Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castle fucking Rock
    Wow.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      Castle fucking Rock
      Wow.
      I have to wait till friday night to watch it.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        What was the premium on those if you don't mind me asking? Seems like about $30 an option - so would need to fall to $160 to make cash? You know more than me on this, but that seems like at best a fairly priced premium, if not downright hella expensive.

Like it's 5/1 returns if Tesla is worth zero, and breakeven if they're worth half current price.
        I paid a bit less than that but yeah it's a crowded trade alright. I think the odds of them going busto are higher than that. They're basically insolvent right now, their bonds are on lows, the stock lost another few percent, Jaguar and Mercedes are introducing more competition, Tesla can't sell their basic Model 3 profitably. Around 230 Musk will have to start putting up more shares (or selling shares) against the money he's borrowed, very easy for the company to get in a death spiral from there considering everyone knows his position.

I'd feel like a fraud having such strong views on the company if I didn't have skin in the game, and I love having long-term sweats (like betting on elections or referendums), and at the least it's a hedge for my pension of equites, Tesla would be gonzo in a bear market.

Comment

NCT centres are full of grim , especially on wet mornings .

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            I paid a bit less than that but yeah it's a crowded trade alright. I think the odds of them going busto are higher than that. They're basically insolvent right now, their bonds are on lows, the stock lost another few percent, Jaguar and Mercedes are introducing more competition, Tesla can't sell their basic Model 3 profitably. Around 230 Musk will have to start putting up more shares (or selling shares) against the money he's borrowed, very easy for the company to get in a death spiral from there considering everyone knows his position.

I'd feel like a fraud having such strong views on the company if I didn't have skin in the game, and I love having long-term sweats (like betting on elections or referendums), and at the least it's a hedge for my pension of equites, Tesla would be gonzo in a bear market.
            BMW also started taking deposits for iX3 in Norway today/yesterday. Lexus have also announced something for 2020 though I think that's a little vague. It's getting to look like a very crowded market place.

The same buyer who might buy a model 3 would probably also buy a Kia Niro EV which will be available in the next few months here with the same sort of range and a real dealer network for support. It is also probably going to be a decent chunk of change cheaper
            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Trump going full Nixon.

Paranoia, fear, mental instability, plotting, leaking, mistrust, crime, investigators closing in.....

A normal person would be under huge stress now. Imagine what a narcissistic megalomaniac must be feeling?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Looking for recommendations for a plasterer, drop me a line if you know anybody or a company. Please and thank you BBV.
                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Trump going full Nixon.

Paranoia, fear, mental instability, plotting, leaking, mistrust, crime, investigators closing in.....

A normal person would be under huge stress now. Imagine what a narcissistic megalomaniac must be feeling?
                    Vive la resistance

Actually if you strip away the headline grabbing bits and the comic ott response from Trump the op ed is a fairly measured, calm and reassuring response to the crisis.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Vive la resistance

Actually if you strip away the headline grabbing bits and the comic ott response from Trump the op ed is a fairly measured, calm and reassuring response to the crisis.
                      I'm not so sure.

The Deep State don't advertise.

This is probably just some low-level gimp.

Comment

Trump going full Nixon.

A narcissistic megalomaniac he is probably feeling awesome and more self assured about his latest blunder than you have been about any choice you ever made.

Comment

wtf is wrong with these people?

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Bus out my way takes an hour to get to the city centre. There's one an hour.

The new proposal is for a bus that links to the Luas 10 mins away, then on to Tallaght, and Maynooth and Lucan on the other end.

Sounds absolutely brilliant, a vast improvement, would likely get to the city centre in half the time.

Sounds good, won't happen though because of cunts.

People all up in arms objecting to it. There's a SIPTU town hall tomorrow night, wtf has it got to do with unions? Just drive the bus you cunce and stop looking to tear the bollix out of progress.

Facebook full of morons crying that the bus will no longer go direct 'the more objections the better" Fuck off.

Hate people.
                          Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Similar enough tale for chapelizod
                          currently the 25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b and 67 go through the area en route to town.
                          These buses are generally packed once they reach here but before 8am they are frequent enough (c. 10-15 mins)
                          However, the plan now is to divert all of these services to the n4 bypassing chapo and in it's place but a secondary "spine" going from liffey valley to dame st running every 30 mins
                          Not only will this severely hamper the services into the city (smaller buses and will no doubt be full before arrival) but it kills access to all upstream locations (lucan, maynooth, leixslip etc)
                          Having been away for most of the summer I had no idea about all this bus lark till I got home and my father mentioned it. Popped along to a meeting about it the other night in a local pub hoping to get some information about the proposed changes. It was organised by Catherine Ardagh and had some other TD there also and a guest speaker from the NBRU.

Walked away from it not knowing much than I did walking in, couple genuine questions from people but then somebody from PBP took the mic and went on a bit of a rant. Guy from the union was having some digs and the guy who was coming up with the plans for the new system going on about how he was paid €400,000 for it.

They say it's proposals but I was out walking with my father the other day and they had the new buses driving around my area with learner drivers so it seems from all intents and purposes it's going to go ahead.

Listening to some of the routes that are getting chopped it doesn't sound good at all with no real for thought put into how these extra people are gonna get around Dublin, 3 buses that go through Inchicore are gone forcing those people to now get onto already packed Luas carriages in the the mornings.

The chap from the NBRU made a good point that when it came to planning for Dublin Bus there was no real plan but as the housing estates & industrial estates went up the buses followed.

The 123 goes straight through James and it's super convenient for people in my area (decent older population) and I know for my father who suffers mobility issues how this service is good for him to now be chopped and move to a secondary means of access isn't ideal.

I've seen Hitch tweet some stuff about this Dublin Connects thing lately but if anybody has any decent information on it please do drop me a line.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                            A narcissistic megalomaniac he is probably feeling awesome and more self assured about his latest blunder than you have been about any choice you ever made.
                            How do you know I'm not a narcissistic megalomaniac?

I feel great about all my blunders. I do the best blunders.

Loser! Sad!

Comment

Loser! Sad!
                              Just named in two felonies and not even a sniff been done about it, crazy times indeed.

Jack doesn't post here anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                Just named in two felonies and not even a sniff been done about it, crazy times indeed.

Jack doesn't post here anymore?
                                Seems like he was a single issue candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  Vive la resistance

I dunno.
                                  Effectively admitting (albeit anomalously) in national media that you commander in chief is incapable of doing his job is pretty out there.
                                  It was either instruction from the party to settle the money men or a signal flare so when it all falls down someone can say, who me? I was against it all along, look at my op ed.

Dissecting the op ed in the hope of deciphering how wrote it is not what we should folks in the US should be doing. They should be up in arms that the people around the president know he's a maniac but are keeping him as a blustering face of the administration so they can hold onto power.
                                  It's a frankly astounding situation
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-09-18, 11:05.

Comment

Loser! Sad!
                                      Asking for my opinion rules you out of the truly elite group of narcissistic megalomaniacs.

Your right to come to me for validation because I don't make any blunders they are just higher level moves that other people cannot understand.

I would say that you could learn a lot but how could you keep up with me when I am working at a level far higher and so far in advance.

Comment

@tyler

The argument that people are losing out doesn't really make sense from an overall perspective, as journey times are on average far faster.

Now you can break it down to the individual route level and find individualised losses, but this new system is based on analysis of maximising population-wide needs. So e.g. the 123 that used to bring people to James might indeed have been great for your dad and some other people in the area, but actually their analysis will have shown that more people need services with a different route focus. Thats the way it needs to change then as it would be mad to be running a route that best served the minority rather than the majority of user needs. Thats not to say they shouldn't put on a separate route for going to St James (with more investment), but if there's just one route then it needs to serve maximum needs.

The big issue imo is coverage is mainly focused on the people who are currently using the bus who are obviously using it because it suits their needs. But the population of potential bus users is much larger and needs to clearly be addressed with more weight as they are a larger part of the bus-eligible population. Just because they aren't using the bus at the moment as it doesn't currently suit them doesn't mean they get discounted - they're paying for the bus subvention the exact same as everyone else.

But these bus-eligible people have no voice as they don't really have strong opinions on the matter, while the smaller group of current bus users who are losing out (not many people at all) naturally have all the stories.

On a sidenote, I find it bizarre that bus drivers are being listened to on this. In the same way as its equally bizarre to listen to teachers about national curriculum development and consultants about running a hospital. wtf would the average bus driver know about route optimisation? There's presumably some sad underlying motive behind their involvement such as something to do with where they will eat lunch.
                                        Cycle to work.

Comment

Comment

I'm not so sure.

The Deep State don't advertise.

This is probably just some low-level gimp.
                                            Some speculating that it's Pence. Mostly because of the use of the word lodestar
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

If the cycle routes were a bit better (or even that there was cycle routes at all), I'm sure many multiples of more people would love to cycle to work!
                                              Ah i know.

I was being lazy. I've convinced about 5 friends to C2W in the last number of years and nobody has looked back. Dublin is one of the greatest cities in the world to work in and can only imagine how much better it would be with the right infrastructure.

Also a Tyler esque moan about bus connects. I don't use the bus to commute. Just when i'm heading out. My 15a is being taken away. That can leave me in Terenure, Rathgar or Rathmines on the way to town.

New route is going through, Kimmage, Crumlin and Drimnagh on the way to town.

Who in their right mind would want to drink around there?!!!

Hi Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                Asking for my opinion rules you out of the truly elite group of narcissistic megalomaniacs.

Your right to come to me for validation because I don't make any blunders they are just higher level moves that other people cannot understand.

I would say that you could learn a lot but how could you keep up with me when I am working at a level far higher and so far in advance.
                                                I will work for free and tell you how bigly awesome you are every 5 minutes.

I will also arrange intros to broad-minded ladies who work in the performing arts, as well as shady Russians with much untraceable cash to invest in high-end property.

Do I get the gig? I'll lose to you at golf too.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                  Cycle to work.
                                                  This.

Got the DART for the first morning in some time today. Depressing shit.

Comment

Is this a parody a/c I can never tell.

Comment

My car asked for more tests . They said there were no more .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                        My car asked for more tests . They said there were no more .
                                                        Had the same experience a few weeks ago - it's such a pleasant surprise everytime you get the all clear first time!

Comment

Comment

This.

The times I walk up Westland Row in the morning are bad enough, can't imagine what it's like being on the actual thing.

Comment

Been back on the bus for the last week while awaiting a new bike, most notable thing so far has been how much i'd been relying on it to take detours for really basic stuff (popping into my parents on the way home etc.)

Comment

@tyler

The argument that people are losing out doesn't really make sense from an overall perspective, as journey times are on average far faster.

Now you can break it down to the individual route level and find individualised losses, but this new system is based on analysis of maximising population-wide needs. So e.g. the 123 that used to bring people to James might indeed have been great for your dad and some other people in the area, but actually their analysis will have shown that more people need services with a different route focus. Thats the way it needs to change then as it would be mad to be running a route that best served the minority rather than the majority of user needs. Thats not to say they shouldn't put on a separate route for going to St James (with more investment), but if there's just one route then it needs to serve maximum needs.

The big issue imo is coverage is mainly focused on the people who are currently using the bus who are obviously using it precisely because the current setup suits their needs. But the population of potential bus users is much larger and needs to clearly be addressed with more weight as they are a larger part of the bus-eligible population. Just because they aren't using the bus at the moment as it doesn't currently suit them doesn't mean they get discounted - they're paying for the bus subvention the exact same as everyone else.

But these bus-eligible people have no voice as they don't really have strong opinions on the matter, while the smaller group of current bus users who are losing out (not many people at all) naturally have all the stories.

On a sidenote, I find it bizarre that bus drivers are being listened to on this. In the same way as its equally bizarre to listen to teachers about national curriculum development and consultants about running a hospital. wtf would the average bus driver know about route optimisation? Its quite complex maths, but without any doubt better than randomly putting routes everywhere. There's presumably some sad underlying motive behind their involvement such as something to do with where they will eat lunch.

Find it a bit disingenuous to say people aren't losing out, there is gonna be swaths of Dublin not covered by these proposed routes. Hopefully a new system put in place will be more efficient/better but I suppose only time will tell.

Towards the end of the meeting the other night about the proposal they were taking the last few questions but I didn't get the opportunity to ask how it's going to affect fares, if all of a sudden you're going from one bus journey to having to take two/three to get from point A to B what way is it going work?

I know there is an interactive map where it shows were you can go in 30/45/60 minutes but is there anything to input for specific routes?

Ah i know.

I was being lazy. I've convinced about 5 friends to C2W in the last number of years and nobody has looked back. Dublin is one of the greatest cities in the world to work in and can only imagine how much better it would be with the right infrastructure.

Also a Tyler esque moan about bus connects. I don't use the bus to commute. Just when i'm heading out. My 15a is being taken away. That can leave me in Terenure, Rathgar or Rathmines on the way to town.

Hi Tyler
                                                                Hey hey hey leave Drimnagh outta that you can drink in The Black Forge and try and avoid getting kicked in the head from McGregor.

The big issue with the Luas is it takes just as long as a bus but they've decided nearly everyone should stand on it.
                                                                If any of you follow the Luas twitter account it's constantly updating and apologising for delays in service and with closing routes to try and get people moved onto this mode of transport should be interesting.
                                                                Last edited by tylerdurden94; 06-09-18, 12:37.

Comment

It's all moving deckchairs on the Titanic without major investment in new public transport and cycling infrastructure.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      The times I walk up Westland Row in the morning are bad enough, can't imagine what it's like being on the actual thing.
                                                                      The good news is it's an 11 minute trip.

Comment

Comment

Its not! They've designed a mathematically robust system which maximises the number of people in an area that can move to the places they are most likely to go to based on local population and traffic maps. It's not moving deckchairs around the Titantic or anything even close to that. There's massive gains from the first time you simply applying a basic passenger number optimiser w/ transport time reduction requirement to a transport network that previously didn't have that. No extra resources needed. Private company supply chain management has been run like this for decades, as well as most good cities transport routes. Its literally gain for no cost.
                                                                          But you're just talking about better bus routes on roads that are completely rammed and that don't have adequate bus lanes, as well as moving people from buses to the already completely rammed and in danger of disintegrating LUAS service.

Although I think until people are charged a fiver each time they drive in and out of city centre, with that money used for public transport, cycle routes, and pedestrian friendly roads and footpaths, then its all kinda ineffective.

The great public transport, cycling, and walking, cities of the world have got there mainly by making it a pain in the ass to be a driver in their cities.
                                                                          This.

Comment

This.

I hope it wasn't cos it was raining today!! Was refreshing

Comment

Got my car covered in some shite while driving around France. Brought to a detailer today to try and get it off, everything I had tried hadn't worked. Went to Spirit Detailing as recommend by Cuchulainn1 and a few others. Lovely fella but has never seen anything like it before and nothing he tried worked perfectly.

Had to book the car in to get cleaned and polished and potentially sanded at the start of October. Probably won't see much change out of close to a k at the end of it all.

All this for a car that's less than two months old, what a fucking nightmare.
                                                                              The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Quick RyanAir question

One standard wheelie bag ok to carry on now?
                                                                                Website is a bit of a mess for someone who doesn't use them

Comment

Ah i know.

Hi Tyler
                                                                                  you are going on my list

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                    I hope it wasn't cos it was raining today!! Was refreshing
                                                                                    I was given Fake News by the failing kids media!

"It's lashing outside Dad"

So I donned my work clothes and then couldn't be arsed changing out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                      Got my car covered in some shite while driving around France. Brought to a detailer today to try and get it off, everything I had tried hadn't worked. Went to Spirit Detailing as recommend by Cuchulainn1 and a few others. Lovely fella but has never seen anything like it before and nothing he tried worked perfectly.

Had to book the car in to get cleaned and polished and potentially sanded at the start of October. Probably won't see much change out of close to a k at the end of it all.

French shit. Superior to all other shit. And they know it.

Comment

The luas is way better than buses lads. I usually get a lift to the Luas from Newcastle. This new service will have buses every 30 mins or so to a central location and bus from there. Much better imo. The luas takes 30ish minutes a bus from Newcastle, an hour. Will probably be using the nitelink home from town on Saturday. Free live entertainment with songs, MMA, and the odd offer of a bit of an ol Supermacs chip.

Comment

you are going on my list

You know i was gonna throw you in the white text too but wasn't sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                            Quick RyanAir question

They might take it off you at the gate and put it in the hold, but they won't charge you for it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                              Quick RyanAir question

No, they'll make you check it for free when you get to the gate (and make you pay for the privilege in a few months).

If you don't pay extra you can only bring on a small bag (laptop/handbag)

Comment

Can't believe the DART is taking a pasting in here, best form of public transport in the country ainec.
                                                                                                The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

The luas is way better than buses lads. I usually get a lift to the Luas from Newcastle. This new service will have buses every 30 mins or so to a central location and bus from there. Much better imo. The luas takes 30ish minutes a bus from Newcastle, an hour. Will probably be using the nitelink home from town on Saturday. Free live entertainment with songs, MMA, and the odd offer of a bit of an ol Supermacs chip.
                                                                                                  There's another thing. It's really a waste of resources that everyone has to get cabs home, plenty of other European countries manage to run night time public transport. Obv the taxi driver lobbyists and Dublin Bus unions will never let it happen but it's a complete waste. I'd think maybe about living a bit more outside of town if I knew I could just a DART home.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-09-18, 14:16.

Comment

NFL back tonight, surprising to myself that I'm more excited by this than most other sports starting back. Fantasy NFL is a great way to make you buy in, together with the short season.

Comment

Its not! They've designed a mathematically robust system which maximises the number of people in an area that can move to the places they are most likely to go to based on local population and traffic maps. It's not moving deckchairs around the Titantic or anything even close to that. There's massive gains from the first time you simply applying a basic passenger number optimiser w/ transport time reduction requirement to a transport network that previously didn't have that. No extra resources needed. Private company supply chain management has been run like this for decades, as well as most good cities transport routes. Its literally gain for no cost.

New tickets are time based, not route based. Think its 60 minutes and 90 minutes tickets you'll get now (not sure exact minutes) making the number of buses or Luases you might take irrelevant to cost.
                                                                                                      The whole point of this move is to reduce drastically the number of buses that need to cross the liffey at the same point. That area is a bus carpark and adds a load of time not just to other traffic but also bus journeys.

It happens that this will reduce journey times but the main plan was put in place because it is just incredibly stupid to have a choke point setup that has a knock on effect of stalling all traffic around the city.

Comment

...

Comment

Open House up

People build cities, but cities build people too. This year Open House Dublin delights in and debates the everyday and energetic exchange between Dublin and the people who build it. Dublin is a city and county built of rooms, buildings, streets, railways, pitches, parks and more.

Comment

...

Comment

I have what I hope is a straightforward enough pensions question

Is it worth doing a deal with employer to forgo future pay increases and have them put the amount into increased employer contribution?

Does it make a difference if the employee is already paying the max ?

Comment

Thinking of having this winter's minor obsession to replace the board games of last year (about 200 board games bought between kids and adult games) as ...

... graphic novels.

So I can get download them easily enough, but would prefer to buy physical copies. The problem is new versions of graphic novels cost a fortune. Is there a good place to buy secondhand copies online?
                                                                                                                French graphic novels i hope?

Comment

Thinking of having this winter's minor obsession to replace the board games of last year (about 200 board games bought between kids and adult games) as ...

... graphic novels.

So I can get download them easily enough, but would prefer to buy physical copies. The problem is new versions of graphic novels cost a fortune. Is there a good place to buy secondhand copies online?
                                                                                                                  I bought a lot of used books through www.worldofbooks.com maybe they'll have something. They have an Amazon store too

Comment

Would I need to book a table in Pho Viet for Saturday at 5 or 6pm or would I be grand to just walk in?

Comment

People will possibly remember me sceptically asking about smart home stuff a couple of months ago. The idea of that was basically to stave off the inevitable obsession that was bound to develop. It did not work.

I now have three google home minis, a king's ransom in stupid bulbs and my latest addition is a smart thermostat that knows when I am on my way home and sticks on the heating for me. It's like a disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

Them underground carparks !!
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                          People will possibly remember me sceptically asking about smart home stuff a couple of months ago. The idea of that was basically to stave off the inevitable obsession that was bound to develop. It did not work.

I now have three google home minis, a king's ransom in stupid bulbs and my latest addition is a smart thermostat that knows when I am on my way home and sticks on the heating for me. It's like a disease.
                                                                                                                          what stat are you using?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X