A mine block in bitcoin currency is just a record of transactions. They find the hash through a formula. It's the equivalent of a wax seal or a bar code. The great thing is ..you can't find out the personal data of the or particular date of the coin or anything about it from the hash. So it remains private. They are able to use transactions to generate a hash without finding out anything about the transactions. So they confirm the 'coin' without revealing any other info.

Comment

No he is right quantum computing would completely destroy bitcoin as it stands. From my understanding currently QC would undermine the actual cryptography which keeps bitcoin safe.

Opr
                              Sure, if the cryptography is cracked, they are essentially worthless with no security.
                              But not due to the mining getting easier.

Edit:Unless I'm misunderstanding what's involved in mining. I thought it was just some trivial process to generate them. If it involves the security aspect then it's an obvious bubble
                              Last edited by Mellor; 21-05-17, 12:39.

Comment

Opr
                                Currently. But we are waay off quantum computing and they are not likely to be used for everyday stuff ...they will more likely be used for research.

But to put this in perspective. ALL file encryptions would be in danger of being breached..emails etc.

Not just cryptocurrency ..but emails log ins ...govt websites.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                  Sure, if the cryptography is cracked, they are essentially worthless with no security.
                                  But not due to the mining getting easier.
                                  Sorry I didn't see the original question was specifically related to mining. In relation to bitcoin mining QC would actually be a good thing as currently the energy concerns around mining bitcoin are a problem.

Opr

Comment

All file encryption are endangered by quantum computing ..so i imagine they will maybe want to avoid that and come up with something...

They will come up with better quantum encryption ..they would have to.

Comment

Quantum computing is a danger to ALL encryption as it currently stands.

Comment

By the way any companies that say they have quantum computers at this stage are lying. https://www.newscientist.com/article...mputers-speed/

It's marketing at this stage.

Comment

By the way any companies that say they have quantum computers at this stage are lying. https://www.newscientist.com/article...mputers-speed/

It's marketing at this stage.
                                          Is it 2015? Can I buy some bitcoin from you please?

Opr

Comment

Is it 2015? Can I buy some bitcoin from you please?

Opr

The Race to Sell True Quantum Computers Begins Before They Really Exist
                                            It will be a few years before they surpass the threshold of traditional machines.

Comment

I would just give you the bitty coins if i had them.

Comment

It will be a few years before they surpass the threshold of traditional machines.
                                                Google have said they will demonstrate it before years end.

Opr

Comment

Google have said they will demonstrate it before years end.

Opr
                                                  Yeah they just tested it ...both qubits. mmm no ...not yet. Few years

Comment

Non-quantum computing that uses software to simulate what we think using non-locality in computing would be.D-Wave computer isn't BQP-complete, you can't run any algorithm you want on it. It's much more like a quantum calculating machine it's not computing. And it's not quantum as it is 'Simulated' non locality only.

D -wave is possibly a dead end anyway and they even admitted classical computing could still be occurring. However what it is ..IS an evolutionary dead end. It's a stepping stone or a lesson towards quantum computing. Quantum speed-ups are not at all guaranteed with this design. It might happen occasionally. That is not science ...it's swinging your hammer around and sometimes hitting the nail.

Comment

Anyone here an ornithologist?

A robin built a nest (again) in garden shed but this time he seemed to have abandoned it. Last year he stayed and hatched a family despite me dragging lawnmower etc in and out but not disturbing the nest.
                                                      This year he seems to have abandoned a fully formed nest but what looks like a wren is now using it. I think its a wren but cant get close enough to see as he never settles still enough! I cant see a red breast but it is small, brown and has a very upright tail which leads me to believe its a wren but I didn't think they would use a shed or an old nest?

Question; Do wrens nest in sheds and use old nests from another bird? Cannot find answer on google so obvious next step is here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                        Anyone here an ornithologist?

A robin built a nest (again) in garden shed but this time he seemed to have abandoned it. Last year he stayed and hatched a family despite me dragging lawnmower etc in and out but not disturbing the nest.
                                                        This year he seems to have abandoned a fully formed nest but what looks like a wren is now using it. I think its a wren but cant get close enough to see as he never settles still enough! I cant see a red breast but it is small, brown and has a very upright tail which leads me to believe its a wren but I didn't think they would use a shed or an old nest?

Question; Do wrens nest in sheds and use old nests from another bird? Cannot find answer on google so obvious next step is here.
                                                        Dunno ..but
                                                        SPOILER

Comment

Guys this is my band!

Comment

I'm the trumpet player

Comment

I'm the trumpet player

Comment

It's that bad i wish it was me..............

I could not stop laughing

Comment

I guess it went over your head..

Comment

Elshambles ..quick delete and say it's me

Comment

Jesus Christ shut the fuck up shut up shut up shut fucking up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                        Jesus Christ shut the fuck up shut up shut up shut fucking up.
                                                                        here you can use this

SPOILER

Comment

cant wait....

Comment

Absolute belter of a match there. The summer is here!!

Comment

Munster hurling champ :-)

Comment

lolcork I mean loltipp.

I don't think that's the last we'll see of tipp this year. Going to be a great summer of hurling.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                  Absolute belter of a match there. The summer is here!!
                                                                                  Lucky hurling fans
                                                                                  Can't wait for the football to kick off end of July,papers seem to have got ahead of themselves today

Comment

The poker world is more than just Texas hold'em and the WSOP. At CardsChat, we cover the poker pros, tournaments and cash games, business and technology, law and politics, industry gossip, and just about everything else that might matter to players of the game we all love.

Doyle Brunson is going to play the WSOP starting may 30th....he is 83. Fair play...

Comment

https://www.cardschat.com/news/doyle...ker-2017-44369

Doyle Brunson is going to play the WSOP starting may 30th....he is 83. Fair play...
                                                                                      83 year old sits in chair for the day,hero

Comment

...
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Opened the door to the apartment block and a fly flew in. As I was coming up in the lift it struck me that this is a MASSIVE life event for that fly. Probably first time indoors, will probably spend the rest of his life indoors, will probably crash into a whole lot of windows having never really encountered a window before. Just like that his whole world has utterly changed.
                                                                                          You should have killed him to prevent his stresses.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                            You should have killed him to prevent his stresses.
                                                                                            SPOILER

SPOILER

They don't live long.

I once had a fly in the house for three days. I tried to get it ..missed.
                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 21-05-17, 17:41.

Comment

Opened the door to the apartment block and a fly flew in. As I was coming up in the lift it struck me that this is a MASSIVE life event for that fly. Probably first time indoors, will probably spend the rest of his life indoors, will probably crash into a whole lot of windows having never really encountered a window before. Just like that his whole world has utterly changed.
                                                                                              I was watching that shitty Irish rip off of the recent buddy comedians visit the world type thing with Dara O'Briain and that other Irish 'comedian' whose name escapes me. They were in Asia where the boom in tourism is having a massive negative impact on the environment especially for turtles. They visited these turtle sanctuaries in which they nursed recused baby turtles to a year old and then released them into the sea.

They showed one of poor lads being encouraged to go for a swim in the big ocean and be free once he reached his birthday. I kept thinking that sea is a fucking huge place. He is gonna swim out, no idea where he is, no friends or family and gonna have a panic attack shortly after he realises he is lost without anyone to feed him. I'd love to know how many actually survive to adulthood if you put a tracker on them.

Opr
                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 21-05-17, 18:00.

Comment

:They showed one of poor lads being encouraged to go for a swim in the big ocean and be free once he reached his birthday. I kept thinking that sea is a fucking huge place. He is gonna swim out, no idea where he is, no friends or family and gonna have a panic attack shortly after he realises he is lost without anyone to feed him.
                                                                                                Was it Dara O'Briain or Ed Byrne they did this to?

Comment

LAst over s of the IPL are delivering , come on Pune
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was watching that shitty Irish rip off of the recent buddy comedians visit the world type thing with Dara O'Briain and that other Irish 'comedian' whose name escapes me. They were in Asia where the boom in tourism is having a massive negative impact on the environment especially for turtles. They visited these turtle sanctuaries in which they nursed recused baby turtles to a year old and then released them into the sea.

They showed one of poor lads being encouraged to go for a swim in the big ocean and be free once he reached his birthday. I kept thinking that sea is a fucking huge place. He is gonna swim out, no idea where he is, no friends or family and gonna have a panic attack shortly after he realises he is lost without anyone to feed him. I'd love to know how many actually survive to adulthood if you put a tracker on them.

Opr
                                                                                                    That sounds really interesting.

Apparently you are never meant to. I don't know really for sure though.

They can never be released into the wild apparently.

Comment

...
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

31 posts today P+F so far. Were you happy with each one?
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        I felt I could have done better

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          LAst over s of the IPL are delivering , come on Pune
                                                                                                          Scenes
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

31 posts today P+F so far. Were you happy with each one?
                                                                                                            I'm seriously going to have to introduce a limit per day the way things are going.

P&F - no need to send me a PM about this.

Comment

I'm seriously going to have to introduce a limit per day the way things are going.

P&F - no need to send me a PM about this.
                                                                                                              You're serious aren't you?After everything that happened.

Ok...you gotta do what you gotta do ..kinda weird though considering.

Comment

You're serious aren't you?After everything that happened.
                                                                                                                I've no idea what you're talking about. The only thing that happened is you posting nearly as much as everyone else put together (slight exaggeration), answering every post practically.
                                                                                                                Last edited by 6starpool; 21-05-17, 18:42.

Comment

I've no idea what you're talking about. The only thing that happened is you posting nearly as much as everyone else put together, answering every post practically.
                                                                                                                  You do.

Comment

I don't think i have ever sent a pm that wasn't a response.

Comment

You do.
                                                                                                                      Enlighten me.

I don't think i have ever sent a pm that wasn't a response.
                                                                                                                      Yes you have. You sent me 2 on the 29th April that were about something I posted on thread.

Anyhow, please, again, think before you post. If someone posts a generic "Ah I hate work, I have to work late again" or something type post, no need to post something like "It'll work out ok, you deserve a great weekend, you're lovely" type reply. Please. I don't want to have to limit posts, but I will if I have to. Multi quote allows you to reply to several posts at once if you must reply to lots of posts, but it's only one post.

Comment

Enlighten me.

Yes you have. You sent me 2 on the 29th April that were about something I posted on thread.

Anyhow, please, again, think before you post. If someone posts a generic "Ah I hate work, I have to work late again" or something type post, no need to post something like "It'll work out ok, you deserve a great weekend, you're lovely" type reply. Please. I don't want to have to limit posts, but I will if I have to. Multi quote allows you to reply to several posts at once if you must reply to lots of posts, but it's only one post.
                                                                                                                        That's fair. Sorry ...I think I want to be liked too much.

Comment

That's fair. Sorry ...I think I want to be liked too much.
                                                                                                                          It's having entirely the opposite effect.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X