Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-kid should be here soon.

Comment

Out in 29...Scotty in the bag again.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Out in 29...Scotty in the bag again.
        Wee Rory flying out of the traps, good scores today in store

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              Would I need to book a table in Pho Viet for Saturday at 5 or 6pm or would I be grand to just walk in?
              Rule of thumb, any restaurant that doesn't need booking on a Saturday evening is something best avoided...
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                what stat are you using?
                Tado. I was told by the eggheads on boards that it had all the features and none of the price. Just got it installed this evening after thinking I had mangled my boiler in a manner very embarrassing for a supposed electrical engineer.

O2 in the UK were doing a great deal on them for £50. Out of stock at the moment but I believe they became available again at least once previously if you want to keep an eye. Go to o2.co.uk/shop and stick tado in the search.

It just replaced a regular old Apt timer that was on the wall. You can get an extension kit thing that plugs straight into the boiler for the stat to communicate with if you don't have any control for the boiler external to it.

I have a 16 amp wifi switch that I'm toying with the idea of hooking to the immersion upstairs but a bit hesitant with that one due to potential fire hazard.
                Last edited by Keane; 06-09-18, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                  Rule of thumb, any restaurant that doesn't need booking on a Saturday evening is something best avoided...
                  Only reason I ask is cos it's been tipped up in here a bunch of times. Dunno how busy it'll be though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    The French plateaued at 'functional' a long time ago and seems to be stuck on that for now.
                    Shame, as in terms of graphic novels, nothing really compares to their offering.

Comment

We all know the most qualified person to answer this, but if it's for you that just seems like free money, no? As money received by pay is taxed, but money by pension is largely not taxed. Plus there presumably isn't a huge amount of years left pre retirement (I assume!)
                      Pretty sure it's illegal

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        I have what I hope is a straightforward enough pensions question

Is it worth doing a deal with employer to forgo future pay increases and have them put the amount into increased employer contribution?

Does it make a difference if the employee is already paying the max ?
                        I often wonder about this. Any pay increase I get is worth less than 50%.

So if, say, to make it easy, I'm on 100k. I'm making max pension contributions and employer is contributing 10%.

Employer says "you're great, have a 20% rise"

I say "no thanks, how about you increase your contribution to 25% instead. Everyone's a winner baby."

Is there anything to stop this? It seems highly pragmatic, particularly for peopke closer to retirement.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Thinking of having this winter's minor obsession to replace the board games of last year (about 200 board games bought between kids and adult games) as ...

... graphic novels.

So I can get download them easily enough, but would prefer to buy physical copies. The problem is new versions of graphic novels cost a fortune. Is there a good place to buy secondhand copies online?
                          I'm selling a fair few. Anything in particular you are interested in?
                          Actually, postage might be the killer here
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-09-18, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              I often wonder about this. Any pay increase I get is worth less than 50%.

So if, say, to make it easy, I'm on 100k. I'm making max pension contributions and employer is contributing 10%.

Employer says "you're great, have a 20% rise"

I say "no thanks, how about you increase your contribution to 25% instead. Everyone's a winner baby."

Is there anything to stop this? It seems highly pragmatic, particularly for peopke closer to retirement.
                              Nothing to stop it bar max annual funding limits and 2m overall cap. By the way an employer can top up your pension in retirement too if so inclined. Lots of pensions/savings planning opportunities if you happen to be the employer and the employee.

In a normal employee/employer relationship it can be a bit more difficult to agree terms but it can be done.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

We all know the most qualified person to answer this, but if it's for you that just seems like free money, no? As money received by pay is taxed, but money by pension is largely not taxed. Plus there presumably isn't a huge amount of years left pre retirement (I assume!)
                                Certainly if you had a tiny pension pot this is an absolute no brainer if you can afford to forgo the pay rises. It’s not illegal as long as it doesn’t go down in writing and there is trust on both sides as otherwise it would fall foul of salary sacrifice rules.

Making AVCs just before retirement is a no brainer. Getting your employer to put in more is a no brainer. Doing it earlier in life and enjoying tax free compound growth is smart.
                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  Pretty sure it's illegal
                                  Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                  Certainly if you had a tiny pension pot this is an absolute no brainer if you can afford to forgo the pay rises. It’s not illegal as long as it doesn’t go down in writing and there is trust on both sides as otherwise it would fall foul of salary sacrifice rules.
                                  Cheers, sounds like something to discuss with CFO rather then HR
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So say my limit is 20% for my age bracket and employer is matching 10 (as a random example ), what is the max that the employer could be putting in, or is this max annual contribution a solid figure? Static?

How is it legal if you don't right it down, does that just mean that you can't get caught essentially?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      How is it legal if you don't right it down, does that just mean that you can't get caught essentially?
                                      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          So say my limit is 20% for my age bracket and employer is matching 10 (as a random example ), what is the max that the employer could be putting in, or is this max annual contribution a solid figure? Static?

See section 5.7 here and work it out for yourself.

Giving up future contractual pay rises or reducing salary is salary sacrifice. Agreeing that any potential additional future remuneration which may become available is paid into ones pension scheme isn’t salary sacrifice. People negotiate future remuneration and how it might be paid (a car allowance or an actual company car for example) all the time. However if it’s not written down there’s no danger of a unfortunate Revenue interpretation. Anyway you do whatever you like.

Comment

Been a hard slog on the work front over the last while without the wins coming through I’ve hoped for. Hard to stay motivated at times as the environment I’m working in can be a bit flat and they don’t know what it takes to make it to the premier level.

Now I’ve just landed two chunky pieces of work with a 5bn and a 3bn scheme over the past two weeks and I have a number of other good things cooking. I need to capitalize on these but still great to feel I’m turning a corner. I’m hoping I’ll be advising 15bn of Irish pension assets in 2019. Fucking mad when you think about it.

Comment

Oh my god. This is a fcking takeover. Jaysus.

That's the tone of a lady who knows exactly the answers to the questions she's asking
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                That's the tone of a lady who knows exactly the answers to the questions she's asking
                                                But he's going to be confirmed anyway, it makes no difference except for appearance sake.

Comment

It’s also a bad way for a lawyer to question someone. Unless she doesn’t want him to answer the question.
                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                    Got my car covered in some shite while driving around France. Brought to a detailer today to try and get it off, everything I had tried hadn't worked. Went to Spirit Detailing as recommend by Cuchulainn1 and a few others. Lovely fella but has never seen anything like it before and nothing he tried worked perfectly.

Had to book the car in to get cleaned and polished and potentially sanded at the start of October. Probably won't see much change out of close to a k at the end of it all.

All this for a car that's less than two months old, what a fucking nightmare.
                                                    What sort of shite is it? As I said I have never used Spirit Detailing but from people talking about him he is supposed to be the best in the business so I'm surprised he couldn't remove it.

Comment

in some twitter thread on the story about the sec of state for norn iron admitting her ignorance of the place there is a great story about Humphrey Atkins tenure in stormont.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post
                                                        What sort of shite is it? As I said I have never used Spirit Detailing but from people talking about him he is supposed to be the best in the business so I'm surprised he couldn't remove it.
                                                        He will be able to get it out, just not quickly, seems it may have stained the clear coat. He wasn't exactly sure what it was, could be tree sap or something that sprayed off a truck. Photo in the spoiler.

Good few people recommend him, and all said he was the best. Lovely guy too.

SPOILER

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Burt Reynolds' trademark laugh brought joy to the hearts of millions worldwide! A legendary American actor who will be missed. #burtreynolds #happy #moviesta...

Comment

Comment

The Deep State\resistance stuff from the White House where the staff are effectively disobeying orders has been done before.

Although at least when Nixon (a notoriously lightweight drinker) would drunkenly tell his generals to 'nuke Hanoi' or whatever, he was intoxicated. Trump doesn't drink.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Musk talking about AI, I've heard most of what he said before, he's a weird guy, as expected.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                      It’s also a bad way for a lawyer to question someone. Unless she doesn’t want him to answer the question.
                                                                      I'd agree but the who is less important than the optics of denial and general shiftyness.
                                                                      As Dom said, he's gonna get confirmed anyway, it's just another layer of implications that can come back later.

Comment

Good job internet

and the first response?

Comment

Been listening to this on repeat a fair bit recently
                                                                          Official Video for "Feels Like Summer" by Childish GambinoListen to Childish Gambino: https://ChildishGambino.lnk.to/listenYDWatch more Childish Gambino vide...

Sad to see him hang up the mic

Comment

Comment

I always find this the most disturbing factoid. Like if this was just mayhem drunkenness I'd nearly admire it.
                                                                              I'd assume he's on a cocktail of prescription drugs. Did you see the doctor he had before he was elected?
                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

A review of The Ivy sounds exactly like you'd expect that place to be.
                                                                                They held the interviews for staff over the last few weeks in my building, I got to hear up close how they run their show. I won't be visiting

Comment

Ha

The jug of ‘gravy’ (how does this dish produce gravy?) that accompanies the insult, watery and acrid with dried rosemary, improves the dish in the way that urinating upon excrement might improve that.
                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

...

Comment

^^^ ha yeah that stood out as a cracker!

Nice to see ElStuntman anonymously back in the writing game
                                                                                      heteronormative vodka martini costing €17
                                                                                      Unpossible

Comment

Made my morning, thanks for posting. I must see about getting back into invective myself, I always feel such a sense of lightness after an overwrought rant.

Comment

I know one guy who had been going on about how he was going to be getting into the Ivy when it opened because he knows someone who can get him on the list.

He is exactly the clientele they are looking for; early 30's, well dressed, Southside blueblood, earning good money, always has at least one high maintenance girl on the go but usually a few more and doesn't have a penny in savings. Basically an unmarried Ross O'Carroll Kelly and proud of it.

He thinks it may have been his worst waste of money ever and he is not very good with money.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                            Musk talking about AI, I've heard most of what he said before, he's a weird guy, as expected.

https://youtu.be/Ra3fv8gl6NE
                                                                                            I know I'm biased but the full interview is a tough watch so far.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                              I know one guy who had been going on about how he was going to be getting into the Ivy when it opened because he knows someone who can get him on the list.

He is exactly the clientele they are looking for; early 30's, well dressed, Southside blueblood, earning good money, always has at least one high maintenance girl on the go but usually a few more and doesn't have a penny in savings. Basically an unmarried Ross O'Carroll Kelly and proud of it.

He thinks it may have been his worst waste of money ever and he is not very good with money.
                                                                                              When I saw the size and layout of the menu (esp for a place open 7 days a week) I thought it had no chance of being good. Some strange choices on it too. But it looks fancy! (more garish)

Comment

the portion is at once mean and over-generous.

Comment

When I saw the size and layout of the menu (esp for a place open 7 days a week) I thought it had no chance of being good. Some strange choices on it too. But it looks fancy! (more garish)
                                                                                                  Fancy? It looks like something from the nightmare of an Australian who once saw an infographic about how to fuck up baroque decor.

I suppose in other words it looks like that other absolute kip Cafe en Seine.

EDIT: Just had a look at the menu and burst out laughing - good shout! Fucking state of it

Comment

It's an assault on the senses.

Comment

It's an assault on the senses.
                                                                                                      Just sent the review on to my best pal

[10:29, 9/7/2018] I enjoyed that read alright
                                                                                                      Although
                                                                                                      I still want to check out the Ivy 😂😂

Comment

Been listening to this on repeat a fair bit recently

Sad to see him hang up the mic
                                                                                                        I'd be shocked if it isn't similar to David Bowie retiring Ziggy Stardust 45 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Fancy? It looks like something from the nightmare of an Australian who once saw an infographic about how to fuck up baroque decor.

EDIT: Just had a look at the menu and burst out laughing - good shout! Fucking state of it

https://theivydublin.com/wp-content/...8-CT-Web-1.pdf
                                                                                                          Jesus. That's rough. Actually hard to look at the menu too.

The description of the guy above is exactly who they are looking for. Paired with cunts who watch Made in Chelsea.

I've heard it bandied about as a possible destination for a couple of things. I'll be avoiding.

Comment

Lol thanks, a Friend coming over from sanfran. Gang going out Have recommend that place. I'll wait for them in McDonald's.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

https://theivydublin.com/wp-content/...8-CT-Web-1.pdf
                                                                                                              18.50 for a glass of table champagne does not belong on that menu

Compared to that, the lobster seems cheap for a wannabee posh place at 42... then again, the review might explain part of that

Guarantee the shepherds pie is frozen btw

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                Jesus. That's rough. Actually hard to look at the menu too.

The description of the guy above is exactly who they are looking for. Paired with cunts who watch Made in Chelsea.

I've heard it bandied about as a possible destination for a couple of things. I'll be avoiding.
                                                                                                                It will be the end of Lillies

Comment

After all the fat lad talk in here recently I've joined a gym in the city again for the next 3 months at least. The plan is to alternate 7am with lunch visits. The main challenge will obviously be sorting out my diet, but I've managed to do this a couple of times, so hopefully I can do it again. I need to lose a minimum of 10kg, but 20kg would be ideal. I'll settle for 15 though, with 10 of that gone in 3months time. We'll see.

Comment

Yeah, I lost 2kg a week while in hospital. Took six months to put it all back on (back up to 100kg). Quite disappointed, as I really thought that not drinking my usual 10 or 12 bottles of wine a week would have been enough to keep it off.
                                                                                                                    Started the cardio rehab program in the hospital 3 weeks ago. It's really given me a great intro to doing some decent exercise. Clearly sorting out my diet is still needs some effort.

Comment

There's an extension for chrome that changes Trump tweets to crayon https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hlnaioen?hl=en

Comment

...

Comment

Tesla Chief Accounting Officer gone after a month on the job. I shoulda got more puts

Down nearly 10% today
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-09-18, 13:45.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X