Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
    Neither did La La Land
    It won six Oscars...

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      It won six Oscars...
      I think she was talking about best picture going by the others listed that all won.
      Profit before people.

Comment

I think she was talking about best picture going by the others listed that all won.
        I wasn't really knew it won a load of stuff etc ah ya get me
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

They also won lots of the other oscars too.
          Regardless the post replied to was clearly talking about any oscar.

[Butterfly Effect]
          Didn't win an Oscar. I gave it a personal. One

Oscar betting.
          Is there any categories with a bit of a sweat on? I though Best Director might have been a coinflip. But seems like Guillermo Del Toro is a lock at 1/10

Comment

Since I'll be watching I punted Shape of Water (13/8) and Sally Hawkins (16/1).

Comment

It's 1.24 in the ICU and CC has finally stopped tripping. He doesn't think he's had any morphine since Thursday, but can't be certain of anything really. Moving to a regular ward in the morning. Looking forward to a few hours continuous sleep.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...de-astori-dies

This pretty tragic. Although kinda drastic to cancel all the days games because of it. Don't think the premier league would do that for a Jordan Henderson or whoever.
                They would.
                "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Interesting results coming from the incomplete vote counts in Italy. 5 Star and the League both performing above expectations. Significantly the League beating Forza Italia meaning Matteo Salvini would be PM if they can form a viable coalition. Crushing defeat for the incumbents.
                  Last edited by jack90210; 05-03-18, 07:34.

Comment

Have Birdman recorded but never got round to watching it and have put it off a few times due to some people knocking it. Must give it a spin so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      Have Birdman recorded but never got round to watching it and have put it off a few times due to some people knocking it. Must give it a spin so.
                      It is a bit weird in fairness, but I did enjoy it. You may well not though.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                        Interesting results coming from the incomplete vote counts in Italy. 5 Star and the League both performing above expectations. Significantly the League beating Forza Italia meaning Matteo Salvini would be PM if they can form a viable coalition. Crushing defeat for the incumbents.
                        I knew next to nothing about this last week before the daily show bit.
                        Italian politics is and always has been fucking mental
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          I knew next to nothing about this last week before the daily show bit.
                          Italian politics is and always has been fucking mental
                          Please please don't base your knowledge on a topic off what John Oliver says!!!

Comment

John Oliver doesn't do the daily show.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                              John Oliver doesn't do the daily show.
                              He was the one who did the Italian piece recently so assume DP was referring to John Oliver.

Same advice would apply to any of those "comedians".

Comment

We watched three Oscar hopefuls over the past week; Ladybird, The Shape of Water and I, Tonya. Enjoyed I, Tonya the most, thought The Shape of Water was a bit rubbish (a bit self indulgent maybe?) and Ladybird was total meh (think Saoirse is a great actress though, Brooklyn was really good).

Having a new baby seems like a great excuse to stay in and watch TV/movies! Back in the office today, trying to remember how work goes...

Comment

He was the one who did the Italian piece recently so assume DP was referring to John Oliver.

Why do you watch something you have no interest in, and vehemently disagree with? It is a bit odd.

Comment

Just had my pacing wires removed. Wasn't even aware they were a thing, nevermind having them.
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Why do you watch something you have no interest in, and vehemently disagree with? It is a bit odd.
                                      To avoid the echo chamber.

Comment

Yeah it was last week tonight.

Between the italian elections, AFd, Xi's presidency for life bid, Brexit, US politics going further right and Russia starting an arms race, it is like the opening chapter in the origins of WW3
                                        /hyperbole
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Between the italian elections, AFd, Xi's presidency for life bid, Brexit, US politics going further right and Russia starting an arms race, it is like the opening chapter in the origins of WW3
                                          /hyperbole
                                          Never been a better time to be alive. Gonna be grand DP.

Comment

To avoid the echo chamber.
                                            Do any of the views expressed in those type of programmes make you change your mind or reevaluate your views?

Comment

Interview presentation seemed to go pretty terribly. Pretty sure it's impossible to talk about anything in a meaningful way in 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                Interview presentation seemed to go pretty terribly. Pretty sure it's impossible to talk about anything in a meaningful way in 10 minutes.

Toastmasters helps tremendously here.
                                                I would have never have believed I would recommend it before doing it but it's great for giving you experience in shaping and delivering presentations, interviews etc

Comment

The teaching presentation was a lecture that would typically run for an hour condensed down to 10 mins, and the research one was 'career to date plus 5 year plan' in 10 mins!

Only positive is that everyone is in the same boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                    Never been a better time to be alive. Gonna be grand DP.
                                                    The tariff announcements are the work of a stable genius, yeah?
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

/hyperbole
                                                      What's the connection between 5 of those 6 phenomena?
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                        meh, I've done tons of interviews (as interviewer) and people frequently zero in on what they think was important - it usually isn't. 'twill be grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                            It's 1.24 in the ICU and CC has finally stopped tripping. He doesn't think he's had any morphine since Thursday, but can't be certain of anything really. Moving to a regular ward in the morning. Looking forward to a few hours continuous sleep.
                                                            Great to hear you moving to a normal ward. But I do have to ask the question. What did they do to your heart?

Reason I am asking, you are the only one to thank the post with the picture of the hot girl with the brennan's undies haha.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                              Great to hear you moving to a normal ward. But I do have to ask the question. What did they do to your heart?

Reason I am asking, you are the only one to thank the post with the picture of the hot girl with the brennan's undies haha.
                                                              'twas obviously a good Catholic hospital so they removed the ghey while they were in there

Comment

Do any of the views expressed in those type of programmes make you change your mind or reevaluate your views?
                                                                Rarely but I still like to know all the angles of a debate.

Comment

I'm curious to see how it plays out.
                                                                  It's going to be fascinating if this is something that is actually followed through on or was just a quick stock dump by his friends to make money. I also don't think the USA can win a trade war against both Europe and China, I don't know much about it though so enlighten me if i'm talking out of my arse.

I think the midterms are going to shape the future of the USA for the next 10 years, especially with the PA gerrymandering case being decided in the courts, it will lead to some other challenges around the country.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                    I imagine that's because the rest of us seen it 3 days ago while he was out.

Comment

The early birds have pumped the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition™
                                                                      up to a very respectable €1,250. The more relaxed sorts will no doubt take us over the €2k summit - get in on the action today and win all dem monies.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        Just because new problems are being created, doesn't mean that the overall quality of life of the world isn't getting better. 300,000 people will be connected to the electricity grid today. Part of the reason people like Trump exist is because everyone's convinced the world is in a jock, therefore radical change is required. In actual fact the world is doing great and getting better. The right wing side of this coin is sending a troll to the whitehouse. The life wing side is identitity politics, communism and anarchy. Both are terrible solutions to a non-existent problem.

If we all stopped freaking out, things would get better, or at least they would stop getting worse.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                          Just because new problems are being created, doesn't mean that the overall quality of life of the world isn't getting better. 300,000 people will be connected to the electricity grid today. Part of the reason people like Trump exist is because everyone's convinced the world is in a jock, therefore radical change is required. In actual fact the world is doing great and getting better. The right wing side of this coin is sending a troll to the whitehouse. The life wing side is identitity politics, communism and anarchy. Both are terrible solutions to a non-existent problem.

If we all stopped freaking out, things would get better, or at least they would stop getting worse.
                                                                          Are there any studies/measurements about whether people are getting happier?

Comment

it's the downside to almost perfect informational symmetry - everyone thinks everything is important and thus amplified.

Things were better when only important people knew things.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              how can you measure an emotion?

the HDI is a better measure imo

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                how can you measure an emotion?

the HDI is a better measure imo
                                                                                I imagine it's self-reported. Thanks for the link - I've come across HDI before but not sure how much I delved into it. It looks superficially decent at least - life expectancy seems like a fairly easily agreed upon measurement. Without saying extra education and extra money are bad (obviously) using them as analogs for happiness feels like it has some sort of ideological presuppositions baked in that someone just self-reporting doesn't.

For example, I think I remember seeing some study that peoples' happiness doesn't increase with income after some level, say 100k or something. So HDI may increase but it has no positive impact on how happy a person might be.

Comment

I imagine it's self-reported. Thanks for the link - I've come across HDI before but not sure how much I delved into it. It looks superficially decent at least - life expectancy seems like a fairly easily agreed upon measurement. Without saying extra education and extra money are bad (obviously) using them as analogs for happiness feels like it has some sort of ideological presuppositions baked in that someone just self-reporting doesn't.

For example, I think I remember seeing some study that peoples' happiness doesn't increase with income after some level, say 100k or something. So HDI may increase but it has no positive impact on how happy a person might be.
                                                                                  I think that's the problem though.

People are convincing themselves that they are unhappy even though their material circumstances are better than ever. Then you have malevolent actors who have a vested interest in spreading fear and hatred in the liberal democracies - hence Trump, Brexit, AfD, Northern League etc etc, where people seek to blame 'The Other' (the EU, Mexicans, Arabs, take your pick) for all of their perceived problems.

Luckily we in Ireland haven't succumbed to this (much) yet.

The good news is that most of the outcomes (Trump, Brexit) have been so manifestly awful that there should be a swing back to the centre as a result. One would hope.

Comment

I see an article about that study here suggesting that the income level (75k USD in this case) is the limit at which day to day happiness is affected by income.

It goes on to say that overall contentment with life outside of day to day is still improved by earning more money - so the study's result is a lot less powerful than the impression I had. Would seem to bolster the validity of the HDI notion.

A new study by Princeton University researchers puts a figure on happiness: $75,000 a year

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                      Just had my pacing wires removed. Wasn't even aware they were a thing, nevermind having them.
                                                                                      Make sure they cut the red wire 1st.no no the blue wire.

Comment

quite an interesting chapter in this in Sapiens.
                                                                                        The tl;dr version is peoples baseline of happiness doesn't change much no matter the circumstances.
                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                        take a dude winning the lotto and a dude losing a leg. Ask them each before the event how happy they are and about 5 years later. The happiness shock will have abated and both should be normalized more or less.

Our desire to improve our happiness has dramatically increased (largely thanks to our perceived perception of the happiness of others) and we are looking for wackier and wackier ways to change it.
                                                                                        Which also ties into the books quite ringing endorsement of buddahism

Comment

Baby steps. We're in the process of eliminating starvation.

Happiness is a terrible measure of quality of life anyway. At risk of going full Peterson, people need meaning and purpose. But first they need to not be dying from preventable illnesses.
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I see an article about that study here suggesting that the income level (75k USD in this case) is the limit at which day to day happiness is affected by income.

It goes on to say that overall contentment with life outside of day to day is still improved by earning more money - so the study's result is a lot less powerful than the impression I had. Would seem to bolster the validity of the HDI notion.

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...019628,00.html
                                                                                            Not feeling like death perks me up no end. Im a health over wealth advocate ..I know you can have both but my attitude to money is meh.

Comment

it's the downside to almost perfect informational symmetry - everyone thinks everything is important and thus amplified.

Things were better when only important people knew things.
                                                                                              I'm convinced at this point that the nerds should have kept the internet to themselves.

Comment

I'm convinced at this point that the nerds should have kept the internet to themselves.
                                                                                                +1
                                                                                                it really was (with a generous application of rose tinted glasses) quite magical when I started out.
                                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-03-18, 12:23.

Comment

I think that's the problem though.

People are convincing themselves that they are unhappy even though their material circumstances are better than ever. Then you have malevolent actors who have a vested interest in spreading fear and hatred in the liberal democracies - hence Trump, Brexit, AfD, Northern League etc etc, where people seek to blame 'The Other' (the EU, Mexicans, Arabs, take your pick) for all of their perceived problems.

Luckily we in Ireland haven't succumbed to this (much) yet.

The good news is that most of the outcomes (Trump, Brexit) have been so manifestly awful that there should be a swing back to the centre as a result. One would hope.
                                                                                                  That's an interesting question though, isn't it?

If people are convinced they are less happy despite improving material circumstances the conclusion that people are fooling themselves isn't one we should be drawing automatically! It's like saying your feet are the wrong size for your shoes - the problem is stated the wrong way round.

Someone who is convinced they are less happy is less happy.

It's possible there is no inherent relationship between improving material circumstances and improving feelings of happiness. I'm not saying that's the case, but it's something I've found myself wondering about over the last few years. One thing I have definitely noticed amongst people around my age in my sort of demographic is a tendency to focus on career progression, increased salary, accumulation of stuff etc in place of reflecting on whether or not these things are improving their general sense of well-being. This would seem to be the sort of three card trick a world dominated by profit motive would want to play so it's worth thinking about I think.

A bit of a ramble admittedly, so apologies - it just happens my sister is thinking about taking a break from a very stressful career to go and live and work somewhere sunny for a while which has this stuff in my head.

Comment

Some may enjoy: https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Opti.../dp/0061452068

It offers a different perspective to the usual doomsday stuff, Ridley is an advocate of Brexit I believe and he makes a good core argument. I read it straight after Sapiens and they were quite juxtaposed.

Bill Gates strongly opposes a number of his points on aid etc but offers a fairly balanced review: https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books/Afr...lawed-Theories

Comment

Think we've only so much capacity for happiness and it relies on a more relative measure, something like expectations minus reality. In evolutionary terms, being content and happy doesn't do much for drive and the spread of the species. Don' think it's something that we should be using as the main measure.

Presume hotspur will pop in and school us at some stage.

Comment

the net is still capable of greatness though.

I want to show You very cool project-how to recieve the real photos of the earth only by using a SDR device (dvbt tuner with rtl2832u chipser) and home made ...

I want to do this.

Comment

Baby steps. We're in the process of eliminating starvation.

Happiness is a terrible measure of quality of life anyway. At risk of going full Peterson, people need meaning and purpose. But first they need to not be dying from preventable illnesses.
                                                                                                          That just seems like begging the question. How do you judge quality of life without recourse to happiness?

Meaning and purpose is similarly hand wavy. How do we judge what a good purpose is without asking whether focussing on it makes anyone any happier?

I enjoy my work but don't particularly believe I'm making the world a better place by helping to design slightly improved chips for data centres so that facebook and google can more efficiently harvest peoples' data.

The tl;dr version is peoples baseline of happiness doesn't change much no matter the circumstances.
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          take a dude winning the lotto and a dude losing a leg. Ask them each before the event how happy they are and about 5 years later. The happiness shock will have abated and both should be normalized more or less.

Our desire to improve our happiness has dramatically increased (largely thanks to our perceived perception of the happiness of others) and we are looking for wackier and wackier ways to change it.
                                                                                                          Which also ties into the books quite ringing endorsement of buddahism
                                                                                                          I'm still reading that in drips and drabs so didn't realise there was much about Buddhism in it. I've been doing a lot of reading on that topic in the last couple of years and find the worldview very interesting.

The example in your spoiler is a good one. It sort of raises a question about whether scrambling to achieve increased materiel wealth is just a big waste of time for most of us.

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                          Not feeling like death perks me up no end. Im a health over wealth advocate ..I know you can have both but my attitude to money is meh.
                                                                                                          Yeah I think life expectancy - where it suggests better genereal health at least - is the easiest measure to agree on.

Comment

A bit of a ramble admittedly, so apologies - it just happens my sister is thinking about taking a break from a very stressful career to go and live and work somewhere sunny for a while which has this stuff in my head.
                                                                                                            Power out sigh. Fire alarm started going off too. American guy downstairs was in a serious quandary about disabling the system.

"I'd say we'll be ok for tonight mate"
                                                                                                            The guy downstairs was giving out that the alarm going off was the worst thing ever, pretty clear he'd had a relatively sheltered life. Was pondering on that when I tried to go back to bed. What's the optimal level of comfort for happiness, or is there any? Does it just balance at a certain point? If one is used to opulence, even a minor drawback is an ordeal.

The desire for comfort and hedonism can never really be fully satiated so maybe only a good life can lead to happiness?

Comment

That just seems like begging the question. How do you judge quality of life without recourse to happiness?
                                                                                                              Kayroo will be ecstatic.

Comment

Kayroo will be ecstatic.
                                                                                                                In which case my post can be said to have fulfilled a meaningful purpose

Comment

Pretty sure I be happier winning the lotto rather than losing a leg.

The example in your spoiler is a good one. It sort of raises a question about whether scrambling to achieve increased materiel wealth is just a big waste of time for most of us.
                                                                                                                  Not really, would prefer to keep the leg.
                                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Not sure you got his point.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Meaning and purpose is similarly hand wavy. How do we judge what a good purpose is without asking whether focussing on it makes anyone any happier?

I enjoy my work but don't particularly believe I'm making the world a better place by helping to design slightly improved chips for data centres so that facebook and google can more efficiently harvest peoples' data.
                                                                                                                      They're all extremely subjective values. It would be very difficult to measure them objectively, and if we did, we wouldn't come up with a one-size-fits-all answer. That's why we maximise for freedom in the western world. We let people engage in the pursuit of happiness, whatever that means to them. If you're sister's pursuing something and finds that it's not making her happy, she is perfectly free to change tack. In fact she should. The only pressure she's under to continue in the high paying job, at the end of the day, comes from within herself.

Comment

The guy downstairs was giving out that the alarm going off was the worst thing ever, pretty clear he'd had a relatively sheltered life. Was pondering on that when I tried to go back to bed. What's the optimal level of comfort for happiness, or is there any? Does it just balance at a certain point? If one is used to opulence, even a minor drawback is an ordeal.

The desire for comfort and hedonism can never really be fully satiated so maybe only a good life can lead to happiness?
                                                                                                                        Pretty sure I remember somebody shockingly similar to you on a course about this
                                                                                                                        Craving leads to suffering - Siddhartha Gautama/Buddha. Basically the aim is not to be happy it is to be content.

Since this is out of reach or not desirable for most people I'd agree with you on the good life, living a life which you feel is a good one, doing something you think is worthwhile and maintaining relationships. We certainly won't be looking back with fondness at our shoe collections as we approach game over.

Comment

The only pressure she's under to continue in the high paying job, at the end of the day, comes from within herself.
                                                                                                                          Not necessarily. She may have commitments (or indeed aspirations) on behalf of her dependents. Housing and education being the two primary examples.

Hence the need to maintain and improve upon her high-paying circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X