Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
    To all of those disgusted by the quarter of voters who feel strongly enough about travellers that they could vote for a colossal dickhead like Casey perhaps you could examine why.

I personally have had a bad experience with travellers and my wider family have also had bad experiences. We are not huge bigots, imbeciles being lead astray by dog whistles or far right stormfront readers. Middle class, married with kids, educated and basically a huge chunk of the voting population is what we are.

My uncle has had farm equipment stolen numerous times and I was locked with other staff memebers in a pub office while they destroyed the bar because a new member made the mistake of serving a group. Others I know have much worse incidents to discuss.

Like it or not people have real grievances with the behavior of the group. Yes they are disadvantaged i am not blind to that and I know that there is some good eggs in the group but I cannot apologise for not liking travelers overall. I might reconsider if we receive an an apology in return.

Watching candidates say they would be happy to have a halting site next door is the real farce. Either a complete lie or a complete dillusion - either is not great in your president.

If Casey wasn’t as unelectable or say o’cuiv who you can imagine being in the Aras as unpalatable as I find him had said the same those percentages would have been much different.

Disgust and distain at people who feel they have real grievances is how you drive them away from being able to vote with you and we end up at Brexit, Trump, Golden dawn etc.

I am sure people will see this view as disgraceful but it is as a result of actual experiences that have impacted my opinion.
    I'm sure a lot of people, if not most people, have some negative experiences themselves or at least have stories like yours about your uncle. It's not news that it's a group that has disproportionate issues with criminality and that sort of thing.

But then I guess I just don't understand what you are looking for here? Peter Casey goes on national TV in a presidential campaign and start giving out about Travellers. OK. Now what?

What is the middle class, married with kids, educated man getting from this?

Do we have any actual thoughts on what should be done about travellers, or people on long term benefits? Are we actually interested in having a conversation on how we want the situation to develop, what elements of social welfare we think should be revised, what benefits travellers get or don't get that we want something to be done about?

I mean, please tell me there is more to it than just wanting to have a well-known person go on TV and tell us it's alright to say we don't like pavees out loud again?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      What has any of that got to do with the office of President of Ireland though?
      What did any of this election bar the outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
        What did any of this election bar the outcome?
        True.

Casey made it the shitshow it was though, was all harmless crap other than that. Voting for him based on that single issue is brain donor stuff.

Thankfully though, we got the only person suitable.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          I'm sure a lot of people, if not most people, have some negative experiences themselves or at least have stories like yours about your uncle. It's not news that it's a group that has disproportionate issues with criminality and that sort of thing.

But then I guess I just don't understand what you are looking for here? Peter Casey goes on national TV in a presidential campaign and start giving out about Travellers. OK. Now what?

What is the middle class, married with kids, educated man getting from this?

Do we have any actual thoughts on what should be done about travellers, or people on long term benefits? Are we actually interested in having a conversation on how we want the situation to develop, what elements of social welfare we think should be revised, what benefits travellers get or don't get that we want something to be done about?

I mean, please tell me there is more to it than just wanting to have a well-known person go on TV and tell us it's alright to say we don't like pavees out loud again?
          Exactly it’s a complex issue and if you relegate the Casey voters to right wing bigots and imbeciles you are drawing a line in the sand which is tough to cross. Most people in Ireland go over and back on that line hourly when it comes to travellers.

“Bad start to life and everything is stacked against them so how could they end up anywhere else” makes way for “remember when Travellers turned up at the beech, stopped anyone visiting for a few weeks and when they were moved on left a pile of human shit and scrap metal behind”

Both are true and you can believe both, if people and the media make it a case of dosnt 100% respect everything to do with travellers means you are 100% against them than you are going to create a right wing in Ireland by pushing people to decide to be in one camp or the other.

I didn’t vote for Casey but I can see why many did. I don’t think it’s becuase they are complete racists and labeling them conviently as such is incorrect and dangerous.

Edit
          Before I get called a NIMBY I am totally aware of the fact I am a NIMBY.
          Last edited by RichieM; 27-10-18, 13:14.

Comment

I empathise with you in regards to your experiences Richie, I have called the council about a guy living on my road who leaves his waste everywhere and there are so many rats on the road, its disgusting.

That said, I firmly believe that allowing views such as Casey's to fester is not remotely the answer to addressing what is rightly a very salient disconnect between Travellers and the majority at this stage.

The primary issue with the rhetoric that Casey and his followers spout is that it sets a precedent for views both of travellers and other minorities to disseminate in our society which are harmful and even more malignant than those of Casey. It normalises the ability for racially charged opinions to become more acceptable in society. Replace travellers with any ethnic minority of your choice and insert whatever grievances that are the most salient for that group. Where exactly does the tipping point occur that it is racism and bigotry?

I don't disagree that more needs to be done to align the values of travellers with Irish society at large but I find it somewhat worrisome that such a large proportion of the Irish population are so easily persuaded by what I view as vitriol.

Comment

Best of luck Laz.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                ...Same, had them in a treble, still not sure he came 4th...Should have taken GABs advice and did it in Boyles instead of PP...
                Powers must have paid 4 places, I'm showing a small profit for it.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                  Best of luck Laz.
                  Cheers dude

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    anybody doing the marathon this weekend?
                    Digiman doing it as well

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention Pauric. Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        On my pp account it shows as lost. 1/4 first 3

Comment

You'd have to question anyone who's vote is that easy bought.
                          airport, lol

Comment

If they did i was robbed, have it as a loser on my account
                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Came back to Easkey this weekend after really enjoying it last year and we're already talking about coming back next year. Just love it over here, definitely my favourite place in Ireland that I've visited. Anyone looking to get a proper chilled out break in a sleepy west of Ireland village would struggle to find better.

Comment

The point is that Casey and all the other populists are not even pretending to offer solutions the only intent was self promotion

No one is saying there aren't serious problems and demonising an entire people can only ever make those problems worse.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Came back to Easkey this weekend after really enjoying it last year and we're already talking about coming back next year. Just love it over here, definitely my favourite place in Ireland that I've visited. Anyone looking to get a proper chilled out break in a sleepy west of Ireland village would struggle to find better.
                                  Meaning to go here. Maybe rent a caravan close by. Did you meet Brendan and his missus?. Last I read they had a bakery/cafe Believe they are over this neck of the woods?.
                                  How many bars and do they show the racing!?.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention Pauric. Good luck man.
                                    I'm in, bib 2175. No idea what time I'm gonna get as I missed the last 3 weeks of the long runs due to injury so not to sure what time to aim for. Its been wrecking my head trying to figure out what pace to go. A bit like Lazare, I still think I've just about a PB in me but going for it could cause a blow up!! More like I'll be around the 4:15 rather than a PB of 3:59.

I'll not sleep right tonight dreaming of different scenarios I'd say

Good luck to you as well Conor

Comment

A grand little spot surely, it's come on a lot in last few years, they've really done well out of the surfing crowd. Used to hate the place when i was playing football at home, a rotten drive across the mountains to get there and you were 100% guaranteed to be playing in gale force winds, marking some hardy fucker who had mastered kicking points in those conditions over the years. Ive been back for more leisurely trips since though!

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                        I'm in, bib 2175. No idea what time I'm gonna get as I missed the last 3 weeks of the long runs due to injury so not to sure what time to aim for. Its been wrecking my head trying to figure out what pace to go. A bit like Lazare, I still think I've just about a PB in me but going for it could cause a blow up!! More like I'll be around the 4:15 rather than a PB of 3:59.

I'll not sleep right tonight dreaming of different scenarios I'd say

Good luck to you as well Conor

Cheers Pauric, don't freak out if you can't sleep. Just lie still, rest and relax. Totally normal to struggle sleeping, resting the body and mind is all that matters tonight.

Enjoy it buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                          Meaning to go here. Maybe rent a caravan close by. Did you meet Brendan and his missus?. Last I read they had a bakery/cafe Believe they are over this neck of the woods?.
                                          How many bars and do they show the racing!?.
                                          I don't know who Brendan is. Only cafe is called Pudding Row, it's fantastic and has a bakery too so maybe that's the place? Sent lazare pics he can confirm. There's a good deal on a few airbnb places, haven't seen a caravan park. There are 3 bars, I've been in 2 and both had multiple screens with football and racing on at the same time.

Speaking of racing, there's a race night fundraiser on for the gaa club tonight. Obviously it's just about the craic but what's the betting strategy? As in will there be odds or is it guess work. Never been to a race night before.

Comment

Cheers Pauric, don't freak out if you can't sleep. Just lie still, rest and relax. Totally normal to struggle sleeping, resting the body and mind is all that matters tonight.

Enjoy it buddy.
                                            Marathon wanker!

SPOILER
                                            Best of luck man and enjoy!

Comment

At what time can I expect ya running past my window in chapo.
                                              I'll put my morning double espresso down to clap as ye pass
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                At what time can I expect ya running past my window in chapo.
                                                I'll put my morning double espresso down to clap as ye pass
                                                Due to hit Lawrence's road at 10:50

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                  Thats weird, I've only seen the balance on that account but it's gone up by 12.5% of the stake which sounds like the right amount for the place double.

Comment

Told you SP was a spoofer . Ooops don't fall for it

Comment

Major incident at Leicesters football ground - owners helicopter has crashed into the carpark in what looks a likely fatal incident. Possibly people on the ground also.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago
                                                        Thats weird, I've only seen the balance on that account but it's gone up by 12.5% of the stake which sounds like the right amount for the place double.
                                                        Ah! I get it now, didn't realise that Lady Boomerang had placed.
                                                        So I was paid on the 16/1 9/2 place double so it turns out I missed out on even more than I thought I had by that nose.
                                                        Its a good example of how if you are punting any way seriously its important to squeeze every bit of value you can out of it. That the difference between a shrewdie like GAB and a mug like me

Comment

Speaking of racing, there's a race night fundraiser on for the gaa club tonight. Obviously it's just about the craic but what's the betting strategy? As in will there be odds or is it guess work. Never been to a race night before.
                                                          The way I like it. Pure lottery. 3 tickets for a fiver or €2 each. Numbers 1 3 and 6 pls

Hup. Winner winner chicken dinner number 6. Blind mug punting ftw lol
                                                          Last edited by dobby; 27-10-18, 21:28.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                              that looks bad all right.
                                                              Are we all just avoiding the Jewey mass shooting in Pittsburgh, 'cause it's far away?
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                  Are we all just avoiding the Jewey mass shooting in Pittsburgh, 'cause it's far away?
                                                                  Saturation coverage at the moment, unlike the 6.7 million in crises in Somalia. Bigger philosophical question i guess.
                                                                  The media decides for us

Comment

A country full of guns has frequent mass shootings? Its hardly newsworthy, even if individually tragic for the families involved.
                                                                    Apparently if the synagogue had armed security there would have been fewer fatalities. The answer to the gun problem, more guns. Lol America

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thinking of getting the Nintendo Switch for Christmas as eldest kid is probably at the right age and goddamnit I want a console and she's the perfect excuse to get one.

Yay or nay on the Switch?

btw hadn't realised just how badly xbox had lost the console battle. 40m xboxOne sales vs 90m PS4. Remember they had some teething problems due to launching with some stupid always-on restriction but was there anything else wrong with it too?
                                                                            Not much of a gamer but I have a Switch and really like it. IonaPaul has one as well.

Comment

...

Comment

Also thinking of getting a telescope. Is that a stupid idea given you can only really see the moon and it probably won't be used much after the first 10 mins looking at the moon? Think I've answered my own question there. Like is there other interesting things you can look at? We have a great view of stars due to being in a low-light area, but can't imagine a telescope would be enlightening about stars given how far away they are.
                                                                                Got one a few years ago. Without a Doubt one of the best things Ive ever bought myself. Admittedly I haven't used it in quite a While due to a number of reasons. (set up each time. Is a bit Of a pain, if it's Windy, it's useless, but I could Think Of worse things To Spend €200 on.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Nintendo is the best console for small kids with plenty of fun games for one or more people.

Comment

Comment

Why is it good? Love the idea, especially after reading The Martian recently, but not sure about longevity of use.
                                                                                          Actually seeing the orion nebula or saturn or the moons of jupiter (albeit very small) in Real life,. Ie not as a photo or on telly, is one of the most humbling experiences ever. Gives you a real sense of your place. When you look up, you think you see everything, but looking through a telescope really opens your horizons. Millions upon millions of stars.

I bought this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-3...lBL&ref=plSrch

But would splash out on a better one if I could at the time.

I'm Telling You, the second you look through it, you'll be blown away.
                                                                                          Last edited by newbie2; 27-10-18, 23:54.

Comment

...

Comment

Thinking of getting the Nintendo Switch for Christmas as eldest kid is probably at the right age and goddamnit I want a console and she's the perfect excuse to get one.

btw hadn't realised just how badly xbox had lost the console battle. 40m xboxOne sales vs 90m PS4. Remember they had some teething problems due to launching with some stupid always-on restriction but was there anything else wrong with it too?
                                                                                              they've already announed xbox Two so that is having an effect as well. Lots of people waiting on the next generation consoles and still playing on their xbox S or whatever. tbh xboxOne hasn't added a huge amount to xbox S apart from the top 5% of people so the numbers don't massively surprise me.

I'm holding out for elder scrolls 6 which should be 2020 and about a year after xbox2 so hopefully kinks are worked out.
                                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Yeah?! Zelda obviously, but what would be the other good games to get? Maybe Mario something?
                                                                                                Zelda is an incredible game. Mario Odyssey very good. I've also put a decent amount of time into Hollow Knight, Rocket League, Mario + Rabbids and Golf Story.

There are loads more that I haven't gotten around to that are meant to be great too.

Comment

Comment

didn't hear that story about him before but we know James and he does get plenty of attention for his name.

Comment

Does anyone have much knowledge of TVs? I've done some reading and apparently you should avoid buying something below 120 HZ.
                                                                                                      I'm going to wait till Black Friday to pick it up but the room should be fine with something between 49 and 55 inches.

I have a Chromecast so I'd prefer to sacrifice the Smart element for better picture quality if that was the trade off.
                                                                                                      Budget would be a max of 1k.

Comment

Any one know Lazare's bib number? want to see how he's getting on

Comment

Powers were paying top 7 in the golf in China.

Had Olesen and he 4 way tied for 7th. They paid me a full place and I withdrew. It should have only been a quarter. Do they write this off or do I get a mail saying they made an error?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                            Powers were paying top 7 in the golf in China.

Had Olesen and he 4 way tied for 7th. They paid me a full place and I withdrew. It should have only been a quarter. Do they write this off or do I get a mail saying they made an error?

up at the crack to watch it live .

won be an aftertiming bollox as i know it upsets ye but was nice viewing. ....ooops

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                              Any one know Lazare's bib number? want to see how he's getting on
                                                                                                              never mind. found him!! wow, he's on a 3h45 pace. hold!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                                up at the crack to watch it live .

won be an aftertiming bollox as i know it upsets ye but was nice viewing. ....ooops
                                                                                                                Ha. Work away. Xander? Nice.

Seen he was Palmer's top tip this week. He's had some return this year. Must be his best yet.

Comment

I have one and definitely recommend it. Mario and Zelda alone make it worth buying the console. Mario kart is excellent also. You've got Smash Bros and Metroid 4 out for Xmas too. The only dislike I have is that the accessories are a tad expensive.

Comment

didn't hear that story about him before but we know James and he does get plenty of attention for his name.
                                                                                                                    I read about that yesterday. The first booking was farcical anyway. A second ball.was thrown onto the pitch and he kicked it off. Crazy story.

Comment

Struggling to find out from the Marathon website. Is Hueston Station accessible from Palmerston side?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        never mind. found him!! wow, he's on a 3h45 pace. hold!!!
                                                                                                                        How did ya find him? I'm in the cafe. Looking out at the runners with a gfyl sign
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                          How did ya find him? I'm in the cafe. Looking out at the runners with a gfyl sign
                                                                                                                          Lol, brilliant!
                                                                                                                          On the Dublin marathon tracker page. Let me know if you can't find him. I'll send you the link

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X