Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    There's so much about Islamic finance that would make the world a better place if it was more widely practiced. It's essentially 'moral finance'. A strange thing as their religion is kinda backwards otherwise..
    As far as I can see it's all smoke and mirrors. You call a loan an investment and you charge a fee instead of interest. You don't pay it back and they still send the boys round to collect. And the fees charged go up and down with an exact relationship to the cost of money in the winner banking system.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

There's so much about Islamic finance that would make the world a better place if it was more widely practiced. It's essentially 'moral finance'. A strange thing as their religion is kinda backwards otherwise.

Think there's big plans for Malaysia to take over as centre for Islamic finance from London. Hopefully it happens, as it's so against the principle of the movement that London grabs the spoils for personal enrichment.
      The theory might be all sugar and spice but

Speak to a European who has worked for an Islamic Bank

Have you seen PSG/Man city

The slave labour in the emirates

How oil money is being used to buy power in the states

Etc etc
      Last edited by Guest; 01-06-19, 03:02.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
            I have a reservation for Aimsir on Friday night and I am unlikely to be able to use it. Does anybody here want it before I go and cancel?
            Did you go? Trip report?

Comment

didnt go
              Is it difficult to get a booking?

Might bring my wife for her 40th.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                Is it difficult to get a booking?

Might bring my wife for her 40th.
                August bookings opened at 12:00 today.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
                  August bookings opened at 12:00 today.
                  Might bring her for her 40.5 so.

Comment

Jose Antonio Reyes dead at 35 after a car crash. Tis no age at all really. RIP

Comment

Might bring her for her 40.5 so.
                      Booked a Thurs night in August.

Didn't say on site whether the tasting menu has paired wine. Anyone know?

Comment

Booked a Thurs night in August.

Didn't say on site whether the tasting menu has paired wine. Anyone know?
                        Booze available
                        Our sommeliers have carefully curated two drinks pairings – a diverse alcoholic beverage pairing which includes beer, cider, spirits, wines and an interesting non-alcoholic pairing focused on fruit presses, vibrant juices and fresh herb infusions for aromatic teas, all designed to complement the flavours of the food.

Seasonal Tasting menu €105
                        Beverage pairing €85
                        Non-alcoholic €40

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          Booze available
                          Cheers, I'm obv lazy.

Comment

Finishing a paper on Islamic finance today, a subject which, unlike double-decker buses, I know very little about. One thing that came up was the concept of zakat - charitable giving. It is the idea that every Muslim person must give 1/40th of their disposable wealth to charity, normally during ramadan.

Seemed extraordinarily generous, so was asking a buddy at work from Pakistan about whether it was really a thing.

He was saying that yep, absolutely everyone does this. So I was asking exactly how it works and he goes well you just add up your wealth take out 1/40th of it and then you identify someone in your wider social circle who needs help and send it off to them. This year his money went to someone very poor who helps out in his mosque back in Pakistan whose daughter is hoping to get married this year. So his whole family chose this person as who they were giving to. Its the same across all the Muslim-majority countries.

Social-network-charitable-giving. What a lovely idea. Those folks have a few things worked out, even if theres other things left to work on.
                            People should totally advertise and use social media for giving, especially charitable matching, really drives up giving. That new FB feature where it gets people to support charities on their birthday is interesting, not only do people try and get others to donate, they often start the ball rolling themselves and FB give a paltry Euro themselves to the cause if you do, works though.

You might be interested in reading about effective altruism or "earning to give". Lots of people will identify causes like a poor person with a child getting married, or something like "Make a Wish", but I don't think a lot of people are rational enough to give to the absolute most effective charities - can't get too excited about a few more malaria nets I guess, they are much more likely to give to something they can relate to or feel about, struggle with that myself. Love books like "The Most Good You Can Do" even if the author waxes lyrical about themselves, takes into account sustainability of yourself with doing good for others, still indulge for yourself etc.
                            My brothers PhD is about the macro psychology of giving to charity in NGO's, what they donate to, why etc, it's really interesting. Vastly simplified here.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-06-19, 15:21.

Comment

Can you reset your AIB pin online or over the phone? Or will it take 3 days to send the pin to you? Landed in Ireland an hour ago and left my bank card in Malta

Have my Irish card but don't know the pin. Won't be doing much this week otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                Can you reset your AIB pin online or over the phone? Or will it take 3 days to send the pin to you? Landed in Ireland an hour ago and left my bank card in Malta

Have my Irish card but don't know the pin. Won't be doing much this week otherwise!
                                Does it have an app?

Barclays bank app lets you see your pin

Worth having a look

Comment

They don't seem to have the option on the app. Will go find s bank machine and have a crack at 2 pins and then see what options I have!

Comment

Is it gonna be 6Starpool after tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      People should totally advertise and use social media for giving, especially charitable matching, really drives up giving. That new FB feature where it gets people to support charities on their birthday is interesting, not only do people try and get others to donate, they often start the ball rolling themselves and FB give a paltry Euro themselves to the cause if you do, works though.

You might be interested in reading about effective altruism or "earning to give". Lots of people will identify causes like a poor person with a child getting married, or something like "Make a Wish", but I don't think a lot of people are rational enough to give to the absolute most effective charities - can't get too excited about a few more malaria nets I guess, they are much more likely to give to something they can relate to or feel about, struggle with that myself. Love books like "The Most Good You Can Do" even if the author waxes lyrical about themselves, takes into account sustainability of yourself with doing good for others, still indulge for yourself etc.
                                      My brothers PhD is about the macro psychology of giving to charity in NGO's, what they donate to, why etc, it's really interesting. Vastly simplified here.
                                      Will MacAskill is guy behind Effective Altrusim, I've listened to a couple of podcasts with him.
                                      Very much adheres to the Peter Singer model, youngest tenured professor in Oxford before he turned 30. Lives on £25k gives the rest away.

GiveWell is the method he suggests using for donations, I believe per dollar it's bed nets for those at risk of malaria is the most effective per dollar spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Anyway you could setup the card for tap and go on your phone (Apple or google pay? Don’t recall having to enter pin when doing that

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                          Is it gonna be 6Starpool after tonight?
                                          Eh, he's named after his 5 swimming medals surely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            It's the reviews his back garden summer camp gets on TripAdvisor

Comment

I look forward to continuing posts from 1starHotspur

Comment

Anyway you could setup the card for tap and go on your phone (Apple or google pay? Don’t recall having to enter pin when doing that
                                                Needed to withdraw cash. Will use my credit card as a workaround. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  I swim like a stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                    I look forward to continuing posts from 1starHotspur
                                                    7 o'clock and instead of looking forward to the match I'm up to my eyes running statistics on a dissertation for an ex!

Comment

Dice Price Watch....
                                                      Bradys in Terenure 5.40
                                                      Vaughans 7 yards away 4.80.

Comment

i got another honorable mention in The Phoenix magazine this edition I see. Keeping the HHE in the company they deserve.
                                                        As my father would frequently remark when perusing his copy of said magazine:

"There's only one thing worse than being in The Phoenix...and that's not being in The Phoenix".

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                          7 o'clock and instead of looking forward to the match I'm up to my eyes running statistics on a dissertation for an ex!

Comment

Good luck to all my friends. Reckon hotspur would be best placed to deal with the pain though, so I'm rooting for the Pool.

Comment

Like getting a double up in the first hand.

Be grand hotspur, in my experience.

Comment

Anyone have a link to the match please?

Comment

Originally posted by alocon View Post
                                                                  Anyone have a link to the match please?
                                                                  Easy answers

If you're in Ireland, tv3 website

If Britain, BT sport YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                    Easy answers

If you're in Ireland, tv3 website

If Britain, BT sport YouTube channel
                                                                    Its for a mate in Oz. Havent used them in so long

Comment

Same

Comment

In case still haven't got one (probably had a more enjoyable 45m if he hasn't):
                                                                        Experience live football streaming and soccer streams on FootyBite. Watch your favorite matches, join passionate football fans, and enjoy high-quality streams of your beloved sport

Comment

As bad a CL final performance as humanly possible from Sissoko. 50 lashes at half time.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            As bad a CL final performance as humanly possible from Sissoko. 50 lashes at half time.
                                                                            ifs and buts and all but think Liverpool could have over run them in front of the back 4 if he wasn't bulling about

Comment

Kane has looked well off the pace all night to my untutored eye? Should be well benched by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                Kane has looked well off the pace all night to my untutored eye? Should be well benched by now.
                                                                                Players of the ilk of Harry Kane don’t get taken off. It’s just a thing

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                  Dice Price Watch....
                                                                                  Bradys in Terenure 5.40
                                                                                  Vaughans 7 yards away 4.80.
                                                                                  I'd like some kind of ratings for the establishments themselves. Price isn't everything.

Comment

Not fit. Been injured for a few months and clearly not back to it yet

Worst final of the last few years anyway. Liverpool happy to sit in since taking the lead and Spurs look completely lost going forward.

Comment

Yeah he's never been one to hit the ground running after not playing games in a while, famously terrible in first month of every season.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

3 week break + weather +the way they both won the semis led to this being so flat
                                                                                        6Starpool it is , was there ever a 4starpool?

Comment

WP 6starpool...dnever really in doubt.

Comment

Liverpool keeper for MotM plz.

Comment

...

Comment

Thought hitch was taking an out of character interest in the football there and posting a Prime Origi meme. Spoiler it!

Comment

Liverpool keeper for MotM plz.
                                                                                                  I fully expect to hear a fan song to this tune next season

When Son was in and away & VanDyk caught him and took it off his toe, it was the closest thing I've seen to Hansen since the man himself

Comment

FUCKING YES!!!!

Comment

Awful final but no denying that Liverpool deserved a major trophy, fantastic season.
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Congrats to our Liverpool fans.

Comment

Awful final but no denying that Liverpool deserved a major trophy, fantastic season.
                                                                                                          It was a poor game, but Liverpool managed it so well defensively. Alisson so composed when he needed to be. Spurs didn't get any clear chances really.

Comment

Good Omens is the bank holiday treat you've been waiting for. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman into a TV series. It's amazing.

Image spoilered for largeness, not an actual spoiler.

SPOILER
                                                                                                            I lasted 15 minutes into it.

Comment

double post

Comment

Nice one Dom, opr, DP, Rigger, JamieCarra n'all !! Delighted for yiz.

Comment

Agreed , would have been a travesty if that team finished trophyless, especially since they only lost to the Quatari cheats

Comment

3 week break + weather +the way they both won the semis led to this being so flat
                                                                                                                    6Starpool it is , was there ever a 4starpool?
                                                                                                                    No regged on boards with that name 3 months or so after 5. Couldn't think of a proper name, hence that daft one.

Comment

Klopp must be the most relieved man in the stadium. He finally did it after so many near misses. They deserved a trophy for their season anyway as much as it pains me to say. They've been.fantastic. Enjoy ye liverpool supporting cunce

Comment

Go on the young Irish lad

Comment

Spurs should really cash in on Eriksen if Real offer silly money, he's decent but wouldnt lace Modric's boots, could get a couple of better squad additions for his fee.
                                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X