Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
    Changed my mind now for a city break decided 3rd June ish for 3 nights London. Flights dirt cheap but fucking hotels huge prices....anyone recommend something not a million miles outside for a reasonable price.
    What's a reasonable price? ibis hotels can usually be had for decent prices. As GAB said, the tube is great, so aim for somewhere close to a tube stations and you'll be able to get around pretty quickly.

Getting an Oyster card makes things much easier. Not sure if you can get them in all airports but definitely can from Gatwick (don't get the gatwick express).

Comment

Changed my mind now for a city break decided 3rd June ish for 3 nights London. Flights dirt cheap but fucking hotels huge prices....anyone recommend something not a million miles outside for a reasonable price.
      We stayed here: https://www.nellgwynnpods.co.uk

£110 for a Saturday night, room was bigger than we expected by the pics, 5 mins walk to South Kensington tube, we were really happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
        We stayed here: https://www.nellgwynnpods.co.uk

£110 for a Saturday night, room was bigger than we expected by the pics, 5 mins walk to South Kensington tube, we were really happy with it.
        Sold out and next room up too dear

Was looking at this coming in around 380 euro and seems in an ok area.

Central Park London- A 3 star Hotel set right in the heart of Central London, a lavish property with stylish rooms. Hotel is a short walk from Paddington Station & 2 minute walk from Queensway Underground Station. Book your stay now.

Don't fancy Airbnb just not my cup of tea.

I'm prob gonna struggle with tube system but no doubt Mia will work it out no bother
        Last edited by SatNav; 20-03-19, 12:43.
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
          That looks great.

I didn't as i was told x and x that were coming over wouldn't eat lamb.
          Infuriating.

Looks a fantastic dish though and will be making shortly.
          Seems like an awful lot of oil, 150ml ?
          This too shall pass.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
              Seems like an awful lot of oil, 150ml ?
              Yeah i suppose it does. Maybe it's not excessive for frying the Aubergines. But after i removed them i wouldn't be adding the lamb to 10 tbsps.

3 Would be plenty with the rest of them ingredients and whatever came off the lamb

Comment

Macron going for a 'ratify the WA or GTFO on 29 March' approach to the Brits.

It'll be fascinating to see if others follow this line.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

He's denying that, saying it's just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    • Fly to either of Heathrow, Gatwick or City. The trek from the other airports is too much and what you save on flights you will give back on trains etc.
                    • The beauty of London is that everywhere is brilliantly accessible on the tube. If you've not used the tube before don't worry. Take a minute to figure it out and download one of the many Tube Maps which includes route planning.
                    • Have a snoop around AirBnB for an apartment. But get exact location and use Google Maps to figure out where you are and how close you are to major transport hubs. A quick walk to the tube can often be a mile or more in practice.
                    Register as contactless card on TFL and you can use everything bar the airport express trains for the max daily fee.
                    For instance jumping on the Picadilly line at Heathrow I can get right over to Finsbury Park in an hour for a total of £3.20 and the same to LCY.

I just booked a 2 bed apartment on AirBnB for 4 nights for £370 out here Its nothing special but if you're doing it right you'll only be sleeping there. Out that far its going to take you 10 mins walk to tube, 3 to bus that will take you to say British Museum in 20 and Harrods in 30 mins.

IMO, unless you are staying out in the west or Northwest LCY is well worth the few extra quid you spend on it. Typical round trip the week you are looking at is €115 against a Ryanair to Stanstead for 70 or Aer Lingus to LHR or LGW for 90. Watch out for Stansted where the train will cost you more than the flight also prebook the ordinary train from Gatwick rather than take the express it takes 5 mins longer and is a fraction of the price.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Macron says he's going to refuse to extend the deadline on brexit. Link is in French, so not particularly useful. Hello carnage.
                      I wouldn’t want to spend my summer sitting in the same meeting either. In a lot of ways he could just write “no, you know what the deal is already” on a postit and leave it a meeting room for her to come look at whenever she fancies.

Hopefully enough to shove her out the door, collapse the current uk gov and go back to the polls. Doubt he will have much more fun negotiating with Boris or Corbyn tho....

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Macron going for a 'ratify the WA or GTFO on 29 March' approach to the Brits.

It'll be fascinating to see if others follow this line.
                        Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        Its got to be the way to go.
                        Absolutely no point in giving them a short extension unless we know there is a deal.
                        Either take two years to have a good hard look in the mirror and think about what you are doing to yourselves or decide now if you want deal or no deal.
                        There is no difference between making that call next week or during June except for the continuing pain and uncertainty its causing.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          He’s denying that he denied saying that in a bid to copy the clowns in the UK Parliament . In a statement this morning he said. And now, remain gone, illegitimate-faced bugger-folk! And, if you think you got a nasty taunting this time, you ain't heard nothing yet, dappy English k-nnniggets! Thpppt!

Comment

BREXIT .

Comment

As other mentioned, Umbrella Academy is really good but slightly weird.

Another show I started watching is Love, Sex, and Robots which has some good online reviews. It is very good but also very weird. Some of the short stories are a bit meh, but others are brilliant. Highly recommend.
                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                What word in the Oxford English Dictionary has the most definitions?

(No googling)
                                Yup.

Answer is in the spoiler:

SPOILER
                                SET
                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Another good one for you folks playing along at home:

What is the only United States city (that has an NFL franchise) is be named after a former dictator?

Comment

Gave The Umbrella Academy a go (without knowing anything about it) after seeing the positive reviews on here. Gave up after 16 minute upon the appearance of a talking monkey. Some of you would want to take a long, hard look at yourselves.

Comment

Another good one for you folks playing along at home:

What is the only United States city (that has an NFL franchise) is be named after a former dictator?
                                      SPOILER
                                      St. Louis?

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                        Gave The Umbrella Academy a go (without knowing anything about it) after seeing the positive reviews on here. Gave up after 16 minute upon the appearance of a talking monkey. Some of you would want to take a long, hard look at yourselves.
                                        LOL. I thought the same about hobbits and Wizards but sure look how wrong I was .

Did you enjoy planet of the Apes ? Based on a true story I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                          SPOILER
                                          St. Louis?
                                          Nope. Never a dictator.

Comment

Nope. Never a dictator.
                                            Also doesn't have a NFL team anymore.

Cincinnati definitely the most dictatory sounding city in NFL
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Nope. Never a dictator.
                                              SPOILER
                                              Is this a george washington thing?

Comment

Nope. Never a dictator.
                                                SPOILER
                                                Sam Heuston
                                                was a dictator cause they don't got no NFL in
                                                SPOILER
                                                Bismark ND
                                                and he wasn't a dictator anyway

Comment

Nope. Never a dictator.
                                                  Washington?
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Horrible news coming out of italy
                                                    Police helped children escape through smashed windows as the suspect set the bus alight.

Could have been a massacre
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

New Orleans, after a French regal line maybe (not sure they count as dictators)

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                        Also doesn't have a NFL team anymore.

Cincinnati definitely the most dictatory sounding city in NFL
                                                        Cincinnati is correct, I think, I just cant remember why but I've heard it before. A Roman or Persian dictator is in my head for some reason.

Kayroo needs to come back and put me out of my misery.

Comment

The EU has absolutely done exactly what it said it will do, every step of the way. It's been impressively united and disciplined.

The UK has been the polar opposite.

I really don't think Tusk and Macron are bluffing. It's over to Labour to show some kind of leadership now.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                            Cincinnati is correct, I think, I just cant remember why but I've heard it before. A Roman or Persian dictator is in my head for some reason.

Roman emperor imo.

Comment

No Deal Brexit was 10/1 yesterday. Now 4/1.

Comment

I was thinking some roman dude too, like Cinncinatus but he was the opposite of a dictator I seem to recall. He retired to a small farm to run it until his state was invaded. He was asked to come back, took complete power over the area and gave it up to go back to his farm again.

Can't remember any others.
                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-03-19, 18:32.

Comment

No Deal Brexit was 10/1 yesterday. Now 4/1.
                                                                  I've it backed. Good to hedge any temp price increases.

edit: I've backed no extension. EU usually fudges these deadlines, but funking for someone to object.
                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-03-19, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Cincinnati is correct. Named for Cincinnatus, the only man to be named Roman Dictator twice and renounce it both times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                      I was thinking some roman dude too, like Cinncinatus but he was the opposite of a dictator I seem to recall. He retired to a small farm to run it until his state was invaded. He was asked to come back, took complete power over the area and gave it up to go back to his farm again.

Can't remember any others.
                                                                      In Rome the term Dictator was an official title. He was lauded because he was a Dictator though not dictatorial.

Comment

Sold out and next room up too dear

Was looking at this coming in around 380 euro and seems in an ok area.

Central Park London- A 3 star Hotel set right in the heart of Central London, a lavish property with stylish rooms. Hotel is a short walk from Paddington Station & 2 minute walk from Queensway Underground Station. Book your stay now.

Don't fancy Airbnb just not my cup of tea.

I'm prob gonna struggle with tube system but no doubt Mia will work it out no bother
                                                                        Check this place out. Just around the corner from me,, and looks great from the outside. (never been obviously so Check the reviews). Very good transport link, and still very central. (zone 2).

Comment

Two men have been both Tanaiste and President of Ireland. Name them.

Comment

In Rome the term Dictator was an official title. He was lauded because he was a Dictator though not dictatorial.
                                                                            How plebeian of me!

Comment

Cincinnati is correct. Named for Cincinnatus, the only man to be named Roman Dictator twice and renounce it both times.
                                                                              Bollox. I was gonna say Cincinnaticus so wasnt too far away. Kept me thinking while driving the van today and nice to know that nugget of info stuck somewhere lol.

Good question

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                Register as contactless card on TFL and you can use everything bar the airport express trains for the max daily fee.
                                                                                For instance jumping on the Picadilly line at Heathrow I can get right over to Finsbury Park in an hour for a total of £3.20 and the same to LCY.

I just booked a 2 bed apartment on AirBnB for 4 nights for £370 out here Its nothing special but if you're doing it right you'll only be sleeping there. Out that far its going to take you 10 mins walk to tube, 3 to bus that will take you to say British Museum in 20 and Harrods in 30 mins.

IMO, unless you are staying out in the west or Northwest LCY is well worth the few extra quid you spend on it. Typical round trip the week you are looking at is €115 against a Ryanair to Stanstead for 70 or Aer Lingus to LHR or LGW for 90. Watch out for Stansted where the train will cost you more than the flight also prebook the ordinary train from Gatwick rather than take the express it takes 5 mins longer and is a fraction of the price.
                                                                                See I don't get all the airports, I was booking Stansted, I'll prob end up staying in the place I linked, prefer a hotel tbh. So which is best airport to fly to and can I just get off flight and jump on bus tube or whatever to get me to Westminster area.

It all Seems so complicated and I am absolutely thick as fuck when it comes to directions etc.
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                  What's a reasonable price? ibis hotels can usually be had for decent prices. As GAB said, the tube is great, so aim for somewhere close to a tube stations and you'll be able to get around pretty quickly.

Getting an Oyster card makes things much easier. Not sure if you can get them in all airports but definitely can from Gatwick (don't get the gatwick express).
                                                                                  Don't need an oyster anymore with your contactless card or am o doing it wrong. Was led to believe it acts exactly same as regards caps etc but neever actually checked it
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Corbyn walked out because TIG were there
                                                                                    What a useless fucking cunt.

Comment

Two men have been both Tanaiste and President of Ireland. Name them.
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      Hillery and, errrrr.Childers?

Comment

Spectacularly wrong! WTF was I thinking with the second one, saw the Asgard about a month ago too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                          Corbyn walked out because TIG were there
                                                                                          What a useless fucking cunt.
                                                                                          In fairness, that hardly makes him stand out in UK politics.

Comment

Spectacularly wrong! WTF was I thinking with the second one, saw the Asgard about a month ago too.
                                                                                            Oh, it was the other one you moron. Correct and wrong at the same time.

Comment

In fairness, that hardly makes him stand out in UK politics.
                                                                                              Its my own fault.
                                                                                              I keep reacting to his latest fucking idiocy like...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                Its my own fault.
                                                                                                I keep reacting to his latest fucking idiocy like...
                                                                                                Did you actually buy his bullshit?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                  Don't need an oyster anymore with your contactless card or am o doing it wrong. Was led to believe it acts exactly same as regards caps etc but neever actually checked it
                                                                                                  Yeah contactless with revolut/n26 is the way to go. Not with an Irish card or you get charged a conversion fee every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    Yeah contactless with revolut/n26 is the way to go. Not with an Irish card or you get charged a conversion fee every time.
                                                                                                    Yeah noticed the conversion rate. I only reverted to my bank card as I used my Revolut card for the first time on the Tube not realising I needed to enable contactless.
                                                                                                    Locked out and charged the full day rate afterwards

Comment

The first time I used revolut on the London tube it was breaking every machine I scanned it at, it was hilarious. They had to send new cards out to me and others.

Comment

Eh... the only one you got right was the second one...

Comment

It's over to Labour to show some kind of leadership now.
                                                                                                          Good luck with that

Comment

Presidents

SPOILER
                                                                                                            Erskine Childers and Sean T O'Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              Once you have it registered to TFL

Comment

You don't need to register with TFL, but is useful.
                                                                                                                Use Revolut, don't need an Oyster.
                                                                                                                Stansted is grand. Train to Liverpool Street will sort ya.
                                                                                                                Everything is mad expensive and everyone's a knob.
                                                                                                                Don't say a word to anyone on the tube or they'll think you're a terrorist.
                                                                                                                You can stay on my couch if you behave.
                                                                                                                Get the citymapper app on your phone, it will tell you how to get anywhere you need.

Comment

Did you actually buy his bullshit?
                                                                                                                  Not his specifically but he was my designated 'goodie' in the Brexit battle.
                                                                                                                  The only reason he got as popular as he did was the youth voted him as the British Bernie and the anti Brexit pillar.

Comment

I didn't register my debit card or Revolut 2 weeks ago and I had no issue using it.

Perhaps you need to register to avail of the caps?

Citymapper app definitely worth it

Comment

Eh... the only one you got right was the second one...
                                                                                                                      Confused my Childers

Comment

What a load of old bollox

Comment

Bit harsh to criticse JC for not wanting to listen to an advance preview of that at 6pm.

Really don't see the issue with him walking out - he's official leader of the opposition so he has access to private meetings and briefings with May anyway. If anything actually important was happening then he wouldn't be called to an x-way meeting, there'd be a phonecall.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X