Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Hopefully Jack and Denny are delighted that the guide-to-good-living-under-Trump show - the new Roseanne - is playing a belter in the US tv ratings. Just goes to show that if you build a show around a utopic existence under a benevolent leader that the people will tune in.
      Fantastic ratings particularly in the President Trump heartlands.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          I've not. So either quote me where I have or correct your assertion.
          Inferred it from your posts m8

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
            It would appear he has a very very good chance of winning that case.
            He won’t take the case. He would be insane to take that case. It’s a ploy by his lawyers. They say they’re going to sue the Senator who will inevitably back down and issue some middle of the road apology for how he phrased it and it’ll scare off other people from taking pot shots at Jackson.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                He won’t take the case. He would be insane to take that case. It’s a ploy by his lawyers. They say they’re going to sue the Senator who will inevitably back down and issue some middle of the road apology for how he phrased it and it’ll scare off other people from taking pot shots at Jackson.
                Asides from that going after AO'R will lift his acceptability rating with the general public by about 30 points
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

why would a [hypothetical person] in such a scenario not take the case?
                  Same reason no religious group ever pushes for a blasphemy conviction.

If someone tweeted “hypothetical person raped other person” and defamation was alleged then there are a number of defenses open to the original defamor. Worst of the lot from the defamed’s point of view is truth. If the complainant in the criminal trial was willing to give evidence (god help me I don’t see why she would want to) then it becomes a trial about what happened. Except it’s not a criminal standard of proof - it’s civil. So it’s balance of probabilities.

Or he could argue honest opinion. Which could be based on his belief that based on the statements that Jackson and the girl both made that it was honest belief that such an act occurred.

Either way Jackson has to go through the trial again and he would be insane to do so on a civil standard of proof.

It’s how OJ was successfully sued for the murder of Nicole Brown, how Ryanair defended the Rosanna Davison defamation claim (even though they lost the award the jury gave was quite interesting)

I don’t think Jackson would want to take the risk.

Comment

If the complainant in the criminal trial was willing to give evidence (god help me I don’t see why she would want to) then it becomes a trial about what happened. Except it’s not a criminal standard of proof - it’s civil. So it’s balance of probabilities.
                    Would the complainant have the right to anonymity in such a scenario?

Comment

Would the complainant have the right to anonymity in such a scenario?
                      No, hence my comment about her having no good reason to testify. But the above hypothetical person wouldn’t need her to testify - defenses could be run without her involvement.

Albeit her actual anonymity is perfunctory at best, surely?

Comment

No, hence my comment about her having no good reason to testify. But the above hypothetical person wouldn’t need her to testify - defenses could be run without her involvement.

Albeit her actual anonymity is perfunctory at best, surely?
                        Yeah, even getting my hair cut there they were all talking about who she actually is etc, quite detailed court knowledge too. There was plenty of Denny's grim chat going on too from the lads.
                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-03-18, 15:25.

Comment

#suemepaddy the hot hashtag du jour.

He's a bit of a donkey really.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            Can I just say, I'm very much enjoying these posts from Matt, I'm hoping he is not a next gen spambot that'll start selling us dickpills.
                            Not sure what a spambot is, sounds like a Dr Who mutant.

Just a poker enthusiast, and former British Cycling UCI registered rider

I am also a bit of a novice with the IT, so I would certainly not be a next gen. A roll back to zx spectrum would be more likely.

Comment

Comment

Hmm they tried that in the UK a while back, and a few were actually sued. These cases would be taking place in UK too where there's no real coverage of this case.
                                Suing a load of women in order to protect his 'good' name doesn't strike me as very clever.

Comment

Scarlets winning here is good news for Leinster - home semi-final now if they win on Sunday.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Tadhg Beirne was absolutely immense in that game. Richie McCaw-eque!

Comment

He is very good indeed. But no Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Scarlets winning here is good news for Leinster - home semi-final now if they win on Sunday.
                                        Leinster playing the guts of England in the quarters and the guts of Wales in the semis if all goes to plan.

Comment

A good Tipperary man, good addition for Munster next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                            A good Tipperary man, good addition for Munster next year.
                                            Hopefully gets selected for the Australia tour in the summer for Ireland.

Comment

Leinster playing the guts of England in the quarters and the guts of Wales in the semis if all goes to plan.
                                              I think you mean that those lads are up against the guts of the team that whipped them in the 6N.

Home wins all round this w/e please.

Comment

Hopefully gets selected for the Australia tour in the summer for Ireland.
                                                I don't know if he can be until he actually starts playing for Munster.

Anyway Scarlets have been playing him for 80 minutes week in, week out. Give him a break over the summer, let him bed into Munster and he might challenge for a squad place for WC19.

Comment

Comment

Wife went out with her friends for an Indian. They had a battle to convince the waiter the law had changed. Wasn't serving them.

She's staying in her Mam's, along with the kids as we've a guy coming up in the morn to build a kitchen.

I've a fridge full of beer, wings and wedges in the oven and Molly's Game lined up.

It's hereby changed to Awesome Friday.

Comment

I was in buying baileys a minute ago, hadn't even thought that oh, I used to not be able to do this. Of course the place is actually quiet, this new change probably caused less booze to be sold.

That Ready Player One film is out now Hitch, no idea if it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        I was in buying baileys a minute ago, hadn't even thought that oh, I used to not be able to do this. Of course the place is actually quiet, this new change probably caused less booze to be sold.

I hope you're not eating meat today.

Comment

Comment

Had hoped to drink that expensive wine today as an affront the paedo posse but have had a dodgy stomach all week. You win, god.

Comment

It looks so so bad that hopefully it's all an elaborate bluff and it's really amazeballs
                                                              Not very high hopes for it but if it even turns out to be a bit of craic like the book it won't be the end of the world.

Not looking at the Survivor spoilers, is this season any good so far? Thought the gimmick seemed pretty lame. Would love a back to basics season with maybe one hidden idol per tribe and no replacement.

Comment

It looks so so bad that hopefully it's all an elaborate bluff and it's really amazeballs
                                                                I saw it last night. It is fun in a lot of ways, but that's about it. It is less intricate than the book I think and has lots of explody things, but if you aren't expecting a lot you will likely enjoy it. If you think much about it you'll realise it is a load of vapid crap for the most part, but just don't think about it.

Comment

Comment

Bought a set of Van Barneveld darts this morning and went straight into the Kilmardinny to test them. Held the door for a fella a few strides behind me(think Bird from JB Keanes The Field)and I said to him first time in living history wha?. He nodded and sheepishly said howya. First time in living history.... good Friday I repeated and he kinda half nodded still thinking about the first address. Felt he didn't get the good Friday thing or hear it second time but felt I best not say it a third time.
                                                                    Ordered a beer and was then told the darts room was being painted so couldn't play darts, ffs if I knew this I wouldn't have got a pint.
                                                                    Sitting there looking at the book collection mostly books about hard nuts like Lenny McLean etc and the chap I held the door for came over and said "remember you said first time in history? I was saying to myself I don't know that fella and I don't know what he means, I don't know that fella I said to myself. I thought you meant it was the first time you ever held a door open for someone. Then It came to me good Friday and pubs open".
                                                                    That's my good Friday story.

Comment

Comment

There might have been a snort at the end of reading that.
                                                                        ...And we thought them days were gone ������...

Comment

I think you mean that those lads are up against the guts of the team that whipped them in the 6N.

Home wins all round this w/e please.
                                                                          Clermony in bits 9th in the league and have lots of injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                            Clermony in bits 9th in the league and have lots of injuries.
                                                                            Home advantage worth 20 points to them though.

Comment

Toulon plus 3 at Evens my bet of the weekend

Comment

...Read that Ray Wilkons has had a heart attack and fighting for his life...Seems a good man, and good pundit as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I went to see it tonight. It's a bit of a kiddie movie but good fun all the same.

Comment

Molly's Game is good eggs.

Comment

Vintage Rounders.

Comment

"All rights reserved" (Original Video)This guy (Matthew Silver) is a man who runs around nyc in underwear saying and doing radical things. A friend and I sto...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                          Toulon plus 3 at Evens my bet of the weekend
                                                                                          They will surrender monkey it.

Comment

...

Comment

They will surrender monkey it.
                                                                                              Semi radradra, one of Toulon s wingers is ridiculously overpriced at 20/1 for fts. He's also 40/1 to score 2 or more tries. Definitely worth a punt.

Comment

I was thinking about quantum mechanics and and determinism and abortion last night when I couldn't sleep. I typically avoid social issues so I'm not well informed, but I believe that one of the bones of contention is that 'life' begins at conception for the pro-life people, right? But why there? Surely the defining moment would be when the capacity for life exists which is sex. Conception itself requires sex, so the starting line needs to be wound back.
                                                                                                In a sort of Schrodinger's Uterus kind of way, a woman in the fertile time of her cycle is 10% pregnant every time she has sex (until we make the measurement). By refusing to have sex she is essentially agreeing to abort 10% of a baby. By the time she's refused sex 7 times she's aborted over half a baby. Now, if you count all the horn-dogs that women turn down for sex on nights out every single one of them has aborted >99% of a baby.
                                                                                                I reckon people should try this argument on nights out to get the ride with repeal campaigners. Success all but guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                  Internet/Social media more often than not leaves me with an overriding irritable feeling these days, the abundance of hysterical opinions is jarring on the soul.
                                                                                                  I love the diversity of opinion the internet highlights. One man's hysterical opinion is another's prosaic observation. The jarring bit can be the challenge to one own beliefs when confronted with a myriad of differing opinions, across the whole body of internet debate, on a particular subject.

Prior to the internet we had limited exposure to the scope and nature differing options. We also didn't have easily accessible platforms to express our true feelings. Maybe a truer, diverse picture, of human nature is being exposed now and we are struggling to deal with it. Our value systems seems under constant assault to evolve faster, but I would argue this is a positive.

When I was back in college in the late eighties\early nineties, the uniformity of opinion was a little scary. Most discussions on the subject de jour would inevitability end up with a regurgitation of an Irish Times opinion piece.

The Cambridge Analytica shenanigans are interesting in that they tried to alter the corpus of the debate, on particular issues, the US Presidential election and Brexit for example. I guess this is only the tip of the iceberg. But then there have always been impostors and re-regs, but not on this industrial scale. Industrial online manipulation bolstered, with advances in IA, could challenge the honesty of the debate for sure.

That said we are living in a golden age of free expression. Love or loath the internet\social media, we should be very wary of attempts to control or restrict it. Baby and bath water, sticks and stones, thicker skins and better filters.

jack90210 annoys the tits off me, but its testimony to the spirit of this place that he is still around. The optimist in me believe that Jack, for one, is becoming a better person as a result.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Wombatman; 31-03-18, 12:38.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                    Most discussions on the subject de jour would inevitability end up with a regurgitation of an Irish Times opinion piece.
                                                                                                    Frightening.

Comment

That's mad, WP Murray

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        That's mad, WP Murray
                                                                                                        Shockingly poor decision

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          Shockingly poor decision
                                                                                                          On what grounds? The ruck ceases to exist after the knock on.

Comment

On what grounds? The ruck ceases to exist after the knock on.
                                                                                                            Ball wasn't knocked on. TMO says not clearly forward, then Nigel says, what clearly forward? Correct. Then Murray was not behind last foot. Shocker

Comment

Ball wasn't knocked on. TMO says not clearly forward, then Nigel says, what clearly forward? Correct. Then Murray was not behind last foot. Shocker
                                                                                                              Looked forward to me.

Comment

Shockingly poor decision
                                                                                                                The knock on is marginal but it does bounce forward after goes backwards first.

Comment

The knock on is marginal but it does bounce forward after goes backwards first.
                                                                                                                  Doesn't matter. It went backwards from the hands, that's all that matters

Comment

. Then Murray was not behind last foot. Shocker
                                                                                                                    Ah No Murray is way onside when the 'alleged' knock on happens, that and the other parts they looked at were 100%

Comment

Ah No Murray is way onside when the 'alleged' knock on happens, that and the other parts they looked at were 100%
                                                                                                                      I don't think so but was close. Will be interesting to see the analysis later

Comment

Doesn't matter. It went backwards from the hands, that's all that matters
                                                                                                                        Actually, yeah that's the rule for passes anyway and I suppose there's no reason why a knock on should be different

Comment

Munster need to take advantage of this luck. Another score here will put Toulon over the edge psychologically.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X