Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That documentary "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond", about the making of the Andy Kaufman biopic, is truly outstanding.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

When the Citizen's Assembly came back with these recommendations I thought 'hold on, that's too far'. When it was confirmed as the draft legislation I wondered about it too. Part of me always thought the Repeal campaign was too single speed aswell. Turns out I was completely wrong, and I'm delighted for that to be the case. This is a triumph of inclusive open democracy; of the grassroots meeting the official structures in the middle and everyone getting on the same page. It's utterly glorious!

A few points coming off the end winning margin won't matter one bit.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
        No celebration imo, carry on as if it was expected, no need to rub the act of abortion in anyone's face
        I do agree sensitivity is required, but imo celebrations have nothing to do with abortion.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
          When the Citizen's Assembly came back with these recommendations I thought 'hold on, that's too far'. When it was confirmed as the draft legislation I wondered about it too. Part of me always thought the Repeal campaign was too single speed aswell. Turns out I was completely wrong, and I'm delighted for that to be the case. This is a triumph of inclusive open democracy; of the grassroots meeting the official structures in the middle and everyone getting on the same page. It's utterly glorious!

A few points coming off the end winning margin won't matter one bit.
          All faciltated by Enda Kenny.

The history books will judge him kindly.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

In the future people will look back at Kenny’s constitutional convention as something special in Irish history.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Some rte exit poll supplementary data. 1200 of 3600 polled asked supplementary questions about reasons for voting

82% did not change their vote intention during the campaign.

75% were influenced by personal stories of women from media or from someone they knew

10% influenced by posters

Comment

Imo the big success of the yes campaign was getting out those personal human stories. They definitely swayed my vote to yes despite my reservations on the proposed legislation. Many many more like me I reckon.

Keeping the human story out there and keeping the more militant in their group in the background was critical. Especially when the No side appeared to be almost entirely militant

Comment

Interestingly only 52% said that they believed unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks should be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    In the future people will look back at Kenny’s constitutional convention as something special in Irish history.
                    Guiding us from being within weeks of having to choose between closing schools or hospitals to full employment was quite the achievement too.
                    Most successful government in the history of the state I'm.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That is some margin. Seems all the people who were "scared to admit they were no" were actually the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                        That is some margin. Seems all the people who were "scared to admit they were no" were actually the opposite.
                        It's the Nate Silver special - whenever the conventional wisdom says that the polls are out of line the polls will prove to be out of line in the opposite direction to what the conventional wisdom expects.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          It's the Nate Silver special - whenever the conventional wisdom says that the polls are out of line the polls will prove to be out of line in the opposite direction to what the conventional wisdom expects.
                          I was flicking on 538 and he has the CL final 53-47 in favour of Madrid. His rankings had Bayern as a strongest overall though.

Here's a good article on Liverpool's successes in transfer market among other things https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...tial-champion/

Comment

History says, don't hope
                            On this side of the grave.
                            But then, once in a lifetime
                            The longed-for tidal wave
                            Of justice can rise up,
                            And hope and history rhyme.

Comment

...Bit of a curiosity...So today when they announce the results, they'll also have a full breakdown of M/F and of % of different ages...How do they figure this out, as in how do they know that my vote was made by a Male in his 30's etc...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                ...Bit of a curiosity...So today when they announce the results, they'll also have a full breakdown of M/F and of % of different ages...How do they figure this out, as in how do they know that my vote was made by a Male in his 30's etc...
                                I think that is from the exit polls rather than from the count.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  Guiding us from being within weeks of having to choose between closing schools or hospitals to full employment was quite the achievement too.
                                  Most successful government in the history of the state I'm.
                                  Certainly up there. The very first government sneaks it for me.

Comment

that will be based on the exit polls
                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Brexit and Trump fucked with a lot of minds. I expected it to be about 56% in the end despite a general higher figure from canvbasses etc.

There are going to be a LOT of political commentators and journalists eating crow over the next few days, or at least having it served to them by the women who had been told to ask for less and that they were campaigning wrong.

Comment

They might in the end.

If we want to talk about history though, I think we should be talking about the likes of Mary Robinson who was leading a campaign on this and other social issues in the completely different context of an overwhelming catholic conservative judgemental majority. It was honestly very easy to walk around Dublin the last few weeks with a Yes badge or T shirt on, we were everywhere. Can only imagine what it would be like to fight this thing with tutting around every corner.
                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Kerry close to 60% with Listowel, Killarney and Tralee boxes yet to be opened, which is nice to see. Looks like Roscommon/Leitrim areas that got lampooned for voting no the last time are going to vote yes as well.

This is so comprehensive.

Comment

They might in the end.

If we want to talk about history though, I think we should be talking about the likes of Mary Robinson who was leading a campaign on this and other social issues in the completely different context of an overwhelming catholic conservative judgemental majority. It was honestly very easy to walk around Dublin the last few weeks with a Yes badge or T shirt on, we were everywhere. Can only imagine what it would be like to fight this thing with tutting around every corner.
                                            I don't know if you've seen this article about the 1983 campaign and some of what went on, a great long read.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                              Brexit and Trump fucked with a lot of minds. I expected it to be about 56% in the end despite a general higher figure from canvbasses etc.

There are going to be a LOT of political commentators and journalists eating crow over the next few days, or at least having it served to them by the women who had been told to ask for less and that they were campaigning wrong.
                                              There could be a lot of shy no's in the polls!?

However... if true...

1. The horrible stories on the edges that would have been an easy fix made soft no's feel weird/guilty of a no

2.The Irish are fairly pragmatic all in all, dumb fuck pragmatic but pragmatic... sur if there going abroad for it anyway, they might as well have it here... what did the UN say, sur, ya know they might have a point, the UN cunts

3. The No cunts far outweighed the yes cunts... plus there posters were an abomination to anyone other than the mental zombie jew cultists

All other moves to get rid of the churches power will be easier from here on!

Comment

That and the fact Ireland is naturally a pagan state

Comment

Kerry close to 60% with Listowel, Killarney and Tralee boxes yet to be opened, which is nice to see. Looks like Roscommon/Leitrim areas that got lampooned for voting no the last time are going to vote yes as well.

Id imagine the abuse the last time shook the lazy yes to come out in Ross/Leitrim

They are a fairly backward lot in general, but not that bad

Comment

I'm proud to be Irish today. Also looking forward to Jacks analysis of the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                      I'm proud to be Irish today. Also looking forward to Jacks analysis of the vote.

Comment

Wish Katie Ascough would fuck right off.
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                          Wish Katie Ascough would fuck right off.
                                                          She's in bits here, completely bankrupt nonsense that has been clearly rejected - 87% in her cohort. You won't hear from her again, she represents nothing about Ireland's future.

Comment

Fucking joke tbf. 87% of the under 24s voted yes and the one they pick to come on is this Ascough freak.

Comment

First 33 boxes in Killarney show 57/43. That's pretty good imo. Especially as there was such a push for no over the last week or so. And a lot of it from people in the 28-35 age bracket. Some people I was very surprised surprised about being so vocally no

Comment

So much voter fraud lads, obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                  my face is in ribbons and my moisturising routine destroyed from all the fake beards I had glued to my face all day yesterday in service of the Big Dog, George Soros.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    First 33 boxes in Killarney show 57/43. That's pretty good imo. Especially as there was such a push for no over the last week or so. And a lot of it from people in the 28-35 age bracket. Some people I was very surprised surprised about being so vocally no
                                                                    load of yanks and northern Irish kids "on holiday" for the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                      Kayroo probably involved, spent way too much time covering up on here!

Comment

Jesus... looks like I got out of the UK at the right time

A former mayor of Ipswich, who has lived in the UK since 1979, has been denied UK citizenship.

Inga Lockington, who has been a Liberal Democrat councillor for 19 years and served as mayor in 2007, moved to the UK from Denmark in 1979, when she married her British husband, Tim.

She was given indefinite leave to remain, which was stamped in her passport at the time.

Following the EU referendum, Lockington decided to apply for UK citizenship, a decision that was also influenced by changes to Danish law that meant she wouldn’t lose her Danish citizenship if she became a naturalised Briton.

The Home Office rejected her application, which cost her £1,282, at the end of January on the basis it “cannot be satisfied” that she was permanently a resident in the UK.

Comment

Young people of Ireland, I love you.
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

David Drumm trial, on charges of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting, closing speeches yesterday. Jury deliberations begin on Monday.

Would have been all the talk 10 years ago.

Comment

Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                David Drumm trial, on charges of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting, closing speeches yesterday. Jury deliberations begin on Monday.

Would have been all the talk 10 years ago.
                                                                                Right on time for us to move onto!

Comment

Merrion Road tally came in at 91% Yes

Comment

Stealing that one too Tony

Comment

As many over 65s voted yes as under 25s according to a tweet from Fintan O Toole, class if true
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        Anyone else notice he hasnt posted since around the time that guy was shot in his car

Comment

Wonder will the Polish try follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                            As many over 65s voted yes as under 25s according to a tweet from Fintan O Toole, class if true
                                                                                            I'd imagine thats because under 25 only covers 18-24 and over 65 covers a much wider age span obv. But in terms of an actual yes % I'd imagine it's miles apart.
                                                                                            Last edited by The Situation; 26-05-18, 11:41.
                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

They might in the end.

This is kind of why Kenny's approach to this worked so well. Think about the question Tar posed me yesterday about the alternative amendment to cover hard cases. I was able to point to both the Convention (which later became the Citizens Assembly) and the Oireachtas all party committee to show that there was no alternative. Because the Government did this perfectly. As an exercise in politics it was superb.

There's a long list of people who made this work. For me (on the political side) chief among them, are Judge Mary Laffoy, Enda Kenny, Catherine Noone, Simon Harris, Claire Daly, Roisin Shortall, Colm O'Gorman and Leo Varadkar who frankly timed his input perfectly.

Of everyone I think Simon Harris emerges with the most credit. I was incredibly impressed by him.

Comment

Michael Martin made a very shrewd political move. Had he not FF would be in a dire place right now.

Comment

Certainly up there. The very first government sneaks it for me.
                                                                                                  As a history nerd discussion this would be fascinating. Maybe not for today but I think this government still has time to surpass the first.

Comment

Anyone else think he was looking very sexy with his bit of stubble yesterday?

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                      Anyone else notice he hasnt posted since around the time that guy was shot in his car

Comment

Hahahaha, reminds of this tune...

Do you use a condom?
                                                                                                        No, my wife Eileen doesn't like the smell of burning rubber!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                          I'd imagine thats because under 25 only covers 18-24 and over 65 covers a much wider age span obv. But in terms of an actual yes % I'd imagine it's miles apart.
                                                                                                          Ya that makes more sense
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Very professional looking new video from this folksy singer Emmett posted years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTFbo8MC4Eo
                                                                                                            She wrote the eurovision song too! (not a stalker)

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                            Anyone watching The Handmaid's Tale? Dystopian alt-future drama based on a book of the same name. It has been unrelenting grim this season. It certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea but I have been enjoying it.

S2EP6:
                                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                                            I was beginning to think we would never see a proper resistance and each episode would beat me down with new and unusual ways to continue ramping up the grimness. You really feel like you have struggled with the Handmaids just as a viewer to get this point in the new season so that was a proper fuck yeah moment at the end of this episode: tren:

Opr
                                                                                                            Haven't read your spoiler or watched any of S2 yet, but season 1 was gripping tv. Really interesting dystopian idea, Children of Men's precursor imo. Will certainly be trying to see S2.

...Bought two tickets to Kodaline this morning...It's kinda funny that Ed Sheeran in 2014 was my first ever music concert so had no idea what to expect, and this will be around my 15th since...
                                                                                                            You are a 14 year old girl.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                            cultural appropriation is a load of bollix.

Culture = Cultural Appropriation. No cultures that have ever interacted with another has not changed. Culture has never been, and probably will never be static.

Big win for Leo. All the mo with the progressives and FF look majorly out of touch.
                                                                                                            Michael Martin as always a classy individual who is better than the party he leads imo.

Anyone else think he was looking very sexy with his bit of stubble yesterday?

jesus

Comment

Final Dublin results pretty emphatic.

Dublin Fingal: 76.8% Y; 23.2% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin Mid West: 73% Y; 27% N.
                                                                                                              Dun Laoghaire: 77% Y; 23% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin Bay South: 78% Y; 22% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin West: 73.6% Y; 26.4% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin Bay North: 74.5% Y; 25.5% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin South Central: 74.7% Y; 25.3% N.
                                                                                                              Dublin Central: 75% Y; 24% N.

Comment

good work Ireland.

Only a few more roots of that horrible Japanese Knotweed shite to be fucked out now. Little by little and we'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                  As a history nerd discussion this would be fascinating. Maybe not for today but I think this government still has time to surpass the first.
                                                                                                                  This government is a very odd construct indeed but somehow it works.

The previous government's achievements are of an order of magnitude greater though imo. People forget how close we came to being a colder version of Argentina.

Comment

I do enjoy reading the pool forum on boards from time to time as can be funny sometimes and came across this gem of a post just now.

"I remember once watching a porno where the lad was giving it hammer and thongs to a lass from behind, when unexpectedly, he announced in a thick German accent, "Das is da Champions League!".

That's what I keep thinking of this morning."

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      I'm going to Skellig Michael on Monday, gonna hit for KY tomorrow, any suggestions of somewhere to stay tomorrow evening that isn't Killarney. Somewhere quaint where I might get a few drinks and a local session or something like that would be ideal. I am tight on time tomorrow but if there was somewhere cool to stop en route id consider it so am open to suggestions?
                                                                                                                      Glenbeigh fits that criteria or if you wanna go the other way, Sneem fits the bill. Glenbeigh would be my first preference tbh, the pub there is lively and always has live music.

Comment

Abortions for some, miniature Irish flags for others?

This is a great result though, fuck someone else owning what someone can do with their own body.

Also Liverpool game 3-1 at ht and 5-2 ft is the doug prediction for the day.
                                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Good day to land back in the country, off to Landsdowne Road now to hopefully see two attacking teams go at it.

32-31 pls

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X