Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's honestly hilarious
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
      I am not sure this is in the same realm but may be of interest to her. Ryanair is currently advertising for Tech Services Engineer programme which primarily seems to be looking for a technology degree of some sort.

Opr
      That's pretty cool, seems to be a lot of related jobs, courses, apprenticeships in that field.

Candidates must have qualified in 2017 or 2018
      Pity she won't qualify as I'm sure physics will have changed loads in the last 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Off-topic, if indeed anything can be off-topic, but the growth of solar energy is ridic. Who would have thought all those hot countries were sitting on a goldmine. China last year installed the equivalent of the entire French energy market in renewable energy, mostly solar. They're far from not polluting the world, but its still a notable thing.

Mexico building power not walls at ridic low costs.

Currently working on planning for the largest solar farm in the Country. Been quite a lot permitted over last 18 months here but still none built in Ireland but few moving forward to construction now.

Comment

Just got tickets for macbeth, anybody seen this version? http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/inde...rtist/macbeth1

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            Just got tickets for macbeth, anybody seen this version? http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/inde...rtist/macbeth1
            Going Sat week so don't spoiier the end pls.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

that's honestly hilarious
              The best part is the Irish woman @ 0:50s in who's flabbergasted and actually watched jaws the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                The best part is the Irish woman @ 0:50s in who's flabbergasted and actually watched jaws the same day.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  After attending The Betting Forum, good man.
                  You haven't offered me the right appearance fee yet.

My seminar on 'AW jockey bookings and when to increase your stake 10x' is marvelled at by all who hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    Thatsthejoke.jpg
                    I enjoyed the anticipation on waiting for this to be posted.Then I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it.
                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The final table of the PSC streaming. 5 million up top and the top 6 all become millionaires. Shakerchi the first player just eliminated with a sick beat holding AA against AQ all in preflop.

Cards up coverage of the final table of the PokerStars NLH Player Championship. Keep it cool, Keep it fun, Play Responsibly: https://www.pokerstars.net/about...

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        The final table of the PSC streaming. 5 million up top and the top 6 all become millionaires. Shakerchi the first player just eliminated with a sick beat holding AA against AQ all in preflop.

Cards up coverage of the final table of the PokerStars NLH Player Championship. Keep it cool, Keep it fun, Play Responsibly: https://www.pokerstars.net/about...

Opr
                        Thanks for sharing, RDIII clearly enjoying the stream too.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                          Thanks for sharing, RDIII clearly enjoying the stream too
                          Are you watching the current hand? Talk about ICM suicide. How does he shove AJ in that spot? It is a 250k pay jump.

Edit - This ICM situation with the 2bb stack is creating some epic situations. Fair play to Martini for going for it on the river.

Opr
                          Last edited by Opr; 10-01-19, 20:01.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Has anyone tried those blue light blocking glasses?
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Didn't think they were this badly paid to be fair.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  The Japanese work for 40 years to design a blue LED, win the Nobel prize for it, now cunce want glasses to block it out!

Comment

Comment

Goodnight Granpa.

congrats

Comment

According to PayScale.com, the median salary for a registered nurse (RN) in the UK is £23,000. With bonuses, and other compensation, an RN with less than 20 years of experience may earn up to £34,105. Nurses with more than 20 years of experience can expect to make 15% more than these average amounts.
                                        I've no idea why you chose this hill hitch

Comment

It's €38k a year - and that's with her taking some parental leave to reduce her hours to 36 a week.

Maybe you think thats low pay, but its huge by any international comparison for nursing.

Absolute top of the nurse pay scale in the UK is €31,000. Senior nurse with 10 years experience in France earns €28,000.
                                          42k full time equivalent which would take a PhD, couple of years postdocing and a couple of points on the lecturer scale to get to. Not exactly overflowing with sympathy.

Comment

Comment

They wouldn't happen to be having any sort of major staffing crisis for nurses in the UK or anything would they?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wow
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

We need PSV to do a review for the sake of completeness, but this is fairly optimistic about the future of meatless burgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auo_fDH0ZWo
                                                        Googled “is impossible burger envrontally friendly “ and here’s my cut and paste job from the 1st result tldr-no

Impossible Foods’ meatless burger is marketed as a healthy and environmentally responsible choice.
                                                        The key ingredient that gives the Impossible Burger its meaty taste and makes it bleed like meat when cut is soy leghemoglobin (SLH), derived from genetically engineered yeast.
                                                        The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) refused to sign off on the safety of SLH, which has never been in the human food supply before.
                                                        The FDA is also concerned that SLH may be an allergen.
                                                        The Impossible Burger contains a number of other ingredients that are derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
                                                        Some ingredients in the Burger are highly processed and are produced in industrial vats (“fermentation”).
                                                        The GM yeast must be grown in a nutrient-rich broth made of chemically synthesized ingredients that are themselves industrially manufactured.
                                                        Overall, the manufacturing processes for the Impossible Burger are materials-hungry and energy-hungry. These facts are being ignored in promotional claims about the environmental impact of the Burger.
                                                        The Impossible Burger represents the opposite of what today’s health-aware and environmentally conscious consumers want from their food: pure, natural, non-GMO ingredients that are transparently sourced

I’ll pass. Tech bros aren’t gonna save us from shit

Comment

Lol, Bezos didn’t have a prenup, hope he gets rinsed

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                            42k full time equivalent which would take a PhD, couple of years postdocing and a couple of points on the lecturer scale to get to. Not exactly overflowing with sympathy.
                                                            Given the similarity I would have thought you would be ideal position to sympathize \ empathize. Looking at what the top tier earn in third level, and considering how inept some of them are, surely you are aggrieved at the inequality.

Comment

What a call
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

We need PSV to do a review for the sake of completeness, but this is fairly optimistic about the future of meatless burgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auo_fDH0ZWo
                                                                Beyond Burgers just came to Ireland to Tesco, expensive as fuck but really good. Will give this Impossible 2.0 a go in a few months in NY.
                                                                To your grandkids you'll be the crazy old man that ate meat from real animals, as they pat your head over their lab grown steaks.

I have a pair and I really like them, really reduced any tiredness to non-existent but I imagine I'm at a computer much more than you. Mine also have a small magnification which I really love.

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                Googled “is impossible burger envrontally friendly “ and here’s my cut and paste job from the 1st result tldr-no

Impossible Foods’ meatless burger is marketed as a healthy and environmentally responsible choice.
                                                                The key ingredient that gives the Impossible Burger its meaty taste and makes it bleed like meat when cut is soy leghemoglobin (SLH), derived from genetically engineered yeast.
                                                                The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) refused to sign off on the safety of SLH, which has never been in the human food supply before.
                                                                The Impossible Burger contains a number of other ingredients that are derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
                                                                Some ingredients in the Burger are highly processed and are produced in industrial vats (“fermentation”).
                                                                The GM yeast must be grown in a nutrient-rich broth made of chemically synthesized ingredients that are themselves industrially manufactured.
                                                                Overall, the manufacturing processes for the Impossible Burger are materials-hungry and energy-hungry. These facts are being ignored in promotional claims about the environmental impact of the Burger.
                                                                The Impossible Burger represents the opposite of what today’s health-aware and environmentally conscious consumers want from their food: pure, natural, non-GMO ingredients that are transparently sourced

They got FDA approval. GMO's are good. Fermentation isn't a scary word.

Comment

Solid evening of dining, drinking and gambooling with the Horse Head Elite.

Sad to see the current state of the Sporting Aquarium. RIP.

Comment

Reads like a chem-trails post on facebook, making an argument with buzzwords.. Nothing wrong with "fermentation".

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-01-19, 06:33.

Comment

And I don't mind if nurses are paid more. Why not? I just think depriving ill people of operations to get more money is a shitty thing to do.
                                                                          Why is it the nurses fault, if they paid them there'd be no strike and all the operations. Convenient strikes don't have same impact.
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

''This review was not written by Big Cow, no sireee, nothing to see here. Moove along'

Comment

Nurses would have to be extremely desperate to make this move. I'm finding it difficult to think in any way bad of that group of people.

Right behind you though Hitch when it comes to Luas and Bus drivers. They can go fuck themselves when they're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                Why is it the nurses fault, if they paid them there'd be no strike and all the operations. Convenient strikes don't have same impact.
                                                                                I agree convenient strikes don't have the same impact but I think leveraging the well-being of people in order to accomplish it is different than the mass disruption caused by train or bus drivers for example.
                                                                                Productivity will be affected and major disruption caused but no one will potentially die as a direct result.

Healthcare workers striking in this way may have a direct adverse impact on innocent bystanders.
                                                                                It's a difficult situation as we all know, it's a tough job and irrespective of Hitch's point around median salaries globally, it still seems inadequate to me.
                                                                                That said, I still think a mass action like this has too many potentially adverse consequences and shouldn't be implemented given they're already stretched at this point.

Comment

It's not inequality though. Higher performance in academia earns higher wages. Full prof positions are then the reward for going through those hoops. How are they inept?
                                                                                  Could quote plenty of articles on falling world rankings, poor value for puplic money, gender wars, etc but this one sums it up for me. It's event better than the story on the ULs presidential residence.

Who will be held accountable for this clusterfuck? Have most profs in Ireland bnen through a performance system or did they just get auto increments related to time served? Tell us more of these hoops ye jump through.

Last edited by Wombatman; 11-01-19, 08:12.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Don't be swayed but Hitch's promise of lower taxes for everyone. Sure how would we pay for free education then?

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-01-19, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              Given the similarity I would have thought you would be ideal position to sympathize \ empathize. Looking at what the top tier earn in third level, and considering how inept some of them are, surely you are aggrieved at the inequality.
                                                                                              Pretty much everyone who I've encountered to date has been at the right grade for their competence. There's a tough interview process to jump through the grades and a full professor will have a made a serious contribution over a long career. Some of them might be dicks but they'll have earned their way there.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I saw some incredibly inefficient things when working there. But the education outcomes are excellent. And thats what unis are judged on. That small journalism course you note is the absolute exception. Hence why it was newsworthy.
                                                                                                We are not falling the others are just rising. LOL.

It's news worthy because it is a complete farce and the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure the students involved had to jump through hoops to get a remedy. If more students were this capable we would see a lot more of these cases.

Gender wars. Again the tip of the iceberg.

I’m not defending the health service, just my point that those in third level who preside are too well paid and it shouldn't be a surprise that those at the bottom appeal for more. A similar inequality exists in the health service. Surely those lower down in both sectors should be capable of empathising with eachother given their similar circumstances.

Comment

No education in Ireland at any level is free! Irish uni fees are second highest in Europe. But its your money, so if you think its a good idea that people graduate at 22 with €40k then thats what democracy is all about. Seems like a highly stoopid idea though. Only the lovely Tories of all European parties like the idea of indentured youth, and I'm not sure they're the best role models.
                                                                                                  Knew I should have used the rolleyes emoji.

Comment

...

Comment

The Trump collusion noose is being pulled tight very fast.

Collusion is now an established fact - with Russian intelligence (which means Putin OK'd it). The election interference is an established fact. Trump's campaign manager, his son and his personal lawyer all being directly implicated are established facts.

The only piece of the puzzle left is Trump's direct involvement.

And then it's this:

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                        I agree convenient strikes don't have the same impact but I think leveraging the well-being of people in order to accomplish it is different than the mass disruption caused by train or bus drivers for example.
                                                                                                        Productivity will be affected and major disruption caused but no one will potentially die as a direct result.

Healthcare workers striking in this way may have a direct adverse impact on innocent bystanders.
                                                                                                        It's a difficult situation as we all know, it's a tough job and irrespective of Hitch's point around median salaries globally, it still seems inadequate to me.
                                                                                                        That said, I still think a mass action like this has too many potentially adverse consequences and shouldn't be implemented given they're already stretched at this point.
                                                                                                        Siptu arent joining in
                                                                                                        This is interesting...
                                                                                                        “We do not believe that stepping outside process will deliver what we want to achieve over the short to medium term," Mr Bell told RTÉ Radio 1’s Today programme. “This year, in September, there's a 1.75% pay increase due under the Public Service Agreement and in October next year there's a 2% agreed pay increase due. We are also concerned that if we get involved in disputes outside of process that those payments will be withheld from our members. Government are indicating that to us all the time.

“We’re pursuing the strategy of making sure that our members are getting the benefits of the public service agreements and indeed whatever comes out of future negotiations."
                                                                                                        Speaking on the same programme, Dave Hughes, Deputy Secretary General of the INMO said Siptu was entitled to its opinion but what his members are seeking is pay restoration following recession-era cuts, not pay increases.

So is it a pay restoration?
                                                                                                        That kind of murders your theory of market value Herr Hitch

Comment

Is this that classic pivot the argument move? I like it!

First thank DPs fake news then rather than mentally accept he suckered you into confirmatory bias, decide to instead introduce a whole new argument.

But to answer your question, UK doesn't have a notably different shortage of nurses to anywhere else. They carry out operations efficiently and quickly, and have low A&E wait times that would be the envy of Irish people - who have both way more nurses per capita and pay them way more.
                                                                                                          I thanked his post for the 'rock to perish on' line rather than the figures, because I think your argument is a strange one to pick and that your attempts to use UK nurse pay as a sort of illustration of the 'market rate' for pay is slightly weird.

I think it's worth pointing out that while your conversion of £28,746 to €31,772.44 is the number Google gives, if you were to use the exchange rate on the 1/1/16, i.e. a few months before the Brexit vote which has sent the country into a spiralling mess, the conversion would have come out at ~€39,000.

I think if someone was making an argument around UK wages for something you took the opposite opinion on you would think this was a salient point.

On the other matter, if I put 'NHS Staffing' into Google I see:

NHS suffering worst ever staff and cash crisis, figures show
                                                                                                          NHS 'could be short of 350,000 staff by 2030'
                                                                                                          NHS staff shortages could reach 250 000 by 2030 without urgent ...
                                                                                                          The Government is failing to address NHS staff shortages says RCN ...
                                                                                                          Training nurses in Eastern Europe 'could solve the NHS staffing crisis ...
                                                                                                          NHS staff vacancies rise nearly 10% in three months amid unfolding ‘national emergency’, report shows
                                                                                                          Siva Anandaciva, chief analyst at the King’s Fund think tank, said the figures show the NHS is heading for another “tough winter”, adding: “Widespread and growing nursing shortages now risk becoming a national emergency and are symptomatic of a long-term failure in workforce planning, which has been exacerbated by the impact of Brexit and short-sighted immigration policies.”

There were 11,576 vacant doctors posts and 41,722 unfilled nursing jobs in English trusts – with the biggest nursing gaps (14.8 per cent of posts) in London where cost of living makes recruitment even harder.

The number of nursing vacancies rose by 5,928 (17 per cent) in three months and the Royal College of Nursing said the government should immediately investigate the sudden rise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8532701.html
                                                                                                          Similarly in Ireland where:

Four nursing jobs are available in Ireland for every qualified nurse applying, the latest Health Service Executive figures show.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...work-1.3573125
                                                                                                          Like, if you want to use the 'market rates' line then work away, but if we were talking about four jobs for every applicant to economic researcher posts I would think the conclusion we would reach is that the market rates aren't high enough to attract sufficient numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                            Reads like a chem-trails post on facebook, making an argument with buzzwords.. Nothing wrong with "fermentation".
                                                                                                            Fermentation in vats though. Evil stuff!
                                                                                                            Hey made it clear I was posting the 1st search result ! I know there’s nothing wrong with fermentation. The main concerning part of that was the FDA concerns, I see FDA have since approved that soy constituent for use (without the concerns really being addressed from what I can see)
                                                                                                            I suppose the thing that really matters is the the cost of fossil fuel energy per calorie produced. If it’s way lower than real meat then yay I guess. Though I’m still not going to eat it for the same reason I won’t eat calvita cheese slices

Comment

“I’m saying this would be (an) incredibly damaging breach of trust and it would also be very bad for Britain’s reputation abroad, having decided to leave the EU, if we in the end for whatever reasons found we weren’t able to do it.”
                                                                                                              A frankly astounding statement from Jeremy Hunt

Comment

Was looking into getting them. I've been using f.lux for about 10 years now which does the job.

Read a book recently by the guy that discovered the effects of blue light on sleep, mad discovery in terms of impact, every (?) device nowadays has a setting to reduce it at night time. I've my hue lights set up for extra blue in the morning, and reduced blue at night, probably makes fuck all difference considering my sleep pattern.

Comment

Nurse friend of mine was saying that she will still work during the strike but won't be paid? Is that a regular occurrence?

She was actually asking me advice because the different unions are striking different days, so she's not sure about passing the picket and the wtr aspects of it.

"speaking a different language there"

Comment

Seems like the big issue is that €38,000 is decent pay for someone with a degree, as long as they don't live in Dublin. Its that €38,000 isn't a huge amount of money in Dublin.

As said though, the key point is its your money. The budget is balanced - meaning every penny in is being spent. If you want to spend future surplus money on increasing nurse pay thats a valid decision.

Personally think its better to give generalised tax breaks that benefit everyone, rather than just spending it on the groups that shout loudest (and promise nothing in return). Don't get why a nurse on €38k deserves a pay increase and not a builder on €38k. Which is what is proposed to happen, as there won't be any money left for the builder to benefit from a tax break.
                                                                                                                    Sorry Hitch I missed this post on the way through - I would say I'm totally open to being convinced that generalised tax breaks are a better way to go (surprise surprise) but in fairness I don't think necessarily think it's up to the nurses unions to agitate for tax breaks for builders if you know what I mean.

On the subject of the balanced budget I would say if we are happy that there isn't a penny being wasted anywhere and the only way to increase the pay of nurses is for me to pay more tax, I would find it far less painful than most other reasons to have to fork out more.

They should probably fire Ryan Tubridy into the sun and give his portion of my TV license to a nurse.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                      Sorry Hitch I missed this post on the way through - I would say I'm totally open to being convinced that generalised tax breaks are a better way to go (surprise surprise) but in fairness I don't think necessarily think it's up to the nurses unions to agitate for tax breaks for builders if you know what I mean.

On the subject of the balanced budget I would say if we are happy that there isn't a penny being wasted anywhere and the only way to increase the pay of nurses is for me to pay more tax, I would find it far less painful than most other reasons to have to fork out more.

They should probably fire Ryan Tubridy into the sun and give his portion of my TV license to a nurse.
                                                                                                                      Think we should take it out of the budget for the army.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                        Pretty much everyone who I've encountered to date has been at the right grade for their competence. There's a tough interview process to jump through the grades and a full professor will have a made a serious contribution over a long career. Some of them might be dicks but they'll have earned their way there.
                                                                                                                        I was taught by one guy who was just there because he brought money to the university, a lot of it. He was caught stealing lab equipment and selling it online and nothing happened to him. The lab technicians organised a sting to see who was stealing. He was absolutely useless.

Another guy was fired because he never showed up for class...because he was teaching in two universities at once, secretly. At least he had a book out and did research and was good at it.

Brother doing phd talks of how rife it is that even people he admired before getting this far, have been completely fudging their research, making stuff up. Universities put up with it because they are high profile names now, off the back off publishing nonsense and the prestige is more important than silly old facts anyway.
                                                                                                                        I guess it is serious perceived contribution that matters. A lot easier to do this stuff outside a hard science I guess, as his more humanities science.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 11-01-19, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                          Think we should take it out of the budget for the army.
                                                                                                                          How about just benchmarking PS salaries and conditions to the (western) EU average?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X