Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The philosophy presumes that group identity is paramount
      His entire shtick depends on you being dumb enough to buy this lie.

Hes a pseudo scientific fraud and frankly I'm disappointed that you still haven't seen through him Andy.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Hellloooo New God. That guy has some way about him. That's probably the most sense crammed into 30 minutes I've ever seen.
        Mixing up a bunch pf pseudoscience lies with nuggets of the absolutely bleedin obvious is a good recipe for selling books and getting you tube hits I suppose
        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-01-18, 22:07.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Hes a pseudo scientific fraud and frankly I'm disappointed that you still haven't seen through him Andy.
              Pseudo scientists don't tend to have a h-index of 50.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  Might be true for physicists but psychologists who happen also to be extreme libertarians

Comment

^^^ we might explain that that means he has 50 academic articles cited at least 50 times by other papers!

Would any Irish academics have that?
                    A good few I'd say. I know of one guy in trinners who's in the 70s

Comment

Brady is unreal
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Brady is unreal
                          ...This this this...

Comment

10 point deficit. 1 quarter to go. Your best 2 receivers injured. The best D in the league. An injured hand.

Tough spot.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

You're on the wrong side of reality m8
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                10 point deficit. 1 quarter to go. Your best 2 receivers injured. The best D in the league. An injured hand.

Tough spot.

it wasn't just tom who won it!

Comment

Freud has a h-index of over 270, possible the highest of anybody ever. Yet, he's generally considered a hack these days.

Comment

Google Scholar has me at h-index of 9 albeit with a nice upward curve that remarkably reflects starting to actually work for first time around the time the daughter was born (2011) and the lag to publication and citations starting in 2013.
                                    500+ citations. I'm impressed.

The latest (The Role of Feelings) appears to be much better received that the first (7 deadly sins).

Comment

The lad Martion Fuctovics who Roger Federer is playing tonight has come from nowhere to beast his way to the 4th round. A quick google image of him would tell the whole story. Probably worth a few cent at 25's he's that juiced to the gills.
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Enjoyable beatdown of vikes. Pats will be a different story

Comment

The video was grand of Peterson, I think that seems like basic stuff (at least until it got to the reaching trans stuff), the reporter was just doing her job. In general the post below about him has summed him up for me (however I imagine the followers are wider than this conveys).:

Peterson is a psychologist. He was widely unknown until his video on gender pronouns went viral among right-wing internet sites, riding a recent wave of pseudo-intellectual conspiracy theories about Marxism and postmodernism. In every case, including Peterson, these theories rely more upon the emotional reaction of the audience to faux-controversies around Tumblr or college activists than charitable understanding of the cited texts. Ironically, it seems to me, that Peterson's popularity is a consequence of the internet right's ignorance of conservativism's intellectual pedagree, seeking to fill the void with whoever presents the most impressive justification for their prejudices.

After that, Peterson's psychology is as interesting as it was before his sudden stardom among transphobics and the 'alt-right.' There are interesting ideas there, mostly borrowed from past thinkers like Campell's comparative mythology, Aristotle's teleology, William James' pragmatism, phenomenology, and others, so that his audience is understandably impressed upon encountering these views for the first time. I suggest, though, that they research these concepts independently of Peterson, who I do not consider a reliable source, as well as reading conservative thinkers like Edmund Burke, Alexis de Tocqueville, and Russell Kirk.
                                            He is called unreliable because his interpretations of many philosophical theories can be quite bad. He became the mascot of /r/badphilosophy so much so that they had to cut down on submissions about him. That however is not a reason to dismiss things he says that are more under his remit.
                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-01-18, 02:21.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                              The lad Martion Fuctovics who Roger Federer is playing tonight has come from nowhere to beast his way to the 4th round. A quick google image of him would tell the whole story. Probably worth a few cent at 25's he's that juiced to the gills.
                                              This guy?
                                              SPOILER

Presumably that's an old photo as he doesn't look particular juicy.

It's sorted by most citations by default, so that's not one of the most recent. It's puts me highly ranked for my school, but it's absolutely nothing really compared to the top guys. But the upward momentum is highly saleable though for promotions and other jobs, so hopefully can keep it up!

Fairly certain zuut is way higher.
                                              Ah, figured it was chronological?

Zuuts, where you at?

Comment

Similar citations...10 on the h-index. Last few years have been mostly focused on teaching so have stalled a bit. Hoping to get things moving again soon.

Comment

Kodi 18 set to integrate emulators:

This exciting new version of Kodi gives you access to emulators for dozens of retro gaming consoles such as Atari, Commodore 64, Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Color, MS-DOS, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Super NES...

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

This exciting new version of Kodi gives you access to emulators for dozens of retro gaming consoles such as Atari, Commodore 64, Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Color, MS-DOS, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Super NES...
                                                    cool, been farting around with OSMC alpha build for months which invaribily led to me having to rebuild my Pi each time.. The Xbone integration also will be interesting here.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Link for more info?
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Got stuck on the MMA one, can't even figure out who the runners and riders are and attempts at research make me despair for the future of humanity

Can't even figure out if current champ is a fav or a non runner , oddschecker and PP not really helping me... anyone able to point me at a relevant market
                                                        Bit of a hiccup on this one. Current middleweight champ has pulled out of his title defense next month. Top two contenders will fight for an interim belt so Whittaker stays the champ for the time being but by the sounds of it he's in a pretty bad way health wise which may end up with him being stripped if he can't make a comeback in the next 6 months or so

Comment

Nvidia Shield is some bit of Gear must say. I have a pre-digital LCD Telly and it has convinced me to wait for OLED prices to come down to normal levels.
                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                            Link for more info?
                                                            bit of info here but google kodi 18 leia, and there's loads of sources, even a reddit subforum

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                              Bit of a hiccup on this one. Current middleweight champ has pulled out of his title defense next month. Top two contenders will fight for an interim belt so Whittaker stays the champ for the time being but by the sounds of it he's in a pretty bad way health wise which may end up with him being stripped if he can't make a comeback in the next 6 months or so
                                                              He's legitimately injured. Can't imagine he gets stripped in that kind of time frame. He'll get to at least the end of the year unless he knows now that he's out for a long while.

Gutted for him, he'll probably miss the commonwealth games.

Comment

Michael McGrath at 2.5 for next Fianna Fáil leader could be buying money.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                  The video was grand of Peterson, I think that seems like basic stuff (at least until it got to the reaching trans stuff), the reporter was just doing her job. In general the post below about him has summed him up for me (however I imagine the followers are wider than this conveys).:

He is called unreliable because his interpretations of many philosophical theories can be quite bad. He became the mascot of /r/badphilosophy so much so that they had to cut down on submissions about him. That however is not a reason to dismiss things he says that are more under his remit.
                                                                  I'll admit I came to him with no grounding at all in philosophy, but I was reasonably left wing before I started. Now I'm completely alienated from the left, in particular the regressive left and their greatly increasing influence. I didn't have any particular right wing prejudices that needed reinforcing. Rather I was intellectually curious and was harbouring some cognitive dissonance, certainly about the far left, it’s goals, methods and its endgame.

I would say I am keenly aware of how he molds ideas to justify his conclusions. As a devout anti-theist and huge fan of Christopher Hitchens, I was extremely sceptical of his views on religion and continue to be. He has softened me on the topic by showing an interpretation of Christianity that is almost completely wholesome, but I think he's greatly understating the scope of how those ideas can be misinterpreted and malformed to produce terrible outcomes. I’d firmly be on the Bret Weinstein camp, if you’ve seen his debate with Peterson on Joe Rogan on this topic.

I’m keenly aware that there’s probably other topics for which he is doing the same thing or similar, but have yet to see any reasonable criticisms of him in any other sphere that actually criticise his actual arguments. Rather I see a ton of strawmen and unfounded claims, appeals to authority and ad hominem attacks that just lead me further into thinking he’s right about a hell of a lot.

The above insinuation that none of his ideas are particularly original is utter nonsense. Whoever wrote it showed that they hadn’t read Maps of Meaning, watched his biblical lectures or listened to any of his lectures beyond a few soundbite clips. The fallacy is in some way understandable since Peterson spends a tremendous amount of time retreading old territory. This isn’t because he hasn’t got any new ideas, rather because our society has become so utterly unattached to the truths contained there. His highlighting of the wisdom contained in the writings of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and George Orwell (beyond 1984) exemplifies this.
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

^^^^^^^
                                                                    Where the fuck did you copy and paste that from?

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                      ^^^^^^^
                                                                      Where the fuck did you copy and paste that from?
                                                                      Had to write it in Word to make it look like I was working lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                        Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                        He's legitimately injured. Can't imagine he gets stripped in that kind of time frame. He'll get to at least the end of the year unless he knows now that he's out for a long while.

If necessary for the gambling comp I'll be expecting Mellor to make a call on 31/12/18 as to who (if anyone) is official UFC MW champion.
                                                                        Probably be a good idea to appoint 3 judges for these sort of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It's staph infection in his stomach so the worry would be more that he won't be back in training any time soon and they may not want to mess around with interim belts any longer.

Comment

I seem to have misplaced a key for an internal door (think it's was mortice lock), anyone in the city cheaper than the €125 quoted by most lockmsiths online?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              I seem to have misplaced a key for an internal door (think it's was mortice lock), anyone in the city cheaper than the €125 quoted by most lockmsiths online?
                                                                              Are they just basta lock keys? If so there are only a few variations of those keys I think. Try keys from other doors and buy the numbered ones you don't have.

If not, I have no suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                Michael McGrath at 2.5 for next Fianna Fáil leader could be buying money.
                                                                                It's a pity he is taking the stance he is taking. Also, him saying that he is taking a view because it represents the majority of people in Ireland BEFORE a referendum takes place is a strange one. He should just be honest and say that he knows FF are supported by a lot of old people and they are against it.

If all parties took the compassionate line that is in line with the rest of the civilised world, let the old people vote for the independent religious type if they want to.

Comment

Thoughts on paying a lump sum off the mortgage? I did so last year as my savings were doing nothing (obv wish I stuck it all into BTC!), the calculator reported that I'd save way more in interest over the lifetime of the mortgage by using my lump sum in this way than I would in the context of the minuscule deposit savings interest.

Another year on, I'm still disgusted by the pathetic return on my savings and am tempted by doing the same thing again.

Am guessing my plan might be the prudent one but am I missing anything crucial? Obv the opportunity cost of losing access to that lump sum is something to think about, but the only really important reason I can think of for retaining a lump sum is the need for a house deposit for the next time we move.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    It's a pity he is taking the stance he is taking. Also, him saying that he is taking a view because it represents the majority of people in Ireland BEFORE a referendum takes place is a strange one. He should just be honest and say that he knows FF are supported by a lot of old people and they are against it.

If all parties took the compassionate line that is in line with the rest of the civilised world, let the old people vote for the independent religious type if they want to.
                                                                                    I appreciate your opinion but you do know that the no voters will think they are the compassionate ones for wanting to save innocent life. The yes side clearly favour been compassionate to the mother more so.

Comment

I appreciate your opinion but you do know that the no voters will think they are the compassionate ones for wanting to save innocent life. The yes side clearly favour been compassionate to the mother more so.
                                                                                      That is certainly an argument.

On mcgrath though, if he used moral reasons for his stance I'd say fair enough, bit him purporting to uphold the view of the majority before a referendum is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        Thoughts on paying a lump sum off the mortgage? I did so last year as my savings were doing nothing (obv wish I stuck it all into BTC!), the calculator reported that I'd save way more in interest over the lifetime of the mortgage by using my lump sum in this way than I would in the context of the minuscule deposit savings interest.

Another year on, I'm still disgusted by the pathetic return on my savings and am tempted by doing the same thing again.

Am guessing my plan might be the prudent one but am I missing anything crucial? Obv the opportunity cost of losing access to that lump sum is something to think about, but the only really important reason I can think of for retaining a lump sum is the need for a house deposit for the next time we move.
                                                                                        On Askaboutmoney and elsewhere any time this question comes up the advice is almost always that reducing the mortgage is the best way to use a lump sum.

Comment

I think its a big mistep for the party in the medium term to long term as that voter base will die but in the short term Martin made Leo look like he was indecisive and sitting on the fence. Perhaps it was highlighting the fact more so.

Managing to make FF look like the liberal party that is progressive in social policy and in tune with the younger population was a great political move. Fine craftsmanship that deserve a lot of respect for leaving everyone else flatfooted.

This has just walked them back further and if he was to manage to oust Martin would have FF as locked into everyones mind as the conservative catholic party destroying any chance at getting any significant share of the under 50's or women's or atheist vote - a pretty large segment of the population.

Prime example of politicians in Ireland being motivated by own constituency for reelection, party for power and finally the nation. I hope he gets slammed in the press so the rest of the TD's will scuttle away from him.

Comment

Shit political move tho and terrible for the long term sustainability of the party

Comment

Thing is Richie, most FF TD's will be on Mcgraths side on this.

Comment

A sizeable split in FF & FG would be the greatest possible legacy of the abortion referendum.

Comment

My H-Index on IPB is 51.
                                                                                                  "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                                                    My H-Index on IPB is 51.
                                                                                                    Someone needs to calculate this for reals.

Comment

Thing is Richie, most FF TD's will be on Mcgraths side on this.
                                                                                                      TD's and party fundraisers will indeed, the shit political move is because the general electorate wont be now and over time will be even less so.

It has also destroyed one of the biggest blows they have delivered to Leo's popularity with the young middle class voter.

This could lead to a fantastic party overhaul or lead to it become more entrenched in the past. Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                                                        My H-Index on IPB is 51.
                                                                                                        more like 501

Will you talk to yer bud Andy, he's been taking communion with the dark side and needs to walk back towards the light.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                          TD's and party fundraisers will indeed, the shit political move is because the general electorate wont be now and over time will be even less so.

It has also destroyed one of the biggest blows they have delivered to Leo's popularity with the young middle class voter.

This could lead to a fantastic party overhaul or lead to it become more entrenched in the past. Will be interesting to see which way it goes.
                                                                                                          As the old saying goes “If you aren’t a liberal when you’re young, you have no heart, but if you aren’t a middle-aged conservative, you have no head”

There will always be a substantial conservative voting bloc.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                            Just in case anyone hasn't seen our boy Peterson destroying modern feminism on Channel 4 on Monday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54
                                                                                                            that was really good.
                                                                                                            I would be very interested in seeing a debate or interview when he talks to someone who can challenge him.
                                                                                                            That was batting practice which allowed a lot of what he said to appear beyond rebuke.
                                                                                                            I dont know enough about it to make an assumption on his accuracy but it was very clear that the interviewer was lost.

Badgering as a form of inquiry doesn't really work with academics, you could tell (i listened only) that the whole thing just seemed to amuse him . I'd like to see how he holds up with someone more versed in the matter

Comment

Someone needs to calculate this for reals.
                                                                                                              dont give me ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                A sizeable split in FF & FG would be the greatest possible legacy of the abortion referendum.
                                                                                                                Replace civil war politics with abortion politics, class.

Comment

FF is the most absurd coalition that was ever assembled into a political party, anywhere. While I've often said I'd love to see it break up with realignment to where the individuals belong, something like 30% FG 30% Labour 30% SF and 10% independents, I do wonder sometimes if it isn't such a uniquely Irish special case that it shouldn't be left alone. If only they could insulate themselves from chancers like Charlie and Bertie.

Comment

Feck this fantasy football lark. I'm cheering on Firminho and Salah tonight...ah bollix forget it

Comment

FF is the most absurd coalition that was ever assembled into a political party, anywhere. While I've often said I'd love to see it break up with realignment to where the individuals belong, something like 30% FG 30% Labour 30% SF and 10% independents, I do wonder sometimes if it isn't such a uniquely Irish special case that it shouldn't be left alone. If only they could insulate themselves from chancers like Charlie and Bertie.
                                                                                                                      It definitely is uniquely Irish.

I thought they were dead too after 2011 but clearly that was wishful thinking.
                                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sanchez finally confirmed. Exciting

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          Sanchez finally confirmed. Exciting
                                                                                                                          It's our year

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X