Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
    Depends on line obv. We are up to 100 mg, I have 70 mg. Perfect. Can never understand why people get so obsessed with I have 200 mg etc. Lad came in other day bragging about his 1k mg with siro. I asked him was he running a factory he was that excited. Ffs anything in or around 50 mg imo serves its purpose
    I'm not looking for record speeds just the usual usage. Hearsay indicated sky was a bit shire but I'm getting sick of my virgin bill being a couple of quid more expensive every few months without notice.
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      @ DP - I'd imagine whatever you buy now will need to be left by for a few years for optimal drinking.
      oh..really?
      Was planning on semi posh xmas drinking.
      My impulse buy finger is twitchy but dunno if a case or two of wine would last the required maturation period
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
        Could as easily counter that the people that are so terrified of companies being able to direct personalised ads at them based on the information the devices collect are equally contempt-worthy; 'oh noes, Amazon now know that I ask about Man Utd all the time, they are going to send/show me ads for Man Utd stuff, I can't say no and now I'll be bankrupt' etc etc...

Grow a spine and learn to ignore the ways that big companies use your data to sell to you!

People who don't want anyone to have any data about their lives (no supermarket loyalty cards, don't buy online unless they can be anonymous, lie on their census, and so on) and are tinfoil-hat-paranoid about how the data is being used (hint: it will be used to sell to you, attempt to influence you and to 'nudge' your behaviour in various ways. Not a tragedy. Not a big deal. Just learn to deal with it) are much stranger than people who are more blase about letting their preferences and interests out there in the world IMHO.

To me it comes across as 'yes, I am a weak minded individual, who can be easily manipulated; please save me from myself'.

Obviously some of the above is a ridiculous counter argument
        I’m a big boy I can handle myself, but people letting amazon have access to the formative years of children who don’t have the capacity to make decisions about how much data they are giving away and are not informed on how it will be used is another matter.
        These things are worse than smartphones in many ways (well maybe on par if you are one of those fools who allows google assistant or Siri to always be listening )
        I’d almost understand if people were getting actual genuinely amazing time saving or life improving benefits but they are not , it’s all just cheap parlour tricks that are in no way worth what you are giving away.
        Can’t believe people still bringing out the aul tinfoil references in these conversations btw we are surely way past that (and yes I do see the winking smiley at the end of your post)

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
          Is that for use in Tesco?
          Yeah I think it's in the Independent as well.

Comment

Speaking of wine, had a tasting menu lunch here in Lyon a few weeks ago. Food was decent, only 59 for 6 courses, one brilliant dish in a celery risotto, the standout item was this white though. My wife who finds wine agreeable but doesnt love it, ordered a case because it was so good. Its from outside perpignan and worth sampling for anyone interested.

Rouges, blancs, rosés… mais toujours bio ! Vinsnature a sélectionné pour vous les meilleurs crus du Languedoc-Roussillon.

Comment

I’m completely out of touch with what’s been going on here but I assume given recent climate change reports people here have given up on the hope that our tech god overlords are gonna make all the bad stuff go away and solve it all with minimal disruption to our decadent lifestyles?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                I’m completely out of touch with what’s been going on here but I assume given recent climate change reports people here have given up on the hope that our tech god overlords are gonna make all the bad stuff go away and solve it all with minimal disruption to our decadent lifestyles?
                Was that a thing?

Comment

I’m a big boy I can handle myself, but people letting amazon have access to the formative years of children who don’t have the capacity to make decisions about how much data they are giving away and are not informed on how it will be used is another matter.
                  These things are worse than smartphones in many ways (well maybe on par if you are one of those fools who allows google assistant or Siri to always be listening )
                  I’d almost understand if people were getting actual genuinely amazing time saving or life improving benefits but they are not , it’s all just cheap parlour tricks that are in no way worth what you are giving away.
                  Can’t believe people still bringing out the aul tinfoil references in these conversations btw we are surely way past that (and yes I do see the winking smiley at the end of your post)
                  What are the consequences?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    What are the consequences?
                    Children thinking their needs can be gratified instantly by barking orders at an inanimate object ,loss of the private space that is crucial to healthy development, the whole (tinfoil alert) surveillance issue(/tinfoil)
                    This article sums it up pretty well I think https://theintercept.com/2018/05/11/...rom-your-kids/

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      Was that a thing?
                      Yep, want there not a few musk fanboys here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        @ DP - I'd imagine whatever you buy now will need to be left by for a few years for optimal drinking.
                        If it's 2015 or older, then swig away imo.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Yep, want there not a few musk fanboys here?
                          I doubt anyone thought Elon Musk was going to save the world from climate change?

I would have thought the majority sentiment on IPB would have been that climate change is a serious problem that needs serious solutions.

Comment

Children thinking their needs can be gratified instantly by barking orders at an inanimate object ,loss of the private space that is crucial to healthy development, the whole (tinfoil alert) surveillance issue(/tinfoil)
                            This article sums it up pretty well I think https://theintercept.com/2018/05/11/...rom-your-kids/
                            80 years ago you would have been warning of the terrible consequences of radio, 50 years ago, about television, and at some point too about rock and roll.

Comment

Can someone call social services for me please? I have an echo and in the kids Christmas gift pile is an echo dot each. I am fed up with them fighting over the music and we have a spotify family account and can listen away in their rooms to their hearts content.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                Can someone call social services for me please? I have an echo and in the kids Christmas gift pile is an echo dot each. I am fed up with them fighting over the music and we have a spotify family account and can listen away in their rooms to their hearts content.
                                You can prob ask Alexa to call social services for you

Comment

80 years ago you would have been warning of the terrible consequences of radio, 50 years ago, about television, and at some point too about rock and roll.
                                  The anti tv people weren’t that incorrect really though

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                    Virgin too dear. 59 a month now for standard BB. What's the wisest move?
                                    The smartest move is to ring virgin loyalty team and get 6 or 9 months half price (saying you are unhappy with the price increase and wish for a deal or to cancel), and avoid moving to the other shit broadband providers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      The smartest move is to ring virgin loyalty team and get 6 or 9 months half price (saying you are unhappy with the price increase and wish for a deal or to cancel), and avoid moving to the other shit broadband providers.
                                      Eir broadband does the trick for me??? 50 quid a month plus free eir sport never had a prob with it (though they might lose bt sport next Summer)
                                      Last edited by Guest; 30-11-18, 15:58.

Comment

It’s not like people are going to suddenly stop going outside playing sports and socializing and watch sports and text each other instead. Otherwise you’d end up with a huge obesity epidemic and higher rates of introversion with children.

Anyhoo...on the plus side to these internet overlords this website is good for a challenge. 100% in 37seconds is the best we can manage.
                                        There are 32 counties on the island. The Republic of Ireland comprises 26 counties, while Northern Ireland accounts for the remaining 6 counties. In Northern Ireland, counties are no longer used for local government; districts are instead used.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Good to see you back, we put the bat signal out for you a couple of weeks ago.

Now, where's careca?
                                          Ah fair fucks Lazare, only one to think of me. My 2 Kerry 'mates' haven't even realised I'm missing.

Still read here a good bit but new job at work means I don't have anywhere like the spare time I used to.

Hope all good with everyone.

Comment

You can prob ask Alexa to call social services for you
                                            Touché

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                              The son who plays Fortnite is looking at gaming monitors. Now, the one he initially saw was the one here

He then said it wont be any good as it doesn't have g-sync, but on reading reviews it says there wasn't much difference between this monitor and the Asus Rog g-sync.

I was just about to buy the one above and now not too sure. If any of you lovely people could look and tell me what you think/know

Cheers!
                                              Anyone?

Comment

TBH that monitor looks fine to me; it isn't like he's going to compete in the world Fortnite championships and needs something with absolutely zero ghosting. I would buy a cheaper monitor and not give it another thought, he should be grateful for having such an accommodating mother!

Comment

TBH that monitor looks fine to me; it isn't like he's going to compete in the world Fortnite championships and needs something with absolutely zero ghosting. I would buy a cheaper monitor and not give it another thought, he should be grateful for having such an accommodating mother!
                                                  He does compete in competitions though. I am happy enough to get that one, but he was pointing out another one that was €40 dearer. I didn't know what he meant when he said it would rip the monitor. Think that is the term he used. I am not a gamer at all, so wouldn't know

Comment

He either meant RIP, as in the one you chose would be dead compared to his or that your monitor would have screen tearing, which is something that GSYNC prevents while at the same time not increasing delay. Realistically it doesn't matter much, €40 less in your pocket may give you a lot more piece of mind though.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      I doubt anyone thought Elon Musk was going to save the world from climate change?

I would have thought the majority sentiment on IPB would have been that climate change is a serious problem that needs serious solutions.
                                                      I've read some pieces in the past around extracting carbon from the atmosphere but it appears to be a long way away:
                                                      SPOILER

I suspect climate change is the most pressing issue of the next century. I can't think of anything that is more important to address

Comment

Could as easily counter that the people that are so terrified of companies being able to direct personalised ads at them based on the information the devices collect are equally contempt-worthy; 'oh noes, Amazon now know that I ask about Man Utd all the time, they are going to send/show me ads for Man Utd stuff, I can't say no and now I'll be bankrupt' etc etc...

)
                                                        I think it’ll be more along the lines of oh noes Alexa hears a few cold ones being popped open and my speech slurring, now it knows I’ve gone over the weekly puritanical government guidelines for alcohol by 1 unit),now they know that by the standards of some gimps who do triathlons and wear fitbits that I am a raging alcoholic they are going to send my info to health insurance companies who can jack up my premium etc

Comment

Tis only a matter of time

SPOILER
                                                          Alexa, suck my cock

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Looking forward to returning to the land of the contactless payment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                oh..really?
                                                                Was planning on semi posh xmas drinking.
                                                                My impulse buy finger is twitchy but dunno if a case or two of wine would last the required maturation period
                                                                Or am I being thick and you meant the rugrat
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

TIGER cheating again? This time it's golf.
                                                                    Scooping the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                      TIGER cheating again? This time it's golf.
                                                                      Scooping the ball.
                                                                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Despite the fact I have three twerps eagerly awaiting the kickoff, the Late Late Toy Show has to be the biggest pile of steaming consumerist excrement known to man.

In homage to PSV's return.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          Has this prop bet been posted here? Sounds way more difficult than it appears at first
                                                                          I read the 2+2 thread a few days ago and found it quite interesting.

Ridiculous that he is only getting 1:1 on his money for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Despite the fact I have three twerps eagerly awaiting the kickoff, the Late Late Toy Show has to be the biggest pile of steaming consumerist excrement known to man.

In homage to PSV's return.
                                                                            Drink. Laugh as a Coke riddled presenter physically assaults Billy Barry wannabes

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                              I read the 2+2 thread a few days ago and found it quite interesting.

Ridiculous that he is only getting 1:1 on his money for doing it.
                                                                              How many days in is he?

Comment

Jordan Peterson was on Joe Rogan again yesterday. He's still anti-Bolshevik and not a fan of Stalin

Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist and tenured professor of psychology at the University of Toronto.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlO...

The only bit I liked was near the end on kids and phones.

Comment

How many days in is he?
                                                                                  He started on Nov 21st.

Comment

The long read: Are you sitting comfortably? Many people are not – and there are some who insist the way we’ve been going to the toilet is all wrong

People often say pooping is taboo, but lately it seems more like a cultural fetish. There are poop emoji birthday parties for three-year-olds, people WhatsApping photos of their ordure to friends, TripAdvisor threads on how to avoid or avail yourself of squat toilets. Through the miracle of online media, you can now discover that, in the past year, both Brisbane, Australia and Colorado Springs, Colorado, suffered reigns of terror by mystery “pooping joggers” who ran around crapping on people’s lawns. There’s a whole YouTube subculture devoted to infiltrating restrooms with vintage toilets and surreptitiously flushing them over and over again (one of these channels has more than 16m views)

Christ, mind you that would be an improvement on most of what I get sent on whatsapp groups
                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 30-11-18, 21:55.

Comment

Jordan Peterson was on Joe Rogan again yesterday. He's still anti-Bolshevik and not a fan of Stalin

Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist and tenured professor of psychology at the University of Toronto.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlO...

The only bit I liked was near the end on kids and phones.
                                                                                      Is he still pimping his daughters nuts diet advice? Rogan is an awful bum licker too tbf

Comment

Is he still pimping his daughters nuts diet advice? Rogan is an awful bum licker too tbf
                                                                                        Not in that episode, but in the previous one he claims he's only consuming steak, salt and water. Best of luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                          I've read some pieces in the past around extracting carbon from the atmosphere but it appears to be a long way away:
                                                                                          SPOILER

I suspect climate change is the most pressing issue of the next century. I can't think of anything that is more important to address
                                                                                          Food shortage and the inevitable famine and wars due to overpopulation?

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          Looking forward to returning to the land of the contactless payment
                                                                                          What land would that be? Everywhere is contactless nowadays it seems.
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Not in that episode, but in the previous one he claims he's only consuming steak, salt and water. Best of luck with that.
                                                                                            That must be his 3rd or 4th time on that podcast now.

Whatever positive or negative opinions any of us may have about Peterson, he has such a massive following, it's quite incredible tbf.

Comment

He's a fucking fraud.
                                                                                              Ill admit being initially taken in on the back of the channel 4 interview.
                                                                                              But the more I listened, the more apparent it became his need to be reactionary and court right wing viewpoints under pseudo intellectual theories outweighed any actual ideas
                                                                                              Annoyed at myself for going under the thrall for a while

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                That's a bit chicken and egg, like I'd mostly see overpopulation as due to a lack of famine and wars.

Said he's in east Africa.

Comment

Whatever positive or negative opinions any of us may have about Peterson, he has such a massive following, it's quite incredible tbf.
                                                                                                  He's bigger than Kim Kardashians bottom

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                    He's a fucking fraud.
                                                                                                    Ill admit being initially taken in on the back of the channel 4 interview.
                                                                                                    But the more I listened, the more apparent it became his need to be reactionary and court right wing viewpoints under pseudo intellectual theories outweighed any actual ideas
                                                                                                    Annoyed at myself for going under the thrall for a while
                                                                                                    Same here, bought his audiobook but gave up 1/3 of the way through, around the same time as I heard him pimping his daughters god awful diet advice on Rogan. Didn’t help that he was the narrator “about”

Comment

Don’t forget the tequila

Comment

this is a good hit piece on him, funny too

If you need a further Peterson catch-up, can I recommend a video posted by GQ magazine this week, in which Jordan is interviewed by the New Statesman’s Helen Lewis. It’s hard to pick my favourite moment from the nearly two-hour-long encounter, but I very much enjoyed the bit where Lewis reasons: “Lobsters don’t get depressed. I think you’re anthropomorphising to a ridiculous degree. These are creatures that urinate out of their faces.”

Then again, it must be said that Peterson spends most of the interview looking like he’s about to urinate out of his face. In the entire exchange, he smiles about once, at some perceived irony in something wistfully arch that he has just said. One’s primary takeout is not: here is a man who can laugh at himself. Which is such a missed opportunity. I am reminded of the time when Jeffrey Archer told Dame Edna Everage that “the most important thing is to be able to laugh at yourself”. “You’d have to do that,” came the deathlessly sympathetic reply, “otherwise you’d be missing the joke of the century.”
                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 30-11-18, 22:28.

Comment

Think you mean water there Ted.

Food isn't a problem.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Think you mean water there Ted.

Food isn't a problem.
                                                                                                              Pretty good odds we see a famine in what was previously considered a first world nation in next 15 years I reckon. Probably multiple countries actually

Comment

Well the projections currently estimate that the world's population will peak by 2100 at around 10-11billion.
                                                                                                                That will be made of 1billion in America, 1billion in Europe, 4billion in Africa and 5billion in Asia.
                                                                                                                Basically we're looking at a population stagnation in America & Europe while we see a 4x increase in Africa and 25% increase in Asia.

Key points and some further video explanations on overpopulation:https://fs.blog/2016/04/hans-rosling-population-growth/
                                                                                                                Most notably that although the population is increasing, it's due to an increase in the 15-85 year olds in the world as child mortality has substantially decreased while population growth <15 year old is almost zero.
                                                                                                                If the current indicators of population growth such as extreme poverty continue below their level which currently sits at 9% of people globally, population will continue to level off and even decrease.

As far as famine goes, figures for famine related deaths peaked around 1870 at 1,400 per 100,000 and currently sits in the single digits even though the population has grown 7 fold.
                                                                                                                Genocide and battle related deaths peaked in the 1970s and 1950s respectively and are both <5% of their peak figures and trending downwards.

There's little evidence to suggest that although the global population will continue to rise that the rise is perpetual and we don't have the means to withstand the increase.

Climate change may seem like a less salient issue in many respects but it's certainly an issue that are become increasingly worse while the issues you mentioned appear to largely controllable.

Comment

@CourierCollie I can send you a PDF if you'd like
                                                                                                                  Battle related deaths:
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Sources: Adapted from Human Security Report Project 2007. For 1946–1988: Peace Research Institute of
                                                                                                                  Oslo Battle Deaths Dataset 1946–2008, Lacina & Gleditsch 2005. For 1989–2015: UCDP Battle-Related Deaths
                                                                                                                  Dataset version 5.0, Uppsala Conflict Data Program 2017, Melander, Pettersson, & Themnér 2016, updated
                                                                                                                  with information from Therese Pettersson and Sam Taub of UCDP. World population figures: 1950–2016,
                                                                                                                  US Census Bureau; 1946–1949, McEvedy & Jones 1978, with adjustments

Genocide:
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Sources: PITF, 1955–2008: Political Instability Task Force State Failure Problem Set, 1955–2008, Marshall,
                                                                                                                  Gurr, & Harff 2009; Center for Systemic Peace 2015. Calculations described in Pinker 2011, p. 338. UCDP,
                                                                                                                  1989–2016: UCDP One-Sided Violence Dataset v. 2.5-2016, Melander, Pettersson, & Themnér 2016; Uppsala
                                                                                                                  Conflict Data Program 2017, “High fatality” estimates, updated with data provided by Sam Taub of
                                                                                                                  UCDP, scaled by world population figures from US Census Bureau.

Comment

Wasn't Peterson caught out recently lying about books he'd claimed to have read.
                                                                                                                    Hard to believe there is anyone with any credibility left who hasn't seen through him.
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...Can you buy Camel meat in Dublin, or anyone know how you can get it delivered to Dublin...

Comment

If it's 2015 or older, then swig away imo.
                                                                                                                        Nice one. Picked up a few bottles this evening.

Comment

@CourierCollie I can send you a PDF if you'd like
                                                                                                                          Jebus I deleted the post because I don't care to have a debate about it. Hope somebody with more energy does though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X