Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Anything like gdax for all the exchanges?

https://www.gdax.com/trade/BTC-USD
    Internal only I'm afraid

Beta free here actually

Data.bitcoinity.org/markets/books/usd
    Last edited by Emmet; 07-12-17, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
      Think I'll jump off the rollercoaster soon. Worth 7.4k now. That could buy a lot of things I don't need. Would be fairly sick if it took a nosedive.
      Think about how it will feel when you’ve sold and it’s bumped up to enough to buy a use gulfstream V
      Sending all my prayers for a crash,sold my .709 bitc Mid October for 3300 or so,worth over 9K now

Comment

This is paet of the drop. Somebody sold 7,226.33227677 BTC $111,000,000 transaction

They bought earlier in the day when it was lower and just made millions clicking two buttons today

Comment

Looked into it further and they made 200 million today

Comment

What's the deal with this. Friend got a delivery from the US. 2 months later they get a letter saying there is customs due of x euro. Is that even binding since there was no option to decline the package etc? How can they hope to get that money back from people, very weird procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              What's the deal with this. Friend got a delivery from the US. 2 months later they get a letter saying there is customs due of x euro. Is that even binding since there was no option to decline the package etc? How can they hope to get that money back from people, very weird procedure.
              Of course it is due,why wouldn't it?

People seem to have got themselves into some bizzare headspace where they think because they can buy shit online that the rules don't apply to them

Good lol at people who will complain about homelessness,social welfare fraud or the lack of hospital beds casually discussing how much money they will steal by importing alcohol illegally.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Nuts.

Bad process. Typically Irish. If customs are due, dropped the package off at a local post office, email/send a letter/sms/facebook messenger the receiver and have the receiver pay the customs fee's at the post office.

Might keep our post offices open longer.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

People seem to have got themselves into some bizzare headspace where they think because they can buy shit online that the rules don't apply to them

Good lol at people who will complain about homelessness,social welfare fraud or the lack of hospital beds casually discussing how much money they will steal by importing alcohol illegally.
                  Think most people don’t really care about homelessness. Personally sick to death of it. I have 2 kids no job no father on site give me a house please, Most normal people work for it. A Lithuanian man died here last week we were told homeless charity’s were dealing with him for 4 years. Would they not have been better off sending him home on a flight where he might have done connections instead of him clogging up the streets here begging and being a nuisance.

Comment

Alcohol taxation is overly excessive imo. Think you're almost morally obliged to subvert the government when it becomes oppressive.

Comment

How much are flights to lanzarote usually.
                      Planning on plunging into family holiday but 600 on flights in april just seems mental
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Jack Kennedy is a ninja jockey

I think he won the race from there too. Lol. 18 years old

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                          Jack Kennedy is a ninja jockey

I think he won the race from there too. Lol. 18 years old

This was posted earlier by Strewelpeter.
                          "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                          "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Bumped into smurph and Martin today for the first time in ages. They're both looking well anyway for anyone that knows em

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                              This was posted earlier by Strewelpeter.
                              Didn't see it

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                How much are flights to lanzarote usually.
                                Planning on plunging into family holiday but 600 on flights in april just seems mental
                                Outside of June July and August i normally pay between E75 - E200 return.
                                Flying out on a Monday to Thursday will greatly decrease the price of the holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Bumped into smurph and Martin today for the first time in ages. They're both looking well anyway for anyone that knows em
                                  Martins some bollocks but Smurphs an absolute legend.
                                  LOL Cunts. Hope ye are both doing well
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Alcohol taxation is overly excessive imo. Think you're almost morally obliged to subvert the government when it becomes oppressive.
                                      LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                        Outside of June July and August i normally pay between E75 - E200 return.
                                        Flying out on a Monday to Thursday will greatly decrease the price of the holiday.
                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        Did you check Google Flights? Shows you cheapest prices for every day in April. Seems you can get down to around €145 per person return in third/fourth week of April. That's with Ryanair.
                                        Ha 3rd week in April was where I was going
                                        548 without bags... One 20kg bag is 110.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yeah. Starting to regret this whole thing
                                                Two 10kg carry on and muggins here will strap another, 10kgs for the wee one.
                                                Hmmmm

Comment

Comment

One 20Kg bag return is 50 its a set fee.
                                                    I see 3rd week April as 499 for 2adults and one child between 2 - 12 years with one 20kg bag.
                                                    The carry on bags at 10 kg can be checked on for free after security before you get on the plane once you tell the attendants.

Comment

Snooker is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                        Snooker is unreal.
                                                        O Sullivan game is good all right. All tied now going to the last.
                                                        Unlucky by Sun with the rest knocking in the blue

Comment

That's mad about the set price.
                                                          I can see it listed here

But the app states €110 for one bag... Fucking technology

Unless lanzarote is classed as long haul?

Comment

Comment

That's mad about the set price.
                                                              I can see it listed here

But the app states €110 for one bag... Fucking technology

Unless lanzarote is classed as long haul?
                                                              Sorry I was on about ryanair

Comment

I have went in April a good few times. flights usually 180 to 220 each , check kids are not on hols from school easter etc?

I never ever book on bag , we all take our hand luggage , the IT light range pennys, they are so light and fit loads

I buy all my toiletries there, its so cheap there , you could live on 500 for the week with the 3 of ye no bother, cans as little as 25 cent , vino 2 quid a bottle . dinners out dirt cheap!

full fry up up in new town The Golden Corner 2.95!

cheapest hol ever!
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Yep it's classed as 'far' Europe if you scroll down that page, so €55 a bag. That's cray cray pricing.
                                                                  God be with the days when people used to pay more than that, to have a cheque delivered fro D4 to D16.
                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Chuggers ruin Christmas.

Should be legal to tip them into the Liffey imo.
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

And another thing!

Men who can dance well are intrinsicly untrustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        And another thing!

Men who can dance well are intrinsicly untrustworthy.
                                                                        Correct . Guy waltzed right out with my wallet from McDonald's once.

Comment

Can thoroughly recommend The Grimm Tale of Cinderella on at Smock Alley until the 23rd. There both kids there from age 7 or so to people in their 70s+ I presume were from an old folk's home with their carers.

Comment

uncle features in this , dodge looking lad with the dyed yellow hair lol

grandfather worked there 30 odd yrs, some downer when it closed. all my family worked there!

Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

I just can't see how it can grow with the constraints? There's a limit on the transaction speed, and the energy use is ginormous and growing?
                                                                              Given the enery use is huge, doesn't it make sense that it's only sustainable at high values.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                              No, but high end graphics cards are selling like hot cakes, because the calcs for mining bitcoins are very similar as those for rendering 3D images. Investing in Nvidia and/or AMD stock would be the correct approach here, I guess?
                                                                              Do graphics cards themselves do the calcs? That's interesting, I wonder how many 3s artists are leasing out render farms.
                                                                              Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                              It basically means you are getting an effective ~6%p.a. gross return on low risk cash and enjoying immediate access to same. You consider this to be shit and are looking for an alternative higher yielding investment. Is that a fair summary?
                                                                              Not quite a fair summary. I don't consider the offset close to shit. I think it's a great deal and I'll not get close to 4% from a bank ever. I've set 5 accounts to offset for a reason. I earn no interest from the bank.

I also benefit that if the rates ever skyrocket, my hypothetical gross returns also go up.
                                                                              However it's only 6% on interest I'm forced to declare.
                                                                              If I could, for example, get 5% online where the money was process by paypal. That would beat my offset.
                                                                              I'm just wonder if there is anything I could do that would return better that by current arrangement - because this require no effort, I'm surprised if it turns out to be the best.

Comment

It's more about how is it a viable currency if it's using more power than Denmark to turn over a relatively tiny amount of transactions.

Comment

Yeah. Starting to regret this whole thing
                                                                                  Two 10kg carry on and muggins here will strap another, 10kgs for the wee one.
                                                                                  Hmmmm
                                                                                  You should have up to two free checked items for the child as well. Amazing the amount of extra stuff you can fit into a bag carrying a car seat or a buggy

Comment

Have now seen several people on twitter (through retweets) who have supposidly bought a few hundred bitcoin back c2011 for peanuts who are giving away a half dozen for christmas ro whoever retweets. They all follow the same narrative. Whats the story or scam there? Example below....

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                      Do graphics cards themselves do the calcs? That's interesting, I wonder how many 3s artists are leasing out render farms.
                                                                                      Graphics cards are awesome for doing any calculations that are massively parallel. I got an order of magnitude improvement moving a work task from a 4 pc cluster onto 4 high end (at the time) graphics cards. The downside is they get run pretty hard so after a few years you have to replace them as they start giving errors. I've heard anecdotally that you might get 18 months out of a bitcoin rig but if I remember correctly those are now purpose built instead of slapping a load of 1080ti into frames.
                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Has Ireland just made it so that Britain is going to stay in the EU?

Comment

Perhaps...maybe...who knows (because the Brits certainly don't)

Big win for the Government here in any case

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Have now seen several people on twitter (through retweets) who have supposidly bought a few hundred bitcoin back c2011 for peanuts who are giving away a half dozen for christmas ro whoever retweets. They all follow the same narrative. Whats the story or scam there? Example below....

Could be looking for marks. People who post on social media are targets for hacks:

At about 9pm on Tuesday, August 22 a hacker swapped his or her own SIM card with mine, presumably by calling T-Mobile. This, in turn, shut off network

Comment

Not the EU, perhaps the EEA (Norway) which would suit us just fine.

Comment

Called it.

Comment

...

Comment

It's more about how is it a viable currency if it's using more power than Denmark to turn over a relatively tiny amount of transactions.
                                                                                                    Is it not the mining that requires power rather than transactions. Or do transactions cease to be verified without mining.
                                                                                                    What happens when the bonus bitcoins for mine my stop coming?

Comment

The energy per TX is artificially high for now, if you raise the block size you get more efficient, double the blocksize double the efficiency, hence bitcoin cash is much more energy efficient than bitcoin AFAIK. The reason they don't for now is they are working on alternatives that rely on less centralisation.

Issue isn't that customs are due, of course they are. It's an issue with their process. When you receive a package they charge you their own fee also, that is €10-15. Customers have a right to refuse the package, not pay this fee or customs and return it. What Fedex are doing is delivering the package to you in person, not mentioning the fees or customs (which are quite often not collected at all by the government unless you owe a certain amount ), not giving people proof they even paid anything and then once you have had the item for a while send you a bill, meaning you can't "not accept" or return it as you have used it for months.

Did you check Google Flights? Shows you cheapest prices for every day in April. Seems you can get down to around €145 per person return in third/fourth week of April. That's with Ryanair.
                                                                                                      A single flight can power a home for 61 years, I just can't see how this business will continue!

Given the enery use is huge, doesn't it make sense that it's only sustainable at high values.
                                                                                                      GFX cards do but there are also specially designed ASICs (clue is in the name Application-specific integrated circuit). The advantage of this is efficiency, the historical disadvantage is not being able to mine another coin type, but people seem to be solving that with more modular FPGA systems.

Comment

Not quite a fair summary. I don't consider the offset close to shit. I think it's a great deal and I'll not get close to 4% from a bank ever. I've set 5 accounts to offset for a reason. I earn no interest from the bank.

I also benefit that if the rates ever skyrocket, my hypothetical gross returns also go up.
                                                                                                        However it's only 6% on interest I'm forced to declare.
                                                                                                        If I could, for example, get 5% online where the money was process by paypal. That would beat my offset.
                                                                                                        I'm just wonder if there is anything I could do that would return better that by current arrangement - because this require no effort, I'm surprised if it turns out to be the best.
                                                                                                        So you're looking for some way to avoid declaring investment return? That's got it's own set of a risks in an information sharing world....plus if some offshore cash saving opportunity was offering 3-4%p.a. you should be asking a lot of questions as to why....

As for the return versus effort debate. For low risk return, things like paying in a lump sum upfront, offsetting mortgages, cash discounts on big purchases are are often times a great way of getting a superior low risk return so you really shouldn't be too surprised that what you are currently doing may well be the best. You're suffering from a bias to action which hurts a lot of savers....

Any type of normal investment is simply not going to return 5%+ without significant capital risk at the minute.
                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Anyone a member of Complicité by any chance and fancy sending me a presale code?

Comment

A single flight can power a home for 61 years, I just can't see how this business will continue!
                                                                                                            Vegans don't fly, do they

More seriously though I think that is a real problem we are ignoring. Using numbers as random as your 61 year per flight...
                                                                                                            With it being past peak oil and no prospect of any technology that will lift 500 people into the air and shoot them halfway across the world without being propelled by vast amounts of hydrocarbons in prospect, IMO if we still want to be flying Jumbo jets in a hundred years time we should have stopped wasting oil in cars and power stations decades ago. That or price oil at what it is actually worth based on scarcity rather than cost of production.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              Sure let me know what they say when you ring
                                                                                                              Eventually rang them after getting another email warning me to do so. First thing I hear from the automated answering service is how busy their lines are. Eventually get through to an operator after maybe ten minutes on hold. He goes through the security rigmarole for ~2 minutes and finally says 'we have your new address in Limerick on file'.

I asked him did I need to call up to confirm as per email and he says no sure you changed it on the website, calling up is just for your own peace of mind.

Well run set up.

We are writing to you because you have already registered for Online Account Management with Irish Water with this email address.

The refunds process for domestic water charges has now begun. The refunds will happen on a phased basis and the vast majority of refunds should be paid before Christmas.

We want to ensure that we have the correct details for you so you can receive your refund without any delay.

If you have moved and have not yet told us, please call us on Call Save 1850 448 448 or +353 1 707 2824 to update your details.*

Please have your WPRN and Account Number to hand, alternatively a number of security questions will be asked to protect your account.

*emphasis Irish Water's

Comment

Issue isn't that customs are due, of course they are. It's an issue with their process. When you receive a package they charge you their own fee also, that is €10-15. Customers have a right to refuse the package, not pay this fee or customs and return it. What Fedex are doing is delivering the package to you in person, not mentioning the fees or customs (which are quite often not collected at all by the government unless you owe a certain amount ), not giving people proof they even paid anything and then once you have had the item for a while send you a bill, meaning you can't "not accept" or return it as you have used it for months.
                                                                                                                Is there a downside to telling FedEx to go fuck themselves?
                                                                                                                The taxman has his money. Johnny has his whiskey. And FedEx have delivered their traditionally leverage.

Comment

More seriously though I think that is a real problem we are ignoring. Using numbers as random as your 61 year per flight...
                                                                                                                  With it being past peak oil and no prospect of any technology that will lift 500 people into the air and shoot them halfway across the world without being propelled by vast amounts of hydrocarbons in prospect, IMO if we still want to be flying Jumbo jets in a hundred years time we should have stopped wasting oil in cars and power stations decades ago. That or price oil at what it is actually worth based on scarcity rather than cost of production.

Comment

The energy per TX is artificially high for now, if you raise the block size you get more efficient, double the blocksize double the efficiency, hence bitcoin cash is much more energy efficient than bitcoin AFAIK. The reason they don't for now is they are working on alternatives that rely on less centralisation.

GFX cards do but there are also specially designed ASICs (clue is in the name Application-specific integrated circuit). The advantage of this is efficiency, the historical disadvantage is not being able to mine another coin type, but people seem to be solving that with more modular FPGA systems.
                                                                                                                    Intel shares straight to the moon

Comment

There's always money in the shovels.

Comment

Get the scientists working on the tube technology immediately.

Comment

Anyone been to Peruke restaurant in Dawson's st. Reports? Group of us for new year

Risky name with the word puke in it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X