Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Its those rounded edges where the screen flows over them that is just pure 'wow, this is a fancy piece of kit' that works for Samsung despite it being weird and unfinished when they first launched it a few phones ago.
        Huawei Mate 20 Pro way ahead of both imo, camera is amazing and hardware and design is top class. To top of off the battery is simply amazing and will charges faster than any other phone out there.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
          Huawei Mate 20 Pro way ahead of both imo, camera is amazing and hardware and design is top class. To top of off the battery is simply amazing and will charges faster than any other phone out there.
          Agree. This is the best battery iv ever had on any phone. Great phone!
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

P.20 is as good as it gets for most phone users.
            For work the Note 9 is an awesome piece of kit too. The S pen so handy to be able to scribble stuff down and markup pdfs etc.
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Cheltenham thoughts starting to sneak into the back of the mind.

Ease your constant nagging fear of missing out by entering the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp early. Then sit back, pour yourself a drink and congratulate yourself on your perspicacity.

Spam to follow at regular intervals. Don't be fooled by cheap imitiations.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                Me: Hello, my colleague collapsed and is currently in the recovery position and whiter than a sheet.

999: Ambulance is on the way.

Me 1hr20 mins later: Good decision not to be really sick, colleague.
                That's strange, I've never called an ambulance without it being there in two or three minutes and me thinking, how the fuck have they managed that?
                Originally posted by digiman View Post
                Looks like a class phone. p30 and p30 pro will be out in a month and will be better. They release phones every 6 months and it's the P turn now.
                Originally posted by mocata View Post
                P.20 is as good as it gets for most phone users.
                For work the Note 9 is an awesome piece of kit too. The S pen so handy to be able to scribble stuff down and markup pdfs etc.
                p20 is class, just had it a couple of weeks. The battery is amazing due to the aggressive battery management AI. Been using it for a few hours this morning browsing and on audio books and it's at 95%. It kills any app taking up processing power, it's always killing facebook. Still weirded out when I point the camera at things in shopping mode and I have options on where to buy them.

Android 9 is way better too, love the work profile now that I can turn off from the drag down, come 5PM turn click that. it used to be buggy as shit and works fine now. I had to turn off work stuff altogether before.
                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-01-19, 10:46.

Comment

Siri, what are you doing? I put you back in your box. No I won’t sit down, relax and take a stress pill. I did not command you to start the drill and I certainly did not ask you to drill holes into my new P20. Wtf Siri. SIRI ??? DO NOT ACCESS APPLE and DO NOT BUY the new Iphone. SIRIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P20..Bleeeeep. SIRI has now been deactivated. WHO THE FK ARE YOU?

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Desperate for data on its competitors, Facebook has been secretly paying people to install a "Facebook Research" VPN that lets the company suck in all of

tl;dr facebook paying kids to install an app outside of app stores to get all their data.

Comment

Uncle of mine, moved to England prob 30 years ago, has an English wife and kids. He's from a small town in Kilkenny.

Massively in favour of Brexit - over the immigration and social welfare reasons.

Re the EU/May deal:
                        "Well the deal has to be ratified by our parliament and it was massively rejected so it’s not valid"
                        Re the EU shooting down any change of reopening the deal last night:

"That’s standard negotiation tactics. What do you expect them to say"
                        Re the severance cash:
                        Europe needs our 39 Billion.
                        The 39 billion is just a bit of it. When we leave, they lose one of the only five net contributors
                        Re the EU and why they need a UK deal:

Spain has highest unemployment in decades
                        Almost bankrupt
                        As is Portugal
                        Italy too"
                        Re how Europe needs them:

Germany last week just avoided recession and their new finance minister wrote a front page open letter asking the brits not to leave as we are needed
                        All these things might be correct in a vacuum, and I genuinley didnt consider him a delusional Brit...but I might have to reconsider.
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Ask him what he thinks the future trading relationship should be post-Brexit. He seems like a man who has all the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            That's strange, I've never called an ambulance without it being there in two or three minutes and me thinking, how the fuck have they managed that?
                            Waited for over an hour with a homeless guy who was knocked out on pavement after banging his head just before xmas. Only on Thomas st too, right by James's
                            airport, lol

Comment

Funnily enough that was one of the reasons I have rang before, they took a few minutes, and when they roused him he told them to fuck off and shambled off

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Cheltenham thoughts starting to sneak into the back of the mind.

Ease your constant nagging fear of missing out by entering the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp early. Then sit back, pour yourself a drink and congratulate yourself on your perspicacity.

Spam to follow at regular intervals. Don't be fooled by cheap imitiations.
                                RD your perspicacity is exceeded only by your perpiscuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                  those big words are tough to use correctly, and even tougher to spell correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                    It has frequently been remarked upon in HHE circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Ask him what he thinks the future trading relationship should be post-Brexit. He seems like a man who has all the answers.
                                      The right to walk away under WTO
                                      I guess he sees the WTO as the saviour.
                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

We're so back

Originally posted by Churchill
                                        "“How is it that the great English parties are shaken to their foundations, and even shattered, almost every generation, by contact with Irish affairs? ....Whence does this mysterious power of Ireland come?

found this pretty interesting today.
                                        I've long held the suspicion this will be a goldmine for some nefarious skulduggery

Later today I'm going to perform a public services and tweet out what the backstop text referred to in the 'Malthouse Compromise' would translate to on the ground in NI.

Okay, the first thing to say is that this is the alternative backstop text referenced. Do have a read: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/bf4...ern_135205.pdf

Second: I am going to suspend disbelief, and choose to accept that many things that don't exist, or would require significant negotiation, do: for example single window customs, drastically simplified rules of origin & that UK is allowed continued access to EU systems eg TRACES.

Right. As someone exporting goods to Northern Ireland under this protocol, the first thing I would notice is a drastic increase in the amount of admin. While there are zero tariffs, and simplified rules of origin ...

... I would need to pre-declare the goods I'm exporting to Ireland on a computer, or pay someone to do it for me. I would then await clearance, which under system envisioned here could be done pretty quickly.

But without inspection posts, how will they know if I'm telling the truth? This would be done using digital risk management, alongside a small percentage of random checks to keep the system honest.

he idea in this proposal is that if something seemed amiss, an inspection could either be carried out at the warehouse before I send my truck off, or at the destination point. Customs would come to me.

However, some questions remain.

How to deal with those that decide they're just not going to play ball, and ignore the new procedures? In practice this would require intelligence lead-policing and in all probability an increased frequency of random stop and search by officials.

The need for random stops and search could be reduced, and interventions made more targeted could be reduced if cameras were introduced at the border. But that would mean infrastructure.

Also, raiding warehouses behind the border in, say, South Armagh is not necessarily a more attractive proposition from a peace and stability point of view than stopping trucks at the border.

Of course, such enforcement already happens due to difference in VAT and Excise regimes between NI and Ireland, but the frequency would need to increase. Especially near the beginning, as in all likelihood lots will ignore new regime.

And let's not pretend enforcing existing measures is pain free (h/t @JP_Biz):
                                        A police officer remains in a critical condition after being hit by a lorry during an anti-smuggling operation.

On VAT, the proposal is silent. Which is strange, as outside EU VAT will be payable on all imports to the UK (and vice versa) prior to release from customs. There are different systems available to help, but it presents a very profitable smuggling opportunity for those inclined.

Now, so far we've just discussed customs. Now for some regs.

The proposal suggests that NI and Ireland maintain the same veterinary regimes for live animals, and remain in the same biosphere. Removing need for checks on live animals at the land border.

This is not true for products of animal origin. Instead it proposes an equivalence regime. UK officials would be able to certify that the milk I am producing is fit for sale in the EU.

EU law states that any imported product of animal origin must enter the EU territory via a veterinary border inspection post; it seems hear that suggestion is both parties would agree inspections could be done either at exporter or importer premises.

But what about products imported into NI and then shipped on to Ireland? It seems to me that even if milk, for example, produced on the island can be checked behind the border, veterinary border inspection posts will still be needed for goods entering via NI from elsewhere.

And again, you hit the policing issue. How to differentiate?

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now. Can you do it without physical infrastructure? Maybe. Can you do it without a significant uptick in 'associated checks'? I don't think so. Would it still constitute a border in many peoples' minds and be disruptive? I think yes.

Could something like this be phased in and work as a component part of the future relationship? Maybe.

Does it work as an ultimate fail-safe, and insurance policy for Northern Ireland, a backstop? I think not.

I would suggest that this is the sort of thing you come up with when your starting Q is not 'How do I ensure Brexit doesn't undermine stability in NI' but rather 'How do I get around this annoying commitment to no physical infrastructure so that we can get on with signing FTAs'.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Their delusional arrogance is amazing, talking about how no deal would be worse for Europe as the UK would buy fewer cars, and send over fewer tourists, all the while their businesses are talking about the risk to the UK's food supply, and the supply chain for all their manufacturing.

Plz jesus let them bounce out on a no deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                            Their delusional arrogance is amazing, talking about how no deal would be worse for Europe as the UK would buy fewer cars, and send over fewer tourists, all the while their businesses are talking about the risk to the UK's food supply, and the supply chain for all their manufacturing.

Plz jesus let them bounce out on a no deal.
                                            Turnip soup, can of spam and a pint of real ale. Proper British food for proper British men.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                              Turnip soup, can of spam and a pint of real ale. Proper British food for proper British men.
                                              Isn't spam American?

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 30-01-19, 18:23.

Comment

Back at base at last!

Comment

The Luke Kelly statue on Sherrif street is not what I expected, very quirky, I like it.

Will make my way to South Anne Street tommorow.

Comment

Have a foreign friend that staying with me for a week in Dublin soon. Will be on her own for the weekdays while I am working.

Any recommendations for each of the 5 days?

All I got so far from thinking is:

- Guinness storehouse
                                                        - Stephens green/ Grafton Street / Christchurch cathedral walk
                                                        - temple bar
                                                        - phoenix park / Zoo

Really not much to see/do in Dublin huh
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Storehouse, teelings, brazen head, St Michan's Church jameson and cobblestone is a decent day's site seeing and boozing.
                                                          St Michan's is probably best seen with a few pints on board to appreciate the guides ghoulish act
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Christchurch, Dublin Castle, cathedral walk, Chester Beatty grafton St and pub hopping is another

Comment

Maybe I should have clarified that there will be no drinking involved
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                Maybe I should have clarified that there will be no drinking involved
                                                                GAB had a good post somewhere about all the good sightseeing things in Dublin

Comment

Have a foreign friend that staying with me for a week in Dublin soon. Will be on her own for the weekdays while I am working.

- Guinness storehouse
                                                                  - temple bar
                                                                  - phoenix park / Zoo

Ok, I'll say it...

Pics?
                                                                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                    GAB had a good post somewhere about all the good sightseeing things in Dublin
                                                                    Anyone kind enough to give me a link, went through his posts from 2018 but can't see anything. On phone so can't search properly.

Comment

Just checked into a hotel. So far, so normal.

Went up to my room. No manifestations of Hitch-like mania.

I looked at the nightstand and noticed two books, where normally only one. The first - the bible. Normal enough. The second - The Book of Mormon. WTF? Are hotel chains promulgating Mormonism now? Are Mormons checking in and leaving their literature lying around?

Just about to delve in now and explore the nuttiness.

Comment

Anyone kind enough to give me a link, went through his posts from 2018 but can't see anything. On phone so can't search properly.
                                                                        ...This is what he posted, so apologies for lack of dots in it...

I created this a few years ago in Evernote and still had it to hand and it is still likely relevant. Event, Location, Opening/Tour Times etc.

Little Museum Of Dublin, 15 Stephens Grn (Crnr Dawson St), Tours on the hour
                                                                        Natural History Museum, Merrion Square, 9 - 5
                                                                        National Museum, Kildare Street, 9 - 5
                                                                        National Gallery, Clare Street, 9.30 - 5.30
                                                                        Long Room TCD, CC, 9.30 - 5
                                                                        Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, 9 - 5
                                                                        Kilmainham Jail, Inchicore Road/Kilmainham, 9.30 - 5
                                                                        Hugh Lane Gallery, Charlemount Hse, Parnell Sqr North, 10 - 5
                                                                        Glasnevin Cemetry, Glasnevin, Tours Daily at 11.30am + 2.30pm
                                                                        Dublin Castle & Chester Beatty Library, Dublin Castle, 10 to 5
                                                                        St Patricks Cathederal, Patricks Street, Tours at 10.30/11.30/2.30/3/3.30
                                                                        Christchurch, Christchurch, Tours 11am + 2pm
                                                                        The Aras, Saturday Tours

Comment

Dublin castle is a great tour. Did it one time while waiting to meet friends in Dublin. Only an hour or so.

Wax museum is cool.

Leprechaun museum for laugh and let your childish imagination run away with you.

The zoo obvs.

Can get a kayak on the liffey, the base is down near custom house, weather permitting of course.

Jameson tour worth doing, Guinness is meh.

Viking splash tour for a lol.

Trinity, book of kells etc.

National Gallery.

Dublinia in Christchurch cathedral.

Natural history museum.

Kilmainham Gaol one of the best tours I've ever done.

Comment

- Guinness storehouse
                                                                            - temple bar
                                                                            - phoenix park / Zoo

...If she needs some company one of the evenings, i'm free Monday-Wednesday :-) ...

Comment

...

Comment

Any of ye with kids in school do a really hard maths test.. 1st year. Top 10 picked.. Those 10 then sent off to be in a panel of 50 throughout Ireland to compete against each other, fairly chuffed to find out today mia was one of the top 10 in her school. Irish and English side combined. She may not make the top 50 but still absolutely delighted she made the cut.

Higest score from 95 was 62 she got 49. Think was 5th.

So proud. Especially when she says she loves maths and I fucking detested it!

Must be this yoke
                                                                                Last edited by SatNav; 30-01-19, 23:15.
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Also probably tell her to avoid temple bar. Wouldn't recommend it to a friend visiting Dublin. It's just a kip

Comment

Some awesome suggestions there, thanks lads.

Swtchy

Comment

The Dublin pass might be value to her if she's going to cram in a lot of touristy stuff. I've bought it before and it's value if you get to about 3 of the places a day.

Comment

Just watched first ep of new true detective.
                                                                                        Powerful hour of TV. Definitely gonna binge that

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                          Any of ye with kids in school do a really hard maths test.. 1st year. Top 10 picked.. Those 10 then sent off to be in a panel of 50 throughout Ireland to compete against each other, fairly chuffed to find out today mia was one of the top 10 in her school. Irish and English side combined. She may not make the top 50 but still absolutely delighted she made the cut.

Higest score from 95 was 62 she got 49. Think was 5th.

So proud. Especially when she says she loves maths and I fucking detested it!

Must be this yoke
                                                                                          http://corkmaths.ie/?page_id=14
                                                                                          Young fellow did a few years of them, Olympiad or something ?

He got a few days out to the big smoke for the national comps and goody bags.
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

another film round up:

Can you ever forgive me? Really enjoyed this one. Good story and fantastic performances all round 7.5/10

Piercing. Debut film for a filmmaker with a lot of potential. Beautifully shot and slightly disturbing 6/10 Genre Noir

The girl in the spider's web. Not as good as the book but moves at a decent clip and is entertaining 6/10

Boy Erased. Dull 3/10

Widows. Enjoyable and entertaining 7/10

Comment

Tories flying a couple of interesting kites overnight.
                                                                                                Reaching out to c.20 Labour MP's in strong leave constituencies, probably all the ones who voted against the Cooper amendment and a few more, with cash / investment for votes offer. Then Hunt comes out to do an interview feigning shock and horror that anyone could possibly think that the GFA wasn't always front and center of their priorities
                                                                                                Then he then starts mentioning the Malthouse and technology proposals before saying they are looking for a few days of radio silence to allow room to come up with the 'alternative arrangements'.

Could it be that they are going to try to shoehorn in something that would acknowledge that the GFA supersedes all future EU UK arrangements, handwaves at technological and technocratic solutions for the border in return for a time limited backstop?
                                                                                                The problem is that would mean that in the event of any EU UK trade deal that would avoid a hard border then the border is pushed into the Irish sea. Even if you don't write it explicitly in black and white Arlene and Co. are too bull thick to accept the win win for NI and even if May can buy 20 labour votes to push a deal through you won't be able to get them to vote confidence in the government after Mar 29.
                                                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 31-01-19, 09:29.

Comment

- Guinness storehouse
                                                                                                  - temple bar
                                                                                                  - phoenix park / Zoo

National Gallery. Free and you can spend hours there easily.
                                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Watched Green Book last night and loved it. Good story. Some great lines. And excellent chemistry with the 2 lads, came across as very natural

Comment

Tories flying a couple of interesting kites overnight.
                                                                                                      Reaching out to c.20 Labour MP's in strong leave constituencies, probably all the ones who voted against the Cooper amendment and a few more, with cash / investment for votes offer. Then Hunt comes out to do an interview feigning shock and horror that anyone could possibly think that the GFA wasn't always front and center of their priorities
                                                                                                      Then he then starts mentioning the Malthouse and technology proposals before saying they are looking for a few days of radio silence to allow room to come up with the 'alternative arrangements'.

Could it be that they are going to try to shoehorn in something that would acknowledge that the GFA supersedes all future EU UK arrangements, handwaves at technological and technocratic solutions for the border in return for a time limited backstop?
                                                                                                      The problem is that would mean that in the event of any EU UK trade deal that would avoid a hard border then the border is pushed into the Irish sea. Even if you don't write it explicitly in black and white Arlene and Co. are too bull thick to accept the win win for NI and even if May can buy 20 labour votes to push a deal through you won't be able to get them to vote confidence in the government after Mar 29.
                                                                                                      They should offer them a backstop limited to 50 years.

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                      Watched Green Book last night and loved it. Good story. Some great lines. And excellent chemistry with the 2 lads, came across as very natural
                                                                                                      Glad to hear that, was thinking of going to see it next week.

Comment

I see EU reps are over to discuss what happens in the event of no deal, should that not have been done first and then work backwards from there?
                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 31-01-19, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          Just watched first ep of new true detective.
                                                                                                          Powerful hour of TV. Definitely gonna binge that
                                                                                                          I never got around to watching Season 2 yet because i heard a lot of mixed reports about it. Can i watch Season 3, and then see about watching Season 2 after it, or are they connected in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            I never got around to watching Season 2 yet because i heard a lot of mixed reports about it. Can i watch Season 3, and then see about watching Season 2 after it, or are they connected in any way?
                                                                                                            No connection. 2 is OK if you're really stuck. Nowhere near 1
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

I think the problem with one was the mythos all seems rather pointless by the end.
                                                                                                              SO you were expecting a similar journey on two and instead got a standard by the book procedural.
                                                                                                              Tbh, I think two gets a load of unnecessary flack. Both the stand alone elements and slight genre change was shock to viewers who were expecting more of the same spookiness.

Comment

Sent a screen shot of a WhatsApp group to the WhatsApp group. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  Sent a screen shot of a WhatsApp group to the WhatsApp group. Sigh.
                                                                                                                  You did or your Grandad did

Comment

Comment

It'll be interesting to see when the caravans are scheduled to arrive

Comment

Not sure if they're trying to outdo Gillette or what

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Former Irish international rugby player Brian O’Driscoll and former English international and World Cup winning rugby player Lawrence Dallaglio were at St. J...
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 31-01-19, 16:09.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X