Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    I think you have missed my point.
    2nd paragraph probably does it more succinctly.
    either left or right, the views need to be radical to be heard and so balanced views and actual important points about education, health, tax etc etc etc are lost.
    Is it more important we talk about education standards and improving methods of teaching
    or telling preschoolers they can choose their gender? Obviously one is a radical view and as such garners media attention, clicks and views and the important one is pushed aside for another day.
    No I didn’t miss the point and just didn’t put much thought into the phrasing of my post.

I was agreeing that it’s the bullshit on both sides that make the press. The more that it makes the game press the more it seems like there is no middle ground and you need to pick either over tolerance or over in tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
      Signed up to Eleven Sports on Android for the PGA. I see people crying in the reviews that Chromecast / Smart TV support is not available yet. Can anyone confirm? This is commercial suicide if so. The option to cast your screen may be there but I, like everyone else, likes to respond to messages, take calls and arse on here and Twitter when watching 8 hours of straight Golf.
      It’s a load of bollox. Who is going to subscribe to them long term. A mate of mine has a dodgy plug in to get US channels so probably head over to his on Sunday night. Playing Adare, Lahinch and Doonbeg the next 3 days so won’t really care until Sunday.
      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Germane:

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Germane:

Meh!
          I think that's not far from saying that Marconi was responsible for Hitler.

Well Duh! if there was no radio there would have been no Hitler but the responsibility for letting him do the things he did lay far more with the people who collaborated and failed to resist.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Anyone got any experience of PCP? (not the angel dust sort)

Some of them seem a little too good to be true - or are they just getting you in debt for the rest of your driving life?

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
              It’s a load of bollox. Who is going to subscribe to them long term. A mate of mine has a dodgy plug in to get US channels so probably head over to his on Sunday night. Playing Adare, Lahinch and Doonbeg the next 3 days so won’t really care until Sunday.
              Jesus some trio.

Please put up a trip report and costings of that if you don't mind of course.

The Aul Fella is 60 next year and want to buy a trip similar for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                Jesus some trio.

Please put up a trip report and costings of that if you don't mind of course.

The Aul Fella is 60 next year and want to buy a trip similar for him.
                Adare is €395 which includes caddy.
                Lahinch I think we are getting for €50 and Doonbeg for €90 due to connections (not sure what they are normally)

Will let you know how I get on.
                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post

Some of them seem a little too good to be true - or are they just getting you in debt for the rest of your driving life?
                  No experinece but I think in the main they are locking you into a debt treadmill that most people will struggle to get off. Not terrible value and you get to drive around in a new car but the options are limited later on unless you have the ballon cash payment to hand imo.

Buying cars new every 3 years is burning a lot of depreciation cash and throwing interest on top doesn’t make it better in my view BUT if you fancy a nice flashy car every few years and this makes it work for you then who is to say you’re wrong? At least you’re seeding the second hand market for the likes of me!
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'm under the impression you can avail of it for 2nd/3rd hand cars also

€20k + obv

Comment

€20k + obv
                      You’re probably right for marquee models. The car market over the next few years with evolving technology, EVs and self drive is just fascinating. The whole world of transport is going to be very disrupted over the next 5-15 years and it’s hard to know how to protect yourself from losing a lot of cash as a consumer.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Ok, hard to imagine and interview going worse than this one that was posted up today for a software dev job:

Using a throw away account here. I just need to get this off my chest because I currently feel like Hitler. I haven't told anyone this irl yet because part of me is still hoping I'm asleep and this is a nightmare
                        I interviewed with a small start up in the city this morning. Phone screening went incredibly well, and I was feeling good about this place. They don't have a dedicated room for interviews, and the place was small enough that really all the engineers were just taking part of it
                        We were at the white board and I was drawing a diagram for a system design question. I didn't know they had an office dog. I didn't know the office dog was about 18 and the founders best friend since childhood. I didn't know the little guy (i'm talking super little, like squirrel small) liked to hang around peoples feet.
                        I took a step back from the board to take a look at something better and stepped on her. I don't mean stepped on her foot or something. I mean right on her proper. She gave out a heart shattering yelp and died after squirming a little bit. I still can't fathom that this actually happened. The founder started to sob uncontrollably and I think everyone else was in just as great disbelief
                        I don't know how to try and make something like that right. I don't think I could handle working there even if they did still want me. I just kind of apologized profusely and left. How do you even make up for something like that?

Comment

Last call for FPL Draft league, likely that draft picks will be tomorrow evening.

For those that expressed interest, if that time suits you then you need to get payment to me before then to be in the league. 3 spots left for any takers.
                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

+

+

IPTV sub
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              Ok, hard to imagine and interview going worse than this one that was posted up today for a software dev job:
                              holy fuck.
                              Although I like his optimism thinking he still might get the job
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I havent done one but have looked fairly closely. In general if you have the deposit and you actually want to own the car then HP is a better option.

The way it works is... and we're going to do simple maths here and assume 0% finance

- New car - €30k on the road.

- Depost - €10k

- Payments - €10k in 36 equal payments.

- Balloon payment - €10k.

In effect you have to save the same amount as the payment every month in order to afford the balloon payment at the end. Now the way the dealers want this to work is for you to roll it into a new PCP. So the hope is when you come to pay the final €10k there car should have a value more like €15k. This means you have €5k in "equity" in the car. So to start again on the next €30k car you hand back the car, give them another €5k, and start the payments all over again. Also keep in mind that PCP is mileage limited and there are penalties if you exceed the limits and want to hand the car back.

Same car with hire purchase however....

- €30k OTR

- €15k Deposit

- €15k in payments over 36-60 months depending on preference and ability.

No balloon payment and the car is yours at the end of the last payment.

€20k + obv
                                Correct. However deals will be better on new cars. Skoda and Renault almost always have 0% on most of their range for example.

PCP isn't properly regulated so there is no suitability assessment as there would be with normal finance.
                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Don't do it... My friend got a new Audi on it. Her and the partner constant fighting over it as she lives in holy Cross and works in clonmel he didn't want her driving it as you can only put up so many kms a year.
                                  They had to get it serviced in same place they bought. Among other stuff. Bar its all changed now.
                                  They said never again
                                  Better off going with credit union
                                  Her sky-ness
                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                    Don't do it... My friend got a new Audi on it. Her and the partner constant fighting over it as she lives in holy Cross and works in clonmel he didn't want her driving it as you can only put up so many kms a year.
                                    They had to get it serviced in same place they bought. Among other stuff. Bar its all changed now.
                                    They said never again
                                    Better off going with credit union
                                    Your skyness what great offers from Sky broadband sports basic channels ?

Comment

Have to say android 9 pie is pretty impressive. Phone seems slightly snappier and battery usage has gone way down. Full day's normal usage and battery down only 25%.

Comment

Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                          No experinece but I think in the main they are locking you into a debt treadmill that most people will struggle to get off. Not terrible value and you get to drive around in a new car but the options are limited later on unless you have the ballon cash payment to hand imo.

Buying cars new every 3 years is burning a lot of depreciation cash and throwing interest on top doesn’t make it better in my view BUT if you fancy a nice flashy car every few years and this makes it work for you then who is to say you’re wrong? At least you’re seeding the second hand market for the likes of me!
                                          Is there an optimum year old range to minimise depreciation - very general I know. Always had 2 YO in my head

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post

Correct. However deals will be better on new cars. Skoda and Renault almost always have 0% on most of their range for example.

PCP isn't properly regulated so there is no suitability assessment as there would be with normal finance.
                                            I was looking into a used Octavia recently, 152 or 161, the cost of credit was quite low over a 3 year PCP. However, one thing to note was that the GMFV was a far lower % of the retail price relative to the GMFV of a new car in the same model.

The Volkswagen Group offer some very low or 0% interest rates but the interest is essentially included in the retail price

Personally, I'd have no issue taking out PCP in two instances:

1. You're a low mileage driver who is guaranteed to never go over their mileage allowance. GF plans to use it, does 8-10km a year.

2. You use it to avail of lower cost finance while saving the additional amount to pay the balloon in 3 years.

Obviously, the majority do neither and get harshly penalised on the GMFV. I've seen upwards of 0.12c a KM over the allowance so it can be harsh.

I've decided to buy something for cash as a diesel suits me best for my commute and I fear some sort of diesel penalty is inevitable in the coming years. Not to mention, I can't stomach the thought of the depreciation on newer cars.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...Was reading posts about Telsa on my break...On my break now and one of the requests that came in now was to build PUT option securities for telsa- strike prices asked are 100 & 50 witb a 01/20 maturity date...Someone is thinking it's gonna go wallop anyway lol...

Comment

I prefer the finance option over PCP, very little in the difference if you get a good rate. Renault bank doing 1.2% over 3 years is like free money.

Life is too short to be worrying about depreciating assets, cant take it with you.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                    Is there an optimum year old range to minimise depreciation - very general I know. Always had 2 YO in my head
                                                    A rule of thumb I use is 50% drop in value every 3 years. Work out how much depreciation you can stomach and set your max spend accordingly. Cars in general are just -EV. Transport as a service not an asset will be the way to go in due course. I’m fortunate to get mileage and to not be a car lover so it’s all simple economics for me to minimize losses without buying a pure banger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                      Your skyness what great offers from Sky broadband sports basic channels ?
                                                      6 months half price. Basic ( original bundle) plus sports 34 quid but you have kids so you need the variety bundle 39 quid you selfish fooker
                                                      Broadband 45 e whole contract.
                                                      *sports are only a 31 day contract.
                                                      FB me for more info and obv go through me so I get the commission. I'll get an Outbound call done to you 😁

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      I'd imagine diesel is just going to be outright banned as it's awful stuff from the little I've read (have no actual idea what diesel is). Although that's maybe a decade+ in the future.
                                                      I'm petrol for the first time in about 20 yrs. Advised by my Honda dealership.i was like ugh 1.6 diesel to a 1 litre petrol fuck that. He said diesel will be gone eventually, going forward its all petrol and I'd find very little difference in the power. 1 litre is a bomber and tbf he was right. Its a little more expensive to run but I don't do alot of driving
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

PCP/finance is all fine as long as you actually understand the product you are buying and it works for your situation.

If you need higher miles Skoda will offer you a high mileage PCP.

It's also worth remembering that it can be harder to enforce your consumer rights when under finance as there may be additional mediation or other steps in the event of an issue and the small claims court won't deal with finance cases as you don't own the vehicle until the last payment is made.

Comment

I've been watching Doug Polk's micro challenge, here is a clip of him tilting last night, it's actually hilarious. He snaps like Frank Grimes from the Simpsons.

Talk about a rough day at the office.Check out full written recaps of the bankroll challenge here: https://www.upswingpoker.com/10000-challenge/Upswing Poker...

He was also against this foodles guy all evening and it was amazing
                                                          Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Honestly watching him vs foodles was some of the best entertainment I've had in a long time. Doug is a great streamer and gets emotional. It was absolutely hilarious when time and again foodles would get there and felt him with something like 62o, I was just cracking up watching Doug's resignation and replaying of what foodles did in the hands.

Even the name Mr_Foodles made it funnier.
                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-08-18, 19:48.

Comment

I see another golf major kicks off tomorrow. In line with my stated policy of 'always pick an American with a stupid name', I have backed Bryson Dechambeau.

Get on.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                              ...Was reading posts about Telsa on my break...On my break now and one of the requests that came in now was to build PUT option securities for telsa- strike prices asked are 100 & 50 witb a 01/20 maturity date...Someone is thinking it's gonna go wallop anyway lol...
                                                              Seems like a good time to load up alright

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                I see another golf major kicks off tomorrow. In line with my stated policy of 'always pick an American with a stupid name', I have backed Bryson Dechambeau.

Get on.
                                                                It's a bombers course . Dustin j and Thomas to fight it out . Both on form and fit the bill. No brainers.

Comment

State Department to impose sanctions in response to chemical attack on the UK Salisbury just after Rand Paul delivers personal letter from Trump to Putin.
                                                                  Bizzare

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                    It's a bombers course . Dustin j and Thomas to fight it out . Both on form and fit the bill. No brainers.
                                                                    Be careful on the Zach Johnson front should anybody fancy a bet, there is two in the field this week.
                                                                    Zach J. Johnson a club pro and Zach H. Johnson the 2007 Masters champion and at the time a five-time winner on Tour.

Comment

The episode of 'Parts Unknown' where Anthony Bourdoin goes to Quebec is well worth seeking out on Netflix for any galloping gourmets.

Both hilarious and awesome.
                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The episode of 'Parts Unknown' where Anthony Bourdoin goes to Quebec is well worth seeking out on Netflix for any galloping gourmets.

Only one episode i never liked, the Saudi one, just didn't sit right.

Everything else, tres bien.
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

A rule of thumb I use is 50% drop in value every 3 years. Work out how much depreciation you can stomach and set your max spend accordingly. Cars in general are just -EV. Transport as a service not an asset will be the way to go in due course. I’m fortunate to get mileage and to not be a car lover so it’s all simple economics for me to minimize losses without buying a pure banger.
                                                                          This is very true. In dallas, i got a car lot model jaguar xkr with 280 miles end of 2014, last day of the month with cash, saved a small fortune but it has still dropped almost 40% from what we paid since then. I couldn't stomach facing an even bigger loss circa 60% and interest payments on top.

Comment

It's next on the list for us, we just got through his layover in montreal and toronto, going to canada for new years, and january sp trying to learn as much as possible about food.

It's quite sad and also empowering that one person has revolutionised travel as much as he has had, how many people these days check out what he did before they visit places.

Comment

My wife’s step mother has been doing it in the uk for years. She puts in a few extra k each time she renews and is reducing the cost each time so that when she retires she will own whatever car it is outright at the end. Not sure exactly how much but she worked out roughly what she expects it to need to be.

Seems to be working for her but I guess she can afford the payments which I am guessing is a big issue. More of a lifestyle choice that she wants a new car every 2 years or whatever and this reduces the hassle of it.

Comment

Surprised there isn’t widespread disdain for PCP on an astute forum like this. It’s simply a mechanism to sell new cars to people who can’t afford them.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                    Surprised there isn’t widespread disdain for PCP on an astute forum like this. It’s simply a mechanism to sell new cars to people who can’t afford them.
                                                                                    Disdain is harsh. Buying cars is -EV. Effectively leasing a car via PCP is slightly more -EV but it’s a lifestyle choice really. Blowing money on hookers and coke is -EV too. No one is suggesting it’s a financially sound idea.

I was reading a post on asksboutmoney about a guy who has a 250k household income, is property rich and cash poor, due to some house refurbishment loans. He’s getting ripped apart as if he’s some sort of free spending lunatic. He made some choices he can overall well afford and now he needs to reallocate resources so he’s not cash poor at the end of every month. His real mistake was going on AAM looking for advice from people who grumble over the cost of buying a sandwich. Splash out a few k and get a proper financial review as these things pay for themselves, but I digress...

There’s a lifestyle element to financial advice and the correct answer from a savings perspective is not always the right overall answer. Personally I’d be very very slow to touch a PCP deal but if I needed something very flash and I was cash strapped maybe I’d do it.

To give you a real life example I was pitching myself for a 300k OTE job last year and if I’d gotten it I probably would have gotten myself a Tesla model S on some sort of finance deal as it would have been part of the expected image. Probably not PCP but I’d have considered it. They didn’t get EMEA sign off to hire me so I’m happy to continue commuting in my second hand Nissan Leaf. It gets me in and out in comfort and costs fuck all to run.

If I need a flash car at some point in the future that will allow me earn more, and I don’t have ready cash, of course I’ll do it.

Getting a nicer car to impress the neighbours and paying an explicit or implicit cost is a choice and hardly the worst financial mistake you could make and if you have excess cash why not? Is it any worse then all sorts of other shite we all blow money on? Zuutroy and his aeroplane, me and my shoes, BCB and his lifestyle...

PCP deal on a car?? Unless you’re Ionapaul or Iago* you’re in no place to throw stones imo. * just kidding lads.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                      My wife’s step mother has been doing it in the uk for years. She puts in a few extra k each time she renews and is reducing the cost each time so that when she retires she will own whatever car it is outright at the end. Not sure exactly how much but she worked out roughly what she expects it to need to be.

Seems to be working for her but I guess she can afford the payments which I am guessing is a big issue. More of a lifestyle choice that she wants a new car every 2 years or whatever and this reduces the hassle of it.
                                                                                      To be fair the UK car market just isn't comparable to here. The volumes are significantly different and there is much more room to push dealers on pricing.

Just look at carwow for example... put almost anything in and you will get 10% off list without even visiting a dealer!

There's also manufacturer contributions, super low deposit PCP, PCH (private leasing), and probably others I cant remember or don't know about.

Don't think so. For some people it is, but bp_me noted some smart ways of doing it.
                                                                                      To be fair... I don't think there's a "smart" way to do PCP in Ireland. You either understand the product and it works for your circumstances or you don't and it doesn't with potentially very painful results at the end of term. For what it's worth it looks sort of like when you go for the third PCP in a row is where it's likely to implode.

There are some limited circumstances where PCP can work to the consumer's favour but the manufacturers have gotten smarter about it and now cars with expected higher depreciation have much lower GMFVs (Don't like the term... prefer they call it the lump payment or something as guaranteed value is misleading to the average consumer IMO). There's also some emotive issues around the balloon payment as there have been a few models recently where there was "negative equity" in the car in which case the thing to do was likely to hand the car back and walk away as the product allows for but I suspect it's very difficult for people to feel they are starting from zero after paying for 2/3 of a car over the last three years (the actual correct thing to do was probably to buy out the car and drive it for another few years until the depreciation curve settled).

Ultimately PCP feels like another extension of people's need for instant gratification and it just doesn't sit well with me. It's not difficult to buy a more or less acceptable car for the deposit price on PCP and very reasonably expect to have very few issues with it over the 3 years you would be making payments.

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                      I was looking into a used Octavia recently, 152 or 161, the cost of credit was quite low over a 3 year PCP. However, one thing to note was that the GMFV was a far lower % of the retail price relative to the GMFV of a new car in the same model.
                                                                                      Sorry just realised I should have replied to this.

A low GMFV is actually good for you the consumer if you intend to own the car at the end of the finance (and the monthly payment is acceptable) as it makes it much simpler to have the balloon payment money ready to go.

Another note... obviously the interest is on all of the financed part of the car.. which means the payments and the lump sum.
                                                                                      Last edited by bp_me; 09-08-18, 08:24.

Comment

All this justification for a car on finance is starting to sway me again.

Although I think PCP can be advantageous and I don't think it is designed to take advantage of poor people. It feels a tad ridiculous I can be approved for a 25k car without being paid yet.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                          All this justification for a car on finance is starting to sway me again.

Although I think PCP can be advantageous and I don't think it is designed to take advantage of poor people. It feels a tad ridiculous I can be approved for a 25k car without being paid yet.
                                                                                          Guy I know got an new Audi A4 in his last year of dental college on a car loan back in the good old days. At least you have graduated and secured a job.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                              Guy I know got an new Audi A4 in his last year of dental college on a car loan back in the good old days. At least you have graduated and secured a job.
                                                                                              Fingers crossed

Comment

I'm generally reading what i considered anyway about PCP, that it's just a mechanism to get poor people debt ridden for the chance to own a flashy car. Seems familiar territory.

Might just hope for a decent win in the pokerz or a decent trade to get a few bob together and if needed hit the bank for a perosnal loan, and then pull the trigger late december.

Comment

Maybe this is old news, but what happened to the other two-thirds of tylerdurden?
                                                                                                  Hidden behind the Asian one.

Comment

When I was living in the States during/after the dotcom bust and recession, some of the big car companies there were offering 0% finance on new purchases, which I assume was a better option than buying for cash. Am guessing you can't get that anywhere anymore?

Comment

Maybe this is old news, but what happened to the other two-thirds of tylerdurden?
                                                                                                      Think he mentioned it a few times over the years, major lifestyle changes, cycling, diet. Quite an achievement to combine that with the travelling abroad and living in hotels for 3 months a year, that's usually a recipe for putting on weight.
                                                                                                      VforV might have been involved in the health side - finance and health advice, no limit to his talents.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        VforV might have been involved in the health side - finance and health advice, no limit to his talents.
                                                                                                        Speaking of which, after some pointed lectures from him (V) both here and by PM, I was able to get the pension allocation rate increased this week from 99% to 100% via a couple of phone calls and an email, making a potential difference of around 6K over the life of it.

Comment

Speaking of which, after some pointed lectures from him (V) both here and by PM, I was able to get the pension allocation rate increased this week from 99% to 100% via a couple of phone calls and an email, making a potential difference of around 6K over the life of it.
                                                                                                          That’ll be €500 to my shoe fund please. Bank details being sent by pm.

Comment

Had to go look up that AAM thread on the high salary, high debts guy; have to say I'd like that kind of problem in many respects

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                              Had to go look up that AAM thread on the high salary, high debts guy; have to say I'd like that kind of problem in many respects
                                                                                                              His debts are less than 50% of his net worth and he’s only 40 and in a pretty strong job situation. You’d swear he was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy the way they are going on. I rarely dip in there but it’s always entertaining for a brief dalliance every few months.

Some of the pensions stuff is just painful to read. That forum tilts me! Lol.

Comment

We all need a thing.

I’m getting into DIY at the minute. Something very satisfying being able to learn a new skill and see the fruits of your labour for years to come. Quite basic stuff at the minute but I plan to get more ambitious in time. I’ll post some stuff here as I go.

A friend was waxing lyrical about a fire pit she bought for 30 quid and telling us how we should look into getting one. I did a little eye roll to the Mrs. I’ve been looking up how to make your own from steel and concrete with welding and all sorts involved. Probably cost me 300 quid and hours of work but the satisfaction....priceless. Lol.

Comment

Asides from the deposit depreciating away the minute you drive away and the milage restrictions there can be another very expensive catch with PCP.
                                                                                                                  Any little scrapes and bumps will be repaired by the lads who charge more than brain surgeons for their time and at a few K for a trivial looking scrape or an entire bumper being replaced for a tip off a towbar most of those are claimed through insurance.

I agree with V about it being a lifestyle choice and sure whatever turns you on but IMO test drive a car and then test drive the three year old version of the same car and do the math.

Comment

His debts are less than 50% of his net worth and he’s only 40 and in a pretty strong job situation. You’d swear he was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy the way they are going on. I rarely dip in there but it’s always entertaining for a brief dalliance every few months.

Some of the pensions stuff is just painful to read. That forum tilts me! Lol.
                                                                                                                    I hadn't actually visited AAM for a few years, don't even go to thepropertypin anymore (which has died a death I believe, no time for doom and gloom merchants, probably means a big bust is around the corner!) - I guess we all gotta try to live a little

That being said I went down a rabbit hole for 30 minutes just there and am now seriously thinking about switching my mortgage Anyone do this in the past, how painful is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                      I hadn't actually visited AAM for a few years, don't even go to thepropertypin anymore (which has died a death I believe, no time for doom and gloom merchants, probably means a big bust is around the corner!) - I guess we all gotta try to live a little

That being said I went down a rabbit hole for 30 minutes just there and am now seriously thinking about switching my mortgage Anyone do this in the past, how painful is it?
                                                                                                                      Ive never switched providers but I did break a fixed term mortgage agreement and got a better fixed rate for the princely sum of €80. The monthly saving was 160. A few emails and a phone call so that’s easily worth it.

How much would you notionally save on a bank switch? You could ring your solicitor and get a ballpark on the fee but it’s the hassle of arranging a new mortgage which would be painful. Maybe ring up the new bank and ask them to fill you in on the process and figure out the time and effort required. I’d imagine the saving would need to be good to justify the efforts as rates are coming down generally anyway.

Comment

Definitely a lifestyle choice. I watch a lot of people hemorrhage money on a car they leave at home in Dublin 99% of the time. By the time I have one it'll be driving me. Do quite enjoy driving but am walking distance to town and work. I guess if I had an interest in cars it would be different but the only ones I like are Teslas (mostly cars are just different colours to me), Elon has done his job on me

Comment

I'm just holding out hoping I'll get away with not learning how to drive.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X