Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eurovision

In

Comment

Hungover as shite. But in AJ.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

In, dedans, sisse, im , nel, i, daxildir

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Its probably a bit insensitive of me to make any comment at all but IMO if you climb Everest and don't survive the descent that is well within the scope of things that can be expected to happen when you climb Everest.

I know many people pay the entire cost of their trip and tack on a fundraising effort on top and that is great but there is a striking contrast between the gofundme page his family have opened to recover his body and the one set up to fund the trip and raise money for Barretstown
            No doubting the man was brave and courageous. If he was a single man fine but he has responsibilities a wife a child what use is he frozen solid five miles in the sky. The ego has to be subdued lots of ways of doing charity work with out having the holiday of a lifetime and endangering your family’s future.
            Last edited by Guest; 18-05-19, 10:34.

Comment

Its probably a bit insensitive of me to make any comment at all but IMO if you climb Everest and don't survive the descent that is well within the scope of things that can be expected to happen when you climb Everest.

I know many people pay the entire cost of their trip and tack on a fundraising effort on top and that is great but there is a striking contrast between the gofundme page his family have opened to recover his body and the one set up to fund the trip and raise money for Barretstown
              Well of course it's part of the risk. That risk, as well as the effort required, is what makes Everest fundraisible. I'd be all up for a trip to Vegas with the excess going to charity.
              The recovery fundraiser is basically separate. A dramatic death gets good coverage, the tradegy factor. It's natural for the family to want to recover the body, and it's natural for people to be more willing to donate to that cause than to a charity

Comment

In
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I saw that post and had similar thoughts. I actually thought that not only is it really stupid, but it's pretty offensive to send Sherpas off on a wild goose chase to find someone's frozen body. The guy would have known the risks before he went. 10% of people who attempt to get to the summit die in the attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    I saw that post and had similar thoughts. I actually thought that not only is it really stupid, but it's pretty offensive to send Sherpas off on a wild goose chase to find someone's frozen body. The guy would have known the risks before he went. 10% of people who attempt to get to the summit die in the attempt.
                    He made it to the summit. The getting back down was the problem.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Eurovision.
                      1. Strewelpeter
                      2. balfejohn
                      3. pokerhand
                      4. shrapnel
                      5. bohsman
                      6. Gimmeabreak
                      7. Raoul Duke III
                      8. ??????

One spot left.
                      Definitely worth getting into this heat as if you win GAB will bring your €25 on a potentially lucrative expedition through the following weeks novice hurdles and maidens.

Comment

In

Comment

And that's 8 and closed with CHD.
                          Will do the runners and riders for it about 2.30pm.

Usually there's enough for a second heat as well.
                          Keep adding names if want in, still over 6 hours to song-off time.

Comment

Inski
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              It's obvious impressive, that it's replicating a voice and speech pattern. But it's still (as far as I understand it) reading a human generated script. It's basically a step up from Stephen Hawking sounding robo-voices. Sat-nav instructions will improve.
                              I think what CC is getting at is that true AI would be conversational.
                              It isn't really the task itself that is that impressive but how it is being achieved. Deep learning isn't a mechanical set of rules that are hardcoded which are allowing the conversion to take place. Instead of giving the computer a defined set of programming rules to do tasks mechanically, it instead learns to do things from data and experience. The company who produced this AI haven't released details on how it works but taking the example of the Poker DL heads up that beat the top players in thw world. The deep learning computer at the start only knows the rules of the game. It intially starts to learn by playing a completely random strategy against itself. Over time it develops an understanding of what works and doesn't through experinces of playing much in the same way that we do. On the first day I think the humans actually beat it for a decent clip but the program is constantly evolving itself as it plays so each day from playing against better players it got better and better untill it completely destroyed them.

It is the way in which it is learning to speak like Joe that is the impressive part here.

Replika is a chatbot which is a couple of years old but I think works on the same principle and I am sure the state of them is far better these days.

Replika is a chatbot that creates a digital representation of you. It's strange and fascinating -- but the story behind it is even better.Eugenia Kuyda’s bes...

As for the the comment about how uselss this is apart from sat-nav instructions improving. Imagine a world in which you can't verify a single audio version of someone saying something ever again.

Opr
                              Last edited by Opr; 18-05-19, 13:16.

Comment

In for number 2 if it runs

Comment

In Aj. Although not a good egg.

Comment

I was trying to find a decent video on DL to stick into that post. I just came across a very recent one which is very good.

The story of deep learning, a technology that has evolved from the humble beginnings of neural networks into THE dominant force in artificial intelligence. T...

Opr

Comment

In

Comment

...In for gambol...

Comment

Eurovision Heat One comes out of the hat as follows.

Or in patented easy to read order.
                                          Your two lowest scores count, lowest total wins.

Comment

Eurovision Heat Two looking a certainty to fill.

1. Oleras
                                            2. KevIRL
                                            3. Solksjaer!
                                            4. Dice75
                                            5. luckforsome

3 spots to fill.
                                            Not sure if Dimoxinil in. Usually enters, thanked OP but didn't post.
                                            Let me know if in.

Comment

Funny story from the Fitz: One of the older Regs took a bad beat last year, took a knife out of his pocket and stabbed the table, telling the dealer not to do that again. He got barred. Several months later he tries to get back in, and the staff were asked would they mind. The answer was unanimous, no way. Myself and another supervisor said we would leave if they let him back. I just heard now from a friend he has been allowed back because "he's too important for the game".

Comment

Funny story from the Fitz: One of the older Regs took a bad beat last year, took a knife out of his pocket and stabbed the table, telling the dealer not to do that again. He got barred. Several months later he tries to get back in, and the staff were asked would they mind. The answer was unanimous, no way. Myself and another supervisor said we would leave if they let him back. I just heard now from a friend he has been allowed back because "he's too important for the game".
                                                Did the dealer slip one from the bottom again ? if not he was indeed good for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                  It isn't really the task itself that is that impressive but how it is being achieved. Deep learning isn't a mechanical set of rules that are hardcoded which are allowing the conversion to take place. Instead of giving the computer a defined set of programming rules to do tasks mechanically, it instead learns to do things from data and experience.
                                                  I understand what deep learning is. I mean, anyone who has heard of deep fakes is familar with the concept. I didn't say I didn't think it was impressive. Im saying I can understand why people don't consider script reading to be true AI. Huge difference

As for the the comment about how uselss this is apart from sat-nav instructions improving.
                                                  Who said it was useless?
                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 18-05-19, 15:06.

Comment

Was thinking you were being a bit harsh until I read this thread..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

There's a few good articles on the bodies. They're sign posts at this stage

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                        I may not be reading this correctly. But from my basic understanding of the terminology, that seems total bonkers.
                                                        He sold 500 puts at 420. The put buyer buy exercised his option when the price hit 220.
                                                        And the thinks the motivation was to hit the stock price...rather than cash in the $100k put option. WTF

I bet he's convinced himself that he really only bought 1500 at 285 when you average it out both days.
                                                        They're entirely mad. Tons of them are nursing six figure losses.
                                                        For people who are worried, and are currently down (and hell, im very very down at the moment monetarily), I re-iterate my earlier contention that the reason the stock is down and the media is so negative is PRECISELY because the companies position is so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                          There's a few good articles on the bodies. They're sign posts at this stage
                                                          Yeah, that guy linked this one. Fascinating.

Comment

Surely the UK is a cert for Null points this year.

Lock it up AJ. UL losers.

Comment

In for euro sweep if space.

Comment

In for sweep please .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Why isn't their a movement to blindly vote for UK for the absolute lols? Force the brits to celebrate everything queer and European.

Comment

Surprisingly they are 5/1 to finish last with Germany 5/4 Fav. But I agree, UK are usually the golden ticket and the one I'd want.

What have Germany entered to be such a short price I wonder, some Wehrmacht marching song to amuse the Tel Aviv audience?

Eurovision Heat Two nearly there.

1. Oleras
                                                                    2. KevIRL
                                                                    3. Solksjaer!
                                                                    4. Dice75
                                                                    5. luckforsome
                                                                    6. Jibz
                                                                    7. Dimoxinil
                                                                    8. ???????

1 spot left. Will Hitch get out of the enchanted Broccoli Forest in time to claim it?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                      Eurovision Heat Two looking a certainty to fill.

1. Oleras
                                                                      2. KevIRL
                                                                      3. Solksjaer!
                                                                      4. Dice75
                                                                      5. luckforsome

3 spots to fill.
                                                                      Not sure if Dimoxinil in. Usually enters, thanked OP but didn't post.
                                                                      Let me know if in.
                                                                      Its eurovision of course I'm in
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This guy is incredible....

Comment

Eurovision Heat II comes out of the sorting hat as follows.
                                                                          or if you prefer

Comment

Anybody old enough to remember the WWF in the 80's when most bouts on shows involved a superstar wrestler versus a nobody sacrificial lamb? Watford are the Iron Mike Sharpe of the FA Cup final.

Comment

What the fuck is north macedonia

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                I hope to see a united Macedonia in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                  Anybody old enough to remember the WWF in the 80's when most bouts on shows involved a superstar wrestler versus a nobody sacrificial lamb? Watford are the Iron Mike Sharpe of the FA Cup final.
                                                                                  Perfect analogy.
                                                                                  Squash match against the brooklyn brawler
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Eurovision Heat II comes out of the sorting hat as follows.
                                                                                    or if you prefer
                                                                                    Luckforsome has this won

Comment

Eurovision Heat One comes out of the hat as follows.

Or in patented easy to read order.
                                                                                      Adding this to the latest page

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        Luckforsome has this won
                                                                                        ...Previous 2 years I was winning after 1st set of votes but lost after 2nd votes...Also I'd appreciate not BBVing me...

Comment

Heat I.
                                                                                          Heat II.

Here we go then, wine opening time. Enjoy, ship €25 to the winner.

Comment

Norway ew
                                                                                            Russia ew

Comment

Really want to spunk money on Iceland

Comment

Only bet this year for me.

Comment

Iceland will be generating enough spunk without you adding to it
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Iceland will be generating enough spunk without you adding to it
                                                                                                    Oooh matron

Comment

Switzerland for the win
                                                                                                      Russia ew

Comment

Not sure how the German song (Sisters) was 5/4 for last, certainty to be mid-field I'd say.

Comment

This is like his 6th eurovision

I keep saying we should just keep sending jedward

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                            I am guessing it's either Kosovo or else Macedonia have rebranded with a fuck you nod to their Greek neighbours.

Comment

I am guessing it's either Kosovo or else Macedonia have rebranded with a fuck you nod to their Greek neighbours.
                                                                                                              I think it was a compromise agreed with the Greeks.

Comment

I hope to see a united Macedonia in my lifetime.
                                                                                                                Never never never. North Macedonia says NO.

Comment

I think it was a compromise agreed with the Greeks.
                                                                                                                  Doesn't that make Greece 'South Macedonia' though?

Comment

Macedonia @200/1 isn't the worst Ew bet in the world

1st year
                                                                                                                    Good technical performance
                                                                                                                    Nice anthem song about pride
                                                                                                                    Decent jiggle

Ticks all the boxes

Comment

This is like his 6th eurovision

I keep saying we should just keep sending jedward
                                                                                                                      1st year without their Mammy. Tough time for the jedwards.

Comment

Slovenia.

Comment

The name change was a hugely contentious compromise with the Greeks who were pushing hard against them using the name Macedonia in any form. As I read it the Greeks seemed to have right on their side with this name being a workable solution.
                                                                                                                          Its amazing how significant the name is and how deeply it runs in the region. The Wikipedia entry on the naming dispute runs to about several gazillion words.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X