Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Pretty sure the only way to make money mining is with subsidised electricity and massive computing power.

The power usage of BTC means it's totally unsustainable imo. 100k BTC is a pipe dream.
    Friend has 4 FPGA ASICs in a shed in Dublin, they make $20 each per day on average, must ask about them again.

Friends father is a miner in Venezuela with 9 mining systems, think he's doing pretty well.

99% of coins will be mined by 2032 but 100% are only mined 100 years later.

Energy use is a pretty bad problem for the environment. AFAIK bitcoin is only inefficient due to the blocksize, the more you scale that the more efficient it is. IF it could handle visa amount of traffic it would be more efficient than the visa network.

Thank god we will have all the eco warriors out over bitcoin and nothing else.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-11-17, 10:54.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Is there a good thread to work out what would be needed?

Also loving the idea of gardai swat team detecting abnormal electricity usage to smash down doors only to find no marijuana growroom but instead a neckbeard screaming at a machine going 'gimme my precious btc you bastards'.

hmm, thinking this through a bit further. Maybe the profit opportunity is in growing weed as the assumption by policing powers will be that excess electricity usage is just someone mining btc.

"...and thats how the gang became druglords"
          There's online calculators

Accurate Bitcoin mining calculator trusted by millions of cryptocurrency miners since 2013. Maximize Bitcoin mining profits and calculate ROI for new ASIC miners. Updated in 2024, the newest version of the BTC mining calculator makes it simple and easy to quickly calculate mining profitability for your Bitcoin mining hardware.

Comment

TED . I am most confused.

Comment

Ugh...just checked my bitcoin exchange account there and realised that I sold approx. 10 BTC between June last year and Feb this Year.

Comment

You had 10 bitcoin or is the decimal point misplaced in your sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  Thank god we will have all the eco warriors out over bitcoin and nothing else.
                  LOL

Bacon from free range pigs is more qualified to be called vegan than BTC and that is a fact
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                    Ugh...just checked my bitcoin exchange account there and realised that I sold approx. 10 BTC between June last year and Feb this Year.
                    Probably made money and it made sense? Were you using them a lot or just decided to sell off?

A friend in work has 300 bitcoin (3 million), serious envy there. Again was just using it to buy stuff off silk road.

Comment

I've never been more sure of anything than I am of all this ending in tears.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                        You had 10 bitcoin or is the decimal point misplaced in your sentence?
                        Probably made money and it made sense? Were you using them a lot or just decided to sell off?

A friend in work has 300 bitcoin (3 million), serious envy there. Again was just using it to buy stuff off silk road.
                        Got a few payouts from a gambling company in BTC over the months that totalled approx 10 BTC. Cashed them out immediately each time,

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          Got a few payouts from a gambling company in BTC over the months that totalled approx 10 BTC. Cashed them out immediately each time,
                          Scarleh for ya.

Comment

I was on the verge of cancelling my sub but then came the best news I've had in ages

ECM have released their full catalogue onto Spotify

The ECM record label was long a holdout against streaming, with boss Manfred Eicher believing in the integrity of the "album".

Comment

Just signed up to a 3 month free trial of kindle unlimited. Must set my reminder up to cancel in just under 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                I was on the verge of cancelling my sub but then came the best news I've had in ages

ECM have released their full catalogue onto Spotify

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/m...d-in-1.3302677
                                Why on the verge ?

Comment

Unless he had 600 last week and has 300 now hes not well in the head

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                    Why on the verge ?
                                    Lack of ECM was a huge thing for me
                                    Software is LOLbad and annoying.
                                    Search rarely works on mobile and is shit when it does work making and maintaining playlists is hard work instead of being fun.
                                    10,000 songs library limit is a dumb and difficult to work around.
                                    Discover tracks and radio have got worse instead of better in the last while.
                                    Not enough money going to artists.

Comment

Unless he had 600 last week and has 300 now hes not well in the head
                                      No idea, will inquire. Pretty sure he has been buying and selling for years as I remember him recently finding an old wallet with 13 BTC in it that he had traded one day. He was the one that taught me about it a few years back. He probably doesn't care as he is rich already without bitcoin, just loves his job. Mad to hold for an average person all right.
                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-11-17, 12:40.

Comment

Just signed up to a 3 month free trial of kindle unlimited. Must set my reminder up to cancel in just under 3 months.
                                        Could you do this and download as many books as you want, then cancel?

seems like a win-win, where's the catch?
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                          I've never been more sure of anything than I am of all this ending in tears.
                                          Bring on the Fed (or the ECB). Either could shut this down instantly.

Comment

Having experienced a good few bubbles by this stage of my life, it is much harder guessing when a bubble will burst than identifying it in the first place! No idea myself if this is a bubble or not, but seems like there is still money to be made... I've told myself that despite thinking 'hold on, this must be a bubble' twice in the past and being right both times, but being surprised how many years the bubble continued to inflate post-realisation, that I'd take full advantage in the future.

This being said the stock market has to be in bubble territory again, the valuations seem bizarre to me and QE is due to start winding down!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              Pretty sure the only way to make money mining is with subsidised electricity and massive computing power.

The power usage of BTC means it's totally unsustainable imo. 100k BTC is a pipe dream.
                                              https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-mine-ethereum

Comment

Lack of ECM was a huge thing for me
                                                Software is LOLbad and annoying.
                                                Search rarely works on mobile and is shit when it does work making and maintaining playlists is hard work instead of being fun.
                                                10,000 songs library limit is a dumb and difficult to work around.
                                                Discover tracks and radio have got worse instead of better in the last while.
                                                Not enough money going to artists.
                                                I'm a fan . 10k songs plenty for me . No more piles of cds strewn around the car

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                  Having experienced a good few bubbles by this stage of my life, it is much harder guessing when a bubble will burst than identifying it in the first place! No idea myself if this is a bubble or not, but seems like there is still money to be made... I've told myself that despite thinking 'hold on, this must be a bubble' twice in the past and being right both times, but being surprised how many years the bubble continued to inflate post-realisation, that I'd take full advantage in the future.

This being said the stock market has to be in bubble territory again, the valuations seem bizarre to me and QE is due to start winding down!
                                                  Starting to think the same way in regard to Bitcoin. I assume the value now would be in investing in some of the smaller micro cryptos?

Comment

To follow on from a post earlier this week; I really need to stop following or checking on Trump news, it's having an adverse impact on my mental health.

This is just insane. Are the deplorables just lapping this shit up?

HOW THE FUCK DOES HIS STAFF ALLOW HIM UNRESTRICTED USE OF THE INTERNET!!!! I feel like my brain is going to melt down at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      To follow on from a post earlier this week; I really need to stop following or checking on Trump news, it's having an adverse impact on my mental health.

This is just insane. Are the deplorables just lapping this shit up?

HOW THE FUCK DOES HIS STAFF ALLOW HIM UNRESTRICTED USE OF THE INTERNET!!!! I feel like my brain is going to melt down at some stage.
                                                      This is normal for Trump though.

He was always going to go nuts in the WH bubble, it will require something much worse than this for the rednecks to disown him.

Comment

Comment

If bitcoin takes a beating the confidence is lost and the others crumble. Brand name in this case is beating out technology so much so that it doesn't matter if others are better right now.

Btw, if you bought a bitcoin yesterday you'd have made 2k by this afternoon. Trading at 11.5k now.

Comment

lol it's fucking mental...checked my .546 value before lunch and it was just over €5k...now €5230. Made 200 bucks eating lunch.

Comment

Yeah I came back from lunch and was told I'd made some money. I've 70x my "investment" at this stage, lmao.

Really serious mac expoit discovered btw: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/11/...-password-now/

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Could you do this and download as many books as you want, then cancel?

seems like a win-win, where's the catch?
                                                                You essentially just rent them. You can have 10 at a time and when your subscription ends, so does your access to them. For anyone that reads a couple of books a month though, it's value. Audio books and magazines included too.

Comment

No, I'd say not. Either bitcoin or nothing imo.

Read a good few papers on this general idea of investing in second rank investments to get into a bubble on the cheap and its always those laggards that get absolutely pummeled when the bubble pops.

As a simple example, think people starting with idea that property in South Dublin is quite cheap, but that keeps rising, so they explore Naas, that keeps rising, and they end up buying in Leitrim.

The smaller cryptos are smaller for a reason. If you're jumping in then jump in on Bitcoin and nothing else.

At least thats the lesson from regular financial asset investing.
                                                                  Definitely makes sense, however I’m hearing the smaller cryptos have substantially better techonology. Could buying Bitcoin be like buying Bebo and there’s a Facebook on the way?

Comment

You can kill the payment straight away I think. I had a trial for a while but couldn't find any books on it I wanted. I seem to remember there was no way to just do a search for all available Kindle unlimited books to browse through?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      You can kill the payment straight away I think. I had a trial for a while but couldn't find any books on it I wanted. I seem to remember there was no way to just do a search for all available Kindle unlimited books to browse through?
                                                                      I haven't really had a good poke at it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                        Definitely makes sense, however I’m hearing the smaller cryptos have substantially better techonology. Could buying Bitcoin be like buying Bebo and there’s a Facebook on the way?
                                                                        I don't think you should look at them like that
                                                                        If no one is using your coin to buy and sell things it has no value.

To understand what is going on you have to try to get a handle on what money actually is and what currency means. You'll fairly quickly realise that the smaller ones are not and never will be currency. BTC might or not be a currency but it is definitely unsustainable as one and currently is only used for two types of transaction , criminal trading and speculation. The smaller ones are only useful for speculation.
                                                                        Think of them as tulips.

Comment

Comment

Ouch..currently studying for 7 flying exams with a pass rate of 75% that form the theoretical part of the course that will allow me to fly in cloud and into the airspace the airliners use by default rather than having to beg.
                                                                            The sheers volume of mind numbing crap really is something. Would say about 5% of the air law module is stuff I'll ever have to recall again.

Comment

...

Comment

34/40 and pass was 35/40!!! Ugh. We ride again. Booked in for Saturday morning in the hope of binking it in time for wife's birthday on Sunday.
                                                                                Let's all hope you pass the practical convincingly rather than 'bink' it.

Comment

...

Comment

Just back from lunch . My fitbit reports some gains

Comment

meh all the current french drivers have presumably passed the practical convincingly and it hasn't helped them to drive properly.
                                                                                      Le M50 is full of French drivers in that case .

Comment

If bitcoin takes a beating the confidence is lost and the others crumble. Brand name in this case is beating out technology so much so that it doesn't matter if others are better right now.

Btw, if you bought a bitcoin yesterday you'd have made 2k by this afternoon. Trading at 11.5k now.

First it giveth
                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-11-17, 15:47.

Comment

Oh jeez I hope the end of that sentence is good Rick.

Comment

meh all the current french drivers have presumably passed the practical convincingly and it hasn't helped them to drive properly.
                                                                                            Irish drivers are a hell of a lot worse drivers than the French tbh. they just don't have a notion. The fact you can drive in Ireland without even having a licence is crazy (i think that may have changed though?)

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                              Irish drivers are a hell of a lot worse drivers than the French tbh. they just don't have a notion. The fact you can drive in Ireland without even having a licence is crazy (i think that may have changed though?)
                                                                                              It hasn't been legal for a learner to drive unaccompanied for a good few years. Enforcement is a different matter though.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                You don't know bad drivers until you've lived in Malta. It's a whole new level of bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                  You don't know bad drivers until you've lived in Malta. It's a whole new level of bad!
                                                                                                  I felt the same about NZ, I don't know whether getting a license was more or less difficult than Ireland but I felt the lack of personal responsibility through no compulsory insurance was a factor because they are erratic to say the least.

Comment

I see the thoughts of going to prison for 20 years weren't an option for one of the Bosnians up in the Hague. He died shortly after this....

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                        ok lets tell em!

me V dice , me 2 black 8s , Dice 2 red 8s

board ran out

fucking wanker!!!!!

however the depression upon his face from the aftermath from night before was worth the 170 buyin to lose to him
                                                                                                        from experience it's
                                                                                                        i've shit
                                                                                                        **flop**
                                                                                                        you're ahead
                                                                                                        **turn**
                                                                                                        you're ahead
                                                                                                        **river**
                                                                                                        I've the nuts.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have been recommended Coinbase as the best place to buy Bitcoin, is this a good option could anyone say?

Comment

they're currently offline

Comment

The main French thing is inability to stop at pedestrian crossings. And a very strong tendency to drink-drive. Apart from that they're grand. Suppose they're not at Irish level of speeding up when it is raining to increase the thrill of danger to pedestrians and inability to work out that they won't win in a fight with the luas. And the Irish ability to kill cyclists is world-beating.
                                                                                                              Think that Dublin is totally unsuited to cycling. Bad roads a lack of cycle lanes which often merge into the traffic again. People skips parked in cycle lanes. Cyclists dressed like ninjas regardless of the weather breaking lights going between two moving buses if they close you will be squashed. Not wearing helmets it’s a risk cycling you are very vulnerable if you get a tip off a car. I used to cycle extensively when I lived in Holland cycle lanes segregated and very safe and the the place is flat which helps.

Comment

Hitch & Zuutroy on RTE1 at the mo...

Comment

Who on the what now?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                    Am being absolutely pestered by recruiters at the moment. Here's hoping for a big uplift in my near future.
                                                                                                                    Couple of people left my department recently (same level) for cushier jobs in industry recently for an ~70% uplift. I think I'm mad sometimes!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I hope Tar is doing refunds

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X